Never Letting Go [Being Edite...

By innocentuniverse

They were the best of friends when they were little. But at the age of ten, one moved away. Now, seven years... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
IMPORTANT AUTHOR'S NOTE! NOT AN UPLOAD!
Chapter 21
~Epilogue~
~Epilogue: Part 2~
GREAT NEWS! :D
THANK YOU! {author's note}
Author's Note

Chapter 22

7.1K 152 45
By innocentuniverse

*not edited*

Chapter 22

My eyes fluttered open as a chuckle sounded from next to me. I rubbed my eyes before looking up at Shane who was laying next to me, smiling.

I smiled back, thinking about how cute he looked at the moment.

"Thanks," he said, smiling.

Thanks for what?, I thought.

"Saying I'm cute," he stated, a smirk on his face.

My eyes widened as I realized I was saying my thoughts out loud.

"Yes, you are."

My cheeks heated up as I buried my face in his chest, hoping to get rid of the bright tomato color on my cheeks.

Shane chuckled, his chest rumbling beside me as he wrapped his arms around me and kissed my head.

"You're too cute," Shane said as he tilted my head up, making me look at him.

He then planted his lips on mine, our eyes fluttering closed. I wrapped my arms around his neck as his grip on my waist tightened, the kiss becoming deeper.

A soft moan escaped from the back of his throat and I pulled away, smirking.

"Sorry, it's time for breakfast," I shrugged before dashing out of the room.

"Evie!" Shane yelled as he shot out of the bed and began chasing me.

I screamed before erupting into laughter as I ran through the kitchen and out the door. I began running down the strip of sand, passing by all the lovely beach houses.

But I was terrible at pacing myself which meant that I began to slow down, my breathing turning into pants, begging for air.

Shane, however, knew how to pace himself and caught up to me as he picked me up and swung me around. I shrieked before smiling as he put me down, keeping me hostage in his arms, my body pressed against his.

"That wasn't very nice, Ms. Haywood," he warned, placing his forehead on mine.

"Well, who said I wanted to play nice?" I asked.

"Now you'll have to suffer the consequence," he said, smirking.

"Oh really?" I asked, challenging him.

His hand shot out and attacked my stomach as I squirmed around in a fit of giggles.

"Yeah, really," Shane said.

"You jerk!" I yelled in between fits of laughter.

Finally, he stopped tickling me and I let out a sigh of relief.

"So..." Shane said as he pulled me close to him again.

"I'm only doing this to keep from being tickled again, okay?" I stated, a smile on my lips.

Shane rolled his eyes before leaning in, meeting me halfway. Our lips moved in sync and I loved every single second of it. Why couldn't I have had this years ago?

When we pulled away, my stomach growled and Shane chuckled. "Now it's time for breakfast."

[][][][][]

The doorbell rang as I shot up from the couch and dragged myself over to the front door.

Alex was on the other side, his hair all tousled, small bags under his eyes. He also had a huge bruise on his jaw from the party.

I winced at the sight of it. "Ouch! Did you ice it?" I asked, stepping aside to let him in.

He walked into the house and I shut the door before walking into the living room.

He nodded as he collapsed onto the couch beside me. "Destiny's been taking care of me. Honestly, I'm fine. I mean it hurt like a bitch but, it doesn't hurt that much. However, Destiny doesn't believe that so she makes me ice it for ten minutes and then keep the ice off for twenty minutes. Then, the cycle just keeps repeating."

"Well, she cares about you. There's nothing wrong with that," I said. "Plus, I'd be worried, too, if my boyfriend got hit hard like that."

"Speaking of boyfriend," Alex said, "where's Shane?" He asked.

"He's with Jake. And he's not my boyfriend!"

Alex rolled his eyes before changing the topic. "Did he tell you?"

I gulped, thinking about the terrible events. I nodded as I twiddled my thumbs. "Yeah, he did. Cass was right; he was in our secret place. But he was such a wreck that I didn't have him tell me. He told me yesterday and then we ended up staying at the beach house overnight. We just came back a few hours ago."

Alex nodded. "So, is he going back to school or no..?"

"What do you mean 'back to school'?" I asked.

Alex looked at me in confusion before giving me a small smile. "Evie, when that was going on, Shane skipped school a lot. But then, he just dropped out. He didn't go last year or the year before. The first year, he had a tutor but he had anger problems so he stopped that. Now, he does nothing for his education. But I don't think he needs it anyways; he's actually really smart."

"Well, I hope he goes back."

"He will. Trust me," Alex said.

"How do you know?" I asked, raising an eyebrow at him.

"Please, Evie. It's obvious. You're going to school here this year which means he's bound to go back, even if its just to make sure no one takes you," Alex replied.

I blushed, playing with my thumbs again.

Alex, being a good friend, decided to change the topic. But it wasn't exactly something I wanted to talk about.

"Have you told him?" Alex asked, now serious.

"Alex, I-I can't. What am I supposed to say? Plus, he's finally happy now. If I tell him, he's going to go into his anger stage again and I can't let that happen."

"But at the same time, you can't lie to him."

"Alex-"

"Just think about it, Evie. I'm sure you'll find out what to do. And honestly, the way you act, you would've thought it never happened," he replied

I looked outside, sighing. "I just don't want to ruin anything. Everything's so perfect," I said.

"Evie, nothing will ever be perfect. And if it is, then we all know something bad is bound to happen right after."

I didn't say anything as I took a deep breath and continued to stare outside.

Alex placed a hand on my knee, forcing me to look at him. When I did, he gave me a small smile that I returned.

"I have to go now because Destiny will get mad if I don't get back in time to ice this. Plus, she's watching Lily and Josh. But I promise you that you'll find out the right answer, okay?"

I nodded before giving him a hug goodbye. I slumped against the couch in defeat.

What was I going to do?

[][][][][]

"So, are you going back to school this year?" I asked as I placed a spoonful of ice cream in my mouth.

Shane stopped walking along the pier and looked at me in confusion before giving a light laugh. "Well, that was random," he said before walking again. "Why would you ask that?"

"I don't know. Alex was telling me earlier that you dropped out of school, had a tutor for one year, and then gave up on your education. He then said that you might come back considering the fact that this year, I'll be there and you won't want anyone to take me," I said, saying the last part teasingly.

"What would Alex know?"

"You know, you do owe him an apology for that hard punch the other night. When I saw him, his jaw was majorly bruised," I said to Shane.

Shane huffed as he shoved more ice cream in his mouth. He swallowed it before answereing, "Yeah, I know."

"And you're going to," I told him.

Shane rolled his eyes. "Yes, mother."

"Last time I checked, people don't kiss their mothers the way you kiss me," I joked.

Shane smirked. "Well, I have a different relationship with her, then, I guess," he said before pecking my lips.

I smiled at him and shook my head, not believing that this was all true. That I had Shane back to his normal self and thanks to me, he might just be going back to school and getting his life back on track.

We finished our ice cream and threw the containers and spoons in the trash before beginning to walk back to the car.

"Speaking of parents," I began. "Have you talked to yours?"

Shane looked at the ground, kicking a pebble as he walked. "Yeah, years ago. I don't even know where they are," Shane said.

I frowned as he unlocked the car and we hopped in. "Do you plan on finding them or anything?"

Shane answered immediately. "Nope. Not one bit. They left me and never came back. They didn't make any effort to, either. For all they know, I could be dead right now. Sometimes, I think about finding them or whatever, but then it's replaced by anger. I even try putting myself in their shoes but that just makes it a thousand times worse because I never would've left."

I gave Shane a weak smile as we stopped at a red light. "I'm sorry for leaving," I said.

Shane gave me an incredulous look as he intertwined our fingers together. "Evie, it's not your fault that your dad got a good job oppurtunity. Plus, you were too little to have a say."

I shook my head as the light turned green and we began moving again. "No, but I could've done something. I mean, I acted as if I loved L.A. when I really didn't because it wasn't here. Because I didn't have my best friend with me. I acted like that to make my parents happy and maybe if I hadn't done that, I would've been back years ago."

"Evie, it's fine. Honestly, I'm glad you weren't here years ago. It saved you from feeling all the pain and seeing me as a giant mess."

"But if I was here-"

"The past is the past. And all that matters now is that you're here," Shane said as we parked in my driveway. Leaning over, he kissed my lips. I kissed him back, loving the feel of his lips on mine before pulling away, not wanting my parents to catch us. Then it'd just be awkward.

"Hey," Shane said, tilting my chin up so I looked into his beautiful eyes. "Smile."

I smiled at him and he chuckled. "That's better," he replied before getting out of the car.

I followed after him and we headed inside the house, going to the kitchen where my mom was at the counter reading a magazine and having a glass of juice.

"Hey, did you guys have fun wherever you two went?" my mom asked.

"Yeah, we went down to the pier. We went on some rides and then got some ice cream before heading back," I answered as I poured a glass of juice for myself.

"Well, that's good. I'm thinking of having a cookout tomorrow. What do you think? We can invite the family and you can invite Alex and his family and his girlfriend can come, too, if she wants. So can Cass," my mom told me.

I nodded, taking a sip of my juice. "That'd be really good. I'll text them and see if they can come."

"And Shane, you can bring Jake."

"He'll be there," Shane said, smiling.

My eyebrows pulled together as I looked at Shane. "You didn't even text him or anything."

Shane chuckled. "Please, Evie. There's going to be food. Jake will be here."

I laughed, shaking my head at him. Placing my empty cup in the sink, I gave my mom a kiss on the forehead before walking out of the kitchen, Shane trailing behind me.

Upstairs in my room, I grabbed my phone and texted Alex and Cassidy, asking them if they wanted to come. I made sure to tell Alex that he could bring his family and Destiny as well.

A few minutes later, I got a reply from both saying that they'd be able to come. Cass said she might be late but she'll still make it.

I quickly replied before placing my phone back on my dresser and turning around, looking at Shane. "So, what do you want to do?"

Shane wrapped his arms around my waist and smiled at me before leaning in, our lips connecting again. It never got old. Everytime our lips connected, it felt magical. I used to make fun of my friends and people in movies for acting so stupid. It couldn't possibly felt that way. But it did. And with Shane , I felt it.

I felt like I was in a whole other world. Like it was just us two and I never wanted it to end. I just wanted to stay wrapped up in his arms forever and be able to kiss him endlessly. Even a second long kiss from him brightened my day.

I wrapped my arms around his neck, pulling him closer to me as our bodies pressed up against one another. I could feel the hard planes of his abs under my stomach. He brought one hand up from my waist to tuck a stray piece of hair behind my ear.

The kiss began to get more intense as he tongue slipped into my mouth. I let a soft moan sound from the back of my throat.

Suddenly, his hand slid up under my shirt and I pulled away from the kiss, panting. I closed my eyes, resting my forehead against his as I held his face in my hands.

"Sorry," Shane said.

I shook my head. "No, it's fine. I trust you but I just can't. I'm not ready. Plus, my parents are home so that'd be awkward," I said, trying to lighten the mood.

Shane let out a smile. "Are you sure you don't want them to hear you scream my name?" he asked.

I felt my cheeks heat up as I slapped his arm. "Shut up!" I said before placing my hands on my cheeks.

Shane chuckled, pulling me into his chest as he played with my hair.

I sighed, closing my eyes as I leaned against his chest. I could hear his heart beating fast and I smiled, liking the effect I had on him.

My eyes landed on the book that was placed on my dresser and I froze, remembering my conversation with Alex this morning.

Did I want to tell Shane? I mean, this would only give him one more thing to worry about. Plus, he was in a happy mood. I didn't want to ruin it.

But he told me what happened to him so it's only fair.

"Shane, I need to tell you something," I said, pulling away from his chest.

Shane noticed my serious tone and frowned. "What's wrong?" he asked, his eyebrows pulled together.

I sighed and walked over to my dresser, opening one of my bottom draws. I dug to the bottom before pulling out the picture and closing my draw. Walking back over to Shane, I didn't speak as I handed it to him. He had sat down on my bed.

It took him a few moments to register what it was. When he did, his eyes went wide.

"Are you-?"

"No," I answered, shaking my head. "I was though."

"But how? When? Who?"

"It was years ago, back in California. It was around the time when everything was happening to you actually. I was fourteen. I- I don't know. My friends and I went to a party and in the beginning, it was fun. Everything was fine. We were dancing and we weren't drinking or anything but other people were and at the end of the night - he just - just came onto me. I didn't know what to do and I couldn't find my friends and he wouldn't stop. And then it was too late.

"I was fourteen. I was too young; I hadn't even lived yet. I found out I was pregnant when I started getting sick in the morning. I stayed home for a few days in a row. My mom said I must've had a stomach bug. Little did she know. I didn't want to have abortion, though. I could never end some innocent child's life. I figured I'd just give it up for adoption. But a few weeks in, I lost it. It was a bittersweet moment. Good that I wouldn't have to go through it but terrible that it died."

Shane didn't say anything for a moment. His face was pale and he had this disbelieving look on his face telling me that I was crazy and it wasn't true. Then, he glanced up at me and I saw something flicker in his eyes. Anger. I told Alex that it was going to ruin everything!

"So technically you were raped?" he asked as he stood up from my bed, his hands balled into fists.

I nodded.

"Do your parents know?" he asked.

I shook my head as a tear let loose. "No, Shane. They don't and they can't. Listen, I know it's a big deal but it's in the past. It was years ago and I really can't. They'll get mad at me and my dad will get so angry-"

"Well one thing's for sure. They'll never leave you."

I looked at Shane and shook my head. "You don't know that. I mean, you of all people should know."

I felt bad saying that but there was really no other way to word it. Luckily, Shane didn't get mad. He just sighed, rubbing his hand over his face before looking at my crying figure.

He opened his arms out wide for me and I walked into them, wrapping my arms around his torso.

"Thank you for telling me," he said.

I didn't answer. I didn't even shake my head. It was silent for a while before Shane spoke again.

"Forget what I said before. The only thing that you can be sure of is that I'll never leave you."

[][][][][]

~Next Day~

"Evie! Get the door!" my mom called from the kitchen. Shane, Jake, and my dad were outside grilling and my mom was in the kitchen preparing food meaning that I was the only one available to get the door.

Getting off the couch, I pocketed my phone as I walked over to the front door and opened it.

I smiled as Chloe attacked me, gripping onto my waist. I laughed, hugging her back. I welcomed my aunts and uncles and all my other cousins like Jackson, Leila, Grace and Jessica.

I said hello to them all as they walked in. When they were all in, I was about to shut the door when I heard my name being called. Looking outside, Alex and his family along with Destiny were walking up to the front door.

I smiled as he opened his arms for a hug. I gave him a big hug. "I told him," I whispered.

"How'd it go?" Alex asked.

"Better than I thought but he did get mad like I said he would," I told Alex.

Alex rolled his eyes, throwing his arm over my shoulder. "Evie, anyone would get mad. All that matters is that it works out in the end," he said.

"Okay, Dr. Phil," I joked.

He chuckled before disappearing into the kitchen and talking to my mom.

"Hey guys!" I said as Joshua and Lily gave me hugs. I hadn't seen them in a while and I honestly missed them.

"Evie!" Joshua yelled, smiling as he hugged me tighter. I laughed, hugging him back. "I missed you guys, too," I said.

I then said hello to Alex's mom, Emily and then Destiny. I hung out with Destiny for a while, talking about mostly Shane and how things were going with him. She listened carefully and then, at the end, I figured I trust her enough to tell her what I told Shane yesterday.

She was shocked but she didn't interrupt. She let me speak.

At the end, she said the same thing Alex had said to me yesterday morning.

"I would've never guessed. I mean, most people I know that go through that start wearing large clothes and begin to look sloppy so that they don't attract attention but you? You wear bathing suits, get guys, go to parties, do wet t-shirt contests-"

"You heard about that?!"

She laughed, nodding. "Yeah, it was pretty funny, actually."

I crossed my arms as a light blush covered my cheeks. "No, it wasn't."

"Aw, you're blushing!" she announced pinching my cheeks.

"I know, right? Isn't it so cute when she blushes?" Alex asked, walking into the room with a chip in his hand.

I narrowed my eyes at them. "You guys are so mean," I said before walking away. But even I couldn't hide the smile on my face.

"Guys! Time to eat!" my mom called.

We all went outside where there was a large table set up. There was a ton of food; cheeseburgers, hot dogs, chicken wings, chips, and much more.

We all sat down at the table, Shane to my right and Destiny to my left. Chloe sat right across from me, smiling brightly. She was way too cute.

Everyone began to fill their plates with whatever they wanted. There were many conversations that erupted whether it was between the grown ups, my cousins, Shane and I, or Joshua trying to flirt with me. Alex found it pretty funny.

After dinner, Shane, Jake, Destiny, Alex, and I helped my mom clean up the table, bringing the dishes inside. There really was no left overs except for chips and some pasta.

We then brought dessert outside. Dessert was an assortment of pie, cookies, cake, and candy, really. I don't think we'll have left overs of dessert, either.

I was talking to Destiny when the sound of glass caught my attention. Everyone looked at Shane who was gently tapping his knife against his glass cup.

My eyebrows furrowed together as I wondered what the hell he was doing.

"I'd like to raise a toast to the Haywood family," he said. "I know you've been here for a while now, but welcome back home!"

Everyone cheered as we all put our cups in the middle, clanking them against each other's before taking a sip of our drink and settling back done.

However, Shane wasn't over.

"Lastly, I have something that I want to do," Shane said.

I looked around. Everyone seemed confused, not knowing what he was doing. Even Jake seemed confused. Then again, he just wanted to enjoy his candy.

We watched as Shane dug through the bowl of candy, looking for something. He smiled as he pulled out a ring pop and unwrapped it.

We then continued to stare as he got down on one knee in front of me.

"Shane- what the- ?" I began.

He chuckled. "Shush, young one."

I laughed at him before waiting for him to continue.

"I don't know if you know it but those seven years without you were absolutely hell. And even when you came back, it still seemed like hell because I didn't allow myself to tell you, scared that I would loose you even though I did. But I guess second time's a charm because I'm not losing you anymore. I know that. So, basically, what I'm trying to say is; would you do me the honor of being my girlfriend?"

I laughed, nodding.

"Okay, you can have this ring pop since it's the same flavor I gave you when we were seven," he said, smiling.

"You remember?" I asked, a smile on my face.

"Of course I remember," he said. "I remember every second I share with you. Especially the one where you said you wouldn't leave."

"And I won't."

He smiled, picking me up and spinning me around before settling me back down on my feet and kissing me passionately. It was the best kiss ever. But sadly, it didn't last long considering that we were in front of a crowd. But I don't think they'd mind considering they were cheering us on. When we pulled away, Shane smiled brightly at me.

"I love you, Evie."

"I love you, too, Shane."

A/N:

Your story is now over. Please proceed to 'boo' and whine about how you want it to go on even though it can't. Thank you.

Lmao, okay well this is the last chapter. I still have to write and post the epilogue but you'll get it some time during the week hopefully.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: PLEASE GO BACK TO NLG CHAPTER LABELED 'IMPORTANT AUTHORS NOTE' AND COMMENT WHAT STORY YOU WOULD LIKE ME TO WRITE NEXT! I REALLY NEED PEOPLE TO COMMENT. THANK YOU!

Okay so since I still have the epilogue, I'll write all that mushy, emotional, thank you shit on there lmaooo. But thanks a ton guys. I love youuu all <3

Please vote, comment, and fan! Thank youuu <3

Love,

~Mother SQuishy. "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming, just keep swimmin', swimmin', swimming."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

393 31 18
I meet a guy named Shane and their is ups and downs along the way. He tells me he loves me but is it true? He has maybe only 7 months to live. And a...
Reunited By Rebecca

General Fiction

260K 10.5K 29
She had always felt like an out cast, she knew her family hated her but she didn't understand why. maybe it was because they never truly wanted her...
Captive{ated} By Gabs

Mystery / Thriller

281K 12K 45
"First you captivated me... then you held me captive." Evelyn was like most college-aged girls working a part-time job when she met Caleb, who came i...
161K 4.6K 22
Seven years ago, Tristan Knight walked away from the love of his life, Serenity Harris, without a word or a backwards glance. No goodbye. No Dear Joh...