Lion Guard: King of Life

By Fictionknight2

A year has passed since Kion was named King consort of the Tree of Life. Thus far, Kion and Rani enjoy their... More

Chapter 1: A King's Duty
Chapter 2: Suspicion
Chapter 3: Kopa's plight
Chapter 4: Beyond the Kingdom
Chapter 5: United
Chapter 7: The Northern Kingdom
Chapter 8: Clash of Kings
Chapter 9: A King's Fury
Chapter 10: Crusade
Chapter 11: King of Life

Chapter 6: Betrayal

2.1K 23 15
By Fictionknight2

It was an hour past midday in the Tree of Life and the aura was calm throughout the Kingdom.

By the edge of lake Pratimbimba, the King's Guard, Tundra Guard, and Jungle Guard rested.

Kion and Advik stood beside Anahita as she groaned a little.

"Stupid jackal, I almost had to rip his head off before he let go." The Panther moaned while her left paw was examined.

"It doesn't look too bad. But you should probably go see Makini just to be sure." Kion said.

Anahita nodded before she limped off.

Beshte rested in the lake with Bellezza beside him.

"Here I was hoping we'd seen the last of those feral poachers."

"I don't know if feral's the right word." Bellezza said.

"They seem pretty feral during the fight." Fuli said as she laid down beside Azaad.

"I've met feral animals before. They usually wild and unpredictable, most can't talk like the ones you've faced. But I've never heard of feral animals ongoing pain or survival instincts."

Bunga laid against a tree with Jelani and Nidar.

"I don't know, we've seen them, you haven't." Bellezza narrowed her eyes.

"Have you ever seen a feral animal?"

"Yeah, the ones we've been facing."

Jelani and Nidar both chuckled a little as the female hippo shook her head in annoyance.

"I can't say I've ever seen one. I assumed they were feral but if you think they aren't, what are they?" Beshte asked.

Bellezza sighed.

"I don't know. I'd really like to see one of them and figure that out."

"Trust me, you don't want to see one of them." Ajitbanh nearly squawked. The falcon shook a little from his earlier fight and had to be comforted by Anga who rested on the same branch.

Bellezza gave a disappointed expression to the various guardians.

"Aren't any of you interested in what's going on with them?"

Rune rested with his own Guard while three cubs played in front of the Prince.

"I don't care what they are, I only want to keep them out of our Kingdom and away from our children." The white lion gazed in a very protective manner at two white male cubs and a yellowish female.

Bellezza sighed until Beshte gave her a reassuring nudge.

"Next time we face them, I can try and catch one."

"Really!?"

"Be careful, you may bite off more than you can chew with these animals." Azaad growled while Fuli stared at her friend with the same expression.

Kion shook his head.

"Bellezza may have a point. The better we understand them the better we'll be able to defeat them. Even with our more efficient system, they're still our biggest threat." Kion then turned to Jade and Beskerm who both rested near the Jungle Guard.

"Kopa said they serve Radcliffe, you guys said you'd been to his Kingdom before. Were you able to learn anything else about them?"

Both shook their heads.

"If we had, we'd have told you by now." Jade almost laughed.

Kion gave a somewhat embarrassed look.

"Right."

"We didn't try and linger, that place was worse than anywhere else we've ever been. We got in, tried to kill Radcliffe and then got out. I could go my entire life without returning there." Beskerm growled.

"I agree with Bellezza and Kion." Ono said from another tree branch.

"Whoever or whatever these animals are, it doesn't seem natural. It's more than a little frightening."

"Hmp, you guys can try. I'm not losing a chunk of my body trying to hold one down." Jelani said as he held his hands behind his back.

"Guess who's back!" Mikey's piercing screech made most of the guardians cringe.

Mungo approached with his Island Guard as well as Idan, Gael, and Dakarai.

"Afternoon everyone." Mungo said.

"How'd it go near the northern border?" Ono asked.

"Fabulous! Incredible! Unbelievable!"

Taakat covered his ears and groaned.

"I thought bats slept in the day."

"Not this one!" The two Night Lions laid down beside the lake with the island Lions, jaguars and hyenas.

"It went well enough. We chased them off but I have a feeling they'll be back before long." Mungo said with a slightly disappointed tone.

"That's how it always goes, Mungo. Don't feel bad about it." Advik laughed slightly.

"I'm just glad they were regular poachers." Dakarai panted as he took a long drink from the lake before heading off.

Kion looked back over at Rune and his cubs.

With a heavy expression, Kion slowly approached the three as they tried to climb onto their father.

"Daddy, it's the King." The lioness cub purred.

Rune gave a warm smile and nodded.

"Yes, what should you do when the King comes over."

All three did their best bows and earned warm chuckle from Kion.

"That's very nice of you."

"Daddy says you protect the kingdom." One of the male cubs said.

"I don't do it alone, everyone here does. Including your dad."

"Daddy I want to be a King too!" The other male said as he tried to scratch Rune's face.

"You can't be, you're a prince though."

"Am I a princess?" The lioness cub asked.

All three were now back at Rune who gave a slightly weary look.

"I don't give Mary enough credit. She handles them more than I do."

Kion's expression turned more serious as he watched the cubs.

"....It's not easy being a father, is it." Rune carefully turned to Kion.

"Why?"

Kion tried not to look evasive.

"Nothing." Rune didn't look convinced.

"How do you manage three cubs and a principality?"

Rune smiled slightly.

"It can be difficult, I can't take too much credit. Mary's put in just as much if not more than myself. But throughout all the stress and angst that comes with it." Rune lowered his head and nuzzled each cub with a loving expression.

"Your life becomes more meaningful than you could possibly imagine."

Kion's angst didn't go away.

"What does it take, to be a good ruler and a good father?" Rune chuckled.

"Sometimes being a food ruler is a good starting place. Or maybe it was the other way around. Anyway, it's not something you have to overthink really. When the time comes, your instincts will kick in and everything will come naturally."

Kion gave a hopeful breath.

Bunga wasn't trying to eavesdrop but had managed to hear most of Kion's conversation and felt his interest peak.

Several minutes passed before Ullu rushed in with an urgent expression.

"Everyone, we have trouble at the borders!" All of their eyes shot to Ullu as she landed beside Ono.

"Alright, which part?" Kion asked.

"We have four parties coming in from the west, northeast, south, and southeast."

Kion nodded.

"Well, it's a good thing we have four Guards." Advik said as he stretched himself and got up.

"The King's Guard will take the west. Rune, you think your Guard can handle the Southeast."

"No problem." The white lion growled confidently before he turned to his cubs.

"I can watch them." Bellezza said as she emerged from the lake. Rune nodded.

"Thank you. Be good for her."

"Alright, Mungo head north. Advik go south."

"We're on it, come on!"

All four parties rushed off to face the threats with a few volunteer Guardians joining each group.

Elsewhere, Rani nearly snarled as she crashed her right paw across a sun bear's face. Rani then slammed her into the ground using her own fangs while several red pandas, tapir, and pangolin watched in relief.

"Are you calm now?" Rani growled with a fierce expression. The sun bear slowly nodded.

Binga, Mary, and Cael all held down a few water buffalo with similar tenacity. Vegter, Obasi, and Talib all had a sun bear or water buffalo submitted.

"If there's a problem between your herd and your party. Come to us, there is no infighting within our Kingdom, this is a place of healing."

The lead sun bear and water buffalo gave half-frightened and half-shameful looks.

"Yes, your majesty."

Kopa slowly came up beside Rani with a smile.

"Well handled."

Rani watched as the two animal groups went their separate ways and the other animals resumed their routine.

"I never realized there could be so many internal squabbles to handle." Cael chuckled.

"A Kingdom is much larger than a Duchy." Mary reminded the white tiger.

"I think we ought to find another trail for the water buffalo to use. What do you think?"

Kopa looked back at the paths leading towards the wetlands.

"Possibly, though we should consider who else they might end up disturbing."

Rani nodded.

"Perhaps we should forge a new path. Find land that's unused." George said. The tortoise rode on a hippo's back to keep up with the others.

"Vegter suggests moving animals who can naturally clear trail in to open up space elsewhere as well." Mary and Cael looked at the Tsavo lion with shocked expressions.

Binga and Rani laughed with Kopa's companions.

"Don't let the speech fool you, he's actually very bright." Rani whispered to Mary.

"Alright Cadoc, what's next?"

"Let's see, ahh yes, there was the gorilla matter. They claim their tree's aren't growing as much fruit."

"Again!?" Mary nearly yelped with a familiar concern.

"Don't worry, we'll figure it out. Come on, let's get over to the Jungle." Rani said.

"My Queen, if you don't mind I think I might rest for the remainder of the day. I think my injuries are close to being healed." Kopa said respectfully.

Rani nodded.

"Do what you need to Kopa." Obasi and Talib joined their Queen but Vegter also remained behind.

"Vegter need to do some hunting. Kopa like any?"

Kopa nodded.

"Yes, if you wouldn't mind."

Vegter smiled.

"Vegter always help his friend."

Rani looked back at Kopa for a moment and then shook herself.

"You alright?" Binga asked.

"Yeah, I guess I'm just a little tired like Kopa."

"Well, it is pretty hot out today. Or were you up late last night with Kion?" Binga said as she put her elbow against Rani's leg.

"Binga! Geez, you're worse than Afia." The honey badger giggled.

"I'm just messing with you." Rani sighed and shook her head.

Meanwhile, Kion and his Guard reached the western border.

"I see them!" Anga shouted as they reached the rocky pass. The eagle's eyes widened and her feather ruffled.

"Oh boy, you're not gonna like this."

Kion and the others reached the bluff overlooking the pass entrance and soon realized what Anga meant.

Approaching them was a large party of desert leopards. At their front was none other than Makucha.

"What?! Him again!?" Bunga bellowed out.

Azaad looked slightly confused as he saw the others' expressions.

"Do you know them?"

"You could say that." Fuli growled.

"Just a little bit further." The lead leopard announced until he saw the King's Guard overlooking them.

"Well well well, if it isn't Kion. Or is it King Kion now?" Makucha growled.

Kion's expression turned ferocious.

"You never learn do you."

Makucha's confident grin remained.

"I know what I want. You won't stop me this time. Attack!"

The leopards rushed towards the bluff and were met by the King's Guard. A fierce melee broke out with every one of the King's Guard occupied in the fight.

Even the bird scouts above were distracted by the various fights and didn't see another group enter the Kingdom.

Shetani gave an excited gaze as he rushed through the rocky pathway and gazed out at the vast Kingdom before him.

"The Tree of Life." The tiger's fangs bore themselves as he took it all in.

Vitani forced herself up beside him with a stern expression.

"Remember, we're here for Kopa. We get him then get out." Vitani's lionesses backed her up with similar expressions. Despite this, Shetani showed no visible fear.

"Of course. Lead on."

Vitani nodded.

"Let's try to avoid being seen and if we are, act natural. If the rumors are true about the nearby kingdoms joining, the locals might not be too suspicious of new lionesses." The six very carefully moved through the river area of the Kingdom and towards the savanna.

Despite their best efforts, a few animals spotted them but didn't think much of them.

Anahita walked through the savanna and toward a kudu.

"Excuse me, have you seen any of the Guards?"

"Hmmm, the King's Guard passed through here a few minutes ago. They were heading for the western border."

"What about the Tundra Guard?"

The kudu shook his head.

"I don't know but I did see Kopa pass by earlier. He should still be close if you want to ask him." Anahita nodded.

"Alright, thanks."

The panther continued through the brush until she saw Kopa fast asleep beneath a tree's shade.

"Ohhh great." Anahita sighed. She was about to walk away when the panther noticed someone else.

"Huh?"

Vitani's eyes widened as she saw Kopa sleeping beneath a tree.

"It's him!" Kasi nearly shouted before Vitani covered her mouth.

"Will you be quiet! We have him right where we want him. Shetani, you and I will come in from the front. Everyone else come around to cut off his avenues of escape. I-"

"Hey." All five lionesses nearly jumped out of their fur when they heard another voice.

"Yaahh!" Vitani quickly covered her own mouth before she saw a panther with a white mark on her fur.

"Sorry to frighten you. I'm Anahita from the Tundra Guard."

Vitani and her Guard went still and tried to hide their angst.

"Uhhh right, we knew that. Cause we're from here." Kasi said as the other four mentally facepalmed.

Anahita raised her eyebrow and nodded.

"Ok, have any of you happened to see the other Tundra Guard members?"

"Nope, sorry. Can't help you." Imara insisted.

Anahita could feel their angst. In the tiger, however, she saw something else. Carefully Anahita got into a more defensive stance.

"What did you say your names were again?"

Vitani looked back and forth.

"I'm uh, Zuri, these are my friends, Tiifu, uhhh Nala and-"

"Nala? As in King Kion's mother?"

Vitani nearly shook again.

"No, that's just a coincidence."

Anahita narrowed her eyes.

"What are those markings on your shoulders?" Vitani and her lionesses nervously looked down at the Lion Guard markings.

"Uhhh."

"Those look like Guard markings."

"How would you know?" Imara asked before Anahita emphasized her own.

"I wasn't aware of a fifth Guard here and volunteers aren't marked."

"...Listen it's just a coincidence or my names not uhhh, Tiifu." Vitani said nervously.

Anahita now growled.

"You said your name was Zuri."

Kopa yawned for a moment as his eyes opened slightly. However, in less than a moment they shot open at Shetani and Vitani.

"You!" Vitani nearly jumped again as she saw Kopa wake up.

"They're here to kill me!" Kopa roared as Anahita's eyes widened in horror.

Before Vitani could make her move, Anahita forced herself in front of the lioness.

"Go! Find some help, I'll hold them off!" Kopa quickly ran as fast as his injuries would allow.

"Get out of my way!" Vitani snarled she exchanged a few bites and claw strikes with Anahita before being knocked aside.

Anahita shook her head only to see the five lionesses chase after Kopa.

"No!" Anahita noticed a hornbill born stop on a tree branch nearby and roared up at him.

"You! Find the King, or the Queen, or any Guard! Tell them we have intruders inside the Kingdom!"

"Intruders! Oh no! I should warn the King or Queen, or any Guard!" Anahita's eyes narrowed with slight annoyance.

"Yes, exactly what I said."

Anahita chased after Vitani. None of them having noticed Shetani stayed behind.

The tiger began to laugh slowly. His eyes turned savage and his fangs were licked.

A nearby pair of aardvark slowly are from a termite hill.

"These ants aren't nearly as good as those in the hunting grounds." One said.

"Hmm, you want to eat there, you have to live by the circle of life. I'll take average ants here without being hunted." Without warning, Shetani's jaws snapped around the aardvark's head and violently shook him.

Before the second aardvark could even scream his face was broken by the tiger's stone-like paws.

Shetani dropped the first aardvark down and stared at his body with an excited look.

"Hey! What are you doing!?" Shetani's head shot back to a spotted hyena.

"This isn't the hunting grounds, you can't do that!"

Shetani began to laugh in a crazed manner. The hyena whimpered as he backed up and then ran for his life. But to no avail, Shetani caught the hyena and mercilessly brought him to the ground.

When the hyena was still Shetani got up and continued laughing. The tiger rushed through the savanna looking for more animals.

Dakarai shook himself dry as he came out of a watering hole with a few other wild dogs and wildebeest.

"Sure is hot today, huh." A wildebeest huffed.

Dakarai nodded.

"Hot days are a good time to rest up. I might do just-" Dakarai went silent as he felt a twitch in his senses.

The wild dog frantically looked around until he saw a set of eyes in the brush and gave a terrified expression.

"Shetani!"

Not far away, Vegter ate from the body of a kudu by the hunting ground's edge.

The Tsavo lion had eaten his fill and saw around half of the body's meat was left.

"Kopa's share." Vegter began to drag his kill through the savanna when he felt something against his back paws.

"Huh?" Vegter looked back in horror to see two dead aardvarks.

"What? This not hunting ground?" Vegter growled in anger as he looked around for signs of any bad predators. Vegter then picked up another scent, a hyena's.

"Grrrr, bad hyena!" Vegter sprinted towards the scent but his eyes widened as he saw the hyena was dead.

"Dead hyena? But who? What?" Vegter examined the body and saw large bite marks as well as claw marks. However, just like the aardvark, whoever did this left the bodies alone.

Vegter then smelt something else. He ran towards the scent and stopped when he saw it. Vegter felt his heart sink and his stomach turn to rock as he approached the body of a wild dog near a watering hole's edge.

"No, no!" Vegter's eyes filled with tears as he nudged his head against Dakarai's lifeless body.

"No, Dakarai. Don't leave Vegter and friends!" Vegter sobbed. The wild dog's eyes were closed and his face was at peace.

Vegter's sorrow soon ignited into an uncontrollable blaze.

The Tsavo lion roared and furiously looked around until he saw a few wild dogs and wildebeest hiding in the brush.

Each had pure terror in their faces as they tried to stay out of sight.

That was until Vegter scared them out of the brush.

"Who do this! Who kill Dakarai!?" Vegter snarled.

The wildebeest were too frightened to talk but one wild dog came forward.

"A, a tiger. A big white one with a scar over his left eye." Vegter's face turned more ferocious.

"Shetani! Vegter kill Shetani!"

Elsewhere in the savanna, Nirmala and Surak were fast asleep in the long grass. Vadik and Vala both slept between their parents until a lizard moved through the grass nearby.

Vala yawned when she heard rustling and quickly saw the lizard.

"Vadik." She said while nudging him awake.

The second cub opened his eyes to see the lizard as well.

"I'll bet I can catch it first!"

"You're on!" The two cubs chased the lizard out of the long grass. Both laughing in excitement as they tried to catch it before the other. However, just when they were about to catch him, the cubs heard a terrified call for help.

"Huh?" Both looked around until they saw an antelope slammed into the grass by a white tiger.

The antelope thrashed for a moment but then went still.

"What's that tiger doing?"

"Is he playing with the antelope?"

Shetani stepped off the body while still laughing maniacally. That was until he saw the two cubs.

"Hey mister, what are you doing?" The tiger's eyes lit up with renewed excitement as he licked his fangs.

The two cubs were confused as they saw his head lower and his back arch.

"Mister?"

Shetani roared and made a dead sprint for Vadik and Vala.

The cubs yelped in fright and ran back towards the long grass with everything they had. But Shetani was faster, he closed the distance between himself and the Night cubs. Closer and closer Shetani got until Vala tripped over herself and tumbled forward.

Vadik saw this and quickly went back to help his sister.

"Come on Vala!" Vadik looked up again and felt Shetani's breath as the tiger opened his jaws.

"Grauuu!" Vadik and Vala had closed their eyes but felt nothing.

When they opened them again, Vegter had appeared before them.

The mad Tsavo lion had crashed his paw across Shetani's face like a wrecking ball and nearly sent the white tiger into a tumble.

Shetani shook his head and got up to see Vegter over the cubs. An uncontrollable rage-filled Vegter's eyes as he growled at Shetani.

"You murder Vegter's friend! You murder animals Vegter protects! Now you try to murder cubs! Vegter will kill Shetani!"

Shetani laughed as he began to circle his enemy.

"I remember you, the slow Tsavo Lion."

Vegter's growl increased in intensity.

"Vegter may talk slow. But he see more than Shetani." Shetani laughed louder.

"I can fix that!" The tiger bellowed out a loud roar and charged into Vegter. The two became locked in a fierce melee that sent terror into both cubs.

"Run! Vegter will hold him off!" Vala and Vadik tried to flee but Shetani managed to beat Vegter back and now made a dead sprint for the cubs.

Shetani lunged forward and was about to snatch them when Vegter reappeared and pounced into his side.

Vadik and Vala were not too frightened to run and instead stayed just behind Vegter as he fought off Shetani.

Elsewhere, Rani and her council had returned from the Jungle.

Rani held her head for a moment with a tired look.

"I have a headache."

George chuckled.

"The science of fruit cultivation isn't simple to go over."

"At least the gorillas have their solution." Mary said more optimistically.

"My Queen!" Cadoc squawked as he returned from ahead.

Rani and the others saw the look of horror across his face.

"What's wrong?"

"It's that Vitani and her Lion Guard! They've been spotted inside the Kingdom and are after Kopa!" Rani's eyes widened before a growl escaped her jaws.

"Find the Guards!" Cael growled.

"All four are at the borders fighting off poachers! Many of the volunteer guardians are with them!"

"Wake the Night Pride. I'm going after them." Rani snarled.

"As am I!" Talib huffed.

Obasi nodded fiercely.

"Count me in." Cael said with a smile.

"And me." Mary growled.

"Me too!" Binga shouted.

"I'm not a fighter, I better make sure there isn't any damage." George said.

"Right, come on we have to hurry!"

Kopa sprinted as fast as he could through the savannah. He had desperately hoped to run into some of the Kingdom's Night lions but thus far he only found hyenas and wild dogs who were easily frightened off by Vitani's Guard.

The lead Lioness gave a driven look as she tried to reach Kopa.

She was so close but couldn't quite reach him.

While Kopa had nearly recovered, the last of his injuries only hastened his bodies fatigue. But he couldn't slow down without being caught.

"Last chance!" Vitani snarled.

Kopa didn't slow his pace.

Vitani had enough and arched her head back. Fear and anguish filled Kopa's eyes as he recognized the thunderous sound.

Vitani opened her mouth and unleashed the roar of the elders into Kopa. The lion was hurled across the ground and crashed into a brush. His body throbbed in pain while his head spun.

"She's almost as bad as-" Kopa stopped when he looked up at Vitani. The other lionesses joined her as they surrounded Kopa.

With a defiant growl, Kopa stared Vitani down.

"I'll never submit to Simba's judgment! Never! I serve a true King and Queen now!"

Vitani prepared another roar that would send him out of the Kingdom but was cut off. Rani slammed her self into Vitani's side and hurled the other lioness away.

Before the others could react, Cael sucker-punched Kasi with his left paw, Mary and Anahita slammed into Shabaha, Obasi rammed into Imara and Talib did the same to Tazama.

Vitani and her lionesses slowly got up to face their opponents.

"Rani!" Vitani yelped with a bit of fear in her eyes.

The Queen snarled intensely at Vitani and nearly breathed fire at her.

"I thought the Lion Guard acted with honor. At least they did under Kion."

Vitani snapped her jaws back.

"You're harboring a murderer! I won't fail my King. Your King's father! A greater King than has ever ruled here! I will bring Kopa back, even if I have to use the roar on you!"

"Not if you can't breathe!"

"Huh?" Vitani heard a voice she was unfamiliar with.

She looked down to see Binga in front of her with a devilish smile.

"Another honey badger?"

"That's right!" Vitani's eyes widened and her senses were overtaken by a thick cloud of foul stench.

Vitani and her lionesses coughed from the horrible smell. The lead lioness was unable to use the roar while coughing. By the time the stink had cleared, Rani emerged before Vitani and slammed her into the ground. The Queen's companions quickly joined her in the fierce melee.

Kopa would have let out a breath of relief but seeing his Queen in such a fierce battle kept him on edge.

"Are you ok?" Binga asked as she tried to help Kopa up.

Kopa growled.

"I want to help my Queen."

"Soon, you haven't recovered yet. Come on, let's get you to safety." Binga quickly guided Kopa away while the fight continued.

Elsewhere, Kion hurled Makucha across the western entrance.

The rest of his Guard similarly threw back the other poachers.

"Enough of this!" Kion arched his head back to use the roar.

Makucha saw this and quickly got up.

"Run of be carried away!" The leopard quickly retreated and the rest did the same.

Kion slowly exhaled.

"He hasn't changed much." Fuli groaned.

"So he's the idiot who kept trying to get in here?" Azaad asked.

Fuli smiled a little while nodding.

"Him and three others."

"I was kind of wondering whatever happened to him." Bunga said.

"I thought you'd be more concerned about mama Binterong." Beshte chuckled.

"Her too."

"Kion! Guys!" Ullu frantically flew in almost like they had never seen her before.

"Guys! Guys!"

"Woah, calm down Ullu. What's wrong, are there more poachers?" Ono flew beside her and tried to calm the owl down.

"It's Vitani and her Guard. They're inside the Kingdom and are trying to take Kopa!"

Kion's eyes widened and his breath was stolen.

Beskerm and Jade growled.

"Vitani, she-" Kion nearly shook, as did the others.

"It's not only that, I've heard reports of dead animals in the savanna."

"Dead animals!" Ono squawked.

Kion didn't speak another word, he simply charged into the Kingdom with the others close behind.

Nirmala and Surak were still fast asleep in the savanna when they heard a loud squawk.

"Night Pride! Night Pride!" Cadoc bellowed out.

The two were open up with Baliyo and Afia.

"Huh, what, it's still light out." Baliyo yawned.

"Please hurry, Queen Rani needs you right now! We have intruders!"

"Intruders!" Baliyo jumped up with a near frantic expression.

"Come on, we need to go!" Baliyo roared.

Afia yawned and got up with him.

"Alright, I'm up."

Nirmala and Surak slowly got up as well.

"Alright Vadik, Vala. Stay here and Kanda will-" Nirmala started until she saw both cubs were gone.

"Vadik! Vala!" The lioness frantically searched through the nearby long grass but saw nothing.

Surak quickly joined her with an equally horrified expression.

"What's going on?" Surak asked.

"Vadik and Vala are gone!" Nirmala screamed.

Baliyo's eyes widened.

"Oh my, don't worry I'll look for them from the air."

Cadoc took off again as the lioness desperately searched for their cubs. Despite hearing about Rani's need, Baliyo and Afia helped look for the cubs.

Several minutes passed and Nirmala became more fearful by the moment as she searched for her cubs.

"Vadik! Vala!" Surak roared.

"Have you seen! Our cubs!" Nirmala shook down another Night lion they passed.

"I'm sorry I-" The lioness started before Nirmala threw her aside and kept looking.

Cadoc swept over the savanna as he tried to find the cubs. Finally, the eagle saw something near a river leading out of their Kingdom.

As Cadoc looked closer he saw none other than Vegter locked in combat with a white tiger.

Cadoc squawked as he saw the cubs hiding behind Vegter.

"I found them! Over here!"

Nirmala and Surak didn't waste a moment. They raced towards the river and saw Vegter.

The Tsavo lion had taken a beating but didn't let up. Despite having Shetani's flags buried in his back, Vegter snarled and let loose his claws into Shetani's sides. The white tiger kept his fangs deep in Vegter but the Tsavo lion was now able to bide closer to Shetani's neck.

Vadik and Vala watched in awe as Vegter began to lift Shetani up with his fangs. The Tsavo managed to free himself from Shetani's bite and hurl the tiger into the river below.

The current of the river carried Shetani out of sight and Vegter began to pant.

Vegter lowered his head enough for both cubs to lick his face.

"Thank you, mister." Vala purred.

Vegter let out a tear from his right eye.

"Vegter happy he could help cubs.....Vegter couldn't help Dakarai." Both cubs nuzzled their heads against Vegter's as he teared up.

"Vadik! Vala!" Nirmala had finally reached them and quickly snatched her children up.

"Ahhh, ahhhah. Naughty, naughty cubs!" Nirmala nearly teared up as she licked her children vehemently.

Surak let out lead with his exhale when he reached them.

"Vegter, I, we, we can't thank you enough."

Vegter still looked depressed.

"Vegter glad your cubs safe."

Baliyo and Afia quickly saw Nirmala ensnaring her cubs. The two let out a sigh of relief.

"Alright, they're safe. We should find Rani." Vegter's face lifted up with feral rage.

"Vegter punish intruders!"

Vitani and Rani were both locked in a stalemate. Neither lioness could gain an edge over the other. Though Rani's earlier fatigue was catching up with her.

Vitani longed to use the roar but couldn't find an opening. That was until Rani landed a paw strike against her head and made Vitani stumble backward.

The other lionesses held their ground until reinforcements arrived. Afia and Baliyo rushed in quickly with Vegter.

The three caught, Kasi, Shabaha, and Imara off guard. Thus all three were easily knocked away while Tazama got overwhelmed with numbers.

Vitani growled in frustration but realized she now had an opening.

"I gave you a chance to hand over Kopa willingly. Now we do this the hard way!" Vitani arched her head back and then thrust it forward. Rani and the others felt their hearts race as the sky let out a thunderous roar.

However, before it could reach them. A far greater thunder struck first and scattered the clouds above Vitani.

Rani quickly looked back to see Kion and his Guard arrive.

"Kion!"

"Kion!" Vitani trembled.

The young King was livid and came up directly in front of Vitani. Bunga and the others looked no less enraged. Kopa and Binga came close enough to see what was happening.

"Vitani, you have some explaining to do."

"Intruders bring Shetani here!" Vegter roared.

"Shetani!" Jade snarled.

"Who's Shetani?" Rani asked cautiously.

Talib and Obasi huffed angrily.

"He's one of Radcliffe's lieutenants. He's cold-blooded murder who kills for sport!" Beskerm snarled.

Vitani felt her heart race as she only just realized Shetani was no longer with them.

"Vitani." Kasi stuttered.

"Shetani kill innocent animals! Shetani murder Dakarai!" Kion nearly felt his heart stop.

Kopa and all of his companions went white in the face, then still.

".....Dakarai." Kopa muttered.

Never had Rani, or Kion's friends seen the rage embroiled on his face that they saw now. His eyes nearly melted off into molten rock. So much so it almost looked like his scar turned fiery red.

The ground shook and the clouds let out a fierce gust.

"You come into my Kingdom against our decision. You try to kidnap our advisor and friend. Now you bring a murder here who killed my subjects and my friend!"

Vitani's lionesses embraced her with pure panic on their faces.

"Kion, please." Vitani begged.

"Get out!" Kion unleashed a roar that carried all five lionesses dozens of miles from the border. Far beyond what even Anga could see.

Kion tried to breathe but he had become so overwhelmed it was nearly impossible.

Rani panted heavier as well and nudged her head against Kion's.

All were quite as a pair of elephants approached. The two respectfully set down the bodies of Shetani's victims. Dakarai was set down last.

Kopa, Talib, Obasi, Jade, Beskerm, and Vegter all circled over his body with tears flowing down their eyes like a river.

Binga had to hold her eyes to try and fight back the tears but to no avail.

Bunga tried to hold her up despite his own tears and pain.

No one in the King's Guard could escape the sorrow. Not even Azaad or Fuli.

That evening, the victims were laid out before the Tree of Life where countless animals placed flowers over their bodies.

Kion stood with Rani, his Guard, and Kopa's party. Each placed a flower over Dakarai's body with pain still racking their insides.

".....He was from the western pride lands. Dakarai helped me escape capture when I assassinated the first tyrant. He was loyal and brave despite being smaller than most of his enemies.....But more than that, he was my friend. I was privileged to have you by my side. Dakarai." Kopa closed his eyes to keep the tears from overtaking him again.

Kion and Rani both felt more than sorrow. They felt determination. Radcliffe was but a shadowy figure to them. Now he had gone too far. They needed to know more about this Tyrant King. They needed to see who he was.

"So, what happens now?" Bunga asked in a serious tone.

This almost caught the others off-guard.

Kion took a deep breath.

"Ono, Anga. We need to know exactly what's going on with Radcliffe. I want you both to fly north and see what's he's up too."

Both nodded with fierce expressions.

"We can do that."

"Ullu, go with them. All of you stay close together." Rani growled.

"We'll find out what's going on." Ullu hooted.

"Be careful. Don't stay there long, don't even land." Kopa growled.

"Rest up tonight and leave in the morning."

The three went off to get some rest while Kion turned to Rani.

"Are you alright?"

Rani shook her head.

"I feel sick. Like my head is about to split open." Kion gave Rani a comforting nuzzle.

"I know what you mean. I need to clear my head for a bit."

Rani nodded.

"I'm going to sleep for the night."

"Ok, I'll try not to wake you later." Kion left with the others and Rani slowly walked inside.

Nirmala and Surak were nearby with their cubs close between them.

Both stared closely at their children with hard expressions.

"It's not an easy decision." Nirmala shook her head.

"No, we should talk it over some more. First I need to talk with Makini for a minute."

Surak nodded.

Rani laid down inside the Tree and noticed Normal approach Makini.

The mandril had painted murals of those who died on the rock wall.

Despite the fatigue, Rani found it difficult falling asleep. Her headache had returned worse than before. So much so, that Rani had to hold her head. The stress of what happened was almost too much to bear.

Or, could be something else? Another possibility floated into Rani's head and she quickly brought her upper body up.

"Nirmala, Makini." The two healers looked back at their Queen.

"I need you both to check something for me."

The stars had already risen over Pride Rock and most of its lionesses had cleared out from the main cave to avoid the verbal carnage.

"You did what!?" Simba roared so loud it nearly shook the rock itself.

Simba stood on a rock overlooking Vitani and her Guard. All five were on their stomachs with the same frightened expression a child would give when they were scolded.

Nala, Kovu, and Kiara stood at the rock's base with similar expressions as Simba.

"We were just trying to get Kopa away from Kion and Rani. If I ever thought Shetani was untrustworthy I-" Vitani pleaded until she was cut off by Kiara's snarl.

"Do you realize what you've done, Vitani. Do you understand!" Kiara lost her breath and shook.

"Easy, Kiara." Kovu started as he tried to nudge his mate. Kiara snapped at him angrily.

"I won't take it easy! Your sister and her Guard made the biggest mistake I've ever heard a Guard make! Kion probably hates us all now because of you, Vitani! I think I'm-" Kiara looked as if she was ready to pass out.

"Kiara! Calm down." Nala forcefully put her paw on Kiara's shoulder to ease her daughter.

Kiara slowed her breathed and closed her eyes.

"Let's go. You should lay down." Nala guided Kiara away while Kovu and Simba watched with sincere concern.

Kovu quickly returned to his sister with a furious expression.

"What were you thinking!? The rest of you too, none of you tried to talk Vitani out of it! Kiara doesn't need this kind of stress in her condition!"

"Kovu!" Vitani tried to reach him but he walked away after Kiara.

Simba came down from the rock and began towards the ledge overlooking his Kingdom.

"Your majesty." Vitani started.

"Get out of my sight!" All five lionesses scurried off like mice. Nearby, Zazu, Timon, and Pumbaa carefully watched Simba walk away.

"Oh my, I haven't seen him this angry for quite some time. It's almost as if Mufasa has returned."

"Maybe we should talk to him." Pumbaa suggested.

"No, I think he just needs a moment. If he's still angry in the morning maybe."

Simba reached the peak's edge and stared out at the Pride Lands with a heavy expression.

Simba thought back to one day when Kion was still a cub. It was at a time when Simba had been spending a lot of time with Kiara as he trained her to become Queen. This was before Kion formed his Guard and was beginning to feel neglected by his father.

That was until one night, Simba took Kion out under the stars. Simba's expression grew warmer as he thought back to that night. The king and his son playfully wrestling under the stars until Kion rested on Simba's head.

Both looked up at the stars together with a gentle breeze blowing around them.

"Dad, what are those lights in the sky?"

Simba smiled.

"They're our ancestors, Kion."

"They are?"

Simba nodded.

"Your grandfather, his father, and his father before him are watching down on us. Even when you're in your darkest place. Always remember that they're with you."

"So grandpa is still with you?" Simba almost teared up for a moment.

"He's always with us Kion. Just like I'll always be with you!" Simba brought his son back down and began licking his stomach. Kion laughed uncontrollably as he tried to get up.

Simba sighed as he looked up at the stars again.

A firm hand touched Simba's shoulder.

"You shouldn't be alone, Simba. Only your family will help ease this pain." Rafiki said in a comforting tone.

Simba kept his head lowered.

"After what happened, I'll be lucky if Kion even speaks to me again."

"Simba, this wasn't your fault. Vitani made a mistake but she was sincerely trying to serve you and help Kion."

"My son thinks I betrayed him and a murder is at his side giving him council."

"You sent Vitani to recover a criminal. But you didn't expect Kion to take him in. Vitani should not have confronted him." Simba slowly raised his head with a determined expression.

"You're right."

Simba returned to the rock's caves and saw Nala standing over Kiara.

"How is she?" Nala glanced back at Simba with an eased expression.

"She calmed down enough to fall asleep." Simba saw Kiara resting beside Kovu.

"Sending Vitani was a mistake."

Nala nudged her head against Simba's.

"How could we have known Kion would find Kopa? Let alone protect him."

Simba's determined expression returned.

"I won't make that mistake again. We're going to save our son and our other daughter from Kopa." Nala's expression soon mirrored Simba's and she nodded.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.3K 100 5
Kion and Rani have defeated the darkness in the north and restored peace to the Tree of Life. Yet as they try to keep their family safe, a strange bu...
6.9K 157 20
Kion and Rani are now King and Queen of the Tree Of Life. For a few days, everything was great, but then, mysterious animals showed up. At the beginn...
3.5K 18 10
Kion and Rani are finally King and Queen of the Tree of Life and they hope for a great future. But then a visitor comes to the Tree of Life and she s...
22.4K 114 25
Simba and Nala live at the Tree Of Life, and had Kiara and Kion. Sahasi and Ananda are king and queen. They had Rani and Baliyo. The Pridelands doesn...