The Art of Getting By | Poe D...

By findtheforce

"THIS BATTLE- THIS FIGHT AGAINST THE FIRST ORDER- IT'S ONE WE CAN'T LOSE." "I'M NOT GOING TO STAND FOR IT IF... More

the art of getting by
graphic gallery
epigraph
act one
the last jedi
one
two
three
four
five
six
seven
eight

nine

403 31 35
By findtheforce

09 | the mistakes we make

"I WILL NEVER, EVER, BECOME ANOTHER ONE OF YOUR PAWNS AGAIN."

SNOKE'S STAR DESTROYER-

"Get up."

The familiar voice of Kylo Ren jolted Kyra from her unpeaceful rest, making her look up at him with annoyance. "What, you want to have another round of torturing me? Because I gotta say, I would appreciate having a bit more warning than this."

"Luckily for you, there is no interrogation for a while. Snoke wants you in the throne room." Ren hardly grabbed Kyra's arm, wrenching her up from the place where she had been "resting" against in the small room where she was being kept prisoner. "I assume he wants to see what happened with the device and its success. And to see if our message bore any fruit."

Looking to the stormtroopers out front, the sith apprentice tilted his head backwards, indicating for the troopers to follow his orders. "And bring the other traitor with us. For whatever reason, the Supreme Leader wants you both there."

"Why the hell does he want-"

"I wouldn't talk, trooper." Ren threatened, holding his hand out in a manner that indicated that he would be willing to hurt both Kyra and Silas if they weren't to obey the requests of the Supreme Leader. "Don't make this worse for the both of you."

Kyra gave a frightened look back at Silas, who just gave a silent nod, understanding that what was going on was out of his control. If he wanted to make things better for the both of them, now was not the time to be questioning orders.

The troopers guarding the cell fell in behind Silas, placing cuffs somewhat similar to the ones Kyra was wearing on his arms, jostling him forward out of the room. Kylo Ren followed suit with Kyra in tow, his grip tight on the woman- there were no chances to be had with someone as dangerous to the First Order as her, even injured.

Kyra just tried to focus on moving forward, a horrible feeling arising in her stomach as they continued the solemn march to the throne room again. There was something different in the way that everything was going on, something had shifted within the First Order since her last interrogation.

The echoing sounds of the march towards the throne room sounded like a walk towards death. It didn't make Silas feel any less unsettled as he turned his head around to see Kyra's face echoing the same sentiment he was. A smack on his shoulder with the hilt of a gun forced him to turn his attention forwards again, the guards on either side of him not in the mood to play any sort of games.

Snoke's chamber soon arrived in front of them, the doors eerily opening as soon as they arrived in front of them. The leader of the First Order knew that they were there- and it didn't put either of the two traitors of the organization at ease.

"Ah, the two traitors arrive." Snoke drawled, sitting in his throne with a twisted sort of curiosity. "Thank you my apprentice for bringing them here for me." He acknowledged Ren, who was kneeling in respect for the man, forcing Kyra to kneel alongside him with a harsh tug.

"Of course Master."

"Now I need you to do something incredibly important. I need you to make sure that the Resistance does not come and interfere with this... important situation that is about to unfold." Snoke dismissed his apprentice, Kylo Ren standing and acknowledging his orders.

"I will not fail you." Ren bowed his head, releasing his grip on Kyra. Two of Snoke's troopers took his place at her side, keeping her in a kneeling position and heavily restrained. Their red outfits and blades stood in stark contrast to the room, the pitch black of the room only making them more unsettling.

Kylo Ren turned out and into the hallway, leaving the room with one last sadistic look towards Kyra- and while it may not have been seen through his eyes, the woman knew exactly what kind of look he gave her. And it only made her fears worse.

"I've called you in here because I'm curious to see if the Resistance will actually hold up on their end of the deal." Snoke commented, seeing a laugh arise out of the young Ceydea. "While you might think it frivolous, we know of the communication you sent out after we broadcasted our message."

That silenced Kyra. She knew that they would catch on quickly, but for them to have realized so soon after was... alarming, to say the least.

"While you might have assumed that it would keep the Resistance away, we hope that it will have... the opposite effect." The leader of the First Order stated, seeing that Kyra had nothing to say anymore. "Your little warning may turn against you."

Closing her eyes, Kyra prayed to whatever in the universe would help her that Han and the rest of the Resistance would not be dumb enough to try and rescue her. It would jeopardize everything that she was trying to stop. And if the Resistance was able to bring Luke back with them she was afraid that things would only get even worse.

"It's only a matter of time before-"

"Sir, the twenty-four hours are up. Along with the deadline on both of the prisoners' lives." There was a harrowing silence in the hall after General Hux had spoken those words, the world barely moving around Kyra as she processed what he had said.

Both of them were doomed. That hadn't been a part of the discussion. She knew that her life was on the line, but she had (foolishly) hoped that Silas' wouldn't be as well. But now there wasn't anything that could save herself in that moment except for herself- and she was restrained and accompanied by two stormtroopers.

And Silas-

Silas was surprisingly calm throughout everything, a trait that Kyra valued having in most events but also hated. She could never tell what he was exactly thinking. She could only rely on what she saw him do. He was in restraints of his own, a glowering look directed straight at Hux as he continued to speak, every once in a while an occasional glance looking quickly over to Kyra, making sure that she was somewhat alright in the worst situation possible.

But Kyra was far from remotely being okay in this situation.

"It seems that the Resistance has failed to give up Luke Skywalker." General Hux smugly spoke, joy lighting up every inch of his face in front of his master and the woman that he had known and used for his own gain for years. He stared down at her for a moment, giving a sneer at the condition she was in before looking up at Snoke with a level of respect and pride. He had done something right over Kylo Ren- and he would be the one to make the First Order stronger. 

"Of course they wouldn't come." Kyra coughed out, her mind thanking the stars as she tried to muster up some amount of strength to fight back against Hux. She would be damned if she let that puny excuse of a man hold something over her for too long. "You think that Skywalker would come running for a daughter that he didn't know existed? He doesn't care about me. You must be out of your-"

She couldn't utter one word, the cold and harsh feeling of the Force pressing around her and suffocating her on top of the way her heart felt like it was about to stop in her chest, making her want to stop everything. As soon as it started it ended, the Supreme Leader attempting to silence her so she couldn't continue to anger him.

"It seems that your Resistance friends have made their decision." Snoke gloated, a sneering smile coming upon his face. As his hand dropped, allowing Kyra to shudder in a deep and gasping breath, she fell to her knees, barely reaching up to touch her nose with her handcuffed hands, seeing blood come back to meet her fingertips. "A Skywalker for a Skywalker."

"But now since we have you in our grasp and no Skywalker to leave for it, we can make use of the situation. Although it does seem that we have a... spare. " Snoke gestured down to Silas, who had been dragged out of the cell with Kyra. "And with no use for a spare, I think it would be rather fitting for the one who failed to bring us what we wanted to kill the other before her own death. That is, unless you tell us where Skywalker is."

"She won't do it." Silas spoke up, his eyes meeting Kyra's as she was about to speak. His actions became clear in his tone, intent obvious. Kyra hated him for it, drawing the attention towards him, not giving her a choice, but Silas knew he wasn't going to get out of this alive. "I may be worth some things, but giving away the location of Luke Skywalker is not one of them." He stuck his chin up in an attempt to force the attention on him, and not on Kyra.

"No!" Kyra gasped out, barely able to utter the words as she was stuck in her position. She had just gotten Silas back. She wasn't going to let him trade his life away for her. That wasn't a part of Kyra's plan.  "No. Don't kill him. I can't tell you where Luke is because I don't know where. You let him go and you keep me instead. Maybe the Resistance comes, maybe not. But you don't get to kill him. That wasn't the deal."

"The deal? The deal is off. Now that you couldn't provide us with what we desired, and you aren't telling us where Luke is, whether intentionally or not, there is nothing left to do. We have a spare. And you have no other options." Snoke noted, looking down at Kyra with a sick sort of satisfaction as he watched her realize that there was no escaping this.

"No." Every molecule of her body was feeling the same thing- a fear that everything was going south and she would never be able to escape the First Order and the life that she lived with it. Everything that she had done, every good deed that she had tried to do- it would all avail to nothing. It would just lead to more death and more bodies in her wake.

"There is no one that is going to save you from your fate." General Hux slyly added, rubbing salt into the wound as Kyra's heart dropped, everything that was occurring around her so sudden, so desperate. How was she supposed to-

"Kyra. Kai." Silas's voice broke through the silence. He had somehow broken away from his own two bodyguards, although Kyra had a sneaking suspicion that with Silas a dead man, locked up and restrained, it didn't really matter. He kneeled in front of her with a hand on her shoulder, his eyes trained on only her. She could barely feel Silas' gentle touch against her skin as she took in another shuddering breath, her eyes only trained on the cold linoleum floor underneath her. "Breathe. You're going to get through this. You're going to be-"

Kyra's eyes suddenly met his, her head reaching up from where it had been tucked against her chest, revealing tear soaked cheeks and a look in her eyes that told him that she knew that there was no escape. There was no hope for them in this moment. The Resistance was going to survive, the location of Luke Skywalker a secret, but-

They wouldn't.

"Since you and your Resistance have failed to bring us Skywalker, you leave us with no other choice. You know what was asked. And now you will face the consequences." Snoke gloated, seeing the light drain further from Kyra's eyes. Gesturing to the side, another stormtrooper came to Kyra's side, holding out a blaster for her to take.

Looking down at the weapon made her sick. It was Silas' own blaster, the one that he had given to Fox, the former stormtrooper then handing it to Kyra before leaving. To the First Order, this was all some sick and twisted kind of joke, something to ruin Kyra forever.

"I see you recognize the blaster." Snoke commented from his throne, pointing carelessly at the weapon and then at Silas. "I see it only fitting that the traitor kills her accomplice with the weapon he himself used. It's only fitting."

The troopers by Kyra's side pushed her towards the stormtrooper holding the weapon, uncuffing her only to reach out and grab the gun. The guards kept a tight watch on Kyra as she gripped the weapon, understanding how much of a threat that she was with a blaster.

"Don't even think about trying to escape. If you even try, we will only make things worse for you. And him." General Hux noted as he watched Kyra scan the room, recognizing her strategy for trying to wipe out as many targets as she could in the room.

"I'm so sorry." Tears streaming down her face, Kyra looked away from the whole situation, wanting to unsee and undo everything that had brought her to this point. Why would it have to be her- out of everyone in the galaxy- and why did it have to be now? Letting out a choked gasp, Kyra could only find herself to say one thing. "I'm so sorry Silas."

"Kyra- Kai." Silas spoke to her, not caring about what position they were in. He had accepted his fate a long time ago. "Look at me." He pleaded, seeing her tear stained eyelids squeezed shut, her entire head turned away from the scene at hand. Kyra's hands were shaking, the blaster that she had in hand by her side, unable to move her arm any further than that point.

He knew that she couldn't do it. Not to him. But Silas knew that there was no other way out of this- no other choice if she wanted to see Fox and Poe ever again. Not if she was going to get out of this alive- and he would choose Kyra over him any single day of the week. Kyra had her whole life in front of her, she had happiness and love waiting for her, and he wasn't willing for her to give it up for him.

Not for a choice that would break her.

"Look at me." Silas whispered, begging his best friend to give him one last goodbye, one last look in her eyes to tell her the words that he always wanted to tell her but never would have enough time to say. Silas knew there was never a world in which you got to have the full amount of time with the people that you loved- and he knew he would be a fool to not recognize that when he was moments away from death.

It took Kyra that last final plea for the woman to open her eyes, tears almost overflowing from her eyes. Silas could see all of the hurt and the pain that the kid was already experiencing, the burdens that she had to carry enough. She was going to have to carry another heavy burden on her shoulders, but Silas wanted to help her as much as he possibly could. "This is my choice, okay? Not the First Order's, not the Resistance's, not Snoke's or anyone else's. This isn't your choice,  and this most certainly isn't your burden to carry. This is mine."

"Do it!" Snoke's voice roared over the conversation that Silas was having with the woman that he considered to be his younger sister, Kyra's eyes squeezing shut as the Supreme Leader's voice roared over their conversation, causing her emotions to go even more awry.

"Hey! Hey." Silas caught Kyra's attention again, his shackles the least of his worries as he moved towards Kyra, cupping her face with his hands, wiping her tears. "You're going to be okay. You're going to get out of here." Silas whispered to her, staring into her eyes with an expression that he hoped said that everything was going to be alright. "Don't worry about me. You can do it. You can let me go."  He whispered, wrapping the woman in a tight embrace before she could even respond, before he was forced back to the ground by troopers that shocked him to his knees.

"Silas-" Kyra's voice hiccupped as she looked down at the gun, some gut feeling inside of her forcing her to raise it, almost as if everything that was playing out was destiny. "Silas, no. I can't lose you- not after all of this. I can't lose you again."

"You won't lose me." Silas tried to reassure the woman, a soft smile coming to his face as he gave a small chuckle, looking out at the stars and the galaxy that he had known to love and serve under Kyra's watch. "I'll always be with you, kid." There was a look in his eyes that tried to tell Kyra that it was okay, that it was alright to let him go- to let him live freely among the stars and live a life that he was never allowed to live under the First Order's reign. "You can let me go."

"Do it!" Snoke screamed at the two, getting impatient with the useless sentiments that he was viewing in front of him. "You either do the job, Skywalker, or we make it much worse." He growled, not impressed with the emotions and attachments that he saw in front of him.

"I'm so sorry."  Her tears overflowing, Kyra followed the rhythmic routine that she knew too well, her muscle memory falling into place as she prepared to train the gun against her friend- a man that she knew and loved. It was like she was stuck in hell, all emotions of hers overflowing, her body not able to handle it all and going into a rhythm that she knew all too well.

The familiar sounds of a safety turning off and the quiet motion of Kyra's hand solidifying against the blaster's trigger were the only noises that rang through the room as Snoke watched, savoring every moment of pain that he could put the two through before he watched another Skywalker suffer, and a man who was collateral damage to him but everything to the woman he saw in front of him die.

"Do it."

But Kyra couldn't do it. She couldn't stomach pulling the trigger.

Ever so quietly, Kyra felt Silas' rough and calloused hand wrap around her own, his fingers overlapping her own. There was no time for Kyra to think of an alternative, to try and scramble for a way out of the situation that they had been placed in. There was just one way out.

Kyra's eyes staring into Silas's, there were a million things that went unsaid between them, so many words that they wished that they said to each other that they would never be able to that seemed to be communicated to the other through just the look in the other's eyes. This was the end of the line for Silas, and he was accepting that. There was no escaping the fate that was laid out for him.

A deep shuddering breath came out of Kyra, the woman unable to do anything else as she thought out her final goodbyes to her best friend,  wishing for the universe to stop whatever cruel punishment she was being given. She wished for someone to save her, for that small flame of hope that had once burned inside of her to return, but her pleas went unanswered.

"I love you ki-"

The familiar and resonating sound of a blaster echoed through the hall of where the Supreme Leader sat, Silas' hand making Kyra squeeze the trigger, finally completing the deed that she had never wanted to do. She felt the warmth of his hand drop away from her own, hearing the body of her best friend fall to the floor as her head turned away from the scene. There was another shadow of a person to walk behind hers, a new monster of guilt she created consuming her every step, her every being as she heard Silas's final breath, his final exhale.

She had killed him.

.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.

okay that's it bye

yell at me in the comments later but know this was always the plan (:

admittedly not a slay for you guys but a slight giggle and a win for me because I just am an angst pain train writer

what will happen now!! the world will NEVER know...

but I do (:

see you next time

xoxo

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

345K 9.2K 66
A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away... War once more threatens to grip the galaxy. In the shadows, remnants of the old Galactic Empire have ref...
8.3K 137 34
Ever since that night, Jedi Knight Y/n Solo had been running. But one convenient evening, she found herself on Jakku, where she met someone that woul...
16.3K 573 12
❛ after time adrift among open stars, among tides of light and to shoals of dust, I will return to where I began . . . ❜ ﹝ poe dameron 𝖝 f!oc ﹞ ﹝#4...
3.9K 179 30
{ sequel to Amphitrite} Ever since Kylo Ren left his uncle, Luke Skywalker, and his past behind things have never been the same for him, nor his only...