Champion's Sword, Galar's Shi...

By TMWolf

Cassandra came to Galar running from a past she couldn't bring herself to face. Leon was running from his fa... More

01 - Encounter
02 - Warmth
03 - Fishing
04 - Talks
05 - Sword
06 - Fear
07 - Haven
08 - Vulnerable
09 - Heist
10 - Rose
11 - Trials
12 - Plans
13 - Tribulations
14 - Rescue
15 - Reprieve
16 - Beloved (18+)
18 - Aftermath Part I
19 - Aftermath II
20 - Reunions
Epilogue
Sequel

17 - Blood

1.5K 21 112
By TMWolf

Early update because I made you guys wait! :) Song this time instead of a cover... I couldn't quite convey what I wanted in a picture because so much happens XD;; You can probably play the song from the beginning and it'd last to the end 'cause it's long haha

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Three more days passed with nothing—not even a trace of the brothers.

It was too much to believe they had died down in the den, especially when Eternatus wasn't there. If the Pokémon had been buried under the rubble, it's unstable energy still would give off a signature of some kind, especially if the ball had been cracked. Yet, there was nothing. It was infuriating to everyone, though in some ways they were glad for it. The crowd was more at ease after the press conference, and had taken up busying themselves over Gloria, their Champion returned, and Cassandra and Leon's relationship now that it was official. A bombardment of both support, hate, and endless questions came their way, which made the redhead glad she didn't have a Pokégram, although many of her newfound friends and fans wished she did. With her boyfriend adding into the mix she was sure she'd have to at some point, but today. Whatever the case, Leon was happy and proud to show her off, and Raihan could finally post his secret shots. It was cute, in a way.

Still, the thought of the brothers weighed heavily on their minds, and the other Leagues still were not in Galar yet. There had been shaky weather on the water, causing some delays, but they would hopefully arrive by evening or tomorrow—she prayed for the former. Until then, though, they had done their best to stay occupied; Raihan working to continue repairs in the ruined Energy Plant in the castle when he wasn't training with them; Gloria spending as much time with Hop and her mother as possible; and she and Leon spending any second they could with one another, which was harder than she thought. League work kept him busy and would leave him tired, but he always made time for her, which they happily spent bonding with their Pokémon—and at night alone together.

Indeed, it had been a blissful three days, and their fourth looked to be going to the same; Leon had the day off, and so they happily spent it in the courtyard of the Vault apartments. Gloria and Hop had joined them, though they were inside, doing whatever it was teens liked to do. The older pair, however, were content to sit out on the bench with all the Pokémon, watching them interact with one another. Cassandra was especially glad to see Zacian and Zamazenta engaging with the others, even playing some. She felt closer to the Pokémon, too, haven't spent many hours over the last few days talking about Galar's past and their many battles. They had much to tell, and both enjoyed a good ear rub.

"So, what do you want to do tonight? We have a lot of free time later," he hummed, holding her sideways in his lap. He had leaned back against the rail behind them so she could lie against him, his arms holding her in place.

"Well, this is pretty nice to be honest. Although I guess we could have some extra fun, too," she hummed playfully.

Leon growled in a husky tone, "Don't you go teasing me like that. I might just not be able to resist."

"Good, all part of my master plan," she smirked back. "Best part? Raihan's not here, so he can't make a post about it."

"It is perfect, isn't it? Maybe I will give in then," he purred, sitting up proper so he could brush his lips past her neck. She shivered but pushed it back with a laugh.

", just hold that thought until tonight, alright? We did promise to have double-team battles with Hop and Gloria after lunch," she chuckled, turning to face him better.

He clicked his tongue, "Damn. We did, didn't we? Fine, fine, I'll be patient. Hop's been dying to fight you, anyways, and our Pokémon could use the extra experience since we haven't properly battled since the den."

"I know, it makes me uneasy," Cassandra sighed, looking to their teams.

A small round of barks and snarls rang out from one group, but it was promptly quieted by Tyranitar, Charizard, and Inteleon. It was a sight to see, the type-range working together to quell things. It was reassuring, too, and she was relieved they all got along. She looked to the legendaries next, wondering what they thought about it. Only, they weren't watching at all. Rather, both warriors looked to the sky, ears twitching back and forth. It was then she realized they were sending an odd feeling over their bond. Before they could even question it aloud, they received an answer.

Something is wrong.

The world is amiss

"Something's up," the redhead rumbled, standing up suddenly. Leon followed her lead, moving towards the two Pokémon. Just as the trainers reached them, though, they were thrown to their knees by a massive quake. Some of their Pokémon collapsed as well, while others stayed upright. Hop and Gloria burst through the patio doors once it was over, shouting a chorus of "What was that", but they didn't need to wait long. Far off in the distance, a beam of light suddenly flared to life. It was well beyond the Wild Area and took the shape of a pillar that shot high to the heavens. A second flared. Then a third. South, East, West, then north. They were popping up all over, including dens. The air crackled with energy, and echoes of Pokémon cries rang in the air. How far away they came from, she couldn't say, but she could believe they came from as far as the southern Wild Area.

"Oh no—that's... that's Dynamax energy," Leon breathed, eyes wide.

"What does that mean?" Gloria rasped.

Hop grimaced, "It... Sonia made me read up on it, but... if that's Dynamax energy then... with that much running wild, all the Pokémon nearby or going to be effected."

"Wait—it's vanishing!" the redhead called out, pointing. Sure enough, the pillar once bright as day suddenly dissipated.

"That's not good," Hop hissed, gritting his teeth. "If the energy is gone, something used it up. The Pokémon are Dynamaxing."

The world is being thrown into chaos, Zacian barked.

Zamazenta growled, We must act quickly to remove the energy!

"We can't let those Pokémon run loose! We have to take them all of them out!" Hop exclaimed and called out to his bird Pokémon while returning the others to their balls. "Leon, we need to go! That first blast looked close enough to be near home!"

Gloria raced to her Rapidash, which she mounted, "I'll head to the Wild Area—my team will handle the strongest ones there!"

"'Cas—" Leon began, reluctance in his expression, so she took his arm.

"Go with Hop, help your town and the other areas. We saw at least four that way, so you guys need to cover a lot of ground. I'll catch up with Raihan and the other Leaders to handle what happened here. Hurry!"

He nodded and called to Charizard. He returned his team, but before he moved to mount his Pokémon, he turned back around, gently grasped Cassandra's face, and kissed her hard.

"Stay safe. And if you find Swordward and Shieldbert don't go after them without me, alright?"

"Same to you. Now, hurry!" she bade, and he slipped onto Charizard's back. No command was needed then; the fire-type lifted off fast, and the large Corviknight was right behind them.

"I'll come back as soon as I can!" Gloria added, and her Rapidash took off from the courtyard, racing to the floor below. Only Cassandra remained to return her team, save Zacian who refused. Instead, she lowered herself, motioning for the redhead to climb on. She did so, and watched as the sword's power activated, forming armor.

"Raihan!" she barked into her phone, having called him up. "What's going on? Do you know? Hop says Pokémon are probably Dynamaxing all around!"

"They are! So far only Hammerlocke isn't, but we have Dynamax energy going rampant at every other Gym Stadium! Some of the other Leaders need help if you can spare it?"

"Of course, which one first?"

"Go see Gordie! He sent an SOS!"

"I don't have a flier—"

Fear not, my speed will be more than enough, Zacian growled, gaze confident when she looked back.

The redhead nodded, "Nevermind. I got a ride. Call me if anything more happens. Alright, let's had out, Zacian!"

With a mighty howl, her Pokémon took a running start and vaulted clean over the courtyard railing to the streets below. People had begun to move towards shelter, but she deftly avoided them and reached the eastern bridge in nearly a blink of an eye. Once they hit open land, she went even faster, leaping great bounds over the slopes and rough terrain so fast that the mild air grew colder in just minutes as they reached the wintery area of Chirchester. Before it had taken Cassandra maybe a half a day on foot, but in not even thirty minutes they were bounded through the snow-coated streets and reaching the gym doors. People raced out from within, but she pressed through, returning Zacian to get through the door.

"Gordie!" she called out, spotting the burly Leader. A look of relief came over him when he saw her.

"Cassandra! Thank Arceus! Pokémon are running wild in Dynamax form inside! I need help taking care of them and protecting the people."

"You can count on us. Let's go."

He nodded, and they raced into danger.

—————-

The battle was hard, but they were victorious. Combining her team with Gordie's, they were able to both protect the civilians and subdue the Dynamaxed Pokémon, which the Gym Leaders then shepherd to safety. Her Pokémon worked hard, but it was Zacian who took the greatest toll. From the get-go the Pokémon seemed uneasy in the heavy, energized air, and the burst of power released upon finishing off a Dynamaxed Pokémon seemed to make her shrink some, but she would recover moments later, and assure her trainer she was fine.

Cassandra could not press, the call for help continuing. Bea and Allister were being overwhelmed, too, and she had to head out. This time, tough, Gordi flagged a taxi and had its Corviknight relieved of duty to fly her quickly to Stow-on-Side on its back. She lamented her own bird couldn't do it, but he had not grown enough yet—perhaps in another year or so. Regardless, they made it in maybe an hour, and found the two Leaders in a similar situation to Gordie.

"Bea!" Cassandra shouted as she hurried in, passing by a group of people scrambling to get away from the Gym. She recognized Allister as the young, masked child beside her, although she had yet to personally meet him. He had his Gengar out while the fighter Gym Leader her Machamp.

"Good, you're here! We have three in our Gym and in the surrounding area. Allister and I know this place better so you stay here at the Gym and we can take care of the rest," the silver-haired woman nodded and looked down to the dark-haired child. She held out her hand, "Ready, kiddo?"

Allister only nodded, taking Bea's hand. The older Gym Leader nodded to the redhead, and then she and her companions took off, leaving Cassandra with her team. She didn't hesitate to enter the Stadium, where a Conkeldurr thrashed about, swinging its metal beam into the pitch. Miraculously, the people were already safe, leaving just her and her opponent, and so, once again, she brought her team out to battle. Like before, Cassandra saw Zacian struggle, and this time, at the end, she was panting more heavily. Her fur seemed slightly frayed, but she boasted she was fine.

Cassandra didn't believe it, but the Pokémon just snapped back. The redhead had to let it go; they needed to keep moving when Raihan called not even a minute after she had stepped out of the Gym Stadium to say Hammerlocke was under attack. Bea and Allister found her just as she recalled the Corviknight she'd ridden before, the flying Pokémon having remained nearby.

"Hammerlock is in trouble, I need to get back. Will you guys be okay?" she asked as she mounted the flier.

Bea nodded, "Yes. We've subdued the Pokémon, and we'll keep guard here in case more Dynamax."

"Please hurry and help Mr. Raihan," Allister spoke softly, head falling shyly.

"Count on it. You guys stay safe, too! We can all celebrate once we stop these guys!" the redhead grinned back and nudged her ride. "Let's go, Corviknight! To Hammerlock!"

The dark-feathered beast shot into the sky with a mighty flap, veering towards the castle-like city in the distance. It wouldn't be a long flight, and all the while she still prayed that everything would be fine—both for Zacian, the city, and for Leon, the two younger trainers, and everyone else. They hadn't called, so she could only believe in their abilities. Still, her stomach twisted with the dread that filled her.

It felt both too soon and too late when she came upon Hammerlocke. As Raihan said, the city was in chaos. Pokémon charged with Dynamax energy were rummaging around, some looking half-transformed, others full on. Raihan's Pokémon were flying and racing about doing their best, but there was too much. Some trainers and emergency crews were fighting back, but Dynamax Pokémon were strong, and they were trying to protect and save people at the same time. It was just all too much, despite their numbers, and already she could see people were hurt badly, and some, she knew deep down, had probably died. Cassandra had the Corviknight bring her as close as it was comfortable doing so, and then bid it return home while she raced to the bridge where Raihan was.

It was there she found their enemy.

—————————

Near Postwick

"Rhyperior, Stone Edge! Charizard, Fire Blast!" Leon bellowed, directing his Pokémon to attack the frenzied Dubwool that was now towering high above them in its Dynamaxed form. It shouldn't have been able to, at least not in the open fields of the countryside village, but he had seen the Pokémon even from a mile away running amok. By some miracle, it had done very little damage to the surrounding homes, and it had been easy to lure it away to the outskirts where no one could get hurt. Hop had also helped to evacuate the town, protecting everyone he could with the help of his team. Leon took the lead on wearing out the creature, utilizing his entire roster to keep it focused on him. While his main six attacked, he kept Zamazenta as a shield, blocking the most powerful strikes from hitting both his Pokémon and going towards the town.

It was going well, although it was harder than usual; he was reluctant to Gigantamax so close to a residential area, so he had to rely on Charizard's normal power. His training had paid off, though, and he was glad to see the Dubwool was beginning to slow down, even staggering here and there. It was angrier, too, but its attacks were less focused and sluggish. It wouldn't be long now until all its energy was spent, which meant they could move on to the next Dynamax problem, which was prevalent throughout the region.

"Slash it, Haxorus! Rillaboom follow up with Boomblast. Everyone else back up to give room!" he bellowed, and the Dubwool turned a fierce glare his way. Zamazenta seemed to sense the danger and leaped in front of him, snarling in challenge. His dragon Pokémon lunged forward to slice at the Dubwool's legs, making it yelp. It shrieked when his grass-type unleashed the massive sound blast, sending the Dynamax Pokémon stumbling back—and then it toppled over. It groaned, struggling to rise.

Allow me, the legendary Pokémon growled, body suddenly flaring with light and power. Leon didn't protest as the beast shot forward at high speeds and rammed right into the downed Pokémon. It cried out before collapsing, unconscious. The Dynamax energy burst in an explosion that sent them all a step back. The air crackled from the shock, particles heavy in the air. Zamazenta was the most affected, growling as pain shot through his body for a few seconds. He recovered soon enough, but still twitched and panted lightly.

"You okay?" the young man asked, touching the warrior Pokémon's leg gently.

He looked to his trainer, I will be. Worry not; I can endure... but we must go.

Leon frowned, "What do you mean? What's going on?"

I sense my sister is in danger. Eternatus' energy has appeared.

The young man's stomach twisted as his heart sank. If Zacian was in danger—then so was Cassandra. It was his worst fears coming true, and he cursed himself for having left. He couldn't fully regret it, not when his mother had been in danger. She was safe now, though, and so he returned everyone but Charizard to their balls. Just as he leaped onto the fire-type's back, Hop came running, confusion in his features.

"Leon, wait—where are goin'!?"

"The Kings are at Hammerlocke—I have to go back and help! Make sure everyone is safe here and then go take care of any other Dynamaxed Pokémon! I'm counting on you!" he shouted back, and before his brother could respond, Charizard shot off into the air. He made a straight beeline for the city so far to the north. Despite weariness from battle, the fire type flew as hard and as fast as he could, passing into the Wild Area in record timing.

Even so, Leon couldn't help worrying he would be too late.

———————

Hammerlocke

Cassandra's Pokémon came free of their balls, ready to strike. Zacian, especially, snarled and growled at their enemy, blade already charging. She came to stand with Raihan, whose team was out and ready to fight, too. His Duraludon bellowed in rage, while the rest of his powerful team snarled and growled in challenge. The two deplorable men stood at the entrance of the castle, just before the draw bridge. When and how they'd managed to sneak there, she couldn't say, but they were here now, and they were ready for war.

"Ah-ah," Swordward smirked, and, his younger brother holding Eternatus ball ready, fired off the mechanism controlling it. A small, but powerful blast flared towards them, lessened only by Zacian's parrying attack. The energy crackled and nipped at her fur, though, and the Pokémon snarled in rage.

"Yes, that's it! Show your true self, false King!" Shieldbert laughed and unleashed another blast. It had come faster than before, and there was nothing Raihan or her could do to stop from being knocked down. They pressed back up along with their Pokémon, but already the King's prepared to fire as Zacian howled in defiance, rage boiling within the Pokémon that felt like fire over the bond. The pokéball flared and hit them again. Again, they went down, struggling to rise this time. Another blast might be too much, and it was already being readied again. How they could shoot the energy off so many times so fast baffled her, but they had to stop them somehow. Her Pokémon weren't recovered yet, and Zacian was shaking despite her resolve to go forward to face the danger. Hope dwindled quickly for Cassandra, and she wasn't sure what to the do. The blast was already just about ready to fire. She could see the button being pressed. There was no way to avoid it. They'd were all still trying to get up. Cassandra could only raise her arms to brace for another blow as the pokéball flared.

"Mirror Move!"

A Pokémon's cry she hadn't heard in a long time echoed through the sky, and from on high a blast of energy shot by that resembled Eternatus'. The two strikes clashed and burst in an explosion that blew smoke and dirt their way. It dissipated quickly, though, and just as it did, a massive, beastly, blue-scaled Pokémon dropped down with a hard thud, cracking the stones beneath. With a roar it opened its fanged maw and unleashed a fierce torrent of water that struck the Kings head on, knocking them back. Behind the water-type, a large, tan-and-brown colored bird with a golden crown landed suddenly. On its back was very a familiar ruby-haired man. He dismounted and the bird squawked while it flapped over to Cassandra, quickly nuzzling her all over and helping her stand. The man, meanwhile, unleashed another Pokémon, calling on a Weavile to fire an icy blast at the water, freezing it. Shieldbert howled in pain, his arm encased in ice, having been touched by the water at the same time.

Swordbert quickly slashed at it, just beyond the hand to break, and snarled, "How dare you!"

"Oh, fuck off you arrogant pricks. Feraligator, Weavile, keep them pinned! Don't let them use that device!" he barked, spinning on his heel, and approaching Cassandra and Raihan, who couldn't help staring in surprise. The young man unhooked three belts from his own and held them out. "Here, 'Cas, your teams—as promised. Sorry to borrow your Pidgeot, but when we saw those lights from offshore, I figured it was better to get here faster. Team Rescue and the other Leagues should be disembarking by now. I told them if they could fly to do it. So. Where do you need us?"

"Everywhere, Silver. Every city, and even the Wild Area. These guys have been releasing a special particle energy that's making Pokémon grow gigantic and strong. They call it Dynamaxing, and you need the most skilled teams and trainers to take them on. People and Pokémon need rescuing and care, too," she explained, and quickly worked to bring out all of her companions. One by one they emerged; Espeon, Gallade, Sceptile, Aggron, Frosslass, Lanturn; Empoleon, Luxray, Garchomp; Samurott, Zebstrika, and Zoroark.

"Understood. I may need to borrow some of your Pokémon for some teams."

"Not a problem. I planned to spread them out and help the town, anyways. There's more here than the other area—," she started, but had to pause, when a blast of energy sent Silver's Feraligator and Weavile stumbling back. Across the bridge, the two Kings fumed with a fiery rage.

"You ungrateful, worthless maggots!" Shieldbert screamed, his arm still encased in ice. It was most likely frost-bitten now, maybe even worthless. "How dare you fight against us! Who do you think you are!"

"The trainers who are going to take you down!" Raihan growled. "How about we give our Pokémon some boosts—fire first. Come on Turtonator, let loose some sunshine!"

"Wait, don't just—oh for Arceus' sake!" Silver snapped, quickly returning his Pokémon, who would do poorly under such conditions. He backed up to be even with the other two trainers, throwing a quick glare at the dragon Leader, who only grinned eagerly as his Pokémon released energy, and, from on high, the sun gleamed that much brighter and hotter.

"I'll add some myself. Electric team up front! Boltund, you know what to do; let's makes some shocking terrain!" she smirked to her sparking Pokémon, who barked eagerly. Charge gathered instantly into its fur and then released, creating a heavy static that filled the air. Fur and hair raised, and sparks lingered off her electrical-type Pokémon. Her Luxray and Zebstrika joined Boltund while Arcanine stood by Torkoal and Turtonator, flame and electricity shooting off all around.

"Alright, give 'em a warm, electrifying welcome!" Raihan whooped, and, all six corresponding types shot off Thunderbolts along with Flamethrowers and blasts. It was only a shot from Eternatus that saved the two, counteracting the attacks, and suddenly their smug faces weren't so smug. From their belts, their Pokémon began to emerge, suddenly not able to handle it with just their "trump card".

Cassandra pointed as she shouted, "Keep going! Other teams, let loose and back them up!"

Other elements soon joined the fire and electricity, the Kings crying out for Protect and Light Screens and other defensive maneuvers they could manage until they let off another wave of Eternatus energy. It was nullified by the combined blast, giving Zacian time to leap and unleash a wave of power from her blade. Again, they called for shields, but it was no match for the legendary's strength. The blast struck them hard, knocking the pokéball free and the Kings back. Their Pokémon staggered, but remained strong, hissing and snarling at their enemy.

"You can't win! Surrender!" Silver snapped. "The Unified League Organization has assembled all its people. You're out numbered. You'll face justice for your crimes against Pokémon and humanity."

Swordbert laughed, "Our crimes against humanity? Oh, no... no, we are the true heralds of justice, and we will right this farce of a legend by your pathetic excuse for a warrior. You think this beast is so noble? It is but a thief of our rightful glory, and you will know it this day! You think you've won because you have numbers? You don't know true power then. Come, let us see if your numbers help you with this."

The crazed man slapped his hand onto the controller. Eternatus ball suddenly flared, and a wave more powerful than anything before shot forth. It knocked them all—even Zacian—to the ground, the legendary snarling in pain as dark, electrical energy sparked around it. Cassandra could feel the pain just on the edge of her senses along with rage that she wasn't sure wasn't her own. All around the air was heavy and energized, both invigorating and sapping their strength. Deep, loud groans and cries filled the air, and the trainers watched, helpless, as the Pokémon the two brother-kings had unleashed began to glow red, their bodies absorbing the power. They suddenly burst in size, growing larger and larger until they crashed through buildings around them and a tower on high. Their cries made the ground tremor and shake, and their steps as they moved in some sense of confusion threw the trainers to the ground again.

"Let us see how you handle that, you ungrateful peons!" Swordbert howled.

"Brother, help!" Shieldbert cried out, and the man turned to find a chunk of the building had landed upon his brother, pinning all but one arm, which was still encased in ice. Shieldbert was helpless. The sword-bearing brother sneered.

"Useless! You've always been useless! Now, look at you! How am I supposed to get you out, hmm?! I should let you rot there," he spat.

The younger man cried out, "What—no! Brother, help! Please!"

"A King does not beg. Help yourself, fool. I have a false hero to slay."

He abandoned Shieldbert then, marching through the debris of the castle, his aim for the group of three trainers and their Pokémon who had rushed back towards the main road to avoid any collapsing buildings. There, they regrouped, and took note of all that was going on. It wasn't good. Ten Dynamax Pokémon were loose in town and two Braviary were in the sky. They were demolishing buildings and hurting people and Pokémon. They had to be stopped.

Silver's phone rang, and he immediately answered, "Lance! I need more Champions here in Hammerlocke now and the rest out to stop any of the giant Pokémon you see in the field! You have the map right?"

"Ah, yes! What's going on? We saw another massive blast of light from the port!"

"We have trouble, that's what, and we need all our strongest Pokémon where you saw that light!"

"We're on our way. Dragonite will get me there in no time. Alder, get out your Druddigon and get the other Champions and trainers to take their fastest fliers throughout the region, there's trouble!" they heard the other line say before Silver hung up, looking to them both. Around them, their Pokémon tensed, but were ready to fight.

"We need to split up," Cassandra grimaced. "We have to try and take out as many as we can. With Lance and Alder on the way, that makes five—two for each of us. Mine will help you, too. Raihan, take Sceptile, Boltund, Empoleon, and Espeon. They should provide you good support. Silver, take Gallade, Froslass, Garchomp, and Zebstrika. Spread them out as you need. The rest I'll keep to deal the ones up high. It won't be easy bringing them down.

She paused to face her Pokémon, the ones she named going to their respective temporary trainers, "Okay, guys. It's been a while. It's good to see you all, and I wish it could be under better circumstance, but we have a job to do, a city to protect, and a region to save. When it's over... there's a lot we need to talk about, and I promise to treat you all to some good things, and to meet new friends. But right now, we need to keep strong and fight our hardest. Those giant Pokémon are the toughest you're ever going to fight, so be smart and fight just like I trained you, alright?"

She got a chorus of snarls, barks, and growls, her Pokémon ready—save a Zoroark. He scowled at her and looked away.

"Cas, all good?" Raihan called, just about ready to move out after going over those that came to him. Espeon already seemed to like him, having climbed up onto his shoulders to perch. She nodded, waving him off. He clapped her shoulder, "I've got the Bisharp, Golisopod, and one of the Sirfetch'd until your friends can give me a hand. I'll be back soon, count on it. In the meantime, I think I'll see what it's like to try some new types out."

"And I'll take one of those Farfetch'd looking ones, and the weird multi-Pokémon, and... gear looking thing. What is with this region's Pokémon?" Silver frowned, shaking his head. She just bade him good luck and approached her dark-furred Pokémon. He still refused to look, and so she embraced him quickly.

Chosen, we have no time. We must act!

"I know, I'll be quick, Zacian!" she called out, and then lowered her voice for the Pokémon. "I'm sorry, buddy. I left you when I shouldn't have. I left without telling you so many things when I know you wanted to stay... when this is all over... we're going to have that talk. And then we have a lot of things to do—especially back in Unova."

It was a moment before she felt its arms and claws embrace her back, and although it wasn't totally happy with her, it would comply. She spared a smile, briefly recalling the days back in that region—how meeting her dark-type had been, in part, the first step to meeting N. All because of a young Zoara that found his brother in the arms of a green-haired boy.

But that was a story for another time.

Today was a battle, and she had two Braviaries, a Bronzong, and Doublade to deal with until help arrived.

"Pidgeot, you're top priority for those fliers. You're going to get Luxray up there and have him bring them down with Thunder," she commanded, and the bird—doting on both Tyranitar and the Corviknight that towered over her now—chirped in agreement and stared curiously at the smaller electrical Pokémon that roared softly in greeting. "Luxray, she's going to carry and throw you up high, and then she will catch you on the way down. You've known her for years, so you know she'd good at what she does. Just trust in her and she'll make sure you succeed."

The Pokémon grunted in confirmation, and only slightly flinched when the Pidgeot lifted with a massive flap, grasped the dark-furred nape—gently—and lifted off, enduring the small sparks that came from the Pokémon's fur. That done, she returned to her others.

"Alright, for Doublade, I need Arcanine, Zoarark, and Tyranitar. Aggron, Lucario you focus on the Bronzong; use any ground and dark moves you have. Samurott, Lapras, and Corviknight you guys provide support or back up or help anyone you see needs it. Zacian, I need you to help take out those Braviary when they fall—both at once if possible. Luxray's strong and should be able to paralyze them in one blast like before. After them, you do what you need to take down the other Dynamax once weak enough."

With pleasure.

"Alright, go guys!" she shouted, and her Pokémon moved out at once, splitting into their three groups. Up on high, she saw a ball of light form that sparked wildly, and then three massive bolts of lightning lashed out, striking the giant birds. They shrieked in agony as their bodies sparked, paralyzing their wings, and came crashing down. They slammed into the buildings, crushing their roofs, and one slid down into the main road. It didn't stay down for long—neither did the other—and they hissed and cawed at the first targets they found: her and Zacian. The other perched on the buildings, ready to unleash wind-based attacks. However, the trainer and legendary weren't left alone for long. Pidgeot came swooping down, tossing Luxray in front so he could unleash another bolt that made the Braviary flinch in pain. It wasn't enough to stop them, but they were more cautious now.

One raised its wings, and she knew a blast was coming.

"Mirror Move!"

Pidgeot shot forward, and, power pooling around, it unleashed the same strike as the Braviary, canceling the blow. Almost. Her Pokémon still received a hit, though not as badly as it would have been. Zacian moved in at the same time, leaping over the jab of the Braviary's Peck, and slammed its behemoth blade down into its back with an energy blast strong enough that the ground beneath cracked. The bird croaked and then groaned as its pent-up energy released in a wave that struck the legendary. She flinched, staggering away some. The other Braviary squawked and lunged with its sharpened claws at Zacian, but Luxray dashed forward and unleashed a fierce Spark, striking the Braviary in the chest. It screamed as it stumbled—right into Zacian's waiting strike. It was slapped back into the buildings, and, the blow final, energy once against unleashed. Luxray hissed, but was mostly okay, while dark sparks flickered off Zacian's fur.

"Are you okay!?" she called out, coming to the staggering Pokémon.

I'm fine! She snapped, harshly, but then recovered, and grunted. I am fine. This is nothing compared to the battle with Eternatus long ago. Come, there are more enraged Pokémon to stop.

"You need to take a break—," she began, but then cried out when Zacian suddenly knocked her back—just in time to avoid the fallen form of the Doublade. It groaned, burned along its blade, and littered with dark scratches that oozed dark energy. Victorious cries of her Pokémon team reached her, and she was greeted with confident smirks as the Dynamax energy burst from the Pokémon and, like the Braviary, it shrank. She watched Zacian again endure more pain than the others from the blast. She was feeling fried herself, but the energy didn't bother her the same. It was more like being shocked over and over.

"Zacian hold back with me to keep an eye on things, you guys start moving that way—Wait, is that... Ha! It is! Lance finally made it. I bet Alder, too, perfect. Silver should be that way," she beamed, although frowned again when she realized there were a lot more Dynamax Pokémon than she thought in the lower and upper levels. Chaos was all around.

I will go on and take down what are left. My brother should be here soon to help.

"No, hold on! Doublade team wait, we need to see where we're most needed," she urged, looking away from their fallen foes to see where the worst was. As such, she failed to notice a figure approaching, a blade wielded high, ready to strike down.

——————————————————

The Wild Area

"Kommo-mo, Close Combat!" Gloria bellowed, jabbing a finger as she rode atop Rapidash's back, clinging to its pastel-colored mane. Her fighter-dragon bellowed as it lunged at the Dynamaxed Leipard, striking and kicking and slapping its tail rapidly into the dark-type Pokémon, who yowled in pain. With a final punch to its face, the Liepard toppled to the ground and didn't move. Dynamax energy burst from its body in an explosion as it shrunk down and returned to its normal form. Her dragon panted heavily, its defenses lowered, but the rest of her team were close by.

Unfortunately, so were other crazed Pokémon. Not all of them had Dynamaxed, but the air was thick with the energy. It had never been so crazy, normally restricted to Dens, but whatever caused this—whatever the Kings had done, had sent the Wild Area into a frenzy. The Galarian particles were making even normally docile Pokémon aggressive, and some were made larger than before, though not full Dynamax size. There were others at the fearsome size, and it was to one such Pokémon—a Corviknight—that she stated towards next. Her Pokémon back in their balls, she urged Rapidash into a gallop, racing for the bird which soared in a circle in the sky. She lamented how this one was going to be tough. She didn't have a bird to fly on.

"Heliolisk, I need you!" she called, tossing her ball. From it, her small electric lizard appeared, hissing its challenge. "Bring it down!"

The electric-type Pokémon let out a cry as it built a charge into its body, and, after a few seconds, unleashed the power in a flurry of lightning bolts that blasted right at the Corviknight. It struck home, causing the bird to falter and begin to fall. It corrected itself, though, and turned its attention towards Gloria and her Pokémon. It let out a bellowing cry and swooped down.

"Ninetails, quick—Flamethrower!" the Galar Champion shouted, tossing its ball. The nine-tailed creature howled in challenge and, sucking in air, blew a fierce flame at the oncoming bird. It squawked in pain, waylaying its impending attack, and forcing it fully to the ground. It slapped a wing their way still, though, and the sheer force of the wind pushed her Pokémon against the ground. She would have fallen, too, if she didn't cling to her Rapidash. The Corviknight wailed loudly, puffing itself up threateningly. Her Pokémon snarled back in challenge, Ninetails spitting fire as it curled its lip, and Heliolisk flaring sparks as it claws at the ground with its feet.

Gloria jabbed a finger to give her orders but was waylaid as a Pokémon cry echoed and then became a deafening shriek. She looked to the right just as a Machoke doubled and tripled in size, sparking magenta-colored flares of energy. By a sheer stroke of bad luck, it's gaze landed on her, and it screamed with rage.

"Shi—everyone move!" she rasped, urging Rapidash to move as the fighting-type Pokémon started to charge. This was bad. So very bad. One Dynamax Pokémon was difficult enough, but now two? Her team was already tired after taking down three before this. She wasn't sure if she could handle more. What could she do? What moves would be enough? Should she Dynamax, too? Or save it? Should she run? No, she was the Champion, she had to stay and fight and protect everyone. She couldn't let Hop or Leon and the others down. She had to fight, but she couldn't think—couldn't figure out the right move.

The Machoke raised its arms to strike, and she braced as Rapidash made to move.

The blow never came.

"Leaf Storm!"

"Muddy Water!"

Green leaves flared all around the Machoke, making numerous thin slices that made it yelp and rear back in pain. The Corviknight found it's face flooded with brown-colored water that made it shriek and shake its head wildly, eyes squeezed shut. Gloria gasped, turning her head the direction the attacks had come, and found two trainers—a young man and woman with matching red-and-black outfits, though the man wore a white beanie, and the girl a red headband with a bow. They had stopped on their bicycles on the hill, their Pokémon by their side. Gloria had never seen them; the man with a large, blue-colored Pokémon that had immense bulk on the front to where it's body and arms were overly rounded save for the black fins coming out of its head and red mounds and spikes all over. It that vaguely reminded her of a Seismatoad or a Quagswire combined, but she'd never seen it before in her life. The same could be said for the woman's green lizard-dragon-like Pokémon, its body riddled with leaf-shaped spikes and a long tail that had a tree-like shape at the end and orbs all along its back.

The Dynamax Pokémon pushed away for the moment, the two trainers quickly peddled over, their Pokémon racing with them to join her team. The two strange Pokémon cried out in greeting, and she was relieved to know they were on her side.

"Hey! We were told we were needed out here in the, uh... Wild Area, right?" the young man grinned, giving a two-fingers salute before looking to Corviknight. He whistled, "What kind of Pokémon is that? It's huge! Is it a legendary?"

Gloria blinked, "Huh? Oh, no, it's Dynamaxed—it's just big until we beat it."

"Oh, phew. I was worried there for a minute," the young woman laughed, looking to the Machoke then to her. "You look liked you could use some help. Those Pokémon look tough."

"They are. And you're right—I need the help. My team's getting worn out. We have to be careful, though; Dynamaxed Pokémon are insanely strong. It usually takes at least four Pokémon and their trainers to beat just one."

"Ha! Sounds like we came to a fun place! Galar really is interesting. Well, can you tell us what type that bird is? We have Machokes back home, so we know."

"It's Corviknight, a Steel-Flying... Wait, where are you guys from? Who are you?"

"We're two of Hoenn's Champions, and we came with the ULO to help you guys out. Name's Brendan."

The woman smiled, pulling an Ultra ball from the pack on her belt, "And I'm May."

"Gloria, Galar's newest reigning Champ," she smiled back, though it faltered when the Dynamax Pokémon screamed and prepared to attack once more. "I hope you guys are ready."

"Oh, trust me. We are. Galar isn't the only region with giants," Brendan smirked as he, too, brought out an Ultra ball. With a glance to May, who returned it, the two trainers tossed their balls, and Gloria couldn't help her gasp as two massive beings emerged, one a brilliant blue like the roaring seas, and the other a deep, fire red like a trothing lava plume. Their cries were like thunder across the sky.

The young man was right. Galar really wasn't the only region.

——————————————-

The Northern Wild Area

A Bewear tower over the area, it's cries ringing out like a thunderous roar that shook the earth almost as much as its steps. All around Pokémon scurried and ran, trying desperately to avoid it's gargantuan paws. Each movement crushed and toppled the land, from trees and boulders, to leaving craters in the earth itself. It swung its massive arms in a mindless rage, throwing down many Pokémon with the resulting gusts. It was even enough to force the two men below to take cover behind their Pokémon, a massive blue-tinged metallic beast floating off the ground, and a large serpent with a tanned bodies adorned in a glorious rainbow of scales. Their trainers chuckled as they reemerged, one a tall man with pale, pristine skin to go against turquois hair tucked into a white that that matched the white uniform that let little to the imagination; the other a shorter, more slender gentleman clad in his dark-colored suit, metal rings upon his wrist, all contrasting well with his sky-blue eyes and hair.

"Well, well... looks like Cassandra wasn't joking when she said it was bad," the young man mused, glancing to his taller companion. Before he could respond, a pair of familiar cries rang out in the distance. Looking northward, they could see the tumultuous battle in the skies of sunshine trying to oust a storm, and the storm seeking to block out the sun. "Looks like we're falling behind, Wallace. May and Brendan are a step ahead. I'm starting to feel old."

"You are. I'm the fountain of youth as always, Stevie boy. Don't worry, though; I will happily assist in helping you feel better. Say, perhaps, by finishing off our area first?" Wallace mused, a playful glint to his eyes. When his companion made a face he laughed, 'Oh, come now, Steven, no need to be so pouty, although i love when you do so."

"I hate that nickname," he huffed, pulling a pin with a stone set on the end. It glowed a beautiful green, with a mixtures of bright colors within--not unlike a rainbow encased in a bead. "You are right though--we ought to show those two how it's done. A little payback or trouncing us."

"Precisely. Milotic, you ready, my dear?" the taller man inquired, stroking his Pokémon's neck gently. It gave off a melodious cry of agreement.

Steven looked to his Pokémon as well, "Metagross, you ready? It's time to Mega Evolve."

The metallic beast bellowed its agreement as well. The two trainers just grinned, and in the wake of a brilliant, blinding light that swallowed the Metagross in a ball that radiated power and energy, the battle began.

----------------------------

Postwick

"Mom! Mom!"

Hop pushed through the crowd that rushed towards the Pokécenter and train station, the only large, safe places for the town to go to. The dark-skinned woman with hair to match his turned and spotted her youngest son as he came close. She crossed the last distance and embraced him tight. She cupped both sides of his face, tears welling in her golden eyes.

"Oh, Hop! My baby! Are you okay? I saw you and your brother fighting that Dubwool! Wait—where is--where's Leon? He's not lost, is he?" she rasped, looking everywhere while she grasped Hop's shoulders. The young man took hold of her arm in kind, bringing her eyes back to him.

"He went back to Hammerlock. There was trouble, and he went to help 'Cas. I stayed here to help everyone. I need you to hurry and get to the Pokécenter, okay?"

"Only if you come with me. I'm not going to let you go running off and get hurt again! I already almost lost you both!" his mother rasped, tears falling down. The young man paused, smiling softly. His mom really was so strong. She always been, especially when it became just the three of them. He hadn't gotten to understand why until a few years ago when Leon finally told him about Dad, but he'd seen the woman before him never once falter in being the best mother she could be and making sure neither him or his brother went without.

"It'll be okay, Mom. I promise," he chuckled, placing a kiss on her brow.

"Oh, no—no, no! You don't get to that, Hop! Don't you dare! Leon does the same darn thing when he's about to go do something foolish!" she barked, jabbing a finger.

"I'm just going to make sure everyone is safe and take care of any rampaging Pokémon!" he chuckled.

"I don't care! You are coming with me right now and—."

"Hey! Is there anyone in charge here! We're Team Rescue! We've come to report in and help!" a voice shouted above the crowd, causing many to pause. Hop included, who turned and looked to where the voice had come. It was easy to spot the squad of five, three men and two women, clad in white-colored gear with a large, red "R" on the front of their clothes. They looked just like Cassandra described. Team Rescue. At the head, though, was a different trainer. A young man, with bright yellow hair, light skin, and a blue jacket over a matching set of dark pants and shirt. None of them were familiar, but their name along told him all he needed to know.

Their back up had arrived.

Relief flooded through the young man. Their chances just skyrocketed. With the other leagues here, they'd have no problem dealing with all the Pokémon. No matter what the King threw at them, they could handle it now.

Hop smiled warmly at his mom, "I need to go talk with them. I'm basically the representative here since I'm a Cup finalist and Professor assistant and all."

His mother waited a few seconds before sighing and wiping her eyes. She touched his cheek gently.

"You've grown up so fast, Hopkins. You and Leon both are just so amazing. I'm so proud to call you my boys."

"And I'm proud to call you 'mom'. Now, please, get to safety. I'll come find you after this over and then we can go give Leon a piece of our mind for leaving so abruptly," he grinned, making his mother laugh. She was the one to kiss his forehead this time and went with him to the trainers. She veered off just before he stopped, though, meeting the gaze of the blonde-haired man. He spared his mother a final glance—she waved and nodded—and then held out his hand.

"Name's Hop. I'm assistant to Professor Sonia, and semi-finalist to the Champion Cup. I don't really need you guys to listen to me or check in, but I could use some help coordinate the evacuation. We don't have many people left here, but there some homes on the outskirts where the Pokémon are getting aggressive and Dynamaxing."

The man frowned, shaking his hand, "'Dynamax'? I remember Cynthia talking about that, but I don't know what it's about."

"Think of it as super-sizing a Pokémon and making them insanely powerful. We'll need four trainers at least for one. Although, something tells me you count for four on your own."

"Ha! You've got a good eye, kid," the man smirked. "Name's Volkner, 8th Gym Leader of Sinnoh. Been getting bored back home, so I figured helping here might give some inspiration. So.

He paused to gesture to their group, "You might not be a commander, but we're still yours to command. Lead the way, Hop. We're here to help."

"Good. Then let's go and keep these people safe, then we can see who else needs our help. Feel free to let all your Pokémon loose; you're gonna need to."

Volkner just grinned.

———————————————

Hammerlock - East Side

Raihan cursed as the giant Golisopod swiped a claw and struck down a brick rail, showing the material his way. The sheer force of it slapped a brick into his shoulder hard enough for him to hear—and feel—a pop. He hit the ground roughly, too, and, ironically, it pushed his limb back into place. It still hurt like nobody's business and he had to use his other hand to push up. He was scraped and bruised, but he was hardly down for the count and neither were his Pokémon. Cassandra's were doing plenty fine, too, and he had to say, he was impressed.

Espeon was kind enough to stick close to him, using its psychic abilities to ward off more debris flying his way. The little guy had been busy before but must have senses the danger to him and came rushing back. He was grateful for it, already aching in his shoulder and other parts of his body. He couldn't be too upset, though—he might have been injured, but he was alive, and that meant a lot more than some. He'd already seen a few bodies, which had hit his gut like a punch. There was nothing more he could do for them, though; rather, he had to focus on those alive and keeping them safe. Thank Arceus not many people were around, most of them having escaped towards the bridge.

That just left him, his and Cassandra's Pokémon, and one Golisopod and Bisharp. He'd managed to take down the Sirfetch'd thanks to Espeon's ridiculous psychic abilities and the Sceptile's flying-move techniques, but the water-bug and dark-steel were tricky—and strong. Boltund was mostly useful in stunning the Golisopod and distracting them with its swift movements. The Empoleon could hit hard with water and ice attacks, and his fire-types could handle the Bisharp well enough, but the rest only had basic damaging against the types.

Still, he was winning. It was just overwhelming. He could tell the Pokémon were getting tired, and one Dynamax Pokémon was hard enough to take down. Two seemed impossible, but he wouldn't give up. He could never give up—not when everyone was depending on him. His entire city was depending on him, too, and he couldn't call himself Gym Leader if he ran.

At least he'd stopped getting SOS calls. On one hand, that could be a bad thing, but he decided to believe in his comrades. They'd no doubt come out on top, and, if that were the case, then so would he.

"Flygon, Duraludon—Dragon Pulse! Turtonator, Sunny Day! Torkoal, Flamethrower!" he bellowed, roaring like his Pokémon. "Espeon, give that bug something to worry about! Sceptile, you, too, bring on some of those Air Cutters!"

It felt strange having Pokémon he'd just met listen so effectively, but Cassandra had trained them well. Even after their attacks they kept moving, helping his own, or any stragglers around. They did their best to shield against attacks or divert them, albeit at the cost of rubble and shrapnel being tossed and throw about. Raihan again had to shield himself from some, cursing when a sharp bit of something sliced into his cheek. He didn't need a mirror to know it had cut deep, the blood pooling out as he watched his green-skinned dragon get hit by the Golisopod, slamming it into the ground.

"Flygon!" he bellowed, rushing over to whip out a Hyper Potion spray. As he did, the Golisopod opened its maw and shot a blast of water his way. He covered Flygon with his body just as Espeon teleported in front of him and put up a barrier, but the purple-colored creature struggled, slumping to the ground and snarling under the strain. It would only be a matter of time before it broke through if it kept up.

A sound like a jet plane breached the chaos and a blur of black appeared in the sky, slamming into the Golisopod. The sheer force of it created a loud BOOM, and the bug-water type Pokémon started to fall. It was then Raihan spotted a black-skinned, bipedal like Pokémon with fins on its back and for arms, a strange, rounded head with rounded fins popping out the side. It fell in a glide, landing not far from where he was and hissed threateningly at the Dynamax Pokémon, which started to rise.

A Lucario shot by in the next second, and he swore it was Cassandra's, but then he spotted the clip in its ear. A Roserade trotted by next, followed by a massive Milotic and Togekiss, all of whom glanced their way. The fairy-type Pokémon did pause, though, and gave off beads of water that splashed against his body. His pain was instantly soothed some, though not all.

"You did well to hold out against these monsters," a feminine voice spoke, and Raihan looked back to find a tall, blonde woman clad solely in black and with strange, bulb like ornaments poking out from the side of her head. Her bangs covered one eye, of which had a strong, cool gaze, but a warm smile for him. She had an intense aura about her—one which reminded him of Leon. At her side, was a crazy looking ghost, a vicious green smile plastered on its purple body littered with green spots.

"Uh, thanks," he managed to speak as he stood up, Flygon rising with him. "Name's Raihan, love. Who do I owe the honors?"

"Cynthia, Champion of Sinnoh."

"Well, shit. I'm extra honored. Don't suppose you're here to give a Gym Leader a hand?"

"Intuitive, aren't you?" she chuckled, holding out her hand to him. "Yes, I am here to help."

Raihan stared as he took her hand and helped ease him up. Flygon chirped curiously at her and accepted her touch.

She met his gaze, "You have a good bond with him. I can tell."

"He's one of my best buds. So, you ready to take on these Dynamax Pokémon? Me n' Cassandra's gang are ready to go," he grinned, and right on cue, Espeon leaped onto his shoulders. Beyond them, Bisharp was tossed back by their Pokémon while Golisopod finally rose once more, visibly tired and weakened.

"Ah, I see she lent her Pokémon to you. She trusts you a good deal then. I'm glad. Now, shall we, Raihan?"

The Gym Leader chuckled, "We shall. Try not to swoon over my skills, love."

"Oh my," Cynthia laughed, and the battle was on once more.

————————————————-

Hammerlocke - West Side

"Silver!"

The voice echoed as the red-haired trainer as he had his Alakazam put up a barrier to block the gear-like Pokémon's electrical strike, a Zap Cannon if he ever saw one. The type confused him, the Pokémon seemingly not weak to any rock attacks, but was hit hard by Gallade's punches and kicks. It annoyed him greatly, but at least he'd taken down the Pokémon that looked to be made up of nine tiny heads. Galar Pokémon were Arceus-forsaken strange, and powerful, too, which made it worse. He was having trouble keeping up against them despite Cassandra's Pokémon proving valuable allies. These "Dynamax" Pokémon were ridiculously strong and barely seemed to flinch from most attacks. They had endured countless now and the multi-one had only fallen maybe minutes ago. The Farfetch'd-like one and the gear were still going strong.

However, the tide was about to turn. Glancing up, Silver spotted Lance and Alder. They dove down in on their Dragonite and Druddigon. Dragons were just what they needed, and the two flying beasts shot off to attack the giant Pokémon. Silver was grateful, but lamented that, even when they went down, they still have Pokémon to fight. The emergency crews were doing alright, and he could see Team Rescue members flying in as the seconds went by. They should be able to handle things, especially the Pokémon that weren't gigantic, but just going wild.

"Lance, Alder. We need to take these two down so we can move on to the others. Do not underestimate them. Even with both Cassandra and I's Pokémon working together, I've only gotten one taken down. They're practically on part with Legendary-tier Pokémon," he explained quickly, wiping some blood from his lip where rubble had nicked him.

"Damn, that insane. I never knew their Dynamax could be this intense," Lance breathed, shaking his head as he unleashed his team of dragons and Gyarados. "I can send my Dragonite throughout the city to stat helping."

Alder hummed as he brought out his team, too, "What types are we looking at?"

"I thought the Farfetch'd one would be flying, but it seems weak to Psychic. The gear one... I'm not sure. Fighting hits it hard. Maybe steel? It uses electric types, though, so it might be like Magnemtite."

"Aaah, it's a Klinkang. It's steel. Don't worry, Volcarona can handle that," the Unova Champion laughed, eyes bright with excitement.

"Charizard can back you up. Focus your Alakazam on the Farfetch'd one. I'll have Dragonite use its aerial attacks."

Silver nodded, "Sounds like a plan. Go ahead and send out the rest to help the others. I'll do the same and start heading back to see how 'Cas is faring. She's where the Kings are."

"Wait—she's taking them on alone?" Lance balked before shouting commands to his Pokémon. They took off, either striking at the two Dynamaxed Pokémon, or spreading out to help the emergency crews along with the arriving Team Rescue members. He sighed, shaking his head, "What am I saying? Of course, she is! Arceus, help us."

"Tell me about it. At least she has a Legendary Pokémon with her or something. It's some giant one that looks like her Suicune a bit and has a sword."

"That Cassandra always did get herself into the most interesting of situations," Alder chuckled for a moment before his expression grew somber. "Silver, we'll handle this. Go to her. She needs a friend by her side. She can't face this alone. Not again."

"What do you—wait... you... You're the Unova Champion. You were there," the ruby-haired man breathed, realization dawning.

"I was. Which is why I know in dark times like these, when she takes the weight world onto her shoulders, she needs her friends more than ever. Now, hurry!"

Silver watched as Alder turned his attention to the Dynamax Pokémon, his mind reeling. Cassandra never did tell him what happened in Unova; of the terrible things she had endured to make her shut herself off from everyone. He'd been insulted and hurt and tried to understand why his old friend wouldn't even tell him when they'd come to trust one another entirely. He'd almost hated her for running, too, but, in the end, he couldn't. She was family, even if not by blood, and he cared for her. She was the first person who had seen who he was under all his anger and spite for his father and ultimately made him see it, too. He trusted her and knew he couldn't call himself her sister and especially not friend if he gave up. So, he'd waited for her to call all this time, and only found it a little amusing she'd finally called—for help.

He supposed that was Cassandra, though. She could never let evil lie, and if she could something—anything—to help, she would.

Now, it was his turn to help her.

Turning on his heel, he called to his and the redhead's Pokémon, and jogged towards center area, stopping only to help those in need.

———————————

Hammerlock - Central

Cassandra's only sign of danger was the sudden roar of her Arcanine, which lunged towards her and crashed right into Swordward. He howled in rage as the fire type snarled and spit fire, hackles raised while avoiding a sword swing. The man was enraged, swinging his blade wildly, and then screamed before turning to face Cassandra.

"I will kill you for what you've done!" he bellowed and charged again.

Arcanine would not let him go, though, lunging forward. He missed as the man dodged just in time, but continued his charge. He twisted and turned, dodging the silver of the blade just as the man barely missed fang and fire. Clothes were ripped, though, and singed, and scratches soon emerged, his screams of fear and fury filling the air. Cassandra called for her Pokémon to stop, but he was relentless, refusing to let the man near his trainer. He bit and snarled and gnashed his teeth and spit flame after flame, until--at least; he leaped and found purchase, sinking his fangs into the man's shoulder. He screamed as the fire type flung him some feet away, rolling him and spraying blood on the stones. Arcanine refused to stop, lunging as the man rolled onto his back and fire flaring between his fangs. There was a flash of metal. Her Pokémon landed on top the man, but the once readied flame cut short. Instead, the Pokémon flinched, blue eyes wide, and then slumped. Swordward grunted as he began to shove the fire-type off, staggering away with his sword, clutching his shoulder with his free hand.

His blade was covered in blood.

Arcanine didn't get up.

He didn't even move.

A wretched scream ripped from Cassandra's throat. Her feet, once frozen, sprinted forward, knocking Swordward away, who went stumbling and fumbling, shaken by her Arcanine's assault. Boltund, Corviknight, and Lapras quickly move to stand between while she pulled her Arcanine's head into her lap. Her hand found the wound, and when she pulled it back, her entire palm was painted with wet, sticky red fluid. She couldn't breathe, couldn't think. She tried to say his name, but the words came out in chokes. She shook him, pet him, stroked his face, smearing it with red, but the Pokémon's eyes were listless and the body still.

He was already cold.

There was so much blood

Just like before.

Just like N.

Arcanine was gone.

Her dearest friend and Pokemon was dead.

She couldn't save him.

An unholy sound came from her, sorrow and despair mixing with a terrible, hateful rage. She hugged her Arcanine close, and beside her Pidgeot let out an agonizing shrill as she cried out to the fire-type. Tyranitar howled in anger and sorrow and turned its darkened eyes on the man. An orb of light appeared in its jaw, and it fired off a Hyper Beam wildly, just barely missing. The others began to follow suit, Corviknight and Luxray starting to herd the man into a corner with Steel Wing and Thundershock, snarling, shrieking, and growling at him. Lapras blast with Ice Beam, blocking an attempted escape route.

"Kill him!" Cassandra screamed, the hate burning in her. The only reason they didn't move right away was the fall of another Dynamax Pokémon, whose energy burst free. Zacian made a pained sound, but also an enraged one. She snarled and barked, the dark energy sparking more wildly now. Her pupils seemed to fade, golden irises glowing. The blade's energy grew erratic, and there was a fierce pressure coming from the Pokémon.

"Kill himkill him kill him kill him! Kill him!" the redhead continued to shriek, tears streaming down her face as she clutched Arcanine tight. Tyranitar prepared another blast, and her Pokémon readied to follow her commands, but a terrible, snarling howl from Zacian stopped them, the sound followed by a powerful wave of energy fueled by the raw power of the Pokémon. It knocked them to their feet and flung Swordward back. He scrambled up and, of all things, laughed.

"Yes—yes, yes yes! That's it! There! This is its true nature—a wild beast! It is my ancestors who were the true saviors of this land! The ones who stopped this foul creature and used its power to subdue Eternatus! Look, you pitiful wretch, that is your precious he—"

He could say no more as Zacian was suddenly on him, blade swinging. It was by sheer luck the man ducked down in time, and, fear suddenly taking over, he scrambled away as the building that had been behind him was cleaved in two. Zacian howled angrily and lashed out every which way in her failure. There was no sense to her movements, and she even slashed at her comrades, who backed away to protect their trainer. Cassandra didn't care, though; she only saw the blood pooling around her Arcanine and the red on his fur and felt only the hatred for that man who had taken her precious Pokémon.

"Cassandra!" a voice called, but she didn't dare look who. A hand grasped her shoulder, but she shrugged it away.

"Stay away!" she shrieked, turning a fierce glare at the one who touched her. She flinched when she saw it was Leon. Beyond him, Zamazenta stood, despair in his features.

Sister, no! Stop! He bellowed and lunged forward to meet the other legendary's blade. His sister only snarled, striking hard. Stop! Please! Return to your senses!

"What is going on!? What happened to—wait... is that... Oh no," Leon breathed, finally seeing the pool of blood—and the smears of red. Now he understood why she was sobbing, why she raged. Arceus, help him—help her. He'd been too late. Leon knelt to quickly embrace her. "Cassandra, I'm so sorry, but you have to let him go! We have to stop Zacian, she's gone mad!"

"Good, let him kill that fucking piece of shit! He deserves to die for what he did to Arcanine!" she sobbed, shoving Leon away. He visibly flinched, eyes wide.

"Zacian's destroying the town! You have to stop her!"

"Let her! Let it burn so long as those bastards die!"

"Cas—!" he tried again, his heart dropping. He didn't know what to do. He didn't know how to comfort her. She was consumed by the loss of her Pokémon and he couldn't reach her. It made his stomach twist so much he felt nauseous. His heart ached even more, knowing even as her lover he could do nothing to save her. Again.

His stupor was broken as a young man with ruby hair came storming towards them. Her Pokémon parted for him, and Leon watched, dumbfounded, as the man suddenly grabbed the redheaded woman's collar, dragged her up, and slapped her hard across the face. Leon shot up, snarling and ready to shout at him, but the man spoke first.

"Cassandra wake the fuck up!" he bellowed, and the sheer surprise of it all did seem to knock some sense back. She touched her smarting cheek, eyes wide. Silver pointed at Zacian. "Your Pokémon is going wild destroying the town and you're sitting here doing nothing! Arcanine is dead, and I am sorry for that, but this whole town will burn, and more people will die if you don't do something now! You're the only who can, and the rest of us are too busy trying to protect everyone else. So Arceus help me, either you get a fucking grip, or I will make you!"

He didn't need to say more. Cassandra looked from her long-time rival and friend to the scene around her. Fires, smoke, debris, and bodies and blood painted the city. It was chaos, and now Zacian—her Pokémon—was running rampant.

Because of her.

Because she was angry.

Because she couldn't keep Zacian from fighting.

Because she'd wanted Zacian to be angry and to kill.

And she had.

Her Pokémon still was.

"What have I done?" Cassandra breathed, and, taking one last look at her fallen Arcanine, she knew what she had to do. She didn't want to leave her precious fire-type, but she couldn't let her let her newest companion fall to the madness the false kings so badly wanted. It would have made her Arcanine's death been in vain.

So, she ran—right towards the legendary, ignoring the shouts from Leon and Silver. Zamazenta blocked another attack from Zacian and managed to counter with a body slam of his own, still crying out for his sister. It was then Cassandra realized Zacian wasn't answering. Her mind was clouded by the dark energy, and her brother couldn't reach. She would have to do it another way. She didn't know if it would work, but she had to have faith it would.

After all, if she could believe in the warrior, then she could do anything, right? The redhead just hoped she believed in herself. Either way, she had to try as she ran right in front of the Pokémon, arms held out.

"Zacian, stop! Stop! Please! I'm sorry! This is all my fault! No more killing! No more fighting! Please! Come back to your senses!" she shouted, ignoring the concerned cries of her human companions. The legendary just snarled, slamming a paw down near her. She dodged it, though, and lunged forward to take the beast's head into her arms, squeezing tight so the snout was pressed into her chest. "Zacian! It's me! I'm sorry! Please stop! You don't have to fight anymore! It's okay!"

The Pokémon struggled at first, but not as thoroughly. Cassandra tried to reach for the bond. She called to Zacian, begged her to stop; to not become the monster their enemy wanted. She was a noble warrior, not a beast. The redhead called and called and pleaded, and then screamed as the dark energy flared off the legendary's body. It struck her as it hadn't before, and she suddenly knew the pain her Pokémon had been in the whole time. A deep sorrow filled her, and she willed the strength to save Zacian. She believed she could do it, and the energy continued to flare off and out, forcing everyone back, until, at last, it was done.

Her body felt weak, and Zacian was the same, the sword dropped from her mouth, reverting to an ancient, rusted blade. The legendary collapsed in her regular form, armor dissipating. She panted heavily, weak groans coming from her. Cassandra groaned, too, body aching as if she'd been hit by a Taurus. She supposed she almost had.

Chosen.

She looked and found the Pokémon's golden eyes staring at her. Tears welled once more and she sobbed, stroking the furry brow. She had lost one, but she had at least saved another.

"I'm sorry—I'm so sorry. I did that to you. I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I—."

"No—no, no, no, no no no! No! You insufferable piece of garbage, you've ruined everything!" a voice that refused to die boomed, and Cassandra turned just as Swordward came rushing at her, sword raised once against to strike her down. She was too weak to move quickly, and even Zacian struggled to rise. "I'll end you both now, once and for all!"

Arcanine wasn't there to help her this time, but Leon was. The sword was met with a rusted shield, Zamazenta having released his power to the purple-haired man, who deflected the sword slice with ease. Swordward was thrown back in surprise and then was sent flying when Leon slammed the shield into the man's face. He fell the ground, face a bloodied mess with his nose broken, and would have risen again, but Tyranitar had lumbered over along with Lucario and Charizard, who now stared him down, ready to strike. Leon pushed between, a fierce look on his face.

"For your sake: stay the fuck down. Guys, keep him here until the authorities come. If he moves... do whatever you want," he growled, making a point to kick Swordward's weapon away. The three Pokémon growled in affirmation, the fire-type spitting a flame for good measure. That done, Leon quickly moved to Cassandra's side. Silver was already there, steadying her to a sitting position. He didn't hesitate to move in and embrace her, though, which she returned weakly. Zamazenta had followed and he nuzzled his sister Pokémon gently. Zacian made a whine but wagged her tail. They were both tired. Very tired.

"Don't scare me like that, 'Cas, jeez," the young man breathed, not wanting to let go, but he pulled back to give her some air and kiss her brow.

"Sorry—I... Arcanine... Can you take me to him?" she whispered, and her lover nodded. Silver watched, just in case he was needed, and followed along with his own Pokémon. The three standing guard remained so, preventing the would-be king from moving as Leon brought Cassandra over her fallen companion. He set her by his head, which she took in her lap again. Her tears started anew, pressing her face into his fur.

"...I'm sorry. He... He was always a good Pokémon. To you. To me. And even to mine," Silver spoke somberly, and like him, his Pokémon that had stayed close lowered their heads. Even Feraligator made a sad rumble, the Pokémon his own rival—and friend.

Cassandra didn't reply, crying quietly. She only dared looked up as a pair of roars echoed and from the sky landed a Dragonite and a Druddigon. A pair of men descended, one with reddish hair and black attire matched with a cape, and the other a lightly tanned man with hair like fire clad in white and orange. Their faces were somber as they saw the scene and approached reverently, their Pokémon quiet, though on watch.

"Oh no... 'Cas," the Dragonite rider sighed, coming beside Silver.

"Alder. Lance. Did you take care of the rest?" he asked, and they nodded.

"Team Rescue is sweeping through as we speak. The rest should be moving to the Wild Area shortly," Alder gestured. His voice became a growl, fist clenching, "Who did this?"

"It was that bastard over there. He's got a lot to answer for. He had another with him, but I haven't seen them since the Pokémon grew gigantic," Silver ground out.

Lance sent a glare to the man before returning his gaze to the red-haired woman and the Pokémon in her grasp. He had yet to know the loss of a Pokémon, but he'd known her and her Pokémon for a long, long time. The fire-type had always been loyal and brave and strong, and always loving and kind to his trainer and friends. He'd always admired their companionship—the fierce bond the two shared, and now it was gone. He wasn't sure if even he could have handle that, and yet, if what Alder had told him of her time in Unova, this wasn't the first time for her. He didn't know how his friend could still be holding it even marginally together right now.

He crouched won, touching her shoulder gently, "I'm so sorry, 'Cas. Arcanine was..."

"—the best," she finished, choking on a sob. Leon wrapped his arm around her, pulling her close as he stroked the fallen Pokémon's fur as well. He pulled back suddenly, though, when the body began to change; fur turned a dull grey and started to fade. Once vibrant colors turned dull, and the solid body gradually turned to ash. All that remained was his charcoal collar, which rest in her lap. Cassandra's sobs started anew as she took hold of it, squeezing it tight. It was the fate of all fire Pokémon that died—to turn to ash, their flames burned out. It hurt even more.

"Come on, let's get you to a safe place," Leon urged, but she shook her head as she tried to stand. He was there to steady her, the others looking on with empathy—especially Alder. He, too, had felt loss of a Pokémon before.

"No, we need to make sure Raihan is okay. Gloria and Hop, too, and the other Leaders. And there's still more to be done. My Pokémon and I can still help."

And I can still fight, Zacian grunted as she pushed up, like her trainer, and limped over.

Zamazenta braced against her to use as support, Sister, you need to rest. Your body is not yet healed.

There is still much to be done, the injured warrior groaned, managing to make it to the small crowd, earning looks of awe from the two newcomers. She collapsed back down to a lying position, though, panting; the effort taking almost all she had. Stubborn. Not unlike Cassandra. The woman chuckled, using Leon as her own crutch of sorts to come over to her Pokémon. She, too, fell, though just as he reached them, alarming her lover and friends.

"It's fine—I'm just... really tired," she groaned, exhaustion sweeping over her, making her dizzy. She didn't remember much before that; just a worried sound from Zamazenta, and then also from Leon and her friends as the ground rushed up at her and the world went dark.

———————————-

To be continued....

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10.9K 153 17
Quick Note: This story is not accurate in the Pokemon sword and shield plot... Some words will contain cringe or out of context sentence, Game Break...
12.4K 550 46
Requests: CLOSED! Hi there! Ever wanted to know how Leon would react to your confession seconds before death? Or what would happen if Lillie fell dow...
51 14 6
I am a future novelist dumping an idea from my head onto Wattpad in hopes that a few people will be able to enjoy it xd. This is basically of my take...
48.6K 865 34
Basically, a typical betrayal story...without a betrayal, so to speak. Basically, Ash's pals think it is time to try something new. His Kalos league...