Extra Company

By Juniperlives43

*Not completed just preventing wattpad from deleting it* Gandalf searches for someone who could prove useful... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
IMPORTANT
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39

Chapter 9

4.2K 134 2
By Juniperlives43

"Our business is no concern to elves." Thorin spoke fimly, casting a small glance towards Elrond, before looking back up at Gandalf. Bilbo and I exchanged a small look before watching the scene before us unfold.

"For goodness sake Thorin, show him the map!" Gandalf said in frustration from next to Elrond. It has been like this for almost thirty minutes ... and Thorin still refused to show the map to the elven king.

"It is the legacy of my people." Thorin countered firmly, looking up at Gandalf calmly. "It is mine to protect, as are its secrets." I raise a brow, what is so secret about a map?

"Save me from the stubbornness of dwarves." Gandalf shook his head before stating firmly, "You stand in the presence of one of the few in Middle Earth who can read that map." He gestured to Elron saying, "Show it to Lord Elrond."

Thorin let out a sigh, before looking over at Elrond, slipping his hand into his jacket, as he began to take out the map. Balin stopped his arm for a moment saying, "Thorin, no." But Thorin simply yanked his arm out of Balin's grip before handing the map to Elrond.

Elrond took the paper from Thorin's hand, opening it, "Erebor." Elrond then looked over at Thorin asking, "What is your interest in this map?"

Thorin opened his mouth, about to answer till Gandalf butt in quickly, "It's mainly academic." Thorin looked over at Gandalf slightly surprised, "You still read ancient Dwarvish do you not?" Thorin closed his mouth in that moment, looking back over at Elrond.

Elrond looked back down at the map, examining it further as he turned around to shine it in the light in order to see if better. "Moon runes." Elrond spoke in his elvish tongue, causing me to look at him in surprise. I didn't even know those existed anymore ... exactly how old is this map?

"Moon runes?" Gandalf repeated. "Of course. An easy thing to miss." I look over at Gandalf, raising a brow, his sight must be getting worse with his age.

"Well, in this case, that is true." Elrond stated, looking over at Gandalf. "Moon runes can only be read by the light of the moon, of the same shape and season they were written." Elrond informed, glancing back down at the map.

"Can you read them?" Thorin questioned firmly, taking a few steps towards the elf.

Elrond's gaze drifted to Thorin as he answered, "These runes were written on a Midsummer's eve by the light of a crescent moon nearly 200 years ago."

"I admire that map for holding out for 200 years." I whisper to Bilbo who nodded in agreement as he gazed at the map in awe.

"It would seem you were meant to come to Rivendell." Elrond spoke as he walked up onto the platform before walking towards a crystal stone. The falls booming as they poured down on three different sides, almost blocking the moonlight. We followed him up, Thorin taking his place by Elrond's side. "Fate is with you Thorin Okenshield. The same moon shines upon us tonight."

As soon as the words left Elrond's lips, the cloud blocking the moon cleared its way, allowing the moon to shine down onto the white crystal. "Stand by the gray stone when the thrush knocks, and the setting sun with the last light of Durin's Day will shine upon the keyhole." Elrond read.

"Durin's Day?" Bilbo questioned, looking between Gandalf and I.

"It is the start of the dwarves' new year, when the last moon of autumn and the first sun of winter appear in the sky together." Balin explained from in front of us, looking back at Bilbo for a moment before turning his attention back on Thorin.

"This is ill news. Summer is passing." Thorin spoke, looking over at Balin. "Durin's Day will soon be upon us."

"We still have time." Balin said, taking a few steps towards Thorin.

"Time? For what?" Bilbo questioned, looking at Balin confused.

"To find the entrance." Balin answered, glancing back at Bilbo for a single moment. "We have to be standing in exactly the right spot at exactly the right time." Balin said, hope dripping from his every word as he spoke to Thorin. "Then, and only then, can the door be opened." I tense up, they just gave away their true purpose.

"So this is your purpose, to enter the mountain." Elrond spoke, looking between the two dwarves.

"What of it?" Thorin questioned with an aggressive tone.

"Some would not deem it wise." Elrond responded, handing Thorin the map.

"What do you mean?" Gandalf questioned.

"You two are not the only guardians watching over Middle Earth." Elrond responded, before walking away, leaving Gandalf and I to our thoughts.

Eventually we all separated as I made my way back to my room, I opened to see Galadriel standing in the middle of the room, taking a look around. "Galadriel ... What are you doing here?" I questioned, closing the door behind me.

"I have come to return your amor." Galadriel stated, gesturing to my folded clothes and elven armor besides my moss patch. "I also came to give you this." Galadriel held out her hands to reveal an elven bow, a marking of a mountain in the shape of a wolf was on it. Similar to my book. I take the bow out of her hands, examining it.

"Thank you." I say, smiling up at her.

"I figure you will need it." Galadriel stated, before walking out of my room, leaving me to my new bow. I walk over to my amor, changing into it quickly, and strapping the sword to my hip. I pulled the cloak over me, placing my bow over my shoulders along with the quiver. I then picked up my boots along with my socks, carrying them out with me as I left my room, going to find the company. 

I found the room the company was in, I smiled softly at their sleeping forms, before sitting outside, leaning up against the wall. I couldn't find the courage in me to fall asleep, the nightmares grew worse in this place, the only time I got some hours of shut eye was when I laid in the tub for a bit before I started my bath. But that night, I could see him as clear as day, his voice echoing all around me.

"Can't sleep lass?" I look over seeing Balin, looking down at me with a sympathetic expression.

I let out a sigh, "More or less."

Balin sat down beside me, "You are going to have a long day tomorrow, you should get some rest."

I chuckle, "You sound like Gandalf." I then pulled out my book, flipping to the page where I was working on Balin's drawing, it was almost complete, just a few details needed to be added here and there.

"Maybe because he can see what I see." Balin stated, looking out into the night. I look over at him confused, cocking my head to the side slightly. "You started to show exhaustion these past few days, bags are also starting to grow under your eyes. Though they may be faint ... but it is still a sign you need rest."

I look away from him, and back down at the drawing, continuing my work. "I thank you for your concern Balin but ... I can't sleep even if I wanted to." I look over him, offering him a small smile, before going back down to my drawing. "You however, do need your rest. There is no need to stand watch here." I say, gesturing to the building we were in.

"That may be true, but we are due to leave early morning before the elves can stop us." Balin stated, adjusting his position. "We need someone to wake the others."

"Then I'll wake you all once the first light of dawn shines through." Balin looked over at me, seeming shocked. I giggle lightly, "Might as well make some use to this sleep trouble. Go rest up, I'll wake you first if you so wish."

Balin let out a sigh, giving me a small nod, "Thank you lass."

I smiled at him, watching him stand up, "Oh, Balin." I call him quietly, keeping my voice low. He looked over at me, humming in response. "You don't mind not telling the others about my little sleep problem, do you? They all have enough worries as it is."

"If that is what you wish lass." Balin replied, giving me a small nod, before walking into the room.

I look back down at my book, finishing out Balin's sketch as I let my mind wander to whatever it sees fit. I couldn't help but think about the dragon that resides in the mountain. What did he look like? I've seen many dragons ... killed most of them. Some I have deemed good, especially forest dragons. They are just big babies, literally they would cry over killing a small ant, or stepping on a flower.

But those that I have killed, weren't that great and were very dangerous. I almost lost my life a few times, one of them being the dragon wreaking havoc in the woodland realm. Now that one gave me a nasty scar under my wing, which can only be seen if you stand in the right spot.

I snap out of my thoughts, noticing a golden light shine onto my book. I look up, seeing the first light shine over the horizon. I close my book, standing up, reaching my arms up to stretch out my torso. I walk into the room, stepping over sleeping dwarves, going over to Balin first, giving him a soft shake. "Balin, it's the first light." I say softly, giving the old dwarf another shake.

Balin blinked open his eyes, sitting up, "Thank you lass, go start waking the others."

I did as told without complaint, going over to Bilbo, waking him up then to the dwarves sleeping around him while Balin went to wake up Thorin. Everyone got their things together while I went outside, each of them deciding to eat breakfast on the road. We all walked out of Rivendell with no trouble, walking along the ridge of the mountain.

Bilbo stopped, looking out towards Rivendell, seeming to give it one last look. "Master Baggins." Thorin called out as he stopped moving for a moment, stepping to the side allowing Balin to take lead. "I suggest you keep up." Thorin spoke, turning back around to follow Balin.

Bilbo continued walking, taking his place by my side. I look up towards the sky in slight alarm, the smell of rain reaching my nose, the air pressure changing. There's a storm coming. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.3K 183 23
First chapter published December 14th 2021. *I DO NOT OWN ANY OF THE CHARACTERS* (except Rebekah) *whole story edited Feb 2022* Rebekah's life had...
166K 6.4K 41
*SPOILERS BASED OFF ALL HOBBIT MOVIES* "This whole story; from beginning to end, was one of the best and most intriguing stories I have ever read on...
6.2K 149 17
■Thorin Oakenshield Fanfiction■ ■bewarned not edited enough, will fix at a later date■ Dragons, mythic beasts that was known for their destructive...
41.9K 1.3K 25
A Bofur X You romance following The Hobbit. I will try and update as much as I can. ^_^ please Read, Vote, Comment! Thank you!!!! I will try to keep...