Taking One for the Team (The...

By Kendallmariie

Pregnant by a jerk and left to provide for her unborn babies with the help of her successful bakery and the h... More

Prologue
CHAPTER ONE
CHAPTER THREE
CHAPTER FOUR
CHAPTER FIVE
CHAPTER SIX
CHAPTER SEVEN
CHAPTER EIGHT
CHAPTER NINE
CHAPTER TEN
CHAPTER ELEVEN
CHAPTER TWELVE
CHAPTER THIRTEEN
CHAPTER FOURTEEN
CHAPTER FIFTEEN
CHAPTER SIXTEEN
CHAPTER SEVENTEEN
CHAPTER EIGHTEEN
CHAPTER NINETEEN
CHAPTER TWENTY

CHAPTER TWO

24.3K 831 77
By Kendallmariie

Renee

After my run in with Matthew, I ran to to the bathroom to clean my face then I headed to Coach Nixon's office for our meeting.

Knock, knock

"Come in!" His deep voice shouted.

Opening the door, I saw the dark black man sitting behind a desk with his feet up. Talking on the phone. "Dear, my 2 o' clock is here. I gotta go."

I could hear the voice on the other end shouting, "Ahhh! Is that the owner of Nonna's Kitchen! Put her on the phone!"

"Dear we have a meeting in fiv-"

"Put her on the phone!"

Coach Nixon pulled the phone away from his ear and handed it to me. "Hello." I timidly answered.

"Ahhh, hello! I'm Mrs. Nixon, what is your name, Sweetheart?"

"Um, Renee."

"Renee, are you the owner of Nonna's?"

"Yes, Mrs. Nixon."

"I love Nonna's and it's a pleasure to talk to the owner of the place!"

I blushed, "Thank you for saying that."

Mrs. Nixon scoffed. "Sweetheart, what you've created is amazing and I just wanted you to know. Expect to see me in Nonna's soon! Tell my husband I love him and enjoy your meeting, bye!"

"Um, thank you and bye." I returned. I handed Coach Nixon his phone and relayed his wife's message. Then we headed out to the conference room as he stood and locked his office door.

I walked a small distance behind Coach Nixon, preparing myself for what was to come. I'm not a public speaker. I hate public speaking, that's why up till now, I've never made a public appearance. The owner of Nonna's (Nonna is Italian for grandma) has been a mystery, the public doesn't even know I'm black.

"You nervous?" Coach Nixon asks as we approach the conference room door.

I take a deep breathe before answering, "Is it that obvious?"

He chuckled, "A little. Just breathe and know that I won't let those boys tease you or do anything to make you feel uncomfortable. Just give your presentation and tell them what they can do for you to make the process easier."

I nodded my head in understanding.

Coach Nixon opened the door and let me walk through ahead of him.

Alexander

I have the world's greatest headache. I thought repeatedly to myself.

Since I'd sat down all I've thought about is Ashley, Matthew, and the unborn baby that could be mine. My anger and frustration grew when Matthew walked in, sitting in the back with me but a few seats away.

Thankfully, the door to the room opened. I turned my chair to face the front thinking it was Coach Nixon and the elderly owner of Nonna's Kitchen. Instead of an elderly Italian woman, in walked a young, beautiful, curvy African-American woman. She was a little short, at least a foot smaller than me, she had jet-black shoulder length curly hair, and she looked extremely nervous.

"Men, this is Ms. Charles, owner of Nonna's Kitchen. She's here to tell you more about the project she has planned for the team." Coach Nixon said, pushing Ms. Charles front and center. "Before you begin, let me point out the two men sitting in the back. On the far right and the far left are the team co-captains, Alexander Donovan and Matthew Dononvan. If you have any problems and I'm not around, got to them. Now you can get started,"

Out the corner of my eye I saw Matthew stiffen and stare bug-eyed at Ms. Charles. What's his problem?

"Yes, hello, my name is Renee Charles, I prefer you call me Renee rather than Ms. Charles, I'm 24 years old and the Rookie on your team, Andre Charles, is my little brother. A little background information for you all, I am the owner of Nonna's Kitchen. I'm sure a lot of you are wondering why it's called Nonna's when I am African-American."

She paused and I looked around the room to see all the player's heads nod their confirmation.

"It's called Nonna's Kitchen because that's where I learned to cook. I moved here to Los Angeles when I turned 19. I attended college as a Business Major but my passion was always cooking and baking. I met a tough, old Italian woman that insisted I call her Nonna my first semester here and she, as well as her friends, would teach me how to cook and bake in Nonna's Kitchen whenever I had the time. I graduated from the local community college two years ago and opened my resturaunt/bakery almost immediately with Nonna's financial backing. Almost immediately, Nonna's Kitchen became a success and I was able to pay back the money she lent me with interest. And that's my story, any questions?" Renee rushed out.

I couldn't help but stare at her. She was beautiful and smart and she was very success for such a young age, not that I'm old or anything, I'm only 26 years old myself.

Renee

"What's your plan and how does it involve us?" First baseman, Roy Jefferies questioned after a long and painful silence.

"My plan. Right, my plan! Well the plan is to create a cupcake for each player that represents them and them have that cupcake for sale one week during the Baseball season. When the World Series starts the plan is to then upgrade from cupcake to cakes featuring several members. For example, your Roy Jefferies and your known for your silence but also for your fan service, you never turn down a photograph or signature for a fan. I have a few ideas on how to capture that on a cupcake. Your birthday is also April 2nd so your cupcake will be featured first. I will bring the rough draft drawings for you to review and okay at our next meeting two weeks from now." I finished.

My heart was beating out of my chest. I hope there aren't any more questions cause I really wanna get out of here. I haven't finished my research on thhe team so I had no idea Matthew would be here. Should've put two and two together when you saw him inside the stadium. They don't just let anyone in here when there's not a game. I mentally slapped myself.

"How are you gonna fit little us on a cupcake, Darlin'." Rylie Ownes, the teams catcher asked.

"I call them cupcakes but what I'm making is a little bit bigger than your average cupcake. Think something in between a cupcake and a circular birthday cake." I didn't feel intimiated talking to Rylie Owens like I did when I was talking to Roy Jefferies because Rylie can from a small town like me. At least we had that commonality.

"Sis, what are the steps that will lead to your masterpieces?" Andre asked. He already knew the answer because he's asked me before so I think his asking now was more for his teammate's benefit.

"The process is that next meeting I bring drawings what the cupcakes will look like based on the research I dig up about each of you. Also on the images will be the week in which I plan to release said cupcake. I'll need a signature on each picture confirming your all okay with what I've chosen to do. If you don't sign, I will draw and present the picture to you until you do. The meeting after that I will make one cupcake for each player so you can see the real versions. Then there will be a release party for players and their family, followed by a party for the media. After that, the cupcakes will be released as plan. For every game you win there will be a specialty cake made for a week when their isn't a cupcake to be released."

Alexander Donovan raised his hand. Alexander Donovan. I haven't finished my research on him but I wonder if there's any relation to Matthew. "You don't have to raise your hand, Mr. Donovan." I said calmly. My calm was forced because his beauty is in a league of it's own and I've refused to look in his direction since spotting him sitting in the back of the room.

"Please, call me Alex and I was just wondering who all is getting a cupcake. I don't think you 'll be able to make enough for the whole season."

"Everyone gets a cupcake. Alex." I can feel my face getting hot just from speaknig his name. "Every single player, a lot of past players, the mascot and their will be family cakes to also help fill in the weeks."

"Thanks." Alex replies and then sends a wink my way.

Be still my beating heart. I swoon.

"Alright men, if that's all, I'm gonna let Renee and you go. Rest up and be prepared for practice on Wednesday bright and early. Your all dismissed."

The room fills with chatter and the sound of moving chairs but all I can focus on is Alex and from the way he's still sitting in his chair watching me, I'd say the feeling is mutual. Your pregnant, you can't date. I remind myself. With a sigh, I break eye contact with Alex and I grab my handbag and search for my car keys when a shadow descends upon me.

"Hey, Sis, you wanna go grab lunch with me and Alex? The way you've been eating lately, I know your hungry."

"Hardy-har-har", I reply looking up. I immediately find Alex's eyes in cose proximatity to my own. "Sure. I'd love to."

"Great." Alex responds. "You can ride with me and then afterwards I'll bring you back so you can get your car."

"Thank-" I stop myself from saying thank you when there's a tap on my shoulder. I look and find Matthew glaring at me for the second time today.

"We need to talk." He grunts.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

43.9K 2K 31
" 𝖶𝗋𝗂𝗍𝗂𝗇𝗀 𝗒𝗈𝗎 𝗍𝗁𝗂𝗌 𝗅𝖾𝗍𝗍𝖾𝗋, '𝖼𝖺𝗎𝗌𝖾 𝖨 𝗄𝗇𝗈𝗐 𝖨 𝖻𝗋𝗈𝗄𝖾 𝗒𝗈𝗎𝗋 𝗁𝖾𝖺𝗋𝗍 𝖡𝗎𝗍 𝗀𝗂𝗋𝗅, 𝖨'𝗆 𝗁𝗈𝗉𝗂𝗇𝗀 𝗂𝗍 𝗀�...
5.2K 146 17
Two teenagers with a interesting love story fr🤷🏽‍♀️ + a baby later on
22.5K 1K 22
Christian Lacey is freshly dumped and trying to figure out her life and the new life she'll be growing for the next 40 weeks. She finds love with ano...
15.5K 331 17
A series of one shot stories Some have actually happened! Request can be requested! I don't own any pictures or videos!