Wicked Game [Nick Stokes] (CS...

By LauraWinchester26

We never know what fate has in store for us and following your dreams is not always as beautiful as it seems... More

1. Next Stop, Vegas Please
2. If I Killed Someone For You
4. Echo
5. Forever Young
6. I Warned Myself
7. Compass
8. Start A War

3. Love Can Kill

621 13 1
By LauraWinchester26

"It's hard for me to say what needs to be said; consequence of loving me can be cruel. You're gonna suffer now whatever you do. Too much love can kill, get swallowed by the wave, no matter how you feel"

There was nothing better than celebrating a good week of work than a glass of wine, sushi and a horror movie. Strange combination but it was my favorite. It was my night off at work and I had wanted to make that plan for a long time but I could not for obvious reasons. When I wasn't working, I was taking care of the apartment or training in the gym.

I had been living in Vegas for a month and hardly knew the city and the places I knew were because of work. I didn't have much of a social life but that hadn't stopped me from going places alone. Sometimes I almost preferred it, even though there were other times when I preferred company.

I sat on the couch, covered myself with a blanket and hit the play. As soon as I did it, like Murphy's Law, the phone rang. My intention was to ignore the call, ¿but who was going to call me at this time? Let me answer that; my supervisor.

-¿Grissom? –I answered the call.

-¡Laura! ¿Are you at home?

-Yeah, I am.. ¿Why?

-Look I know that it's your night off and your contract says that you can't work more than 40 hours a week but we really need some help here, I was wondering if you could..

-I'll be there –I cut him off before he could finish the question- Just text me the address.

I jumped off the couch, left the sushi in the fridge and got dressed to head to the crime scene. It was the sixth night in a row I'd be working but I needed the real CSI experience; working a lot of hours and pulling double shifts.

***

I parked the car next to the police tape and when I crossed it, I saw Grissom waiting for me at the entrance of the mansion. As I walked towards him, I observed the atmosphere of a high class party. Expensive dresses and expensive suits and among them, Jim Brass stood out, questioning some attendees. We nod and then I got to Grissom.

-¡Hey! ¡Thanks for coming! –he greeted- This house belongs to Portia Richmond, a legendary showgirl back in the day.

-¿Is she the victim? –I asked.

-No, it's an unidentified woman. She was found in the pool –he explained- This is a big house so divide and conquer. Nick is doing the sketch of the house, you'll be in the pool with Catherine and Warrick.

It wasn't hard for me to find the pool as it was as big as the garden. Catherine was looking for evidence in the grass and Warrick was swimming in the pool. I couldn't help but laugh at him. It was my way of saying Hello.

-¡Marco! –I screamed.

-Polo –Warrick answered sticking his head out from under water.

-I thought you weren't working tonight –Catherine she said as she approached.

-I wasn't, actually I had plans but Grissom said you have a lot of work so I don't mind –I answered as I put on some gloves, then I saw Warrick getting out of the pool with something in his hand- ¿Can I get you a towel, sir?

-Yeah, please –he smiled- I found a cufflink, initials CM.

-Turquoise and silver.. –Catherine said looking at it- Something out of the south west maybe; Arizona, New Mexico, Texas..

-I'll check the guest list for CMs –I assured.

-I'm gonna be wet all night.. –Catherine and I laughed and because of that he splashed us with water.

After examining the garden and pool, Catherine as Grissom's right hand, assigned Warrick to another case that had happened that night. He wasn't happy about the change but since Sara was at a forensics convention, one of them had to be on the new case.

-Jim, ¿what do we know about Portia Richmond? –Gil asked.

-According to her friends, she's been romancing for over a month and she's cruising the Mediterranean in some yacht –Brass explained as we walked into the main hall- Got a couple watching the house.

The couple Brass was talking about was sitting on the central sofa in the living room. They were both elegantly dressed and you could say they were good looking.

-Mr, Mrs. Haynes, this is Gil Grissom, Catherine Willows and Laura Serrano, from the Crime Lab –Brass introduced us- ¿Do you mind if we ask a few more questions?

-By all means –Mr. Haynes spoke.

-¿How is it that you know Portia Richmond?

-We met her at the top of the Mediterranean –she answered- It was like we've known Portia all our lives.

-We were new in town, Portia introduced us around and took us under her wing –he continued- We are house sitting while hunting for our place. Portia refused to take any money from us.

-That's why when she took out to Europe we offered to host this charity event.

-¿Did you know the deceased woman? –Grissom asked.

-No, as far as I know, she wasn't even on the guest list –he answered for both-¿Something wrong?

-Yes.. –Grissom nodded- A woman is dead.

***

When I entered the morgue, Doctor Robbins was in a corner with his back turned to me and a strange noise was coming out of that area. I looked at him puzzled not knowing what was happening until he turned with two cups of coffee. He offered me one.

-Don't tell anybody –he said- My weakness; One Macchiato Tall.

-¡Thanks! ¡I really need coffee!

-I know –I looked at him surprised- Everyone is talking about your first time working so many days in a row.

-Glad to be news –I mumbled- Coffee machine courtesy of the city, I presume.

-When the coroner asks for something they don't question it –I nodded and followed him to the autopsy table- We are still working on the ID, but she's had a few upgrades; rhinoplasty, silicone breasts..

-The implants have a number, if we run it I think we can get an ID –he smiled, like he was testing me- Wait a second, you already knew that.

-I wanted to know if you did, very well –he continued- We have a full menu here; petechial hemorrhaging, bruising around the neck and no water in the lungs. Now, ¿what's the cause of death?

-No water in the lungs indicates that she was dead when she hit the water and from the bruising around the neck I'd say she was strangled –Doc nodded agreeing- So, in this case we have to photograph her injuries and run a sex assault kit.. strangulation is a man's crime.

-Already did that, but very good –I was going to leave, but before I did, he took the mug out of my hands and looked at me- This is our little secret.

***

When the rest of the team returned to the lab, Grissom told me to team up with Nick. He and Catherine were going to keep track of some music boxes they had found in Portia's house. The task that my partner and I had to do was analyze the DNA from the sex assault kit and the DNA from a red nail that we had found in the garden a few hours ago. To do the task, we had to bring the evidence to Greg, because he was the DNA expert. Along the way, I yawned twice and Nick laughed at me both times.

-¡Hey! ¡You don't get to laugh! –I said to him- I'm tired.

-¿You? ¿Tired? ¡I thought you never sleep! –I yawned again and he smiled- ¡Nice!

We were walking into the lab when Greg hit the radio on the play and a heavy metal song started playing. He was spinning on his chair in a happy mood. I leaned on the table and watched him as the two of them greeted each other.

-You're awake –I said- I hate you.

-Couple of glasses of Merlot.. slept like a baby –he answered with a smile.

-Just so you know, you weren't the only one who had a glass of wine –I remembered.

-That sounds like Grissom ruined your date –Nick mumbled.

-I would need a man for a date, which I don't have –I faked smile- Check for DNA in the sexual assault kit and the fingernail please.

-Everything has to be in CODIS, as soon as possible –Nick added.

-¿Do you know who is going to authorize my overtime? –Greg said while taking the evidence.

-Suck it up, Greg. You're well rested.

-¿Do you want a Valium for her? –Greg asked looking at Nick.

-¡I've heard that! –I said as I was walking away.

I got to the break room and sat on the first chair I found. I wasn't regretting agreeing to work, but I couldn't understand how the team kept up, I assumed that it was thanks to caffeine and habit. I noticed a hand placing gently on my shoulder, so I looked up and saw my partner looking at me in a worried way.

-Hang in there, this only happens the first day –he tried to cheer me up- I'm going to make coffee for both of us, ¿okay?

-I've had so much coffee that I think there's some blood running through my caffeine system, but I really could use one –I joked- Thanks, Nick.

As I watched Nick making coffee with the machine, I realized how kind and attentive he was. Luckily, my colleagues were friendly and good people and I was sure that anyone could have taken the time and concern about my first week of work in a row but he stood out in some way. Maybe it was his Texas charm or the fact that I was starting to like him. Either way, there was no denying that he was one of a kind.

While the coffee was brewing, I took the opportunity to look at the messages that I couldn't see before. My best friend from Spain, Sanja, sent me a voice note, which surprised me quite a bit since she rarely sends voice messages.

¡Hola Laura! ¡Espero que estés disfrutando y aprendiendo mucho en Las Vegas! Aquí te echamos mucho de menos y se nota tu ausencia.. Cuando nos volvamos a ver, tendrás que prepararte tus chistes malos. Te envío este mensaje para decirte que ya tenemos fecha para la boda y será el 22 de Mayo. Sabemos que ya estarás por aquí para esta fecha, además me haría mucha ilusión que fueses mi dama de honor, así que espero tener una respuesta pronto. ¡Besos!

I replied to her message with a silly smile on my face. Having news from her made me happy and had even woke me up a bit. Nick offered me the cup of coffee and I thanked him with a smile.

-¿Who's getting married? –he asked as he sat down in front of me.

-¿You know Spanish? –if my friend's message hadn't woke me up, Nick's question had.

-Oh yeah –he nodded proudly- I'm fluent, actually.

-You're kidding.

-No te engaño –he said with an American accent, but he said it right- What can I say, I have many hidden talents.

-I hope to discover them someday –I smiled and left my phone on the table- A couple of days before coming to Vegas, it was my birthday and we had this celebration / farewell party. My male best friend took the opportunity to propose to my female best friend.

-You must be excited for the wedding then, since they are so close to you.

-They are –I nodded with a nostalgic smile- They are my family.

-¿How are you adapting? ¿You've been here a month, haven't you? ¿You like the city so far? I guess you've walked down The Strip, ridden the rollercoaster, you've seen the Bellagio fountains..

-Actually, I've only been to the Welcome Sign –I admitted with my head down.

-¡No way! We are going to fix that, señorita –he said with a sexy accent and looked at me- I'll make you a list of things to do in Vegas and if you don't want to do them alone, you can tell anyone on the team.

-Nick, it's really not necessary..

-No, yes it is –he nodded convinced- But I have to warn you, I have guiding fees and I will charge you.

We both started laughing at Nick's comment and for the first time in hours, I felt like I was totally present at the time. Greg opened the door behind me and entered the room all excited.

-You guys are never gonna believe this; sexual assault kit on the victim came back positive for semen BUT nothing.. ran it through CODIS and seminal DNA matches a cold case from Texas, ¡a dead cheerleader! ¡ten years ago!

***

The track of the music boxes leaded Catherine and Grissom to Portia's mansion once again. From what they told us, they had caught the housekeeper couple having sex, but the most important finding was what they found in the fireplace; a tooth. The idea was to compare it to Portia Richmond, since the disappearance was strange, but there were no references, so Catherine and Brass went to the Liberace Museum, where they had on display the headdress that Portia wore when she was a showgirl and brought it to Greg.

My partner went to reception to receive the package containing the file case from Texas, while I stayed looking for Patrick and Amanda's social security numbers. We needed a little background on the couple. I had been searching for 30 minutes when I heard music coming out of the DNA Lab, so I got up from my chair and walked over. Greg came out of the lab kicking in the air and moving his hips, like he was dancing, while wearing Portia's headdress on his head.

I leaned against the wall and covered my mouth so he wouldn't see me laugh, even though I couldn't help it. I wondered if Greg did that kind of silly things because he was like that or to make other people laugh. Either way, he finished the song looking at me with his arms outstretched and his mouth open with a smile. I approached him and applauded.

-I think you should take that thing off Greg, it's evidence –I said with a smile- But I'm going to admit that the dance was very sensual.

-I already got all the evidence out of it.

Suddenly, Grissom turned the corner and appeared behind Greg. He stood up and looked at him as if he did not believe what he was seeing. Grissom took off his glasses and I could swear he was analyzing him. I cleared my throat to let Greg know and then I laughed again.

-I compared the DNA from the tooth with the hair follicles found inside the headdress, we have a match and I think we have a homicide. Excuse me –he nodded and walked again into the lab like nothing happened.

After the show was over, I went back to the computer and kept looking. A few minutes later, Nick showed up with the case file. I finally found the social security number, but apparently Patrick Haynes was an 8-month-old baby who died 10 years ago. And Nick found that the suspect in the dead cheerleader's case was called Chad Matthews. The initials C.M.

***

After that discovery, the next thing we had to do was find out who this Chad Matthews was and where Portia Richmond really was. If she really was in the Mediterranean her bank statements would confirm it. Brass pulled out the bank statements for us to check them and also all the information about this guy. Apparently, Austin Police Department had 5 aliases for Chad Matthews and Denver Police Department sent him copies of his journal; guy kept lists of rick woman all over the country. Guess who was on that list.

-According to her credit card statements, Portia Richmond hasn't spent a dime since she's been in the Mediterranean –Catherine said- Maybe she's been swept off her feet.

-Yeah –Nick smiled- Some guys still like to foot the bill.

-¿Really? ¿How would you know? –I asked him in a surprised way.

-Hey, I only dodge girls if they ask the wrong questions –he looked at me- For example, ¿what do you drive?

-It's an honest question –Catherine confessed.

-No, no it's not –he laughed and looked at both of us- What it means is how much money do you make so you can take care of me.

-Well, not this girl –I added in response.

Brass paged us to have breakfast all together and talk about the case; we needed to get something clear out of everything. Without noticing, the night passed and it was 7 am and eating food was a good idea to help me stay awake. We walked to the bar, which was two blocks away and sat at a table for four. The waitress treated us kindly and it didn't take long to bring us the food.

-¿Did anyone tell Grissom we were having breakfast?

-Yeah –Brass nodded- Dispatch left him a message but maybe he thought it was the sheriff and blew it off.

-Let's talk about motive –Catherine started- We've got a missing widow, her bloody tooth found in her own bedroom which is currently occupied by two moes.

-And one of our moes has six names that we know of incluiding Chad Matthews –Nick added.

-Right, and we've got a cuff link with the initials C.M. found in the bottom of the pool along with a floating showgirl –Brass spoke.

-A showgirl who was sleeping with six men rolled into one, Patrick Haynes.

-So, the Hayneses controlled Portia Richmond's bank account but they had to stick around for the checks to clear, ¿so why kill Lacey Duvall?

-I don't know, but if Lacey Duvall hadn't been murdered Patrick Haynes reinvents himself and becomes another Skippy in another state, $1.6 mil richer.

***

Apparently, while we were having breakfast, Grissom visited the mansion again and realized something, which led him to crack de case. As soon as he had the confirmation he expected of some DNA results but he didn't tell us anything else, he just called us back to the Lab. Someone had to be arrested.

-On behalf of the State of Nevada, my apologies, you've been cleared of all charges –Brass said and when Patrick Haynes smiled victoriously..- But on behalf of the State of Texas, you're under arrest. You're being extradited for the murder of Lana Grimshaw.

-I slept with her but I didn't kill her.

-Just like with Lacey Duvall –Catherine nodded.

An officer opened the door and let Mr. Haynes's wife in. Grissom smirked.

-Now I see it, the family resemblance–he said looking at both- Donnie and Marie. Brother and sister and I got the DNA to prove it. Let me tell you what else I can prove, your sister killed Lacey Duvall.

Patrick got into his feet and walked towards Amanda.

-¿You're surprised? Look at your face.. you never made a mistake until you met her.

-¿You killed Lacey because I told her about us?

-I had no choice –Amanda swallowed and nodded proudly- We were partners, you can't grift me Chad.

-Uh.. ¿Who wants to tell us about Portia Richmond? –Catherine asked.

-She's in Europe –Patrick turned around and sticked to his story- On a yacht, in Greece.

-Oh, right. She's incommunicado –Brass added.

-Old testament, The Book of Jonah; "And now, the Lord arranged for a great fish to swallow up Jonah" –Grissom stepped forward and put a cloth-covered container in the center of the table, he pulled off the cloth to show a container with a couple of fish from the pond outside the Richmond Mansion- ¿You know what's wrong with the piranha, thought? They've got high cholesterol.

-Cholesterol is found in humans, not fish –Catherine explained- ¿So how does a fish acquire human cholesterol?

Patrick sat down and looked at the fish. Amanda stood there, looking at him.

-You're both under arrest for the murder of Portia Richmond.

***

Officially, my work week was over and I just had one day off, but I didn't care. I had learned a lot working this case, I made connections with my colleagues and experienced what it was to be a CSI. I went to collect my things to the locker room and I found Warrick collecting his too. He appeared to be tired and with many things on his mind.

-¡Hey! ¿How was the case? ¿What was it about? –I asked.

-Dead guy on an elevator –he replied reluctantly- Unsolved.

-¿Why do I feel like there's something else..?

-Victim was a gambler.

-¿..And you don't like gambling? –he closed the locker door and looked at me with puppy eyes and I understood it- Oh.. on the contrary.. you like it too much.

-¿You know Holly Gribbs died because I left the crime scene, right? –he sighed and sat on the bench- I left to go make a pit stop. I was gambling and she was dying.

-¿Do you want to talk about it? –I sat beside him.

-No –he smiled slightly and looked at me sideways- Besides, you are tired and you should really go to sleep.

-Warrick, if you have a problem, ignoring it isn't going to make it go away –I place my hand on his shoulder to show him support- Besides, I always have time for my friends, no matter how sleepy I am.

***

¡Hey! ¡I'm back! Hope you enjoy this chapter. We are starting to see some connections between them. ¡I'd love to know what you think about the fanfic so far! ¡See you soon! 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

166K 3.2K 59
The graveyard shift is never an easy one, not even for the most experienced of CSI's. Meet Miki Romani, Vegas born and bred and the new girl on the b...
27.5K 1.3K 59
Stasia I was tossed out and shunned by my family for something that wasn't my fault. Instead of letting my heartache break me I built a life for mys...
584 90 47
She has a family and a normal life, just moving around weirdly much...she thought. Moving to Phoenix with her mother, father and sister made her get...
422 104 39
At times,we feel love is the most beautiful feeling,yet we fail to see the lingering danger!!! You can't escape your fate, whatever you try and howe...