Elysian [Book 1]

By Evangeline_91

Hadley LaMontagne, a crime scene investigator from New Orleans is the smartest in her class, with an IQ of 16... More

CAST
PLAYLIST+DISCLAIMER
TWO
THREE
FOUR
five
six
seven
eight
nine
ten
eleven
twelve
thirteen
fourteen
fifteen
sixteen
seventeen
eighteen
nineteen
twenty
twenty-one
twenty-two
twenty-three
cast
twenty-four
twenty-five
twenty-six
twenty-seven
twenty-eight
twenty-nine
thirty
thirty-one
thirty-two
a/n
thirty-three
thirty-four
thirty-five
thirty-six
thirty-seven
thirty-eight
thirty-nine
forty
forty-one
forty-two
forty-three
forty-four
the end

ONE

18.8K 368 84
By Evangeline_91

one; hadley lamontagne

NEW ORLEANS, LOUISANNA.

Stepping on the black pavement, Hadley LaMontagne began walking the streets of New Orleans, memories of the last 18 months began flooding through her mind as she looked around seeing debris and disaster flooding the street.  She shook her head, feeling nauseous and looked down at the stack of papers she had in my hand getting ready for the case her brother had assigned her to examine.

 Her older brother William, or Billy, as people knew him, was a detective. Who had given her a case which that she needed to get evidence from. A case that she was already late to once again. Hadley walked as fast as she could to the scene, her heels hitting the pavement, the loud noise telling everyone she was on her way.

 Hearing the chatter from around the corner, she knew she was almost there. She turned the sharp left and saw the police officers, in front of the yellow crime tape, that she knew extremely well. Her leather messenger bag, was slung across her small body, and with every step she took it moved hitting my hip with a soft thud. 

Hadley looked at Officer Chalamet and he gave her a disapproving look, and pulled the tape upwards, letting me go through. She clenched her jaw, stopping  herself from making a snarky remark  and walked under, seeing Billy talking to three new faces.

"You decided to show, after all." She heard the heavily accented voice say, and she saw Billy who had his arms crossed in front of his chest. Our accents were a bit different. His hard Yat accent was more rough, coarse. While hers was soft, barley noticeable. 

She stopped walking and looked up at him. "Shut it, Billy. I'm here now, aren't I?" She asked, with a disgusting look on her face and he shook his head, and handed her the black gloves that investigators normally wore.

"Sorry 'bout that. This is Hadley LaMontagne, CSI." He said, and she looked at the three agents who were standing in front of her. She slipped on the black gloves and the black man smiled at her.

"Agent Jareau, Agent Gideon and Agent Morgan. With the BAU in Quantico." Billy said and she smiled at all of them, a genuine smile too.

"How old are you?" Agent Jareau asked eyeing her, and I pulled off my messenger bag, setting it down on the floor lightly.

 "Twenty-one." Was all she said and Billy spoke to the agents, looking at all of them.

"She's one of the best damn Crime Scene Investigators we got. " He said and she rolled her eyes at his over exaggeration. She was the only crime scene investigator they had, well the only one who did their job anyways.

Hadley looked down at our crime scene or what was missing of one. The pools of blood seemed to mock her, saying ha, ha, you just missed where we came from hope you can figure it out just by staring.

" Where's the body? This doesn't help me at all." She said, looking up at Billy and he looked down at her. 

"They took it." He said as it was the most obvious thing in the world." You sure you ain't getting anything from the scene?" He asked and Hadley shrugged, as if he wasn't actually being serious.

"There isn't a body here. I said I didn't want it moved." She said and he shook his head, glaring at the young girl.

"You were thirty minutes late, Hadley. We weren't gonna keep it here." He said and she rolled her eyes and looked at the blood on the floor.

He was right, leaving the body here was more dangerous than moving it. Lots of things could have happened. Contamination was the biggest thing that most investigators worried about, especially when it was just laying the street of the dirtiest city in the world.

She stood up, ripping off her black gloves, and shoved them at Billy's chest angrily,  walking away from the crime scene to go look at the body.

***

Walking inside the morgue,  two unfamiliar voices could be heard and when she turned the corner she got a better look at the black haired female and someone who young enough to be a teenager, but who seemed wise enough to be a doctor.

"You can still smell the alcohol on him." She heard the female say and she used this as her opportunity to speak, a small smile on her face

"Well, this is New Orleans after all." She said, making myself noticeable and three heads turned towards her, including Reno, the Medical Examiners. They were besties of course.

"LaMontagne." Reno said and she gave him my best fake smile. 

"This is Hadley LaMontagne. Her brother is the lead detective on this case. She's CSI." Reno said and the male and female looked at her. 

"I'm Agent Prentiss." She said and she nodded, and looked at the man. 

"Dr. Spencer Reid." He said and she nodded, looking at how young he was. Reno gave her some gloves and she quickly put them on and pulled out her still camera, taking still pictures of the body. 

"The victim has no defense wounds." Dr. Reid said and she nodded, putting away her camera from my face and looked at the body. 

"It's most likely a blitz-attack. There's no hesitation marks, or rapid thrusts. The cuts are procedural." She said examining it and Reno and Agent Prentiss looked at her.

"So you think he might have some medical training?" Prentiss asked and she shrugged glancing at her as if she couldn't look at the body and tell herself.

"It's a possibility." She said softly and she looked over at Reno.

"Anybody come to claim the body?" Hadley asked and he shook his head. "Poor bastard is going to be collecting dust in storage." He said and she shook her head looking down at the dead body, a sadness feeling washing over her.

Billy, JJ, Derek Morgan, and Jason Gideon walked into Billy's fathers house, which had leaves and branches littering the place. After Katrina, New Orleans was a disaster, everything about city on the Mississippi River was destroyed, including people's faith.

"There's no doubt he's still working from the grave." Billy said, looking at the word 'Jones' carved into the house, of his father. If Hadley had known they were at this house, she'd have a tantrum, no one was to ever talk about William Montagne Senior in her presence.

" 'Jones' Does that name mean anything to you?" Derek asked and Billy shook his head. 

"No. I ran it through the database against every offender in New Orleans." He said looking at them. "And you can imagine how many hits I got. But nothing came up in connections of this case." William said and Gideon looked over at him.

"What about your sister? Was she involved with this case?" He asked the older brother of the girl and he shook his head.

"No, she looked at the bodies, but besides that, she's been in school to get her PhD." He said and Jennifer raised her eyebrows in shock

Everyone looked around the house and William Jr. sighed. 

"Learned how to play the drums in this house. Grew up with two dogs and my baby sister. All it's gonna be now is the word 'Jones' carved into the wall." He said angrily and Derek looked at a picture on the ground, that had a picture of Hadley and their father sitting with smiles on their faces. Everything about Hadley's smile seemed fake and unreal.

"How did Hadley take your father's death?" He asked  the brown haired detective and he sighed, bringing a hand across his face and shook his head,

"Not good. When he died, she blamed herself. They had gotten to an argument, about what? I have no clue. Ever since then, she's been locked up in her office back at the station, or in the shooting range." He said and Derek give him a look of sympathy.

The banging at Hadley's car window woke her up with a  jolt up. The sound scaring her enough to hit her head on the steering wheel. The car honked, making my eyes go wide and she looked at her window and saw Agent Morgan. She scratched the back of her head and rolled down her window.

 "Agent Morgan, what are you doing here?" She asked almost nervously and he looked down concerned for the young girl.

"I saw you sleeping in your car, are you okay?" He asked and she laughed nodding her head at his expression

 "Narcolepsy." She said and he tilted his head and laughed, embarrassed. She looked at the clock and it reading six fifty-five. She had been asleep for almost thirty minutes. She turned her head to look at all of the files spread crossed the passenger seat of her and she breathed out knowing that if it was Will instead of Agent Morgan, my ass would have been grass.

"It's okay, you didn't know." She said reassuring him and he nodded and she looked down in her lap and shoved the file on the floor and got out the car. 

She walked next to Agent Morgan as the two of them entered the station. 

"So how long did you know about your Narcolepsy?" He asked, trying to make small talk and she shrugged, not knowing how to answer that. Especially when everyone here never asked questions about it, they just knew if Hadley was late she was sleeping.

"Since I was thirteen. I started falling asleep in school and got in trouble, then William took me to go get checked out and I had Narcolepsy." She said and Derek's eyebrows raised slightly at the use of her father's first name. Whatever had happened between them must have been bad enough for her to make a statement like that with disgust.

"Must've been hard. LaMontagne mentioned you were in school." He said and she shrugged, nonchalantly

 "Yep. In my last couple of weeks in Forensics, then I get my PhD." She said and he nodded, holding the door open for her and she smiled and walked into the station. 

Billy came out from the small office Hadley had called home and looked at his only sibling with a concerned expression. "Where the hell you've been? I was worried." He said and she walked to my office, that was given to her by her father when she had started out as a crime scene investigator intern, knowing she'd always be close with him.

"I had an episode. I'm fine." Was all she said, and he scoffed and Hadley grabbed a water bottle from her small fridge and she grabbed the file of the murders and walked out to the table where everyone was at. 

"Maybe take your pills next time." He said and she laughed, a wicked laugh. If only it was that easy.

"I don't need you scolding me like some kid, William. You aren't my father. He died, remember?" she said, causing the entire police station to hold their breath at the mention of their lead detective Billy Senior.

 Billy stopped in his tracks and looked up at the other agents, who wore looks of sympathy on their faces. She blinked and then threw the file on the table and she looked at the agents and shook her head, walking out of the small area and into her small office, wanting to be left alone.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

71.6K 1K 18
Doctor Reid is the mentor for new agent y/l/n, quickly she feels as if he is trying to one up her and she doesn't like him, but what happens when tha...
11.9K 173 14
A collection of one shots surrounding our favourite Boy Genius Dr. Spencer Reid. These stories are ready for you to begin new romances and adventure...
3.8K 39 20
Alyssa Mercer is sixteen and a genius. Spencer Reid is nineteen and a genius. When Alyssa comes into the BAU, Spencer is not glad at all. He is slo...
982K 20.8K 44
"He tends to ramble a lot," she says leaning in closer. "I don't mind it," I reply. "Actually, I think it's kind of cute." Jaella Fox, an FBI agent w...