Avenues of the Diamond (Unive...

By 4reuminct

UNIVERSITY SERIES #4. Samantha Vera from Ateneo De Manila University, the epitome of kindness, empathy, grace... More

PROLOGUE
01
02
03
05
06
07
08
09
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
EPILOGUE
Author's Note

04

2.5M 87.1K 166K
By 4reuminct

"Was that a lie?" 

I lay down on my bed, looking at the ceiling and wondering if he was being serious or if he was just trying to fool me. I mean, there was obviously nothing wrong with not drinking, but his face was so hard to read. Clyden was suspicious that way. 

"Why do I even care?" I asked before standing up to do my skincare. "A lie or not, let him live his life." 

I went outside my room to go to the bathroom but stopped when I saw Clyden in the hallway, rubbing Hail's belly. I smiled at the dog and waved my hand so it ran to me, wagging his cute little tail. Around five months pa lang siguro siya.

"Hello." I bent my knees to caress his head. It was a boy. I saw how Clyden stood up and looked at me with his hands inside his pockets. He had just showered, so I could smell his shampoo and soap from him. "Where did you buy the dog?" 

"I adopted him." His brows furrowed. "My friend's husky got pregnant, and Hail was the only one who survived. My friend had to go to another country, so he gave the baby to me," he explained. 

"Where's his mom?" I looked at the dog. 

"Died two months ago." 

Ang ayos niyang kausap kapag aso niya ang topic, huh. What a fur dad! He was like talking about his children. I could see the affection in his eyes. Maybe he was saying the truth about 'dogs over you.' I would probably say the same thing. 

"Poor baby." I pouted, still caressing Hail's head. I could tell that he was enjoying it. He was wagging his tail. 

"Yeah." He nodded before holding the knob of his room. "You can take care of him. I'll sleep now." 

"Really?" My eyes lit up. He told me that I could take care of the dog! Naramdaman ko tuloy na parang owner na rin ako. I would love to take care of his dogs too! 

He didn't answer. He just closed the door, so I stood up and went inside the bathroom, with Hail following me from behind. I did my skincare before carrying Hail to my room. I put him on the floor before sitting down on my bed, watching him. I was so afraid that he would pee on the floor or, worse, poop. 

"Are you potty-trained, baby?" I asked like the dog would answer me. "Well, he wouldn't let him inside the room if he's not, right?" 

I stood up from my bed when I heard the dog whimpering. I panicked a little, so I wanted to ask Clyden about it, but the moment I opened the door, Hail left my room and began scratching Clyden's door using his paw.

Clyden immediately opened the door and looked down. He was wearing glasses, so I assumed that he was studying. Bukas pa ang pasok niya. Ano'ng inaaral niya? 

"Come in." I actually thought he said that to me, but he was looking at the dog, so I felt relieved. 

"Where are the others?" I asked about Summer and Maple. 

"Downstairs. Hail is spoiled. He likes being with me inside my room," he said before closing the door. 

Just when I thought that Hail liked me, he went back to his owner's room immediately. I pouted and lay down on my bed to sleep. Makukuha ko rin ang puso ng mga aso niya! They would like me more than him! That was my impossible goal. 

My class will start at eight, so I woke up around four and went straight to the shower. I brushed my teeth and prepared my things. I was planning to drop by Starbucks on my way since I took a lot of time getting ready for school. 

I was only wearing a purple Adidas cropped top and black leggings partnered with white shoes. I also wore a white ribbon headband for my short hair. I went downstairs and walked straight to the kitchen to get my flask. Tote bag lang din ang dala ko for my things. 

I was actually surprised to see Clyden on the breakfast table with a biscuit in his mouth while he was pouring water into his container. I opened the fridge to get a pitcher before placing it on the breakfast table. 

"Good morning," I still greeted him. He wasn't rude to me yesterday! Maybe because he was busy. Sana palagi na lang siyang busy para hindi na niya 'ko iniinis. 

"Morning," he said in a low voice. 

I looked at him when he left the breakfast table to get his black backpack. That was the only time I noticed him wearing his uniform. Kinuha niya ang white polo niya sa sofa at sinuot 'yon. He was only wearing a maroon shirt underneath, partnered with white slacks. 

I was watching him while he was buttoning the polo. The buttons were placed on the left side from my view. He really looked like someone who worked in the hospital. He fixed his hair using his hands before looking around, trying to find something. 

I looked at the I.D. placed on the table. Kinuha ko 'yon at tiningnan ang picture niya. He looked normal. He looked like him. He wasn't even showing his teeth. He was just staring at the camera with a small smile plastered on his face. 

University of the Philippines Manila. The Health Sciences Center. There was a student I.D. under his name, too. 

Clyden Jaile H. Ramirez. 

COLLEGE OF MEDICINE

"Hey, obviously, this is yours." I extended my hand. 

He walked towards me and snatched the lace out of my hand without saying anything. Sinuot niya 'yon sa leeg niya bago kinuha ulit ang backpack niya. He started putting on his white shoes. 

"You look clean today," I teased, smirking. 

"Do I look dirty without my uniform?" He raised a brow, naghahamon sa 'kin habang nagsusuot ng sapatos. 

"No. You just look rude. With your uniform on, you look nice and innocent." I shrugged before actually pouring water into my flask. I was supposed to do that earlier. I got distracted a little. 

"I am neither." He rolled his eyes before standing up, holding his car keys. 

He glanced at his watch while walking towards the door. I closed my flask and put the pitcher back inside the fridge, so I didn't notice that he stopped at the door until I looked at him again to check if he already left without saying anything. 

"What? You want me to say 'take care' like a good fiancée?" I raised a brow. 

"No. I just forgot to say bye to my dogs." He went back and whistled to call his dogs. 

I laughed when three dogs came to him, wagging their tails. He kissed the top of their heads before walking to the door, waving his hand. I stared at him when he looked like he was in a dilemma. 

"Why are you staring at me? Are you also waiting for a kiss?" ranong ni Clyden, nakakunot ang noo. 

"What?!" I looked away and scoffed in disbelief. "Ew, no way! Just go! You're going to be late in class!" 

"Bye," he said before leaving, hiding his smirk. 

Like I said, I went to Starbucks to get my breakfast before actually going to class. Good thing I arrived early. I hated being late. I waved and talked to my blockmates before taking my seat. Tumayo rin kaagad ako nang malapag ang gamit ko para makipag-usap habang wala pa ang prof. 

"LK after class?" Rylee asked, grinning. "They said yes already. How about you, Sam? You can't miss this, dude. Nilasing mo 'ko yesterday! It's payback time!" 

"Oh, Lan Kwai?" I bit my lower lip and scratched my head a little, remembering Clyden's words. "I'm driving home, eh. I can't."

"Why are you driving home ba? Your condo's there lang, oh." Michel pointed outside the window. 

"Yeah, but I need to go home tonight. Actually, for the whole month. I'm in the middle of a... situation." I gave them an awkward smile, afraid that they would suspect anything. Hindi ko alam kung mayroon sa kanilang aware about my engagement.

"That's sad but okay! I understand naman! Gaganti ako sa 'yo next time! Remember that, ha!" Rylee pointed at her eyes before pointing at me. 

"Hindi mo malalasing si Sam. Stop dreaming, Ry!" Michael laughed. 

"May org party tayo to welcome our new members. Are you G with that one? You need to be there!" Angelica reminded me. 

"Yeah, I'm G. Maybe I'll just ask someone to drive for me na lang." I shrugged. 

We went back to our seats when we heard the bell for the second time. A sign that it was already time for class. Dumating na rin 'yong prof namin so tumahimik na kami. Ngayong sem pinakamaluwag ang schedule ko kaso may papers. 

We ate lunch at Macci Up. It was a study hall named Matteo Ricci, but they called it Macci for short. May two floors, so they called the second floor Macci Up and the first floor Macci Down. Some students had other terms. Matteo Up, Matteo Down. All the same. Usually, you would see SOM (School of Management) students there, but I just loved the grilled cheese being served upstairs. 

I smiled when I saw some familiar faces upstairs. It was a little hard to find a table since lunchtime na pero sakto nakita ko sila Adonis na nagliligpit na ng laptop. I went to them and put my hydro flask on the table to reserve it. 

"Wow, ang bilis mo, ah." Adonis laughed when he looked at me. 

"It's like a war out here." I shrugged before looking at Kalix and Leo to greet them. "What's up? Busy, ah!" 

"Yeah, a bit." Kalix stood up to fix his things. I couldn't look at him without thinking about Luna. They were exes. They just broke up a few months ago. 

"Hey Kalix," I called again when he was about to leave. He looked even more serious now, or maybe he was just back to being himself after what happened with my friend. "She's... doing okay so far. Don't worry." 

He stopped for a second before looking at me with no emotion. "Of course she is," he said and left. 

"Sungit, 'no, bro?!" Tumawa si Leo bago sinuot ang bag. "We're going now, Sam! See you around! Enjoy your sandwich!" 

Maaga akong nakaalis sa school since hindi naman ako sumama sa inuman nila but the traffic was so dreadful during afternoon! Maaga nga akong nakaalis pero ginabi pa rin ako pag-uwi ko. I still managed to smile when I saw Summer and Maple playing in the garden. 

"Hey, it's getting dark. Let's go inside." I talked to them like they would understand.

I opened the door and called them over. I was actually surprised that they really went inside. Sinara ko na ulit ang pinto at naglakad papasok only to see Clyden watching the news in the living room. He was still wearing his uniform, minus the white polo, so he was left in his maroon shirt. 

"It's your dad." Clyden scoffed, pointing at the television. "I won't even be surprised to discover that they're actually the ones protecting the rich drug lords here." 

"I'm tired. I do not want to engage in that conversation about my dad." I sighed heavily. 

"Of course," he said, shrugging. I didn't know if it was sarcastic or not. 

I bit my lower lip and looked at him, trying to calm myself. He was just staring at the television, not minding my glare. 

"I don't understand you, really. Sometimes you're nice, but most of the time, you're rude. What did I do to you, huh?" Kumunot ang noo ko. "Ako lang ata 'yong tinatrato mong ganito." 

"I hate your dad," he simply said, not looking at me. "Actually, your family. It's pathetic, to be honest." 

"And what about you?" I put my tongue on the insides of my cheek, getting mad now. "You are more pathetic than my family." 

"How so? I do not steal people's taxes." He looked at me with the same intensity. 

I stepped forward, holding on to my bag so tight. "Can't you see how pathetic you are? You are trying so hard to impress your father, maybe because you badly want recognition from your parents. It's the only thing you could do best, right? It's the only thing that can give you validation!" 

The annoyance on his face faded when he heard my words. It was replaced by different emotions, but I couldn't point them out. I wanted to stop talking, but I just had to let it all out after enduring everything. 

"Go on," seryosong sabi niya, hinihintay ang sasabihin ko. 

"You can't even say no to your father because you want to play the 'best son' role. No wonder why your brothers are so mad at you. It's because you are a jerk. You don't care about other people's feelings at all. Even your own brothers!" I continued. 

He stared at me for a moment before biting his lower lip and looking away like I just hit something inside him. I immediately felt guilty for yelling those words at him. He turned the television off and stood up, getting his things. 

I wanted to apologize. I was tired from today, but it was never an excuse to use his struggles against him. He did not even attack me personally. He attacked my family. 

"Hey, I'm-" 

"For the record, I fucking hate being the 'best son,'" he cut me off. "You know where that shit got me?" 

He looked at me like he was waiting for me to say something, but I remained silent. I sighed heavily, wanting so badly to apologize now. 

"Here. In this house. And it makes me sick," mariing sabi niya bago ako nilagpasan. 

I was left standing there, dumbfounded and guilty about what happened. I saw two helpers looking away and trying to go back to their work. I gave them an apologetic smile. I felt bad that they had to hear all of it. 

"Can you just bring my food upstairs? Thank you," pagod na sabi ko bago umakyat. 

I had a cold shower to calm myself. I couldn't stop thinking about the little argument we had back there. In fairness, hindi naman siya nag-apologize sa 'kin for being rude. It was the only thing stopping me from apologizing. 

"Maureen, what is wrong with you?" I asked myself in front of the mirror. "You hurt the person. You apologize. Since when ka naging ma-pride na tao?" 

It was so frustrating. I went outside the bathroom, only wearing my white robe while drying up my hair using another towel. I stopped walking when Clyden's door opened, and he walked outside. Our eyes met for a second before both of us looked away. 

He walked away, so I walked inside my room and closed it, breathing heavily. I pouted and just waited for my dinner, still bothered by what had happened. I tried to distract myself by doing some research and talking to some friends, but it was no help. 

I looked at the time. It was already midnight when I finished doing my skincare. I was wearing my pink pajamas when I went downstairs to get some milk, hoping that it would help me sleep. I stopped in the living room when I saw Clyden at the breakfast table, reading a book. 

When he glanced at me, I turned around and went upstairs again. I probably looked so dumb, but I couldn't care less! It was so awkward! The air around us was too heavy. I couldn't take it. I couldn't be in the same room with him! 

Natulog na lang tuloy ako. Good thing I didn't have class the next day, so I had a good sleep. Wala na si Clyden pagkagising ko. Pumunta na siyang school. That was our set-up until Friday. Hindi kami masyadong nagkikita, actually. I would eat my food inside the room, and he would go home late, probably from studying in a coffee shop. 

On Friday night, I just started preparing to meet my org mates. Maga-aasikaso pa kami para sa party. Freshies below eighteen were not allowed to come. Poor them. They could join next year, I guess. 

The venue was at my orgmate's village. May event center sila roon, and we were allowed to stay until midnight. I drove there and started helping with the set-up. They put the drinks and food on two different long tables. May lights na rin and may DJ. It was around eight in the evening when people started arriving. 

"Hey, why are you here?" My eyes narrowed when I looked at Adonis. 

"Got dragged by a friend, so I dragged other friends, too!" He laughed when he pulled Leo and Kalix with him. "May bayad pala kapag outsiders. Na-scam ako ng org n'yo, ah." 

"Well, for the funds." I laughed before giving them red cups. "You can get drinks there." 

I was at the door to welcome our members and also to check their names on the list. I was like a bouncer. We closed the doors around ten, so I started joining the party. I was playing beer pong with my friends. Sanay na 'ko so palagi silang natatalo. 

"Adi, drive for me if you're sober," I told him. 

"Kalix." Siniko niya si Kalix. "Ikaw na bahala sa 'kin, ah." 

Kalix rolled his eyes before drinking coke. I started dancing with Angelica and Rylee on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila in my hand. I started making people chug, including myself. We had finished four bottles already, so I felt a little dizzy. 

"Shoot!" I looked at my phone when I saw my mom calling. "I'll take this!" 

Lumabas kaagad ako ng venue para sagutin ang tawag. I put my hand on the wall to support my weight. Nahihilo na ako. I was afraid my mom would hear the loud music from inside, but I was more afraid that she would hear my drunk voice. 

"Mom," I greeted using my normal voice. At least, I tried. 

[Where the hell are you, Maureen? I went to your house to bring food, but you were not around.] She sounded mad. 

"Oh, I have org stuff, Mom! I'm going now!" I panicked. 

[Go home immediately. I asked Clyden where you went, but he also didn't know. You should have informed him at least.] 

"Yes, Mom!" She ended the call. I sighed heavily before going inside to look for my friends. "Hey guys, I need to go na." 

"Why? Not yet!" Rylee pouted. "Why so early?!" 

"It's almost one, Ry." I laughed. "I'm going now! Bye, girls!" 

I gave them kisses on the cheeks before walking around to find Adonis. I saw him playing beer pong with Leo, so I went to him and tugged on his shirt. When he looked at me, his cheeks were a bit red. 

"Damn, you're drunk?!" My brows furrowed. 

"Kaya kitang ihatid! Tara! Tara na!" He was obviously drunk when he got my car keys out of my hand. "Uwi na 'ko! Ang ingay na rito!" 

"Dumbass." Kinuha ni Kalix ang susi ng kotse ko. "Let's go. I'll drive." 

"Thank you, Kalix!" I laughed before following him. "Leo, we'll be back! I mean, they will! They will be back! Hey, Kalix, leave my car sa condo ko na lang muna when you go back, ha!" 

Humiga si Adi sa may backseat habang ako ang nasa shotgun. Kalix looked a little annoyed while driving. I closed my eyes a little, getting dizzy again because of the movement of the car. 

"To your condo, right?" Kalix asked. 

"Hey, no!" I woke up. "Here. Here's the address." I showed him my Waze app. "Follow mo na lang." 

I closed my eyes again when he didn't say anything. There was no traffic, so the ride was smooth. When the car stopped, I opened my eyes and looked out the window. Oh, I was already in front of the house. I took my seatbelt off and opened the door, only to stumble on the gutter. 

"Hoy, lasing!" Adi held my arm and helped me get up. Kalix got off the car to help too. I stood up, trying to regain my sanity. "Saan ba? Bahay mo 'to?" 

"Yeah, there! You can go now! I can walk!" I said, pulling away their hands, but I almost stumbled again. 

"Hay nako!" reklamo ni Adonis at tinulungan ulit akong maglakad. Hawak ni Kalix ang kabilang braso ko and he was the one who rang the doorbell for me. 

"You guys can go na! I can-" I stopped talking when the door opened, and it revealed Clyden wearing a white shirt and grey sweatpants with specs on. He looked serious and irritated a bit. "Oh, hi!" 

"Nasa tamang bahay ba tayo?" Adonis asked Kalix. 

"Cy," Kalix greeted, surprised. Oh, wait! They knew each other, huh?! Family of doctors si Kalix! Right! Maybe they already met! 

"Ano 'to? Ano 'yan?" Clyden pointed at me like I was an unexpected package from an online shop. 

"Sabi sa 'yo we got the wrong address, bro!" Adonis tried to pull me away, but Clyden held my arm. "Ay!" 

"Who are you?" Clyden asked Adi, his eyes narrowing. 

"Oh, he's my friend! Ex-crush, actually!" I giggled. 

"Friend! Friend lang!" Adonis tried to defend himself. "We're just friends, bro!" 

"You can go now. Thanks." Clyden helped me walk inside, holding my arms. I pouted and sat on the couch while he was still talking to the guys. Hindi ko marinig ano'ng pinag-uusapan nila. Wait, what if he was telling them about our engagement?!

When he closed the door, I jumped a little in my seat. Umayos ako ng upo at lumingon sa kanya. I couldn't read his expression. Galit ba siya? Walang pakialam? I didn't know! It was so hard to read him! 

"You should have just texted me to pick you up," he said in a monotone.

"What?" Nagsalubong ang kilay ko. "Are you serious? We're in a fight! You are mad at me!" 

"Am I?" He raised a brow, pushing his tongue a little against his cheek. 

"What? You weren't?" naghahamong tanong ko. 

"I am now." He shook his head and went to the kitchen to get a glass of water. 

I thought he was going to drink it but he sat beside me and offered me the glass. Kinuha ko 'yon sa kamay niya at ininom, tinatantya pa ang mood niya. I could never expect anything from this guy so palagi akong nagugulat kapag may ginagawa siya. 

"My mom went here?" I asked. 

"Yeah. She brought groceries, and she also tried to spy on us, but you were not around, so she said she'd just come back tomorrow," mabilis na sabi niya babang pinapanood akong uminom sa baso. 

"Oh hell," I whispered, massaging my head. "Why are you mad again?" 

"I am?" he asked again, raising his brows. 

"You just said that you are." My brows furrowed, getting confused. Was I hearing things? Did he not say that? Was I that drunk? "Didn't you?" 

"I did." He nodded. 

"You know? You are so confusing. So gulo mo kausap." I leaned on the couch and crossed my arms over my chest, looking annoyed now. "You didn't get mad when I said all those things about you?" 

"I did," maikling sagot niya ulit. 

"I thought you didn't?!" reklamo ko. 

"It faded. I have no time to feel mad. To even feel anything, actually. You can insult me all you want. I do not care." He got the glass out of my hand and went back to the kitchen to get me another. 

"I am sorry that you are the 'best son,'" I apologized sincerely. 

"At least you were right on the part that my brothers hate me." He sat beside me again, handing me another glass of water. 

"You mentioned earlier that you're now mad. Why? Why are you mad?" I didn't know if I was even making sense. I was drunk and confused. 

"It's already two AM." He pointed at the clock. 

"And so?" I scoffed. "Were you worried?" 

He stared at me for a moment, pursing his lips. I blinked twice, staring back at him and waiting for his answer. 

"Maybe," he whispered, getting the glass out of my hand. "Maybe I was." 

_______________________________________________________________________________

:)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.4M 59.4K 56
(Game Series # 10) Tali coursed through life with ease. Coming from a family full of lawyers, she knew that getting a job would not be a problem. Kai...
11.1K 229 22
This story is inspired by Kisses Delavin and Donny Pangilinan.
3M 77.4K 18
OLD SUMMER TRILOGY #2 Being the niece of the volleyball team's coach, Alia is hired to design the uniforms of the players. Seven, who has had a crush...
77.1M 2.9M 53
UNIVERSITY SERIES #5. Ever since they were kids, Avianna Diaz from UST Architecture and Larkin Sanchez from UP Film were inseparable, not until Lark...