Saudade (Published under Indi...

By sielalstreim

I'm scared of the sea. I can't help but think of the danger it brings. The width and depth seem forever. But... More

PART I - Chapter 1: Sea Port City
Chapter 2: The Prisoners
Chapter 3: The Knight and the Ruler
Chapter 4: The Show
Chapter 5: The Menace
Chapter 6: Taken
Chapter 7: Fall and Fly
Chapter 8: Obsidian
Chapter 9: The Jonah of Obsidian
Chapter 10: Separate Worlds
Chapter 11: Wrecked Heart
Chapter 12: Misty Rain
Chapter 13: Borgian Island
Chapter 14: Sunset
Chapter 15: Dinner with the Pirates
Chapter 16: The Crow's Nest
Chapter 17: The Thief and the Murderer
Chapter 18: Midnight Dream
Chapter 19: The Forsaken Land
Chapter 20: Sad Song
Chapter 21: The Skull
Chapter 22: The Stormy Sea
Chapter 23: The Adventures of the Brave Heart
Chapter 24: The Pirate City
Chapter 25: The Mermaid
Chapter 26: The Monsters of the Pirate City
Chapter 27: The Invitation of Captain Rowaen
Chapter 28: The Captain of the Pirate City
Chapter 29: Far from the Land of Fairy Tale
Chapter 30: Under the Moon
Chapter 31: The Poison in the Pirate's Wine
Chapter 32: The Anchor and the Signal Fire
Chapter 33: Sea Ghost
Chapter 34: The Judgment of Poseidon
Chapter 35: The Darkest Morning
Chapter 36: The Tears of the Sea
Chapter 37: The Fall of the Pirate City
PART II - Chapter 38: After Dreaming
Chapter 39: A New Perspective
Chapter 40: The Ghosts in the Woods
Chapter 41: The Agreement in the North Castle
Chapter 42: Strange Possibilities
Chapter 43: The Ruined Castle
Chapter 44: The Visitors of the East Castle
Chapter 45: The Eastern Woods
Chapter 46: Blood in the Mainland
Chapter 47: A Deeper Grave
Chapter 48: An Act of Resistance
Chapter 49: The Lake of Dreams
Chapter 50: The Cost of a Name
Chapter 51: The Lady's Acceptance
Chapter 52: The Wedding Thief
Chapter 53: Limbo of the Lost
Chapter 54: The Secrets of the Borgian Castle
Chapter 55: Poison and Blood
Chapter 56: The Black Butterfly
Chapter 57: The First Rule
Chapter 58: Cats in the Castle
Chapter 59: Before the War
Chapter 60: Little Wildflower
Chapter 61: Death in the Woods
Chapter 62: Lovers in the Borgian Castle
Chapter 63: Bad Blood Brothers
Chapter 64: Peril in the East Castle
Chapter 65: The Cage and the Lost Key
Chapter 66: Trampled Flowers in the Dead Field
Chapter 67: Blood and Madness
Chapter 68: The Battle at the Safety Rock
Chapter 70: Na Guerra Ninguém Ganha
Epilogue
Saudade Playlist

Chapter 69: The Brothers, the Forest Fairy, and the Castle Garden

19.5K 1.3K 700
By sielalstreim

Chapter 69: The Brothers, the Forest Fairy, and the Castle Garden

It was happening again. How many arrows do I have to take in this lifetime? How many wounds do I have to endure? How much blood do I have to shed? Would there be more after this? Would it be the last?

Lord Magnus was already pulling at the arrow stretching all the seconds left in my short lifetime. He was doing it like he was only in one of his hunting days; he was aiming at me as if I was just an easy prey. And maybe, an easy prey was what I am at the moment for I was just standing there unable to move, frozen by numbness and fear that crippled me. Maybe a deer would have acted better than I had in such situation. A deer would run as fast as it can upon sensing the danger and escape its hunter's claws. It wouldn't stay there like a ball of meat waiting to be served on the table. But that deer must be a healthy one. For what could a deer do if blood was gushing from its wound diminishing its strength and making it unable to move? I couldn't even feel my own legs at that time. Maybe I panicked because of fear or I was mentally confused because of blood loss. But what would it matter now when I would be dropping dead in a matter of seconds?

I glanced at Threy and held my breath as I watched him leave his opponents and run towards me. It didn't matter that he had the upper hand or that he could take all of them alone. He didn't care that one of his enemies threw a dagger at him and pierced his back. He winced in pain but it didn't stop him. He reached at his back and pulled it out without even a scream. He was leaping through the dead bodies on the ground and slashing down anyone that got on his way. He didn't think that his enemies could see this as an opening and attack him from behind. Or maybe he did, he just didn't care about anything at that time. It was like dropping the world he was holding in his hand and turn his back so he could protect me. I didn't know that he could run that fast. I didn't realize that for him, I would mean that much.

But his speed was nothing compared to Lord Magnus' arrow that was coated in rage and fury. His loud call for my name was muted by my own weakness. I couldn't hear him. I couldn't understand anything. Until the last second came where things happened in slow motion: the arrow cutting smoothly through the wind, Threy's long strides that he was almost flying in the air, and Lord Chester bringing himself up on the ground and lunge at me.

It all happened in less than ten seconds; funny how time slows down when you're about to die. Death was teasing the way I understand things and it all ended when I fell on my back on the ground with a thud. I felt Lord Chester's heavy body on top of me. I gasped for air as if I had forgotten how to breathe the whole time I was standing. The rush of wind in my lungs came as a relief but I paled as I realized that it was different in Lord Chester's case. He was wounded, yes. But I didn't remember him being in a worse condition like this. I frowned in confusion as he coughed and spat blood. I grasped his back and when I felt the length of an arrow impaling his armorless body, reality started to get to me. That was when I finally understand what happened; and how I hated to understand things at that moment.

"No! No! Why did you do that?"

I exclaimed in horror as I saw blood in my hands. I tried to push myself away from his weight and let his head lean on my lap as I check the damage. The arrow went deep through the left side of his back; it was a clean shot – evidence that the shooter was an experienced one.

"It's alright, Primrose. This one's coated in poison," he whispered, stopping me from reaching the bag that was lying a few feet away from us. "My father's arrow never misses its target. That's what makes him incomparable in hunting. Even I, his son, still need to go a long way to rival his skills."

I gritted my teeth as I watched him cough again. Dread weighted heavily in my chest as I realized that I couldn't save him this time.

"He got me good, didn't he? It's too late now to challenge him in another hunting game."

I felt tears wet my cheeks as he began to struggle breathing. He was dying; we both knew that. And somehow, he seemed to have already accepted it.

It wasn't long until Threy reached us and knelt on my side; he was breathless as he cage my dampened face in his hand.

"Are you alright? God, you're bleeding!" he asked, worried.

"Lord Chester," I whispered.

His eyes finally glanced down at the man that was lying on my lap as if his whole attention had been focused on me all this time. His worry turned into fear when he saw the arrow that impaled Lord Chester. He quickly snapped it in half and brought the man to lie on his back on the ground. That was when we saw clearly how bad his condition was. Lord Chester smiled when he saw my face. He reached out and touched my tear-stricken cheek with his blood-stained hand.

"Even in death, you still look beautiful," he murmured. His breathing was so deep I knew he was suffering every time he does it. He must be in pain at the moment knowing that it's his father's arrow that's going to end his life.

"I know you can't forgive me, Primrose. But please know that I really regret being a monster in your eyes."

He coughed again; he was breathing with difficulty. His chest started bruising with veins showing on his skin. I knew that he wanted to scream in pain but he had no strength at all to do it. Whatever poison the arrow had, it was merely created to make its target suffer. Maybe it was created for a certain occasion and a specific person. I blanched as I realized that it could have gotten Threy; it almost got to me.

"Threy! Oh! Fuck you, brother! It fucking hurts!" he cried silently.

Threy's grip on his sword tightened. No, there was no hatred in his eyes this time. The only thing I could see there was sadness. They must have come from a different a different bloodline and didn't share the same beliefs but they grew up together and enjoyed adventures as brothers. They had an undeniably memorable childhood. And that was why I believe that there are still precious things this war could never ruin.

"Just let go and fucking die, brother!" Threy said through gritted teeth. His eyes were red and I knew that every word pained him. He hated to see Lord Chester die that way. No. No one should die that way.

But Lord Chester was not destined for an easy death; the poison would not allow that. It only made him writhe in pain while gasping for air. Threy could have ended his suffering. For all those times that they almost killed each other, it would have been easier. But as Threy's knuckle whitened clenching his sword, I knew that he wouldn't do it. Doing it would break him.

Apparently, I wasn't strong enough to do it as well. I wasn't built for swords and arrows; I was born to value life. And that was why I had no choice but to come up with a decision. Maybe, forgiving him would make it less painful. Forgiveness could benefit the both of us: I'd let go of all the pain and hatred inside me and he'd leave peacefully from this world. However, forgiveness was not something I was willing to give at that time. I had suffered from Lord Chester's cruelty since I was young; I had witnessed his evil ways towards people. I couldn't forgive him yet and his death would not force me to do it. Otherwise, I would just give him lies. However, despite of all the bad blood between us, there was something I'd like to do for him as his childhood friend. I caressed his face and made him look at me.

"Do you remember the party at the West Castle on your twelfth birthday?" I asked.

Lord Chester's eyes focused on me. "Yes. The whole town was having a feast. That day was filled with laughter; greeting me like they're genuinely happy I was born."

"Indeed. They were celebrating your day. And how about you? Did you enjoy it?"

His expression softened as he stared at the dark, gloomy sky. He was looking at it as if he was seeing his own golden sun. There was a ghost of smile in his lips as he answered, "I was in the garden with my brother. I didn't care about the party. All I knew was that playing with Threy was more enjoyable than dealing with those strangers."

Threy stiffened beside me. It surprised him to know that he was in one of Lord Chester's treasured memories. Maybe, the young lord was brokenhearted when he left and it turned into anger as the time went by.

"Then the East arrived. The crimson girl tried to play with us. She was beautiful with her hair as red as a glowing fire and sea green eyes like the ocean. She's like a forest fairy," he added softly.

I swallowed and failed to stop my voice from trembling when I asked again, "Did you like it that she was there?"

His smile widened. "Damn, right. That's why I keep that garden until now..."

There were already long pauses in his breathing but his calm face didn't show that he was struggling. He just stared at the sky above us reminiscing that day. Tears spilled from my eyes. No more questions was asked as he drew his last breath and whispered, "The garden with them is where I'll stay."

And then his eyes went blank and we watched sadly as the lights faded in them. Threy closed Lord Chester's eyes gently and wrapped his arms around me as I continued crying.

"Thank you for showing him that beautiful place."

My heart was glad that somehow, I was able to make it less painful for him. What I wasn't able to tell him was that I, too, could still remember that time. It was the first time I saw the Weston brothers and despite of all their teasing, I enjoyed playing with them. I was about to tell those things to Threy but then, we heard Lord Magnus' scream. He was running towards us and maybe it was his age that got into him that he wasn't able to catch his son alive.

Threy immediately stood and positioned in defence. However, the ruler didn't even threw him a glance and instead, he pushed me away violently from Lord Chester's body. He grabbed his son as Threy helped me up on my feet.

"Chester! Wake up!" He ordered sternly as if he was just giving a command to one of his soldiers.

But Lord Chester, being a hard-headed one – even in death, didn't oblige to listen.

"Wake up, son!"

Lord Magnus continued shouting but his son remained still on the ground – not moving nor breathing. When Lord Magnus finally realized that his son would not answer to him anymore and that his calls won't be heard in the afterlife, he glanced at us reproachfully.

"This is your fault! You killed my son!"

The madness in his eyes as he accused eyes brought chill in my body. He couldn't accept that it was his arrow that ended his son's life and for him to justify that, he would neglect reasons.

"I should have killed you when you were young! I shouldn't have brought you into our family! Fucking ambitious, ungrateful bastard of a Borgian!" he screamed at Threy.

There was hurt in Threy's eyes as he swallowed Lord Magnus' words. "I used to call you father," he muttered in disappointment. "But now, I realized that you've never really treated me as your son."

Threy started to raise his sword. He probably had all the reasons to kill the man but I stopped him. I shook my head at him with sorrow in my eyes.

"Having a father grieving for our death is something we can't have anymore. Let's not take it away from your brother."

He was infuriated and his hands were itching to end the man's life. But he understood my reasons and with a sigh, he lowered his sword.

"You can see it that way. But as for me, I'm going to perceive it as his punishment. After all, his son's blood is in his hands."

Lord Magnus heard our conversation clearly. His hold on his dead son's shoulders tightened and then he let him go. He stood to face us and I gulped noticing that something in him has changed. The grief that supposed to be in his eyes wasn't there and all we found were hatred and madness.

"Do you think you won already just because you took my son from me?"

He raised his word and pointed it to the sky. I couldn't understand the fear I was feeling towards his strange behaviour. He glanced at Threy and said, "From now on, you must watch closely. Do not tear your eyes away as I destroy your rising kingdom and bring down your little sun from her sky!"

And then he slashed his sword forward and continued doing it for several times. I remembered when Lord Chester made a vague signal in the Lake of Dreams. This must be their way of sending a message or command.

His sword continued striking forward with its tip pointing the Borgian Castle. Around us, the enemies who understood the command started to move forward; their target was suddenly placed ahead of them. I held on Threy's arm as I heard a loud rallying sound from the distance. I squinted to see the dark figures forming in that direction. My mouth gaped open when I finally saw the huge group of soldiers marching towards the Borgian Castle; catapults were also rolling with them.

Lord Magnus went back to Lord Chester's side and continued cradling his son as if he didn't just release an evil command. Whatever he did, he was certain that it would make them win.

"Threy! The castle!"

Threy didn't waste time and took my hand as we run to the direction of the castle. On our way, he was screaming "Fall back!" and "Defend the castle!" to the Borgian warriors we passed and in which they understood immediately when they saw a huge wave of enemies marching at the distance.

Lord Magnus' message was now clear. They were going to attack the Borgian Castle that served as our fortress. And thus, we were all running back from the field to defend it. However, running was probably one of the most difficult things for me to do at that time. I couldn't feel my wounds anymore; no pain came from the cuts and bruises. I just felt incredibly weak and it showed when I suddenly fell on my knees.

"Threy, I can't –"

But I didn't finish what I was about to say as Threy pulled me up and put my arm over his shoulder. We continued running as he carried most of my weight. That was when I noticed the injuries he had from the battle. He had few scratches on his arms and the wound on his back was also bleeding. He looked filthy and weary. Too many things had happened and I realized that I wasn't able to fully check on him. How long had he been fighting? Did he sleep before this war? Did he drink water? Did he eat some food? Did he even have a chance to take care of himself? He was almost on his limit and yet, he was giving everything he had in this war. He wanted to win this because he knew that there are people who believe in him; there are those poor families in the Forsaken Land who wanted to come back home.

I felt shame for almost asking him to just leave me on the trail. How could I give up when this man was giving me his strength? I just had to run back to the castle. I shouldn't let these wounds stop me from doing what I had to do.

Gritting my teeth, I pushed myself to match Threy's pace. I shouldn't slow him. I promised myself that I wouldn't be his weakness and so, I dropped the bag hoping that someone who needs it would find it, and called to our allies to defend the castle. My voice reached a few warriors who are now sprinting back to the castle after defeating the enemies who appeared on their way. The mission became quicker with my help and it made us reached the castle gate fast. Threy ordered the warriors to go to their positions. They must defend the castle from an incoming attack.

I saw Cecilia rushed towards us and Threy gave me to her gently.

"She's bleeding, Cecilia. Please, take care of her."

It wasn't a Borgian king's command; it was a man's imploring. And Cecilia understood it completely as she took me in her arms and carried me to the castle's infirmary. Apparently, the wound wasn't that shallow and it needed stitches. Cecilia gave me water and started tending to it.

At some point, I closed my eyes and blacked out. I didn't know how many minutes had passed but I jolted awake when I felt a searing pain in my abdomen. I opened my eyes and saw that Cecilia had bandaged my wound again. Pain was a good indication that I was still alive.

I thanked her but the relief I felt vanished when i heard the shouting commands outside. I looked around us and saw the injured warriors lying on their beds. There were also citizens who volunteered to help in the infirmary because we needed more hands. Threy must still be in the castle gate giving orders; he probably didn't rest even for just a second.

"Where are the children, Cecilia?" I asked, worried.

"They're in one of the castle rooms with other children. I figured they would be safer in there."

There will be no safe place once the enemies reached us and Cecilia knew it that's why she was looking at me anxiously and with grief in her eyes. I got up and left the bed. Maybe that short time of losing consciousness helped me gain back a little of my strength. I walked out of the infirmary and headed to the castle gate. I was welcomed with chaos as people run in panic. The gates were closed and barricaded. Lord Boris was leading the soldiers that were guarding it. Owain and Alon were situated by the entrance of the castle. Their group must be the last stand. There were archers positioned at the top of the wall. I climbed the ladder and saw Aiden giving command to the archers. He, too, was wounded and tired, and yet he didn't seem to mind it at all.

I looked down on the warriors down the wall and saw Threy in front of the gate with Captain Rowaen, Captain Drakon, and Captain Augusta by his side. They were guarding it with the other captains, pirates, and warriors who are still capable to fight. At the distance, a huge group of enemies in three different armors were matching towards the castle with catapults rolling with them. It was the deadly wave called by the mad ruler of the West Land and it was being led by General Amir Kaveera of the South Land. We were being outnumbered and if there's a warrior who still believed that we will win, then he must be a lunatic. We might be a huge bunch of lunatics.

It was getting darker. The sun must have picked a side in the battle during the day but as the night approached, who knew which side the moon would favor. Is it the sunrise we're going to see or the darkness we're going to fall?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

381K 13.2K 35
When Finn wakes up on a pirate ship with no memory, the last thing he expects is to get involved with the dangerous and alluring Captain North. ...
8.1K 265 20
I have always loved the water. My family has always been near water. My uncle was a an oceanographer which had me interested in what he does. It...
445K 21.8K 104
It was supposed to be an easy job. Get the phone and run like hell. Make a few hundred bucks for food, a nice hot shower, and a warm bed to sleep in...
24K 1.4K 127
Two lonely souls meet. One has a taste for adventure, the other a craving to be in the water. Will love form in our out of mask for each?