The Babysitting Contract | j...

By kookings

❝The only reason Kim Taehee agrees to help her sworn enemy Jeon Jeongguk babysit his younger brothers for thr... More

00 • author's note
01 • water guns
02 • proposition
03 • champagne
04 • contract
05 • bedroom
06 • breakfast
07 • teacher
08 • sex
09 • zipper
10 • basketball
11 • zombie
13 • dance
14 • restart
15 • forgotten
16 • space/rocket ship
17 • dishes
18 • hammer
19 • anarchy
20 • window
21 • date

12 • biology

9.8K 673 993
By kookings

◦ ◦ ◦

It's so quiet you could hear a pin drop.

The Biology class remains fearfully silent as Mr. Bang peruses the down the aisles of desks. With his hands clasped behind his back, he peers over our shoulders, analyzing our worksheets with narrowed eyes and acid smiles.

"Pitiful," he scorns Park Jimin, who pulls his page closer and ducks his blond head in shame. From the corner of my eye I catch his cheeks flush a pretty coral pink.

Mr. Bang moves on, pausing this time at Kim Taehyung's desk. I can sense the brunette stiffen beside me, his face screwed up in a look of determined concentration. He bites at his lip, checking his textbook once more before hesitantly scratching an answer onto his page.

Mr. Bang clicks his tongue. "Embarrassing."

Taehyung curses under his breath.

My spine grows rigid as Mr. Bang's attention now shifts to me. Gulping down a wave of terror, I keep my gaze fixed to my papers and continue to scrawl down my answer. He remains hovered above me, watching me work for what could be anywhere between mere seconds to entire centuries.

I'd wager centuries.

Finally he speaks, his tone reproachful as he concedes a stiff, "Adequate work, Miss Kim."

Pride blooms in my chest.

That could've quite possibly been the best comment he's given all class — all semester, maybe, but that might be pushing it. No matter. Mr. Bang thinks my work is adequate, which is the closest thing to a gold star anyone will ever get. And I got it.

If I could do my victory dance, I would.

I release the breath I'd been holding as Mr. Bang continues on the hunt for his next victim. He passes a handful of students — all who garner feedback along the lines of horrible, terrible, repulsive — before he finally reaches Jeongguk, who sits near the front of the class.

I risk raising my head. Jeongguk shifts through his notes frantically, fingers either flying across the keys of his keyboard, flipping through the pages of his textbook or pressing pencils to paper. The cords of muscle in his back are visible through his crisp shirt. His foot taps a mile a minute.

Mr. Bang's grin is bone-chilling.

Before Jeongguk can think to react, the teacher snatches his worksheet off his desk. All eyes snap up as Mr. Bang begins lazily scanning it's content, his beady little eyes filling with bloodlust the more he reads. The class collectively holds its breath, knowing already what's to come.

"Wrong. Wrong. Wrong again." Mr. Bang laughs, a sound akin to nails on a chalkboard. "Honestly, Mr. Jeon. Were you listening to a word I said?"

The ravenet shrinks down in his chair, looking as if he wished the floor would open and swallow him whole. "Yes, Sir."

"Your dismal work says otherwise."

The bell rings. No one moves a muscle.

With one last scathing glare, Mr. Bang slams the boy's worksheet down on his desk, eliciting a sharp, hollow sound from the wood. To his credit, Jeongguk doesn't flinch. He remains made of marble, his head set dead ahead.

Mr. Bang strolls to the front of the class before turning to face us. His gaze skips over our faces, as if we are as unimportant as the crumbs of his meal or the dust beneath his desk.

"Test. Next Friday." He halts his spiel — daring anyone to voice a complaint — before sneering, "and I pray for the sake of your grades that you'll all do better than Mr. Jeon."

We say nothing.

"Class dismissed."

I, along with everyone else, quickly gather my things in a bid to high tail it out of the classroom. Before I leave, I cast a fleeting look around.

Jeongguk is nowhere to be seen.

The hallways are alive with commotion as everyone hurries to meet up with friends and make their way to the cafeteria. I limp my way through the throngs of people in the direction of the library. With a Bio test coming up and the boys to take care of at home, I need to get in as much studying in as I can.

A flash of pastel blue catches my eye, chased by a familiar tinkling laugh. I don't even flinch at the arm that links with my own, sparkly heels strutting to the beat of my own disabled gait.

"I'm so proud of you!" Nayeon croons, tossing her newly dyed cerulean hair before leaning her head on my shoulder. "You? Sneaking out? To go to a party? I've taught you well, my young protégé."

My lips twist up in a rueful smile. "The sentiment is nice but the boys actually all have plans. The Devil and I have tonight off."

"Even better." Nayeon grins, flashing her signature mischievous smile. "Speaking of, how's that going?"

"Exactly as you'd expect it would."

"So you guys banged?"

I nearly choke on my spit. "What? No. Why is that the first thing you think happened?"

"Well, I mean, you're a bi-curious girl. And he's a straight-ish guy. And... well, you know—"

"I'm going to stop you right there. My ears are bleeding."

"I'm just saying." She shrugs, completely oblivious to the unattractive red splotching my cheeks. "It's bound to happen. I have three flavoured condoms bet on him deflowering you before the three weeks are over."

I gasp, slapping her arm. "You promised you wouldn't tell! What part of you-cannot-tell-anyone-about-this-ever did you not understand?"

I'm dismissed with a wave of her manicured hand. "Give me a break. You really think my mom is going to say anything?"

"Sometimes I forget I'm your substitute best friend."

"Don't be ridiculous!" Nayeon winks. "My dad's the substitute. You're just the backup to my backup."

"Really feeling the love right now."

"Good, because I do love you. Also, side note — I'm too young to be a godmother."

"Nayeon!"

We come to a stop outside of our school's theatre, where the aspiring actress currently has to conduct the meeting of the drama club. As the co-president, Nayeon takes her job seriously — even more so seeing as Kim Seokjin (whom I know she wants to impress, much to her denial) is the other head of the club.

"Right. This is me. You better not forget about our shopping trip this afternoon to fix all" — Nayeon gestures to the entirety of me — "this."

"And miss our plans to blow the entirety of my paycheck on some stupid highschool party? Who do you take me for? An idiot?"

"Yes. You are an idiot. Now go away and do some nerd shit." She releases a dramatic groan worthy of a stage. "God, I still can't believe I have to be seen with a dork like you tonight. My social rep is going to take a nose dive."

"Again, your love for me is overwhelming. You're borderline obsessed with me. Stop it. Get some help."

She blows me a kiss, to which I pretend to catch it and slap it to my ass.

The crowded hallways have frittered down to lumps of stragglers. Everyone's already upped and scrambled to get in line for today's hot lunch. It makes it easier for me to make my way to the library. Though my foot has gotten much better over the past two days, it still isn't healed completely. I'm left with a mild limp that's easier to manage without being practically trampled by my classmates.

The cool, quiet coves of books feel like home. I meander my way through the rows of colourful spines and treasure troves of knowledge in the direction of the back wall, where a handful of study alcoves reside.

My favourite nook sits to the far left, overlooking the school grounds through a magnificent bay window. It's the only alcove without a wobbly table or drastically stained seats or a broken outlet that sparks every time you try to plug something in. It's a slice of heaven amongst this high school hell.

Because it's far enough to the side and concealed by a potted plant, most students barely cast it a second glance, opting instead for the ones out in the open where they can gather freely with friends or peers. No one ever sits there.

Which is probably why I'm so initially floored to find a boy already studying in that spot.

My spot.

The audacity.

My fingers curl tightly around my books as I watch the whirlwind of a boy riffle through his things, nearly knocking over his drink in the process. The desk — my desk — looks akin to a war zone, so riddled with books, papers and materials that you can barely even see the graffitied mahogany wood. Even the seats — my seats — are caked far and wide in personal items.

The disrespect.

I'm so lost in my annoyance that I have to be jolted — literally — out of my trance by someone who bumps into me from behind. I'm sent stumbling forward with a gasp, barely able to catch myself on a desk before I face plant.

"Gosh, I'm so sorry, babes."

Collecting myself with a huff, I turn to face my assailant. An apologetic Gi greets me, looking as opulent and perfect as a porcelain doll. With her soft brown curls tied back in a velvet bow and cherry lips stretched in a charming smile, she adjusts the tray of food in her arms.

"I can be such a klutz sometimes," she laments cutely, shaking her head. She then gives me a quick once-over, her brows knitting in a frown. "Say, you look familiar. I know you, right?"

"We've had class together." Every semester for the past four years. I nod my head in greeting. "I'm Kim Taehee."

"Oh! You're in my Biology class!" Her giggle sounds like angels crying. "Speaking of, my boyfriend — you know him, right? Jeon Jeongguk? Quarterback of the football team? You must know of him!— anyways, he's over there already studying for that damn test." She points over to the alcove on the left — my alcove. "I've just come to bring him lunch. He tends to forget to eat when he's stressed."

Jeongguk? Stressed? For school?

For as long as I can remember, Jeongguk's always excelled in all his classes — it's infuriated me to no end. Though he doesn't know it, it's always been a personal vendetta of mine to achieve a higher grade than him. It's driven me to study hard not only to succeed but to beat him, even though more often than not, we end up tied for top mark in the class (despite him not even lifting a finger).

Which is why it's so baffling that he could be stressed for one. Or is it? I'm suddenly reminded of Mr. Bang's critique of Jeongguk's work in Biology and how jittery he had seemed.

Maybe it hadn't just been a fluke.

I shake my head to clear my thoughts. "That's, um, really nice of you, Gi."

I curiously take in the food laden tray in her hands. The apple immediately sticks out like a sore thumb. Jeongguk hates apples.

"Trust me: it's nothing. He'd do the same for me in a heartbeat. He's so sweet." Gi emits a dreamy sigh. "Well, I guess I'll see you tonight. You are going to Baekhyun's, right?"

"Wouldn't miss it."

"Perfect!"

She leans in to press a swift kiss to my cheek before strutting over to the ravenet. The sensual sway of her hips snags the attention of nearly everyone in the library — and judging from the coy smirk painting her features, she damn well knows what she's doing and the effect she's having.

Despite the strict inside voices only policy of the library, Gi's sweet voice floats through the space. I shove my earphones in my ears to drown it out as I reluctantly seat myself in the last free study booth. The table groans and tilts as I sling my bag onto it and dump out it's contents, and there's a suspicious white stain on one of the seat cushions that doesn't quite look like food.

Lovely.

With my music blaring, I manage to get a good twenty minutes of studying done before I finally realize I'm no longer alone.

I flick up my gaze to watch as Jeongguk takes a seat across from me, features tight, materials in hand. His dark fringe dusts his brow in soft kisses as he tilts his head, staring at me expectantly.

I ignore him, returning back to my work.

A flash of movement catches my eye and suddenly Jeongguk has reached over and jerked the earbuds from my ears.

I pin him with an unimpressed glare.

"What are you doing?" I hiss, mindful to keep my voice low. I quickly glance around, checking for prying eyes before leaning closer to him. "Rule number one, idiot."

Rule number one of The Babysitting Contract: no one can know about us.

And I'm pretty sure interacting in broad daylight breaches that rule.

He shrugs, shifting closer as well. "It's rude to ignore people."

"Yeah, well, it's also rude to yank out people's earphones in the middle of their study anthem."

"I need your help."

I blink once, twice, before his words fully register in my head.

"You need my help?"

He ducks his head, throat bobbing. He slides a paper across the table. "With question two on the review. I don't understand what it means by—"

"Wait, hold on. I'm still trying to— wow. Wow." I flash a shit-eating grin. "Can we take a moment to appreciate that the Jeon Jeongguk — alpha male, ruler of the school, four time honour roll student — needs my help?"

Jeongguk visibly stiffens, his features deadpanned.

I prop my chin in my hand and watch gleefully as he looks away. He seems to have taken a peculiar interest in the panes of the window. It's too easy, I think as I notice the muscle in his jaw pulsing.

Flashing my teeth, I scoff. "I thought you were supposed to be good at Bio."

"Look, are you going to help me or not?"

His gaze is hot and fiery as it clashes with mine in a silent war. I don't dare look away, staring him down.

The earth gradually stops spinning on its axis. Time seems to slow, but as it does, some of my initial wit starts to dissipate. I begin to note the tones of unease and vulnerability hidden in the depths of his irises.

The past few days begin to relapse in my head like a broken stereo — how he got my notes from Namjoon; how he made lunch when I was sick; how he tended to my foot; how he let me sleep off my cold while he took care of the boys; how he's let me off duty with a free pass as I slowly recovered.

My hands clench. I hate owing people. And right now, it appears that I owe Jeongguk my right arm. My loath for being in debt trumps my dislike for him.

Damn it.

I'm just about to speak when Jeongguk jumps the gun and beats me to it. His once passive features contort in a venomous sneer.

"You know what?" he snaps, snatching up his things. "Forget it. Pretend I never asked."

A wave of guilt crashes over me as I watch him stand to leave, and before I know it, I burst out, "Wait!"

What little whispers and small chatter that once filled the library suddenly screech to a halt. All eyes snap up to fix on a frozen me — the girl they may vaguely recognize passing in the hallways — and a rigid Jeongguk — the boy who needs no introduction.

Whereas I flush under the sudden onslaught of attention, Jeongguk simply spins on his heel and slides back into the seat facing me.

"Rule number one, idiot," he scorns, but the slant of his eyes and the slight uptick of his lips are a dead giveaway — he isn't upset in the slightest.

"Shut up and give me the paper."

Jeongguk wordlessly obliges. I proceed to busy myself with scanning the questions in an attempt to distract myself from the rising buzz of murmurs that I know have everything to do with gossip.

"I still don't understand how cloning works," Jeongguk admits candidly before rising to take the seat beside me instead of across from me.

"Well, that makes two of us," I quip.

He fixes me with a dry look.

After familiarizing myself with the concepts of the question, I patiently start to explain the question to Jeongguk — though it becomes quite clear that he lacks a basic understanding of the topic. I'm subsequently forced to backtrack and start from the very beginning before gradually building upwards.

I'm caught off guard by how intently he listens to me. After quickly grasping a hold on his understanding of his first question, he begins to pester me for answers, adamant on understanding absolutely everything Mr. Bang taught on this unit through me.

I can't force myself to say no.

Gradually, the tension in his form loosens and he returns back to his regular annoying self. Though he still pays attention, I find him growing more distracted by his phone, the onlookers in the library or my face.

"Hey!" I snap my fingers in front of his eye-line to jolt him from a particularly unnerving zone out on my face. "Concentrate, loser."

"I think you mean concentrate please, oh valued paying customer."

I frown. "Come again?"

"I compensate you handsomely."

"You don't pay me. Your mom does."

He flashes a boyish smile. "But I'm handsome. And that's your compensation."

We've barely scratched the surface of the material when the bell rings, signalling the end of lunch. I quickly pack up my things, knowing a particularly gruelling lab awaits me in Chemistry.

"Thanks."

I look up to see that though he's ready to go, Jeongguk's waiting for me to finish gathering my stuff. I had half expected him to race out like his ass was on fire — as I wholeheartedly would have done — but instead he lingers behind, scratching his head earnestly.

"Don't mention it."

He looks thoughtful. "You know, you'd actually make a semi-decent teacher."

"Probably why it's my top career choice," I mutter to myself, finally zipping up my bag.

"You still want to be a teacher?"

I whirl to face him. "What do you mean still?"

"Oh, I just thought... well, I remember that's what you said you wanted to be when we were younger. You'd always insist on playing classroom so you could be the teacher and boss me around."

The memory strikes a chord of childish oblivion and I exhale a chuckle.

"Huh. I forgot about that."

"Lucky you," Jeongguk jeers as we start to make our way out of the library together. "I still can't forget the image of you half-naked and whacking me with a ruler for not listening."

"You weren't."

"Because you were trying to argue that Superman would beat Iron Man in a fight."

"He would."

A round of childish bickering burgeons between us as we push open the doors. Too soon, our tempers begin to flare, voices raising in volume even over the smallest of spats. I'm fully ready to sock Jeongguk in the jaw for insinuating Iron Man would ultimately destroy Superman when the uneven clack of heels suddenly draws my attention.

"There you are," Nayeon gasps, coming to clutch my arm. It takes her a beat to notice I'm not alone, and upon realization, her winded demeanour automatically shifts into that of the confident seductress I know all too well.

"Well hello there, Jeongguk."

"Hey, Nayeon," the boy greets politely, though I'm still the target of his glower. He seems reluctant to let our argument slide, but with the newfound presence of my best friend, he ultimately chokes out, "I guess I'll see you tonight."

Taehee: 1. Jeongguk: 0.

Booyah, motherfuckers.

"Oh, you'll see her, alright," Nayeon purrs with a wink. Naked and ready to

"— take a nice hot shower!" I all but shout, my cheeks flaring pink as I grapple for her bejeweled hands.

I still haven't told her Jeongguk can sign, which I'm starting to realize may have been a fatal mistake.

The boy in question cocks a brow, a dashing smirk settling on his lips. He braces himself against the lockers and gives me a humoured once over.

"And why on earth would I be in the shower with you?"

Despite my best efforts, Nayeon manages to free one hand. Obviously because

"—I could drown," I frantically supply, mentally cursing Nayeon to the depths of hell. "Which would suck. So, you know, safety precautions and such."

Jeongguk's smirk stretches into a full-blown grin. "Of course. You can never be too careful."

Taehee: 1. Jeongguk: 1.

Boo minus the yah, motherfuckers.

"Right," I breathe, ignoring Nayeon's probing glare. "Anyways, as much as I've hated this, Nayeon and I have lots to do. Important business affairs. Things and whatnot. So... bye."

Neglecting Jeongguk's laughter, I grab Nayeon's wrist and drag her with me through the humming hallways. I don't slow until I'm certain we're miles out of earshot.

"Nice moves, slick," the blue-haired girl comments. "That'll show 'em."

"Why are you the way you are?"

"Excuse you. I'm a goddamn delight." Nayeon rolls her eyes upon seeing my steeled features. "Chillax, Tae. You need to loosen up. Tonight should do you some good." She nudges my arm with her own. "Besides: drunk, clingy and loose-lipped Taehee is my favourite Taehee."

I groan, mostly because she's nailed my drunk persona to a T.

This should be interesting.

◦ ◦ ◦

this slightly filler (but necessary) chap is deds to @dimpletales and @serenity_min (idk y wattshit won't tag u??) for saying my author's notes? are? mildly? entertaining? ya'll rly gassed me tF up and now im thinking abt publishing an a/n book (not to be confused with a personal book) where i literally just post blank chapters and then at the end go off in my author's notes lel anyways i only accept positive and supportive feedback

also. ya'll. can we just. D2. pls. ive t r a n s c e n d e d the physical realm and now exist solely as a particle of nothing in space bcs yoongs absolutely o b l i t e r a t e d me.

edited by the foot-loving sedetiam

hugs and kisses,
sunny

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

38.2K 2.4K 17
"𝑰 𝒘𝒂𝒔𝒏'𝒕 𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒏 𝒑𝒍𝒂𝒏𝒏𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒐𝒏 𝒇𝒂𝒍𝒍𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒊𝒏 𝒍𝒐𝒗𝒆 𝒘𝒊𝒕𝒉 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒃𝒖𝒕 𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒏 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒈𝒂𝒗𝒆 𝒎𝒆 𝒕𝒉𝒂𝒕 𝒂𝒅𝒐𝒓𝒂�...
35.8K 2.1K 54
"I hate him. He hates me. It's been this way all our lives. Why should this change suddenly?" --- "Let's make a deal" × × Jimin and Jeongguk absolute...
5.5K 318 38
THIS IS A BOY X BOY FANFIC Kim Taehyung has a great family,great friends and school... BUT There is one thing that he haven't discover and feel that...
807K 34.1K 43
She is Kim Sundeok. Only daughter of the Kim family. Only sister of the seven older boys.Twin baby sister of Jungkook. A household with chaos. Tro...