Wilting Roses (Formerly known...

By Ortiz-Novels

Heart broken and mistreated by her arranged husband, Scarlett Heart seeks refuge in a massive garden hidden i... More

Cover Art
Copyright © 2014 by Mara L. Ortiz
Wedding Day
Grand Feast
Arrival
2 years and 9 Month's
Tragic Karma
Guilt
Punishment
The Little Things
Apologies
Conflicted
Little Lies
Challanged Thought's
Falling Harder
Rejection
Urgent Message
Recovery and Dispair
Hiding in Plain Sight
The Truth
Anticipation
The Encounter
The Day is Gone
Heart Warming Farewell
Carnival
When Push Comes to Shove
Plead Bargin
Against All Odds
Holding On to Stay True
Final Blow
True Love's Last Kiss
Pressure
Fear of The Truth
Set Things Right
Confrontation
There's A Fire
Looking for Shelter
Winter Has Come
Peace
Sweet Winter Spring & Summer
Fin

Heart At Ease

88K 3.2K 460
By Ortiz-Novels

Chapter Fourteen

The rain began to fall and Scarlett rushed over to her husband, but by the time they reached the back door the rain had soaked them from head to toe.  Carefully she led him up the stairs and into his chamber where she proceeded in handing him his robe and excusing herself.

"Goodness me, you are drenched, would you like us to draw a bath for the both of you?" Bridget asked. 

She held in her arms a bundle of white sheets as she giggled at the condition Scarlett stood in.  Politely she agreed and Bridget nodded and hurried down the steps to call for the rest of the girls.  Scarlett closed the door to her room and pulled from her hair all the pins that held it up.  Tussling it, she undid the braids and quickly disposed of her dress.  She reached for her robe and pulled into it while reaching her window and pushing it open. 

This weather pleased her as she smiled and watched as lightning struck and the gray clouds rumbled.  She had not been to her garden but she was happy that at least water had grazed its presence. The girls entered and quickly vanished after drawing her bath, leaving her to have her privacy.  The silk night robe slipped from her shoulders and Scarlett lit a few candles inside her washroom and undid her corset.  Her breast cried relief and she sighed to feel the stinging pain around her waist vanish. 

Her toes tested the water and then fully submerged herself and surfaced gasping for air.  The pedals stuck to her as she took hold of a few and rubbed them against her skin.  Scarlett made certain to clean herself well and after her bath was finished, she dressed in a beautiful pink dress and combed through her air.  She let her long locks of brown hair flow and simply took half of it and pinned it with a diamond hair clip. 

Stepping out of her room she quietly walked to her husband's chamber knocking lightly as she stepped in.  Dathan rested in bed his eyes weary as she went about making certain his feet were well elevated.

"Would you like me to close your window?" She asked.

Dathan was too lost in his trance to answer; he simply stared at the way her light pink dress made her pale skin glow.  He marveled at the way her silky almond hair flowed with every step she took. She looked different with her hair down, more breathtaking.

"Paint for me." He said.

Caught off guard by the sudden question, she turned to look at Dathan a but puzzled. "Excuse me?" she said.

"I understand if you have other plans, maybe you were thinking of seeing your significant other?" he questioned. She could clearly see the way his brow furrowed at the last words.

"No, I had no plans, sure, why not." She replied. "Heaven's me you must be bored out of your wits." Scarlett whispered more to herself as she made her way out of the door.

It had been one of her yearnings to express to her husband just how passionate she was about her art.  Now that the opportunity surfaced, she could not help but feel a bit giddy about it.  Scarlett was uncertain why he had asked but nonetheless it was the second time he had approached her about it.  Deep down she did not want to lift her spirits but something in her knotted with delight to know that he was interested, even though he might be bored.  Once she retrieved everything that she needed, she settled everything beside his bed. 

The small oval tray in her hands soon began to fill with many different mixed colors as she began with the background of the canvas.  Her back chiseled to know he stared.  It hit Scarlett so suddenly the feeling of fright as she pressed the brush unto the canvas.  Slowly she closed her eyes and took a light breath.  She thought how comforting her garden made her feel, how safe and welcome it enveloped her every time she walked into it.  Her eyes opened and a smile formed unto her lips as she knew just then what she would paint.

Dathan watched attentively how the white background soon became a large brick wall, and how slowly she moved from the top to the bottom, painting small patches of what seemed like grass.  Once the top part of her canvas had dried she lifted her brush dipped it in green and vines began to form as she worked quickly.  Back to the bottom, she went to create a cement trail leaving the center untouched as she blended white and gray together.  Finally, her hand lifted once again, creating breathtaking blood red roses.  Dathan anticipated the center of attention as the last rose was painted and as he waited for her to clean her brush and begin with the center a knock slewed whatever disposition was left in her.

The door creaked open and no other than his beautiful mistress stood at the door eyeing the situation before her.  Scarlett turned back to her canvas and quickly stood amassing her paints and brushes into her hands.  Scooting the large portrait, she set it aside and quickly walked past Camille never making eye contact with her.  Dathan felt a growl surface as he watched his wife exit the room without a word and felt annoyed at his mistress presence.

"Might I have a word with you?" she asked.

The door behind her clicked shut and Scarlett's rushed footsteps pounded in rhythm with his heart.  Camille sighed and smiled as she slipped out of her heels and snuggled in next to him.   

"Forgive me for the wretched way I behaved earlier." She whispered.

"Worry little about it, I know I did."  He mumbled his eyes still glued to the door.  Camille giggled and nestled her face into the nape of his neck invading his privacy by slipping her hand under his un-tucked shirt.  Her hand did what it could to coax him to relax but all he felt in return was a cold touch.  His hand covered her own to make her discontinue and he sighed, feeling suddenly frustrated.

"You seem tense." She whispered.  Her lips trailed small kisses down his neck and Dathan shifted feeling suddenly confused.  Camille pulled away and like all those other nights; she removed her dress and settled over his lap straddling him.  A battle began to weigh inside his heart as he looked up at her.  Camille undid the pins in her hair and giggled as she ran her fingers through it.  Why was he lacking the need to take her?

She neared his mouth and pressed an all too accustomed kiss unto it while on his behalf nothing seemed to rouse.  Dathan felt his throat knot as the slick of her tongue entered his mouth.  He drew in a sharp breath and turned his face from her, she took no notice the rigid condition his body was in.  Her mouth began to lavish his torso as her hands undid each button one by one to give her more admission. 

Dathan thought about last night and how it had affected him like gluttony the need to make love to his wife.  The ache he had suppressed for Scarlett attacked his veins as he dared to venture his thoughts into intimate detailed fantasies of her.  Notions floated into his mind like volley as he cunningly smiled to envision just what he could do to her.  He fancied her mouth agape breathless for air as the trance he thrust into her body made her eager and intoxicated.  A sturdy rush filled him as he felt his chest heave.  Dathan felt short of breath for the first time in his life as he coveted what he suddenly comprehended he could never have.

Camille's laughter invaded his thoughts as she grasped for his hands to fit them on her hips.  Dathan closed his eyes as the last string of his patience was close to rupturing.  When he opened them, he felt his heart stopover as it was Scarlett's beautiful aspect that smiled cunningly at him.

Something in the far back of his befuddled mind told him this was too much that he was going senseless.  Nonetheless, he reached for her face and tangled his hands into her stunning soft brown hair.  Constraining her against him, he pursued her mouth in eagerness and felt his heart out of control as his tongue smothered her mouth.  He was losing direction of his passions; something voiced this was just an illusion, that the one whom really nestled into his embrace was his mistress.  Dathan felt he needed this, he needed to at least fantasize with this woman what he craved he could do to the one he comprehended he was falling so hard over.

"Dathan, I never thought you would miss me as much?"  Camille gasped.  His hands tugged her hips against his and he groaned as his mind failed to hear her words.

Dathan visualized her winded, uttering his name in pleasure and loving every lavished stroke he made her undergo.  He coveted their bodies in a moist interwoven precision inside the portrait she had created in that large canvas; a beautiful perfect place to make love to her.

"Scarlett." Dathan uttered.  The simple action to groan her name made him tremble with a power he botched to recognize as love.

"What!" Camille shrieked.  Her cold and unwelcomed tone awoke him out of the trance and Dathan scooted away from her falling into a sitting position on the edge of his bed.

"What did you say?" she hissed in anger.

"Have you gone mad?" he asked.  He knew he had done wrong, so very wrong, but a smile seemed to force itself upon him as he faced his back to her.  Dathan felt so alive and he felt the most awoken he had ever been as he realized something big taking place in his heart.

"Scarlett, you called me Scarlett!" she snapped, elevating her voice.

"What has gotten into you, clearly you are delusional." he defended.

"First you fail to allow me lead you down to the dining room," she said putting her clothes back on, -"and when I tried to kiss you goodbye, you give me your cheek, thirdly, I walk in and find her in here painting." she rambled on.

He did not argue simply sat amazed at the sudden turn his love life had taken.  Camille crossed her arms over her chest and waited for him to give an explanation but Dathan fought to explain himself.  Finally, a lie quickly made itself out his mouth.

"I have been so irritated lately with this whole mess, and I feel like I am never going to be able to actually walk. Forgive me if I made you feel aside," he replied trying to look ashamed.  Deep within him he felt a smile grow, he had almost been caught fantasizing about Scarlett.

"Then do you wish for me to stay?" she asked, falling for his lies.

"I think it is best that you go on home, my back will fail to be any good in any position." he lied yet again.

"Alright, but be certain you will owe me for this long week that has gone by." she said, kissing him then heading for the door.

*******

Scarlett assembled inside her room and observed the rainfall and gently, she pulled her hand out the window to feel the rain drops beat against her skin.  She watched it water the back yard and her garden, from her window she could almost see the tiny white angel that stood atop of the white fountain. 

Sitting there alone she suddenly recalled the letter she had sent out to her mother and could not remember receiving an answer to it.  She hoped that everything was well with her family and that her sisters were taking good care of her mother.

Scarlett had three younger sisters that all followed behind her.  They were each born one year after the other, and she had no brothers.  The only one to be pledge to be married was Scarlett, she was thankful that her parents did not go senseless promising her sisters to men like Dathan.  They were free to prize and choose whom they wanted for a husband.

She sighed and stood from her chair making her way out the door.  Scarlett spotted Camille exiting the mansion and made her way to check on her husband.  It was a miracle she had not spent a single night here since his injury.  Who knew, maybe his back gave in quickly?  Thought Scarlett.  A sudden laughter erupted from her as she made her way towards his door and covered her mouth as she neared it.  Failing to compose herself she bit down hard on her lip, as she entered, she let out another laugh and bit down on her tongue.  She struggled to compose herself once again as she saw Dathan's confused stare.

"Excuse me." She chuckled.

Once she felt completely under control she wiped at her tears and collected herself, lightly stepping into his chambers.

"Might I ask what was so humorous?" Dathan questioned.

"Nothing of great importance, it was quite silly," she replied.  Scarlett gathered in her arms the large canvas and she eyed it for a moment hoping she had captured the beauty and the safety it made her feel.

"Will you finish?" he asked.

"A painting takes more than one day to finish, I need this background to dry in order to start with the center of attention."

"Keep it in here, you can continue with it tomorrow."

"You want me to keep painting?" she asked taken aback.

"Yes, it's rather interesting to watch you paint."

Confused she placed her things to the far corner away from his bed; she did not want him stumbling over them at night much less when she aided him out of bed.

"Are we ready to give your legs another try?" she asked taking a seat next to him.

"Ready." he muttered, pulling off the covers.

Scarlett enfolded and arm around his waist and drew him close, he was beginning to relish her do that too much. 

Scarlett was getting accustom to having Dathan so close that her legs did not quiver anymore when she had him this near.  She did feel a shudder go through her when his lips got too close but she knew it never meant anything to him to have her so near.  Rising she led him to the door and out the hall.  Warning him before stepping away, she left him to balance on his own.

She stayed three feet in front of him as she watched him walk towards the end of the hall, she was proud of herself for accomplishing him to walk before the month was up. 

His legs did not wobble nor gave out as he made it to the end of the hall only hesitating after taking three steps every time.  For a moment, he stopped close to the end of the hall and she hurried to face him.  Dathan had beads of sweat forming on his brow as he took another step and abruptly trapped her between the wall and he.  He grasped for the wall with each hand and positioned them against the wall on each side of her face.  She felt herself stop breathing as he bore his dark eyes into hers, a hint of sadness crossing them.

"Are you alright?" she whispered.

He did not reply simply pulled from the wall, away from her, and turned to walk slowly away.  She was there three steps behind him and neared him when he crossed the steps.  Dathan panted as he sat on his bed and Scarlett rushed out the room to bring him a glass of water.  He knew he was not tired, but failed to breathe because he had fought the desire to kiss her.  Holding his face in his hands, he felt disappointed at himself.

He was starting to see Camille a distant matter now, and craved to rid of her.  He wanted to fight for Scarlett; he wanted to fight for her love and affection.  He regretted ever calling for the lawyer and having those documents done the very same day of their marriage.  He could burn the papers, pretend that he had never called for them, and fight to keep Scarlett.

A heavy knock came at the door and lifting his head he was surprised to see no other than his father stand at the threshold.  The unpleasant expression in his father's face clearly pointed out that he was in no laughing mood.  Dathan and Sir Heart have never quite seen eye to eye and had like so many other father and sons a very distant relationship because of their opinion in certain things.

"A moment of your time Dathan." Sir Heart said.

He simply nodded and gripped the edge of the bed as he looked down to his shin high black leathered boots.

"Sir Heart?" Scarlett suddenly asked.

He turned and smiled kindly to her a side Dathan had not seen for a very long time on his father's face.

"Would you excuse us my dear, I need to speak with my son alone." he muttered.

"Of course." She whispered.

The door shut and Dathan waited on his father to address him as he rested his arms over his legs. 

"I have been informed that Scarlett wishes to divorce you." he began.

Long ago he had planned on confessing to his father about such truth after he had signed the documents and send Scarlett on her way.  He had been certain that if informed beforehand he would not allow him to divorce.  His mind fumbled to figure who might have spilled the gossip and settled on either his mother or Camille for that matter.        

"How did you hear of this?" he asked, clearing his throat.

"Scarlett informed me the very day you got injured." he replied.

"Scarlett?"

His eyebrows knitted together as confusion filled him to hear his father explain how she had clearly taken the blame for their marriage failing miserably.

"It pains me to hear that she fails to love you, Scarlett confessed that she did not want to hurt you anymore by making you believe something that never was meant to be." Sir Heart explained.

"I understand." Dathan muttered, still bewildered.

"Just how much do you love Scarlett, Dathan?" he asked.

Love?  He paused for a moment to consider the word and felt his inner self-twist and turn.  For the first time in his life he felt it a good thing as his heart accelerated just to think of her.  He grew mute unable to say the words as he looked up to his father searching his eyes for any hint of anger.  Instead, there was fear and sorrow inside the old man's grey eyes as he locked gazes with his son.

"Do you love her?" he persisted.

"Yes father...I do...God help me I love her." he confessed.

It felt like a large weight of arguments had finally been settled in him as he let the words spill.  He had never thought that he would ever fall for her this fast and so passionately.        

"I deeply recommend you fight for her, I do not wish to lose my daughter in law no more than you do." He advised.  Sir Heart patted Dathan's shoulder and exited his chamber quietly closing the door behind him.  When his footsteps had faded the doorknob turned once again and in entered the woman he know realized he loved.

"A word." He said to her.

Scarlett walked quietly to his side and took a seat next to him fiddling with her fingers.  It was then that he noticed she no longer wore her wedding band and a panic shock filled him as he lifted his gaze to look at her.

"Why did you blame yourself for our failing marriage?" he asked.  He searched her eyes, waiting to hear what she might say as she turned from him and stood.

"If I had not then Sir Heart would blame you...and completely forget he had a son." She said.

"There was no reason for you to do such action." He replied.

"Most certainly, if I had not then he would have tried to intervene and prevent you from getting a divorce.  There is a large amount of land promised to your family in this marriage, and if he found out that I wanted the divorce and not you then he would have pity on you and not fix his anger out on you." She confessed.

"Those lands are of no importance to me any longer." He whispered, more to himself.

"Forgive me, I never did ask you for it.  If I had known I had to bare you a son I would have said something.  I know the thought of you and I close to one another does not please you.  I knew it from the start." She chuckled.

Dathan grew speechless as he clenched his jaw and fisted his hands.  The thought of them together in an intimate passionate heat made him want to beg her for forgiveness and confess to her what his heart know felt.  He no longer loathed her nor thought of her as a ghost but as a woman who was brave and beautiful something he had failed to see the moment he met her.

"There is no reason for you to ask for forgiveness," he manage to reply.

Scarlett reached to touch his hand and gave it a friendly squeeze as she pressed a smile on her face.  "I know things did not work out between us and know that after making your life miserable I will do the honors in leaving so that you and Lady Camille can finally have the life you both have wanted." she whispered.

Should he tell her that he was regretful for ever hurting her, that now the thought of her leaving made him panic and fear that he might never see her again?  Dathan turned from Scarlett and sighed letting the strong shutter course his veins.  He needed to plan this, words that could capture her heart needed to be thought of.

"My father asked you to reconsider?" he managed to ask.

"Yes."

He had never known that she had cared for his father's opinion of him; he frankly did not care what his father thought.  However, to Scarlett it had meant a lot, that she had even accused herself, made herself look like the depraved one...for him.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

64.1K 2K 26
~Completed~ "Why are you being so shy?" He whispered. "I've seen, kissed, tasted every inch of your body. There is nothing to hide." I averted my e...
1.4K 213 56
Scarlett and Luke found each other when they were completely broken and somehow managed to fix each other's broken hearts. They are soulmates; but so...
313 27 28
Scarlette recently lost her mother and has been on the run ever since. She has no idea that she is one of the most powerful witches around. She meets...
3.7K 11 4
We can't always choose who we fall in love with. Sometimes, sacrifices have to be made. Tamara loved her husband. Or so she thought, until his cousin...