Ashes of Love

By SynchronizedRats

In ancient times, the Flower Goddess dies after giving birth to a daughter. Before she passed, she fed her da... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25 - Final
Epilogue 1
Epilogue 2
Epilogue 3
Epilogue 4

Chapter 9

229 6 0
By SynchronizedRats

Holding a chicken feather as a token of authority. What sounded false when heard but is real when seen, it turns out that this phrase is not just a classical allusion. Also, it turned out that Phoenix was a bird stuffed with authority tokens, which is both tragic and admirable.

I am not a Phoenix, hence I have no habit of stuffing myself with authority tokens and running around. I didn't know before, but now that I knew, I naturally could no longer use the Phoenix feather as my hair clip. So, after entering the southern sky gate, I changed to a grape stem to clip my hair and kept the phoenix feather in my robes.

The Heavenly Empress' Banquet was indeed not ordinary. There were gods from all around, bustling and boisterously riding on a cloud and heading towards the Purple Cloud Palace. The cloud I was riding on was not large and had almost completely dispersed outside the palace gate, but fortunately Master Pu Chi had astutely and quickly gave me a hand, and hence I had landed safely.

The palace was filled with the divine essence of the gods. I found a space at the back and satisfied sat down. Master Pu Chi grabbed a cushion next to me and grandly sat down. I waved at him and said, "Master Pu Chi led the way very well, I am very satisfied. Now, Master Pu Chi can go back."

Master Pu Chi's eyes gave out a flash of surprise, he said in an aggrieved and dejected tone, "Xiao Er Immortal has dismantled the bridge after crossing it so quickly, I have no preparation in my heart at all!"

"Ah, then Master Pu Chi can prepare now. Just that how long will Master Pu Chi take to prepare?" We fruits are usually generous, easygoing, and kind to others.

Master Pu Chi seriously reflected for a moment and said, "I'm very weak, I'm afraid that unless there is an hour or two, I will not be able to accept this quick turnaround."

I raised my eyebrow, and Master Pu Chi laughed widely and continued, "I know astronomy and geography, I can not only lead the way, but I can also talk and accompany Xiao Er Immortal, and pass the boring moments in this banquet."

I looked around and saw that of the gods that were talking to each other, there was none I recognized. Fine, I guess I will leave this water sprite as a companion.

At this moment, barely discernible wisps of clouds floated in from outside of the door, one extremely beautiful female goddess gracefully made her willowy slender entrance. "This is Lady Yao, the goddess of Wu Mountain, graceful and curvaceous, she is the most charming of the young goddesses. But, although curvaceous, her waist is twenty-four inches, so she lacks some slenderness in the waist." Master Pu Chi, who is well-versed in astronomy and geography, said next to me.

Not a moment too soon, another weak and gentle-looking female goddess arrived. "Ah, this is a female elite from Xiang Shui, although her hands are a bit too big, her gentle weak demeanor leads many to want to treasure her. Men especially like this type, don't you agree?" Master Pu Chi hit my shoulder and sought to gain my assent. I looked at this female elite in the middle of two other female immortals as they walked daintily as if on the verge of collapse, and nodded my head in approval. Master Pu Chi then sighed, "But it's also not good to be as weak like tofu that is about to break, there still needs to be some vigor."

At the mention of vigor, the presence of a sword was felt, and in stepped a strong female goddess with a sword. Her slender eyebrows were raised upwards and her gaze was sharp. "Ah, this is Tian Hai's elite guard. Truly a warrior among women!" Master Pu Chi continued to gossip, "But often using her military might, it's afraid that not many male gods in the heavenly realms will be able to take her."

After criticizing another eight to ten goddess' looks and personalities later, I had to admit that Master Pu Chi was someone who loved to gossip and stopped him, "Master Pu Chi appears to know quite comprehensively."

"Indeed!" Master Pu Chi grandly shook his robe and gave a look of utter pride, "To think that the book, <The Grand Appreciation Tome of the Beauties in the Six Realms>, which was once wildly popular in the six realms was wholly written by me! But now, there is only one existing copy. It's a pity that the beauties in the present age have deteriorated and are nowhere near the beauties of the past. Just reminiscing the Flower Goddess Zi Fen, now that was a real beauty, but a pity that beauties always have brief lives." Master Pu Chi shook his head and wrung his elbow in despair.

Ah, old ancestor Flower Goddess, I thought of her small tombstone, indeed her life was brief.

"His Royal Highness Night Deity has arrived! His Second Royal Highness Phoenix Deity has arrived!" The little god attendants outside the palace flicked the horsetail whisk and reported aloud. Master Pu Chi audaciously grabbed my shoulder and said excitedly, "It is said that the Flower Goddess..."

Suddenly, I felt that above my head was covered by dark clouds. It turns out that Phoenix had grandly sat on one of the palace thrones and had raised his eyebrow and shot a glare at me. Ah, this sharp glance is a bit too good. But, somehow it does not appear to be friendly, perhaps after waking up from the alcohol he has remembered that I cheated him of three hundred years of cultivation.

Thus, like an ostrich burying its head in the sand, I turned my head in another direction and pretended I did not see him, leaving his gaze which was like a sharp sword to slice at will at my head.

It was fine to turn my head, but when I saw Night, his starry gaze appeared to float towards my corner and his face had an expression of mild shock, as if seeing me was unexpected, yet also within his expectation. I gave him a smile, but unexpectedly he did not smile but fell into deep thought. Did he blame me for breaking his boundary and running to the Heavenly Realms myself?

"The Water God has arrived! The Wind Goddess has arrived!" The small god attendant cried a little too loudly I thought, my heart was feeling a little guilty, and after his shout, my heart almost jumped out.

An elegant male god and a dignified looking female goddess grandly made their entrance with one in front and one in the back. They politely tried to invite the other to sit first, and after a while, the Wind Goddess reluctantly sat down first. This was a heavenly couple that treated each other with respect akin to guests.

"An unhappy couple!" Master Pu Chi nagged in my ear.

The Water God was as I had last seen him, his immortal demeanor was peaceful and indifferent as if he could comprehend everything but see everything as nothing. He was of an extremely high level and I was extremely envious.

Night bowed his head towards the two and the two returned a polite gesture.

After this back and forth, a magnificent entourage made a loud and extravagant entrance. At the head was a goddess that was extremely captivating, she wore a fur cap that was very eye-catching. She was accompanied left and right by beautiful female immortals and this elevated her status even more. It was rare that even Master Pu Chi did not give any criticisms, I pondered - could this be today's birthday star, the Heavenly Empress? 

Who knew that this "Heavenly Empress" would elegantly walk to the palace front and stylishly bow towards Night and Phoenix. She said, "Sui He of the Bird Tribe greets the two Highnesses." It turns out that she wasn't the Heavenly Empress, but the peacock that was the head of the bird tribe - the one that Flower Leader had cut off the food supply for ten over years. But it looks like the supply has been restored, as her cheeks were supple and red, and the bird immortals behind her were energetic and healthy.

"Besides the immortals from the Flower World, it looks like all the female goddesses and immortals are here at the Heavenly Empress' Birthday Banquet today," Master Pu Chi muttered, "Unless they are taking this opportunity to settle Phoenix's marriage as well?"

Ah? So, it's to choose a wife for Phoenix.

An immortal nearby stroke his white beard and said philosophically, "This immortal friend speaks soundly, I am of the same opinion."

In a short while, the surrounding immortals all turned their heads in assent, the excitement grew, one spoke one agreed, the discussion became very heated. Indeed, regardless of being on heaven or earth, gossip will never die.

I could not help being infected and excitedly joined the discussion, listening to Master Pu Chi comparing all the female goddesses and immortals present today. I saw Phoenix was speaking to the peacock goddess next to him in a low voice and had a sudden inspiration.

"I bet two grapes that the peacock goddess will win."

"I bet a jade cup that Lady Yao will win."

"I bet an immortal pill that Elite Guard Immortal* will win."

"I bet a sword tassel that Ji Guang Goddess will win."

......

In a while, the group of immortals discussed heatedly as if there were seven mouths and eight tongues, many items were put out for the gamble. Haha, all these items will be mine in the end. I gazed at his Second Highness with satisfaction. Phoenix matching Peacock, two flamboyant birds, no matter how you look at it, they are compatible!

One small immortal child held ginseng in his hand and hesitated on who to bet on, "But, but his Second Highness likes male immortals, it is said that he had a book boy that he really liked**, who followed and accompanied his Second Highness, and when the book boy cast a spell to make himself a female immortal just for his Second Highness, his Second Highness dumped him."

Ah? To think that Phoenix is the type of bird who plays with someone and then dumps them.

"Ah, speaking of this, I have heard of it before. But, it seems that the book boy actually fell for Ji Du Xing Master, and his Second Highness was dejected for a while, and that is why the book boy was cast out of his palace," The philosophical old immortal said butting in.

"Wrong, wrong, it seems that the book boy overestimated himself, and fell for the same immortal as his Second Highness..." said another immortal who could not help joining the conversation while shaking his fan.

At this moment, the loud-speaking small immortal attendant outside the palace whisked his horsetail and exclaimed, "His Heavenly Emperor arrived! Her Heavenly Empress arrived!"

Before the voice finished, the hall full of immortals all stopped talking, gathered themselves, and uniformly stood up. They respectfully gathered their hands in front and bowed their heads to welcome the two great gods. I was going to stick out my head to see what was happening but seeing all the immortals in this position, I thus did not shamelessly look around but bowed my head halfway, so that my eyes could still see slightly further.

Just with one gaze, my eyes were almost bedazzled by the light, I had not even seen the Heavenly Emperor and Heavenly Empress, but saw a flash of blinding light. I squinted and realized that two rows of female immortals were walking in front in formation, each holding a glass box that held a star that had just formed. Although the star had just gained its shape, the glow was not weak, shining through the glass such that anyone who looked at the glow would become dizzy. No wonder no immortal dared to look up! My eyes ached and I could not tolerate it in the end and lowered my head.

"May the immortal friends dispense with ceremony and all sit down!"

Amitabha, after the time it takes to make three pots of tea, I finally heard an impressive voice journey from the big palace for us to sit down.

The Flower World never had so many rules. Thus, after bowing my head for so long the blood vessels were a bit stiff when I just sat down, I felt my legs weaken and my body went crooked and fell into the arms of Master Pu Chi whose arms moved faster than his eyes. After I sat down properly and raised my head, I did not see the Heavenly Emperor of Heavenly Empress, but my gaze hit straight into Phoenix's pair of long and slender phoenix eyes.

How should I describe his gaze? I had once heard that in the mortal world there is a martial arts technique called "Raging Blaze Fist", but I have never heard of "Raging Blaze Eyes", and I also heard that the mortal world has a martial art technique called "Blizzard Fist", but have never heard of "Blizzard Eyes". But now, I privately thought that Phoenix's long slender eyes and expression, was really half a raging blaze, half a blizzard, taking turns with each, extremely worth observing.

This bird was truly stingy, I only took an extra 300 hundred years of cultivation!

I disdainfully turned my head, and changed my focus to the two great gods. The god on the right side of Phoenix was wearing a golden phoenix-embroidered silk robe, with a phoenix crown, the phoenix crown had golden pearls hanging from its side, truly showcasing her elegant and rich aura. A pair of long and slender phoenix eyes slightly lit up. Ah, looking at this coquettish expression, Phoenix truly inherited this.

"Today is my birthday banquet, how rare for all the gods to grace this occasion with your presence, causing the Purple Cloud Palace to be so full of vigor and life. I am very pleased," Even though that was what she said, the proud aura of the great god revealed a complacent expression as if all these were natural.

The gods below chorused, "It's nothing, nothing. It's a must, must. Your Heavenly Empress is too polite."

"May the banquet begin," the other great god announced. I examined him once over, a purple golden crown, white silk belt, a grand cloud patterned robe, his expression was less severe than the Heavenly Empress, his brilliant gaze unconsciously curved upwards, there were laugh lines around his mouth, he appeared to have the aura of a charmer, very different from the statue of the Heavenly Emperor that was placed in the small temples in the mortal world.

"To speak of the ability of the male gods, who is more flirtatious than the Heavenly Emperor himself? He has peach blossoms*** everywhere. It was rumored that the cold reticent Flower Goddess was charmed by him for ten thousands of years," Master Pu Chi patted my shoulder, and gazed at the Heavenly Emperor with an expression full of admiration, "If we male immortals can achieve the level of the Heavenly Emperor, then we would have reached the peak. Xiao Er Immortal should take this chance to observe, if you need to grab a female immortal's heart next time, at least you would have a model in mind."

He hurriedly continued, "But, the present Phoenix I believe has an even greater potential than his father. But, why does Phoenix keep staring at me? Unless what the other immortals say is true, his Second Highness actually like male immortals!"

Master Pu Chi flicked a hair in front of his forehead, and sobbingly sighed, "I always knew I had unconventional looks, but never thought that besides women, I will also attract males! Alas, I only like gentle girls and will have to disappoint Phoenix's love at first sight. Ah, this is to commit a sin. Xiao Er Immortal, don't you agree?"

I dazedly paused for a moment then answered awkwardly, "Truly, it is to commit a sin..."

"Night wishes the Heavenly Empress prosperity and longevity," a familiar voice coursed through the hall. I lifted my head and saw Night lift a goblet of wine in the direction of the Heavenly Empress. It turns out that the toasting has just begun, as Night was the first prince, it was logical to start from him.

The Heavenly Empress took a small sip of the wine goblet, her eyes widened and she said slowly, "Night is becoming more simple, the banquet which all the gods attend, but you only wear one stem of grapes as a hair clip. I can understand that Night is thrifty, but outsiders may not understand Night's personality like I do, and I'm afraid they will be mistaken that Night is not giving a face to me. Then, they will create some rumors of discord between us two. What does Night think?"

The night finished the goblet of wine and gave a dashing smile, "The Heavenly Empress has misunderstood. A white jade dragon clip, pure silver or golden flower clip, a jade green clip, all these might be precious, but these are just material goods. To Night, these cannot beat the value of one stem of grapes, this stem is bestowed by a close friend and have a special meaning. Today is Heavenly Empress' birthday banquet, Night thinks nothing else is more befitting of this occasion."

Haha, Night's words all speak of truth, I like it.

Master Pu Chi grabbed my shoulder and said, "Is Night's good friend, Xiao Er Immortal? I see the stem on your head is identical to his."

Ah, this Master Pu Chi lacks discrimination in his sight. Just like how no two people in this world are alike, no two grape stems are exactly the same.

"The person who accompanied you that day in the tea house is Night? You and Night..." Master Pu Chi continuously shook his head, "I always said that since the Heavenly Emperor is so flirtatious, there needs to be a balancing force, and now true to my words, who would have thought both of his sons like males!"

I was modestly listening to Master Pu Chi's speech when I suddenly saw Phoenix looked at Night and his expression rapidly darkened, in his gaze was a glare as sharp as a sword. I looked at the Heavenly Empress, her expression was profound. Only the Heavenly Emperor laughed and said, "This stem is interesting, is your close friend here today at this banquet?"

Night's expression did not change as he said lightly, "Night's friend is not a god or immortal, only a sprite, so he would not be invited today."

"What a waste. This person must be a deep philosophical wise man, why don't you invite him to the next banquet?" the Heavenly Emperor said.

"Yes," Night bowed with his hand clasped and returned to his seat.

A deep philosophical wise man? I rubbed my chin, this Heavenly Emperor has good vision, just by one grape stem he can see my character and give such an accurate description.

Phoenix lightly raised his brows and turned to speak to Night. Master Pu Chi laughed and hit my shoulder, "Ah, Xiao Er Immortal is a sprite. So you are the same level as me!"

Phoenix seeing this, immediately stopped speaking, and his gaze stopped at my shoulder. Phoenix pressed his lips, with a flick of his finger, a small red glow like a firefly flew towards me at great speed, even before I could dodge, that red glow passed my shoulder, without leaving any trace.

Thank goodness Phoenix missed his aim, who knew what would happen if Phoenix's powerful magic had hit me. I slapped my chest, and before I could celebrate, I felt something cold pressing behind me.

I reached out to grab it, it had a wet slippery feeling, I pressed it, it had a soft feeling. Long, cold, soft... unless... my hairs stood up behind my neck as I slowly turned around.

"Snake!"

A long bamboo snake had hooked around my back. I quickly jumped up. Buddha Grandfather please help me, this is the grape's mortal enemy, my whole body trembled.

"Ah?" Someone said in a deep voice with unhappiness, "What is the matter with this immortal friend?"

I turned back and saw that all the gods in the hall were sitting comfortably and looking at the standing me with suspicion. The Heavenly Empress raised her eyebrow at me, she must have been the one who spoke earlier.

The Heavenly Empress must have as bad a temper as Phoenix, it is better to have one less trouble, so I said, "Nothing, haha, nothing is the matter."

I turned around and searched for Master Pu Chi to change seats with me, but the Heavenly Empress narrowed her gaze at me and said displeased, "May I ask where this immortal friend come from? You must still wear a false appearance when you attend my banquet? Can you show your true self?"

Someone lightly coughed.

I touched my face, "Ah, I was in a rush to get out and forget to change back." Once Phoenix is angry he can conjure a snake, this Heavenly Empress' temper is as bad as Phoenix, it is better that I do not offend her. I generously waved my hand over my face.

"Wait!" A voice that sounded like Phoenix cried.

I smoothly changed back to my original appearance and confusedly looked at Phoenix, what did he want to wait for?

The gods in the hall, some had raised their goblets in mid-air, some were discussing in each other's ears, now all of them stopped moving as if they had been frozen by a spell.

"Si..." Someone sucked in a breath of cold air.

"Si..." The snake sucked in a breath of cold air.

In a while, a crashing sound was heard, someone's wine goblet had fallen and broken into pieces.

 "I'm late, late!" At that moment, a blushing figure rushed in from the palace door. Seeing the unmoving gods, and following their gaze towards me, he confusedly examined me for a moment, then appeared suddenly enlightened and cried, "Ah! Isn't this Zi Fen from the Hundred Flowers Palace? Truly such a beauty, getting more good looking each time."

Once he finished, all the gods were surprised, whatever they held in their hands - cups, fans, chopsticks, all fell towards the table.

Even if I had a strong resolve, I also felt faint, and pitied the gods in the hall - if I had just seen someone who is supposed to be comfortable sleeping in the grave jumping lively in front of them, I would also be surprised. The Moon God's vision and memory are getting worse each time.

I walked out of the shadow and stood in front of the Moon God. I corrected him kindly, "The Moon God must have seen wrongly, the Flower Goddess has long passed away."

The Moon God scrutinized me closer and suddenly smiled, "Ah, so it is Jin Mi! When you were standing in the dark, I could only see an unclear silhouette. My memory is bad, I can only remember that Zi Fen was incredibly beautiful, and forgotten there was also a Jin Mi. I deserve punishment," He spoke intimately with me as he grabbed my hand and turned me towards the palace front.

Under the glow from the stars in the glass boxes, I could see the strange yet despondent expression on the Heavenly Emperor's face slowly change as he saw my face from the front - it became an expression of shock and suspicion.

Then looking at the Heavenly Empress, what was at first an expression of alarm and helplessness, quickly changed to deep suspicion when she saw my face in the light.

Phoenix sighed* and grabbed the hair at his temples, Night's face was inscrutable.

The Water God dazedly looked at me, the white jade cup in front of him had fallen and smashed into pieces, they sadly laid in front of him in a pool of wine. At his side, the regal Wind Goddess was curiously examining me.

Seeing this group of gods, I immediately felt sad, it turns out that my looks are so alarming, no wonder the Flower Leaders always wanted me to wear the hair pin to shield my looks.

"This god is..."

"This god is..."

The Heavenly Emperor and Water God spoke at the same time. No wonder they are future parent in-laws, they have such good chemistry**.

I smoothly shook my sleeves and clasped my hands together, "I am Jin Mi. Greetings to the Heavenly Emperor and Water God." After speaking, I realized I was no longer appearing as a man, so I awkwardly kept my hands and made a feminine gesture.

After speaking, the bird tribe immortals started discussing rapidly, "Jin Mi? Is that the sprite that caused our tribe to shoulder unjust shame?"

"At which place does Jin Mi cultivate as a god now?" The Heavenly Emperor asked half anxiously and half in fear. He appeared to have anticipation and yet feared disappointment at the same time.

This expression was identical to the Water God.

As I was about to answer, the Moon God excitedly helped me, "Big brother, you are a bit ignorant, Jin Mi lives at Phoenix's palace. Speaking of which, it can be said that Phoenix brought her up, and she was Phoenix's book boy for a while."

I looked at the sky, and Phoenix continued to press his forehead. The Heavenly Emperor was confounded, the Water God was dazed, this appeared to be completely unexpected.

The gods gossiped secretively, "Book boy? Is it the book boy who seduced Phoenix and also has unclear relations with Jiu Yao Xin Gong?"

The Heavenly Empress looked at me coldly and asked Phoenix, "Where did you find such a beautiful goddess?"

Phoenix gave me a deep glance, revealing some hesitation and worry as if he had a thousand things to say but could not be expressed.

The Moon God happily replied, "Jin Mi was allegedly picked up by Phoenix."

"The Moon God has got it backward, his Second Highness was picked up by me," I rebutted, and decided to gain some credit in front of Phoenix's parents, "Speaking of which, I am sheepish to say that the incapable me had saved Phoenix's life twice."

"Ah?" The Heavenly Emperor's unexpected expression caused me to be displeased, "Jin Mi Immortal saved Phoenix before?"

There will always be a greater person, there will always be a greater sky, there will always be something even more unexpected out of the unexpected.

"Yes," It was rare that Phoenix was so honest.

"If so, the Heavenly Emperor and I need to thank Jin Mi Immortal for saving Phoenix," The Heavenly Empress spoke of gratitude but her eyes remained cold.

"It was no strenuous effort," I said courteously. Phoenix narrowed his eyes at me as if he was displeased.

"How did Jin Mi Immortal pick... erm, meet Phoenix?" The Water God asked looking at me determinedly as if he wanted to find out something.

"Ah, at the Water Boundary (Shui Jing)," once I said it, I immediately regretted it, thinking of how the Flower Leaders are trying to capture me back. After revealing this at the palace, my route is completely exposed.

"The Water Boundary!" The Water God's voice deepened and he grabbed the edge of his sleeve tightly as if he was shaken as a whole. It was rare for such an indifferent god with no wants or desires to be so emotionally disturbed. It is not clear how good Night's father-in-law's relationship with the Flower Leaders is, hopefully, he will not betray me.

"Is Jin Mi Immortal the Flower Goddess?" The Heavenly Emperor moved forward, his expression intense.

This Heavenly Emperor is so unkind, with one question he has hit my sensitive spot - one, I was not a flower, two, I have not cultivated to become a god.

"No," I said after calming down and said reluctantly, "I am a fruit sprite."

"Fruit?" The Water God asked surprisedly.

I nodded, "Grape."

"If I may be blunt, how old is Jin Mi Immortal?" The Heavenly Emperor asked again and the Heavenly Empress' expression darkened.

I privately thought if there was the table used during a court inquiry, I had perfectly gone through a full inquiry. Since the Heavenly Emperor is ranked the biggest in the Heavenly Realms, naturally I had to carefully consider before I answered him. I always heard that one gains enlightenment around a thousand years, with this estimate, for me to become a grape sprite should have taken over a thousand years, with this calculation, I seriously replied, "At least five thousand years."

Hearing this, the Heavenly Emperor, the Heavenly Empress, the Water God, all three of their expressions completely changed. 

It's so tiring to speak while standing up, " The Moon God moved forward and whispered towards the Heavenly Emperor and Heavenly Empress, "Sister-in-law's heart in finding a wife for Phoenix, I can also understand, but this lady has a thin skin, one must speak carefully, understand?"

Not caring about the strange looks on the Heavenly Emperor and Heavenly Empress, the Moon God happily pulled me towards the seat between Phoenix and Night to sit.

Since I can finally sit down again, I was happy and smiled as I sat comfortably, I smiled at Phoenix, then smiled at Night.

After this round of smiles, I felt that the surrounding was not right, minus the concerned and suspicious glances from the Heavenly Emperor, Heavenly Empress and Water God, all the male gods were looking at me as if they were intoxicated, while the female gods were looking at me angrily until I felt that I had thorns all over my body. Phoenix coldly gave a huff and waved his sleeve, while Night placed his teacup on the table.

"May all the gods are not too polite, today I have prepared wine and dishes, may everyone fully enjoy them," The Heavenly Empress said pleasantly and broke the strange atmosphere in the palace.

Someone graciously lifted up a wine cup to the Heavenly Empress, "The bird tribe wishes the Heavenly Empress a long and prosperous life!" All the bird gods raised their cups towards the Heavenly Empress. The peacock goddess waved her hands and two brilliant five-colored birds flew from outside the palace and flew one round around the palace peak - all the wooden birds from the carvings immediately came to life, and danced with the five-colored birds. In one moment, the palace hall was filled with vigor and life. The five-colored birds then stretched their wings and flew towards the front of the Heavenly Emperor and Heavenly Empress, something fell from their beaks, it was a couplet.

The peacock goddess elegantly read out the couplet.*

"Good, good, good. Truly a filial girl!" The Heavenly Empress nodded her head and was extremely satisfied. She turned to the Heavenly Emperor and said, "No wonder in the mortal world, they all say daughters are close to the heart, I think this is very true. If Phoenix is half of Sui He, I will be content."

The Heavenly Emperor nodded his head in agreement, but his heart did not seem to be in it.

The Heavenly Empress turned again to the peacock goddess and said, "Sui He, you must come to the Heavenly Realms more often, we were after all once from the same tribe."

The peacock goddess closed her hands obediently in a gesture to indicate "yes".

"You must not have seen Phoenix in a while," The Heavenly Empress looked at where the peacock goddess was sitting, "We are one family but you sit so far, it seems too distant, why don't you sit next to Phoenix? It will be more convenient for me to talk to you as well."

"Yes," The peacock goddess drank the wine she used to praise the Heavenly Empress, and thereafter elegantly sat next to Phoenix. I admired her from behind Phoenix's head and thought, not bad.

After all these to-ing and fro-ing, my stomach was hungry, and so I turned all my attention to the food in front of me.

The peacock goddess was true to the Heavenly Empress' wishes and turned to speak to Phoenix in a low voice, Phoenix would also reply to her every few sentences.

"Your Majesty, look at Phoenix and Sui He sitting over there, don't they look like the people in the painting in my room? The summer rain falling down, a loving couple under the umbrella. I still remember the name of the painting, it's called "Zhu Lian He Bi (Excellent Combination)**". I was eating happily but hearing this from the Heavenly Empress, I slowly stopped.

Peacock Goddess's face reddened and she said coquettishly, "Auntie is teasing Sui He."

Phoenix furrowed his brow, his sharp nose bridge scrunched up a little to show wrinkles.

Zhu Lian He Bi? This sounds familiar, I remembered that in the books the Moon God passed me there was a painting called "Zhu Lian He Bi".

Seeing the peacock goddess' face so red and full of blushing beauty, unless... I turned and asked, "Ah, so the peacock goddess and his Phoenix majesty has mutually cultivated?"

Phoenix choked, Night paused, Water God surprised, Heavenly Emperor shocked, Heavenly Empress angered, Peacock goddess hurt, the Moon God smiled.

The entire hall was silent.

From my sixth sense, .... this was a bad omen.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.7M 69.2K 29
After a disastrous first season in London, Rose Wilde finds herself torn between two men who love her -- but who both hide secrets that could ruin he...