Melody's Crush

Oleh AloraDillon

Aren't one sided crushes fun? NOT! 18 year old Melody Jenkins has spent the last 3 years of high school crush... Lebih Banyak

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Final Chapter

Chapter 4

4K 163 28
Oleh AloraDillon

Friday arrived too fast. The two days before, not once did Jake offer to drive me to school and he only showed up Thursday at my window. He acted like nothing ever happened. Like seeing my half naked body had no effect on him, whatsoever. He was back to his old teasing self which had my blood boiling.

Obviously, he was unaffected by my stripping in the closet incident and that slapped my ego a little. The whole time I thought I had embarrassed him as much as I was embarrassed. But, it was just me dancing alone in that imaginative corner.

Idiot!

So he wasn't showing up at my window, he wasn't driving to school with me and he wasn't texting.

That only meant one thing.

He had to be pursuing someone.

What hurt worst was that he normally asked me for my opinion before he went on the prowl. Why not this time? What made this girl so special?

Sheesh. One sided crushes really sucked.

The morning classes passed by in a flash it seemed. My palms started sweating the moment my foot crossed the classroom threshold to health.

The bell rang signaling for everyone to take their seats, but there wasn't a person in the room settled. We all were on edge for the pairing off of husband and wife. All the guys were practically squirming in their seats knowing they would have to move in with their 'wives' for the next four nights. The following Tuesday, the gals had to move in with their 'husbands.'

Mr. Lloyd rose from his seat carrying a black top hat that looked like a prop swiped from drama club. Shaking it around, all eyes were glued to it as if we expected him to pull out a rabbit or a dove... or something at least magical.

Alas, there was nothing magical about a bunch of girls' names written on tiny pieces of cut up printing paper.

Not holding back or trying to alleviate our nerves, Mr. Lloyd signaled for Jason Anderson, the first of twelve guys, to stand up and head to the pairing hat.

Ah... this was going alphabetically.

That meant Jake would pair off somewhere in the middle.

Although my nerves were on edge, I wasn't worried. Or at least I kept telling myself that. Seeing Jake chatting with Mr. Lloyd before class put my mind somewhat at ease.

Thursday, I promised Jake that I would take care of the baby for the first four nights in my room and he could take care of the baby the remainder three nights at his house with neither of us having to worry about the awkwardness of staying in the same house.

It was a win-win.

But, he insisted that we would live together as it was important for the grade. That had my heart skipping every other beat for the rest of the day and it was still skipping now.

Jason reached into the hat pulling out the first name. Everyone was holding their breath. Unfolding the little piece of paper, he slowly peeled open his eyes. Smiling, he called out Janette Shipley. Everyone clapped as Mr. Lloyd told Jason to go sit over next to Janette to which both seemed pleased to be paired together.

Looking at them next to one another, the two looked cute and I was sure they would make an even cuter baby.

My gag reflexes tripped unexpectedly. 

The next six were paired and neither Tricia's nor my name had been called. It was Jake's turn to draw from the hat causing the rest of the girls to sit on the edge of their seats. Even though I knew it wouldn't matter who he drew, I still held my breath in anticipation.

He reached his long fingers into the hat and withdrew his choice. Unfolding it, his eyes glanced over the name. As he smiled that player smile I was all too familiar with, right away I knew it wasn't me.

"Tricia Scott!" he beamed. The rest of the guys were deflated. Jake sauntered over to where Tricia was sitting to which some guys gave him a high five as he passed while others cursed him for having all the luck.

Tricia's face slid into a smug expression as she eyed all the disappointed girls in the room, including me. My nose wrinkled as the desire to slap the smile off her face itched at my palm. I wondered if she would be smiling so much after she learned of Jake's request for a 'wife swap.'

Ha!

Finally, it came down to the last two and I still had not been picked. Brett Thomas was next to draw which would leave Kyle with the unpicked girl. Amy Cooper was one of Tricia's cronies and Brett was one of Kyle's jock buddies. Neither guy was a prime choice for a husband in my book.

Reaching into the hat, Brett's lips mouthed a silent prayer. Rolling my eyes, I cradled my cheek in my left hand waiting for the drama to be over. Only peeking through one eye, he slowly unwrinkled the paper before jumping up yelling, "Yes! Yes! Yes! Whoo hoo!" Clapping Kyle on the back, he said in a sympathetic tone, "Sorry man."

Kyle's eyes closed as he let out a pissed off sigh. Everyone could tell he was not at all pleased with being paired with me.

Who was he kidding?

I wasn't too thrilled with the idea either. I mean, who in their right ever lovin' mind would want to marry that arrogant ass?

"Alright, alright. Settle down. Brett, go sit next to Amy. Kyle, come sit up here with Melody," Mr. Lloyd commanded but Kyle looked out the window without budging. Mr. Lloyd turned to me and asked nicely, "Melody, would you please go sit next to Kyle?"

Closing my eyes, I let out a long sigh. Defeated, I stood up and walked over to the desk next to his sitting down with my back facing him. It was then I noticed Jake looking at me with concern. Giving him a weak smile, I sent him a thumb-up to let him know I was counting on him.

"Alright everyone, it's time for me to deliver your babies." Everyone laughed at the intended pun except for me and Kyle, who still had his arms crossed over his chest staring out the window.

Kyle and I were last to be called for delivery. Reluctantly, I reached the teacher's desk where the fleshy little bundle was waiting.

"Kyle," Mr. Lloyd warned, "you can either come up here or head to the office. Your choice."

Ooooooooh the whole class sang in unison.

"Knock it off," Mr. Lloyd commanded. The class continued to snicker and I continued to stand at the front of the class getting more and more pissed off as every second ticked by.

Letting out a displeased sigh, Kyle grabbed the corner of his desk launching himself to the front of the class standing as far away from me as he could.

Wow, could he be any more obvious?

Mr. Lloyd handed me a key.

"Go ahead and place it in the baby's side." He pointed to the small opening and I did as I was instructed. "So, you know the drill. You need to place the key in here when the baby starts to cry. The central processor responds to the key. So... no key, no sanity."

I smiled. "Got it."

Turning, I eyed Kyle who was staring at me like he could bore a hole through my head if given the powers. My lids slit as I stared right back at him silently daring him to continue. The showdown came to a halt when Mr. Lloyd handed Kyle his key before pulling the baby out of my arms.

Going over the same spiel, the teacher walked the jock through the simple instructions to which I was wondering how much of it actually got through, if any at all.

Mr. Lloyd handed the baby back to me when Kyle refused to hold it. Grabbing the key, Kyle jabbed it into his pant pocket as he walked back to his desk.

Breathe, Melody. Breathe.

Mr. Lloyd looked at his watch and stated, "And your time starts now. Good luck everyone. Please be sure to read the manual and please, please be on your best behavior!" He specifically eyed Brett who laughed as he pulled Amy close to his side pretending to give her kisses on the cheek. Palming his face, she pushed him away as the whole class erupted in laughter.

After the bell rang, Kyle quickly jumped to his feet leaving the room and leaving me with the baby, diaper bag and a surprised expression. When the room was empty, I walked up to Mr. Lloyd's desk as he was already busy with organizing the last minute permission slips and other papers.

"Eh hem." I cleared my throat to get his attention. Turning, he looked up at me appearing a bit taken aback.

"Melody?"

"Hi. Um... I was wondering when I can change partners?" I asked anxiously, my pointer fingers twirling around each other. "With the whole timing thing, I figured now was better than later before the guys can leave school grounds. You know, before the weekend? And before Kyle makes it to my house or worse, messes up my grade?" Plastering a fake smile on my lips, I waited patiently for what I said to sink in.

However, he genuinely looked confused and that did nothing for my nerves.

"I am supposed to be partnered with Jake. I saw him talking to you before class. Didn't he talk to you before class? I'm sure I saw him talking to you before class." Panic was starting to addle my speech patterns and before I knew it, I was turning into a bumbling idiot.

His expression changed to that of clarity. Smiling, he said, "Oh, yes. He did."

Smiling for real now, I let out a sigh of relief.

"I told him no."

"What?" I squeaked.

He seemed quite surprised at my reaction.

"But, but... Mr. Lloyd." My hands were wringing around each other uncontrollably. "There is no way I am ever going to get along with Kyle. You saw how he just treated me." I was pleading with him. Even I could hear the paranoia in my voice. "I can't do this, Mr. Lloyd, I just can't. Not with Kyle! I want to be with Jake!"

My voice carried into the hall causing a few students to snicker as they walked pass the doorway. At that point, I didn't care.

Mr. Lloyd raised his hands telling me to keep my voice down. "Melody, every girl in here wants to be with Jake."

He had a point there.

"But not every girl was requested by Jake. This isn't fair!" I shrieked. Even as I said it, my ears filtered how ridiculous I sounded. For a moment, I turned into a spoiled kid who wasn't getting her candy.

Mental note. Never make fun of spoiled kids again. Just give them the candy!

"I'm sorry, Melody, but once the clock starts there is no disrupting the data." He gave an expression of pity. "I know you of all people can do this and actually, I think it would be good for both you and Kyle to work together."

For a split moment I felt like stomping my feet, but miraculously refrained.

Mr. Lloyd continued and by this point, I was only hearing wha wha wha wha wha wha.

"I already spoke with Kyle's coach and with his parents. If he doesn't show up at the baby mom... I mean... your house and participate, it will be an automatic fail for him and he will be removed from the team for the rest of the season. Trust me. He has every bit as much riding on this grade as you do. So, I'm sure he will give it his best effort. Don't you worry," he said a little too un-assuring as he patted my shoulder.

With heavy feet, I left the room feeling every nerve in my body begin to tremble.

Meltdown.

This was what it felt like to have a meltdown!

Reaching my locker, I noticed Jake leaning his shoulder against the metal door with his arms crossed, his chin dipped low. Sorry was all his expression was offering.

But I didn't want sorry. I wanted Jake. I wanted to have my wish come true.

Damn it, I wanted my candy!

The warning bell rang as I numbly turned the combination lock to numbers I couldn't even see. Lifting the handle, the contraption rebelled and I found myself deftly trying again. It took four more attempts before I was able to actually get the thing opened.

Jake stood silently next to me. No excuses, no 'don't worry, Melody. I'll fix this,' no nothing. Feeling his eyes on me, I turned to look up at him. Something in my expression must have caused him to reach out and pull me into his arms. His chest was warm and the scent coming off his clothes was nearly intoxicating.

It wasn't that I didn't want to be held, because heaven knows it was pure bliss. But disappointment clouded my reasoning. I mean, I was really disappointed to the point that being in Jake's arms was a letdown.

That was just frightening.

 Lifting my hands, they snaked their way under his elbows until finding the firmness of his pectorals. Giving him a subtle cue to let go, I gently pushed at him. My eyes widened at the abrupt tightening of his arms along with the sudden lack of oxygen.

I didn't want his pity. Not Jake's. And oxygen fed the brain which was a bit scrambled at this point. 

So, I squirmed and pushed until he finally released me.

It was odd the look on his face. Was he disappointed, too, that we weren't together?

Oh God, I really wanted to believe that.

I popped him in the chest with the back of my fingers. "Take care of it, huh?" I asked looking up into his now defeated expression. Naturally in Melody fashion, I commenced to teasing. "Now I am stuck with Mr. Superior Complex while you get to enjoy marital bliss with America's Next Top Model."

His mouth opened but I flipped my hand to wave him off like it was no big deal.

"Eh, just go on with your honeymoon already. I'll survive. In a week, I'll be divorced."

But inside, I was still trying to keep it together. Kyle Warner was the epitome of a stereotypical rich boy slash jock and frankly, I didn't know how I was going to get through one minute let alone one week with someone like him.     

"I can still talk to him," Jake said knowing it was a fruitless attempt on calming my nerves.

"It's a wasted battle. You know as well as I do that Mr. Lloyd isn't going to budge. But thanks for talking to him earlier anyway." Giving him a weak smile, I turned and pulled out my lunch.

"Go," I said before waving him off. "Hurry before rumors start spreading that you're cheating on your wife and I get the brunt end of it all."

It was pathetic, but he smiled as he flicked the tip of my nose. "You're the best."

I nodded. "I know."

Peeking around the metal door, I watched as he strolled off down the hall. Closing the door, I leaned against the metal locker, the back of my head gently bouncing off it making a clanking sound.

You're in for it now, Melody Jenkins. You are in for it now.

For the rest of the day, I had to carry the baby around in a front carrying harness apparatus. That along with a diaper bag, book bag and books I was in a foul mood come final period. I was solely responsible for changing its diaper, feeding, burping and trying to get it to coo.

Cooing was worth extra points, so of course I had to do it.

I was already exhausted and since Kyle didn't have any classes with me other than health, it was pretty obvious I was in this more or less as a single parent.

That thought just pissed me off.

Before the final bell rang, I scribbled down my address on a post-it note. Gathering up my stuff, I headed for the classroom door just as the bell rang. It was the first time in all my high school years to leave the classroom first.

With determination, I marched down the hall toward Kyle's locker. He was there nonchalantly laughing with his friends not even pretending to care about me or the baby. In fact, it was obvious we were the farthest thing from his mind.

Putting on my pissed off face, I pushed through the current of exiting students before finally reaching the jerk slamming my palm against his locker door. The half circle of his classmates looked at me as if to say I had lost my mind. And frankly, I would agree with them.

Turning my chin up, my eyes locked with Kyle's as he silently dared me to speak.

So, of course... I did.

"Be at my house by nine or I will lock your ass out and you can sleep on the frickin' lawn for all I care. But so help me God, if you don't show, I'll make sure you sit out for the rest of the season and won't lose one bit of sleep over it. Got it?"

A perfectly shaped eyebrow lifted.

Taking that as a yes, I gestured my head toward his locker door as I lifted my hand off the post-it note. "That's my address." I put a finger in his face. "I'm warning you. Don't be late!"

I looked at the rest of the guys surrounding him with all their jaws slackened, daring them to make a peep. It was the second time this had happened in a few weeks. I was beginning to like it.

Letting out an exasperated sigh, I turned and headed toward my locker.

Behind me, I could hear the fading comments like, "Crazy bitch," or "Man, I feel sorry for your ass," and my favorite, "Psycho much?"

They had no idea who they were messing with. I've kept quiet in my little corner happily for the past three years. Never have I given anyone a reason to give me trouble up until now. No way was I going to allow some jerk of a jock ruin my four point oh! I worked too hard to get the valedictorian award and I wasn't about to let this punk ass oversized meat-head ruin it for me.

Back against the locker, I waited until the halls became a ghost town before packing my book bag, diaper bag and headed out with baby in tote.

Lanjutkan Membaca

Kamu Akan Menyukai Ini

863 18 26
WARNING: MENTION OF MURDER, SEX, MATURE LANGUAGE, VIOLENCE, CRIME, CHEATING, TALK OF SELF HARM, UNDERAGE DRINKING AND DRUG ABUSE. TROPES: FRIENDS TO...
240K 9.5K 40
[COMPLETED] Elijah and Jess had been unbreakable since high school, so it comes as no surprise to anyone when the young couple decides to tie-the-kno...
169K 2.4K 21
Welcome to the life of teen fiction and teen romance be prepared to meet the mind of the younger generation... Well the extreme side anyways ;) Cool...
193K 6K 39
"When I first met you, you were a complete stranger. But through time, I thought I really started to get to know you. To know the way you react to th...