Wicked Game [Nick Stokes] (CS...

By LauraWinchester26

We never know what fate has in store for us and following your dreams is not always as beautiful as it seems... More

1. Next Stop, Vegas Please
3. Love Can Kill
4. Echo
5. Forever Young
6. I Warned Myself
7. Compass
8. Start A War

2. If I Killed Someone For You

603 16 4
By LauraWinchester26

"¿Would you love me more if I killed someone for you? ¿Would you hold my hands? They're the same ones that I used when I killed someone for you"

It had been a few days since I started working and since my first case. It had been a very quiet week. Week I took the opportunity to meet the rest of the team, because we don't work independently; Captain Jim Brass, homicide detective and the person we turn to when we need anything legally. Our key lab tech Greg Sanders is first-rate, he's always smiling and making jokes. Doctor Al Robbins, Chief Coroner, is our secret weapon, not only he is sharp he's also not disturbed by the actions and habits of humanity.

According to statistics, Tuesday and Wednesday are the days of least criminal activity, so that would explain why half the team had the night off. Since that night only Grissom and I would be there, he promised me that he would introduce me more to his specialty, forensic entomology. I left my bag in my locker when I received a message from Grissom saying he was waiting for me outside, we had a 420. I started studying the codes used by CSIs and police officers and I knew what a 420 was; homicide. Grissom drove in silence until we reached the crime scene. Police had already cordoned off the area, but there were a lot of people around, including journalists. Sergeant Ray O'Riley was waiting for us, he was the one who called Grissom.

-Press is going to be all over this one –he warned us- Four dead; mother, father and two teenage boys. Sisters were luckier. Teen girl heard a noise and hid in the closet. Alerted the neighbors. The younger sister, Brenda, is over there.

-¿What's the matter with your guys? –Grissom asked him when he saw a couple of officers leaving the house to vomit.

-They've been inside.

-I want the paramedics that ran this house back here immediately and call dispatch, you tell all my entire graveyard shift that I want them here ASAP; all of them, no exceptions –Grissom ordered the Sergeant- I'm going to do a preliminary walkthrough and you are going to take my notes, Laura.

We put on gloves and entered the house. The lights were off so we were going with the flashlight and being careful where we stepped. Just entering the house, something started to move in my stomach. I had the feeling that the murders had been brutal.

-The air smells like copper; lots of blood. Breathe through your mouth –Grissom indicated as we climbed the stairs and then we found the first body- Male Caucasian, approximately 40 years old, lying in a pool of blood. No drag marks and body does not appear to have been moved. Multiple stab wounds to the back and neck.. looks like a single edge blade. Head faces west, the feet pointing east.

-Grissom, ¿can you take your own notes? –I asked as I was dizzy and retching- I need a minute.

-I got it –Sara appeared from nowhere and took the notebook I was writing on- Go get some fresh air.

I left the house without touching anything focused on not throwing out until getting a barf bag. Luckily, when I breathed fresh air and leaned on the SUV to have a fixed place, I was starting to feel better again. After a few minutes, the other team members began to arrive but Nick was the first to do it. He parked right next to me and when he got out of the car, he saw me.

-Hey, ¿what are you doing out here? –I looked at him and then he knew- ¡Oh! ¿That bad, huh?

-I thought it would never happen to me.. react like this.

-We all think it won't happen to us and then it does, so don't give it too much credit and wait to see a decomposing corpse.

-¡Wow! ¿Aren't you the life of the party? –I said ironically and we both smiled.

Once the whole team was together, Grissom told us how we were going to work and what each one was going to do.

-First rule for the crime scene; do not do any interviews. Second rule; don't talk to the sheriff either. Killer was here not two hours ago, he left part of himself behind.

-Edmond Locard's exchange principle –I muttered, according to what Grissom said. In forensic science, Locard's principle holds that the perpetrator of a crime will leave something behind and take something with them.

-Exactly –Grissom nodded- Catherine, Sara, I need you inside, mapping and blood samples. Nick, Warrick, the perimeter. I wanna know how he got here, how he got in, how he got out and how he left.

-I'll take the back, ¿Warrick you got the front? –Nick asked.

-You got it.

-Laura, I need you to transport the little girl to Sunrise Hospital for a psych evaluation. Once you've done it, come back here.

I nodded and headed to the police car where the little girl was sitting bundled up in a police jacket. She showed no emotion, instead she kept staring at the house. I bent down in front of her and looked at her with a slight smile.

-¡Hi! My name is Laura, ¿is your name Brenda? –suddenly, she looked at me but she didn't say anything- ¿Do you want to go for a ride with me?

***

After taking Brenda to the hospital and leaving her with the woman from Family Services and the Doctor, I went back to the crime scene, just like Grissom told me. When I arrived, I found him trying to escape the press.

-Grissom, I'm back –I approached him- The doctor will page me when he's done with the evaluation. ¿Where do you want me meanwhile?

-¿Do you think you can take the interior of the house? –he asked due to my reaction before.

-Yes, I do.

-Grissom –a man in a suit approached us, and then he saw me- ¿Who's this?

-This is Laura –he kindly stated- She's the new CSI.

-¿Do you think it's okay to put a rookie on a high-profile case?

-I know what I'm doing, Sheriff.

-Mayor just called.. ¿so what do you've got? –Grissom denied with his head- Just give me something I can run with, I have to talk to the press.

-As soon as I have something, you'll have something.

In the most elegant way, Grissom excused us and we entered the house again. For a couple of hours, I helped Catherine and Sara collect blood samples from every blood splatter and record each one on the crime scene map. The map was going to help us clarify the situation of how the crime was committed.

-¿What's your take? –I asked them.

-Whoever did it, killed the mother first, in her sleep quick–Sara began to explain.

-Explains why the blood is confined in the bed and the floor under it.

-Husband woke up, ran to protect his kids –Sara continued- The killer stabbed him and then finished him off down the hall.

-Gave his life for the little girl –I concluded, since he died near Brenda's door.

My phone rang indicating that I had received a message from the hospital. They had finished the psychological evaluation, so I had to go. I said goodbye to the girls and I went down the stairs. David, the forensic assistant, was walking out the door carrying the body of a family member. Before exiting the house, Nick lifted the sheet that covered the body and covered it again pissed off.

-This kid should be out playing football –he exhaled and then hit the door.

-This is getting under your skin, huh –he just looked at me with a frown so I decided to try to make him laugh to calm him- Don't give it too much credit and wait to see how it swells.

-¿That's what I get for helping you before? –he smiled at me knowing that I returned his joke.

-Put some ice on it before the swelling starts –I answered with a smile.

***

Connie, the Family Services person assigned to the case, and I were waiting when the doctor left the office and came to see us with Brenda. We both got up as soon as we saw them arrive.

-Brenda's fine but I'd like her to have a consult –he looked at his wrist watch- I've paged the psychiatric resident, he should be here within the hour.

-Thanks –Connie said placing her hand on Brenda's back- I'll take it from here.

-¿What's the head exam for? –I asked.

-I said we'll take it from here –she insisted- It's already going to be tense.

-Look, if there's any forensic evidence found during this exam, I need to be there –suddenly, Brenda pulled away from Connie and hugged me around the waist- It's okay Brenda, I'm not leaving you.

***

After a couple of hours in the hospital with Brenda, I got a message from Warrick saying that we were all going to meet in the break room to review the case. When I arrived at the Crime Lab everyone was muttering about a suspect.

-Hey, I heard you have a suspect –I entered the room and went straight to the fridge to get my sandwich, then I sat down.

-We have about four and with the tire prints alone –Warrick answered.

-Let's talk about what else we have –Grissom put on his glasses- Tina Collins' pajama top from the murder scene without a drop of blood on it.

-¿How do you explain that? –I asked- If my whole family was murdered, I'd run to them to check to see if they are still alive.

-We are about to go ask her –Catherine answered- Nick, ¿what did you find out about the stuff that you collected at the back of the house?

-¿The bidi? –he bit his sandwich and continued explaining- DNA still processing but Tina said nobody in the family smoked.

-So a non-family member was out there –Sara summarized.

-¿Bidi? ¿Bidi? –Grissom repeated- I thought you found a cigarette and a match behind the house.

-It's just like a cigarette –he answered trying not to laugh- Kids smoke them they think there's less carbon monoxide.

-¿What did you find out about the psychic exam on the little girl? –Catherine asked me.

-The shrink says the kid is in a catatonic state from the trauma. I could've told you that, but she did respond at the name "Buffalo". She freaked out.

-¿Where is she? –Grissom asked.

-I left her in the car, the windows are cracked –I answered with a straight face and everyone looked at me with their mouths open- Give me a little credit, she's at the hospital.

When they realized I was teasing them, they breathed a sigh of relief and then laughed about it. Warrick, Nick and Sara went to question the other three suspects, who shared the scooter, the getaway vehicle. Catherine, Grissom and I went to talk with the teenage daughter, Tina.

-I don't know why I didn't get blood on my pajamas, I just didn't.

-But your statement says that you bent down and hugged your mother, who was bleeding profusely –Catherine stated- Then you ran out, tripping over your father's body in the upstairs hallway.

-But there was no blood on you –Grissom looked at her.

-I saw my family dead, I was scared.. I ran to the neighbors. That is the truth.

-The evidence is telling us a different story.

-Guys, Nick matched the matches found in the back of the house with the matches from a suspect –Jim Brass entered the room- Kid's name is Jesse Overton, he time shares the scooter, he admits to having sex with your girl and he's asking for a lawyer. I want to get a warrant and search his house.

-I want to see my sister –Tina said nervously- You don't understand, I need to speak with her.

-She won't speak, the doctor says it's from trauma. –I said, unable to contain myself anymore- ¿What happened, Tina? ¿Did she catch your boyfriend killing your family?

***

Apparently, Brass found the getaway vehicle dismantled by pieces tossed in the trash at the main suspect's house, and that wasn't the only thing, he also found bloodstained jeans. Genius criminal. We got to do a polygraph test even though we already knew it was him, but we wanted to know the truth. This time, the whole team was behind the observation glass and a professional asked the questions, but we wrote them down.

-¿Did Tina Collins approached you at school and asked you to kill her family?

-Yes.

-¿Did you kill her family?

-Yes.

-¿Did Tina let you in the front door the night of the killings?

-Yes.

-¿Did she already have a knife for you?

-No, she let me choose.

-¿Did you use that knife to kill Barbara Collins, Mr. Collins and both sons?

-Yes.

-¿Did Tina Collins tell you she wanted them dead so you could see each other?

-Yes.

After the last question, we all left the room and sat on the benches outside. Brass was in charge of talking to the professional about the test. It didn't take long for him to come out with the result sheet.

-Well, the sick bastard was on the open up except your last question –he explained- Operator says his respiratory reactions were inconsistent. He's lying.

-We got them both –Nick said- I don't much care why they did it.

-I'm with you there –Warrick agreed.

-I care –Grissom mumbled- I don't like holes. ¿What are they hiding?

***

After Grissom reviewed all the evidence again, he found something that was the reason for me to return to the hospital. He found a silver necklace with an engraved buffalo on it. I followed my boss's orders, so I took the ultraviolet camera and went to Brenda Collins' room.

-This is a very special camera because it can see deep into your skin, can see things nobody can see –I explained to her- ¿How about if I take a picture of me first, okay?

I raised my arm and photographed it for her to see that it didn't hurt. She nodded and smiled slightly, so with her permission, I untied the knot of the medical gown she was wearing and lowered to her shoulders.

-¿Are you ready?

She nodded again with a paralyzing look, and then I took the picture. The most important thing was to reveal the photograph and discover if our theory was correct and if it was, it was a tragedy. Sadly, the photo reveal confirmed it.

***

Despite having both of them, we had to talk to the teenage sister, Tina Collins, one last time to tell her that we knew what happened and why they did it. Grissom and Brass entered the interrogation room and showed Tina her sister's picture. She put her hand on her mouth and closed her eyes.

-We have forensic evidence that your father sexually abused your sister –Grissom said- We also know that he was in her room the night of the murders.

-¿How can you tell?

-Blood drops –he answered- They fall a certain way depending on the motion of the victim. Something horrible happened in that house, ¿didn't it Tina?.. Long before the night of the murders.

-That was the last night he was gonna touch her –she said in an angry tone.

-¿But why your mother and why your brothers?

-Because they should have protected me –she changed her tone from anger to sadness- My father.. I was young, I learned to deal but when he went for my daughter..

Dead silence. Desolation and pain filled our silence as we exchanged looks.

-¿Brenda is..? –Grissom couldn't finish his question- ¿And who is..?

-¿The father? –she finished for him- I was 13 and nobody noticed that my clothes were getting bigger. ¿Nice, huh? Brenda may hate me for what I did but I protected her.

***

After Tina went back to jail and Brenda was taken to Family Services, it was when I allowed myself to collect my things and finish the day. When I got to the locker room, I saw Grissom gathering his things and Nick sitting on the bench with an ice pack on his hand.

-It will be back in normal in 24 hours –Grissom said to him.

-Normal would be nice.

-¿What is normal? –I tossed without thinking, but that question made Grissom stop- Normality is a question of our point of view, our interpretation of reality and it's also a way to ignore our problems. For that girl, normality was being abused. For me, it became normal to see my uncle drink half a bottle of whisky each day, but in reality, he was becoming an alcoholic.

-You are right–Grissom nodded- Normal is an illusion; what is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.

***

Hey! I'm back with a new chapter! I really wanted to write this case because it was one of the most shocking ones.. Hope you enjoyed it and I'd loveto see your thoughts and opinions! See you soon! :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

166K 3.2K 59
The graveyard shift is never an easy one, not even for the most experienced of CSI's. Meet Miki Romani, Vegas born and bred and the new girl on the b...
29.7K 1.4K 59
Stasia I was tossed out and shunned by my family for something that wasn't my fault. Instead of letting my heartache break me I built a life for mys...
2.5K 92 22
Years after moving to San Diego to become the Director of the Crime Lab, Nick Stokes should be used to all kinds of threats against him, and his lab...
To Us By Hypatia

Fanfiction

32.8K 552 26
Jessie Parker, one of the most beautiful and clever women in the world, joins the CSI team in Las Vegas. She meets her new family after she lost her...