Running With Wolves. Book i.

By Maroon1479

Mat always been the outcast. Being abandoned by her mother, growing up in a group home, and having a bad mout... More

i.
ii.
iii.
iv.
v.
vi.
vii.
viii.
ix.
x.
xi.
xii.
xiii.
xiv.
xv.
xvi.
xvii.
xviii.
xix.
xx.
xxi.
xxii.
xxiii.
xxv.
xxvi.
xxvii.
xxviii.
xxix.
xxx.
xxxi.
xxxii.
xxxiii.
xxxiv.
xxxv.
xxxvi.
Epilogue.

xxiv.

10.8K 245 20
By Maroon1479

I quickly turned away from her and squeezed my eyes shut, “No I’m not.” My whole body started to shake and it wasn't because of the freezer. My whole body actually felt really warm like I was getting a really, really hot shower. I was terribly uncomfortable and I felt sick in my stomach like I was going to puke.

“Don't hurt me.” I heard Emily whimper and I turned my head around to see her kneeling down and her arms around her. I turned around all the way and looked down at her confused because why would I hurt her? I stepped towards her and she cried out, “No! Stay back!”

“Emily, I'm not gonna hurt you.” I said. I jumped when the rogue wolf slammed real hard against the door and I turned around quickly, baring my teeth, “Go away! This is Alpha Lincoln territory and you have to leave! Now!” 

The wolf stopped and I heard him howling real loudly. My eyes widen since we were in a school! Does this wolf have no common sense? Apparently not. He isn't tamed, all sense is lost because he doesn't get that the secret important. He only cares about murder at the moment.

This sharp pain in my back came and I cried out in pain as I dropped to my knees. I leaned forward, the palm of my hands landed on the floor to catch myself. I saw my veins appearing and they turned black. I panicked. I got up and ran over towards the door. I tried opening it but it was locked. I couldn't get out from the inside way in.

“Killian!” I screamed loudly as I pounded on the door. “Killian! Blue! Nate!”

Killian

What made me stop writing my essay for Ancient Civilization class was this loud howling sound. My whole body froze and stiffened up. I stopped typing on the keyboards and I turned my head to look at Blue who was a few computers down from me. She was giving me the same surprised shocked look. Actually, the whole class had seemed to heard it.

“Oh God.” Blue said. “Mat!” We both quickly got up from the chairs and ran out of the room. Mr. Edwards tried to stop us and telling us to go back to our seats but we ignored him as we ran down the hallways. We stopped for a moment and tried to find her scent. I opened my senses and this strong odor smell hit me hard in the face. Blue gagged and closed her eyes, “This can't be happening—the cafeteria!” she said as we ran down the staircases and towards the cafeteria.

When we turned the corner we ran into someone real hard. I caught Blue just in time before she fell and Nate stared at us. We heard a growl and I turned my head around to see a wolf staring at us. Two other wolves appeared and none of them resembled Ramses.

“Oh shit.” Blue said. “Look at the size of them.”

They crouched in position and I pulled Blue behind us. All three of our eyes changed and we growled back at them but they didn't feel any threat from us.

“Leave.” Nate said coldly. “You wanna fight, lets do it in the woods. Don't risk all of our secret because of y’all.”

They growled at us and we stood our ground. The middle wolf then ran forwards towards us and I ran over to the fire alarm. I pulled it down and the loud siren sound rang loudly in the hallways. The wolf suddenly fell to the ground, whimpering and yelping in pain from the loud piercing sounds. We all crouch and fell to the ground because of it. The siren sound hurt our hearing and when I brought my hands up to my ears to cover them I could feel them bleeding. I opened my eyes enough to see the three rogue wolves get up, stumble over towards the large windows and jumped threw the glass.

Mat

I hadn't expect to hear the sounds of sirens go off and it only made things worse. I screamed as my hands came up to my ears before I got up and scratched at the walls, “Turn it off! Turn it off!” I lost control of my legs and I fell down to my side. I lifted myself up and saw Emily in the corner of my eyes. I turned to face her and she jumped, staying still. Her eyes widen as she looked at me and I dragged myself closer to her, “Emily—please, help me.”

“Ho-how?” she asked. “No! Stay back!”

I coughed real hard and continued to cough a few more times until blood spit out. “Please! I'm dying—“

“What?” she asked, her eyes growing concern. My arms quickly numbed up as if I had been laying on them and I fell down. My head hit the ground but my head was feeling heavy and numb so I couldn't feel much of it anyways. I turned on my back before I lost all feelings in my body. Emily crawled over towards me and hovered over me. “No, Mat you're lying.” she said as she looked down at me with fear as she reached out and lifted me up. She shook me, “Stop messing around.” Air was becoming hard to swallow down my throat and my breathing got harder. I looked up at Emily and she had tears going down her face as she shook her head. “Mat, I'm sorry. Please just don't die! I love you, you're like my sister. I need you! Oh god, I need you.” she said as she brought her head down against mine and the sirens finally stopped. “I know I’ve been mean about not needing you but I was only trying to be as brave as you are.”

I couldn't believe this was happening. I should have just stayed home like I was suppose to because this would have never happened.

Killian

Once the alarms were turned off I slowly lifted myself up. I shook my head, trying to control my dizziness. Nate helped Blue up from the ground and we heard a bunch of footsteps. We looked at each other before running away. We continued over towards the cafeteria and I was taken back when I saw the doors busted open. The cafeteria wasn't to much of a mess but I could smell the rogue scent in here with Mat's.

I ran over towards the kitchen and I looked around not seeing her. I heard the sound of sobbing and I looked at the freezer door. There was a small indent in the metal door. I went over towards the door and opened it. My eyes widen when I saw that human girl Mat cares about Emily holding Mat in her arms.

“Oh no.” Blue said as Nate said, “Shit.”

We ran over and Blue pushed Emily away. I knelt down next to Mat and touched her cold face. I lifted her up into my arms and shook her, “Mat. . .Mat!”

She stayed very still almost like she was dead and her eyes were opened a little. Her mouth was slightly part and I could hear faint breathing.

“What happened?” Blue coldly asked Emily who looked at Blue with fear as she stepped back. “Talk!”

“Blue!” Nate yelled at Blue. “Leave her alone. You know she didn't do anything.”

I brought my head down into her hair and held her close to me, “You're gonna be alright, Mat.” I said but I didn't want to promise anything. I don't even want to think about what's happening to her. I just wanted to hold her close in my arms pretending she wasn't dying. She can't dye right now because it was to early and it'll destroy me if she does.

I felt a hand go on my shoulder and I looked up to see Blue looking down at me, “We gotta go to Essie's house, she'll know what to do.” she said and I nodded. I put my arm under Mat's legs and lifted her up.

I turned to leave and took a step before I heard Emily behind me, “Wait, I wanna come.”

Blue growled and Nate growled at her. “No,” I said. “This isn't your problem anymore.”

“I am.” Emily coldly said behind us. “Mat is my friend and I don't want her to die.”

Blue turned around, “Go back to forgetting her and leave her alone—“

“Stop it, Blue.” I coldly said to her and she breathed out heavily from her nose as she glared at the 15 year old human. “Look, she knows about us. Just let her come.”

Mat

I don't remember when I passed out. I just remember Emily crying against my head and now it's all gone from my memory. Now this horrible gross liquid taste was being forced down my throat and I coughed heavily. My mouth was forced shut and I had no choice but to swallow the rest. I stayed still for a moment and my breathing actually felt normal. I'll never take breathing normally advantage again.

I opened my eyes a little, enough to look through my lashes to see Killian staring down at me. A big smile of relief appeared on his face and he chuckled, “You scared me to death, Mat."

I brought my hand up to my head and rubbed it before stretching stiff body, “What on Earth happened?” I said as I yawned. I slowly sat up from the couch I was on and looked around to see I was in someone home I didn't recognize. I recognize an older women who's in the pack and she was holding a wooden bowl. Everything rushed back to me and I groaned, bring my hand up to my forehead, “What happened to the rogue wolf?”

“Ran.” I heard Nate's voice. “There was two more with him. Alpha Lincoln pissed because allot of rogue are attacking different towns. Portland has a commutation today with some attacking the pack wolves home. They won't be staying long he feel and they'll be moving on. We don't know where though. Washington, Montana, California. I don't understand why this is happening.”

“They all killed the leader father long ago.” I said as I stood up and turned around when I felt like someone was behind me. My eyes widen I saw Emily there, not expecting her. I didn't really pay to much attention to what's in the air. “Emily.” I breathed out.

She stared at me for a moment before running around the couch and hugged me. I put my arms around her and hugged her. I looked up at Killian with a concern look before looking at Nate and Blue. “I thought you were going to die.” Emily said, crying against my chest. “I've been nothing but a brat to you and I'm sorry.”

I looked back at Killian, “What's gonna happen to her?” I asked him. “Nothing gonna happen right.”

Killian looked at Emily who stopped crying but stayed in my arms, “I'm not sure. Either be sent away or tested.”

“She'll be sent away?” I questioned. “Wait. What do you mean 'sent away'.”

“No you'll be sent away.” Blue said, walking over and gave Emily a hard look. “You were the one to expose yourself to her. You two would never be able to see each other again.”

“Oh.” I said, my mouth forming a small 'o' shape. “And the tested part? What does that mean?”

“Well the only time we ever expose ourselves to humans is like doctors or important people. We test them by showing them ourselves around them and see if they truly can keep a secret. Be brave in front of us, not try and scare them. If we need them on our side, we need their trust. People always say keep the human closer.” Nate said.

“You mean enemies.” I said.

He grinned, “Not to us. You can say humans become our pets.” He walked over towards us and pulled Emily out of my arms. I glared up at him but held his hand up. Emily looked scared as she looked up at him as he just stared down at her. His eyes turned yellow quickly and he bared his teeth, growling at her. Emily cried out scared, pulling herself apart from him and fell on the couch. She brought her arms up to her head, covering it as if Nate was really gonna attack her. Nate eyes turned back brown and he looked at me as I hit him roughly in the arm, “Better teach your friend allot about us. Alpha Lincoln is scarier.”

*

Alpha Lincoln looked stressed as leaning against his desk, “Why is this happening?” he asked, talking to himself. “He was a vicious animal, we were doing right.”

“Ramses doesn't see it that way.” I said. “Alpha Lincoln all this chaos is happening because you, my father, and all your friends decision. I want to know the whole story. You've been avoiding telling me.”

Alpha Lincoln turned to face me and snorted, “You're just a child, you wouldn't understand.”

“Allot has happened to me this past week—actually the past month and half. I had to grow up allot. Ramses tried to kill Killian and me. I deserve to know what happen. Come on, my father was apart of it.” I argued with him. “You daughter is with him and today he could have sent those rogue wolves out to come get me. What happened?”

He scoffed, sitting down on the top of his desk as he brought his hands together on his lap, “Their nothing but wild animals. There are two kinds of rogues. Smarter ones and the wild ones. The ones who never changed when we came out of hiding.”

“I know this, Alpha Lincoln.” I said.

“The Alpha of Montana was challenging his brother for the role of Alpha when their father died. Jaycob was the second born and the mature one. Charli was to busy with his own life to care about others. The only way for Jaycob to prove he's the strongest and should be Alpha is to prove he's the toughest and bravest. We heard there were some troublemakers in Arizona and we all went down there. We were friends back then, always close like children whose parents have higher positions in the packs are. We found the group and killed a few of them. Jaycob got the leader Ardith and brought his head back as proof. The pack choose Jaycob over Charli.”

“Well now the son is ready for revenge and with the way things are going it seems like it isn't being handled.” I said. He gave me a hard cold look and I raised my chin up not backing down from him.

I felt Killian come up behind me and put his hand on my arm, “Mat, you need to calm down.”

I glared at him, “My life is in danger because of you. You're just sitting here while you're daughter out there and you're pack is getting terrorized by rogues!” I yelled at him.

He smacked me across the face and I was ripped out of Killian grip as I fell to the ground. I hadn't been expecting it and my cheek stung. I heard Killian growled and Alpha Lincoln growled back at him, “Step back, Killian. This is my pack, Matilda. You want me to be more tougher, fine I will.” he said.

My hands balled into a fist and my teeth bared as my eyes turned yellow. I breathed heavily before I quickly stood up and got real close to him, “You think slapping me going to make me listen to you? No it only stopped me for a few seconds. I'm not gonna be a dog and be trained by you as if you were my master!” Killian grabbed my arms, trying to pull me away. “Let go!”

Alpha Lincoln lowered his head towards mine, “You're becoming more of a problem than I thought. Keep it up, Mat. Give me a reason to kick you out. Your brother may stay but you can leave. I'm losing my patients with you. You are not Alpha of this pack, I am.” he said and I narrowed my eyes on him as my mouth was firmly closed. “Let this be known though. You leave—Killian stays unless he leaves with you. He won't ever see you again and you will never be able come back here or Massachusetts. He will be watched his whole life because of you.”

I finally let Killian pull me back and his arms went around my protectively. I brought my hands up to his arms, holding onto them because I didn't want that to happen.

“And what about Emily?” I asked.

He sighed heavily, “Right, the little human girl. I'm letting her go home but someone will be watching her. I'll figure something out later. I don't have time for that right now.”

*

I hugged Emily tightly, “Just pretend like today never happen. Always helps me get through it all.”

“I can't believe this is all real, it's crazy.” she said, stepping back. She looked at Killian before looking back at me, “I can't believe you're actually a werewolf.”

I forced a small smile, “We like to be called just wolves. Werewolf to stereotyped.”

Emily gave me a serious look, “I'm sorry I've been rude to you. Now I understand what you mean by you're life changed allot.”

“It's alright. I wasn't really allowed to tell you.” I said. “Go inside before they come out here looking for you.”

“Wait.” she said, grabbing my arm. “You're gonna tell me about everything right? I'm so curious about your life now.”

I chuckled, nodding, “Yes.”

Once Emily was inside, Killian and I left. I sighed heavily, running my finger through my hair. Killian put his arm around me, bring me close to him. “I don't know how you deal with me.” I said, sighing heavily.

“I love you.” he said. “Even though you're a pain of the ass, you're my pain of the ass.”

“I don't know how you can listen to Alpha Lincoln like how you do.” I said, snorting.

“Been listening to an Alpha my whole life. I'm much more behaved than you.” he said, chuckling.

“Or tamed.” I said and he looked down at me confused. I stopped, facing him, “Killian when are you gonna stop taking orders from him? You're a strong wolf, you can handle yourself. He isn't doing anything but look for Melinda.”

“That's his daughter.” he said, scoffing. “How would you feel if you're child was taking from you.”

“I don't know, let me ask my parents.” I said, making him scoff. “Melinda wasn't taken, she left with that rogue wolf on her on will. I can understand Alpha Lincoln troubled by his daughter running away but he has a pack to protect also. I almost died today, Killian. He didn't seem very concern about it. How does that make you feel?”

“I'm pissed to, Mat. But he is Alpha.” he said and I rolled my eyes, groaning. “We follow by his rules and if he doesn't want any of us attacking them—”

“I'm not putting my head on the line because he won't do anything.” I said, growling.

“And what do you wanna do, huh?” he asked coldly.

“I want them out of here!” I said, breathing heavily. “I'm not gonna be off guard next time one of them comes.”

“Alpha Lincoln doesn't want any one of us to pick a fight with them. You run if one comes again—”

“I'm not running.” I said, scoffing. “That's what they want! I'm not asking you to fight one again but don't stop me. If you won't be there for me when it does, I know someone who would. Tell you're parents sorry I couldn't meet them today.”

“What are you talking about?” he coldly asked. “When all this rebellion gonna stop with you and Alpha Lincoln?”

“When he starts acting like an Alpha.” I said.

He grabbed my arms, holding me right there as he gave me a begging look, “Mat, please.” he begged, bring his hands up to my face. “Just listen to him. I don't want to lose you.”

I stared up at him for a moment, “You wouldn't—you wouldn't come with me if he did kick me out, would you?”

He sighed heavily, “Mat, I don't know how to survive out there—wait!” he said when I tried to leave but he grabbed my arm. “Look, the pack life is my life! It's all I've known! It's where my family is and my friends."

“But not me!” I coldly said. “Maybe I’m not important enough to you to leave with me if it does come to it.”

He scoffed, “What about me, huh? You won't even try—”

“Because I know I'm right. Alpha Lincoln is weak. He threw my father out of the pack. He won't do anything about the protection of his people. He's more worried about his image and reputation than doing what's right.” I said. “Take my side, not his.”

“Then what do you wanna do?” he asked.

“I want my family together.” I said and he looked down at me confused. “Nate is my second cousin, that's why he's been acting creepy because he's been watching over me. He wants to bring the family together—the Redblood family. My parents, Devin, and I could be together again. Nate could bring back the Redblood line back and make my family in charge. Texas belongs to us.” I took Killian hand in both of mine tightly, “Devin, we could go to Texas and live there.”

Killian surprised me by taking his hand out of mine roughly, “You want to go against Alpha Lincoln? With Nate?"

“No.” I said, breathing heavily since my anxiety was going up. “We'll just be leaving.”

“Do you know how crazy that sounds?” he asked coldly. “Redblood's are mostly hated by everyone. Do you know how everyone would react if they were in charge of Texas again? Especially if they take rogue back in."

“I refuse to live in this pack for the rest of my life.” I said coldly.

Killian looked turned begging again as he took my hands, “We'll go to Massachusetts. Live with my family. My father is the Beta, you have much more of an open voice.”

“I don't want that Massachusetts pack, I want my family pack.” I said, making him sigh heavily. I put my arms around his neck, bring him closer to me, “Tell me you'll come with me when the time come. I won't ask you to fight against anyone but if it does happen and my family in charge again—tell me you'll come live with us. Please, Killian. I love you.” I said, kissing him.

He put his hands on my waist and pulled me away from him. I gave him a surprised look as he looked down at the floor ashamed, shaking his head, “I'm sorry, Mat. I don't know the answer to your question right now.” he said, turning around and walked away.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.3M 56.4K 200
I'm a new grad human in huge debt, and cheated by my Omega boyfriend. When I got wasted in a bar, I didn't expect to have the best sex ever. And the...
2.6M 94.9K 41
"Everett" I called him when he paused in his tracks. I looked around and realized that we were right in the middle of a clearing. "Why did we stop he...
471K 14.4K 52
*Warning - Contains 18+ Content* He holds my face firmly between two hands. "Sienna, I'm not going to have you for the first time one of Maren's gues...
446K 15.2K 71
This story might be taken down soon.