SINK OR SWIM, jj maybank

By jjmaybabe

in which a bad boy with a heart of gold finds himself a kook princess obx s1 jj maybank x oc More

c h a p t e r o n e
c h a p t e r t w o
c h a p t e r t h r e e
c h a p t e r f i v e
c h a p t e r s i x
c h a p t e r s e v e n
c h a p t e r e i g h t

c h a p t e r f o u r

4.9K 91 36
By jjmaybabe

"We don't know anything." Pope's frantic voice rang out as he stormed through the screen door of John B's porch. "We need to have total and complete amnesia."

Pope was practically shaking as he leaned against the door. John B was stood against the adjacent wall, while JJ sat in one of the chairs and Kie and Teddie shared the loveseat, Teddie's leg extended out with an ice pack resting on her ankle, courtesy of John B. "Pope's right." JJ said, making Teddie's eyebrows shoot up in surprise. JJ never agreed with Pope. "See? I agree with you sometimes. Deny, deny, deny."

"We can't keep that money." Teddie said, already knowing what was going through JJ's mind. "Or the gun."

"We need to give that money back to Lana Grubbs. It's bad karma if we don't." Kie said, Teddie nodding in agreement with her.

"Exactly."

"Okay, not of all us can afford unlimited data plans like you two." JJ said. Teddie's eyebrows narrowed at the boy. That was a low blow, even for him.

"JJ." She snapped. "That's besides the point. A man is dead, we can't keep it."

"Ya know," Pope said, "it'd be bad karma to be implicated in a felony too."

"We won't be implicated in a felony, Pope." JJ said, standing to move next to Pope. "You just gotta trust me, man. I gotchu."

"Don't trust him." Kie immediately told Pope.

"Yeah, no offense dude but you aren't exactly making me feel good about all this." Pope sighed. "We need to go dark."

JJ perked up, "If it means we keep the money, then I agree."

John B pushed himself up and walked over to JJ. "I don't agree." JJ groaned and rolled his eyes, making the girls chuckle. "No, no, no, just hear me out. This is Scooter Grubbs we're talking about, right? Same dude that's buying individual cigarettes and begging for change in the Save-A-Lot parking just to pay for gas." John B explained, looking around at the small group. "We're talking about a dirtbag marina rat who's never had more than $40 in his pocket. And now all of a sudden he's got a brand new Grady-White? Just sayin'."

The friends all sat in silence for a minute, letting John B's words sink in. He was onto something, Teddie had to admit. Scooter Grubs was bottom of the barrel poor. We're talking an actual dumpster diver. How does he end up with a Grady White? Especially in a place like the Outer Banks. And how did no one know about it? Everyone talks in the OBX, if Scooter Grubbs suddenly got himself that kind of boat, word would have spread. Yet no one knew until his body showed up. Teddie's brain was swirling with questions surrounding the mans death.

"As thrilling as this conversation has been, I'm gonna excuse myself and go inside." Kie said, interrupting the silence.

"I will definitely be joining you." Teddie said with a smile, knowing exactly what her best friend was going to be doing inside.

"I wanna fish." JJ said, Pope nodding in agreement. Kie and Teddie watched the boys make their way to the dock, where no doubt they'd continue the conversation of Scooter Grubbs. Kie flashed Teddie her joint with a giggle before holding her hand out and helping her up to limp into John B's room.

Teddie laid on her back on the ground, her legs resting on John B's bed while Kie sat next to her, her back against the foot of his bed while they passed the joint back and forth.

"So. How are you?" Kie asked awkwardly, keeping her head facing forward.

Teddie narrowed her eyes at the girl as she inhaled from the blunt. "Small talk, Kie? Really?"

Kie rolled her eyes, taking the joint from Teddie's outstretched hand. "No. I just mean...seeing Scooter's body freaked me out. I just didn't know how you were feeling after seeing it."

"Don't worry about me, Kie. It's a dead body. Fucked up? Yes. Something I can't handle? No." Maybe Teddie was lying, but what else is new.

"I'm pretty sure there's nothing you can't handle." Kie laughed, taking another hit before passing the blunt back to her friend. "But, if there ever is something that you don't want to handle, you can come to me. You know that, right?"

It was quiet for a moment as Teddie let Kie's words sink in. Teddie didn't show her emotions a lot, instead choosing to hide behind jokes and sarcasm. Kie knew that, so did the guys. But no one ever said anything. She always appreciated that in a way. But maybe, just maybe, she could let her guard down finally. "Yeah." Teddie finally said softly, looking up to meet her best friends caring eyes. "Yeah, I know. I love you, Keke." She said, making Kie laugh at her old childhood nickname.

"I love you too, Tee-tee." Keke and Tee-tee; the dynamic duo.

"So enough of me, what's going on with you and JB?" Teddie asked, giving her best friend a knowing smirk.

"I don't know what you're talking about." Kie denied, moving her head so it was facing away from her friend.

"Uh-huh, sure." Teddie laughed, taking a hit. "Just seems to me like ever since he told us about DCS being on his case you've been acting weird."

Kie was quiet for a minute as she took a couple hits. "It's not like some romantic thing." She finally said, looking straight ahead. "It's just, so much has been crazy in my life, ya know? My parents moving from the Cut to the F8, trying to fit in with the Kooks, my falling out with Sarah...I don't know, all of it has just been a lot. But through it all I had the Pogues. And you, of course. You were the only Kook who gave me a chance and I'll always be grateful that you did. I just, I don't know I'm happy now, ya know? And I'm honestly terrified that something is going to happen and we're all going to fall apart." Kie blinked back a couple tears as she kept her gaze locked straight ahead.

Teddie frowned as she watched her best friend open up. Kie was kind of like Teddie in the aspect that she didn't show her emotions a lot. "Can I ask you something?" Kie nodded silently, already having an idea of what Teddie was going to ask her.

"Why don't you tell them? What you told me- and Sarah?"

At the sound of their former friend, Kie shook her head. "That's exactly why. I just- I can't risk it."

Teddie's heart broke for her best friend. "Kie." She said gently, taking the girls hand in her own. "You know they wouldn't do anything like that. You know they love you, and nothing is going to change that."

Kie swallowed thickly as she nodded, but didn't say anything. The sound of the front door slamming broke the girls from their moment as they turned to see the boys trailing into John B's room- Kie's hand only gripped Teddie's harder. "There you guys are." Pope said as he jumped onto John B's bed. John B and JJ both sat across from the girls, JJ sitting closer to Teddie as he pulled the wad of cash from his pocket.

"For the record," Pope started as he reached and grabbed the money from JJ, "if that is a smugglin' ship, with illegal contraband inside, it probably belongs to someone else."

"Smuggling ship?" Kie echoed, her confused face matching Teddie's. Clearly the girls missed an interesting conversation.

"Minor details." JJ brushed off, ignoring Kie.

"With major consequences." Pope argued. "Whoever it does belong to could come looking for it. Taking it would be catastrophically stupid."

"Stupid things have positive outcomes all the time." JJ pointed out, grabbing the money back from Pope. "All we need to do is figure out how to get into the cargo hold of that boat. Until then, we'll just lay low. Act natural."

"And how do you propose we do that?" Pope asked.

It was silent for a moment, Kie and Teddie still trying to play catch up on the conversation. "Kegger?" John B asked, earning grins from the two girls. "Kegger."

••••••••••

The boneyard is a small beach in the cut. And if you ask the Pogues, it's the best spot to throw parties. Kook's typically throw house or yacht parties, while the Pogue's stick to the boneyard. Only downside of it being on the beach? Kooks and Tourons always show up. Sometimes it's nice, it's almost like a temporary peace treaty as everyone gets together and parties- no drama. But other times, it ends in a fight.

Kie and Teddie skipped ahead of the boys, still hand in hand, as they carried the solo-cups while the boys carried the keg onto the beach. The affects of the marijuana the girls smoked earlier were still evident in their system as they giggled at each other.

"You ladies gonna help?" Pope asked, already knowing the answer. Kie pretended to think while Teddie snuck away from her and moved towards JJ who was getting the stereo set up.

"Hey there, handsome." She grinned, making the blond haired boy jump slightly.

A smirk formed on his face when he turned around and saw it was Teddie. "Well hello, princess." He greeted, resting his arm across her shoulder. "What can I do for you?"

"Dance." She said simply, moving so she could take his hands in her own and dance to the beat of whatever pop-alternative song was playing.

"How's your ankle?" JJ asked with an amused grin as Teddie attempted to dance with a slight limp. She only offered an innocent shrug and grin, making JJ laugh while they continued to dance. Teddie's grin never left her face, and JJ's smile was even bigger than the girl's as he lifted their hands and spun her in a circle. The butterflies in Teddie's stomach were definitely awake as JJ's laughter filled her ears while they spun and danced to the music.

The sun was just beginning to set as more and more bodies filled the beach. JJ stopped dancing to help John B man the keg while Kooks and Tourons lined up to get a red cup. Teddie split her time between dancing with Kie and Pope while they drank -well, Kie and Teddie drank- and sitting with John B and JJ at the keg.

By the time it was dark the beach was full and Teddie was more than tipsy. Her and JJ were back to dancing with each other, just not quite as graceful as earlier since they both had more than enough alcohol in their system. Teddie hadn't even noticed the presence of her brother and his girlfriend until JJ was offering Sarah a drink he had originally got for John B, just to be an ass. "Sarah, Sarah, can I interest you in a Milwaukee beverage, milady?" He asked, bending down and offering the drink out like he was a servant.

"No thanks." Sarah said politely, "We were just leaving." For a second Teddie almost felt bad for acting like a bitch towards her. She was just loyal to Kie. But at the end of the day Sarah had hurt her best friend, and that would never sit well with Teddie.

"What? Not fancy enough for you? Come on, it's just one drink." JJ pushed, smiling innocently.

"No, it's really okay." She denied again, right before Topper stepped in.

"Here, you know what I'll take it man." Topper said, removing his arm from around Sarah while JJ put his arm around Teddie.

"Ah, but I didn't ask you. Maybe if you said please." JJ mocked.

"Oh, you want me to say please? Okay." Topper immediately smacked the cup in JJ's hand, sending beer all over his sister.

"Topper, what the fuck!" Teddie yelled angrily, taking a step back as the cold liquid set into her clothes. "You are such a dick."

"Shut the fuck up, Teddie." Topper snapped, taking a step towards the two as he pointed in his sisters direction.

"Do not fucking talk to her like that." JJ snapped, stepping in between the brother and sister angrily.

"Woah woah woah, lets all calm down." John B's voice rang out as he stepped in as well, trying to diffuse the situation.

"JJ, it's fine. Let's go." Teddie said, wrapping her small hand around his arm.

"No, you're not going anywhere." Topper argued, grabbing Teddie's arm with more strength than she thought he had.

"Fuck off, Top." She snapped, trying to pull her arm out of his grasp while Sarah yelled at her boyfriend to go and JJ yelled at him to let go.

"You aren't going anywhere with them, you're making yourself look like a slut, Teddie." Teddie's eyes widened at her brothers harsh words, not used to hearing him talk to her like that.

Teddie's arm was ripped from Topper's grasp as they both fell to the ground. JJ's hand shot out and punched Topper so hard no one was expecting it, including Topper who hit the ground and took his sister with him. Topper shot up pretty quick and ran at JJ, but the diffuser John B stood between them, shoving JJ back by the chest. "Chill, chill! Let it go." John B told them both. "Teddie, you okay?" He called to the girl. Sarah had already run over and helped her former friend up, asking her herself if she was okay.

"Peachy." Teddie grumbled to John B and offered Sarah - who looked insanely concerned and uncomfortable - a small smile. "JJ, I'm good. Let's go."

Topper looked at Teddie with an angry expression, "Whatever. Just go with your dirty fucking Pogues!" He yelled. This time it was John B who spun and tackled Topper to the ground, throwing the first punch.

"Stop!" Teddie yelled with an eye roll, moving to break up her idiotic best friend and even more idiotic brother.

"Princess." JJ's voice warned as his hand wrapped around her bicep. "Don't."

Teddie sighed but complied as JJ put an arm around her and rubbed the spot on her arm that Topper had grabbed, a bruise already forming. Watching the guys fight and go at it wasn't exactly comfortable for Teddie, but it also wasn't necessarily anything new. "John B, don't make me drown you like your old man." Topper said as he shoved John B into the water.

"Fuck off, Top!" Teddie screamed, shocked that he'd cross that line. Normally he had at least a little respect.

Teddie eyes scanned the beach for a second, as John B went after Topper again, before they landed on Rafe's. He was already staring at the girl, a smirk forming on his lips as their eyes met, and somehow she knew it was because of him that her brother's attitude has recently turned from bad to worse.

"Stop! You're killing him!" Teddie heard Kie scream, drawing the girls attention back to the fight only to see Topper holding John B's head under the water.

"Topper, stop!" Teddie screamed, racing away from JJ and his grasp and shoving her brother off of her best friend.

"Get the fuck out of my way, Teddie." He yelled, shoving her shoulders back.

Teddie kept her balance and shoved him right back. "No! You're being a psycho right now, you're going to fucking kill him!" Teddie kept shoving him back as she screamed at him.

"Back off!" He screamed, shoving her again. But this time Teddie lost her balance.

Her head hit the wet sand; not too hard, but certainly not pleasant either. Thin arms immediately were wrapped around her shoulders as Kie kneeled next to the fallen girl, Pope right behind her.

Teddie heard the clicking of the safety of the gun before she saw it. But then she did. JJ had that dammed gun pressed to the back of Topper's head. Topper's eyes immediately filled with fear and something else the girl couldn't quite read. But she know it had to do with their dad. "JJ." Teddie said, her voice coming out strained and dry.

Teddie's ears were ringing as Kie cooed in her ear, trying to turn her friend away from what was happening. Topper finally snapped out of his trance and tried calming JJ down. But something about JJ? You really couldn't calm him down. Not once you've fucked with his friends.

"JJ, this is not laying low." Pope said, visibly freaking out.

"Teddie, would you check your psycho boyfriend please?" She heard Sarah snap. Teddie almost didn't register that she had referred to JJ as her boyfriend. She didn't hate the sound of it, though.

"JJ, please put the gun down." She begged. JJ's eyes never met hers and she knew he was avoiding looking her way. JJ finally stepped away from Topper before looking around at the other party-goers terrified faces.

The sound of gun fire filling the air was enough to send Teddie into a panic attack. It wasn't the hyperventilate, shake, and cry type of panic attack. It was more so the black out kind. Where your ears are ringing and you can't hear anything around you. You're vision becomes so blurred you can't focus on the faces right in front of you. Your mind goes blank, not being able to register anything. It's like you passed out, but your awake the whole time.

"Teddie!" Her eyes snapped up to meet JJ's blue eyes, filled with concern and regret. "Lets get you home, princess." He said softly, pulling the girl to her feet as he helped her walk to the van while Pope and Kie -but mostly Pope- dragged John B's practically unconscious body behind them.

Kie and Teddie got dropped off at Kie's house, albeit reluctantly from JJ. Teddie knew he felt bad, and she truly wasn't upset with him. She couldn't be if she tried. But he really scared her tonight, and somehow that's almost worse.

Teddie already had clothes in Kie's dresser from countless other sleepovers, so the girls both changed in silence before crawling into bed. It wasn't until Kie turned the light off that Teddie let her tears pour out. And when she did she felt Kie softly roll over and hold her trembling body closer to hers until they both finally fell asleep.

everyone needs a
best friend like
kie in their life 💓
i love writing the
friendship between these
two so much!!

thank you all
so so much for
reading my story,
for voting, commenting,
adding to your lists,
and all the support!
it genuinely means so much
to me. y'all really don't know
how excited i get when
i see a notification showing
support for my work

tysm!!! 💓

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

932K 35.3K 83
๐—Ÿ๐—ผ๐˜ƒ๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ด ๐—ต๐—ฒ๐—ฟ ๐˜„๐—ฎ๐˜€ ๐—น๐—ถ๐—ธ๐—ฒ ๐—ฝ๐—น๐—ฎ๐˜†๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ด ๐˜„๐—ถ๐˜๐—ต ๐—ณ๐—ถ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ, ๐—น๐˜‚๐—ฐ๐—ธ๐—ถ๐—น๐˜† ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ต๐—ฒ๐—ฟ, ๐—”๐—ป๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ๐˜€ ๐—น๐—ผ๐˜ƒ๐—ฒ ๐—ฝ๐—น๐—ฎ๐˜†๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ด ๐˜„๐—ถ๐˜๐—ต ๏ฟฝ...
124K 3.4K 73
Stray Kids is on tour! Ella wins a prize at the concert that ends up turning her entire life upside down. She uncovers the dark secrets to K-Pop and...
310K 10.1K 52
There's no way you're hitting on me right now. โ” Lando Norris x Fem!OC ยฉ KissLeclerc , April 2024 Started: April 8, 2024 Completed: May 10, 2...
1M 54.1K 35
It's the 2nd season of " My Heaven's Flower " The most thrilling love triangle story in which Mohammad Abdullah ( Jeon Jungkook's ) daughter Mishel...