The Black Dane : The Fools War

By Skipology

[ Book 1 of my "The Last Kingdom" Fanfiction series] Khaana was a rare find and a wild prized gifted to Earl... More

C A S T
SOUNDTRACK
Sleeping Hounds
The Saxon Child
Uhtred son of Uhtred
A Wasp and a Promise
The Runts
The Humane Monsters
A Fight, Not His Last
Silver Bonds
The Littlest Dane
The Forwarding of Time
Hel Fire
Shifting Through Ruin
A Plague of Lies
The Creature Caught
The Scent of a Trap
The Taking
The Den of the Lion
No Saints Among Them
The Fork In Destiny
No Prey
Alfred
Idiocy
A Test of Flames
Restless Wessex
A Slow Turn
The Unforeseen
Crowned King of Wessex
Negotiations
Trying Times
Minds Eye
Decisions
So Vows Uncertainty
To Build Understanding
Even Match
Unholy
Brewing Machinations
Watchers
Forsworn
Something Borrowed
Well Wishes to Ill Beginnings
Conceived Bonds
Something Soured
Makings of a Spy
Fyrstburรฐarsonr

Arselings and Urswines

690 30 6
By Skipology

   Uhtred's eyes opened from where he and Brida rested through the night, he could hear the thudding of hooves in the shallow grass. His eyes met with Khaana who lead a horse behind her as she walked. "Where did you get that?" Uhtred asked her, rubbing the sleep from his eyes. "I back tracked, I cannot enter Winchester as a horse, they will have me stabled and I may kick someone" Khaana said with a dry chuckle.

Uhtred smirked but could see Khaana's jesting was masking worry, "I'm not stable Uhtred, around Saxon royalty. I do not dare show myself, as my true self yet. So I go as a hound, I can protect you that way and You can reel me in should I....bite" Khaana reasoned. "As a hound I can follow you wherever you may need to go. people always trust a loyal dog." Khaana added.

Uhtred looked to the horse and gave its nose a pat "sounds like a good plan." Uhtred said. Khaana gave a short chuckle "good, because I was not asking, let Brida rest a while longer," she said, watching the girl as she slept peacefully "for she is not made for such places as we are bound to go." Khaana sighed.

Khaana's eyes lingered on Brida, in truth she had a prickle that ran through her skin, She would follow Uhtred anywhere, but unlike Uhtred, there was no more Saxon left in her blood, and she was no longer meant to be among them. Khaana sat at Brida's side and pet her head carefully, Uhtred looked over the horse she had brought.

"Did you steal it?" He asked amused, it was a fine horse. "No, of course not, it simply chose to follow me, and who was I to deny a cute little horse?" Khaana hummed, Uhtred chuckled. "Did it follow you because you yourself took the form of a horse?" He asked. Khaana gave a small smirk. "You are a witch Khaana and one day they will burn you." Uhtred said in playful reprimand. "Oh yes, a terrible witch who mothers lawless godless Danes, we'll all burn...should we not burn them first." Khaana replied.

Uhtred went to sit at her side and resting his head on Khaana's shoulder he sighed.

"You won't bite anyone as we come through the gates of Winchester will you?" Uhtred asked, to which Khaana matched his sigh and rested her head atop his "I make no promises." She said, at which Uhtred chuckled.

____________________________________________________________

   Thin clouds blanketed the sky as Uhtred and Brida rode through the gates of Winchester, Khaana following carefully at the side of the horses.

The people gawked and shied away from the Danes with large hound.

Noticing the gathering crowd Uhtred looked about. "Why are they all staring at us?" He asked.

Brida gave an amused smile, "They think you're pretty." She mocked, but her smile fell as she narrowed her eyes at the crowd "or maybe it is that they have never seen a Dane so close before." She said.

Brida matched the gaze of a scowling Saxon, "but they will." She added.

Khaana kept her eyes on the towns people "be careful, fear can make people harmless just as easily as it can render them reckless, and that could be - unfortunate." Khaana thought to Uhtred.

Uhtred held back a smirk "we could take them." He thought back to her.

Khaana gave a displeased snarl "That is exactly my fear, do not boast such foolishness, Osbert. We need them, if you treat a pawn like a pawn they will not move. Make a pawn as important as the knight and they will move out blindly for you. We will not harm the Saxon villagers." Khaana reasoned. Khaana's eyes carefully watched as a young girl looked amazed by the size of the pagan's hound, and gave her tail a slight wag to ward off fear before the girls mother grabbed her arm and lead her away.

Uhtred gave a nod and remained silent, spotting a child sitting a roof, who looked at him with little to no fear. scrunching up his face Uhtred tried to be playful with the  child, who seemed unsure of the strangers in town.

Ahead of them the modest huts and buildings led up to greater stone pillars, it was both bleak and beautiful in its craft. Behind in a large stone dwelling. It was not flashy it could have been a castle, church or Monastery. Some of the following crowd had started to jeer quietly, a few number of brave souls who hoped to tell their Dane visitors that they were not wanted.

Between them and the large procession that had formed, it was starting to cause unrest. "This we do not need" Khaana thought to Uhtred, He drew his horse to a slowed pace, and it pranced about feeling the unease rise. From the stone pillars of the archway leading to the keep, trickled out soldiers, guards in full mail, Khaana's fur bristled at the site of them. She had warned Uhtred not to go looking for a fight, but the amount of guards that were coming forth, as a show. A show that let her know, they'd been warned. 

Khaana's eyes stayed on the guards spearheads as they parted, leaving only two to stand to block the way of Uhtred and Brida. Heavy footfalls clunking against the ground as a large man strolled with lazy bear like steps through the soldiers, and they moved from his path without hesitation.  The lumbering soldier, chomped on a piece of bread he carried with him and examined the two Danes. He gave his men a wave, and the other three left, leaving him, one other and the two soldiers to block they way. His face was slightly dirtied and carried a good number of old scars, worn eyes that were fierce but unafraid - in fact, they didn't old a care in the world at they looked down at the small Dane before him. "Easy, Osbert. This ones a warrior." Khaana warned.  Uhtred, looked up at the man, he did not see the problem. In fact, why wouldn't this be better? Uhtred had grown up with warriors, he knew how to talk to them and if anything, this man should see the warriors in himself and that should make things easier.

Uhtred, for the moment felt Khaana was being overly cautious, "we have business here, with king, Aethelred." Uhtred spoke plainly. While pride in her boy rose in her chest, for he had no fear or talking to the large intimidating man as an equal, Khaana cringed inside. For it was clear from the look on his face, that he was displeased with the Dane's lack of manners and fear. Not that Khaana felt much better, she had to admit, it was annoying how this man had come out bold as brass, munching on his bread like a cow would chop on cud. standing tall with shoulders squared back and head held too high. what was worse, what the look on his face as he peer down at them from over his nose. almost as if they hadn't been people at all - though, technically, she wasn't.

"Go home!" a man in the crowd shouted, it seemed the Saxon warrior inspired bravery in the people of the city as their jeering became louder. Uhtred, clenched his teeth, the Saxon Warriors show wasn't setting well with him either. With a calm starting to rattle free form his voice as it turned into a simmering frustration, Uhtred tried again, "I say we have business with the king." he repeated.

Still the Saxon Warrior stood chomping away, at his bread. "oh the many horrors I could do to you, you  imperious loafing boar. say you something." Khaana grumbled inwardly. Tapped into her thoughts, Uhtred struggled not to smile at her inner muttering.  "do you not, understand English?" Uhtred asked the Saxon Warrior, he was tired of the unwelcome and the trouble making spirit of his was quickly clawing itself out form where he had tried to mash it down.

The Saxon warriors was very displeased by Uhtred's own bold behavior, "Is that what you're speaking Arseling," he questioned in an unimpressed tone, "You sound like a Dane." He sneered in a slow dry lull. Uhtred smirked, letting all the niceties fall away. This was a game he could play.

"Tell me, why are you dressed as a warrior, when you look like a farmer?" Uhtred asked, tossing the Saxon warrior a mocking smile. Khaana gave a her tail a wag, in spite of herself, she enjoyed the annoyed flicker in the warriors eyes. but it did not last long. The Saxon Warriors men, seemed none too pleased with the insult, and raised their weapons ever so slightly. Khaana's tail rose high, and her ears perked forward as her hackles spiked along her spine a low growl emitted through her throat. The soldiers, eyes the large hound carefully as seemed wary as she  moved a few paces forward. 

The truth was, the Saxon's Warriors soldiers, did not look incredibly fierce, Uhtred's joke was pointed towards the warrior, but his men were the ones who looked to bet he farmers. That said, even a farmer can be dangerous, it was a notion that the Danes hadn't grasped yet. the simple truth that a person didn't need to be a warrior to be a fighter, or a problem, if given the chance.

The Saxon Warrior took a step forward a deep grimace on his face "A farmer am I?" He sneered, his face turned up into a grizzly-like snarl. "I'd wager this farmer against you anytime." He boasted. Uhtred, removed the peace on straw from his mouth that he'd been chewing on, and tossed it to the ground. He watched the Saxon Warrior, sizing him up and for a moment contemplating the challenge, it could be fun. 

Brida glanced between the two men, she new that look in Uhtred's eye, and she was not to be thrown form the gates before so much as seeing the king. Not after being pushed to come all this way, "we have come peaceably to see the king." she said to the Saxon warrior through gritted teeth, "Uhtred what are you doing?" she scolded.

"She is right, Uhtred, calm down. do not let the Urswine  lure you into a trap." Khaana agreed, Uhtred smirked at her voice in his head, but he knew she knew it was too late for that. No, the Saxon sent a challenge, and he aimed to meet it.

Uhtred gave a nod down to the bristled Khaana, "My dog, thinks you're an Urswine," he said with a quiet chuckle. The Saxon Warrior's eyes briefly flicked down to Khaana, who still stood bristled, her eyes met his as if to dare him to make the slightest move in the wrong direction. "but tell me, Farmer, what is it? first blood or to the death?" Uhtred questioned.

Khaana nearly rolled her eyes "you listen to me boy, you will not participate in this." she thought to him, but Uhtred had all but tuned her out completely. 

"Uhtred!" Brida called with a scowl as Uhtred hopped down from his horse.

The crowd cheered and the Saxon Warrior stepped forward, tossing what remained of his bread loaf to the ground. "I'll be splitting your skull, boy. so one comes after the other." the warrior rumbled between chomps. He walked down the steps and stood across from Uhtred, both men taking on battle stances. Khaana circled around to stand at Uhtred's side, closer to Brida. if things where to sour, she needed to  be were she could protect them both.

As the crowd started to roar in excitement, mutely mixed in their jeers was the scuttle of feet, in flat shoes and the shuffling of robes. "Uhtred?" a familiar voice called out.

Uhtred drew his eyes away from the Saxon Warrior and looked to the steps from which he chad come down. Uhtred's eyes lit as he looked at the scruffy and slightly aged face of the Priest he'd grown up with. "Father Beocca?" He questioned happily.

Uhtred, rushed up the few steps and met the priest in a hug as Beocca laughed. Khaana eyes stayed trained on the Saxon warrior as the two shared a gleeful reunion "oh, my, goodness..." Beocca breathed holding Uhtred's face as he got a good look at the once child. 

"You know this Arseling, Father?" the Saxon Warrior asked, reluctantly taking his eyes away from the aggressive hound. 

"I do! yes, I do." Beocca said voice full of pride.  Beocca let Uhtred go and looked amazed "Uhtred you"re...You're fully grown!" He gasped to which Uhtred nodded and grinned " and you're old!" he said matching Beocca's tone.

Beocca laughed quietly and teetered his head form side to side, "yes," he said with a nod "I am!" he chuckled as Uhtred drew him into another big hug "you're a man." Beocca said again. He'd never want to admit it, less so now that he was looking at the once small boy in the eye as an adult that stood a few inches taller than himself, but had lost hope that Uhtred had survived life with the Danes. 

Khaana followed behind the Saxon warrior as he took a few steps towards the pair, she wanted him and his men to know she'd not forgotten them as Uhtred had, Brida feeling safer with Beocca being a friendly face, hopped down from her horse, and stood behind Khaana, her hand latched in her fur, as if she were a little girl again.

"It is alright, Brida." Khaana thought to her calmly, "you can chuck a axe in his back if he makes a move." she added with a snicker. Brida ruffled Khaana's fur and gave a tiny hint of a smile.

The Saxon warrior's hand rested casually on the pommel of his sword "He claims to have business with the king." He said to Beocca. The warriors whole demeanor seemed to have changed once aware that Beocca knew Uhtred, and well by the looks of things. While he still held the air that he could cut the Dane down if need be, his words and posture were far more passive than before.

The fun had been ruined and the crowd had quietly wandered away. They'd not see Dane blood shed in their streets today.

Beocca looked to the Saxon Warrior, Uhtred watching him, Beocca did not seem troubled by him or even fazed by him. Uhtred started to relax and his guard dropped, he trusted Beocca and he seemed very comfortable with the warrior's presence. "yes, that is true." Beocca said to the warrior.

"but on with the King," He said turning to Uhtred, " Alfred must be the one he speaks with." Beocca said to him, resting a hand on Uhtred's shoulder .

The Saxon warrior looked between the two, "you vouch for him?" he asked. He was not going to let the Dane pass bye without a good word from someone who had pull, and that someone was to be the priest. It would be his head if anything happened. 

" I vouch for him, yes, I will vouch for him." Beocca said without a beat skipped as he looked at Uhtred with pride. " god has sent you surely." he said to Uhtred.  He looked at Uhtred in disbelief one more time holding him at his shoulders "you're  a man." he muttered once more. Uhtred chuckled and turned to Brida, he looked at her with a slightly softened gaze and great fondness. "Father Beocca, this is Brida my greatest friend." Uhtred said.

Brida gave a quivered smile, as she nervously took a step forward, releasing Khaana's fur reluctantly. "Its alright, its just an old man, he is no harm, I've seen him before." Khaana thought to her.  Khaana watched as Brida made her way to Uhtred's side. Beocca watched her with that same friendly grin, be it a bit astonished. "A woman?" He questioned, well of course, Uhtred was grown now. But his little Osbert was traveling with a woman, a woman who looked more Dane that Uhtred had. 

"Yes." Uhtred said.

Brida looked at Beocca slightly uncomfortable as she was out of her element "I am..." she said slowly confused by the priests amazement and Beocca seemed equally as confused about the slightly frantic look in the back of her eyes. "I have tits..." Brida said.

Khaana rolled her eyes as the girls nervousness. "I See" Beocca said casting a glance to Uhtred they read 'is she always like this?'

Uhtred laughed quietly, before giving a whistle. Khaana's attention turned to them, and she slowly made her way around the Saxon Warrior to them. She was sure to pass him with a gurgled snarl and a show of her teeth. However the Warrior only chuckled "that's a good mut" He commented.

"she is no Mutt she is Khanna" Uhtred, spat with a pointed tongue. Khaana laughed to herself, as Uhtred "you remember her?" Uhtred asked turning to Beocca. "I do, Scared me then, scares me now. Your father, god rest his soul, called her Sachiel, named after the Archangel." Beocca said, he timidly reached down to give Khaana a pat on the head. "you walk with the covering of God." He said to Uhtred.

Brida frowned "only her name is Khaana, not Sachiel." Brida said.

Beocca cleared his throat and stood upright. "Have their horses, fed and watered" Beocca called to the Saxon warriors men. He turned to Uhtred with a small smile "and I will let Alfred know that you're here with me both." He said.

"we will need their weapons, Father. the mutt will need to stay behind and tied somewhere safe." The Saxon warrior called. Khaana turned her head to look back at him, a dull glint of annoyance in her eyes. 

"Khaana will be tied no where, she goes were we go." Brida said quickly glaring at the warrior.

Uhtred took this distraction to lean over and whisper, "why not inform the king?" he asked Beocca. Beocca looked at him and offered a reassuring gaze "because the king is busy at present." Beocca said with a slight tilt of his head. "but you will like Alfred, He is an impressive men." he added.

Uhtred searched Beocca's eyes,  and gave a slight nod. "good, come." Beocca said leading the way. into the courtyard. Khaana followed behind Brida and Uhtred, listening to the heavy steps of the Saxon warrior behind them. She sat slightly off to the side while The Saxon warrior disarmed the two Danes, handing their weapons to his men he took a rope from one of the soldier's hands.

the warrior whistled "come on mutt." he called, Khaana looked up to Uhtred and then back to the warrior "not a chance, Urswine." she thought, getting up and walking to sit behind Uhtred. 

Uhtred chuckled "she will not let you rope her. She does not trust you, know you, nor like you. Farmer." he said. "and Brida has told you, she goes were we do." he added.

The warrior stood up straight and frowned "a dog can be a weapon just  like a sword if it's trained." he said to Uhtred. 

Uhtred rolled his eyes "and who said she was trained?" he questioned. The Warrior glared slightly "she obey's to well for a dog who looks so wild. it is smarter than most dogs, it watches enemy movements. therefore, it's trained." the warrior replied.

"Khaana is not trained it is her instinct.  She protects  her pack and kills  who'd harm them. that pack is us." Brida said.

"even still she must be leashed, I will not permit a vicious dog near the King or Alfred." The warrior said, coming closer with rope ready.

Khaana let out a deep guttural snarl and showed her teeth. "she will bite you." Brida warned. 

The warrior looked up at Brida and grimaced "and should she, i will have a nice new rug." he threatened. Uhtred took a step forward "you can try, and I will feed her your bones after you've failed." Uhtred said he locked eyes with the warrior "put that rope away." Uhtred warned quietly.

Beocca watched the tow and sighed in annoyance "can you two stop? If the late Lord Uhtred trusted the dog. Then I say we should trust her. I'll take personal responsibility for her actions, Leofric." said the priest. Khaana turned to look at him in shock, but slowly wagged her tail.  

the warrior, Leofric frowned. "very well father Beocca..." He grumbled taking his leave.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.2K 258 13
She had known many names throughout her life - men had the tendency to rename her. Her brothers had renamed her first, stripping her of her pa...
4K 213 14
When Signe was young, Earl Ragnar banished her father Kjartan and half-brother Sven from his land. But instead of condemning her to the same fate, he...
58 1 19
"A Guardian who's told he's the heir, the chosen one with all the answers, a world who's memories are altered and the Slaad lords that bring war." ...
21 4 6
In the wake of her Mam's death, Krystal Monarain has turned to escapism, throwing herself into the fantastic stories she was told as a child and the...