BLOOD WARS | D. Targaryen

By sansasrose

Selena Baratheon has nothing but her desire for revenge. The Targaryens took everything from her and she plan... More

summary + cast.
i.
ii.
iii.
iv.
v.
vi.
vii.
viii.
ix.
xi.
xii.
xiii.
xiv.
xv.
xvi.
xvii.
xviii.
xix.
xx.

x.

4.1K 233 21
By sansasrose

BLOOD WARS | X.
SELENA BARATHEON
King's Landing | 300 a.c.

SELENA HAD NEVER EXPECTED A MARRIAGE PROPOSAL, at least not until she returned to the Stormlands. Certainly, Jaime's proposal enticed her, having the backing of Casterly Rock and the great mind of Tywin Lannister, but she couldn't. It wasn't because she didn't like Jaime, he was probably the closest thing to safety and comfort that she had known.

She couldn't say yes to him, it was as simple as that. Rhaegar would never release Jaime from the Kingsguard if he knew that he had the intention of marrying Selena. 

She sighed loudly, gaining the attention of Daenerys who had been sitting across from her. Her violet eyes peer curiously up at Selena and she quickly shifts her gaze elsewhere. She looks at Viserys on the far end of the table, his eyes on Jessamyn who was paying him no mind.

Suddenly away from her thoughts, Selena noticed how silent the breakfast table was. Rhaenys seemed to be glaring in Jon and Daenerys's direction ever so often. Jon seemed more upset than usual, leaving Selena with one question.

What had happened last night?

She knew what had happened to her with Jaime's proposal and her unintentional and rather personal conversation with Daenerys. That didn't explain why Rhaenys would be angry with Daenerys.

Violet eyes land on her again and Selena drops her fork down onto her plate, "Stop looking at me."

The loud clink draws the attention of everyone else at the table, but Selena doesn't care. She wants Daenerys to stop looking at her, or at least be bold enough to speak to her.

"I'm sorry," Daenerys instantly apologizes.

"If you have something to say, then say it," Selena asserts, and Daenerys looks away shyly again.

"I have nothing to say," Daenerys tells her.

"Then why are you looking at me?" Selena asks and Daenerys's cheeks flush, as well as the tip of her ears. Selena doesn't understand why she's so embarrassed, it's a simple question, but the other girl seems to take it as something more. Perhaps she had thought she had been discreet in her staring and had not intended to be called out on it.

"I didn't mean to," Daenerys answers meekly, "I'm sorry."

Tired of hearing Daenerys's apologies, Selena stands from her seat and leaves the dining hall. She's happy when she doesn't hear the steps of her ladies behind her. She wanted to be alone, needed to be.

She had been so stupid last night talking to Daenerys as though the two of them were friends. They were not and yet Selena had almost blurred the lines.

"There you are," Jaime's voice calls out to her. Steffon is beside him, indicating that the brothers had eaten breakfast together that morning, "I've been looking for you since last night."

"Sorry," Selena says, glancing over at Steffon, unsure of what information she's able to disclose, "I just needed to think."

Steffon looks between the two of them, "I'll excuse myself. Is Daenerys in the dining hall? I'd like to talk to her."

"She's in there," Selena tells him and Steffon nods at her before heading to where Selena had just left.

Jaime stares hopefully at her, "Well?"

"Jaime you sprung a proposal on me. Quite frankly I wasn't aware that you were fond of me," Selena tells him, as she walks past him. Jaime follows her, taking several long strides before falling in step with her.

"You can't be serious, Selena," Jaime states, "You're completely aware of my feelings for you."

"Yes, well. I never took it to heart. You're a member of the Kingsguard and you have vows."

"I've broken those vows before," Jaime tells her, "Besides if Rhaegar releases me, then we could be wed."

Selena stops walking and looks at Jaime, "And how do you think Rhaegar will react when he finds out that the man who killed his father and the sister of Robert Baratheon got married?"

"I suppose he wouldn't send a gift," Jaime attempts to joke, but Selena rolls her eyes.

"Your intentions are good Jaime, but I cannot give you an answer. Not today."

Jaime smiles at her, "Tomorrow then?"

"Perhaps once I've returned to the Stormlands, we can discuss it more," Selena tells him and Jaime nods.

"Let us hope that's soon then."

~*~

"I've begun making arrangements for your return to Storm's End," Rhaegar tells her from his seat on the Iron Throne, "I was thinking after Aegon and Margaery's wedding."

Selena raises an eyebrow in surprise, "Really? So soon?"

Rhaegar chuckles, "I thought you had been waiting for this your entire life?"

"I have," Selena answers, standing firmly, "So what are your demands?"

"Pardon?" Rhaegar asks.

"I'm not stupid," Selena tells him, "You want something in return for sending me home."

Rhaegar stands from the Iron Throne and descends the stairs, making his way to Selena. There's a smile on his face as he approaches her, Selena isn't a fool. He's doing this to intimidate her. She has to look up at Rhaegar as he stands directly in front of her.

"I want your loyalty," Rhaegar tells her, "That's it."

Selena smirks as she looks up at Rhaegar, "Are you scared of what might happen if you send me home? Your Grace, I'm just a girl."

Rhaegar points a finger at her, "See that's where everyone makes their mistake. They underestimate you because you tell them to, but I know better than that."

"Do you really?" Selena asks, tilting her head curiously.

"I do," Rhaegar says smiling, showing off a perfect smile, "You know Selena, our fathers were cousins, that means that you have a claim to the throne, distant of course, but still a claim."

"If you think I want your throne, then you're a bigger fool than I thought," Selena tells him.

"Oh no," Rhaegar says, "I know you don't want the throne, but what's to stop me from telling everyone that you tried to steal the throne from my family?"

Selena doesn't understand where Rhaegar is going with this point and it leaves her feeling rather unsettled. He leans closer to her, his mouth right by her ear.

"When I killed Robert and Stannis, I had a reason. And if I need to kill you, then I'll have a reason for that as well," Rhaegar's lips brush her ear as he speaks, sending a shiver down her spine. He pulls away and looks at her, trying to gauge her reaction, but Selena knew better than to show fear.

"You'd go through all that trouble to kill me?" Selena asks, trying to keep her voice from shaking, "I was unaware that I threatened you that much."

"It's not you that threatens me," Rhaegar tells her, "It's what you represent. Robert's failed little rebellion. You know I would have killed you if my mother hadn't been against it. She was the reason I spared you."

Selena had never known that. She hardly remembers Queen Rhaelle. She had been so young when she was brought to King's Landing and the next thing she knew; the Queen was gone, and Daenerys was there. Later she'd learn that Rhaelle had died giving birth.

"You should have killed me when you had the chance," Selena tells him and Rhaegar's eyes light with surprise.

"Is that so?" Rhaegar asks.

"It is," Selena tells him, "Because you will never have an opportunity like the one you had before. I'll ensure that."

Rhaegar smiles widely at her, almost like a predator grinning at prey. It leaves Selena unsettled, hell, the entire conversation left her unsettled. But the smile was unlike any she had seen before. She had presented Rhaegar a challenge and he was excited by it.

"We'll see," Rhaegar tells her, walking back to the throne. He takes a seat, looking down at her, "You're dismissed."

Selena takes a deep breath and turns on her heels. Part of her was thankful for the empty throne room, the other half of her wished that the Kingsguard had been there to prevent the conversation from happening. Rhaegar would have never openly threatened her in front of Ser Arthur or Jaime.

Selena knew the truth of the matter was that she needed Jaime. He was the only one that could protect her.

"Selena?"

She looks up to see Daenerys standing there.

"Thought about what you wanted to tell me at breakfast?" Selena asks and Daenerys opens her mouth only to quickly close it, "I suppose not."

She steps around Daenerys before pausing. She turns around to see that Daenerys had not moved, "Hey," she calls after her.

Daenerys turns and looks at her.

Selena smiles, "Do you want to come with me to the courtyard?"

Daenerys eyes seem to light up as she nods eagerly. Selena and Daenerys silently make their way to the castle courtyard and Selena is pleased when she finds it empty. Wasting no time, she lies down on the green grass and stares up at the sky, watching the clouds slowly move by.

"So you're just lying on the ground?" Daenerys asks softly.

"Yep."

"Do you do this frequently?"

"Nope."

"Oh," Daenerys says. There's a moment, then Selena can hear the shuffling of Daenerys's dress as she lies down beside her. Out of the corner of her eyes, she can see Daenerys watching her.

"Why do you keep looking at me?" Selena asks, turning her head so that she was now looking at Daenerys.

"I don't know," Daenerys answers.

"You know staring is a sign of falling in love," Selena teases, with a smile, "Are you falling in love with me, Daenerys?"

Selena has never seen a moment of panic quite like the one on Daenerys's face. Selena wonders if Daenerys has never heard of the concept of women loving women before and if that is the reason for the frozen look on her face.

"I – how do you know about love?" Daenerys asks timidly.

"Books," Selena answers simply, "Read enough and you'll notice the trends. There's always staring, touch, or lack thereof. Some might say that love is an art of manipulation."

"Some?" Daenerys asks, "Or you?"

"The two are the same," Selena says with a sigh, "Love isn't real. Rhaenys is chasing something that doesn't exist."

"It exists," Daenerys says softly, as though she were hesitant to challenge Selena.

"You would think that," Selena says, looking over at Daenerys, "Tell me, what does your dream knight look like?"

Daenerys rolls her eyes at Selena's teasing. She exhales as she looks up at the clouds, "I don't have a dream knight."

"Prince then?" Selena asks, "Though that would mean you're attracted to Viserys or Aegon."

"I don't have a dream prince either!" Daenerys insists and Selena can't help but laugh. Each of the Targaryens seemed so against marriage to each other, something that had been natural to them for years.

"A commoner then?" Selena asks raising an eyebrow.

Daenerys simply laughs, "No! I don't have a dream person. I think it's impossible to dream of a perfect match. There's never going to be anyone that fits everything you want."

"Very mature of you," Selena says, trying not to sound surprised. She had never expected such an answer from Daenerys. She was certain that the other girl spent her days fantasizing about her future husband.

"There's never going to be someone that's perfect for you. You have to learn to love someone, flaws and all," Daenerys says, tilting her head to look over at Selena. There's a hint of mischief in her eyes, "Do you have a dream knight? You know, despite your disbelief in love."

"No," Selena answers honestly.

Daenerys nods her head before looking back up at the sky, a dreamlike smile on her face as she stares up at the sky, "I think when people fall in love, they know instantly. Like you see the other person and you wonder how you spent your entire life without them."   

"Fascinating," Selena deadpans, "Is that what Rhaegar felt when he saw Lyanna?"

"Perhaps," Daenerys says, "He doesn't really like to talk about her."

Selena sits up, leaning on her arm as she looks at Daenerys. That was the second time someone had told her that Rhaegar didn't like talking about his relationship with Lyanna. Had the two ever really been in love? Why had she run away with him?

Daenerys looks up at her, pushing herself on to her elbows, "What is it?"

"Do you think Rhaegar ever loved Lyanna or Elia?" Selena asks, genuinely curious to hear Daenery's opinion. If anyone knew Rhaegar the best it was Daenerys or Jon Connington, but Selena didn't have access to the King's hand.

"I don't know," Daenerys answers, "He hardly speaks fondly of either. Maybe at some point he had loved them, but certainly not now."

That intrigued Selena. If he hadn't loved Lyanna, then what drove him to marry her? There was no way she could manipulate Rhaegar into marrying her, besides Lyanna didn't seem like the power-hungry type.

"Why do you believe in love?" Selena asks, "There's so much that says you shouldn't, yet you choose to believe."

Daenerys smiles at her, long silver hair falling into her face, "You didn't see Viserys last night. He's so lovestruck by Jessamyn that he said he'd marry her if it meant that she would speak with him."

Selena doesn't understand, "That just means he's dumber than I thought."

Daenerys laughs this time, "No it doesn't. It means that Viserys has found someone worth fighting for. That is what love is about."

"Sounds terrible," Selena tells her, "I do hope Viserys comes to his senses soon."

"You'll fall in love someday," Daenerys tells her, and Selena openly scoffs at the idea. She could never open herself in such a way that she could be in love. It required vulnerability, lack of control, and Selena could never allow that.

"The day I fall in love is the day that I drive a dagger into my chest. Or throw myself off of a cliff. Either way, I cannot continue to live if that happens to me," Selena shakes her head at the thought. Definitely not.

Daenerys eyes widen in horror, "You would seriously do that?"

"Yes!" Selena says, "To fall in love seems like a far more torturous fate than death."

"And why's that?" Daenerys asks, "Because you have to actually let someone in?"

Selena narrows her eyes at Daenerys, "I let people in."

Daenerys laughs softly and it makes Selena feel insecure. What was so funny about what she had said?

"In the last two days I've learned more about you than in the last seventeen years that I've known you," Daenerys tells her.

"Well I didn't like you before," Selena says. She still had her qualms with Daenerys. The girl was far too unaware of how the world worked around her, but that wasn't her fault, that was Rhaegar's. Though it was true, her hatred for Daenerys had lessened. She would even go as far as to call them acquaintances.

Daenerys blushes at the admission before smiling at her, "So I have a hypothetical situation. What if Ser Jaime told you that he was in love with you?"

Selena freezes. She's speaking hypothetically, of course, but the territory had crossed into something a little too real for Selena.

"Seems like his problem, not mine," Selena mutters, "Besides, he's a Kingsguard. He'd never openly confess to me."

That had been a lie.

"Do you wish to remain alone forever?" Daenerys asks curiously and Selena shrugs, as she grips the grass, tugging strands loose from the ground.

"No, perhaps I may steal some dragon eggs and hatch them myself," Selena teases and Daenerys feigns a gasp.

"You wouldn't!"

"I wouldn't," Selena smiles innocently as she looks at Daenerys, "Or would I?"

"There you are!" Selena looks up to see Ashara rushing toward her. Selena stands up and Daenerys does as well. They meet Ashara halfway, "A raven was sent to the castle."

"What kind of raven?" Selena asks.

"Threats," Ashara says, lowering her voice, "Against the royal family."

"What did it say?" Daenerys asks and Ashara shakes her head.

"I'm not sure," she says. Her eyes move to Daenerys, "King Rhaegar has it. You should go see him."

Daenerys nods, she glances sadly at Selena before heading toward the castle, picking up the bottom of her skirts as she ran.

"Do we know who it's from?" Selena asks Ashara and she nods.

"In the last letter my parents sent me, there's been unrest in the Stormlands. They're angry about you," Ashara voices, "You're of age to return and they believe that Rhaegar is keeping you, prisoner."

"That's because he is," Selena says, "He told me that seventeen years ago he was going to kill me, but his mother stopped him."

"Why tell you that?" Ashara asks.

"Because he wants my unconditional loyalty," Selena smiles, getting a sudden idea, "However this could be used to our advantage. I like the idea of the Targaryens being scared."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10.7K 315 14
Helaena Targaryen was the last Targaryen alive, or at least Jaime Lannister thought when he held the babe in his arms, telling his beloved sister of...
7K 328 26
โ˜… THE LAST DRAGON, maelys targaryen โ˜† THE HISTORIAN, kyra baratheon โ˜… THE BETTER BROTHER, rylon baratheon โ˜† THE FEARLESS, kiren lannister โ˜… THE VALIA...
141K 4.6K 53
๐˜ž๐˜ฆ ๐˜ธ๐˜ฆ๐˜ณ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ต๐˜ฐ๐˜ฐ ๐˜ค๐˜ญ๐˜ฐ๐˜ด๐˜ฆ ๐˜ต๐˜ฐ ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ด๐˜ต๐˜ข๐˜ณ๐˜ด IN WHICH Helaena Targaryen, Younger sister to Daenerys Targaryen and Viserys, After Roberts's...
111K 2.6K 11
๐˜ช๐˜ฏ ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฏ๐˜ฅ, - ๐—๐—๐–พ๐—‚๐—‹ ๐—…๐—ˆ๐—๐–พ ๐–ฝ๐—‚๐–ฝ๐—‡'๐— ๐—Œ๐–บ๐—๐–พ ๐—๐–พ๐—‹. ยฉ๐˜ฆ๐˜ค๐˜ญ๐˜ช๐˜ฑ๐˜ค๐˜ฆ๐˜ช๐˜ด