Promises Unkept

By starfallhorizon

The 'marriage' was against his will. The woman was beyond his liking. So, when Lord Stephan Adelwood was marr... More

A man of words.
The girl he hated.
Matrimony
Man and Wife.
Forever..... for sometime.
Beginning Anew.
A lamplit dream.
Infesting his sanity.
Dry Apple leaf
Masterpiece
Whom to love?
A bottomless bottomful feeling.
Fire and Fireflies
Dews are falling.
The unloved
It begins.
Blessed and Damned
Secret of rumors.
Great Expeditions
Dead and Wounded.
Rain in Hertfordshire
Ambivalence
The night of Great Mistakes.
Stephen and Eden
A man in love.
Fantasy and Foreknowledge
Dark Horses and Deep Kisses
Season of miseries
Borders and Encumbrances
Earth to Earth
Death did them Part.
Fleeting Profundity
A letter and a bond
Midnight kisses.
Cost of Loving.
The Ringing Quiet
The Great Mistake
One Lost Breath
@ttention
Promises All Kept
Epilogue
Andreas Edwin I : Milieu
Andrea Edwin II : Grief
SEQUEL
SPIN-OFF

Champagne and promises.

15.7K 884 162
By starfallhorizon

The lasts of the etiquette lecture by Mrs. Hopkins was almost over.

“And….” Mrs. Hopkins ran her eyes once, over at everyone, maids and the footmen. “You have the rest of your day off as per the orders of Master Adelwood.”

Episodes of hoots and howls erupted in the kitchen hall with relieved sighs and exaggerated, happy groans. Maggie was waltzing with Carol, Bella was jumping and Eden was cheering. The rest of the girls applauded happily and men boasted and brawled.

A day off meant so much, even if it was at late afternoon.

“But…” Again, Mrs. Hopkins interjected, silencing everyone. “None of you are supposed to go out or anywhere away. Be accessible. There is something very important to be announced this evening, by his Lordship himself.”

They all nodded obediently. Curiously.

“Is it something of merry kind, madam? This announcement?” One footman posed.

“That is none of our business to know.” The unsmiling housekeeper answered. “But by the ways of Master’s mood, yes, it is to be something worth celebrating.”

Another session of lively cheers and happy shouts filled the room, and though Mrs. Hopkins sniffed and frowned in disapproval, she didn’t try to clamp down the noise. She simply walked away from the good spirited crowd mumbling, "I just lectured them on etiquette and see what they do...."

“Oh, Eden!” Maggie shrieked grasping Eden’s hand and swirling her around. “Can you believe this? No work at all and a celebration awaiting!!!”

“I say, I cannot.” Carol nudged in between them both. “With so much tension we have had here since morning, I had no hope for merriment at the end of the day.”

“Yes!!” It was Bella to net in this time. “Lady Ivy has not stopped crying since morning. Mr. Edwin’s remand has left her depressed and snubbed. Mr. Edwin himself has not stepped out of his room.”

“I understand his resentment, you know.” Maggie argued passionately, her blond curls bouncing as she spoke. “Lady Ivy is that one monkey he doesn’t want on his back. She has been tagging after him for three years as far as I know. He had already made it quite clear that he has not even the subtlest inclination towards her but she won’t stop agitating him with her drooling presence like a wanto...

Eden pinched Maggie on her palm.

“Ouch!”

“Mind your language.” Eden rebuked.

“I am really glad Eden.” Carol poked her. “I am really glad that he took your side this morning. It was so charming of him.”

“He was only defending his own pride and the memories his wife.” Eden shook her head. “We should remember that he has just lost his wife.”

“Nonetheless, he talks to you a lot.” Maggie pointed out. “And he laughed with you today.”

“Yes!! He did.” Bella squeaked eagerly. “That was a sound so rare and so beautiful. I haven’t heard him laughing like that in all my days. You should know better, Eden.”

Eden knew where the conversation was heading. “That signifies noth…”

“Girls..!”  Mrs. Hopkins suddenly barked from the kitchen, silencing them. “If gossip is all you have got to do, get out of the hall. I cannot help but listen to you and I am having temptations to join in.”

They all laughed a common laugh and left the room...merrily.

Outside, they huddled together once more. The contents of gossip were not quite exploited yet.

“And did I tell you about that?” Bella began in most clandestine low voice and suspense perked all ears.

“No, you didn’t.” Maggie whispered, curiously. Eden and Carol moved closer in pre-emption.

“Today…”

“mm-hmm.”

“In the late morning…”

“Yes. Yes?”

“I was changing the towels on the second floor when heavy footsteps suddenly filled in the corridor…”

Maggie, Eden and Carol nodded together in great focus.

“It was the loud pounding arrogance of the approaching noise that made me step aside and stand still by the wall of the corridor. I was practically scared. And then, the voice came closer and closer until it passed by me. And can you believe me who it was??”

“Who was it?” the three questioned together, mesmerized by the tell-tale.

“Lord Stephen Adelwood.”

Truly? Eden scrunched her face in disinterest. That’s not a big trouble. I have always seen him like that.

“Yes Eden.” Bella remarked pitifully. “I was as shocked as you are.”

“You were?”

“Of course.” Bella nodded. “But that was not the only touch of surprise. I dared to take a look at him as he passed me and I noticed how disheveled he was. He was not wearing his coat; it was clutched up in his hand. He was walking in his waistcoat. His hair was all blown back for he had, like, just returned from somewhere. And the most shocking affair was….”

Maggie sucked in an overly deep breath of anticipation.

“…his hand. His hand was bleeding profusely. The back of his palm was all caked with blood. I was so freaked out. A gentleman like him returns home fuming, with his hand bleeding! What does that mean?”

“Something very serious.” Carol mumbled.

“He stormed straight into his study and slammed the door shut with such great force, so much that I heard the frame behind me rattle. And some moment later, I saw his steward rush into his room, poor man. I had never seen Lord Adelwood so much out of his elements.”

“But…” Oh, and Maggie had her doubts ready, already. “But Mrs. Hopkins said that he was in a good mood. And that there was something joyous to be announced tonight.”

“I know not.” Bella shrugged. “But what I saw was too real to be untrue. You all can look for his wounded hand, if you do not believe.”

True or not, either way, this evening was going to be memorable one.

***

After half an hour of failed sleeping effort, Eden at last opened her eyes and stared at the bright grey bedside wall that was staring back at her. The room was too luminous, thanks to the huge, hopelessly large window at the other wall and  since it was only late afternoon, the vibrancy of outside gave her no hope for any rest within.

Besides, there was this Maggie, rampaging the whole room. She couldn’t find her blue sash.

“Maggie…”Eden groaned at the loud slamming of cupboard behind.

“I thought you were asleep.” Maggie paused from her search and commented.

“With you in the same room? Really?” Eden rolled over, and was blinded by light of the window.

“I cannot find my sash.” Maggie complained pulling down a bundle of white nightgowns off the shelving.

“Why do you need your sash?” Eden grumbled, shielding her eyes and glancing down at Maggie.

“What do you mean why?” Maggie kicked the cupboard shut. “There is a revelry tonight. The champagne has been put out. I cannot just sit.”

“Are there guests coming?”

“No. Just those who are already here and us of course.”

Eden sat up and instantly wished she had not.

“Maggie!” She cried. “What have you done to our poor room?”

“I cannot find my_”

“_sash! I know alright.” She pulled herself out of the bed and her feet landed on a mess of discarded and tossed over clothes. They were everywhere. “Do you think you can ever find it out in this muddle?”

“I don’t know. I am wearing my white chiffon gown and I need that blue sash anyhow.”

“I will help you.” Eden mumbled, grabbing the nearest pile of clothes and sorting them out from their tangled plight. She folded them neatly and arranged them in order on the bed.

.

.

By the time they had arranged all the clothes in pile and the sash had been procured from within the petticoats of one of Maggie’s day dress, the sun was down, leaving a whimsical shade of dark blue tainting the sky.

“Here, Maggie.” Eden yawned, pushing at the tower of piled up garments. “Your work now is to arrange them on the shelves.”

“Hmm.” Maggie folded her hand across her chest. “And what are you willing to wear tonight?”.

“You see to it.” Eden shrugged, her eyelid felt heavy. “Your wisdom in dressing is more impressive than mine.”

“Alright then.” Maggie nodded. “I am heading to Mrs. Hopkins to get my sash ironed. I will come back and arrange something for you.”

“Shut the door, when you leave.” Eden yawned again and pulled up the covers to her chest.

The sleep that followed was undisturbed.

***

The deep emerald green cotton dress sat richly against the pale skin of Eden’s neck and chest.

It was hardly a dress for such a fancy gathering_ but considering who and what Eden was, this plain, jade dress did look fine on her.

Maggie on the other hand, with her though simple_ sophisticated ivory dress looked endearing. Had she not been a girl of low birth, she would have made a great debutant for her season.

Maggie hooked her elbow with Eden’s as they both entered the grandly lit hall, for the first time not to serve others but to be served themselves.

It was an honor.

“Didn’t I tell you that Lord Adelwood is very kind?”  Maggie nudged Eden.

“You did.” Eden whispered. “But we are still not sure why we are here.”

“Oh, boy!” Maggie rolled her eyes. “That we are here_ is enough. That he deemed us worthy to share his delights_ is enough.”

“Or perhaps you are just too smitten onto his dashing green eyes.”

A sly grin tugged at Maggie’s lips. “So you do believe that he has a dashing pair of green eyes.”

Eden did not dignify that with an answer. Instead, she spotted Mrs. Hopkins at the end of the almost empty hall and paced up to her, dragging Maggie along.

“Mrs. Hopkins.”

The old lady looked up and_ she actually smiled. “Girls.”

“You got any hint for the mystery of this assemblance.” Eden inquired.

“Not so far.”

“Oh.”

At her side, Maggie appeared to be quite on leash. Desperately craning her neck she was, as if to find someone with her eyes.

Eden didn’t try to disturb her hunt. Slowly, she slipped her arms out of Maggie’s hold and the girl didn’t even notice.

She was truly distracted.

Eden took the chance and walked across the ballroom to the nearest window. She peeked out. The sky was not black but grey.

It would rain, in a day or two.

Or perhaps tonight.

When she turned around to face the hall back, she found it a bit more full than before. She tried to look for Maggie. She spotted her chatting with Carol. She walked back to her.

When Maggie saw her coming, she narrowed her silver eyes and huffed, folding her hand across her front. “You left me alone, Eden?”

“You were looking for someone, I thought.” Eden answered with a pinched voice, trying not to grin. “Besides, I was just there to check the sky. It appears that it would rain.”

Just then, the door on the other side opened and Lord Adelwood’s guests and his cohorts started to enter the room.

All the maids and footmen moved on the other side of room, huddled together as the guests crowded the other side.

Eden’s eyes got a glimpse of Mr. Edwin too but he appeared quite absorbed in a passionate conversation with one other gentleman.

And then suddenly, silence caped over the room. All eyes turned to the central entrance, from where approaching footsteps echoed.

The guests particularly were smiling. Even Mr. Andreas Edwin had a beautiful smile on.

His Lordship’s butler stepped into the hall and proclaimed his entry.

And then, a brief moment later_ He entered.

Lord Stephen Richard Adelwood, in all his lordly glary and charm. All in black, except that crisp white shirt. All simple except that white rose pinned at his chest.

All smiles, except those two beautiful dimples that incurred his cheeks and made him look more juvenile.

But that was not what Eden saw. What Eden saw, was that delicate hand clasping his elbow. What Eden was that closeness with which that feminine figure in silver ball gown clung to him.

She saw nothing of Lord Adelwood but who she saw was Lady Christiana Ivy.

Bile rose in her throat and a swarming dread filled her chest. Her eyes stung of heat.

Anger.

Passion.

Love.

Hate.

It had changed, she realized. Emotions had changed after he had kissed her in his study. Her sentiments had changed. And unbelievable it may be, but it was he who had kissed her in his arms and not the other way around. He who had evoked into her the furnace, that was blazing in right now, as Eden watched some other woman in his arm.

It was madness. To feel for him, anything beyond fear, was madness.

She knew.

Yet she sinned. She felt.

Tears.

And like a wave upon the wave, a second terror filled her.  What did it mean? Their coming here together like this? What did it signify, their both looking unearthly beautiful at the same night?

What did it mean; this announcement and this celebration?

Eden gazed up to find that the couple, as they might be called, had glided across the ballroom to the centre and were now facing the gathering.

Meanwhile, a flute was handed to her with some golden liquid in it. Full of bubbles. Liquid sadness.

Champagne.

“Ladies and gentlemen….” Lord Adelwood began, word smoothly leaving his mouth and the stillness of the room became a bit more quiet.

“….Tonight, I aspire not your unwavering attention on my mere words but your unshakable approval over this verdict of a journey, I am to begin….”

Eden felt weak at her knees. Her heart started to become heavier and more so with every next word he spilled.

“…Not letting moments slip by, I would like to give out this one little secret of mine to you all, my family, friends and servers…”

He slipped his hand in hers.

“….It gives me great delight to declare that I, Stephen Richard Adelwood, am willing to take my childhood companion, Christiana Ivy down into an engagement as a promise to love and cherish...”

And he couldn’t even wait till the annullment. The kiss was not real? His eyes were a pair of pretty little liars?

“…and a premonition to a shared future ahead of us.”

Waves of hoots and cheers and shouted out blessings erupted from the gathering the moment he ended. Red roses were showered onto were Lord Stephen and Lady Ivy stood. Everyone was applauding. Everyone appeared so happy. Even Maggie, who was nearly jumping as she clapped. Eden smiled because she had to.

Lady Ivy was beaming. Lord Adelwood was watching her beam.

Eden was watching him watch her beam.

Was that love floating in his emerald eyes as he watched her?

Was that admiration, that the dimples of his smile beheld?

Was that longing, the way he firmly held her hand?

Two flutes were brought about and handed to his lordship and his lady.

With a shining smile, Lord Adelwood raised his champagne upward. Lady Ivy did the same.

Everyone did the same.

“To whom shall it be?” His Lordship offered at the crowd.

“To the coming wedding.” Someone suggested from among the guests.

“Oh, but we would like something more grand.” Someone else from the crowd protested.

For a moment Lord Adelwood looked pondering, then he pulled his flute higher. “To the promises of the Future.”

Everyone cheered with him. A wave of smile ran into the crowd.

Eden raised her glass too, but to a different resolution . “To the past with unkept promises.”

Eden brought the glass to her lips and sipped one deep sip.
The acrid taste of expensive fluid settled into her throat, all the way down to her abdomen.

And perhaps in it's way, it had managed to slip down into her heart as well.

A burning evolved where ever the spirit had touched her. Inside and out. Tongue and lips.

Heat sprang on her porcelain cheeks.

Across the room, her eyes suddenly met with those dark ones of Mr Edwin. He was watching her since long for the way his eyes were narrowed.

She raised her glass slightly to him, in a salute.

He smiled as he regarded her from the rim of his glass, his eyes darkened.

Eden grinned and sipped another sip fixing him with her eyes. Her gaze flew to the nearest balcony and then back into the blue eyes of Mr. Edwin.

He got the message she wanted to relay.
Smiling, Eden excused herself from Maggie and left.
_______________

Our girl is not the same anymore!!!!!

OKAY....
HERE IS THIS ONE QUESTION,

WHAT WOULD YOU / WHAT DID YOU DO WITH YOUR VERY FIRST STIPEND/EARN???

And do let me know about the chapter.....

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

289K 7.2K 59
COMPLETED Clare Dixon thought she couldn't trust anybody but her parents and her best friend Lisa until the day she was forced to marry that good-l...
15.2K 887 47
That moment when you are being stood up by your lover on your special day. When you are standing at the altar feigning smile at the one you ought not...
485K 14.6K 29
Aaron Riverwood was the definition of the sign "Don't mess with me." Men kept a safe distance from him but it was very difficult for women as he was...
9.9K 392 60
"I'm the most eligible bachelor of America I'm a billionaire and you're rejecting me" "YES" "Tell me what you want I'll give you anything" " Anything...