Tempting Darkness [17+] ✔

By Daydream1011

Copyrighted 2020 **Book 1 in the Darkness Series!** **Completed!** *Under construction* There was a cre... More

Under Construction!
**Warning!**
Description
Preface
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11 -M
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31

Chapter 15

25K 1.2K 262
By Daydream1011

Hey guys! Here's another update 'cause I'm so darn nice!

Don't forget to check my comment feed on my profile for important updates and info!

Sorry for any grammar and editing mistakes!

Please comment, vote, and follow!

Enjoy!

-&-

Chapter 15

       I still ran a street pass mine and cut through some random people's backyards just in case those red-eyed freaks were still lurking around. I burst through the back door of the manor and slammed the wood shut so loudly I was sure I woke even the ghosts in the attic. The ghosts I didn't believe in. I didn't know what I believed anymore. I made sure the deadbolt was locked before running to the front door and testing that one.

       "Larkin?"

       I whirled around to see a half-asleep Adriel standing in the entry way of the living room. He was yawning and rubbing at one of his dark blue eyes, still wearing the same clothes as when I left. It had to be two in the morning, easily, and the thought that he must have tried to stay awake for me flashed through my mind. I would feel guilty about that later, but right then I was so happy to see him I nearly cried.

       I raced across the space between us and threw my arms tightly around his neck. "Whoa..." He rasped sleepily as my weight crashed into him and forced that toned body to stumble back. "Lark, what's wrong?" I couldn't answer him. I was terrified that if I tried to speak the barriers I had built in my eyes would break and I would start balling like a baby. So, I just squeezed my arms tighter around him and tried not to shake.

       "Hey. Hey, it's okay." I didn't realize I was trembling until his strong hands were running gently over my back and cradling me against him. "I'm right here, Angel." That officially broke the dam, and I couldn't force down the sob that racked through my body. But he didn't pull away and force me to tell him what happened. He just held my body tightly against his and rubbed those strong hands down my hair and over my back, whispering sweet words and reassurances the entire time.

       I nearly protested when he eventually started to pull away, but I had been attached to him like a parasite longer than I realized. "Come on." He took my hand and led me through the dining room and into the kitchen. I let him pull out a bar stool and gestured to sit. "Did someone hurt you?" Dri asked softly a moment later as he wet a washcloth and walked back over.

       I tried to sniff the rest of the tears away and shook my head. Still too afraid to talk. "You know you just have to tell me who they are, and I'll take care of it." My eyes flickered to his, and the complete seriousness there tore at my heart.

       "No, Dri. No one hurt me." Not for lack of trying though. His stony expression didn't ease, but his touch was gentle as I let him wipe the tears and ruined make-up from my cheeks.

       "Tell me later?" He asked softly, and I nodded even though I felt like such a complete and total dick. I knew he was going to be worried and concerned until I told him what happened, but how could I explain something that I didn't even know?

       "Were you waiting up for me?" I asked softly, my voice raspy from crying, as he went back to the sink to rinse the cloth out.

       "Of course." Those two simple words made my chest clench and had the guilt weighing on my shoulders feel like icy boulders.

"You have to go to work in a few hours."

       He shrugged and came back over to keep wiping gently at my face. "I wanted to apologize for being such a fucking ass earlier." My eyes widened at his words, and the small smile pulling on his lips eased the guilt raging through me. "I shouldn't have gotten so upset, I'm sorry."

       "Why did you?"

       Those dark blue eyes flickered away as he tossed the wet, make-up stained cloth into the sink. "I just... I know what college parties are like. I was worried about you." He was standing in front of me, his strong body tense as I reached for his strong hand. That gaze snapped back to mine as I thread my fingers comfortingly through his.

       "Thank you." He smiled and squeezed my hand. "Dri...?" I started softly as he went to pull his hand away. He paused, one dark eyebrow raising in question as a small hint of red began to stain my cheeks. "Does that one-time thing count for kissing too?" I don't know what made me ask that, especially after the complete mind-fuck I went through the past two days over what we did. But sitting in that kitchen with his strong hands holding and taking care of me, made my lips crave his more than anything.

       His mouth pulled up at the corner, and those dark blue eyes flashed against the ceiling light hanging above. "Not if you don't want it to." I didn't say anything as he leaned down, his entrapping gaze focused on mine. My bodies reaction when his lips pressed against my own was automatic. My fingers curled into the front of his shirt, my eyes closed, and I arched up into his strong chest like a freaking cat.

       It wasn't a sensual kiss. Well, it didn't start off as one at least. But then his tongue was gently pressing between my lips and I was opening them without hesitation. I didn't want sex right then, especially with all that fear and terror running through me, but his kiss was so intoxicating it turned everything else numb. His tongue rubbed against mine, his fingers wrapping softly in the curly mess of my hair as I moaned into him.

       Adriel pulled away all too soon. Though, in retrospect, it was probably for the best. I wasn't in the right state of mind, and it would only fuck with my head even more the next day. "It's really late." He breathed against my lips, his dark eyes flickering from my mouth to my gaze. "We should get you to bed." I chocked down a sound of protest as he pulled away, his fingers slipping from my hair to wrap back around my hand.

       He pulled me gingerly to my feet, with a small smoldering smile on his lips as he nudged us towards the dining room. I followed closely behind him as he led me from the kitchen and up the stairs, my hand still wrapped tightly around his. I was too afraid of what would happen if I let him get too far away. 

       Even though he's already seen, and explored pretty thoroughly, every inch of my body, he waited politely in the hallway as I changed into a pair of shorts and a large t-shirt—that I stole from his room the other day. It was a sweet thought, but I didn't care if he wanted to watch me strip down for the rest of my life.

       I glanced over at my alarm clock when he opened the door and walked into my room. It was two-thirty in the morning, and I felt like complete, guilty shit for keeping him awake all night. Dri didn't complain, he didn't even complain when I asked him to keep my door open and the hallway light on.

       I was surprised when he climbed onto the other side of my bed—over the covers—and let out a soft sigh. I was expecting him to go to his room and try to sleep for an hour or two, but this was so much better. He must have changed when I did since he was shirtless and in a pair of basketball shorts.

       I held the blankets clutched tightly to my chest with my body turned towards his. I inhaled the scent of his body wash. I could almost forget there were monsters with glowing red eyes when Adriel was this close and laying in my bed. That endearing, dark blue gaze washing protectively over me. Almost forget.

-&-

       "Why aren't you dressed?" I heard Raffie ask her brother through the crack in my door.

       "I'm going to stay home with Larkin today after I take you to the bus." I could just barely see Adriel helping Raf pull her backup onto her tiny shoulders.

       "What's wrong with, Lark?"

       I was losing my freaking mind, kid. That's what. I was buried beneath the covers of my bed, the dark green sheets clenched tightly in my hands as I pressed them to my chest. It was five-thirty in the morning, barely two hours after I finally went to bed, but I hadn't slept a wink. Every time I closed my eyes all I could see were four pairs of glowing red ones and that one, lone streetlamp.

       "She's just not feeling well, and I don't want to leave her alone." Which he hasn't since I threw myself at him the night before. We didn't talk about the kiss in the kitchen, nor did we share another one. Which I knew was for the best, especially right then, but that didn't change the fact that I so badly wanted to.

       "Oh... Can I stay home too?" Raffie asked eagerly, and I could practically see her beaming smile in my mind.

       Adriel laughed, and the sound was far warmer than the blankets wrapped around me. "Nice try, kid." Then the floorboards creaked as a heavy body walked towards my room. My door opened a little further. "I'm taking Raffie to the bus. I'll be back in a minute, okay?" Those blue eyes were dark with concern as he gazed over my all-but cowering form.

       "Y-Yeah, okay." I really didn't want him to leave. I didn't want either of them to leave, especially with those things lurking out there in the dark.

       Adriel didn't look so certain. He was gripping the edge of the door and standing half in my room half in the hallway, his gaze never leaving mine. "I'll only be a few minutes." It sounded like he was trying to reassure himself more than me. I forced a smile on my lips so those tense shoulders of his would relax.

       "I'll be okay, Dri. Tell Raf 'bye' for me."

       "Bye Larkin! I hope you feel better." Those big, blue, doe eyes of the nine-year-old's suddenly peeked around her brother.

       "Thanks, Raffie. Have a good day." She shot me a large grin and little wave. Little jerk was so darn cute.

       "Ten minutes, tops." Dri spoke up as he shooed his sister away from the door and towards the stairs. "Try to sleep, Lark." He called softly over his shoulder as he turned to follow Rafael down the stairs. Even though the morning sun was starting to rise and shine through my windows, he kept all the lights on. I don't think he realized how endearing that was.

       I closed my eyes as the sound of their retreating steps and the front door opening then closing reached my ears. But as that eerie silence of the empty manor filled my ears, I knew I wasn't going to be getting much sleep for a while. My mind had been racing the entire time I laid in that bed, my eyes wide open.

       I had been drinking, and even though I could have sworn I was sober by the time that thing happened—was I really? How real was it? Maybe someone had slipped me something at the party, even though I didn't drink anything there. There was a lot of touching and brushing past people though! Maybe they were like poking people with drugs or something. But even if that was the case, I wouldn't have been anywhere near coherent to make it to the center of town.

       No matter how many different theories or scenarios I ran through my head, I couldn't shake the fact that it had been real. That there really were four, red-eyed monsters that can control the cities lights and want to play. Which I'm pretty sure was just another word for 'eat', if their constant comments about being hungry were anything to go by.

       I was going down another rabbit hole of theories when my door creaked open once again. I sucked in a sharp, icy breath and jumped straight up at the noise. "It's just me." Adriel stood in the open doorway, a small, apologetic smile on his lips even though those blue eyes shown in worry. My heart was racing furiously in my chest, and I had to gulp down a shaky breath before laying back against the pillows.

       I really needed to chill the fuck out.

       "You really need to get some sleep, Angel." He spoke softly as he stepped towards the bed, his hand outstretched to brush the hair off my forehead.

       "I'm not sleepy."

       "Liar." But he laughed softly as the word left his lips. Then he walked around to the other side of the bed and laid down on top of the covers. He had stayed like that all night until he got up to get Raf ready. I don't think he slept either.

       I turned around under the covers until his strong arm was in my line of sight. I closed my eyes and let out a shaky breath, the tension in my shoulders leaving with his close proximity. "I wish you would tell me what happened." Dri murmured softly and turned on his side until I was facing his strong chest. My eyes closed as his hand reach up and rubbed soothingly down my messy hair.

       "You wouldn't believe me if I told you." I sighed into his touch and tried to fight off the exhaustion that was suddenly weighing down my eyes. Strong fingers ran gently through the ends of my hair, the only part that wasn't in a curly, tangled mess.

       "Try me."

       I placed my fingers against his stony chest and tapped lightly on his tan skin. Could I tell him the truth? How would he take it? Fuck, he'd probably lock me up in an insane asylum. "I wasn't feeling the party we were at, so I left to come home." I started softly with my eyes locked on the fingers I had pressed against him. "I thought I was heading back to campus, but I guess I got the buildings confused and ended up walking into town."

       "Wait, you were by yourself?" I tore my gaze from his chest to glance over at those dark blues. They weren't happy.

        I chewed anxiously on the inside of my cheek. "Um, yeah. River found a—a date, and Siena didn't want to leave him alone—"

       "So, they left you alone." That strong jaw of his clenched shut and the muscles beneath my fingertips tensed. "I don't like these friends of yours." He rolled the word 'friends' off his tongue with distaste.

       "Don't get mad at them. We had all been drinking, and it's not like we're that close or anything." I muttered quietly, which did nothing to ease that angry haze in his eyes.

       "That doesn't matter, Larkin. I didn't want you walking around by yourself during the day, much less at night." Adriel let out a long sigh, his chest rising and falling deeply as he did. "Did someone follow you after the party? Did they hurt you?"

       I couldn't stare into those demanding blue eyes for much longer, and I dropped my gaze back to his hard chest as I forced the words from my lips. "I don't... I don't know who they were. I don't know if they were from the party or just happened to see me in town."

       "They?"

       "Yeah, Adriel. They. Are you going to let me tell you what happened or not?" His hand had left my hair to grip tightly at my upper arm and I dared a glance at that glaring blue gaze. His face was set in stone, that jaw line impressively chiseled as his teeth clenched shut.

       "Larkin, I swear to God if someone hurt you—"

       "No, no one hurt me." I reassured him again with an exaggerated sigh and resisted the urge to roll my eyes. At least when he was being aggravating, I wasn't worried about red-eyed demons. "Now shut up, or I'm not telling you anything else."

       "Yeah, fine, whatever." And that grumbled response sounded so much like something I would say, it made me laugh.

       "Like I said, I thought I was heading towards campus, but turns out it was town square. I thought I felt someone watching me but there was no one else around so I just tried to hurry up. And then things got... weird." His hand squeezed my arm reassuringly as my voice trailed off. How the hell could I explain this to him? Any sane person would just laugh and tell me I was seeing things. I almost wished he would be one of those people.

       "Weird how, Angel?" The anger had slowly fled from those dark eyes, and even though his face was still stony, the look he gave me made my heart ache.

       "Well, weird stuff started happening." A dark eyebrow raised at my statement, but he didn't say anything. "Like the streetlamps started turning off, and then there was this creepy laughter when I got into the neighborhood, and then these guys suddenly appeared out of nowhere, and they had red eyes!" Once it started, it wouldn't stop, and I was spewing out everything that happened like a dam had exploded in my mind.

       "I didn't want to lead them to the house, so I stopped and grabbed this pipe, and then they cornered me against this fence, and were talking about like eating me and stuff! And then they saw something behind me, freaked out and took off even though there wasn't anything there! I ran a few streets back and cut through people's backyards just in case. And then you were there and yeah."

       I blinked up at a wide-eyed Adriel, my blankets clutched to my chest as he stared at me in silence. He took in a deep breath and let it slowly out before speaking. "So, you're saying that a group of red-eyed people, were chasing you to try and eat you..." I suddenly felt like a complete and total idiot when the disbelief in his tone registered in my brain. I dropped my eyes and took my hand back from his chest.

       "You don't believe me."

       "I believe something terrified the ever-loving shit out of you, but red-eyed people trying to eat you? That sounds like one of your dreams, Lark."

       Actually, now that he mentioned it, it did sound like one of my dreams. But that didn't change the fact that it really happened. Or, something happened at least! "I'm not lying, Adriel."

       "I don't think you are." That warm hand rubbed gently over my arm before traveling up to rest against the side of my face. "You're gorgeous and there probably were some fucks going after you. It's one of the reasons why I don't like you wandering around by yourself." Despite his words there was still that doubt in his dark eyes, but his touch was gently as that thumb brushed lightly over my cheek bone. "But you were drinking, Angel. Maybe your drunk mind just added all the weird stuff because that's what's been going on in that subconscious of yours lately." He nudged his forehead against mine, his oh-so-yummy lips pulling softly into a warm smile.

       "Yeah... maybe."

       Adriel just gave my mind the out I had been looking for all night. I had been drinking, and I had been dreaming of those red eyes and the whole 'eating me' thing recently. I wanted nothing more than to agree that they were just a group of disgusting, horny college guys trying to get their kicks in with a girl walking around by herself in the middle of the night. No red eyes, no ability to control streetlights, just my drunk mind and their unwanted advances.

       Then why did I keep repeating over and over in my head 'but I was sober then'?

       "Hey." Dri's voice pulled me away from those thoughts, and that soft touch of his traveled to my jaw. "That doesn't mean what happened wasn't serious. Please don't ever go off by yourself like that again." His dark blue eyes were narrowed in worry, and I had to force myself to ignore the straining muscles in his arm. "Call me next time okay? No matter if were arguing or if you're mad at me, or whatever, I don't care. Just call me."

       I nodded, even though I didn't plan on going to another party any freaking time soon—much less ever drink again. The last thing I needed was my mind turning those dreams into a reality. "Say it, Larkin. Say you'll call me next time, or I won't believe you." I rolled my eyes at that controlling tone taking over his voice. It might have been hot while we were having sex, but it was just plain annoying any other time.

       "Yeah, Adriel. I'll call you."

       That hard look slowly slipped from his handsome face and he leaned forward to press a kiss against my forehead. "Thank you, sweet girl."

       I tried not to let him see how giddy that little praise made me, and I forced down my smile. One-time thing. We both agreed to keep what happened between us a one-time thing. But that didn't stop this unbearable need to tear those short away and climb on top of him. And that kiss the night before. I wasn't in the right state of mine, but it still made my head spin.

       Then there was the way he was looking at me now, his eyes all dark and smoldering, and how close we were laying. I wanted to change that one-time thing to a two and more-time thing. His face leaned closer to mine until those mind-numbingly soft lips just barely brushed against my own. "You should really get some sleep." He murmured into the quiet of my room, his lips pulling away as a cold, loneliness washed over me.

       I let out an internal sigh and tried not to latch onto him as he put space between us. He was right, though. I should get some sleep and continuing down that path we had just been on wouldn't do either of us any good. Yeah, sure, he promised I would be 'one of his girls' forever, but that didn't change the fact that guys get bored. 

       I was more at risk of falling in love with the man than he was with me. And hell, the guy was drop dead fuck worthy. I literally saw three girls line up in a row to give him their number once. He could have anyone he wanted. It wouldn't be long before he figured out that wasn't me.

       "Don't leave." I mumbled on a yawn as I curled up against his side, my forehead resting against the hard muscle of his bicep as I clenched the blankets to my chest.

       "You know I never will." 

-&-

Oof. I want to marry that man.

Hope you all enjoyed!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.7K 318 13
BOOK TWO IN A SERIES!!! Lost - in her mind. She was found, beaten bloody in the middle of the desert, without the memory that she was once Batibat; D...
384 31 28
[Spoilers for "Dance in Shadow & Whisper", book 1 of the Marionettes of Myth series!] She stepped through the doors of eternal night. Now the king of...
8K 221 34
My body trembled, but not from the cold. "You frighten me." His brow twitched, eyes darting around the features of my face. "Frighten, or excite?" Hi...
4.1K 474 34
[COMPLETED : 5|09|2016 and slowly editing ] He snapped his fingers and a red flame flourished into existence. "How did you-" "I'm a professional." He...