Blind Date Gone Wrong (WayHau...

By loggiepj

[HIGHEST RANK #1 - wayhaught - August 2020 #13 - #rainbow - May 2020 #1 - #waverly - June 2020 #1 - #nicoleh... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Epilogue
ANNOUNCEMENT : ebook

Chapter 10

4K 119 36
By loggiepj

Weeks later, lunchtime
Library, University of Alberta

Nicole noticed Waverly had been leaving her packed lunch again every morning and she had never been happier. The redhead had also started eating them, only then realizing how amazing of a cook was Waverly. She immediately regretted how she'd been avoiding her food before.

The feelings Nicole had towards the brunette intensified through the days that follow. She was hopelessly in love with Waverly and she couldn't help but feel worried where this would get her.

Waverly had been nice to her since then. Actually, they had been nice to each other. Although, they didn't interact that much, she could tell that Waverly was now becoming less than a stranger and more of a friend.

That's why Nicole ended up in the library again, trying to catch up with what she had missed updating in her draft. She hadn't even made progress ever since Waverly had started acting nice towards her. Maybe she really does only write when she's depressed, Nicole thought.

Saturday, late afternoon
Nicole's bedroom

Realizing that she's way past her promised deadline to Professor Dolls, Nicole took the day off one Saturday and continued where she left off on her manuscript. She spent her entire day in her bedroom, typing one word after another on her laptop. When her hands started hurting, Nicole would pause and massage her wrists. Then after a moment or two, she would continue typing again.

The sky outside now looked a bit tinged in red from the sunset. Nicole suddenly stopped as she heard a soft knock on her door. Then a beautiful brunette peered inside, smiling.

"Hi, Nicole." The redhead's stomach did a backflip.

"Hey, Waverly," Nicole greeted, pausing on her laptop.

"Are you busy?" Waverly asked as she waltzed inside the redhead's bedroom. The brunette's eyes travelled to the photos the redhead had on her bedside table.

Quickly saving her work then closing her laptop, Nicole answered, "It depends on why you're asking."

Waverly turned to look at her, the skin around her eyes creases when she smiled. It was a wonderful sight to Nicole.

"I have Yo Yo Ma concert tickets for tonight and Chrissy bailed on me again because she met this guy named Fish. Funny guy, actually. And Wynonna's not in town at the moment... Do you want to go with me?"

Nicole could tell Waverly was rambling nervously as she stated the purpose of her visit in the redhead's bedroom. She stared at her, not because she was confused but because Waverly was one beautiful girl. And Nicole would take any opportunity just to steal a good glance at her. "A Yo Yo Ma concert?"

"He's an amazing and very talented musician. I have always dreamed seeing him perform live. Even though, I have honestly seen his concert videos online but I know it would be different in person.

"I'd never expect him to visit Edmonton of all towns in Canada. So I bought these tickets months ago before high school graduation," Waverly replied. "And now here we are."

"And you want me to go with you?" Nicole clarified, as if she didn't understand in the first place.

Waverly nodded.

"Like a date?" Nicole dragged on, smirking.

Waverly immediately shook her head. "No, no, of course not, in no way of a date, if that makes you uncomfortable, it's okay, I can go on my own..."

Nicole should feel hurt but she decided to laugh about it. "Sure, Waverly. I'll go with you. As long as you also treat me to dinner afterwards."

The redhead had never seen Waverly's red smiling face up close before. Nicole had never realized how strong she was to fight the urge to kiss the brunette until that moment.

"Promise," Waverly squealed.

Four hours later
Edmonton concert hall

"That was amazing! Ahhh!!" Waverly was jumping on her seat as the show ended and the crowd had slowly dispersed to exit the venue. "Thank you for coming with me, Nicole."

Nicole could only stare at her, a small smile on her face. Then she realized the brunette had been staring back at her then on her mouth. But she could only be imagining things.

She wished she could just grab Waverly and kiss her every time the brunette would give her that look. But they had just started being friends and she didn't want to ruin that.

Yo Yo Ma did a spectacular concert. One man, one cello, two hours and fifteen minutes of Bach. It was such an extraordinary event. Nicole didn't expect she'd enjoy the concert as much as the brunette.

But seeing her happy like this, just like the same when Waverly's eyes lit up about Archaeology, Nicole knew she'd give up everything for her.

Waverly even got crazier when she got to accidentally meet Yo Yo Ma in person and had her handkerchief signed by the musician himself.

An hour later
Vegan café in Edmonton

"Mmm, this is so good," Waverly moaned as she munched on her food. Nicole felt something weird inside of her stomach upon hearing such unusual sound from Waverly. She shrugged herself and focused on the food instead.

"I never thought you've never heard of this place. It's one of the top vegan food places in Edmonton," Nicole said as she swallowed another bite of her food.

The tiny vegan cafe was filled up to its brim even at such late hours of the night. But they had managed to secure a table with less than five minutes of waiting.

"I've always done my research ahead of time, even before I set my foot in Edmonton, but who would have known this place serves vegan food after all," Waverly replied, ecstatic.

After a moment of silence, Waverly began to speak. "So, Nicole... since we're already friends... and it's not like I'm prying... but I realize that I don't really know that much about you..

"Why don't you tell me something about yourself?"

Nicole looked at the brunette, amused, as she asked. "Is this part two of our supposed blind date?"

The brunette broke out into laughter. "C'mon, Nic, help me out here. I'm trying not to mess this up."

The redhead knew Waverly was only joking but she wished it was true.

"Okay, I'll tell something about myself if you tell me something about you," Nicole said, as she put down her fork on the table. "But only if you really want to," she quickly added.

"Deal," Waverly said, smiling.

Nicole licked her lips. "Wait. We need to have a safe word in case the question gets too personal?"

"Fine, then. What's the safe word?"

Staring around her, Nicole noticed cherry tomatoes laying on Waverly's plate. "Tomatoes?"

Waverly laughed. "Fine, Tomatoes."

"Okay. Do you want to start?" Nicole asked, after drinking a mouthful of soda.

Waverly took a sip from her drink as she pressed her back into her chair and began.

"Do you have siblings?"

"Only child. How about you? Wynonna wasn't really the chatty type when it comes to her family."

Waverly smiled. "Two half-sisters actually. There's Wynonna, as you already know. And Willa, our eldest."

"Why have I not known about her?"

"Oops, it's my turn to ask," Waverly objected. Then she quickly added, "Also, Tomatoes?"

Nicole nodded at her, respecting her decision.

Waverly went on, "Where were you born?"

"Fort McMurray. Nice town. Most affordable place to live as per survey.." Nicole chuckled. "Why Archaeology?"

"I'm just interested in history ever since I was a little kid. I used to dig around my grandpa's attic and find interesting things in there. His letters to my grandma. His old photos and the meaning behind them. And also... Wyatt Earp was Wynonna's great-great-grandfather."

"Wyatt Earp? The famous lawman and gunslinger?"

"You know your facts," Waverly teased, earning a smile from Nicole. "What were your parents like when they're still.. alive?"

Nicole's smile fell. "You knew?"

"Rosita told me."

"How?"

"I was just upset that night I thought I was going with you to the Writer's program. I thought you were just making an excuse. But then I asked Rosita about it...

"You don't have to answer my question if you don't feel like it. I'm sorry for bringing it up..."

"It's okay, Waves," Nicole replied as she mustered up a smile. "They were cool parents. Fun. Mom was strict. Dad was not. They were... amazing.... That's just what I can remember really.

"And to explain why I ditched that day of the Writer's program. I visited their graves. It was all a last minute decision. I wasn't really intending to go that day. But I couldn't make myself not to. Like I couldn't forgive myself if I didn't."

Waverly reached out for Nicole's hand and squeezed it against hers and it was the most wonderful feeling Nicole had ever had. Talking about what makes her sad but also not being sad at the same time.

"My mother left when I was still young so I really don't remember anything much about her," Waverly began without taking her hand off the redhead's. "She had me out of wedlock, you know. I never knew my father either. She left my mom when I was still in her womb...

"My stepdad, Willa and Wynonna's father, wasn't happy about the affair. That's why they treated me like an outcast, except Wynonna, of course. After my mom left, my stepdad became drunk every night and accidentally killed himself one day.

"So I totally get how you feel.."

Nicole held Waverly's hand back. She didn't know that such beautiful stubborn perfect girl could have so much darkness inside. And Waverly really did an amazing job on hiding it.

The redhead was glad that Waverly was able to share that important part of her life. It was comforting to know the walls built between them were crumbling down and Nicole was finally a somebody to Waverly.

When Waverly finally let go of her hand, Nicole decided not to pursue asking about Willa. She chose to pick a light topic instead to lift up the mood. "If I was Nick with a K, would you have dated me?"

Waverly laughed and relaxed a bit. "It depends.. Actually, when I got to know the real you, you're not so bad yourself. Why did you hate me so much back then?"

The redhead chuckled, remembering their first meeting as if it was still yesterday. Only this time, she was hopelessly in love with the same girl with wavy brown hair and hazel eyes in front of her. "I heard you ranting and ranting with Chrissy, complaining that she set you up with a girl. I thought... I just thought you were disgusted at me.."

Waverly gave an apologetic small smile. "I'm so sorry, Nic. And I wasn't. I was just so shocked and yeah, I was scared to be honest.... But you know, it's not like the thought never crossed my mind."

Nicole wondered what she meant for that bit, but decided not to let her hopes up. "That's okay, Waves. Also, why did you hate me so much then?"

"Umm, because you quickly jump into conclusions... mmmm what else?" Waverly answered, giggling. "Oh, you make fun of me being a vegan, you.. you almost threw my artifact..-"

"Hey, to be honest, I really had no idea it wasn't just a simple rock." They both laughed this time.

"Well, whatever, it annoyed me big time... and then I start to realize I have not been observant."

"Observant?"

"You're nice in your own way. You didn't cook or eat in our apartment anymore because you were scared I'd get offended. You chose to wake up early on Wednesdays just to respect the bathroom schedule because you have 7am classes as well... and you cared for me when I was with Champ and mean to you...

"Nic, as in N-I-C, you're a nice person, okay?"

Nicole bit her lips to stop smiling from ear to ear so she looked away and laughed. When she stared back at Waverly, the brunette was still looking at her.

"When did you know you were gay?" Waverly asked. Nicole smiled.

"Well, I kind of figured out when I was in grade school," Nicole answered. "There's this girl I liked in class. And I talked about it with my mom back then. And she was so surprised but she told me she kind of knew as well."

"How adorable," Waverly said, giggling.

"It was embarrassing, to be honest," Nicole replied. Then she stopped when Waverly was staring at her and she felt hazel eyes travelled to her lips.

"Well, why don't we call it a night?" Nicole asked, before she'd make a complete fool out of herself. That Waverly had always looked at her that way. And she never realized it until now.

The next Saturday, late night
Wynonna's apartment

Nicole and Waverly were watching About Time on Netflix. They had been doing this since a week ago. And they had agreed to take turns on what to watch for the night.

Tonight was Nicole's turn. So she made Waverly watch the film even though the redhead had seen it a hundred times already.

The brunette's eyes were glued to the screen while her legs propped on Nicole's thighs. Nicole didn't mind it or acted like she didn't mind it. But her heart had been beating furiously inside her chest.

Nicole's phone suddenly chimed and she decided to check it, glancing at Waverly beside her.

Rosita: Nic! This is it! I found the one!

The one? Nicole wondered. It was a Saturday. Rosita could be drunk after work.

Nicole: What are you talking about?

Rosita: I am finally setting you up with a girl.

Nicole almost dropped her phone. She glanced at Waverly but Waverly was still engrossed on the television before them. Her phone chimed again.

Rosita: She's gay. And she said she already knows you. And has been crushing on you ever since.

Nicole's jaw dropped. Someone likes her? She thought. Rosita may only be joking, trying to sugarcoat the invitation. But she couldn't help herself but feel flattered. She's just a normal human being after all.

"Who was that?" Waverly suddenly asked, eyes not leaving the screen.

The redhead shook her head as she placed her phone back to the centertable. "It's just Rosita."

Then Waverly looked at her. "Yeah? Is she coming?"

"No," Nicole quickly answered. "No, she just...never mind."

Then Waverly took the remote and clicked it pause, giggling. "C'mon, what is it?"

"Well, she just set me up with another blind date," Nicole said, sighing.

She regretted telling the truth because the smile fell from Waverly's face for a moment then it was back up as she replied, "Oh, okay... That's good, you know.. In fact, it's about time, anyway."

Nicole couldn't believe what she was hearing but she felt like the brunette sounded happy for her. She could not help but feel slightly disappointed. Of course, Waverly was just Nicole's friend. Nicole was just Waverly's friend. Nothing more than that.

"Why do people keep on saying that? I don't need a date," Nicole interjected.

"Wait, maybe I can help you with your date, you know, what to wear.. where to eat... and most importantly, what to say," Waverly said, now giggling. And nothing hurt Nicole more. "You always tend to say rude things."

"Hey-"

"I mean it," Waverly said, shushing her out then she pointed the remote to the television and pressed play. "Now shut up and let me finish the movie."

Thursday, lunch
Cafeteria, University of Alberta

"I am not going, Rosie, okay?" Nicole stammered. "I don't even know the girl."

"Oh, you'll like her, definitely like her," Rosita said, as she cut the cupcake Waverly had left for Nicole in half.

"I don't, okay... I'm perfectly happy being single...-"

"What's stopping you, anyway? Your book? Or someone with a name that rhymes with perfectly?"

Nicole froze. Of course, her best friend would figure out soon enough she was head over heels with a certain brunette.

"Hey, guys!" Chrissy arrived, placing her food tray on the table. No certain brunette followed her.

"Where's Waverly?" Was the first thing Nicole asked. Good thing, Chrissy didn't think anything from her curiosity. Although Rosita silently chuckled on her seat as she devoured the piece of cupcake with the more icing.

"Oh, Perry is still talking to her in the hallway," Chrissy said cheerfully. "From what I've heard, Perry's asking Waverly on a date."

"Who's Perry?" Rosita asked excitedly, eyeing Nicole beside her.

Nicole didn't even need to hear Chrissy's response because she knew who Perry was. Perry was a 3rd year engineering student. He had gorgeous body and good looks. But what Nicole was very frustrated about was that Perry was nothing like Champ. Perry was everything a woman could ever dream for. Perry was a nice person, someone who's worthy to be with Waverly.

And nothing pained Nicole more than seeing Waverly head towards them, beaming and blushing like crazy.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

20K 741 17
Nicole Haught, a Senior High school redhead, finds out that her cancer came back. Sooner or later, death will finally take her. That is why she is st...
126K 2.6K 38
Lila Daniels has spent all of her life living under the protective wings of her three older brothers, Charlie, Lucas and Tucker or in the gymnastics...
9.5K 223 8
A sequel to 'Way Back' [also known as the huge mess Charlie has made]. What if the right person comes at the worst possible time? Would you fix your...
431K 7K 32
****************************** "You know what turns me on?" Nicole whispers to Waverly. "Ughh.. I dont know.. Vodka?" Waverly says trying to do sarca...