Cliff's Story

By MorganShaw

A 15-year-old boy, Cliff, has suffered many losses. His dad died when he was five, his mom got lost at sea tw... More

Cliff's Story

4 0 0
By MorganShaw

Cliff's Story

You know this whole thing is new to me and I don't really know what to write. Oh, by the way my name is Cliff. How ironic right, my name is Cliff and I am afraid of heights. Well I know it is a common fear of people, but how I got my fear is way different than how most people get it. I know most people just get it because it is scary to go up high, or because you might fall. My fear has nothing to do with falling or stuff like that. Trust me I know, I lived through it. I don't really like to talk about it. Ever.
Let me tell you what is going on in my life now. Well not much but only that I don't remember how to get home. I don't know what happened I just, got lost. I was with my friends at the best place in town, Taco Party House. They have an arcade place like at McDonald's with ball pits and stuff. Now imagine the McDonald's like that only 100 times better. Yup, it's that fun, you don't have to pay to play in the "play area" but you do for arcade games. We always go me and my friends, Kenny, Dave, Jackie, and Greg.
They are awesome. Jackie can juggle almost anything you give her. Kenny can swallow up to 15 knifes on fire! Dave and Greg well they are not very talented but they are identical twins but I know who is who by their laugh. I have no talents so I stay in normal school with Dave.
Oh yeah, did I mention that Jackie, Greg, and Kenny are in those smarty-pants schools. Greg goes to Antom Athletic Academy. While Kenny and Jackie go to this school training to be in the Circus or any act like that, it's call CTA (Circus Talent Academy). They still have subjects like math, science and social studies, but most of their time is working on their special talents. I think that school is a cool place to go to, or that's what I hear from Kenny and Jackie.
Oh right I'm lost, well not much to do here and I only see a barber shop. I guess I could go and ask to see where I am and call my best friends brother Clyde. He is like my brother, I grew up with him as my male model and well grew fond of him. Also ever since my dad died when I was five and Clyde loved me, so he helped my mom. Then Clyde turned 22 and my mom got lost at sea, two years ago, he has taken care of me. Only because he was already taking care of me one year before my mom got lost.
We have been through a lot together. We both saw someone being stabbed to death, almost died on an airplane,(not why I have my fear) and worst of all we know where my mom is. Yes, it doesn't seem that bad, but it is. I want her and she is held captive and if we go get her or tell someone else the man will kill us and all our family.
Again I went a little off track and I am still lost. So I go to the barber shop and ask where I am.
"You are, well in a prison area in San Francisco."
"What, where, how did I get here... woah."
"What's wrong kid, where are you from?"
"I live in Montana."
"Well then how in the hell did you get here?"
"I don't really have an answer to that, sir."
"Let me call the police, so they can look in to this."
"Can I call my guardian to pick me up somewhere?"
"No, Sorry we will have to let the authorities take care of that, son."
Then the man, named Leon, called the cops and they asked me a lot of questions. I got to call Clyde and tell him where I was and that the police are going to escort me to his apartment and will be home in a few days. Clyde told me to stay calm and just answer the questions truthfully. It was a long ride back to Montana, but when I arrived there was a party with Clyde hosting it. Jackie, Dave, Greg, and Kenny were there with other relatives of mine.
"Oh my gosh look at how much you have grown, since I saw you, umm... well in court."
"Not to be rude, but who are you?"
"I'm your sister, Cliff don't you remember me?"
"No, what's your name...um, sis."
"Danni."
"Oh, I'm sorry I still don't remember you, Danni."
"You will, Cliff it just takes time, I know you've been through a lot, but I know you will remember."
"I'm sorry I don't remember having a sister, because my -er our dad died when I was five and after that my mom had a breakdown and didn't talk to me for like a year. While she wasn't really talking my best friends brother Clyde stepped in and took care of me. Then she got lost at sea two years ago, so I don't recall having a sister, I'm so sorry, Danni."
"No it's fine it's just-"
"What you never had anyone who really knew you or cared about you?"
"How, how did you know Cliff, you have a gift if you can tell just like that."
"No I don't have a gift, I'm just normal! And I never will have a sister!"
"I'm sorry for bothering you, I know you do have one gift. You know how to make a girl cry. I'm sorry Cliff I will just go and never have a brother who cares about me!" Danni left weeping and hoping for me to say something, I don't know how I do it I just know, like I've known her forever.
"Who was that Cliff?" asked Jackie.
"My sister, Danni."
"Wait. You have a sister?"
"Yeah, apparently and make that a mad sister."
"So, that's what that was. You should talk to her and make up."
"I know, but now is not the time because she wanted me to say something as she was leaving, so she is mad now and I should let her cool down."
"How did you know she wanted you to say something?"
"I don't know, I just knew."
"That's new, Cliff. Like good new because you have a talent. You should tell Clyde about it maybe get into a school that has to do with that."
"What school has to do with my talent?"
"I don't' know look it up."
"But I don't want to leave Dave."
"He'll be fine, he's tough."

So I went and told Clyde about my "special talent."
"Wow cool is there a school for that?" asked Clyde.
"I don't know maybe you could look, for me."
"Yeah sure, I'll get back to you on that." Great now I might be going into a smarty-pants school and leave my best friend Dave at normal school take that and add on a mad sister I don't remember having . Life is great.

"Cliff!"
"Uhh. What?"
"You're late for school."
"So, it's not a big deal."
"Yes it is. It's for UTA, the unique talents academy."
"Really, why didn't you lead with that?!" We rushed out the door to UTA.
"Why do I have to go here? I know I have a gift, but I like to go to school with Dave."
"Just try it for Danni-"
I cut him off,"Oh so this is why I am going because of her?"
"Don't raise your voice at me, Cliff. She wanted this for you because of your gift. Now get out and have a nice day."
"Whatever I won't like it."
"Just," he pinches the bridge of his nose,"just get out before I start yelling at you more."
"Fine I will, though I will sneak out, because I won't like it!"
"I said get out!!"
"Fine, whatever." I hopped out and turned towards the car.
"I'm sorry, Cliff I just want you to be happy here."
"Well I'm not sorry, and I won't like it here."
I turned towards the school and started walking while Clyde was getting out of the car.
"What did you say to me?" He pauses. "You know what?"
"What?" I ask not facing him.
"You are not going to this school, you are going to see Danni today." I keep walking towards the doors ignoring him.
"Stop right there Cliff." I am still walking, not slowing down, but speeding up.
"Stop Cliff, now!"
"Why? So I can go and see my sister I never knew I had? Great." I don't stop.
"Cliff!"
"What?" I Stop and turn towards him.
"I like Danni."
"Well I don't and she probably doesn't like me either."
"No not like that, but like-like."
"Oh. So you want me to skip school so you can see my sister and try to date her?"
"Um...I guess so."
I turn back towards the school and start walking. Clyde rushes up to catch me.
"Please, Cliff?"
I stop. "Even though I really don't know her and didn't know she existed. No I don't want you to date my sister."
"What? Why?"
"She's my sister, duh." I keep walking and ignore whatever Clyde says. I walk through the doors, leaving Clyde outside.
"Who are you?"
"What? Oh I'm Cliff. Who are you?"
"Oh, I'm Parker."
"Nice to meet you. What's your talent?"
"Oh. Umm...I gotta go bye. See you around Cliff." He gives me a goofy smile. He is a popular kid, I can tell.
"Olleh, woh era uoy?"
"What?"
"Hello how are you? I can speak backwards fluently. What can uoy od?"
"I don't... um know right now."
"You seen distracted, you faltered, what is it?"
"Oh nothing, see you around, umm... dude."
"My name is A..." I couldn't hear his whole name because Clyde was talking to the principal.
"Here he is now."
"Hey why are you here Clyde shouldn't you be at home?"
"Yes, but because of how you ignore me I wanted to get you out of school because you are feeling bad thats why you treated me like that, right?"
"No, I'm fine and let me stay so you can't get to my sister."
"What does he mean,'get my sister.'?" Asked Mr. Montopellars.
"I mean let me stay or else Clyde will try to date my sister."
"What? Clyde is this true. You want to take this young boy out of school, deprive him of education and try to date his sister."
"Umm... Kind of. Yeah. I guess. It's true."
"I ask you to leave now Clyde and let this boy go about his day, please."
"Okay fine, pick you up after school Cliff." So Clyde left me alone and went home. I wandered down to the office with Mr. Montopellars.
"So you're name is Cliff? Correct?"
"Yes Cliff McClure."
"Okay Mr. McClure, Who was that Clyde?"
"He is my legal guardian Clyde McConnor."
"He wanted to take you from school today to see your sister and try to date her, correct?"
"Yes sir." I then told him the whole mom and dad issues and about how I just found out I had a sister.
"Okay, that is a lot for me just to hear, but you have to deal with that. Wow, Cliff, just if you need to talk I'm here, the counsulors, and all of the teachers, okay?"
"Yeah, thanks for the offer and I just..." I sit down and don't say another word and just silently cry. I didn't want to cry, but talking about it and stuff I just couldn't hold it in anymore. I've had to my whole life and I just got pushed too far and I just let it all out.
"Cliff why don't you go into the counselor's office." The tears kept coming and I was breathing pretty hard to not cry loud.
"Okay." I managed to get out. Mr. Montapellars lead me to the office and I sat in the nearest chair.
"He needs time to... um just let it out, Okay Mrs. Bush."
"Okay, thanks," said the counsulor, Mrs. Bush, "Cliff you don't have to talk if you don't want to okay? Just let it out and you can stay as long as you want, but not all day unless needed."
"Okay." I said like a whisper. I just kept thinking about all of the bad times and I just didn't know what to think anymore. I was a total wreck. I'm glad Mr.Montpellars lead me here because I didn't want anyone to see me like this.
"Cliff how are you doing?" asked Mrs. Bush.
"Okay I guess. I just don't want to be here."
"Well were do you want to go?"
"Nowhere."
"What? I'm confused."
"I mean I don't want to be here I want to like be, I guess in a way, I want to be dead."
"Cliff no. You do not want to die."
"How do you know that you're not me."
"Because God let you live and made you survive because he knew you were strong enough to live."
"Whatever, thanks for the help. Bye."
"Cliff you don't have to die."
"Good bye. Okay. I'm leaving. Now."
I left and went to my class. Which I had no idea where to go, so I went to the office. They gave me my schedule and said that is was 4th period already.
I walk into the science classroom and give the teacher, Mr. Hall, a note and he told me where to sit. I don't know what they are talking about, but I love science I always flourish in this class and I ace everything in this class. I only know that they are talking about the periodic table. I know everything about the periodic table and it's one of my favorite lessons.
"Okay, Cliff when grouped together it is easier to predict the what of an element."
"Umm... properties."
"Correct, good job Cliff." I smile a little and just look down at my book.
"Psst. Psst. Cliff." I turn and see Parker trying to get my attention.
"What?"
"I need to talk to you after class, ok?"
"Sure whatever."
"Parker, Cliff no talking."
"Sorry." We murmur. We continue class and I got down notes, but I can't focus. I have a million questions going through my mind. Why does he want to talk to me? I mean me why? Why am I so special? What is he going to say? Will he want to be friends?
"Cliff?"
"Huh, what?"
"The bell rang come on. You dozed off."
"Oh, sorry Mr. Hall. Where's Parker?"
"He's waiting outside for you. Now go on."
"Thanks, I'm just having an off day."
"I know."
I guess with all the questions going through my mind I dozed off. I must've started imagining the scenarios and fell asleep.
"Hey what's up."
"What are you doing after school?"
"Are you serious?"
"Yeah, Why?"
"Because we just met and I don't know you."
"But if I come over we can get to know each other. Plus I get bored at home so I'll give you my number and..." he pauses and gives me his number, "I can hang with you right?"
"Sure, but my friends are coming over today, because two of them already live with me."
"Okay that's cool. Hey what lunch do you have?"
"5th, you?"
"Same you can sit with me, come on."
We walk to the cafeteria and I see so many people.
"So did you bring a lunch?"
"No I left it in my car and I don't have money for lunch."
"No that's cool I packed and I'll buy you a lunch."
"Thanks Parker." I sit down and I don't know anyone.
"What's your name?"
"Cliff, and yours?"
"Tanner. This is Jacob, Teddy, Josh, Cole, and of course you know Parker."
I kind of sit there awkwardly. I don't know what to say. It feels like an eternity until Parker comes back.
"Here. Well looks like you've met and yeah."
"Yes we have my dearest Parker boy." says Jacob.
"What?" I ask.
"Jacob is always like that. We all just go with it and Josh usually translate if we don't understand." Cole said.
"Weird."
"Yeah, totally. Hey, we're just like that." Teddy said.
"Alright, whatever."
We finish eating lunch and head to class. I have math with Parker, Cole and Josh.
"Hey sit next to me Cliff." said Parker.
I freeze. I don't think I could move. All I saw was Danni walk into the doors with dried tears on her face.
"Cliff, hey. Move or something."
I couldn't take my eyes off of her. I couldn't move. I couldn't hear anyone.
"Cliff are you alright?" Danni asked.
"Umm." I managed to barely get out.
"Cliff you need to snap out of it and look at me. You need to calm down and come with me. Okay?"
"Umm." I am so shocked I can't move or say anything.
"Come on, it's Clyde."
I snap back and push her out the door. I don't ask I only follow.
"What... happened?"
She says nothing. I know it's bad. We get into the car and start driving.
"Why are we going this way. Home is the other way."
"He wanted to... well, I don't know what he was doing, but he went this way and he, he- Cliff!"
A bus came and rammed into the side of the car. It was all a blur. I could only see blood, and debris. I tried to touch Danni's hand, but I couldn't move.
"Cliff? Cliff say something I need you."
I can't talk, I can't see, and I can't move. I'm dead, maybe. That's what it feels like.
"Oh my god. 9-1-1, hurry! He's not moving or responding, hurry!" Danni shouts into the phone.
It all goes black. I'm in nothing. I am nothing. I feel like I am floating with the clouds.
I hear shouts and beeps. I'm in the hospital. I can hear everything, but I still can't move, see or speak.
"Is he going to be ok?"
"Don't know yet ma'am. Please stay here we will update you, alright? Just stay calm."
"Ok. I love you Cliff." She starts crying.
"I love you too." I thought, but couldn't say. Tears run down my eyes.
"He's still alive, he has tears running down his eyes."
It's been what? Hours. Days. Months. I don't know, but I am just stirring in my coma. I am in darkness. I see light. In the light I see my dad.
"Hey Cliff, umm... how's school?"
"I don't care. I love you dad." I go to him and we hug and cry for a long time. He decides to be the one to break the silence.
"I love you too."
"Dad? Am I... dead?"
"No. You are still very much alive, but this is the turning point for spirits."
"Then why are you here you died ten years ago."
"Yes, true, but my spirit lies here."
"Why?"
"Because I wanted to stay here. For you and you mom." I cough. Tears come to my eyes, but I blink them away.
"Mom?"
"Yes, she comes and goes here."
"How?"
"Just like you. Sorry to tell you this, but she may die soon... she is dying. She told me. That's why I see her a lot."
"So... Mom!"
"Cliff, Henry." I run over to hug her, but I wake up.
"Cliff oh my gosh you're-"
"Why? I was so close!" I am crying now.
"What!? What are you talking about, you're alive."
"Yeah so what? I was-I saw my- just..." I stammer, "I saw my dad. Then I was just about to hug my mom. Then you came along and woke me up!"
"You saw mom and dad. Oh."
"Yeah. Sorry for yelling-- I just miss them-- sorry."
"No, I... it's fine. I just-- Im glad your okay."
"Yeah, me too." We hug and I tell her what happened with mom and dad.
"So, what happened to Clyde?"
"OH MY GOSH! I forgot about him. He... um-"
"Mrs. McClure, we need you now."
"Can you please give me a minute."
"No now. Er please."
"I'll tell you when I get back," she kisses my forehead and walks out of the room with the doctor.
I try to sleep again, but I need, no I have to know what happened to Clyde.
"How do you feel, 1-10?" asked the nurse.
"6."
"Oh boy. Where?"
I pointed to my head, my ribs and my left leg.
"Okay, I'll tell the doctor. Here take these pain meds."
"Thank you...um."
"Judith. Most of my patients call me Judy."
"You sound like you don't like when people call you Judy."
"Not really, but, hey, what are you going to do."
"Yeah I guess. Thanks though, Judith."
"Thanks, Clifford. Feels good to hear my real name again-"
"What did you say?"
"Clifford."
"Oh, that's my dad's name I'm named Cliff, after him."
"Oh sorry, Cliff."
"No it's fine."
Judith left the room leaving me all alone in a boring white room. I fell asleep after a while. I could only dream of my memories with my parents. I woke up a few hours later by Danni.
"Clyde? What, how? Is he okay?" I asked almost shouting
"He -well how are you?"
"Fine. Clyde?"
"The doctor just told me-"
"Damn it." I kept cursing.
"Cliff, no. Stop, mom didn't raise you like that."
"No Clyde raised me. Not mom. She never paid any attention to me. I remember you. We were both in a foster home. You were the little girl who followed me, watched me, but never talked. I remember when dad was in the hospital for what three years? We were in there, so we wouldn't be sad when he died.
"Mom couldn't afford us with dad in the hospital, so she gave us up, temporarily, until she got over it."
"She did and only took you, I was already adopted."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

43.4K 2.1K 147
This story follows the early life of James also known by his street name Headshot or Shooter. James had an extremely rough childhood, one that turned...
250K 6.6K 52
what happened when the biggest mafia in the world hid his real identity and married an innocent, sweet girl?
185K 7.1K 50
- Sequel to Only on camera - In which, They both question if they will ever find their way back to each other
122K 9.5K 11
Her şey bana gelen mektupla başlamıştı. Ufacık bir not kağıdında yazan şeyler büyük olaylara ve hayatımın değişmesine yol açmıştı. Ben kendimden emin...