The Great King -「大王様」

By seekrett

Oikawa Tooru is the well-known volleyball captain and setter. With his skills, he clearly had nothing else bu... More

Work of Fiction
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Details for Epilogue

Chapter 9

760 41 11
By seekrett

あの時
That Time

-x-

Before the summer training camp, Karasuno High lost to Aoba Johsai High during the Inter-High preliminaries. It was highly celebrated by the team, but when the match with Shiratorizawa came up, the team's spirit rolled downhill.

Ushiwaka was standing straight up, using only his eyes to look down at Oikawa, whose whole body made contact with the hardwood floor. His head was raised, looking back at Ushiwaka with the most intense gaze he's ever made. His limbs shook as he got back on his feet. His veins were clearly visible in his arm as he weakly swayed into stability.

Ushiwaka stayed stoic. He has a strong demeanor and a fierce aura, but Oikawa's not going to back down from that. His height, power, and skills, aren't enough to stop Oikawa from getting better.

Aoba Johsai is not going to back down!

"イケイケ!オ。イ。カ。ワ!(Go go! O-i-ka-wa!)" It didn't matter if I was straining my voice, I need to help Oikawa get back on his feet. The rest our schoolmates echoed my cheer and the boys on the bench looked our way, but not the ones on the court. That's the way. Just keep your eyes on your opponent, guys.

I glanced to Shiratorizawa's side and found Shirabu staring at me. His face was straight and calm. It took a second before the corner of his lips tugged up a bit, and I noticed that it caught Oikawa's attention.

Sorry Shirabu. We're friends, but Aoba Johsai is my school.

"青葉城西の女が青葉城西に所属 (Aoba Johsai's girl belongs to Aoba Johsai.)"

I'm sorry Oikawa, for that one time I wore Shirabu's volleyball jacket. I'm not gonna disgrace our school like that again. I'm all for Aoba Johsai.

The school's cheer echoed in the gym, but I could no longer push myself. The scene that I was watching was a nail-biter. It was the second set and Aoba Johsai was at 23 points. We have a chance to win. But Shiratorizawa isn't going to back down. I know. Just from a quick glance from Shirabu. That short second is enough for him to tell me that they're going to win this.

Grey images of the team's condition whenever they lost to Shiratorizawa flashed in my head. No, they won't go through that phase again. It's enough! Seijoh. Push through!

"信じてよ!青城ー!(I believe in you! Seijoh—!)"

I have no idea how my cheers will contribute to their match, but I couldn't stop myself from yelling that either. Whether I like it or not, the familiar feeling is building up inside me.

I'm nervous.

"おい、夕暉!落ち着くいて!(Oy, Sekki! Calm down!)" Yui shook me.

Time slowed down when Ushiwaka jumped up on their side of the net. Shirabu's toss was perfect. The ball positioned right in Ushiwaka's hand. Our team had an opening. Watari must've predicted it and he was able to make it just in time to keep the ball back in the air.

Our team was in a state of panic. I can hear their chaotic thoughts in my head. Take it easy. Please. You'll get this set.

"岩ちゃん!(Iwa-chan!)" The ball travelled so fast I wasn't able to keep up.

Iwaizumi flew up the net and, from his position, was going to hit a cross. My eyes glanced at Shiratorizawa and found Tendou rushing to block Iwaizumi.

"ダメ!(Don't!)" My hands were rooted to the railings. I was losing the pace of my breath.

That lethal sound.

That lethal sound of the ball hitting the hardwood flooring. That one hard land. My heart stopped. The ball's consecutive bounces gained speed as it slowly lost its motion. Finally, the referee's whistle blew, and the flags pointed down on our side of the court. The crowd went wild, but our side didn't.

"夕暉!(Sekki!)"

I ignored Yui's call. Right after the greeting, my feet ran as fast as they could down the gym so that I could meet them.

Please be okay..

No, fuck it. They're not okay. And that's okay. I'll be there. Just wait. Don't break down please.

My track only stopped when I found the team exiting the door. They all kept a strong facade. Crazy, you guys can't hold that for too long.

"及川!(Oikawa!)" I ran towards him and embraced him tight. He was sweaty, but I didn't mind. He has to let this out.

Oikawa's stiff shoulders lowered down, as his head slowly made its way to the crook of my neck. His arms circled behind me. I was a little shocked when he pulled me in abruptly. However, the moment I felt my shoulder get wet, all the strength I accumulated vanished.

His back shook as he cried quietly. His sobs were muffled, but the team could hear it. I scanned their looks one by one. Iwaizumi was tearing up as for the rest, some were trying their hardest to hold back their tears, some were quiet. Hiding isn't going to be good for them. Trying to stop yourself from crying is a heavy burden on the chest.

"皆んな (Everyone.)" Their heads lifted a little once I got their attention. Listen well, guys. "もっと強くなって (Become stronger.)" I'm proud of you guys, really. But I'm not going to say that in this bad timing. I know you guys don't want to hear those words. That's why I'm asking you guys, to become stronger.

Some of the members who were holding back their tears finally let it go, Iwaizumi was crying quietly just like Oikawa.

Oikawa..

His position hasn't changed from earlier and neither has his state. Slowly, I rubbed his back to calm him.

"俺たちは。。(We...)" I heard Oikawa's shaking voice. "また負けた (Lost again.)" From what I can tell now, he's not going to calm down anytime sooner.

My eyes found Shiratorizawa who just exited from the door far from us, but they were close enough for me to see their faces clearly.

Ushiwaka was as stone as ever, Tendou was unreadable, Semi was concerned, and Shirabu, looked at me with his eyelids lowered, as if he's disappointed in me. That was the last that I saw of them before they turned their back on us to leave.

Aoba Johsai lost to Shiratorizawa again, 0:2. It's not an embarrassment when you know how close Aoba Johsai always got to winning a set point. I like to think that Shiratorizawa is just always lucky, but I know deep down, they're winning those sets by skill, and not luck.

--

My phone was quiet from Oikawa and Kageyama Tobio. Shirabu's last mail was about how I didn't need to have Oikawa cry on my shoulder after the match. I didn't reply to him. Not because I'm bitter about our loss, but because I'll feel guilty. In my head, it feels like I'm betraying the team. I'm sure Shirabu understands that.

"及川さん。。(Oikawa-san..)" He finally called.

The line was quiet for awhile. When he spoke, it was almost as if it's been a whole year without me hearing his voice. "らめん欲しい?(You want ramen?)"

And so, we ended up in a ramen place later that day. I could tell that his spirit was still down, but he's calmer now. Unfortunately, I can't calm down until he does. It must be hard to experience first-hand, loosing to Shiratorizawa over and over again, and knowing that your best friend is close with their setter too.

I suddenly feel bad. But damn, I can't just cut ties with Shirabu because of that.

Woah, I didn't even expect myself to think of that. Is our situation now that bad for me to consider it?

"次の試合は春高、だね?(The next match is the Spring Inter-High, right?)" Oikawa started. I hesitated to reply, but I think he heard my shaky voice enough already. His eyes turned to mine fiercely, like something inside him awakened. "勝つたら、キスして(If we win, kiss me.)"

My hand involuntarily hit his back in surprise. He let out a low moan of pain. I'm sorry.

"いいよ(Fine.)"

All the pain written in his face just now, disappeared, gone. His expression now can't be read until it slowly turned lively. "マジか?!(Seriously?!)" Oikawa got up his chair. Oh my goodness, he's gonna cause a scene. He raised both his arms open in the air and declared, "俺たちは勝!春高!(We'll win the Spring Inter-High Tournament!)"

He drained his energy right after I agreed to his deal. When he brought me back to my house, he looked so exhausted, I couldn't help but to invite him in.

We were both in my room then. His weight dropped on my pink comforter. Oikawa's spreading his scent all over it, damn. Although, it did seem that he was decently trying to rest. I laid down beside hum, propping my upper body up by resting my chin in the palm of my hand.

His face looked innocent as he rested. My fingers brushed his hair gently, and I slowly hummed a song until I transitioned to singing its lyrics as well.

I thought he was asleep until he opened his eyes at the end of my song and commented, "君の声が素敵だな、いつも通りだ (Your voice is really beautiful, just like always.)"

My lips returned the smile on his on its own. I guess, a behaved Oikawa like this is not so bad.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

129K 3.5K 39
𝒹𝓇𝑜𝓋𝑒 𝓉𝒽𝓇𝑜𝓊𝑔𝒽 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓈𝓊𝒷𝓊𝓇𝒷𝓈 ☽༓・*˚⁺‧͙ .・。.・゜✭・.✫・゜・。. 𝐢 𝐬𝐭𝐢𝐥𝐥 𝐟𝐮𝐜𝐤𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐥𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐲𝐨𝐮 story b...
122K 2.9K 20
✰-,✎*ೃ༄ ▎ 𝗦𝗨𝗠𝗠𝗘𝗥 𝗖𝗔𝗠𝗣. Three high school volleyball teams from Japan, their managers, and their coaches are all on a summer camp in one...
367K 15.9K 41
It's bad enough you're taken by the enemy, but it just gets worse from there when you're now supposed to be attached at the hip to one of the Devils...
32.2K 1.5K 15
𝘵𝘰 𝘭𝘪𝘷𝘦 __________________ ׂׂૢ་༘࿐ ⓘ angst, mature themes ©haruichi furudate | © ryuken-