DEVIL'S SNARE ━ james sirius...

By heavnlys

TANGLED IN YOUR LOVE. in which james sirius potter doesn't think laurel scamander will fall in love with him... More

[ 00. PREFACE
▬▬ 00. EPIGRAPH
▬▬ 00. TRAILER
「 ACT ONE 」
▬▬ 01. RADIANT
▬▬ 02. CHOCOLATE PUDDING
▬▬ 03. PLATONIC
▬▬ 04. ARRESTO MOMENTUM
▬▬ 05. ACCIO
▬▬ 06. DEVIL'S SNARE
▬▬ 07. IMPOSSIBLE
▬▬ 08. SUFFOCATING
▬▬ 09. THE BIRTHDAY OF ALL BIRTHDAYS
▬▬ 10. ENIGMA
▬▬ 11. THE WORLD
▬▬ 12. DANCING WITH AN ANGEL
▬▬ 13. IT SUITS YOU
▬▬ 14. BAFFLE ME
▬▬ 15. STARS & NICKNAMES
▬▬ 16. THE GOODBYE
「 ACT TWO 」
▬▬ 17. LOVE & LOSS
▬▬ 18. I MISS YOU
▬▬ 19. STAY
▬▬ 20. DRUNK & WILD
▬▬ 21. SKETCHES & POETRY
▬▬ 22. THE ASTRONOMY TOWER
▬▬ 23. GARBAGE BOY
▬▬ 24. COURTROOM NINE
▬▬ 25. NEVER ALONE
▬▬ 26. I'M NOT LEAVING HER
▬▬ 27. TIGER LILIES & SUNFLOWERS
「 ACT THREE 」
▬▬ 28. THE BLUE ENVELOPE
▬▬ 29. CHANCES
▬▬ 30. NEW YORK
▬▬ 32. NOT OVER YOU
▬▬ 33. EVER AGAIN
▬▬ 34. HEAVENLY
「 EPILOGUE 」
[ 000. POSTFACE

▬▬ 31. DÉJÀ VU

5.8K 244 234
By heavnlys

CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE
━━━━ DÉJÀ VU  ━━━━

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

JAMES BURST THROUGH the revolving doors. "Laurel!"
⠀⠀The blonde let out a scream, jumping back, a hand over her chest. "Fuck!" Her blue eyes met his, glancing up and down at him. "James?"
⠀⠀"Yeah, it's me," James breathed, like a sigh of relief. They stood apart, Laurel looking at him in disbelief. Part of her wanted to hug him, but the other part wanted to punch him. In two years, he had barely changed. He was just standing there, looking at her, with his stupid glasses, his stupid messy black hair, and his stupid, stupid smile.

⠀⠀Everything seemed to come rushing over her like a wave, her initial shock turning into anger.

⠀⠀"Fuck you!" Laurel yelled, James' grin immediately falling off his face as she shoved him. "You-you...how could you?! You know you were an absolute...dickhead—" she shoved him again— "for leaving like that! If you think for one bloody second that some little letter does it for an apology then you couldn't be more wrong!"—she was really close to his face now— "How could you just up and leave like that? How could you leave us?!" How could you leave me?

⠀⠀Neither of them noticed the passerby's staring at them. Laurel's chest heaved as she glared at him, breathless, her blue eyes burning, her nostrils flaring. James simply stared back, wide-eyed, a little intimidated. At the same time, he was just a little turned on.

⠀⠀Her voice was quiet now. James didn't know if this was scarier. "Your letter was a shitty way of re-entering our lives." She pulled back from him, looking away, trying to hide her eyes that were swimming in pain, the fire diffused. Laurel turned to look at him again. "Do you have any idea how much we missed you, James?" Her voice almost broke at his name and he didn't miss it.

⠀⠀"Trust me," James said quietly, "I did."
⠀⠀They didn't say anything for a minute, the loud honks, people, and cars passing by filling the silence that kept them one foot apart.
⠀⠀"That's it?" Laurel asked in disbelief. "That's all you have to say for yourself?"
⠀⠀James blinked, thinking of how to respond. "Why don't we get some food? I'll explain anything over lunch," he suggested. Laurel hesitated for a moment, staring at him suspiciously.
⠀⠀"Fine," Laurel grumbled, grabbing a hold of her trunk. "Where to?"
⠀⠀"A classic American diner," James said, a small smile creeping across his face. At least here he could take her out for food without anyone following them and writing about them on the Prophet's next issue.
⠀⠀Laurel didn't respond, strategically turning her trunk into a smaller size to fit in her coat pocket with a quick flick of her wand, making sure none of the Muggles saw. Then she nodded to James to lead the way, following him side-by-side without making conversation.

⠀⠀The diner was only about a ten-minute walk away from the Woolworth Building. It was a silver restaurant with a bright red neon-light sign displaying its name in the front and a checkered black and white floor. All the booths were made up of a table between red leather cushioned seats, Laurel and James sliding into one as the waiter took their drinks. The restaurant was mostly empty, with a couple of people scattered throughout the place, but then again, it was late in the day for lunch.

⠀⠀"Two waters please," James said, sliding off his jacket. The waiter nodded and left the two at the booth.
⠀⠀"I can order myself, you know," Laurel said, taking off her jacket as well.
⠀⠀"Oh—did you want something else other than water?" James asked as the waiter brought their glasses, ready to take their order. "You always drink water."
⠀⠀"No, it's fine," she replied, taking a sip.
⠀⠀James didn't respond, looking at the menu. "I'll have the Philly cheesesteak."
⠀⠀"And I'll have the chicken quesadillas, please," Laurel said right after James, without missing a beat. "With sour cream and salsa, thanks." James looked at her quizzically as the waiter took their menus and left with their orders.
⠀⠀"You know what a quesadilla is?" he asked, almost laughing.
⠀⠀"Yeah," Laurel replied like it was obvious, taking a sip of her water, "Evan ordered some one time. But you obviously weren't there."
⠀⠀James couldn't keep himself from rolling his eyes. "Fine. You want the explanation? Fine. I didn't mean to leave for that long. I was only supposed to be gone for six months."
⠀⠀"But you've been gone for two years."
⠀⠀"I'm getting there. I was sent on an undercover mission here because, not to brag or anything, but I was my teacher's best student. I couldn't tell anyone because it was undercover. I was supposed to be a mole within an ancient British wizard organization that cropped up recently here—"
⠀⠀"Sumaca?"
⠀⠀"Yes. They were trying to overthrow the MACUSA since their plans didn't work in England. They're pretty much banned from ever stepping foot in Great Britain ever again." He chuckled and then continued, his tone somber.
⠀⠀"Someone ousted me near the end of my mission and that was about six months after I had left home—" he paused. Home. He shook the thought away.
⠀⠀"Anyway, just when I thought I had finished my work, they showed up again. New victims have been dying because of some sort of poisoning since the end of that six-month mark. I've been trying to track them down, but of course with a lot of struggle. I've managed to find new leads, but no one here can figure them out."
⠀⠀"That's why you need my help?" Laurel asked.
⠀⠀"Yeah." And I just really needed to see you.

⠀⠀Laurel didn't say anything as their food came. She waited for the server to leave before speaking again, picking up the silverware wrapped neatly in a white paper napkin.

⠀⠀"If you're not undercover anymore, why didn't you tell us? Why did you stay in New York for another year and a half without a word to us?" She tried not to sound so desperate.
⠀⠀James sighed, trying to find the words, taking a bite out of his sandwich.
⠀⠀He finally spoke after swallowing. "I guess...I just wanted to protect you. I was scared that they'd find a way to hurt you or our friends back in England. My family would be fine, they've always been, but you guys...not so much." Besides, you would be fine without me.
⠀⠀"You know, they would've found out whether or not you kept in contact with us," Laurel reasoned. "An organization like that? They have smart people. You can't be dumb to do organized crime."
⠀⠀"I know. I just w—"
⠀⠀"You just worry?" Laurel chuckled, a bit darkly. "We were fucking worried too." She lowered her voice, glancing around the diner, looking straight into his dark honey eyes. They had grown so much older and worn out since the day she fell in love with them. But that didn't change her feelings. Nor did the anger she felt change her feelings.
⠀⠀"We didn't know where on this wretched earth you were," Laurel continued, jabbing her finger into the slightly greasy top of the table with every word. "Your mother was worried sick. Even your father, who knows about almost everything that happens in the Auror Department, didn't know. That's what terrified us out the most. You left us with nothing, James. Nothing."
⠀⠀"I get it," James said calmly. "I'm sorry. I really am." He paused, wiping his hands on his napkin. "But if you're so angry with me, why are you here?"
⠀⠀"What does that mean?" She was ready to explode, her eyebrows furrowed together. "You asked me for help. You seemed desperate enough for it! There is no other reason why I'm here other than purely professional."
⠀⠀The words felt heavy on her tongue. She didn't let on that she had broken up with her boyfriend and come to New York just to help her ex-boyfriend, one that she was still very much in love with.

⠀⠀James, on the other hand, felt his heart sink. He looked into her eyes and saw nothing of that. He was hoping that she was there for him, but he didn't let that on either.
⠀⠀"Fine. That's what I wanted to hear," he lied, looking down at his food. Repressing the frustration inside, he softened his voice. "I'll take you to the headquarters after lunch. Do you have somewhere to stay?" James was careful with his next words. "You can stay with me if you'd like."
⠀⠀Laurel paused from eating her quesadillas, wiping her mouth with her napkin. She took a minute before replying. "No, it's alright. I'm staying at the Gold Moon nearby."
⠀⠀James shrugged it off and nodded. He really just wanted an excuse to spend more time with her.

⠀⠀"So how have you liked New York?" Laurel asked, keeping emotion out of her voice.
⠀⠀"It's been alright," James said, smiling a little. "I literally have one friend here and people are obsessed with my accent."
⠀⠀Laurel let out a chuckle. "Yeah, I know. Did you see the waiter looking at us before?"
⠀⠀James shook his head. "I suppose I've gotten used to it."
⠀⠀"Yeah, you're starting to talk a bit like them too," Laurel teased, smiling at him.
⠀⠀"Oh, please." James rolled his eyes. But he was smiling too.
⠀⠀They sat in silence for a second, eating their food.
⠀⠀"Listen," Laurel piped up, exhaling, "I don't want to be angry with you. I want us to get along so we finish this case. Just for the job. Nothing more. If we get any emotions involved, it could get messy."
⠀⠀"No, you're right," he replied. No, you're wrong. "Just for the job. What's past is past." You're supposed to be my future.
⠀⠀Laurel nodded. But she wished that he had reached his hand across the table and told her that once this case was over, they could figure out whatever it was that was between them. But he didn't. She didn't know how to feel.

⠀⠀They spent the rest of the meal talking about things back in England and the differences between Americans and Brits. It felt like they were back to where they were before he had left, before she had broken his heart. But they avoided that specific topic as much as possible.
⠀⠀By the end of it, the early anger in Laurel had diffused, their relationship turning amiable. Laurel refused to let James pay in full, paying him back as they left the diner. They began heading back to the Woolworth Building, James strategically weaving through the thick crowds. He didn't realize he left Laurel behind in a swarming crowd of people. Turning around to talk to her about the buildings they were passing, he realized she was gone. His eyes scanned the crowd, looking for her familiar blonde ponytail. James spotted her looking around, her eyebrows knit in slight worry.  

⠀⠀He hurried towards her, reaching for her arm, his hands on her shoulders, whipping her around to look at him. Relief seemed to wash over her face as he reached her, looking into his eyes. For a second, she forgot how close they were. For a second, she relished in that fact. Laurel smiled a bit. "You walk too fast."
⠀⠀James laughed softly. "Come on, slowpoke."

⠀⠀With his hand lightly on her elbow, they walked back to the Woolworth, both hyperaware of their predicament. It was odd for Laurel. She was angry with him, but she found it difficult to remain angry with him. She didn't know why he was being so kind since she was the first to break his heart. Over and over again. But James Potter had always been kind. She knew that from the first day she had met him. Really met him. His soft brown eyes had always been kind to her and others. Maybe a bit too kind. Laurel looked at him as they approached the Woolworth, smiling to herself.

⠀⠀"What?" James asked, looking at her, slightly amused. Laurel shook her head and turned her attention back to their destination. She hoped she would leave New York on at least good terms with him.

⠀⠀They headed inside the building, Laurel receiving a special pass. In a few minutes, she was already meeting with Howard in his office, shaking his slimy hand. She subtly wiped the palm of her hand on the inside of her coat pocket. Gross.
⠀⠀"So you're the Investigative Healer Potter requested," Howard said, looking at Laurel up and down. James was standing close to her, his body angled in a protective manner, which Howard didn't fail to notice, eyeing James as well.
⠀⠀"Yes, sir," Laurel replied, aware of his gaze that was not entirely professional. She pulled her coat a tighter around her, hands in her pockets.
⠀⠀Howard smiled, taking his cigar out of his mouth. Laurel wanted to gag. "Where are you staying? Maybe we could go out for coffee sometime?"
⠀⠀Laurel's eyes grew, her mouth hanging open slightly, suppressing her laugh as she glanced at James. Then she looked at Howard again, her eyes flitting to the gold wedding band on the hand holding his cigar. It was an interesting design, especially for a wedding band. The ring had a leaf pattern around it. "Sir...aren't you married?"
⠀⠀Howard let out a puff of smoke. "Does that matter?" he pointed the cigar at her and winked.
⠀⠀Laurel was too caught off guard to respond, James placing a firm grasp on her elbow. "I think we'll be going now, sir," James said, excusing the two of them before Howard could say anything else to make Laurel completely uncomfortable.
⠀⠀"I'll see you around Miss Scamander!" Howard called after them as James shut the door behind them.
⠀⠀"I'm so sorry," James said as soon as they reached his desk, his hands on her shoulders again. "I should've warned you. He's a pervert."
⠀⠀Laurel let out an uncomfortable laugh. "I can tell. I'm sorry for all the women who work here with you."

⠀⠀Before James could respond, a distinct voice piped up behind them. "I hope Howard didn't make a terrible impression for all of us."
⠀⠀James and Laurel turned around, finding Avani smiling at both of them, her hand out for Laurel to shake. "Avani Fang."
⠀⠀"Laurel Scamander," Laurel replied, smiling as she shook Avani's hand. "Pleasure." James was a little on edge about the two of them meeting. He knew it was inevitable but he was still nervous.

⠀⠀"Wait—Scamander?" Avani asked. "You mean like Newt Scamander?"
⠀⠀Laurel chuckled. "Yeah. He's my great-grandfather. I didn't think he'd be famous around these regions."
⠀⠀"Oh, no. He's not. I'm just a nerd and read a lot of things." Avani and Laurel shared a laugh.
⠀⠀"Well, I'm glad you two got acquainted, but Laurel and I have to work now," James said, placing his hands on Laurel's shoulders again, dragging her away to some room, grabbing his case file off his desk. Avani rolled her eyes as Laurel waved and let James pull her away.

⠀⠀"Where are we going?" Laurel asked as she followed James down a corridor.
⠀⠀"The morgue," James answered, pushing open a door, revealing a dimly lit room. It smelled putrid and Laurel quietly gagged. As much as she had seen dead bodies she would never get used to the smell. "Yeah, sorry. Should've warned you. Lumos Maxima."

⠀⠀The room immediately lit up, revealing rows of floating dead bodies encased in golden bubbles to keep them from decomposing.
⠀⠀"I never thought the MACUSA would keep these many dead bodies around," Laurel chuckled.
⠀⠀"It's only because my case has taken two years," James said, sighing a little as he led them to the desk in the corner, sitting down on the chair and opening the file. "I feel horrible. These people haven't been laid to rest."
⠀⠀Laurel's face scrunched up in confusion, then released, laying a hand on his shoulder. "Hey, it's not your fault. These things take time and you've been the only one who has been taking care of this case. You can't blame yourself."
⠀⠀James looked at her and sighed. "I guess." He shrugged, pausing before speaking again. "I think you're the key to everything."
⠀⠀"What do you mean?"
⠀⠀"You looked at the pictures I sent right?"
⠀⠀"Yeah, but it was hard to tell what was foaming out of their mouths obviously because they were pictures."
⠀⠀James nodded. "We have that poison in vials here. And the most recent victims are here too."
⠀⠀Laurel turned to the bodies, looking at the dates attached for the most recent victim. "Do you have photos of the crime scene?"
⠀⠀"Yeah," James said, digging up the photo. He handed it to her. The woman was foaming at the mouth, which was purple, just like all the others. "I know they've all been poisoned by the same thing, but nobody here knows what plant it is."
⠀⠀Laurel nodded. "Where are the vials?"
⠀⠀James flicked his wand at the locked chest on the floor next to the desk, which slowly unlocked with several clicks, flinging open. With another wave, a tray floated out of it with vials fit into rows in the tray, hanging in midair in front of Laurel. The vials were filled with purple liquid, labeled with the victim's name on the glass.
⠀⠀"How did you manage to preserve foam?" Laurel asked, completely fascinated as she picked up each vial. They seemed to be slightly different shades but all relatively close to the same lavender hue.
⠀⠀"Magic," James said, shrugging. He was staring at her as she concentrated. He couldn't help the little stirring in his heart as she squinted her eyes and stuck her tongue out a little as she focused. She didn't seem to hear his answer, which was fine with him.
⠀⠀"Can I open them?" Laurel asked, holding one vial between her fingers. "Will it ruin the magic keeping it together?"
⠀⠀James laughed. "Nah, you can open them."
⠀⠀Laurel uncorked the vial in her hand, taking a sniffing it lightly. She paused, thinking for a moment. She almost gagged again, the smell of old saliva, yet something fresh, and something rank hitting her nose. Quickly closing the vial, she tried another one. It smelled just as bad and just the same.
⠀⠀"Well we already know they're all the same thing," Laurel said, placing the tray back into the chest with a wave of her wand. She had lost her appetite at this point. "Are there any connections between the victims?"
⠀⠀"They all seem to be MACUSA workers. I knew some of them," James said in half detachment and half pity. "That's why they assigned the case to me, because they're sure that Sumaca has to do with this."
⠀⠀"What do you mean?"
⠀⠀"If they tried to infiltrate the MACUSA before, they're probably doing that right now. We just don't know who."
⠀⠀"So we're looking for someone inside of MACUSA?"
⠀⠀"Yeah. But this bastard is pretty damn good at hiding their tracks." James sighed.

⠀⠀Laurel approached the victims, focusing on the most recent one, realizing that it was merely a child. She covered her mouth with her hand, the shock and anger pricking tears in her eyes.
⠀⠀"They attack children?"

⠀⠀James nodded solemnly, standing next to Laurel. "She's the first. They killed her entire family." He pointed at the bodies next to the little girl's.
⠀⠀Inhaling and exhaling, she fought back tears as she turned the child's body around with her wand, examining for any physical wounds. There were some cuts and bruises all over her pale corpse, but they were nothing compared to the bodies of the adults next to her.
⠀⠀She held up her wand, waving it across the body. "Internus Revelio." A ball of white light emerged from Laurel's wand, floating and wrapping itself around the child's throat and stomach, looking for the poison ingested. It stayed there for a few minutes, James and Laurel watching in concentration. The white lights turned into liquid, rising off the body into one massive water droplet.

⠀⠀"Give me a vial," Laurel ordered James, her eyes locked on the liquid, holding liquid with her wand in the air so it didn't fall. He quickly held one out and uncorked it, watching as Laurel strategically guided the liquid into the vial.
⠀⠀As soon as James closed the vial, the white liquid inside turned lavender. He returned to his desk to label it as Laurel did the same examination process with a few more bodies, where the liquids turned lavender as well.

⠀⠀Picking up the vials, she uncorked them and smelled them one by one. This time she realized they were not nearly as rank as the foam from before and it was much clearer what poison it was. All the liquids smelled heavily of bitter, unripened tomatoes.

⠀⠀"I can't be sure, but I think it's belladonna," Laurel realized aloud. "But the belladonna poison doesn't cause foaming at the mouth. It usually causes hallucinations before killing the victim."

⠀⠀James wrote this down, nodding to her to continue.
⠀⠀"Nobody here knew what it was because it isn't usually grown in America," Laurel continued. "I think we'll have to find an illegally-run apothecary in order to find exotic plants. Maybe they'll have a record of who they sold things to."
⠀⠀"That's a good idea," James said. "What do you think caused the foaming?"
⠀⠀Laurel thought for a second, thinking of her intense Herbology conversations with Asher. She smiled. "You know, Asher would love this."
⠀⠀"It's too bad he hates the Ministry as much as he does," James chuckled.
⠀⠀"Eh, he's mellowed out since you last saw him," Laurel said, examining the photos. "Mostly because Dominique and Callen are actually doing their jobs and pushing for changes."
⠀⠀"I've heard," James replied, his insides filling with pride.

⠀⠀They were both silent for a while as Laurel tried to remember what could possibly cause foaming. "Moonseed!" she exclaimed with realization. "It's purple as well and smells horrid. It must've been so little but enough to cause foaming if they didn't recognize it. It's grown here in America."
⠀⠀"Americans are just dumb then, I suppose?" James chuckled.
⠀⠀Laurel laughed. "We're not much better to be quite honest."
⠀⠀"Debatable," James countered. He checked his watch. "Oh, wow. It's seven already. You're probably exhausted from your travels and all this."
⠀⠀"Actually, yeah," Laurel said, laughing a little, a wave of weariness washing over her.
⠀⠀"We'll call it a day then? Start from here tomorrow?" James asked. "We could go grab dinner."
⠀⠀"Oh," Laurel chuckled. "I don't think I have the appetite."
⠀⠀"I don't blame you," James shrugged. With a wave of his wand, his papers fell into place in the folder, while the rest of the room tidied itself up.
⠀⠀Laurel didn't answer, glancing at the little girl's body. Not knowing her name made things easier, but that didn't describe the wrenching Laurel felt in her heart. Pulling her eyes away, she followed James out of the morgue, waiting for him to lock it up.

⠀⠀The department was mostly empty when they re-entered it, the only people being Howard and two other Aurors who were just leaving, waving goodbye to James and Laurel. Howard was sitting on Avani's desk, watching the two walk in with the eyes of a hawk. Laurel didn't like it. Why was he sitting on Avani's desk?

⠀⠀"There you two are! You disappeared for hours," Howard said, jumping up. "I thought you two got lost or something."
⠀⠀"You didn't have to wait up," James said, handing Laurel her jacket as he threw his own on. He swung his bag around his shoulder.
⠀⠀"It's fine," Howard brushed it off. "Are you two heading out?"
⠀⠀"Yes, sir," Laurel replied nonchalantly. "It's seven."
⠀⠀"You must be exhausted," Howard added, trying to keep the conversation going.
⠀⠀"Yes, I am," Laurel said, keeping her distance from Howard, following James who waved at his supervisor. "Good night, sir."

⠀⠀James and Laurel quickly shuffled out of the department towards the elevators, both unaware that they were praying for the same thing: that the elevator would come faster than Howard could get ready to leave and follow them. Both sighed of relief as the elevator dinged, walking inside as quickly as possible.
⠀⠀They were both quiet as the elevator continued its passage downward, eyes fixed on the glowing numbers at the top of the door decreasing as they approached the ground floor.

⠀⠀"Do you want to go for a walk?" James asked, side glancing Laurel like a shy boy. "I mean—do you want me to walk you to your hotel? It's near, right?"
⠀⠀Just as Laurel was about to answer, the elevator reached the ground floor. "That would be nice," she said, stepping out, her hands in her coat pockets. "We could get some drinks at the Gold Moon too—if you want?"
⠀⠀"You're not tired?" They exited the building, walking into the dark streets lit with golden streetlamps, still fairly populated with people.
⠀⠀"I am," Laurel said. She shrugged and looked at him. "But I think it'd be nice to finish catching up."
⠀⠀James looked at her quizzically. "You're...not mad anymore?"
⠀⠀"No." She blinked. How could I ever stay mad at you?
⠀⠀James chuckled. "Well, that's a relief."
⠀⠀"My opinion matters that much to you?" Laurel laughed.
⠀⠀"It always has," James said before he could stop himself.
⠀⠀Laurel focused her eyes on him, trying to find the words to respond, looking away as she couldn't. James could make out a smile on her face though. And that was enough of a response for him.

⠀⠀"Do you know where the Gold Moon is?" he asked as they kept walking.
⠀⠀"Yeah. I think so," Laurel replied, looking around and at the signs. They were blocks away from Woolworth, but she had made sure to check where her hotel was before she met up with James. She could've just Apparated, but she wanted to talk to him. "I'm pretty sure it's around this bend and through the park." Laurel pointed at it. James squinted, readjusting his glasses. He felt like he had never seen this park before.

⠀⠀They continued on their way, walking into the park. For late winter, it was surprisingly in full bloom, the wisteria trees displaying its hanging purple flowers, swinging in the wind. There were oaks and elms scattered throughout the park, just beginning to bloom. The grass grew uncontrollably under their boots, covering any sort of path, littered with flower petals.

⠀⠀"How...?" James asked, staring at it all. But Laurel didn't have to answer. They both could feel the magic radiating throughout the small park, pausing in their walk to look around in awe.
⠀⠀"I wonder who owns this park," Laurel said her thoughts aloud.
⠀⠀James didn't answer, his eyes falling on her. She looked so childish as she stared around, her blue eyes shining, pure joy tangled in her bright smile. The golden light of the streetlamps hugged her face, shining on the golden locks of her hair. She was radiant. He wanted to kiss her so badly. Angel.
⠀⠀"Yes?" Laurel asked, breaking him from his thoughts. She was smiling at him.
⠀⠀James shook his head, turning away from her. He doubted she wanted him back.
⠀⠀Laurel shrugged it off and continued walking, the both of them side by side. "This is nice," she said.
⠀⠀James made a sound of agreement. He wished he could tell her that this wasn't nice, that watching her and being near her almost tore him apart. Perhaps love had always been too broad of a word to truly define what he felt for her.

⠀⠀"How are things at home?" he asked, trying to ignore his thoughts.
⠀⠀"Alright," Laurel replied, smiling as she thought of her family. "Lysander and Roxanne adopted a baby girl. They're naming her after my grandmother and Lorcan."
⠀⠀James smiled. "That's sweet. What about you though?"
⠀⠀"Me?" Laurel asked, chuckling, looking at him. "I mean, if it means anything to you, I broke up with my boyfriend right before coming here."
⠀⠀"Boyfriend?" he hid his slight disbelief. He didn't know why he was surprised. This was Laurel they were talking about. "Who?"
⠀⠀"Phillip Burke. He's from America actually. But he works for Evan's company."
⠀⠀"Why'd you break up?"
⠀⠀Laurel shrugged. "I mean—wha-?"
⠀⠀She felt something wrap around her ankle, stumbling. Grabbing onto James for support, she looked down, finding a thick vine coming from the grass wrapped around her ankle. It was too dark to see exactly what it was or where it was coming from, the streetlamps shining everywhere except that spot. James held onto her tightly as she pulled out her wand, throwing some spells at it. But it kept moving around her legs and began to wrap around his too.
⠀⠀Suddenly, the vines yanked them back, dragging Laurel and James to the ground, pulling them towards one of the wisteria trees. Both shrieking, they clung to each other, bracing for impact.

⠀⠀But they didn't hit the tree. Like the wall on the platform at King's Cross, they went straight through the tree, the vine dragging them into someplace so dark they couldn't make anything out. Laurel fell on top of James, landing on something that felt like roots, a loud pop, and rip echoing throughout the space. James groaned, his arms still wrapped around Laurel.

⠀⠀"Oh Merlin—I'm sorry...shit...are you okay?" Laurel asked, looking around. But she couldn't see his face. She could only feel his body under hers, which was so familiar she almost didn't feel it. Her legs were wrapped around what felt like his hips, the vines keeping her from moving. Her head knocked into what was presumably his, both groaning in pain.
⠀⠀"Bloody hell," James groaned. "Pretty sure I twisted my ankle. Fuuuuuck..."
⠀⠀"Don't worry. When we get out of this, I'll fix it," Laurel said, trying not to panic, ignoring the searing pain from her forehead.
⠀⠀"We don't even know where we are," James said, his words minced as he tried to breathe through the pain. "Can you reach your wand?"

⠀⠀The vines began to wrap around their bodies, Laurel feeling an odd sense of déjà vu. She could feel his short breath on her neck. As her eyes adjusted to the darkness, she could make out his face, their noses brushing slightly. His grip around her tightened with the wrapping vines, pressing them closer and closer together. She had forgotten how familiar she was with this predicament between them. Except this time around, they were wearing clothes.

⠀⠀"No, I can't," she answered. "The vines are too fast." She attempted a wandless spell, but her mind was too scrambled to focus.
⠀⠀"Are we in—?"
⠀⠀"Devil's snare? Yeah, I think so," Laurel said quickly, panting. "Just...we just have to calm down."

⠀⠀So they stopped talking, attempting to slow their breathing, Laurel resting her head next to James'. Their cheeks brushed against each other, his stubble tickling her soft skin. Her fingers gently rested on his skin, she didn't know where, but she quickly figured it out when she felt his heartbeat at her fingertips. Her touch sent familiar tingles down his spine, his breath hitching. Laurel pretended not to notice.

⠀⠀Calmly, she mouthed, Lumos, focusing her energy on the incantation. Light sprouted from her pocket where her wand was, illuminating the place. Immediately, James' face came into view, only centimeters away from hers. His eyes caught hers and for a moment, he forgot about the pain from his ankle and where they were. He wished he could kiss her. He wanted them to stay like this forever.

⠀⠀"Hi," he whispered, a small smile appearing on his face.
⠀⠀Laurel smiled back, a little shy. She didn't realize how close they were. But she didn't mind it.
⠀⠀"Hey."
⠀⠀"Coincidence?"
⠀⠀She chuckled lightly at the memory. Perhaps that night was when she started paying attention to him. "Yeah." Maybe fate.
⠀⠀Before he could respond, they began to sink, the devil's snare dropping them onto something hard. They both groaned again, Laurel apologizing to James. She quickly got off him, pulling out her wand from her pocket. Immediately, he missed her presence.

⠀⠀She looked around, their noses immediately filled with the stench. They were in a tunnel, but the sound of dripping water told her that they were probably in the sewage system. One side of the tunnel seemed to go on, while the other side was a dead end. How odd was it that devil's snare led to the sewers?

⠀⠀Laurel turned back to James, who was struggling to stand, leaning on the wall.
⠀⠀"James, stop," she ordered, grabbing his arm. "Sit down. I can fix it."
⠀⠀So he listened, slumping against the wall, his injured foot outstretched, wincing.
⠀⠀"This is going to hurt," Laurel warned, kneeling down next to his ankle, her wand pointed at it. James nodded for her to go ahead, inhaling.
⠀⠀"Here we go," Laurel said, waving her wand. "Episkey!"
⠀⠀A sharp popping noise emerged from his ankle, along with a loud yelp of pain from his throat. James winced, massaging the injured area, the pain ebbing away.
⠀⠀"Better?" Laurel asked, standing up, holding a hand out for him to take.
⠀⠀James grabbed her hand and helped himself up, attempting to walk. "Yeah. A true Healer, aren't you?" He hadn't let go of her hand.
⠀⠀Laurel chuckled. "Let's look for an exit. I'll try Disapparating."
⠀⠀She paused, trying to Disapparate. But every time she tried, she felt like a wall was blocking her from leaving. She didn't realize she was squeezing James' hand really hard as she attempted Apparition. "I can't."
⠀⠀"Please let go or you'll have to heal my hand too," James chuckled, trying to pull himself from her grasp. She apologized again, laughing a little.
⠀⠀"I can't Disapparate either," James said, rubbing his hand. "That's curious. I didn't think magic folk would take over the sewers."
⠀⠀"I suppose we'll have to look for an exit now," Laurel said, taking a step forward in the tunnel, James following.

⠀⠀They walked in silence for a while, their footsteps echoing on the concrete floor, the tunnel seeming like an endless straight line. The dripping never stopped and they couldn't seem to find the source.

⠀⠀"So boyfriend, huh?" James asked. He honestly couldn't stop thinking about it. "Phillip Broke?"
⠀⠀"You have very poor timing," Laurel replied, looking at him. "We're trying to get out of some magical sewer and you're asking about my boyfriend. And it's Burke."
⠀⠀"Ex-boyfriend."
⠀⠀Laurel let out a sigh. She hoped that she wouldn't have to talk about it with him, but here they were.
⠀⠀"I mean we were dating for a year," Laurel said. "He wanted me to meet his parents, but I felt like it was too fast. We were friends with benefits before that year, but I guess I got lonely. Anyway, I got your letter and took it as a sign to end things with him." What if I told you I had wished it were you every time I slept with him?
⠀⠀Laurel was downplaying things. The reality of it was that Phillip completely flipped out, becoming violent in ways Laurel had only seen a few times, but never directed at her until then. She told him a partial truth, leaving out the part about James. Phillip reacted by throwing things around her apartment before he stormed out. Laurel had never felt more relieved in her life once he disappeared.

⠀⠀"My letter? What if it had been someone else's?" James asked, slowly.

⠀⠀Laurel stopped walking looking at him. Her face was oddly serious and focused, her eyebrows drawn together. James stared back.

⠀⠀"Do you think I would've come all the way to New York just for anybody?" she asked.
⠀⠀He stared at her. "I mean...you broke up with me, Laurel." His voice was tight.
⠀⠀"Then why did you bring me here?"
⠀⠀"What do you mean?"
⠀⠀"Why did you ask me to come if you care so much?"
⠀⠀James was a bit at a loss for words. "I needed to see you."
⠀⠀"But I dumped you," Laurel's voice shook.
⠀⠀"Maybe I don't care."

⠀⠀Laurel's mouth opened to retort, but she closed it, staring at him. He stared back, his eyes ablaze, hoping she'd catch the hint. Of course, she did. But she pretended she didn't.

⠀⠀"You should care," Laurel sighed, shaking her head. She turned away from him, continuing her walk down the tunnel, leaving him to follow her at a distance.

⠀⠀James, ever the wordsmith, could not find the words to speak to her. Of course, he cared. But he only cared about her. He only cared about getting her back, even if she didn't want him right now. He wanted her. Maybe he needed her.

⠀⠀The last two years were an utter hell if he was being honest. He couldn't talk to the people who meant the world to him, especially her. She was his everything and without her, well, he was nothing. Nobody saw how miserable he had been in New York. He wished his whole life to be invisible, to blend in with 'normal' people, and when he got just that as soon as he stepped foot in New York, he felt utterly empty.

⠀⠀He wished he could tell her that. But it felt like whenever he tried, his throat would lock up the words that were fighting so hard to get out.

⠀⠀They finally got to a turn, leading to a source of a dim flickering yellow light at the end.

⠀⠀"Looks like an exit," she said, with a sigh of relief.
⠀⠀James didn't reply, walking ahead of her. As they approached the source of light, they saw a door ajar, letting the light spill into the tunnel. It seemed to lead into another room. Laurel looked around the tunnel, finding no other way to go than this way.

⠀⠀James pushed open the door, revealing a large windowless room. It seemed out of place for the sewers, with its hardwood flooring and dilapidated vintage velvet couches scattered in odd places across the room. There was a puddle in a corner of the room, water dripping from a broken pipe. The dark green paint on the walls was peeling. The source of light was coming from the corner of the room, where an old oil lantern was lit, the light slowly dying. There was an empty fireplace on the end opposite of them and no other door to leave.

⠀⠀"Hello?" Laurel called out as they continued walking inside. Nobody answered. James approached the fireplace. Laurel ventured towards the rest of the room.
⠀⠀Looking at the mantle, James picked up a pot of green powder. "It must be part of the Floo system," he said, examining the fireplace. "This is our way out. Someone must've been here recently too." He didn't hear Laurel gasp. "We'll investigate in the morning." He looked up at where she was. "Laurel, what's wrong?"

⠀⠀She was frozen, her eyes fixed on one of the velvet couches. James went towards her, following her gaze with his eyes. His heart seemed to stop when he saw.

⠀⠀On the couch was Avani Fang, struggling to breathe, her brown eyes wandering the room, glazed over. Purple foam was bubbling from her lips.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.2M 89.9K 35
"You've fallen in love with a girl you've never met?" "Yes, but we play chess!" 𝐟𝐞𝐦!𝐨𝐜 𝐱 𝐉𝐚𝐦𝐞𝐬 𝐏𝐨𝐭𝐭𝐞𝐫...
522K 15.1K 49
*ੈ✩‧₊˚ 𝐒𝐇𝐄'𝐒 𝐀 𝐒𝐍𝐈𝐓𝐂𝐇┊❝ HE FINALLY CAUGHT THE SNITCH. ❞ ─── JAMES SIRIUS POTTER was not like his father. In fact, many would say that he...
1.2M 42.8K 73
-·~¹'°¨°'¹i|¡¡|i¹'°¨°'¹~·--·~¹'°¨°'¹i|¡¡|i¹'°¨°'¹~·--·~¹'°¨°'¹i|¡¡|i¹' James Sirius Potter had it all, was loved by all... ...all except Ayla Hill Al...
79.2K 1.4K 44
During Hogwarts you dated the one and only James Potter but you both broke up, it didn't end well at all, it ended so badly you both pretended each o...