Tag You're It || Tate Langdon...

By big_poppa123

"Can anybody hear me I'm hidden under ground? Can anybody hear me am I talking to myself? Saying, 'tag, you'r... More

CAST
HOME INVASION
MURDER HOUSE
HALLOWEEN PART 1
HALLOWEEN PART 2
PIGGY PIGGY
OPEN HOUSE
RUBBER MAN
SMOLDERING CHILDREN
BIRTH
AFTER BIRTH
RETURN TO MURDER HOUSE

PILOT

9.9K 220 335
By big_poppa123

//

Peter Harmon vividly remembers the day that his family moved to California for a fresh start.

The reason was...his family was broken.

His mother, Vivien, was pregnant with a seven-month-old boy but had a miscarriage. Peter was devastated because all he's been asking for since he was a kid was a little brother he could teach new things. And to have that all come crashing down in just a moment was the worst.

The situation at home got worse and much tenser when Peter's father, Ben, had cheated on his wife with one of his psychiatrist students.

And the worst part was...Peter met that student multiple times and actually got along well with her, Hayden. Despite the age difference, Peter enjoyed Hayden's sarcastic humor and attitude. She made him laugh.

He knew he should've seen it because she came over to their house to 'talk' to Ben or for 'private lessons'.

When his mother told her two children what Ben had done, Peter felt angered and betrayed by his own father and his so-called 'friend'.

Peter's twin sister, Violet, she took it harder than him even though she tried not to show it. She began to self-harm again (despite that Peter made her promise not to do it anymore), she began to fail in school and eventually, starve herself.

Peter himself, he tried to be strong for his mom, his sister, and even though he was disgusted at his dad for his actions, him too. But it slowly affected him. He didn't eat much, just picked at his food, and stayed silent a lot more often but he never once raged at anyone. He just pushed it down and tried not to let it bother him.

As Peter looks back at these problems now, they seemed so small and unimportant compared to everything that's been happening in the present.

Peter had his head leaned against the car window, his eyes barely watching the cars on the freeway they passed by since he was still drowsy from the long nap he took in the car ride. All he did was stuff his earbuds in his ears, turned his iPod music to max volume, and slowly fell asleep.

When he woke up, Ben was driving through Los Angeles, California getting closer to their potential new home.

He removed his earbuds as Vivien spoke, "The light is different out here. It's softer."

"It's called smog," Violet snidely replied which caused Peter to chuckle quietly.

"You should be excited, Vi," Ben told her. "You can stop sneaking cigarettes and just start taking deep breaths."

"Yeah, Vi," Peter teased. "Smell the fresh, smoggy air."

"That's including you, Pete," Ben added. "You're no better than your sister."

"Yeah, Pete," Violet mocked in a playful tone. "You're no better than me."

"Mom said I was," Peter replied, petting their dog, Hallie, beside them.

Vivien chuckled. "I did not say that," she stated. "I love you both equally."

Simultaneously, Peter and Violet hummed in disbelief.

"I need to go to the bathroom," Violet said, removing her sunglasses.

"We're almost there," Ben told her.

"I need to go," she said again in a stronger tone.

"Vi, it's a freeway," Ben stated. "Really, where do you want me to pull over? Maybe the Honda next to us has a bathroom or something."

"Bet if baby substitute had to shit," Violet nodded to Hallie. "You'd find somewhere."

"Don't bring her into this," Peter said, holding the dog closer to him.

"Really? Violet, I hate that word, unless I'm saying it," Vivien told her daughter, looking back at her, removing her own sunglasses.

"That's unfair, Mom," Peter spoke.

"It is fair because I'm the parent and you two are the children," Vivien stated.

"He acts like a child," Violet said, poking at Peter.

"I know you are but what am I?" Peter joked, getting Violet to roll her eyes but smiled anyway.

No matter how many times Violet says she's not close with Peter, it was a lie every time. He could make her smile even when days were bad.

"A pain in the ass," Violet replied.

Ben spoke up, "I'm really glad we named you Violet, instead of our second choice."

"Which was?" Violet asked.

"Sunshine," Vivien answered.

Ben and Vivien chuckled while Violet just mocked their laughter.

"It's funny. Come on, you gotta admit it's funny," Ben told her.

"If that's true, I'm scared of the names you might've given me," Peter stated.

"No, my names for you were completely normal," Ben told him.

"Your names?" Peter asked. "You and Mom didn't collaborate on names?"

"No," Vivien answered. "Once we found out it was a boy and a girl, we butted heads so much on agreeing with names, we decided I was naming Violet while your dad named you."

"Why Peter?" Peter questioned.

"Because I wanted to name you after my favorite superhero since I was a kid," Ben stated.

Peter huffed. "Dad, you seriously named me after Spider-Man?" he asked.

"It could've been worse," Vivien stated. "He had another name in mind."

"Don't tell me one of them was Thor," Peter replied. At this Ben and Vivien were silent which gave Peter his answer. "You're kidding..."

Ben and Vivien laughed while Violet snickered. "I could see you as a Thor," she replied.

"And I could see you as a Sunshine," he mocked in her tone.

"Luckily, you look more like a Peter than a Thor," Ben answered, glancing at his son in the rear-view mirror.

***

In a short amount of time, Ben and Vivien were at the new house, standing in front of the door together as Ben rang the doorbell before he looked around at the large house. "I love it. Don't you love it, hon? I mean, it looks even better than it did online."

It was indeed a beautiful home...probably even more beautiful and bigger than most homes in the neighborhood.

"Yeah, it's interesting," Vivien stated.

Peter and Violet stood in the middle of the walkway looking at the house.

"Great. So we're the Addams Family now," Violet remarked to Peter.

"I thought we already were," Peter answered. "I mean, with you acting like Wednesday."

Violet looked at him. "If I'm Wednesday, you're Pugsley."

"And I'm proud of it," he stated.

"Hey, crabby pants, Spider-Man," Ben called. "Come here."

"I'll never get over the fact Dad named me after him," Peter told his sister before they stood in front of the door. "Isn't this place amazing?"

"It's new," Peter replied.

The door swung open, revealing Marcy, the realtor Peter has heard Ben talk to.

"Welcome," she greeted. "You must be the Harmons. Ben, I'm assuming," she said, sticking her hand out.

"Yes, I'm Ben," he answered before motioning to his family. "This my wife, Vivien, my son, Peter, and my daughter, Violet."

"Hello," Vivien greeted, shaking her hand as well.

"Well, come in," she told them before the family walked in.

Peter looked around, admiring the stained glass in the doors as well as how clean the place looked, he was lost in thought.

"It's a classic L.A. Victorian," Marcy began. "Built around 1920 by the doctor to the stars at the time. It's just fabulous." She noticed Peter looking at one of the ceiling lights. "These are real Tiffany fixtures." His eyes suddenly moved to the floor. "As you can see, the previous owners really loved this place like a child. They restored everything."

"Gay?" Vivien questioned.

Peter's head shot back up to which Violet nudged him. "What's wrong with you?" she asked.

"Nothing," he answered.

"What do you think?" Marcy asked them.

"Tiffany. Wow," Ben said to his children.

"Do you cook?" Marcy asked as they all entered the kitchen.

"Viv is a great cook. I got her cooking lessons a few years ago, and she ended up teaching the teacher a few things," Ben answered.

"Cooking lessons... romantic. Aren't you a psychologist?"

"Psychiatrist," Ben corrected as Vivien placed Hallie down on the floor. "You said something on the phone about there being a study that I could use as a home office? I'm planning on seeing patients here, so I can spend more time with the family."

"How refreshing."

Hallie could be heard barking in the other room and could be heard clearly by the entire family to which Vivien turned to her son as she inspected the cabinets above the counters. "Peter, honey, would you go see where Hallie went?" Peter nodded before walking out to where the family dog went. "Thank you," Vivien called out.

Peter followed Hallie's barking to which he found her standing at a door, still barking as he approached. He knelt down and pet her head softly. "Hey, girly. What are you barking at?" he asked her.

The dog fell silent but she still stared at the door.

Peter slowly stood up following her gaze before reaching for the door handle, turning it before pulling on it but the door was stuck in place.

"Is it locked?" Violet asked, approaching her brother, exiting the kitchen.

"I don't think so," he answered before pulling again but the door still didn't budge. "Just stuck."

"Or you're just weak," Violet remarked.

Peter glared at her. "Ha, so funny I forgot to laugh."

After one final pull, he got the door to creak open. There was a stairway that leads into a basement below.

"Think there's a dead body down there?" Violet asked.

Peter sighed. "You've been watching too many criminal shows, Vi. I'm sure it's just a basement." He turned on the light switch by the door, dimming up the basement before he began to walk down the stairs with Violet following. The basement's room temperature was about 70 degrees or lower if Peter had to guest and it smelled like mildew but it was empty as far as the Harmon twins could tell. "Guess I found my new hiding place from you," Peter remarked at Violet with a small chuckle.

Violet scoffed and rolled her eyes. "Just shut up and come on," she told him, walking back upstairs.

Peter crossed his arms. "I'm only leaving this basement because I want to," he told her before walking back upstairs, shutting off the light and closing the door.

He picked up Hallie who was still waiting by the door, holding her in his arms before he and Violet walked into the living room.

"You know if we're here for a 'fresh start', can you get a haircut?" Violet asked him to which he glared at her. "I'm not trying to be an asshole, I'm trying to look out for you. The hair you have now doesn't exactly work for you."

Peter ran one hand through his shaggy brown hair. "I thought it fits me."

"You look like you're trying to be Justin Bieber but failed miserably," Violet remarked.

"Love you too, sis," Peter remarked now listening to the conversation between Marcy and his parents.

"...The last owners probably covered it up. They were modernists. Speaking of the last owners, full disclosure requires that I tell you about what happened to them," Marcy began.

"Oh, God...they didn't die in here or anything, did they?" Vivien asked it was clear that she was joking but the joke ended with Marcy's answer

"Yes, actually, both of them," Marcy answered. "Murder-suicide. I sold them the house, too. They were just the sweetest couple. You never know, I guess."

"That explains why it's half the price of every other house in the neighborhood, I guess," Peter mumbled, looking at the older wallpaper in distaste.

"I do have a very nice mid-century ranch, but it's in the Valley, and you're going to get a third of the house for twice the price," Marcy told the Harmons'.

"Right," Ben answered.

"Where did it happen?" Violet asked.

"The basement," Marcy answered.

Violet and Peter share a look before Violet spoke, "We'll take it."

***

Eventually, the family moved in just days later. The Harmons' paid for movers to bring their stuff to the new home while everyone got settled in.

Tomorrow would be the first day of school for Violet and Peter. Despite being twins, they were very different especially when it came to school.

Violet was always an outsider. She'd always be the girl who sits in the back of the library, smoking a cigarette claiming it was her lunch while reading one of her favorite yet depressing novels.

Peter always noticed when his sister disappeared just as he's about to make friends with some group of people. He would go off to find her and when he did, he'd sit beside her and talk with her so she didn't feel alone. He did it so often, he wouldn't leave until the bell rang for their next class.

Violet told him to make friends of his own because he can't have his sister as his only friend because that's just sad. But he couldn't help it. Being there for his twin, even when she doesn't want him to be was just hardwired into him.

She appreciated it though considering Peter was the one person who would talk to her about anything. It's been just a lot harder since this past month because of the family drama and they both had a habit of shutting people out.

But they haven't been doing that since they moved to the new house.

Peter stared at himself in the mirror, a distressed expression on his face as he ran his hands through his now short hair.

He had just gone to get a haircut a few hours ago and gave the woman cutting his hair specific instructions about what he wanted.

He got the scissors cut haircut. The back and sides are taken short and tapered, but never down to scalp exposure, so anyone wouldn't see Peter with any harsh fades on the back and sides.

He had been thinking about getting this haircut for a while but it all talk until now.

"It looks good," Violet told him as she started to place toothpaste on her toothbrush.

"And that's the nicest thing you've said to me in a while," Peter remarked with a small grin before grabbing his own toothbrush.

"What kind of sister would I be if I didn't say one nice thing to you?" she asked.

Peter chuckled. "You'd be my sister, you'd be Violet Harmon," he answered before he began to brush his teeth.

"I'm not that much of an asshole," she stated. At this, Peter stopped all teeth brushing movement, looking at her with a 'really?' look which she noticed. "I'm not." He still stared at her. "Shut up."

"There it is," Peter muffled, continuing to brush his teeth.

Violet sighed. "Whatever," she remarked. "Tomorrow we start school, if you even try to sit by me as you're making friends, I will punch you." Peter visibly frowned but brushed his teeth. "Swear you won't." Peter shook his head in response. "Peter, you need to go get some friends."

Peter removed his toothbrush before spitting out a mouthful of toothpaste into the sink. "Friends don't matter if you're alone and people are being assholes to you."

"It does matter because I'm stuck with you forever anyway, you might as well make some friends before high school is over," Violet replied before continuing to brush our teeth.

Peter huffed. "Fine, I'll make friends but if these people are even bigger dicks than they were at our last school, I'm out."

Violet gave him the thumbs up in response, still brushing her teeth and so did Peter.

***

The first day of school finally arrived. The beginning classes went by quicker than Peter expected. He practically breezed through English, Algebra, and Spanish II but then lunch break came around.

He tried to keep his promise to his sister and began to talk to a group of guys about who Peter was and what they all liked. They seemed nice and all but he didn't exactly click with them even though he thought he should've.

Peter got a glimpse of Violet walking across the yard, cigarette in her right hand as she exhaled smoke.

He tried to focus on the boy, Harrison (he thinks that was his name), talking about a party one of the football players might throw but he couldn't especially when three rich-looking girls approached Violet.

He recognized one of the girls as Leah since she had let Peter borrow her notes for math so he could catch up.

Peter was a handsome boy. Everyone knew that. Most girls would be willing to do anything for Peter if he asked but he just...didn't want anything to do with girls or just people in general.

Violet drops her cigarette end and crushes it with her boot causing Leah to yell, "What the hell is wrong with you?! People sit here, they eat here!"

This definitely earned Peter's attention and to listen carefully as Violet told Leah, "You don't know me. Why are you doing this?"

"Leah's grandmother died of lung cancer. She takes this stuff pretty seriously," Becca answered.

Leah picks the cigarette up that was still smoking and demanded, "Eat it. Eat it or I'm gonna kick the shit out of you."

"No. What?" Violet answered.

Peter got in his protective brother and stood up, approaching.

"Come on, Leah, that's enough," Abby spoke.

"No, no, no, I want to see her eat it. Eat it, eat it."

"Leah, seriously, she's like 12," Becca replied.

Leah tries to force the cigarette into Violet's mouth, but Violet just tried to push her.

"Leave my sister alone," he growled, smacking the cigarette out of Leah's hand before pulling Violet back.

But not before Violet got the chance to spit on Leah, making her scream.

Both Harmon siblings laughed before Violet took his hand and both of them ran off.

"You are dead! You are dead!" Leah yelled.

Peter and Violet ran to behind the library, they were both still laughing.

"Oh my God, that was funny," Peter chuckled. "I think you got her in the eyes."

Violet looked at him. "What? You're not gonna shame me for spitting on her on the first day?" she asked, still smiling.

Peter shrugged. "I think you get a pass since she tried to shove a cigarette down your throat."

Violet chuckled once more before leaning her back against the library wall, sliding down so she sat on the floor. Peter followed her movements before sitting beside Violet.

She pulled out her carton of stolen cigarettes, pulling one out before holding the open box to her brother who took one.

Peter wasn't a heavy smoker like Violet but he did enjoy an occasional cigarette to relax in times like this.

He placed the cigarette in between his lips before leaning towards Violet as she pulled out her lighter, flicking the flame on before leaning the flame towards Peter's cigarette. The end of it turned red signaling it was lit as Peter inhaled deeply. Violet did the same with her own cigarette.

He removed the cigarette and exhaled shortly, watching the smoke leave his mouth.

"So," Violet spoke, exhaling out her own cloud of smoke. "I saw you earlier with those guys. Are they potential friends of yours?"

Peter shook his head. "I don't think so. They seemed okay but..."

"Okay is better than those bitches I ran into 30 seconds ago," Violet replied.

"I agree," Peter stated, tapping his finger against the cigarette to remove the excess ashes. "But I just actually want some potential friends that I can tell anything to."

"So basically me?" Violet asked.

"Yeah," Peter answered. "Those guys seem like they're gonna split apart by senior year. I actually want friends, and do not shame me for this, who'll stick together or at least try to after high school and college," he stated before putting his cigarette to his lips.

Violet paused before speaking, "That's actually cute of you to say but in this school..." she trailed off.

"So I'm gonna die alone and friendless?" he asked.

"Yeah but so am I," she replied.

"No, you won't because you have me," he stated, wrapping his free arm around his sister, pulling her into a side-hug.

Violet tried to push him away. "You don't count. You're my brother, I'm stuck to you forever whether I hate it or not."

"Which one is it?" Peter asked.

"I fucking hate it," she lied with a clear attitude in her tone, trying to push him away but he wouldn't budge.

"No, you don't," he told her. "And stop trying to push me away because it's not going to happen."

Violet stopped at that and just continued to smoke with her twin in peace.

***

Once school was over, Peter and Violet made it back to their new home.

Peter had finished his 3 subjects of homework in just an hour. Once he had finished, he began to unpack his room once more.

He had finished unpacking his desk and contents from his desk drawers until he pulled out his whiteboard and bulletin board, hanging it on the wall above his desk.

The whiteboard was blank for now but the bulletin board contained pictures of him and Violet from age 1 to last year as well as pictures of his family together on Christmas...those times seemed simpler than they did before.

Peter had decided to take a break. He plopped down on the seat of his bay window and pulled out one cigarette out of his front flannel pocket.

He cracked open his window before also pulling a lighter, flicking it on as he held the cigarette to his lips before inhaling the smoke slowly.

He leaned his head towards the open window and exhaled, releasing the smoke so his family wouldn't catch the scent of tobacco if they came into his room.

"That shit can kill you," someone spoke.

Peter's head snapped to the doorway in panic, fear rising that Ben may have caught him. But it wasn't his father.

It was a boy leaning against Peter's doorway carefully watching him.

This boy was around his and Violet's age, he was wearing a green and black sweater, had shaggy dirty-blond hair, a square jawline and the most intense dark brown eyes Peter has ever seen.

Peter would be lying if he said he wasn't drawn to this boy or even attracted to him. He had to the most handsome boy he's ever seen that wasn't Johnny Depp or Jon Snow from Game of Thrones.

Peter shook away his attraction to him and chuckled. "It can," he agreed. "But I think there are a hundred other things that can kill you before this," he raised his cigarette to show him. "Can get to me."

"Valid point," the boy replied calmly.

Peter stuck his hand out the window still holding cigarette so it hopefully wouldn't bother the boy. "Are you one of my dad's patients?" he asked.

"Yeah," the boy answered. "Your dad's a good listener."

"A lot of people say so." He cleared his throat. "I'm Peter, by the way. Peter Harmon."

"Tate," he introduced himself. "Tate Langdon."

Peter nodded. "Good to meet you, I guess," he replied, taking a long drag from his cigarette.

The boy, Tate, still stood in the doorway. "Peter," he spoke. Hearing Tate say his name so smoothly nearly made him choke on the smoke he had held in. "If you're trying not to get caught for something, you might want to try locking the door."

And with that final sentence and a charming smile, Tate pulled the door shut.

Forgetting he still had smoke in his mouth, he swallowed due to dry mouth which sent Peter into a coughing fit.

He threw down his barely finished cigarette out the window.

Tate Langdon. That was his name.

Peter knew he shouldn't be wanting to be around this guy especially if it's one of Ben's patients that come and go often but he felt drawn, like a force was wanting to pull him closer to Tate, get to know him better, even befriend him.

He didn't feel that when he was hanging out with Harrison and a group of guys at school but he had one conversation with Tate and it felt right to him.

***

Peter's habit for the past week has been to walk to school with his sister, breeze through all seven classes, and eventually return home to begin his homework. Once he was finished, he'd walk around their neighborhood, sometimes with Violet or without her.

Peter came downstairs from his room into the kitchen, he poured himself a glass of water, sipping it to ease his dry mouth before about to head upstairs until he heard talking.

It was coming from Ben's study where he worked.

He knew his dad's voice, of course but what made him approach quietly was someone else's voice he hadn't heard a week ago.

Peter walked closer by the door, hiding by the corner as he heard Ben and Tate laugh.

He peeked around to see Ben leaning against the table as Tate was sunken comfortably in a chair.

"Everybody can get better, Tate," Ben stated. "Everybody. I just think you're scared. Of what, I'm not sure yet. Maybe rejection. Certainly because of what your father did to you."

"I was afraid my big dick wouldn't work," Tate replied out of randomness that nearly made Peter choke on air, almost blowing his cover that he was eavesdropping.

Ben chuckled. "What?"

Tate giggled. "Yeah, that's why I didn't take the meds," he explained which made Peter smile, trying not to laugh at that. "I was afraid my dick wouldn't work. Because I met someone."

That made Peter's face fall. Who was it? Was it a girl? Of course it was. Someone he knew?

Wait, what?

Peter barely met Tate. What the fuck does he care if Tate met someone or not-

Tate's gaze suddenly moved by the door, landing straight on Peter, sending him a smile.

Peter felt the rush of heat burning his cheeks at being caught by him but he sent Tate a bashful smile before hiding back around the corner and eventually walking back upstairs.

Wanting to have a calm day, Pete lied back on his bed, turned the music in his iPod as loud as it would go before pressing play, closing his eyes and trying to relax.

The moment didn't last long when a figure appeared in his doorway once more. Peter noticed the shadow and removed his earbuds,  sitting up immediately once he saw who it was.

"Tate, hey," Peter greeted in mild surprise.

"Kurt Cobain?" Tate questioned.

"Huh?" Peter asked.

"I heard you were listening to him on that thing." He pointed to Peter's iPod. "Do you like him?" Tate asked.

Peter nodded. "Yeah, he's great."

"He is," Tate agreed, stepping into the room.

"Well," Peter began. "If you're done seeing my dad right now and I don't have anything else to do, do you maybe, I don't know...want to hang out and listen to music?" he asked. "It's up to you. You can say no."

"I know I can," Tate replied but he sat on the floor, criss-cross. "But I won't. I like music."

Peter smiled before removing his headphones and set his iPod on his desk, pressing play to begin music before sitting down across from Tate.

"Sorry if my music taste is shit," Peter told him.

"It's fine," Tate replied. "You like Kobain. That's enough." Tate inspected Peter carefully who kept tapping his fingers against his thigh almost in nervousness. "So what's your deal?"

"What do you mean?" Peter asked.

"Like who you are, where you go to school..."

"Oh," Peter caught on immediately. "Well, my name is Peter."

Tate chuckled. "Yeah, I know," he replied.

"I was named Peter after..." he paused. "Peter Parker."

Tate caught on quickly. "Wait, you were named after Spider-Man?" he asked.

"Yeah, my dad is obsessed with superheroes. Spider-Man was his favorite," Peter explained, tucking his leg under. "It's lame, right?"

"No, it's badass," Tate stated. "I wish I was named after a superhero. I'd tell everyone I knew if I was."

"Your turn," Peter told him. "What's a fact about you?"

"I have a brother and a sister," he answered.

Peter nodded. "I have a sister," he said, pointing to Violet's door across the hall. "She lives in the room across from mine."

"Are you the oldest?" Tate asked.

"No, we're twins," Peter stated. "She's only younger by five minutes."

Tate glanced at Violet's door before back at Peter. "Do you guys read each other's minds?" he asked, intrigued.

Peter laughed. "You think just because we're twins, we can read each other's minds?"

Tate laughed with him. "I don't know, I don't have a twin."

Peter glanced at the door before at Tate. "Wait, I think I'm getting something," Peter said, pausing for effect. "'Peter, mind your own business and get out of my head'."

Tate was still smiling. "You're sister sounds mean."

"She is but I love her," Peter replied, now beginning to feel comfortable with Tate. "Your turn."

This went on for three minutes, sharing random facts about one another until Tate turned everything much more serious.

Tate's smile faded. "My dad left us." Peter frowned at that. "I was ten, I think."

"Sorry, man," he replied now deciding to be serious and trying to think of something. "My sister and I are outsiders to the new school we go to."

"Westfield, right?" Tate asked to which Peter nodded. "The worst."

"You got to Westfield?" Peter asked.

"Not anymore," Tate replied. "I got thrown out of there."

"That sucks," Peter replied.

"It would've been nice if I stayed a bit longer," Tate continued. "At least I'd be friends with someone who isn't an asshole."

"Are we friends now?" Peter questioned.

"You doubted that we were?" Tate asked.

"I barely know you," Peter stated, running his tongue over his bottom lip anxiously.

"So?" Tate asked. "We can be friends regardless."

Peter smiled at that.

Friends with someone he got along with. It felt like him and Tate could have a bond that would last a lifetime. Peter hoped to God it would last a lifetime.

"Yeah, friends," Peter agreed. He leaned back so he was against the foot of his bed, stretching. "Tate, since we're friends, can I tell you something." Tate nodded in response. "I fucking hate this place. Everyone here thinks they're better than some people." He thought about Leah and her friends picking on Violet.

"They're assholes," Tate agreed.

"East Coast was much cooler. I mean, at least we had weather," Peter replied.

"I love it when the leaves change."

Peter smiled. "Yeah, me, too. It's beautiful to capture it on camera."

"Why did you move here?" Tate asked.

Peter shifted where he was sitting. "I don't know if it's something you'd want to hear."

"I hear a lot of things," Tate shrugged.

Peter sighed, the tapping on his thigh got faster. "Full discloser," he began. "My dad had an affair. My mom literally caught him in the act."

"That's horrible," Tate replied, standing up. "If you love someone, you should never hurt them...never."

"Exactly," Peter agreed and watched Tate, pick up one of the whiteboard markers, writing something on there as he continued, "And the worst part is that six months earlier, my mom had this brutal miscarriage." Peter noticed Tate had written 'TAINT' on the whiteboard. "The baby was seven months old, and we had to have this macabre funeral..." He trailed off as Tate sat back down. The tapping against his thigh moved quicker. "It was probably one of the worst feelings and sights I've ever seen."

Tate gently grabbed Peter's hand with his own, caressing it in both of Tate's hands.

It made Peter stop breathing for a moment and only watch Tate who rubbed circles on the back of Peter's hand.

Tate was the first one to speak: "I'm sorry you had to see that."

Peter was silent for a moment but didn't dare to move as heat rushed up to his face once more and his heart began to beat faster by the second. "Tate, why are you seeing my dad?" he asked.

"Don't ask questions you already know the answer to, Pete," Tate replied, still rubbing circles in Peter's hand as his eyes met Peter's. "You're smarter than that."

Peter looked into Tate's eyes. There was a pain in them but also anger and darkness as far as Peter could read into.

A darkness that would've made Peter shy away from Tate but he never did. Not until...

"What are you doing in here?" Ben demanded, now standing in the doorway of Peter's room.

Peter immediately pulled his hand away from Tate's, standing up as quickly as he could. "Dad, it's fine. I just invited him to listen to music with me."

Ben ignored him and looked down at Tate. "You need to leave, Tate. I'm sorry. He shouldn't be in here, and I think you know that. Please."

Tate slowly stood up, looking at Ben. "What's that thing you think I'm afraid of? Fear of rejection?" he asked.

Peter's eyes never left Tate's retreating form until Ben stepped in front of him.

"Stay away from him," Ben told Peter.

Peter scoffed. "Dad, come on. He's-"

"You heard me!" Ben snapped.

Despite what Ben told him, Peter knew he couldn't. He just couldn't lose the first real friend he's made in a long time.

***

The next day at school, Violet had been trying to dodge Peter ever since she and Leah got into a fight while Peter had Spanish class.

Violet had a scrape on her head and knew Peter would suspect.

She even called Peter, saying she had to stay at school later than him just so he would be home earlier before her.

Peter had returned home and began his homework, finishing it before 4 in the afternoon before heading downstairs to see his mom to get permission to walk around the neighborhood. Around that time, Violet came home, coming in through the back way in the kitchen where Vivien was.

As Peter had reached the bottom step, he heard Vivien say, "Come here. Sit, sit, sit. Boy or girl?"

"Girls. Three of them," Violet answered.

Peter walked toward the kitchen in question, glancing inside while trying not to be conspicuous.

He saw Violet sitting at a chair near the kitchen counter Vivien in front of her with first-aid cleaning supplies.

He also noticed the large, bleeding cut Violet had on her head near her left eyebrow.

"Hope they look worse than you do. You know their names?" Vivien asked.

"I'm not narking," Violet replied.

But Peter knew their names. The girls who had tried to beat up Violet.

"You know," Vivien continued. "We can easily move you and your brother to a different school. There are a lot of really good private schools right in this neighborhood.

"I'm not running away. I'm not scared of them. Not afraid of anything," Violet stated.

"It's like that time in kindergarten when you insisted that I bring you home from the slumber party 'cause all the other girls were sleeping with the nightlight on. I know you and Peter have gotten the short end of the stick, lately. This move, and...your dad and I haven't exactly been great to be around."

"Why don't you guys get divorced, if you're so miserable?" Violet asked.

"We still love each other," Vivien answered.

Violet scoffed. "You could've fooled me. I thought you hated each other. Well, at least you hated him. I don't blame you. He was a shithead." Vivien gave her a look. "Sorry."

She chuckled. "It's okay. He was a shithead. You know, we got a lot of history. Your dad's been through a lot, I've been through a lot. Guess we need each other."

"What are you scared of?" Violet asked. "You said I'm not scared of anything, so...what scares you?"

"Lately? Everything. Life will do that to you."

Violet nodded in agreement while Peter turned away from the kitchen, heading upstairs. Anyone could feel the anger radiating off him. He was angry at those three girls, specifically, Leah for what she had done to his sister.

"Mom," Violet spoke as Vivien wiped the blood away. "Can you maybe not tell Peter about...this?" She motioned to her wound.

"You don't want him to know?" Vivien asked.

"God no," Violet answered. "He'd freak out."

"Well, he just wants to look out for you," Vivien replied.

"He's been doing that too much lately," Violet muttered. "I just don't want him to worry."

"I promise I won't tell him anything," Vivien stated.

But it was too late. Peter knew and he was pissed off.

Peter reached his room, closing the door shut. He began to pace around the room at the foot of his bed.

He was trying to come up with a plan. A way to get Leah and her bitches off Violet's back.

He could threaten her? No, that wasn't it. She'd probably call the cops on him.

He could prank her or even...

There was a knock on his bedroom door that interrupted his thought process.

He walked over the door as he spoke, "Violet, I'm beyond pissed right now. Now's not a good-" He pulled the door open revealing Tate. "Oh."

"I'm not Violet but why are you pissed off?" Tate asked as Peter moved to the side so Tate could enter his room.

"Did you just finish up with my dad?" Peter asked, closing his door.

"No, I don't see him until tomorrow," Tate replied, sitting on the edge of Peter's bed. "I came to see my friend."

Peter nearly smiled at the sentiment. "I appreciate it."

"So," Tate began, crossing his legs. "What pissed you off?"

"It's nothing, man," Peter replied and resumed pacing. "It's not your problem."

"Maybe not but you don't seem the type to get angry often," Tate stated. "I can help you if you need it."

"You don't have to," Peter replied. "I don't even think you can. This is for Violet's well-being."

"Well, tell me," Tate said. "I'll just listen."

Peter tapped his hand against his thigh as he kept pacing. "There's been a girl bullying my sister for no fucking reason."

"Sounds like a bitch," Tate stated.

"She is," Peter replied. "That cokehead has been messing with Violet since the first day of school and today she tried to fight her for no fucking reason! I mean, how bored does this bitch have to be?" He stopped pacing to look at Tate. "I fucking hate her. I mean if I could kill her, I would."

"Then do it," Tate replied. "One less high school bitch making the lives of the less fortunate more tolerable is, in my opinion, a public service." Peter chuckled dryly as he sat down next to Tate. "Look, you obviously care about Violet."

Peter scoffed. "Does it show?" he sassed.

"Look, you want her to leave your sister alone? Stop making her life a living hell?" Tate asked to which Peter nodded. "Short of killing her, there's only one solution. Scare her. Make her afraid of you. It's the only thing bullies react to."

Peter chuckled once more. "Look at me, Tate. I'm not scary."

"You don't have to be," Tate stated. "It's simple. You simply walk up to her and say, 'Here's the deal: I need you to stop harassing my sister. I got what you want. Drugs. Come to my house at 6 for your free sample. I'm a dealer, and a good one. I got the best shit in town'."

"She's a cokehead. I don't have coke," Peter replied.

"You won't need any. It's just an excuse to get her here. After that, she'll leave empty-handed and terrified. And I promise you, Violet will never be bothered by her again."

"That's good," Peter told him. "How am I going to terrify her?"

Tate grinned. "That's where I come in."

"So tomorrow then?" Peter asked.

Tate nodded. "At six, bring her down to the basement and I'll handle the rest."

***

The next day at school, Peter approached Leah to lie to her about the coke he had in order to protect Violet. She took the bait and asked for his address.

Once he gave it to her, he waited until 6 when he got home, talking to Tate the whole time in the basement.

By the time it was 5:59, Peter sat at the bottom step by the front door. Time turned to 6:05 and the doorbell rang.

Peter stood up from the steps he was sitting on, walking to the front door, pulling it open.

"Hey," he greeted Leah.

"I'm not here for a visit," she replied. "I want my drugs-"

"In exchange that you leave Violet alone," Peter replied.

Violet exited out of her room about to walk downstairs but stopped in place at the top step when she saw her brother letting in Leah.

"How good is the coke?" Leah asked.

"The best kind. Wasn't cheap by the way," Peter replied, closing the door.

Violet knew right away something was up. Peter doesn't do or even sell drugs. He wouldn't even if his life was threatened.

"You got yourself a deal," Leah says.

Peter lead her towards the basement.

Violet hurried downstairs after her brother who opened the basement door. "It's in here," he stated.

As Leah descended into the basement, Violet grabbed Peter's arm. "What the hell are are you doing?" she whispered.

"Doing something that needs to be done," he whispered back. "Getting this bitch to leave alone."

Violet frowned. "She has been-"

"No, she hasn't," Peter stated. "I saw what she and her bitches did to you. When Tate and I are done with her, she'll leave you alone."

"Who's Tate?" Violet questioned.

"My friend," Peter replied before his tone turned dark. "She's going to get what she deserves."

"Peter..."

"Hey," Leah called to Peter. "It's your stash. You wanna keep the deal or what?"

Peter turned back to her. "Yeah, it's just down here," he replied, descending down the steps.

Violet followed. "Then, I'm coming too."

"Fine."

"What's down here?" Leah asked.

"My stash," Peter answered. "Parents check my room every week."

She turned to me. "If you're screwing with me..."

"Bitch, chill pill. It's just the basement," he replied. "I found the best hiding place. This is great shit, too. All the coke coming to the US from Central America smuggled in on lobster boats in Gloucester. I'd pay them heavily in cash in return for a key or two before they cut it."

"So where is it?" Leah questioned as she looked around the dark basement.

"Right around the corner," Peter answered, pointing in the direction where Tate was waiting in the other room. "To the right."

Leah went into the darkroom which Peter and Violet followed. "This place is a dump," Leah remarked.

"Oh, shut up," Violet and Peter simultaneously say.

"I want my goddamn drugs."

"Then keep going," Peter told her as Leah stepped right where she needed to be.

Peter switched the light on, scaring Leah as Tate is sitting in the middle of the room in a rocking chair.

"So this is the coke whore," Tate stated to which Peter nodded in confirmation.

"Who the hell are you?" Leah questioned.

"That's your friend?" Violet asked Peter.

Neither girls got an answer as Tate said, "Get the lights."

Peter turned off the light. The light is now flickering.

Peter didn't know what he saw but he heard Tate laughing maniacally and Leah screaming, "What is going on?! What is going on?!"

Peter could hear Tate yelling: "Come on, whore. Coke whore!"

Tate throws himself onto Leah who starts screaming, "Get off of me! Get off of me!"

At some point, some weird horrifying being takes Tate's place onto Leah. Peter was too shocked to say anything but Violet started to scream as well.

"Get off me! Get off me!" Leah yelled.

Violet screams, hugging Peter tightly while the being with sharp nails and razor teeth outstretched it's hand and approaches Leah's face.

"Mommy...?" Leah uttered.

The being starts slashing Leah's face.

Peter finally unfreezes and flicks the light on.

Leah is laying on the floor with deep bleeding scratches on her cheek and the horrifying thing from earlier was nowhere to be found.

Violet was clutching onto Peter in fear, her hand holding a tight fistful of his shirt.

Peter's gaze flickered to Tate who is back on his rocking chair, a weird grin on his face.

Leah stood up, running out of the basement with a scared Violet and Peter following.

"Leah, wait!" Violet called but she was already upstairs. 

"I don't think she'll be bothering you anymore," Tate spoke to Violet.

"What was that?" Peter demanded.

Tate frowned. "What are you talking about? She hit me in the balls and got away. She must have run into a wall or something."

"No, I saw something. Something that wasn't even you, it was-"

"Pete, you're talking crazy. This is cool. We showed that bitch," Tate replied.

Peter didn't speak or say anything.

Violet did, taking Peter's hand. "Get out. Stay away from my brother and me!"

Despite that, Tate tried to grab Peter's other arm to tell him that it was okay but Violet just shoved the blond away, pulling his brother upstairs.

Despite running up the stairs, Peter kept glancing back down at Tate to see his eyes were filling with tears.

Peter nearly had the urge to run down to hug him or tell Tate that they'd still be friends but Violet pulled him out of the basement, slamming the door closed.

***

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

29.6K 661 17
❱ http:˚♡house_of_horror! ˚ˑؘ ⚰️ ·˚ ─────────────── ❝ I've got you ❞ ─────────────── Violet and her darling family moved in to the notorious Murder...
103K 3.6K 56
Tate did terrible things to many people, including Violet and her family. The thing is, he never wanted to do any of those things. It was the house t...
32.7K 861 36
NOTE: This is a somewhat AU story. Tate is not necessarily tied to just Murder House - it will be explained fairly early on why this is so be on the...
49.5K 1.7K 23
It's never too late to start over... [Also available on FanFiction]