The Code of The Alpha

By MaybeManhattan

2021 NEW EDITION | COMPLETED From dodging airborne slot machines to an unplanned swim in the fountain of a... More

Author's Note
The Code of The Alpha
Chapter One - What Happens in Vegas...
Chapter Two - Catastrophe in the Casino
Chapter Three - Autonomy Died With a Choice
Chapter Four - Silence of the Wolfs
Chapter Five - Dusk 'Till Dawn
Chapter Six - In Your Eyes
Chapter Eight - Satan's Playground
Chapter Nine - Picking Fights on Pizza Night
Chapter Ten - Tea and Taekwondo
Chapter Eleven - Concrete Quarters
Chapter Twelve - Disappearing Act
Chapter Thirteen - Nothing to Wear
Chapter Fourteen - Running in the Rain
Chapter Fifteen - Bloody Knuckles and Broken Bones
Chapter Sixteen - Proximity
Chapter Seventeen - Leave it to Mom
Chapter Eighteen - Games on Ice
Chapter Nineteen - Chord and Chorus
Chapter Twenty - Shop 'Till You Drop
Chapter Twenty-One - Like Normal People Do
Chapter Twenty-Two - Carried out by the Riptide
Chapter Twenty-Three - Speed Demon
Chapter Twenty-Four - Liar, Liar Fur's on Fire
Chapter Twenty-Five - Pour Another Glass
Chapter Twenty-Six - Together in Isolation
Chapter Twenty-Seven - Belonging
Chapter Twenty-Eight - Necromancer by Night
Chapter Twenty-Nine - Overexposed
Chapter Thirty - Let the Panties Hit the Floor
Chapter Thirty-One - Tell 'Em it's a Birthday Party
Chapter Thirty-Two - Decay of Morals and Men
Chapter Thirty-Three - Broken Rules and Bad Decisions
Chapter Thirty-Four - Beautiful Mistakes
Chapter Thirty-Five - Incoming Call
Chapter Thirty-Six - Carrie from The Pack
Chapter Thirty-Seven - Picking up Scents
Chapter Thirty-Eight - An Understanding
Chapter Thirty-Nine - Under the Blue Light
Chapter Forty - Airplanes and Automobiles
Chapter Forty-One - Down by the Sea
Chapter Forty-Two - Protected
Chapter Forty-Three - When Flesh Became Fur
Chapter Forty-Four - Aggressive Negotiations
Chapter Forty-Five - Survivor's Guilt
Chapter Forty-Six - Time Heals All Wounds
Chapter Forty-Seven - Respect Your Elders

Chapter Seven - Issues

105K 4.6K 1.4K
By MaybeManhattan

I don't remember putting the rest of the groceries away.

But, somehow, when I returned to my senses, I was standing alone in the kitchen with empty grocery bags in my hands and the power had come back on.

I don't remember what else Luca had said to me before he walked away. I just remember watching his lips as they moved and recalling the way they felt pressed against mine.

Even after the several minutes it had been since he'd left the kitchen, the taste of Luca's mouth lingered on my tongue, leaving me longing for more.

I found myself reminiscing about the feeling of his hands on my face, wishing he hadn't pulled away from me.

The racing thoughts added weight behind the pull I felt towards Luca.

The imaginary rope I felt tethered to earlier that day had just become shorter and now tugged me backward, forcing me into a test of strength and self-control.

I wanted nothing more than to leap into his arms and let him kiss me for the entire rest of my existence.

I knew that it was nothing more than the initial infatuation that came with a mate bond, but I couldn't have anticipated that it would be as strong as it was; especially given the previous choices Luca had made in his personal life that hindered our ability to bond significantly.

Losing my first battle of willpower happened without me even realizing it:

I didn't argue with Luca when he insisted that I would sleep in his bed that night.

I didn't know why he insisted-although it wouldn't take a psychic to figure out-and I certainly didn't know why I willfully agreed so quickly.

Almost robotically, I grabbed my things from upstairs and moved myself down to his bedroom, settling in comfortably on his bed while he showered.

My fingers ran along the smooth, soft surface of the sheets. The cushion of the mattress beneath me cradled my body in a way that made me sleepy almost instantly.

I had even pushed my own pillow to the side in favor of sleeping on one of the many feather pillows stacked on Luca's bed.

I was enveloped in his scent.

You're not doing anything to help your self-control issue, I reminded myself.

The bathroom door opened and I sat up to see Luca emerge, adorned in nothing but black boxer briefs.

Luca's damp hair hung over his eyes, barely covering the glint of mischief that lingered there as he watched me lay eyes on his nearly naked body.

His olive-complected, muscular build was nothing short of Herculean.

An impressive set of pectoral muscles flexed across his chest as he closed the bathroom door. Even more impressive were the carved abs that stretched over his stomach and the taut Adonis belt that curved down his torso, disappearing into his boxers.

I had to force my eyes back upward, refusing to be caught gawking any further down his body.

"I don't understand," I admitted, looking him in the eyes.

His eyebrows drew together in confusion, despite the knowing smile on his lips.

"You eat nothing but Pop-Tarts and cereal."

Luca let out a short laugh.

"Fast metabolism?" he offered.

I rolled my eyes.

"You disgust me."

Luca feigned offense.

"No," he said softly, walking closer. "I don't think I disgust you."

I nodded, leaning away from his approach.

"No," Luca repeated.

He grabbed my ankle and pulled me back towards where he stood at the side of the bed, my legs on either side of his hips.

"I think I turn you on."

I scowled at his musing as he tugged at my t-shirt, my body pressing against his.

"Think again," I told him, pressing my hands against his chest.

As Luca's face drew closer to mine, I could feel his hand against my lower back, pressing my hips against his waist.

His head dipped down and his nose brushed against mine.

Before I knew what was happening, my eyes were closed and lips slightly parted as I waited for the oncoming kiss.

When it never came, my eyes fluttered open to see Luca peering back at me with a smirk plastered across his face.

Luca bit his bottom lip as he looked down at my chest where his thumbs skimmed over my nipples, the stiffened peaks evident through my t-shirt.

"Disgusted?" he asked again.

I swatted his hands away from my breasts.

"It's cold in here," I said, getting under the duvet.

"Feels pretty warm to me..."

I huffed, laying my head down on a pillow.

"Goodnight, Luca."

He hummed in response.

Luca reached over my body to grab a pillow from behind the spot where I lay.

Throwing it to the ground, he pulled a blanket off the back of the chair that sat beside the bed and laid it on the ground as well.

Luca laid down on his back, lifting and dropping his shoulders a few times to get comfortable.

As he looked over and saw me watching him, he winked.

I immediately rolled over to face the other side of the room.

"Dream of me, amore."

"Don't worry..."

My voice trailed off.

I couldn't promise him that I wouldn't.

- - -

I woke at the break of dawn the next morning feeling more rested than I'd felt in a long time.

Getting out of bed quietly so as not to wake Luca, who was still sleeping soundly on the floor, I left the bedroom and went into the kitchen to make a cup of tea.

I sat out on the back deck drinking it, watching the purple sky slowly fade to pink and then orange.

I tried not to spend those solitary, peaceful moments thinking solely of Luca.

But I failed.

He was all I could think of.

His perfect tan skin. Obsidian-black hair that curled just so. Gorgeous green eyes that almost glowed in their intensity. Supple pink lips that were always plastered in a sexy half-smile.

Not to mention a body that would have inspired Bernini himself.

And that damned pet name...

Every time the word 'amore' slipped off his tongue I felt a year added to my life.

I only snapped out of my perverse thoughts when I absentmindedly took a sip from my mug and singed my tongue on the tea that was still too hot to drink.

In truth, I had never been as intimidated by someone as I was by Luca.

Here was this physically optimal man that Fate had handed me on a platter and I couldn't stop drooling over him enough to formulate proper sentences, much less develop a meaningful relationship.

In addition to my insecurities, Luca's aggressive reputation stood between the two of us.

Although Luca swore that he would never do anything to cause me harm, I couldn't help but think of all the people who had died to get him where he was.

He was the leader of the largest pack I knew of, he wasn't used to being told 'no'.

What would happen when he heard it from me?

Once the sun had risen above the trees on the other side of the lake, I finished my tea and went back inside.

My stomach growled as I rinsed the mug out in the sink.

Turning around, I eyed the stove and decided to make myself breakfast.

After finding a frying pan, I went to the fridge to pull out the eggs and bacon. I also decided at the last minute that I would cut up a few pieces of fruit as well.

As the bacon was frying, I turned to the countertop to cut the strawberries and apples.

Soon, the kitchen was filled with the aroma of breakfast.

As I finished frying my egg, I looked up to see Luca walking out of his bedroom into the living room.

Still shirtless, he had been gracious enough to put on a pair of sweatpants.

Luca ran a hand through his messy hair and our gazes met.

I dropped my attention back down to the spatula in my hand.

I could feel him walking closer, my heart rate spiking as he did.

"Good morning, amore," he said.

I gave him a tightlipped smile, still keeping my focus on the eggs.

"What would one of those cost me?" he asked, looking over my shoulder.

I said nothing as I reached over and grabbed him an egg from the carton that sat on the countertop next to the stove.

Could you keep the drool from your mouth long enough to speak to him?! Say something! I scolded myself.

"How do you want it?"

I could think of another context that I would have liked to repeat that question.

"I'll take it however you make it."

Luca's presence behind me lingered for a moment before he walked over to the coffee maker.

I felt myself let out a breath, the first one I'd taken since laying eyes on him a few moments earlier.

I watched from my peripheral vision as Luca opened a drawer to pull out a single-use coffee pod, the muscles in his back flexing with the simple movement.

Look away, I could hear the rational voice in me pleading.

"Coffee?" he asked, turning to me and catching my stare.

"No, thank you."

I searched the cabinets and found two plates. I placed the eggs and a few pieces of bacon on each plate, telling myself that it was just a coincidence I had made enough bacon for two people.

As Luca's coffee was being poured, I grabbed a glass of water and sat down at the countertop with Luca joining me shortly after.

"Thank you," he said, pulling the plate of eggs towards him.

I nodded, taking my fork in my hand.

Except for the sound of our forks touching the ceramic plates and glasses being picked up and placed back down, we ate in silence.

Luca took a long sip from his coffee mug before leaning back in his chair, slinging an arm around my chair as he did so.

I pretended not to notice the soft tugging I felt from my head as Luca took a lock of hair and twirled it between two of his fingers.

"I've got to head over to the other side of the pack this morning to meet with someone. Want to ride along?" Luca asked, watching the hand that played with my hair.

I nodded.

"Sure."

Luca stood from his chair, taking a fistful of my hair in his hand as he did so, and gently tugged my head back and to the side.

He leaned down and kissed my neck, just below my ear.

"Thank you for breakfast," he whispered, his hot breath blowing against the skin he'd just kissed.

Luca let go of my hair and reached around me to grab both of our plates.

"I'll clean this up," he said, walking around me casually like nothing had just happened. "You can go do whatever until we leave in an hour."

With my heart still pounding in my chest, I nodded, unable to find words to speak.

I got up from my chair as quickly as I could and left the kitchen, walking towards his bedroom.

Once there, I grabbed my clothes and toiletries before locking myself in the bathroom.

I turned on the shower and stood there, staring at myself in the mirror for several minutes, trying to recover my breath.

My heart was still racing as if Luca were standing right there.

I ran a hand through my hair and let out a long, deep breath.

That self control issue I had wouldn't be resolving itself anytime soon.

- - -

Bless her heart, haha

I had the hardest time writing the chapters of the in-between stage with her getting to know Luca, despite how they met (because I would certainly not be so willing to get to know someone like that, especially under those circumstances). But they have a few 'Ah-Ha' moments coming up that will make it a bit easier for them ;)

Let me know your thoughts on the chapter in the comments and don't forget to vote!!

See you tomorrow!!

MaybeManhattan .x

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1M 42.5K 33
-COMPLETED- ~3 Years BEFORE Luna Hana~ The running never bothered her - she had run her entire life. From what? Nothing in particular...at least no...
3M 105K 46
"You were made for me. And I, for you." His breath is right beside my ear and I tightly shut my eyes closed. He leans down closer. "I was made to lo...
20.6M 675K 109
Once a forgotten Omega, now the next Luna of the Blood Moon pack-Nova must uncover the secrets of her heritage while unraveling the reason her new Al...
3.5M 125K 66
Only days after her eighteenth birthday, Charlotte finally joins her pack in attending the Winter Solstice, a gathering of the four Western packs in...