First name terms

By peachrte

Gilbert and Anne had known each other for years, but the redhead had never been able to forgive him for calli... More

1- Surname terms
2- Passive-agressive
3- F-R-I-E-N-D-S
4- Darkness
5- Sincerely, Blythe
6- The field of colorful freedom
7- Encounters and future reunions
8- Family from different families
9-Talk to me
10- Denial
11- Bittersweet
12- Annie
14- Spinning
15- Quiet
16- Late sleepers
17- Melody of love
18- Quandary
19- Blindfold
20-Fists and fights
21- Go
22- Part 1: Hurt me twice
22- Part 2: Carrots and Slate-face
23- "She"
24- My Girl
25- Until we meet again
26- BA 5967
27- Stalker team
28- New member
29- Support
30- On the road
31- Unexpected declarations
32- No response
33- In a heartbeat
34- Open eyes
35- Your perfect
36- Like a song
37- RAIN
38- Endings
39- Operation Geronimo
40- First name terms
41- Caught
42- Recovery
43- Date ride
44- Anesthesia
Quick A/N and recap
45- Stories without ending

13- Camouflage

673 24 194
By peachrte

A/N: Hey guys! Another 5 AM update (argentinian time) with 6k words. They are getting longer each time, I think haha. First thing, thank you for your comments on the last chapter! You really made my day <3 I'm also forever thankful for more than 800 views! That's crazy! Last thing, do not play the song yet, I'll tell you when to play it. It is a bit too long, so you'll probably have some extra minutes with the song on. I loved it and I think it isn't that necessary, but if you wish, you can play it from the minute 1:40 approximately, or just pause it (you'll know when to do it). Sorry for that! Now, Chapter 12- Camouflage... 

She woke up an hour later, her heart racing. She sat up and looked around, startled by her dream. She breathed out with relief when he saw a peaceful Gilbert next to him. He was facing the ceiling, his arms and legs stretched, which was clearly due to the hot temperature in the house. She laid back down and looked at him, admiring his features, though she would never admit it. His messy curls fell on his face and his pink lips were slightly open, making him look even cuter. His freckles were illuminated by the moon's dim light that came through the window, and his shaved jawline was relaxed, yet it didn't lose its usual strong look.

'Shit, Anne, stop looking' she said to herself before checking her phone. 5 AM. She scrolled through her Instagram, trying to kill time until the sunrise. However, there were no new posts, so she just checked out the old ones.

----------------------------

di.barry- 8 hrs ago

❤️756 likes

💬154 comments

di.barry he's mine 💘 @jer.baynarddd

ruby.gills: Aw so happy for you! You're so cute

itsmoodys: @ruby.gills , not as cute as u r ❤️

ruby.gills:  @itsmoodys  I just... you are the best and the cutest and the dorkiest 💖

josierosie: i wanted a pic of your make-out session in your room

jer.baynarddd: you are perfect ❤️ i'm so yours.

                                 @josierosie 😏

di.barry: @josierosie 😳🙊

tillieb: this couple omg 😍

charleslo: you guys 😍

cole.mkenzie: as u can all see, i was the protagonist of the night... i don't mind though, you are too cute

anne.shrls.cth: it was about time 😍

cole.mkenzie: i can't believe u r saying that

di.barry: Really? @anne.shrls.cth

anne.shirls.cth: @cole.mkenzie @di.barry  ??

                            u make me feel single @di.barry @jer.baynarddd @ruby.gills @itsmoodys

jer.baynarddd: @gil.blythe

tillieb: @gil.blythe

di.barry: @gil.blythe

josierosie: @gil.blythe

janie.andws: @gil.blythe

ruby.gills: @gil.blythe

charleslo: @gil.blythe

itsmoodys: @gil.blythe

cole.mkenzie: @gil.blythe your time has come

anne.shirls.cth: srsly guys? 

tillieb- 8 hrs ago

tillieb clearly i provide the best snacks @janie.andws 😘

di.barry: how can you look so beautiful while eating

ruby.gills: the first one to get her job done 👏🏻

janie.andws: ok i'm in love with that pic. 🥰 ily

jer.baynarddd: agreed, those nachos were simply amazing

anne.shrls.cth: I have the most beautiful friends 😍

charlieslo: @janie.andws 😍

josierosie: @charlieslo 👀☕️

josierosie: such cuties ily 🖤

cole.mkenzie: you bought cheetos bc they are my favorite, I mean, there's no doubt u r the best

anne.shrls.cth- just now

anne.shrls.cth finally back @cole.mkenzie ❣️ (btw, we have to start taking pics, I can't keep on posting old ones)

------------------------

Gilbert shifted on the bed breathing in sharply. He stretched and groan and then sat up, rubbing his face with his hands, in pain.

-Shirley? What are you doing up?- he said with a hoarse voice.

-Nothing.

-Mhh go back to sleep.

   He took her phone from her hands and left it on the nightstand that was on his side of the bed. She was about to complain, but he came closer to her and wrapped his arms around her from her back, so she stayed quiet. She felt his warmth, his soft skin against her arm, his scent in the air, his breathing, even his heart, which neither of them knew beat for her. Their two curled up bodies linked perfectly, like two pieces of a puzzle. Together, right at that moment, they felt happy, complete: When both pieces were together, they completed the puzzle. They both smiled slightly and then fell asleep to one of their new favorite sounds; their heartbeats.

-----------------——-

-OH MY GOD- Jerry shouted aghast with a slam on the door.

      Both teenagers jumped out of bed. Gilbert cried in pain, his headache increasing not only because his friend had just screamed and slammed the door, but because he fell directly onto the floor.

-Oh my God, are you okay?- Anne said, holding back her laughter.

-I've been better- he said with a groan.

-I SWEAR THEY WERE BOTH IN BED!- they heard Jerry saying from the hallway and they lifted their heads, looking at the door.

-Shit we're doomed- she muttered, and they both let their head fall back down.

   Now Bash opened the door, to find only Anne in bed. He was ready to start mocking, but his expression changed quickly into a frown when he noticed it.

-French boy, she is alone and pretty much dressed.

-He was just here! I mean, they looked like they had just had sex- he said wearing a confused frown.

-WHAT?!- Anne sat up and Gilbert appeared from behind the bed. They had their eyes wide open.

-See? I told you he was here.

-Mhh- Bash said with a smirk, laying his weight on the doorframe.

-What's going on here?- Mary stuck her head inside the bedroom- Woah! I better ask what happened here.

-Oh my god- Gilbert muttered under his breath.

-Jerry here found them sleeping together- Bash informed.

-Sleeping as in sleeping?

-This is insane!- Anne said loudly.

-Shh, can everyone lower their voices?- Gilbert said, rubbing his eyes.

-Hangover, see? They totally had sex- the boy repeated.

-Ooo that doesn't help your case.

-We certainly did not! We were wearing clothes!- the girl exclaimed desperately trying to clean up that mess.

-Maybe you put your clothes on after I left...

-That is physically impossible- Gilbert added- you were literally out for half a second.

-I don't know, but if you are gonna do it, please remember there are four other people living in this house- Mary said before leaving.

-Why are we even having this conversation?!- she said with a high pitched voice due to the anger.

-Because Baynard doesn't knock- the curly-haired boy threw a stare at him as he sat down next to Anne.

-So, do tell... but spare me the details- Bash said, still wearing a smirk.

-Nothing happened!- they both shouted.

-You're both denying it, they totally did it...-Jerry repeated for the hundredth time.

-And you're totally not getting away with this!- she got as red as her hair and was about to run to him, but Gilbert quickly put her hand in front of her to stop what was about to happen.

-Heey, Shirley, let the guy live.

-Baguette boy, you better run now that he saved you- Bash patted his back and they both left the room, leaving the two teenagers alone once again.

-What is wrong with him?!- she shouted as she paced in the room.

-Shh, Shirley, it's not that bad- he said already laying on the bed with a pillow over his head.

-Not that bad?! He accused us of having had sex!

-Shh, not so loud, please.

-He storms inside MY room and then talks without even knowing what he's seen!- a thump was heard with each step she took.

-Shirley.

-I'm totally going to kill him!

-Shirley.

-Ugh, I can't believe him!

-Shirley!- he shouted back, taking the pillow out of his face.

-What!

-Calm down.

-CALM DOWN? How are you so okay with this?!

-Ow, shh. I just think it wasn't that big of a deal. Besides, we know we didn't do it, why do you care?

-What if everyone at school believes him? What if they think I'm a slut? Oh god, they'd totally say that...- she bit her lower lip in frustration as she sat down

-First thing, they'd never say that, I actually think they'd be pretty happy since... you know how they always insist on us being...

-Yeah, yeah.

-And if they said that, we'd still have each other and that's all that we need. Anyway, I don't think they'll believe him, so don't freak out.

     "We'd still have each other and that's all that we need". That phrase echoed in her mind, and her heart melted each time. Maybe it was true, after all. They probably wouldn't need anyone else but each other. She was a hundred percent blushing, but the boy didn't notice because could only see her back, which, even though he loved watching her face, he would never complain about.

-It'll be fine, just forget about it.

-Yeah...

   She collected her thoughts as she stood up and went down the stairs. As soon as she stepped into the kitchen, her brother started humming the wedding march.

-I'm going to kill you!- she said running after him.

     He shot up his chair and started moving around the table. He kept on mocking her, yet he was scared from head to toe since her sister had a fiery temper, to say the least, and historical precedent indicated she was not afraid to hit someone she had just met in the face with a slate, so what would be stopping her from killing him?

-If you dare to say a word to our friends, your hair won't be able to see the light of day again- she said from across the table.

-Fine- he sat back down on his chair, passing his hands through his hair and thanking god that it was still there.

-Phew, baguette boy, she totally won there- the man said, patting his back.

-Maybe I can use that method too- Mary said, looking back at her husband, who opened his eyes widely and passed his hands through his hair too.

-She totally won there- Jerry repeated mockingly, directing it to the man.

     Anne and Mary looked at each other with a playful smile as the woman served the scrambled eggs on two plates. "You are so good at this" the woman mouthed with a surprised yet pleased face.

————————-

      Gilbert woke up hours later, feeling a little bit better. Even though it was already 11 AM, he was going to drink a coffee to try and fix what was left of the hangover. That was the moment in which he was reminded of why his dad insisted on not drinking too much. He rubbed his face and looked around with a sigh. He had just woken up and was already tired. However, his face lit up when he noticed something on his desk. It was a mixture of curiosity and joy that sparked inside when he saw that tray. He already knew it was breakfast what had been left in his room, which reminded him of the good old days, but he was curious about who had left it. Of course, it was the one and only, Anne Shirley Cuthbert. Who else would have been so thoughtful? He walked towards it with a silly smile plastered across his face. He noticed a little note that had a 'Blythe' written in gorgeous lettering. His teeth appeared in his smile when he read the text inside it.

Good morning sleepy head! You've already been sleeping for over an hour since we woke up. You'll probably read this very late in the day, but I guess no one can say no to a breakfast like this: Waffles, scrambled eggs and bacon, by Mary. I saved you some and left it here just in case you got hungry.

                                                                                   Sincerely, Annie aka Shirrrllsss

He chuckled at the last part. He was really drunk that night, indeed. It was a cute nickname he had come up with, though, and he was proud of himself. He took a notebook out of his shelf. It was navy blue and full of words scribbled inside it. He folded the note and placed it carefully inside it. A contented sigh came out of his mouth as he sat back down on his bed and started eating his breakfast while checking his phone.

jer.baynarddd mentioned you in a comment

tillieb mentioned you in a comment

di.barry mentioned you in a comment

josierosie mentioned you in a comment

janie.andws mentioned you in a comment

ruby.gills mentioned you in a comment

charleslo mentioned you in a comment

itsmoodys mentioned you in a comment

cole.mkenzie mentioned you in a comment

-What the...- he said furrowing his eyebrows.

——————————

      Anne was in the living room, laying down on the floor next to Delly. They were both painting, and the only difference was that the redhead painted inside the lines and the one-year-old had a combination of colorful curves across the whole page. However, the teenager exclaimed how beautiful her drawing was and smiled proudly at the little girl. It was a peaceful morning despite the sleeping incident. Luckily, Jerry stopped commenting on the subject since his hair was too precious for him to risk, and Anne wasn't afraid to keep her promise. 

The little girl occasionally spoke, which never failed to make Anne smile. She couldn't believe how much she had grown up during those last months.

-Crayon- the almost two-year-old exclaimed.

-Can you say please?

-Pish- she tried to say, which melted Anne's heart.

-Is this one okay?- she asked, handing her the blue crayon.

-Tinks.

-You're welcome.

         This girl owned Anne's heart. When she showed her little teeth in a smile, she couldn't help but hold her and kiss her whole face. She was rather charismatic, like her father, so it was impossible for her not to conquer everyone she met.

-Good morning- Gilbert said, standing on the doorway, watching their interaction with a toothy smile plastered across his face.

-Better say good night, sleeping beauty- she scoffed with half a smile.

-Gibort!- Delly stood up and ran towards him.

-Heeey, good morning, sunshine- he now picked her up and moved some dark curls from her face- I see you've been drawing.

-Yes!

-Why don't you show Uncle Gilbert your masterpiece?

     Gilbert put her down and she ran back to the spot where they were drawing and kneeled down with a lot of concentration. The boy sat down next to her and looked at the colorful sheet of paper.

-Tell him what you drew here- Anne said, pointing at a shapeless scribble.

-Kitty.

-What an... interesting kitty- he bit back his laughter, making eye contact with Anne, both smiling.

-Maki.

-Oh, a monkey?- he asked, and then the girl screeched imitating that animal and laughed, which made both teenagers smile.

-Daddy- she pointed with her little finger.

-Looks really handsome.

-Mommy, Gibort- she showed a blue curve.

-Is that me?

-Annie!- she now pointed at something that looked like a green circle.

-Ahh- he breathed in dramatically as if she had just said something dreadful- Did you just steal the nickname I invented?!- he put his face close to hers and she was already laughing.

    He threw her in the air and caught her repeated times. The toddler's giggles filled the room as she was tickled by the teenager. The redhead looked at them, completely mesmerized. He had such a way to handle her, which just melted her heart. The joy in his eyes and his tone of voice when he talked to Delly were something that would make Anne's day.

———————

The sun followed its usual path in the sky and was now halfway through it. Silence reigned the room as the curly-haired boy laid on his bed with his mind open, absorbing all the words from his medical book. Meanwhile, the redhead wandered around the room, taking her time to explore it thoroughly. The walls were a navy blue color, giving it a cozy setting. Impregnated in the air was one of Anne's favorite smells: a mixture of his cologne, his deodorant, and his natural scent of pine tree and apple. There was a white desk against one of the walls. It had some shelves attached to the top, in which laid more than twenty books. Half were medical and the other half were classic novels, except for one of them which was a notebook, that matched the color of the wall. However, she wouldn't pay attention to it until later. On the other side of the room, she found a large bookshelf. It was full of trophies, certificates, and pictures. Some were with his dad, others with the Lacroixs and the other ones with their group of friends. Among them, she found one that made her smile. It was a photo of her two best friends as kids. She picked it up and observed it with tender eyes.
-I looked like a fool in that picture- he said without even lifting his eyes from the book.
-I think you looked cute. I mean that smile and those long curls. Oh my god look at those enormous cheeks!- she said in awe.
-We were five back then. We were at Di's house when the first snow came, and we were excited as hell.
-I wish I had known you both back then- she said sitting next to him and he finally unstuck his nose from the book- Everything would be different.
-Different good or different bad?- he said softly, looking deeply into her eyes.
-Remains to be seen- she almost whispered, once again fighting that magnetic force that pulled them together. There they stayed for some seconds, lost in their eyes, looking into each other's soul.
-I'm uh, gonna leave this where it was- Anne said ripping her eyes from his'.
The words from the book appeared again in front of Gilbert's vision as he looked down in disappointment. That feeling was the beginning of something, of a process, of an internal revelation. He looked at the blank top of the page, which was empty, opposite to his racing mind. His fingers fiddled with the corner of the book which was as bent as his eyebrows. His feelings and mind danced inside of him, once again filling his soul with an endless battle between them, as usual. 

Meanwhile, the girl brushed her fingers across every surface, until her eyes spotted an unusual object. On the top shelf, she found a stuffed elephant. It was old, yet it looked like it had been hardly used. She assumed it held precious memories inside since it was surrounded by pictures and trophies. 

-Is this yours?- she asked holding it in her hand, gently caressing the soft fabric. 

-Oh... I didn't think someone would ever notice it was there- he replied, shifting in the bed uncomfortably. 

-Is this from when you were young?

-You could put it that way, yes.

-But was it yours?

-uh, no- he cleared his throat and sat up straight. 

Suddenly there was tension in the air. She knew she had asked a question she shouldn't have, but she was confused. Why was that bad though? 

-Sorry- she mumbled putting it back in its place. 

-No, you didn't do anything wrong, it's fine. 

-Yeah, but you didn't like the question. 

-It's just a story I'd rather leave for another time- he smiled shyly. 

-Sure. 

Silence took over the room once again. Their tasks continued as if nothing had happened. She understood where all of his thousands of black t-shirts came from as soon as she opened his wardrobe. Everything was tidy and in its place, organized by sections. The drawers were filled with underwear and socks, the shelves with shirts, trousers, and t-shirts. Hanging next to it, were his hundreds of hoodies and his iconic football jacket. Something caught her eye all of a sudden. Hidden under his football equipment, she found a guitar case. 

-Is there really a guitar here?- she asked and he looked away from his book once again.

-No, Shirley, I just have a random guitar case in my closet 'cause I like that it takes up space- he chuckled ironically.

-Haha, very funny- she eye-rolled- Do you know how to play?

-Yeah.

-Really? That's amazing! Can I take it out?

-Sure, why not?

               It slid right out of the wardrobe as she pulled it softly. Almost as if it was a glorious moment, the girl had stars in her eyes. She had always been amazed by musical instruments. They were, not only beautiful but also held a whole world inside. Many paths could be followed with it. There was pop music, rock, blues, jazz, and so much more. One could also play instrumental, or music with lyrics. One could play a chord or just pluck a string. If lyrics were the chosen path, there were infinite words and rhymes to combine. Besides, music brought such joy and comfort into many people's lives. 

-Here, come- he left his book on the nightstand and patted the spot next to him so that she would sit down- You know how to hold it, right?

-Yes, I've seen people do it, of course.

      He kneeled down in front of her, putting his hands on her knees to maintain balance. 

-Great. So, I'll tell you the basic stuff. These small sections here are called frets- he said as he showed her, putting his strong hands on the guitar.

-Fret, okay.

-Well, these are guitar strings, but I assume you already knew that.

-I'm not dumb, Blythe, of course I know- she said matter-of-factly

-I know you don't get As because you are lucky. Now, I'll name the strings. Elephants And Donkeys Grow Big Ears.

-Stop messing with me, Blythe!- she hit his head.

-No, Shirley- he laughed softly at her reaction- E, A, D, G, B, E: Elephants And Donkeys Grow Big Ears. It's a mnemonic device.

-How did you ever think of that?

-My dad taught me that when I was seven- he said quickly before clearing his throat and carrying on with the lesson- String E, the one at the top, will also be known as string 6.

-What? That makes no sense.

-I know- he smiled at her frown in a way that Bash would've said he was acting like a moke- Just count from the bottom to the top and you'll be fine.

-It can't be that hard.

-Yeah, yeah, let's don't get over-excited. There are these things called chords, which is kind of a combination of different strings where you place your fingers on. Got it?

-Perfect.

-For example...

      Anne saw as he sat behind her and put his arms on hers'. Her heart started racing and she hoped he couldn't notice, the same happening to the boy. Sparks of electricity were now flying everywhere, but they both pretended they weren't there and that their faces weren't resembling a tomato. 

-If you place your index finger here... the other one here...

     He moved her delicate fingers gently. Her pale hand made contact with his strong and big one, which sent a shock of electricity through each other's veins. They were both stiff and holding their breaths, yet they felt like they belong that way, together, in each other's arms.

-Now you strum, like this...- he gently moved her hand, making the sound of the guitar fill every corner of the room-... there! You got a C major!

     A smile filled with amazement took over Anne's face. He chuckled, softened by her astonishment. He then tried to bit back his smile but failed miserably.

-That's incredible! 

-You're a fast learner.

-Can you play a song now? Anything you want.

-I don't...- he said feeling a mixture of embarrassment and nervousness. He wanted to be good if he was going to show her.

-Come on! Please...

-Fine, give it to me.

         The guitar was passed from hand to hand, one of them completely excited, and the other one kind of nervous. He let out a sigh, put his fingers in its place, and started playing.

A/N: Pst, play the video while you keep on reading!

      Anne was completely flabbergasted. His hand moved gracefully across the frets and plucked different strings. His fingers never stopped moving, but they did it in a smooth way that let the sound come out of the guitar without any flaws. The soft music was completely relaxing, and they were both in a trance. Gilbert was really fond of playing the guitar. He felt like when he did, he could get everything out without having to open up through words. He liked it even more than football, but he had never really told anyone since people always asked for him to play and then they complimented him. He often got complimented, but he joked around it and never took it seriously. The boy had always found it hard to accept one of them. On the other hand, the girl was completely mesmerized by his talent. She couldn't believe how she didn't know he could play the guitar in such a way. Months being best friends and she had just found out about it.

   After three minutes, the melody started getting slower and then faded away. He tapped his fingers anxiously against the polished wooden surface. Anne was quiet, just looking at him with her eyes full of tenderness, but he was nervous. He never played the guitar in front of anyone except his father. Of course, Mary and Bash knew that he played, but they heard him from the other side of the door, smiled fondly at his talent, but never let out any comment since they clearly noticed he tried to keep it for himself. Basically, she was the first person that he ever played a song to after his dad passed away and she was not reacting. He looked down and scratched the back of his neck, already filling his head with the wrong ideas. Then he looked back up one last time with expectant eyes. He was taken aback when the girl wrapped her arms around him, but he then left the guitar on the bed and did the same.

-That was so amazing...- she said with her face deep inside his hoodie. 

      A smile appeared on his lips. The person he cared about the most was in his arms and happy. The fact that he had made her happy for a second was enough for him to be filled with joy. He could feel the scent of her hair that smelled like vanilla and almond, very sweet. His hand could touch the softness of her silky hair as he closed his eyes. She was still amazed by his skills and thought that there was no word that could express how much she had liked it, so she just hugged him instead. She felt like she could've stayed there forever, they both did. She felt protected by his strong, yet gentle embrace. She was holding one of the people she cared about the most in the world.

-Thanks... It could use a bit more practice, though- he pulled away from the hug and started putting the guitar back in its place.

-Wh...Are you kidding me?! Where is my slate when I need it? Gilbert Blythe, you killed it!

      The boy chuckled at her slate comment, shaking his head slightly at the memory.

-What are you laughing at? I'm being serious!

-Nothing, I'm being serious too. There is always more practice to be done.

-Of course, but you can still be amazing at it- She let herself fall onto the bed.

-I don't know, maybe- he scratched the back of his neck as he closed the wardrobe door.

-You can't take a compliment, can you?

-It's just that I never p...

-I've confirmed it. You don't appreciate yourself, and I don't like that about you- she said without moving a muscle.

-Harsh. 

-What? You can't take a compliment either a criticism?

-You're beautiful- he spitted out.

-What?! With this hideous red hair, being this skinny and having this excessiveness of freckles, you are saying that? I wish I were- she replied loudly.

-See? You can't take one either- he said with a playful smirk.

-That doesn't count because you didn't mean it- she added sassily.

-Who told you I didn't mean it?

-No one, but there's no need because it's obvious that no one could like this- she moved her hands up and down, as if she was showing herself.

-And how would you know that if you've never seen yourself from the outside?

-Because it doesn't make any difference if you see it from the inside or the outside.

-Oh, then I'm not talented- he said, taking a step closer to her- because I say I don't like how I play.

-But you are being too hard on yourself so it doesn't count- she repeated the boy's action, already feeling the heat of the discussion running through her veins.

-And you are being too hard on yourself too. I say you are beautiful.

-Well, I say you are talented and that I'm ugly.

-Fine, I say that I'm not talented and you are not beautiful.

-Well, I say you are talented and I'm beautiful!- they were inches apart from each other when she noticed what she had just said.

-See? I told you, you're beautiful- he said with a crooked victorious smile, never ripping his eyes off of hers.

-I'm not!

-But you just said it yourself.

-And you said yourself that you were talented!

-Fine, let's make a deal- he said with a challenging voice, their faces were no more than a centimeter away from each other- I start accepting a compliment if you start too. 

-Fine, challenge accepted.

-Shirley, I said deal, not challenge- he separated his face a little bit- Let's leave the thing in peaceful terms.

-Okay then, deal.

-Deal- they shook hands firmly, both with their chin up. Deep inside, they both thought of it as a challenge.

-Soo- she put on a mischievous smile- About the guitar, you are very talented...

-Hey, Shirley, we have just started- he said with an indignant look, yet biting back a smile.

-The keyword there is 'started'.

-Okay, fine. Thank you. Now that we are complimenting, I must say something. You are beautiful.

       Anne looked at him, then thought what she would answer, and then couldn't help herself. With the face that screamed 'I'm about to run away', she said "I'm not" and the swung the door open to escape.

-Shirley that's not fair! 

      The silence in the living room was destroyed when the two teenagers ran inside it. Delly was playing with some Play-Doh along with her parents when they started arguing there. The three Lacroixs looked up, watching the scene with a confused face. They were shouting at each other, but their words weren't hurtful and they were laughing. Anne was close to the back door that led into the garden, and across the sofa, Gilbert stood with his hands on one of the pillows.

-Shirley, you broke the deal! Come on, you are beautiful, just embrace it; get over it.

-Well, I don't believe in this deal anymore. I think you can be talented and I can be ugly, both at the same time!

-We agreed on this five seconds ago! I accepted your compliment, now you have to accept mine! You. Are. Beautiful.

-Well, I don't think so!

-You are not getting away with this, you know?

      The adults were still sitting beside the table, wondering if they were invisible. Eye contact was made between them, both asking what was happening with just a look. The one-year-old got quickly tired of the show and continued playing like before, ignoring the shouting that was happening between uncle Gibort and auntie Annie. Meanwhile, her parents talked at each other since they realized that the couple in front of them hadn't even noticed their presence.

-At first, I thought Blythe had finally declared his love, but it doesn't seem like it anymore- Bash said with a thick Trinidadian accent.

-I only know they made a kind of deal, but I have no idea what it was about.

-I don't think they are even arguing. This is like a war of compliments.

-Looks like it at least.

       They looked at them with furrowed eyebrows, wondering what would happen next... and what had happened before.

-Well, I...- Anne continued- I am getting away with this if I want to!

     She threw one of the cushions at the boy and then quickly opened the back door, entering the cold weather. Gilbert grabbed it quickly and then ran behind her, shouting "Did you forget that I know how to tackle, Shirley?". They both dashed under the light of the sun, their laughter invading every corner of the quiet town. Gilbert caught her after some seconds and, indeed, tackled her, but instead of pushing her to the ground, he picked her up by her legs and carried her around. She was hanging from his shoulder. Her hair dangled in the air, but her arms were wrapped around his waist as she screamed. Among laughter and breathlessly, she shouted:

-Gilbert Blythe put me down! I'm going to fall down!

-I'd never drop you, Shirls- he said and kept on whistling as he walked around, carrying her like a sack of potatoes.

-Put me down!- she kept on laughing.

-Not until you fulfill your part of your deal.

-No way!

-Guess you'll stay here for a long time.

-That's fine with me!

-That's sad because pretty soon your blood's going to go up to your head...- he wore a wide smirk.

-Fine!

-You are beautiful, Shirley.

-Thank you! Now put me down!

-As you please, ma'am- he said as he obeyed, doing it gently.

        By now, they were near Barry's pond, so they decided to go there. They sat by the water, enjoying some quiet comfort after loud fun. The light of the sun was reflected and shone directly into their faces. She was curled up and was hugging her legs. During all that time she had just been wearing a short-sleeved t-shirt since they hadn't stopped to get her coat before she ran away.

-Hey, sorry- he said full of shame, taking off his grey champion hoodie and handing it to her- Have this.

-What? It's fine, don't worry.

-Shirley, you'll die of hypothermia out here if you are not wearing anything.

-You'll die of hypothermia too if you take out your hoodie.

-I'm wearing a long-sleeved t-shirt. Besides, this way you can make up for not fulfilling the part of your deal from the start.

-Fine.

     She put it on and felt his body warmth transferring to hers. His natural scent was strongly concentrated on it, which, of course, she would never complain about. She curled up in a ball once again, but now she laid her arms on her knees, and half of her face on her arms, so she could smell the hoodie without him noticing. A smile formed on her lips when the soft fabric made contact with her nose and filled it with one of her favorite smells. It was oversized for her, but that made her cuter in Gilbert's eyes. He looked at her thoroughly. Saying that her eyes looked like the clear water in front of them doesn't make justice to their beauty. Her eyes were much deeper and full of treasures. Her nose and cheeks were now rosy due to the cold weather, which contrasted her many freckles. A strand of red hair fell from the hoodie that was over her head, which looked more vibrant than ever against the grey fabric. She looked exhausted. Not tired from running, but exhausted. Her collarbone was just a bit more noticeable and the dark semi-circles under her eyes didn't go unnoticed by the boy. However, he decided not to mention it, and be patient. He continued appreciating her beauty, and never got the need to look around at the view, which was outstanding.

-This view is breathtaking- she said, taking in the shining water and the red leaves dancing in the wind.

-It is- he said softly.

-I like it.

-Me too. I've liked it ever since I laid eyes on it- he whispered, never looking away from her, camouflaging his real feelings in a sentence that would go unnoticed.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

21.1K 531 26
"Anyway, that piece of paper contains the name of this texting app. It's completely anonymous, so you can download it, make your account with no atta...
34.7K 1K 62
Anne Shirley-Cuthbert had finally settled into her life at Green Gables when tragedy struck. For maybe the first time in her life, Anne has to accept...
260K 6.3K 103
Gilbert Blyth X Reader, this will be seasons 1-3 of Anne with an e but with the reader instead. I suck at writing so it will be pretty bad and I wil...
33.3K 720 23
Season 4 AND 5! I can't stand the fact we wont (as for now) be having new episodes to look forward to so I've written my own version of how I would...