Chasing Charming ✔️

By bearjordan

Complete! "You know I really like you, right?" He was definitely drunk. "You do?" I asked. My voice was s... More

1 - It's Not Greenview
2 - I Wonder Who He Is?
3 - Bright Red Slushie
4 - Where Are Your Shoes?
5 - Start With One Person
6 - Strawberry Milkshake
7 - Why Don't You Join Us?
8 - That Most Important Thing
9 - Fix This
10 - People Move On
11 - My House?
12 - Hands Off
13 - Nothing To Apologize For
14 - You Couldn't Afford Me
15 - Like A Date
16 - I'm Fine
17 - You Stink, Eli
18 - I Wanted To
20 - Stand Up For Yourself
21 - Throw A Fit
22 - A Success
23 - Good Luck
24 - I Should Have Forgiven You
25 - Masterpieces
26 - Halloween Candy
27 - Butterflies
28 - One Shoe

19 - Hot Objects

895 36 1
By bearjordan

Taylor ended up going home with Owen that night. They did not come to school on Thursday and Taylor texted me that they were taking the day off together. I am glad that they were working this out; they were too close for this to break them.

On Friday, Taylor and Jones were back to acting shy and coy around each other at lunch. Owen had apologized to Jones, and even though they didn't bring up the reason why Owen had gotten so upset, everyone seemed to know. Luckily it looked like friendships were more durable than this tiff because, by Saturday, everything seemed normal.

I had no idea where Taylor and Jone's relationship stood at this point, and when I asked Taylor about it, she said they were going to start slow. I guess that meant taking a step back from that makeout session I walked away from on Wednesday.

---

It was raining on Saturday, which didn't happen much in New Mexico, and it usually forced everyone indoors. People here were not adapted to running around in the rain.

Somehow, Eli, Taylor and Owen ended up at my house for the day. Eli brought over sandwiches that his dad, who I had yet to meet, made us for lunch, and Owen and Taylor brought some snacks. I supplied the board games.

We watched a bad made-for-TV movie that was playing, and Taylor and I cuddled up on the couch, forcing the boys to sit in the two loveseats, much to Eli's disappointment. He did try to join us on the couch, and we ended up kicking him off.

Taylor liked the idea of no boys allowed.

"Boys seem to be the route of all my issues," she said, smirking.

Owen laughed, "if it weren't for you being a thorn in my side, I could say the same thing."

I grinned, I am glad they seemed to be back to normal.

Around dinner time, Eli went back home, and the twins and I ordered dinner from the 66 Diner.

---

"Are you excited about tonight?" Owen asked smirking. I understood that he was meaning, but I was extremely nervous about going to another party. So I just smiled slightly and shrugged and hoped we would move onto another topic.

"Well, I am excited, but I think we need to get a little more party up in here!" Taylor squealed, grabbing her phone. I cringed at her smile, what was this going to be?

ABBA music blasted throughout the house, shaking the walls. My body started to loosen as the beat pulsed through my body.

Taylor giggled, grabbing my hands and pulling me out of the chair I had perched on. I stumbled forward, using her body to stabilize myself, but I barely got the chance because my goofy friend started swinging me throughout the kitchen. I was surprised by how much better a carefree moment like this would make me feel.

Her brother joined us after a few moments after some pestering from Taylor.

The dancing only lasted a few songs because it was getting close to the time we needed to leave, and we still had not gotten ready.

Tonight was going to be different. I was going to stop worrying so much, and I was going to kiss Eli. I am pretty sure things would be a lot easier if I made the first move. I had made such a big deal about going slow that I am not sure he would ever think I was ready.

My stomach twisted at the thought. There was so much I wanted to do, but the build-up of years of imagining what it would be like, left me a mess.

"Come on! I want to look hot tonight!" I said, pulling Taylor upstairs, who was already trying to get into the alcohol. "You have to help me! You can't get drunk yet!"

Taylor grunted and let me drag her up the stairs to my room.

"You're lucky I love you," Taylor groaned, dropping on my bed.

My heart swelled at her minor confession. I jumped on the bed with her, causing us both to collapse in a fit of giggles. I was so lucky to have found her.

I put so much importance on my relationship with Eli. However, I also found the twins and Jones and Kyle - and even Brodie, who messaged me every day.

I thought back to my old friendships with people in Arizona, and although I still missed them, I didn't feel as sad anymore thinking about how they were. It was Saturday night, so they were probably going to the Drive-In, or maybe someone was throwing a party by the swimming hole. Sure, I would have loved to be there with them, but would I give up the friendships I made to go back?

I am not sure.

I sat up on my bed and smiled down at Taylor, who had taken out her phone to text Jones.

I think some of these friendships were because I had a crush on blue eyes. It was a bit funny. But it was very me.

I shook my head, thinking of the task at hand. I wanted to look hot tonight.

I turned on my hair curler, leaving it to sit on the counter and found my way into the closet where Owen was looking through my clothes.

"So which of these are for sale?" He asked curiously.

"Eventually, almost everything," I said.

"I grabbed a set of baby blue shorts and a crop top that I had planned on wearing tonight from the top of one of my dressers. "I will sometimes wear things for a bit and then fix them up and sell them. Pictures of people doing things in them sometimes help the sales."

Owen scoffed, "Are you sure it's not just because people like the idea of your little booty in these shorts?" He said, grabbing the pair I was holding.

I quickly snatched it back from him. "No! I know who I am selling to; it is usually girls in high school! So even if it is, it is at least not creepy. It just helps people with ideas of how or where they could wear the outfits."

He smiled in understanding. "But I only put a few outfits up at a time because I don't have the time to fix everything up all at once, and I also don't have time to run a full store."

"School gets in the way of everything, doesn't it."

I smirked, "sometimes."

"I can't wait to get out of this town and play soccer somewhere big," Owen said, sitting in a spinning chair I had near one of my mirrors.

"I hope I'll be flying out to see you live your dreams in some big city!" I smiled at him. I hoped he wouldn't mind me saying this. I hope he didn't want to cut everyone off once he made it big.

"Oh, I hope you'll be up there every weekend." He said, smirking at me.

"Any idea of where you'll be choosing?"

Owen scrunched his nose, looking tired of that question, and he shook his head. "I have to decide soon."

I nodded; I am not looking forward to making these choices next year even if my decisions were much less life-changing than what Owen had to make.

"Your hair curler is ready!" Taylor shouted from the bathroom. I walked over to where Taylor was already straightening the ends of her hair.

"Do you want me to do it?" She asked. I shook my head.

"But if you'll help with my makeup, that would be amazing."

She nodded. "As long as you let me have some fun with it."

I grabbed the curler of the counter and stared at the front of my hair.

Owen, who had followed me, was leaning against the door frame. "You two try so hard." He commented.

Taylor scoffed at him. "You don't try hard enough."

Owen scoffed. "I try WAY harder than the other boys."

Taylor looked him up and down. "Is that saying much?"

We both giggled at her comment, and Owen had that look in his eye that said he was about to lunge at his sister.

"HEY!" I said, stopping him. "hot objects!"

After finishing my hair and Taylor finishing our make up Taylor and I were standing in front of my full person mirror in my bedroom.

I was wearing the matching set as well as platform sandals that I would 100% be taking off to dance.

"Do you like matching sets so much because you're bad at matching things?" Said Owen, teasing me. I shook my head and laughed.

"Damn, girl! You look so HOT! You are going to make Eli swoon," squealed Taylor.

I blushed, "shhh!" I said, glancing at Owen, who was laughing from the bed.

"Oh stop it, Betty, you're very obvious, if you don't think the whole school knows you're in love with him, you are on something." Owen chuckled.

My face went red. I have always been crap at hiding my feelings.

"Plus, we know that yall went on a date and that NOTHING happened. So I am assuming something is going to happen tonight?" Owen said, still smirking.

"Do you think the whole school knows?" I asked. I never MEANT to make my feelings that public.

"Owen, STOP! It's a good thing you wear your heart on your sleeve, Betty!" said Taylor. "It's how we knew that you wanted to be my friend!"

I had a feeling she had changed the subject because she did not want me to hear the answer, but I was interested in this new topic. I looked up at her. Taylor was tall, and she was not afraid to grow even taller by wearing ridiculous heels. "Really?"

"Yeah, you don't understand how many girls have wanted to be my friend JUST because they wanted to get close with the guys. You weren't like that at all! You made us all like you because you were so genuine right away!"

I grinned, "Omg, stop. I'm going to cry!"

"Figures," scoffed Owen.

Taylor and I both looked at each other before lunging on top of Owen and tickling him. It was effortless for him to toss us off, but we were all laughing at that point, any mushy feelings fading away.

Taylor stood up and smoothed her dress. It was short and coral, and she was wearing white strappy heels that I am assuming would also come off.

Taylor grinned at me, "so, should we start drinking?"

I nodded, and we opened the bag that Owen had brought with him. He was not going to be drinking tonight, but he was kind enough to supply us with a bag full of coolers. Taylor and I did plan to get a little drunk.

We both finished off our first cooler and were both on our second when my parents got home.

By that time, we had moved the party downstairs and were blasting ABBA again in the living room.

My parents had spent all day in the shop because it was set to open tomorrow morning! Which is part of the reason I was only going to get a little drunk. I had already said that I wanted to make their store a success, and I couldn't do that too hungover.

I was excited for them, and I had invited all of my new friends to come. Even some of the girls from my grade. I had said I would help set up a few fun photo areas, and maybe by inviting all these teens, they would post pictures and help drive sales. I doubted many of them would buy things, but even having people there would be beneficial for the business.

My mom and dad joined us in dancing around the living room, and then my mom talked to Owen about keeping us safe.

I am happy that my parents trusted me enough not to feel the need to stalk me or set up strict curfews; however, they did want me to be honest about where I was and what I was doing. As long as we all kept each other's trust, this formula would continue to work for us.

Taylor and I were both relaxed by the time we had gotten to the car. We were not drunk, but two coolers did something because we were giggling and dancing to the loud music that Owen was blasting. 

---

2077

"Alone at the party, that's where it started
That's where it usually ends
But I caught you looking, at me from the kitchen
Having a drink with a friend"
- Scouting For Girls

how was it? - Kayla 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.1M 24K 30
"I want to go back to my old ways." Ezra said in a monotone. It felt like he held no emotion. I stood dumbfounded not knowing what to do? "I tried yo...
16.4K 501 62
Alone. A simple word that has always held many meanings to Ella, and starting her senior year at a new high school, solitude had seemed the easiest w...
23.4K 739 31
(Warning! Cringey story I wrote when I was like 14!) He admitted to liking her, she did the same. Then they should be together right? Well that would...
1.5M 42.7K 54
We've all heard about 'the main character'. The type of person who lives through the most dramatic and improbable situations, and finds the kind of e...