The Ruined Rainbow

By SayeshaL

Cover credits: @missoctowriter Earlier known as, "The Sweetest Smiles Have The Darkest Secrets." ***** Two p... More

THE RUINED RAINBOW
CHAPTER 1
CHAPTER 2
CHAPTER 3
CHAPTER 4
CHAPTER 5
CHAPTER 6
CHAPTER 7
CHAPTER 8
CHAPTER 9
CHAPTER 10
CHAPTER 11
CHAPTER 12
CHAPTER 13
CHAPTER 14
CHAPTER 15
CHAPTER 16
CHAPTER 17
CHAPTER 18
CHAPTER 19
CHAPTER 20
CHAPTER 21
CHAPTER 22
CHAPTER 23
CHAPTER 24
CHAPTER 25
CHAPTER 26
CHAPTER 27
CHAPTER 28
CHAPTER 29
CHAPTER 30
CHAPTER 31
CHAPTER 32
CHAPTER 33
CHAPTER 34
CHAPTER 35
CHAPTER 36
CHAPTER 37
CHAPTER 38
CHAPTER 39
CHAPTER 40
CHAPTER 41
CHAPTER 42
CHAPTER 43
CHAPTER 44
CHAPTER 45
CHAPTER 46
CHAPTER 47
CHAPTER 48
CHAPTER 49
CHAPTER 50
CHAPTER 51
CHAPTER 52
CHAPTER 53
CHAPTER 54
CHAPTER 55
CHAPTER 56
CHAPTER 57
CHAPTER 58
CHAPTER 59
CHAPTER 60
CHAPTER 61
CHAPTER 62
CHAPTER 63
CHAPTER 65
CHAPTER 66
CHAPTER 67
CHAPTER 68
CHAPTER 69
CHAPTER 70
CHAPTER 71
CHAPTER 72
CHAPTER 73
CHAPTER 74
CHAPTER 75
Author's Note
CHAPTER 76
CHAPTER 77
CHAPTER 78
CHAPTER 79
CHAPTER 80
CHAPTER 81
CHAPTER 82
CHAPTER 83
CHAPTER 84
CHAPTER 85
CHAPTER 86
CHAPTER 87
CHAPTER 88
CHAPTER 89
CHAPTER 90
CHAPTER 91
CHAPTER 92
CHAPTER 93
CHAPTER 94
CHAPTER 95
CHAPTER 96
CHAPTER 97

CHAPTER 64

252 19 0
By SayeshaL

Ayesha

The first brave ray of sunlight hit my face, and I stirred in annoyance. As though the sunlight was forcing my eyes to open when I was feeling ridiculously extra sleepy.

I would have loved to turn my face away from the rays, but to my hard luck, there was this thick muscular arm around my waist, holding me tightly, as though making sure that I wasn't going anywhere.

I looked at the smiling and a slightly snoring sleepy face of Sahil beside me and grinned satisfactorily. It would be a shame to wake him up now when he looked so peaceful...

Not wanting to, I gently tugged at his arm. A look of dissatisfaction crossed his face, and he tightened the already tight hold of his hand on my waist.

"Sahil?" I called gently, "Can you please wake up?"

"No." He grumbled and snuggled his head on my shoulder, nuzzling his nose in a bewitching manner.

"Sahil... I have got a long working day." I say once again, pleadingly, and he shook his head, his eyes still closed, his lips automatically pouting.

I sighed.

"Sahil? Please?" I tried again, and he groaned and released his tight hold on my waist; grumbling as he did so.

I took the opportunity and helped myself to sit in a sitting position, supporting myself to grab the water jar and the crystal glass. I pour the water into the glass and place the jar back to the table.

Leaning on the wall for support, I took a long sip of the cold water. The water rushed through my parched throat, acting as a beautiful cooler.

I looked at Sahil, who was clutching a pillow now and had a peaceful expression on his face. A smile readily arose to my lips as I lovingly watched his countenance.

He looked so vulnerable and peaceful at the same time...

Everything was going perfectly... Smoothly and faultlessly... We had enjoyed so many moments together... We both were in a sleek and wonderful relationship...

Suddenly, An uneasy emotion arose in my chest as a sudden fear gripped my heart, bounding it in chains of dread-the unexplainable feeling; spontaneous yet unfathomable and peculiar; as it was searing.

As quickly as it came, it vanished almost instantly; leaving me stunned and scared strangely. But... I had sensed it. It had sent chills down my spine for a sudden second, and my heart had begun to palpitate.

I tried to smile at my foolish hallucination and thoughts... Tried to laugh at how silly my fear had been...

But it was futile.

Sahil mumbled something into the pillow and clasped my hand sleepily. Kissing it, drowsily, he clutched it close to his heart and went back to sleep again.

This time, I was expressionless and vacuous at the gesture. My eyes automatically went to the fluorescent green T-Shirt I was wearing since yesterday night.

That unwelcome thought still gripped me... I could almost visualise myself, in the fear that had so abruptly arisen in my heart...

...Fear of losing Sahil Malhotra.

******

I sat in the dining table, shielding the cup of coffee between my palms, to allow me to feel the heat. However, the weather couldn't neutralise the strange coldness I was experiencing at this moment...

I had washed my face thoroughly three times, this morning, splashing the cold water on my face vigorously; almost trying to wash away the horrible feelings I had so unexpectedly felt this morning. Not helping, I took a quick bath and busied myself in getting ready. It had been effective to a certain extent...

I instantly shook out of my reverie as I heard a chair draw out, and I saw Sahil plonk, rubbing his eyes wearily.

I immediately brought the flask of boiling milk, as he poured decoction in a mug. He nodded as I poured the boiling milk, and he moodily stirred the cup.

"Any reason why you are all dressed at half-past six when you still have two and a half hours to leave?" He asked earnestly, and I gave a sheepish smile.

"I don't know. I just didn't feel sleepy anymore. "

"That's quite rare coming from your mouth, " he said, and I chuckled. "You're off for work?" He asked, and I gave the nod. He grunted in displeasure as he sipped the hot coffee.

My mobile beeped with a message and my eyes travelled to it; it was a regular text from Akanksha asking me about some office work. As I type to reply to her; my eyes notice the unusually over flooded inbox messages and log calls.

Fifteen missed calls and thirty-four messages.

I gasped when I saw all we're from Kavi Di.

And all the events of yesterday's party came crashing to me... I had promised to call her once I reach home... But she was unaware of the sudden detour I had taken... I slammed a hand to my forehead and did the most sensible thing.

I cursed.

Sahil watches me in amusement, his eyes no longer tired as horrible and meaningless curses leave my mouth. He says indifferently; "Your mobile was ringing a lot last night. I heard it."

"Why didn't you wake me up?" I asked gravely. Surely, he cannot be this annoying! If he had, he could have stopped World War III; that was going to take place in Andheri, a few minutes from now on.

"Because you were sleeping." He said sincerely, sipping his coffee and gave me a good pout, blinking his eyes innocently.

Oh!

"So... Why didn't you pick up the call?"

"Because she is your cousin!" He said in a scared voice.

"You make it sound as though she is a demon!" I said incredulously.

"It's not like she is not." He muttered under his breath.

"Sahil!"

"Sorry, " he raised his hands in surrender.

"Why are you scared of her so much? You haven't even met her!" I say laughing at his sincere alarmed face.

"I don't even want to, " he said, leaning ahead, a secretive smile on his face.

"Wait... Don't tell me you think my sister is one of those 'Snoopy' sorts of people whom you so often see in the South Indian movies!"

"Well... You can say that?" He said sheepishly, scratching his head.

"You can't say that! " I defended hotly, typing an apology message for Di in my phone. "She is a lovely person. You have to meet her more often."

"And why is that?" He demanded.

"To get to know her, " I said patiently, erasing the lines I typed and fiddling with my thumbs as to what I should precisely type, "She is going to be your sister-in-law after a-"

I stilled with shock as I realised what I said. My throat went dry, and heat crept up to my cheeks, and my face went all wintry types. I felt my face change to all shades of red in embarrassment. Silently praying, I looked up to see Sahil already looking at me in an a......triumphant manner?

I instantly began to cough.

Sahil airily drew out the water jug and poured water in a crystal glass and pushed it towards me; an inexplicable smirk all the while. I was helping myself to some icy water to cool down the heat that was erupting in my cheeks so steadily and spontaneously.

And thankfully, my phone ringed. Both of our eyes travelled to the device, and back to our faces, again.

The only difference?

His face was purely annoyed, and mine was genuinely thankful.

I was so desperate to get out of here that I didn't notice it was Kavita Di and just got up from the chair and ran away to the verandah, not uttering a word.

"Hello?" I panted, taking efforts for a deep breath, and trying to calm myself down.

"Are you alright? Are you kidnapped? Are you stuffed in some vehicle? Are you wrapped in a gunny sack?"
A worried voice began telling me anxiously, and I instantly closed my eyes in displeasure.

"Yes, no, no, and no," I said, slamming my head gently to the wall behind. I deserved it; not for taking the sudden detour but for picking up her call now. I knew what was awaiting me;

She heaved a sigh of relief, before,

"AYESHA MEHRA! Have you totally lost your mind?" She yelled, "Do you even know how worried I was? I didn't receive your text, and I was forced to rush back home to check on you! And guess what I found; the front door LOCKED!" She screamed so loud that I drew the mobile far away from my ear and rubbed them.

"Di, I was-"

"Bed empty! No note! No message! No calls! And you just vanished into thin air! Do you know I was an inch away from filing a police complaint?" She shouted angrily.

"Di, I know and I was-" I began only to be cut off again,

"You're coming home, now, and listen to what I have got to say. " she bellowed.

"Di-I have an extra morning shift, " I invented wildly. I certainly didn't want to face her and her anger at this moment. No one in their right mind would walk to trouble willingly!

"RIGHT NOW!" She yelled. And I saw a couple of birds fly away instantly from a nearby tree. As much as I am aware that I am going to get killed by my beloved cousin, I smiled automatically and pressed my palm to my mouth, trying my best not to let out a giggle.

"Okay, okay, I am coming home," I said hurriedly, and she disconnected the call.

I give an amused expression at the blank screen of my mobile, which almost instantly turns to an embarrassed one; when I recollect what happened a few minutes ago. I face-palmed myself, patting my cheeks as though they would drop their red colour if I did so, and ran a hand through my curly tresses.

Flustered and wholly red; I proceed back to the dining hall.

******

The glittering, encrusted dress was folded and kept at the back of the car as Sahil very half-heartedly agreed to give me a drop to the Mehra Residence. He had plastered a solemn expression on his face and was nervously tapping the steering wheel.

"For heaven's sake, Sahil! Can you stop that?" I asked irately.

He stopped for a minute before resuming it again.

"Why do you always have to make it look like we are going for a war or something? We are just meeting my cousin sister!"

"Exactly, " he muttered and chose not to elaborate.

"You seemed to have possessed a vengeful spirit of a soldier of World War II, " I said wryly, resting my head on the window plane.

"I have just acted in a movie where the protagonist is a soldier, and he dies, so, no comments." He said gravely,

"Sahil, I swear, you're making it look awful. Come on; She is a huge fan of yours!" I say encouragingly,

"She is?" He asked horrified and groaned. "I am just going to drop you and run back!" He stated as we pulled at the gate of the Mehra Residence.

I rolled my eyes at him; as he made all arrangements to get the car instantly out of the road, and was literally hushing me to get out faster.

But then; the big gates of the Mehra Residence opened, and Kavita Tiwari stepped out with a grim look.

She glared at us, and we both look at each other. In an instant, we both step outside as she walks to the pair of us, and crosses her arms regarding us both; as if debating the ways to kill us.

******

"No messages. No calls and no information!" Kavi Di said for the umpteenth time, and I bowed my head in shame even more. "Do you know how worried I was?"

We both were seated in opposite couches and Sahil in the one between them. He stared warily from me to her; his eyes, travelling to each end in a fed-up manner; watching the sibling fighting, with a wary expression and a more of why-am-I-even-here kind of face.

"Am I correct?" Kavi Di suddenly asked, glaring at Sahil and he jumped violently. A small giggle escaped from my mouth but went unnoticed.

"Correct, " Sahil said weakly.

"There!" Kavi Di clapped triumphantly,

"But my phone was switched off, right Sahil?" I began in my defence, glaring at him;

He meekly nodded, saying, "Right."

"But it is a duty to inform someone who is waiting for you, isn't it?" Kavi Di pressed, staring icily at Sahil.

He hastily gave a brief nod before muttering; "Correct."

"But, how could a poor girl send a message when she was busy all night? Isn't that right, Sahil?" I pleaded, and Sahil looked at Kavi Di in a frightened manner and muttered, "Right."

I was feeling increasingly poor for Sahil; who caught up between two siblings; having no idea whom to support.

"What do you mean busy? What we're you doing all night?" She demanded, and my gaze automatically meets Sahil,  a blush readily arises in my cheek. I suddenly become interested in studying the tiles of my living room.

"Answer me!" Kavi Di said calmly, looking at me to Sahil, with a bemused stare. I silently plead Sahil, and thankfully, he instantly comes to my rescue.

"That's not important, erm-um-Ms Tiwari," He said hastily, and I give him a trenchant look, almost wanting him to chide him and laugh at his nervousness at the same time. A giggle escapes my mouth, and when I feel two annoyed pairs of eyes on me, I again find interest in the tiles.

"What's more important is to apologise!" Sahil clapped his hands together, "Ayesha is supposed to apologise and end this right now!"

I glared at him. Traitor!

"Ayesha?" He pressed, giving me a pointed look,

"Di, I am so sorry. This won't repeat again, " I said earnestly, clasping my hands together, in a pleading manner.

"Yeah, she'll never do this again!" Sahil added, earning a dagger stare from me.

Di looked at me suspiciously, her eyes roaming from me to Sahil before giving a brief nod, "It better not, "

Sahil gave a massive sigh of relief.

******

We all sat in the dining table, with Di serving us food. She still was a bit cold to me; because of the fiasco, I created.

Sahil was slowly getting more comfortable with Kavi Di, praising her cooking and food. He was increasingly entertaining the table with his ridiculous jokes too.

"And then... I laughed so hard that I fell out of my bed, and continued to laugh even though my back was aching!" He told, and we both burst into good laughter; Kavi Di almost struggling to get the water through her throat without choking. She kept the glass down and gave out a big laugh, clutching her stomach with her free hand and the other banging lightly on the plate.

I wriggled my eyebrows at Sahil, and he gave me shushing look; he smiled nervously at the girl opposite to him and began to concentrate on his Roti. Kavi Di helped herself to another glass of water but however abruptly slammed the glass on the table; looking weirdly at Sahil.

He gave an apprehensive and a nervous smile and glanced at me, and I asked; "What's it, Di?"

"I know how you are!" She said hysterically to Sahil, "You're Sahil Malhotra!"

"That's...amazing? " Sahil smiled uneasily, glancing at me; virtually questioning me if my cousin was sane.

"Ayesha! I hate you so much!" Di began to complain, "I was so worried about you; I didn't notice he was Sahil Malhotra! The Sahil Malhotra!"

"Well, you noticed now, " Sahil said in an encouraging tone; concealing all the sarcasm. He gives a hidden smirk as I give him a light smack on his forearm, beneath the table.

"So, you're her boyfriend?" She demanded,

Sahil gave me an uneasy glimpse and said; "I guess?"

"Do you smoke?" She asked narrowing her eyes,

"Di!"

"Um-I don't." Sahil smiled nervously. "Not now, at least, "

"What are your future plans?" She further interrogated.

"Di!" I gave her a visible tap on her fist and gave Sahil a helpless you-don't-have-to-answer shrug, but Di's eyes were glued to him, intentionally and quite literally.

"Er-acting?" He said nervously, pushing away the plate slightly as if he lost the appetite because of the sudden interrogation.

"Hmm... What are your friends like?" She debriefed further, and I rolled my eyes.

"Good?" Sahil chuckled nervously,

"When did you two meet?"

"Around two years ago." Sahil smiled at me; I couldn't help but smile back.

"What's her favourite food?"

"It's Pav Bhaji, " Sahil said without skipping a beat, and my cheeks flushed in incomprehensible happiness and proudness.

"Hundred per cent sure?" Kavi Di narrowed her eyes;

"Hundred and ten per cent sure," Sahil said confidently, and my cheeks further felt warm. He gave me a passionate wink, and I shook my head slightly, gazing at the half-eaten roti of mine; smiling at it.

"What's her favourite movie?" Di pressed, unaware of the sudden rise in the temperature of the room.

"Oh, that's easy. It's DDLJ."

"Where and when was your first kiss?" Di continued calmly, and I glared at her.

"Di!" I exclaimed, and she chose to ignore me.

"It was in Romania. With a co-actor..." Sahil said diffidently, scratching his neck and giving me an alarmed glance.

"Who do you first flirt with?"

"Di!" I smacked her without Sahil seeing, beneath the table. She simply yanked her hand away and placed it on the table.

Great!

"Umm-" Sahil gave me a slight smile, "It was with Ayesha," he confessed, and I was surprised with this sudden revelation.

"Not anyone else? Not any other co-star?" She asked suspiciously, speaking out my doubts.

"No. " he smiled in my direction, once again, "It was with Ayesha alone. It is reserved for Ayesha alone."

My eyes fluttered happily from each dish on the table to Sahil's eyes shyly.

"When was your first kiss with Ayesha?" Di continued indifferently, giving me an evil smirk; and in a second, I knew she was getting back at me for Rahul Arora prank yesterday.

"Well- it was in India Gate, " Sahil answered coyly, smiling as he recollected that moment.

"But Ayesha said-" Di began looking at me accusing, and I instantly remembered I had skipped details to her to a great extent.

"It was in India Gate;" I interjected before she can accuse me of not telling her the biggest earth-destroying news.

She gave me an impeaching look which was immediately replaced by a smug look, and she offered me a super-evil smirk before continuing sweetly to Sahil; who was bemused by this situation happening.

"How many kids do you want to have in future, Sahil?" She asked in a sweetly sick manner, battling her eyelashes at me.

"Di!" I yelled, becoming increasingly red; almost sure that I resembled a tomato. I was instantly reminded of the incident that occurred today and the one-two weeks ago. Di ignored me. She continued to look at Sahil, who was smiling sheepishly in an almost embarrassed manner.

"Yes?" She prompted.

"I am going to go, " I said, standing up, praying, she would stop this investigating interrogation.

She looked at me and smiled, "Sure. You had an extra morning working shift, didn't you?" She questioned innocently, and I instantly knew I shouldn't have lied to her.

I groaned and sat back again, scowling at Di. My cheeks flushed in heat when I remembered the conversation with Sahil that happened two weeks ago. Di merely chuckled looking at the mortified reaction on both our faces.

"You should check your expressions, " she laughed, "You both look as if you have drowned in a bucket of red paint."

Sahil decided he wasn't going to speak anything and looked away, still blushing and I looked daggers at Di. If looks could kill, she would be buried four feet below the earth right now. I happily fantasised different ways to could kill her. However, she plastered a naive face and gave a pout.

She excused herself from the table, carrying the plates with her, and went towards the kitchen. And both Sahil and I hear her laughing from the kitchen.

Sahil muttered something that he needed to use the bathroom and excused himself, face-palming as he went so. I took my chance and ran to the kitchen.

Kavi Di was washing the plates. She looked up and said amusedly, "That was fun, wasn't it?"

"It was not, " I snapped.

"Ah! Come on, Ayesha, it was a joke!" She chuckled, "I swear, I felt like I was Karan Johar, and we had a rapid-fire round going on. "

"Di!"

"Come on, Ayesha! We all have questions regarding the heartthrob of the nation, don't we? And I just cleared some fangirl doubts!" She battled her eyelashes and gave me an innocent pout.

******

Kavi Di suggested Sahil, and I go for a quick walk, while she prepares a cup of coffee for all three of us. I thought she was feeling guilty for the things that unfolded before and hence, I readily agreed. It was anyway just half-past seven, and I still had an hour to leave.

But more importantly, Sahil was oddly quiet and was maintaining a no-expression face. He responded to all my questions but didn't dwell on them. He chose to keep silent.

"Hey, " I tugged at his arm, and he looked at me in mild surprise.

"Yeah?"

"Are you okay?" I asked carefully,

"Of course I am, " he said hastily, "Why will I not be?"

"You're acting differently. " I said honestly, looking at his brown-black eyes for some sign of expression. He gave a quick smile and looked forward, at the vacant road, neither confirming or denying my statement.

"Hey!" I looped his arm and came forward to stand before him, "I am sorry, she acted like that. I swear, she just wanted to pay me back for the prank yesterday. I really am sorry if you felt uncomfortable. "

"No, Ayesha." He smiled at me, "I didn't feel uncomfortable. But that conversation made me think about something. "

"About what?" I asked carefully,

"You'll know when the time comes, " he said patiently, a gleam of hope igniting in his eyes.

Strangely, I didn't feel the urgency or need to ask him or accuse him of having secrets all the time. That fire in his eyes defeated all my questions; as I continued to look at those heavenly eyes, that so managed always to keep me warm and elated.

I nodded, smiling as I did so, and his lips automatically extended to smile back.

We both walked in the deserted road. His hand casually came around my neck and mine went across his waist, and together we walked the foggy lonely path, as the sun rose above steadily, relinquishing all the darkness.

******

Kavi Di had placed the hot coffee ready on one of the two majestic pillars that hoisted the name board of my house.

I was partly grateful for that; because Sahil seemed quite reluctant to enter the house again. I was sure he didn't hare or dislike Kavi Di but was quite moody at this point.

He leaned on the car as he sipped the coffee, and I stood in front of him. I was trying to preserve the warmth of the coffee against the chilly wind; by placing it between my palms.

"So, " he began, "I am leaving today, to Banglore. I have a flight in two hours, "

"Oh yeah!" I said, "You told me! I had forgotten about it." I smiled sheepishly remembering our phone conversation two days ago.

"Yeah..." He trailed casually, "I will be back on Saturday only, " he said.

Saturday was...

"Oh!"

I didn't know if he remembered, but I didn't want to make him forcefully remember. He would react if he remembered else it's not a very big thing. After all, it's common to forget birthdays, isn't it? And it's not that it's a must rule for your boyfriend to remember your birthday. It's not a big deal.

"But I see you haven't packed yet, " I said suspiciously,

"Because, I haven't, " he confirmed moodily, "I have to pack still."

"Sahil!" I scolded, " Your flight is in like- two hours!"

"It's not a big deal to grab a pair of jeans and two T-shirts, with some essentials and dump them into a bag. Unlike you, Ayesha, I travel light. " he winked playfully,

"Oh, please. It's not that I carry a mountain in my suitcase, " I defended myself, "I travel pretty light too."

"Of course. I totally forgot," he said sarcastically, "We just had to carry three weightless bags for a trip of two days to Kerala. "

I took a long sip of coffee and focused my attention on my garden behind. Wow, the grass looks so hale and healthy!

Sahil chuckled and patted my crimson cheek lightly, before draining the last drops of his coffee. He drew out his mobile from his back pocket, apparently to call his PA, as I cherished the remaining drops of coffee.

As I stared at the space beyond; I felt that once more-a fiery dread. Almost I could see someone snatching away Sahil, casting a veil of separation between the pair of us. The fear diffused to my insides in a second, and I felt myself stiffen...

"You all right?" Sahil asked, concerned, glancing up from his mobile.

And once again, in a second, it's just...gone.

"Yeah, " I nodded, forcing a smile. Feeling the urgent need to warm myself, I hastily drink the boiling liquid, trying to soothe my insides with the heat.

But that icy feeling had my heart gripped...

"So?" Sahil continued chirpily, raising his hand for a hug, "I'll see you on Saturday?"

"S-Sure."

He lightly hugged me, just his hands around my neck, a gentle one type. When he was about to withdraw from the hug, I hugged him tightly, wrapping my hands around his waist firmly and resolutely, as if never wanting to let him go.

He was surprised at this gesture and took a minute to respond, before pulling me even closer to him and placing his chin on my head, patting my back, having me securely safe between his muscular arms.

I closed my eyes, trying to feel the warmness, of his hug. I wanted to stay like this forever; safe and secure in his arms; this was my only favourite place in the entire world. Right now, his arms felt like that calm before a storm.

"You'll come back, early right?" I asked childishly, tears almost threatening to fall from my eyes. This eerie fear that had taken birth today was filling me with an unknown epitome of anxiousness.

"Of course, I will!" Sahil said consolingly, stroking my hairs, "It's just a two-day trip, Ayesha. I'll be back in a finger's snap."

At this, my hands wrapped along his torso more stubbornly as I snapped my eyes shut, only for a single stupid tear to emerge silently, and get disappeared into my curly tresses. I instantly felt guilty and mad at myself for not spending time with him the two days before.

"I will miss my flight if you don't leave me now, Ayesha." Sahil chuckled lightly, and I immediately released my hands. I didn't look up and kept my gaze down, else Sahil would have recognised my tears and would demand an explanation which I can't give him. I can't tell him why I am feeling so ridiculously childish at the moment.

Pretending to brush away a strand of hair, I wipe away the wetness from my cheekbones. I look at his already smiling face and force a smile.

"So... Happy journey!" I say, trying to sound cheerful and he stood on his toes, and raised his chin, glancing my house from behind as if looking out for something.

"What's wrong?" I asked, following his gaze.

As an answer, he turned to me, and his eyes shone with a mischievous gleam, and he gave me a playful smile. Before I could ask what that meant, I am slammed to the car, and caged by his muscular arms. He tilted his head sideways and gave a roguish grin.

"Can I borrow a kiss? I swear, I will give it back to you!" He said playfully.

I gave an amused laugh, before slapping his chest lightly, "Eww... Very bad, Sahil. Please think of something else next time."

"Oh, I definitely will. But only if you answer my question, " he winked, leaning forward to nuzzle his nose with mine.

I smiled and leaned back willingly on the car, my palms folded behind, one atop of the other, caressing the sleek car, and closed my eyes, slowly, watching him draw closer through my half-closed lids.

His lips instantly accost mine; in a gentle bewitching manner, almost waiting for me to respond. The refreshing and the soothing touch of his lips, virtually manage to sweep away all horrible thoughts. The warmth of his lips trying to neutralise the iciness of my insides.

His hands move forward to caress my cheeks, and I let him run eerie circular patterns as he did so, and my heart instantly begins a dance, almost dancing to his tunes.

As he rescinds after a particularly long and a bewitching kiss; he smiles dazzlingly at me. I return the smile; which so automatically formed on my lips at this moment.

Cupping my cheeks, he leans once more, to touch his forehead with mine; both our eyes closed as we steady our erratic breathing. I feel his fingers trace one of the jade earrings; he gifted me quite long ago.

Gently kissing my forehead, he stepped back, placing a gap between us, and I came to stand adjacent to him.

"Hey! You totally forgot!" He said, hastening to the passenger seat and extracting the neatly folded rose-bronze dress I had worn for the party yesterday, and gave it to me. The glittery dress glimmered in the sunlight, reflecting light.

"Oh yeah!" I said, tapping my head, foolishly, and taking hold of the dress.
Giving me a nod and a goodbye smile, Sahil walked to the driver seat. All seemed to happen in a slow-motion;

The realisation that he was walking away... The consciousness that he was going far away from me... The awareness that I shall have to remain in his absence for two whole days... The steady rising of macabre feelings in my heart... All the trivial things seemed to be of great importance now.

I watched him approach the seat and place his hand on the handle. Sliding his fingers beneath the handle, he pulled it open. He kept his hand top of the window as he moved to take his seat.

"Sahil?"

The voice came out from me automatically without warning. And so did all the emotions attached with it. He looked at me, genuinely surprised and smiled, raising his eyebrows. I stared at him, my eyes remaining fixed to him, as tears blurred my vision. I gripped the glittery dress, my fingers holding it tightly.

I didn't know why I was feeling so eerie since morning, why all the horrible thoughts we're taking birth inside especially today, why I was feeling so battered at this moment; why I was increasingly feeling the dampness in my eyes. He was just standing a few feet away from me, but I felt an invisible sheet of glass had separated the pair of us.

"Ayesha?" He called in a resonant voice, and I am aware that he is waiting for me to say why I stopped him. "You wanted to tell something?" He asked,

I open my mouth, but no words emerge. I know that he is looking at me strangely, and if I didn't act early, he would get suspicious.

Forcing a bright smile, I shook my head. I raised my right hand to my shoulder distance and waved. He chuckled and did the same before taking his seat.

Putting his seatbelt, he looked at me once before, taking a reverse and then paused abruptly before wheeling out of the deserted road.

I brought my hand down and stared at the deserted road for a long time; where Sahil just left.

I felt a tiny part of my soul, disengaged and separated; away from me to Sahil Malhotra...

******

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.3K 311 23
(*Don't judge a book by its cover or description read the book then judge it, and I'm sure you'll like it. ) "And someone has to fill this empty spac...
513K 19.3K 69
SHRANAV OBEROI - 27 yrs CEO of Shriar & co. A tall, well built , handsome man, has anger issues, to arrogant known as the devil in his office. Loves...
594K 64.6K 24
"You are my heart, Aira. So be careful when you think of breaking it. It may result in your collapse." ------- .Λšβ‚Šβœ§β‚ŠΛš. -------- **This is a DARK roma...
498K 27.3K 105
If you're looking for a typical hot and handsome hero, then go ahead, read the story. But, if you're expecting a typical romance story - to bad, this...