The Warrior's Gambit (Zutara)

By FrostedGemstones

Months ago, Katara arrived at the Royal Palace to save her tribe and to win the heart of the famed Prince Zuk... More

i
I
II
III
IV
V
VI
VII
VIII
IX
X
XI
XII
XIII
XIV
XV
XVI
XVII
XVIII
XIX
XX
XXI
XXIII
XXIV
XXV
XXVI
XXVII
XXVIII
XXVIX
XXX
XXXI
XXXII
XXXIII
XXXIV
XXXV
XXXVI
XXXVII
XXXVIII
XXXIX
XXXX
XLI
XLII
XLIII
XLIV
XLV

XXII

5.5K 212 312
By FrostedGemstones

How are people still holding up? Me? Oh, well, I'm not crazy yet... at least, I don't think so...

--

Zuko arrived back at the palace with a headache the size of the Northern Water Tribe. The ride home had been silent, to say the least. Toph was given so many fluffy things to rest upon that the other girls nearly hadn't been able to fit into the carriage. Zuko noticed Toph wasn't setting the record straight, annoying little imp.

The girls were in a pissy mood. Sokka was in a pissy mood. He was beyond a pissy mood; he was ready to bite the head off of the next person who asked him about the Fire Nation's next little pride and joy.

He hadn't heard anything else from Aang either, and that was frustrating.

The girls scurried inside the doors of the palace, sending hateful looks toward Toph. He was pretty sure he heard one girl mutter something in a mean tone, but he actually couldn't tell who it was between the three, so he let it go.

"You," he said, pointing a finger at Toph, "My office. Now."

"Sure we should be meeting alone?" Toph teased.

"You are this close to getting cut," Zuko growled, and it seemed that for the first time the severity of the situation dawned upon her. She gulped.

"I was just...I didn't..." She began to bluster. "Look, man, you gotta-"

"You're lucky I'm even looking at you right now. Yes, you were instrumental in our issue last night, but spirits above, Toph," he snarled, "You're nothing more than a child sometimes!"

"Hey!" Sokka said, trying to step between them. He was glaring at Zuko, as though he was the bad guy!

"I can handle this myself," Toph said, wrenching out of Sokka's light touch. "Say that again, I dare ya."

"You have no care about anyone but yourself. No sense of the wellbeing of the rest of us. You do whatever the hell you please and leave me to pick up the pieces! Give me one good reason you should be allowed to stay by my side. Give me three good reasons to convince my mother or father of that once this whole mess is sorted out!" Zuko thundered, fists clenched, and steaming.

"I can't go back there! You saw my parents!" Toph threw out her hands. "Sorry if I thought quick on my feet. It worked, didn't it? Shut Nadhari's trap up."

"At the expense of a huge deal! Toph, you just...you..."

"Look, maybe we shouldn't be doing this out here," Sokka said, forcibly shoving himself between the pair. Zuko retreated, realizing he was still on the steps of the palace. Though the guards would not talk, he knew that they were one slip away from saying something truly incriminating.

"Lady Bei Fong," Zuko said, summoning a tone, not unlike the one his father used. "My office. Now."

Toph had the good sense to vanish in front of him.

Jee was waiting just inside the doors.

"An eventful trip?"

"Like you don't already know," Zuko groaned. "Why is it whenever I return, things seem awful?"

"I cannot say, sir." Jee blinked. "My Lord...it's not..."

"No. It was something that got away from the truth. Far from it." Zuko was short to cut him off.

"Right. I just..." Jee coughed. "A missive came for you. Well, quite a few...as you can imagine."

"Oh? And what's special about this one?" Zuko questioned.

"It was one of the few not asking for your head. I cannot for the life of me figure out the contents, so I figured you might want to read it," Jee said, handing him the letter. "It came via a Swift Hawk, so I was surprised it seemed like...such an insignificant letter."

Zuko thumbed under the cracked seal, reading the contents.

Hi Zuko,

I just wanted to write and thank you again for your generous donation of fifty-two air-fans for the Society for Women And Men Performers. Although the shipment came later than expected, it arrived alright this morning, not a single one damaged!

I will assume more will be coming via the same delivery service.

Your help has been monumental,

Dai

"Hmm, I have not a single idea." Zuko said, shrugging, "Perhaps it was something one of the Ladies was doing in a village and put in my name? Nothing to concern myself about, though, I'd imagine."

"I'm sure, sure," Jee said. "I just found it odd."

"Hardly worth getting excited about," Zuko said. "I assume my parents wish to see me?" he asked with a wince.

Jee flinched. "Yes, sir," he said.

"Fan-fire-tastic."

As Zuko turned away, he flipped the post-card. Postmarked from Omashu, but closer to the other end of the village. Smart girl. Despite what he told Jee, he could not stop a smile from rising within him.

One less issue to concern himself with. A million more to go.

XXxxXX

Zuko pushed open the door to see Ru waiting for him. The young journalist was sitting, picking absently at the threads on the lounge chair, his scroll, dip pen, and ink set out waiting for Zuko.

"Agni, we need to meet outside of this. Remind me of that. Sit down and talk without this desk...this competition between us," Zuko said, startling the younger man. Ru turned, a crooked grin on his face.

"No, mate, this is perfect. You keep me in business," he teased. "The Prince's Choice has been my most profitable year yet!"

Zuko sighed deeply, trying to ease his nerves. He was glad Ru was able to come on such short notice. He'd gotten read the riot act from both of his parents, but nothing was as awful as the disappointed look in Uncle Iroh's eyes. Somehow, that cut the deepest.

Luckily, being able to go and yell at Toph was pretty therapeutic. He'd feel worse about it if he didn't know that Toph would be able to throw it back in his face like she often did. She was choosing to stay silent, very smart of her, and allowed him to get his frustration out. If she'd really been bothered by it, she would have been up in his face, snarling back. Toph being afraid to say exactly what she felt was not an issue of hers.

He'd managed to save Toph's place here, but damn, it was by the skin of his teeth. They both agreed to chalk this up to a major misunderstanding that grew out of control before either knew what was being gossiped about. This wasn't untrue, but he did not believe for a second Toph did not carefully engineer that whole fiasco.

Toph even got off without a stern talking to from his father, which was a miracle. Though, his father's gaze of fury had been worse as he'd said, "Well, I suppose we'll just have to see how she fares in the competition."

Great, now she had a target on her back. She should have known that no one makes a fool out of a Royal.

Sometimes, he swore she didn't think before she acted. In moments like this, her youth compared to others was dreadfully obvious.

There was a very large part of him that wanted to send her home right now. To show that consequences happened, that actions had actions that happen back upon them. He hated how he'd been used as a pawn in her own game, one he was not privy to, and something they hadn't agreed upon. More than anything, he hated that dumbfounded feeling he'd felt as she'd so easily lied and carved out this fantasy.

It reminded him of all the things his father and sister were, and those were the things he swore never to be. As ingenious as it might have been to sell the fakeness of their love, at what cost?

At what cost...that was a phrase that was uttered far too little by those in charge. It was one he now kept in his mind most firmly.

But no, Toph would remain...for now. He didn't think he could keep her very much longer, so hopefully, things figured themselves out quickly. One way or another.

"Glad I could be so of help," Zuko said, but his anger faded. Ru was not who he was angry at. Still, Zuko stalked over to the cabinets and pulled out a deeply-aged bottle of whiskey and poured two small glasses. He downed his immediately before turning.

"Want some?"

"I'm technically on the job," Ru said, looking torn. "Maybe after...but..."

"Mhh, right," Zuko said and drank Ru's portion too. Then, he poured a third glass to sip on.

He felt better with some drinks in his system. Agni knew that he'd need it to get through this day. "So..." Zuko said, sitting across from his friend, "You know?"

Ru gave an uneasy laugh. "Who doesn't?"

Zuko groaned. "Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. It was just a comment...taken completely out of context! And then, what, I was supposed to awkwardly say no right after her father was congratulating us and everyone was making a fuss?" Zuko asked, noticing that Ru was writing things down. "I mean, I guess, yes, but it seemed like the wrong time. I was still reeling from this new information I was going to be a father."

"Uh-huh," Ru said, scratching his cheek as he scribbled, an ink-smudge appearing on his skin. "You say it was...taken out of context? How?"

"I mean, Toph - err, Lady Bei Fong, was just saying it to shut Nadhari up. Spirits, I was a little glad. She's so fucking annoying." Zuko realized what he'd just said and how the drinks were making his tongue loose and winced. "Uhm, can you not-"

"Yeah, that was off the record," Ru snorted. "I'm here as a friend to help you. I wouldn't put something like that in the official write up," he said. "Honestly? I can see it. She seems..." He thought for a second. "Needy. Extreme. Fake. She's not my favorite contestant."

"No kidding. She's still here because....another time, as friends," Zuko rubbed his temples, "Toph only patted her stomach. She had indigestion. Everything just went sideways from there," Zuko said, making a turning motion with his hands, as though he needed to use a diagram. "Right. And now it's all just blown up in our faces." Zuko gave a rough laugh. "You know what the really ironic thing is? I've never even had sex. Yeah, I know, me...the Crown Prince. Agni."

"Wait," Ru's fingers paused. "You've never-"

"I know, I know," Zuko felt a blush rise to his cheeks. He hadn't meant to let that slip. "I could probably have any girl, but sue me! I want it to mean something and I just haven't...you probably think I'm crazy." He sat back, thinking about how incredibly messed up everything was in his life right now.

"No," Ru said with an excited tone, "That's fantastic!" He paused as Zuko shot him a half-furious look. "I mean, that sucks, but on the bright side...I think we've hit our angle!"

"Of...the article?"

"Well, there can't be any discussion or questions about cover-ups if you've never had sex to begin with."

Zuko threw back the rest of the whiskey and slammed the glass on the table. "So let me get this right," he said, pointing at Ru, "You want me to announce to the entire world that I've never been laid?"

"Yes, basically."

"Oh, absolutely not."

"Hey, we won't make it sound as bad as it seems." Ru's eyes were twinkling like it did as he crafted a masterful article, something that spun words and truths into something nearly like art. "We'll remind people about how virtuous you are, about how humble and pious of a Prince you are. We'll use all the good things and really push the whole 'waiting for the right girl' thing. People will dig that. It won't be so much of a 'look at this poor schmuck of a prince who's never seen boobs' but rather 'this oh-so-respectful heir to the throne is waiting for his heiress'."

"If you're sure..." Zuko said uneasily.

"Completely. This should fix most of your issues, Zuko," Ru said, and then chuckled. "Every time I think I've written my best piece yet, you swoop in and make things challenging again. You keep me on my toes!"

Zuko huffed. "For once, I'd prefer to keep all our feet firmly on solid ground. I doubt that will happen, though."

"You can't say you don't live an exciting life."

XXxxXX

The news that Toph was apparently not pregnant spread just as quick as the rumor that she was. Katara heard it from her replacement handmaid, who was assigned to her at least until Aiga felt up to the task of working again. Perhaps there was some goodness in distance, especially after the tense moment when she'd accused Katara.

Katara did not hold it against her. People did crazy things when told horrible news. Katara hopping a boat to the Fire Nation was just one of a million other examples, so she couldn't hold it against her.

Katara was nearly finished with her dress. She'd been glad of something to distract her fingers while her mind whirled about the news. She couldn't say she was surprised at the quick reversal, but some small part of her had been sure it wasn't fake.

The other big news that dropped? An article that denied the pregnancy, explained the situation, and almost proudly announced that Zuko was a virgin. Which was something Katara knew, but it was like tinder to a flame of hot gossip for the other girls.

As Katara passed the ladies' hall, all she heard was the girls talking about how they could easily fix that issue for the Prince, if he so wanted.

"He's not a piece of meat and he'll sleep with who he wants to when he wants to," Katara said before she knew what she was doing. Some part of her cared for him, deeply and painfully, and she was not about to let the ladies giggle and gossip about him like this! It was frankly insulting.

"What if it's not you?" Nadhari asked, crossing her arms.

"Then fine," Katara grit out. "But it's objectifying to be talking about him like this."

"Oh, like he doesn't do it behind closed doors about us!"

"I'm unsure," Yue broke in, a frown creasing. "He does seem respectful, abundantly so. Not all boys are...like Hahn," she said, which was the aptest comparison.

Whatever Katara was going to argue was cut off by a shriek. Katara turned to see Toph coming down the hallway, her expression wild as Avizeh grasped her into the room.

"Oh my god! I don't know if I should be furious or impressed that you created the best gossip of the century!"

"Thanks?"

"You're not pregnant, are you?" Katara asked, and she couldn't help it. Even if that's what Zuko said here. Even if she doubted it. Even if a thousand things, she had to ask. Plus, if Toph wanted to stay, she could very easily find a way to get pregnant and attempt to pass it off as Zuko's...

Toph opened her jaw, staring at Katara incredulously.

"Really?" she said, as though understanding Katara differently.

"It's a fair question! Answer it," Mai snapped coldly.

"Well," Toph said, crossing her arms, "Naw, I don't think I am." She shrugged, as though casually discussing if she were joining the girls for dinner.

"You don't think so?" Nadhari circled her like a shark. "You know it's against the rules to be having a dalliance outside of the Prince. And if he's saying he's never lain with you-"

"That's why I said I don't think so. Short of spiritual intervention," Toph said, pulling an innocent face.

Someone harrumphed from the back corner.

"So it's a lot of drama for nothing." Saoirse threw her hands up. "Great. You..." She broke off, unable to articulate. Katara could feel the frustration ebbing from everyone it seemed. Katara had previously been one of the least liked girls, but it seemed now Toph had that position.

"Look, I don't appreciate the third degree here," Toph growled. "It was a comment that went way out of hand and look, I've already heard it from everyone. I'm going to go to bed. If that's okay," she asked, glaring at Avizeh, who still had her in a tight grip. As though realizing for the first time, Aveziah let her go like Toph had burned her.

The room was silent as Toph stalked off.

Katara was tempted to follow her, but she had nothing more to say to her right now.

"I don't know what she thought she'd gain..." Besu sounded incredulous. She was one of Toph's closer friends, besides Katara, but she seemed similarly thrown by this entire situation.

"She's fucked herself over, that's for sure," Ratana said, as though it was obvious. At a few blank glances, she shrugged. "I mean, okay, some people believe that she's pure and it's all a big misunderstanding. It's going to be hard to trust her again. Still, there will be some that don't believe the Prince or Toph and think she's been used. As stupid as it is, that matters to some." She bit her lip. "I'm pretty sure her after-marriage prospects have gone from here," she placed one hand over her head, "to down here," she dropped it below her navel. "She has to win the Prince's heart for any good match at this point, or come right damn close."

Katara was gripped suddenly by a fury she was not expecting.

Toph was a mastermind, something Katara was only realizing now.

All the other girls were looking at this drop in suitors as the worst outcome, which was totally a valid point as most of them wanted that 'after.' Katara was not going to call a girl stupid for wishing for this, but she wouldn't be surprised if this was part of Toph's master scheme – that she would be labeled as an issue as give her parents a hard time lining up a husband after this.

Katara understood her frantic desire to never return home, nor to be under the thumb of a stuffy lord or general who would treat her like a china doll. She sympathized with Toph's plight and felt it was so unfair. She knew her parents were overbearing, to say the least. She got all of that.

But to use the Prince like this? It left a bitter taste in Katara's mouth. She did not like how Toph used him for her own gain, disregarding his feelings or any other person in the equation. It felt as dirty as Nadhari's shameless flirting.

But are you not doing the same thing? a voice inside of her head whispered You came to use him too. For food, for protection, for your tribe.

"That's different." Katara narrowed her eyes, mumbling to herself as she slipped away from the room. "That's for others, not for myself."

But isn't it?

The question lapped at her mind and she found it hard to shake.

XXxxXX

As Katara dragged her suitcase down the hall to leave for the last trip before the ball and tournament, she found Toph waiting in the luggage room.

"You're not on this trip," Katara said shortly.

"No, but I needed to talk to you," Toph said, blinking at Katara as she entered. "I...I feel like..." She pressed her lip, frustrated. "Did you honestly think I slept with Zuko?" she asked, sounding frustrated and a bit offended.

"Well, I..." Katara wished she could have said that she never believed it for a second, but her words failed her.

Toph sucked in her breath, her expression hardening. "I wouldn't. Not with how you feel about him-"

"I don't even know how I feel about him!" Katara snapped back. "Look, I just..." She wondered how she could explain everything she was feeling all at once, but found it impossible, so she never finished.

"Sugar Queen," Toph said, sounding worn-down, "You're one of my best friends, and I don't give that title out lightly. I wouldn't ever, never, hurt you like that." It was one of the rare moments Toph was truly sincere in every word she said. "Actually, can I-" Before she could say anything more, the other three girls that would be coming to Jang Hui - Ratana, Jin, and Avizeh - carried their bags into the room. As far as travel partners went, Katara was happy with the group.

"We need to talk before the tournament when you get back," Toph said cryptically, starting to slide out of the room. As she did, Zuko swept past her.

"Lady Bei Fong, stay a moment," he said, his tone even, but Katara watched his eyes burn. She noticed he also moved out of his way to stand at least six feet away, as though the mere closeness of their bodies would incite another rumor.

"Ladies, I have just been informed that you will be traveling alone for most of the trip," Zuko said, frowning apologetically.

"But why?" Avizeh pouted.

"My father wishes me to hand-deliver some ball invitations to some important allies of his, and time is something we do not have much of. You will spend the first two days and nights there yourselves, with plenty to do, and I will join in on the last night. The trip is also being extended a night so I do have a chance to spend time there. If you need to grab any more clothes, a maid will run and fetch them now," Zuko said, standing back to reveal four maids patiently waiting. Avizeh threw open her luggage, calling to her handmaid, and trying to decide what to bring in addition. Ratana conveyed a short instruction to hers. Jin shrugged, deciding she was fine, as did Katara.

As the girls repacked their bags, Katara saw Zuko turn to Toph.

"Lady Bei Fong, while I am gone, best behavior," he said in a low tone.

"I got you Spark-err, Prince Zuko," Toph said, correcting herself at the last moment. Zuko pinched the bridge of his nose.

"I am serious. You cough on the wrong portrait, someone will know and it will be reported back to my father and myself. In light of this, you'll have your handmaid follow you. Everywhere."

Toph's respectful expression dropped.

"You're giving me a handler again?" she hissed, "Awe, c'mon, don't be like that!"

Zuko shrugged in a 'you did this to yourself' sort of manner. "Take it or leave it."

Toph seemed to pull herself together, biting her tongue. "Of course, my Prince," she said, sarcasm heavy on her voice.

"I like the words, but drop the attitude," Zuko hissed. "You're really not doing yourself any favors."

"Oh, don't worry," Toph muttered as he swung around and left. "I seem to be perfectly capable of fucking things up myself..."

XXxxXX

The girls in the carriage deferred immediately to Ratana for information on their location, since she was a native from the small town that most had never heard of. Katara recalled a few things she'd discussed, such as the legend of the Painted Lady, but not everyone had been present.

"It's really cool," Ratana said, her eyes bright. "It's a structure of a village built entirely on the water. The houses all float."

"So, how do you get around?" Jin asked.

"Well, on boats. I've been sailing since I was three," she said with a small giggle, and despite being a Fire Nationer, Katara thought once again that she and Ratana were not so different. "It used to be really beautiful."

"Used to?"

Ratana's expression darkened. "Fifteen years ago, the Fire Nation army set up a weapons factory, and it's been destroying everything ever since." She swallowed hard. "When I was ten, my parents sent me to live with my Aunt and Uncle in a different town. I think they were worried I would not survive. Many are starved and dirty and hungry. I'm lucky...my parents are nobles there. The only reason they refuse to leave is that my family has lived there as far as anyone can recall." Ratana smiled out the window, but it was a sad smile. "Perhaps we'll do some good when we arrive there. That's why we're being sent, aren't we?"

"I hope so," Jin said sincerely, placing a hand over Ratana's. "That sounds awful."

"I've made it this far in the competition, so my village is getting food, but that doesn't fix everything."

The girls took up most of their time by playing group games between them. They were all relatively friendly and nice, and it was much easier to play with all four than only three or two. They also discussed the upcoming fights, since it seemed difficult to imagine much else.

Avizeh had already accepted defeat, Katara knew.

Jin said she'd try, but it was clear she wasn't sure she'd prevail.

Ratana was a bit more hopeful. "I may not be the best fighter, but I've been fighting for what I want or what I deserve my whole life. This will be no different."

Katara eventually just read a book of poetry as the carriage rumbled on. It hardly felt awkward for there to be silence, everyone doing their own thing. Jin looked out the window and tilted her head, frowning.

"I thought you said that the town is on a river," she said.

"It is."

"Well, was there a drought? All I see is a dusty road." Katara tilted her head out her window to see a wide, barren road at the bottom of the ridge they were on. But no, was it...moving?

Ratana nearly upended the carriage, throwing herself to the windows to see. When she pulled back, her expression was pinched.

"That is the river."

Her words chilled Katara's body, as well as the other two girls'. In a flash, everyone understood.

Ratana switched places with Jin. "Down there...there's my village," she said, her voice breaking as she motioned to a tiny collection of what looked like sticks in the middle of the brown river.

"We're not going down there," Katara said.

"Well, there's probably not any good lodging there," Ratana spat furiously. "I'm sure that we're staying up near the factory. There's a place for families to reside in when they visit. I'm sure that's it."

Indeed it was. It was hardly an hour later that they were pulling up to what looked like a posh resort, so markedly different than the town below them, even from what Katara could see. If someone only saw a drawing of this building, they'd never guess it was next to a factory or a river that was more dirt than water.

"Welcome, welcome, ladies!" a man said, "I am sorry to hear the Prince will not be joining us for a few days, but I can assure you that you will be well cared for. I am Jhon, and I will be your host!" he said. "Oh, someone can take your bags to your rooms for you," he added as Katara tried to grasp hers.

"Oh, are we going right down to the town?" Jin asked, tilting her head. She was already tying up her hair, ready to work. Everyone was. No one in this group was cold-hearted and it was clear the town was in need. Even Avizeh, who perhaps had an issue keeping things to herself, was not a malicious person at heart.

Jhon laughed until he read the faces of the four. "Why in Agni's name would you go down there?" he asked.

"I just...I thought we..." Jin said, frowning, looking back at Ratana helplessly, "Aren't we doing service in the town?"

"No!" Jhon seemed horrified. "That's hardly where your services are needed. You'll be spending the time boosting the moral of the factory workers! Many of them come and serve our Fire Lord diligently and rarely get time to go home. I'm sure that many will be very pleased to see such lovely faces and enjoy your presence," Jhon said, completely serious. "You'll also be helping make some tokens that the Fire Lord is giving out at the ball this weekend, a remembrance of the Choice."

"So...we're not going into town at all?" Avizeh asked, breathless and confused.

"You don't have to worry about that, my dear," Jhon replied, as though lifting a great weight from their shoulders.

Jin and Avizeh exchanged worried looks but started to follow Jhon. Katara clenched her fists, looking back at Ratana. She was glued in place, her cheeks red with fury and embarrassment and tears gathering in her eyes.

Zuko was not here to help. Katara knew she had little agency as a woman, and just one of four here at that, but she could not stay silent.

"Lady Ratana is from here," Katara said, intercepting Jhon, crossing her arms. "Surely it would be cruel to not allow her to go down and visit her flesh and blood?"

"We can bring them up here-"

"Sir, just as your factory men no doubt long for their houses, I'm sure Ratana does too. She has not been home since she was ten. Are you truly going to refuse?"

Jhon hesitated.

Katara smiled widely at the remaining girls. "I am positive that the factory men will be just as enchanted with my fellow ladies here. We will be up later tonight, fear not. It just seems unnecessarily strict to not allow Lady Ratana this."

"Well...you..."

"We will be back before sun-down, of course," Katara said with a gracious smile, turning around and grasping Ratana's arm before he could stop them. "Ta!"

Once they were on the path down to town, and Ratana had found a boat to take them in, she burst into tears.

"How could Zuko be so mean to not allow us to help?"

"Zuko is kind," Katara said, and she knew this without question. "I doubt it was his choice," she said, patting her back. "As soon as he arrives, I am positive that we can persuade him that we've spent two days with the factory workers."

"Okay, okay," Ratana said, wiping her eyes. "Oh, I don't want to look like a mess to see my family again."

"You look beautiful," Katara said earnestly.

As soon as they reached the town, Katara saw that she had been entirely misguided with how badly gone the town was. She'd thought it to be on the level of her tribe before they'd left, however, it was worse in a totally different way.

Most people only had the strength to lift their heads as Katara passed through with Ratana. She saw so many sick, so many starving that it tore her heart to pieces. The entire town stunk, and most had a cough that would not leave.

"It's worse than my parents let on," Ratana inhaled hard, her shoulders slumped and her whole expression utterly defeated.

Ratana's home was by far the most well-groomed, though not by much. There were only tattered curtains in place of shutters, while most houses had none, and the door was partially broken. There was an attempt for furniture, though it was dusty and unrepaired. It had once been beautiful, Katara was sure, but age and sickness had taken its toll.

"Mom? Dad?" Ratana asked, turning around. She waited for three beats. "They're not here."

Ratana made a beeline for the kitchen. Katara followed, feeling as though she was walking over ghostly remains.

"My mom is a medicine woman, she's probably helping," Ratana muttered to herself. "And my father is just a good person."

Ratana opened the cabinets and icebox. The items looking back were few and far between, nothing worthy of a full meal. Most of it was rotten too. Katara coughed at the stench as Ratana furiously threw them out.

"Come, we're going to get them some more food," Ratana said.

Katara followed her through the town a weird daze, just so overwhelmed by the poverty and lack of fight of the entire village. Even at her tribe's worst, they'd always had hope and pride and the love of their people. This town looked on the verge of sinking away altogether, metaphorically and literally. As Katara walked over the planks, she could feel them hiss under her weight, sinking a bit more into the muddy river.

At the town center was a little rickety hut.

"We used to sell many fish," Ratana explained. "I doubt there have been good catches of late." She paused a few feet away. "Err, so, there's a man we're about to meet. His real name is Dock. He's friendly and harmless, but also a bit unstable."

"Unstable?"

"Mentally," Ratana said. "He's so nice, so don't fear. However, his two brothers - Xu and Bushi - died not long after the river was polluted. He didn't fare much better. He survived his illness, but it's messed some things up. He believes himself to be three different people. In a sense, he's taken on his brothers' spirits. So right now, we'll meet Xu, the store owner. Dock works on the docks and Bushi works in sanitation. He switches between the three."

"And you let him?"

"Why break his heart?" Ratana asked softly.

She left Katara, flabbergasted, and walked up to the counter. She tapped twice and an older man popped up.

"Lady Ratana, do my eyes deceive me? Oh, you look exactly like your mother!" he said, leaning over-enthusiastically to hug her. "Me and my brothers haven't seen you since you were, oh, this tall!" he said, holding out a hand below the counter.

"Xu, how are your brothers?" Ratana asked kindly, kissing his cheek.

"You can ask them yourself!" Xu said. Katara watched him pop below the counter's view and come back up with a different hat on.

"It's been tough on the river without many people needin' rides, but I'm doing okay. It's sure good to see you, Ratana. You know, Bushi would love to see you," Xu, err, Dock, said.

"Can you grab him?" Ratana said.

"Of course!"

Xu reappeared with another hat on. For a bit, Katara watched Ratana interact with the 'three brothers,' never letting it slip that she did not believe them differently. Katara wondered if this truly was the kind thing to do?

Finally, Ratana looked at the sky, scowling. "Can you fetch Xu again? I'd like to buy some food."

"Course!" Bushi said though Katara at this point was a bit confused about who was who.

"This is what we have today," Xu said, dropping a crate of odious smelling fish on the table, most that were double-headed or similarly disfigured. All were oozing with gray sludge. That could not be healthy.

"Isn't there anything else?" Ratana asked, horrified. "What about the food shipment? I know that one just arrived here two days ago. Or do you all distribute that freely?"

"Err, that..." Xu rubbed his neck. "That goes up to the factory."

The color drained from Ratana's face. "What?" She seemed almost ready to fall over. Katara took a step next to her, just in case she fainted. "But that's for the town!"

"They argued that the factory is part of the town," Xu said. He swallowed. "They give us some money for it. Since no one is making anything, we can't really say no...need it to get medicine from the next town over."

"But...that's...it's..." Ratana seemed like her brain had stopped working. "No!"

"Have you sold all of it yet?" Katara asked, "To the factory?"

"Someone's meant to come down tonight to get the rest of it." Xu rubbed his neck. "I'm not sure that-"

"Whatever they're paying you," Katara growled, reaching inside of her pockets. "I will make it more worth your while."

All girls were given a stipend to spend and Katara was not about to worry about using it now. There was nothing more worthwhile she'd want to spend it on. Then, she took off her rings and necklace, all baubles from the Palace, and dropped it soundly on the counter.

Xu hesitated, but could not resist, and pulled out a few crates of vegetables, rice, meat, and soups. It was meager but more than nothing. Katara was sure she had overpaid, but she was not going to care about that. If this is what it took...this is what it took.

"The factory might be a bit mad..." Xu said, still uneasy. "They don't have good food either."

"Then they shouldn't be poisoning their one food source," Katara spat.

Ratana sectioned off a small portion, holding it to her chest as though she were afraid it would slip into the water, before pushing the crate back to the shopkeeper. "Can you and your brothers give the rest of this to those that need it?" she whispered.

"We'll do what we can."

Ratana led Katara to the town center. There, in the middle, was a statue of the Painted Lady, though it was horribly dirty. The paint on it was chipped, parts of it were gouged out, and in all, she looked more dead than alive.

"Lady of the River, please, please," Ratana whispered fervently, dropping to her knees. "Your people won't survive much longer."

Katara watched silently as Ratana prayed, tears spilling over her cheeks. Her whole body was shaking with silent fury, sometimes she was so overwhelmed she was unable to speak and just clutched the bottom of the idol's feet, wishing that someone would help them.

It was a sobering sight.

As it crept into half-an-hour of prayer, a slight woman who looked like Ratana joined in. Behind her stood a man who had Ratana's kind eyes.

"Mum!" Ratana cried, throwing herself into her mother's arms.

Katara studied them. Their robes were made of fine fabrics, but they were patched and dusty. They both looked better fed than most, but they were still gaunt. Ratana's mother turned and coughed and a sick feeling sank in Katara's stomach; they could not sustain themselves like this. Her parents were going to run themselves to their death trying to help their village.

Katara sat in the shadows, letting Ratana have a moment with her family.

"Oh! This is Katara," Ratana said, "She's the one who bought the entire village food. And convinced that idiot from the factory to let me come down here."

"The Southerner," Ratana's father said. "We've heard much about you."

"Probably not all good," Katara sighed.

"It hardly matters what they all say," Ratana's mother said, pulling Katara into a hug. "Your actions, from what Ratana has said, mean you are a kind person with a good heart."

Ratana's parents tried to argue that the food they still had should be given to others, but Ratana would not hear of it. She made them a meal, and despite their reservations, they both tore into it hungrily as soon as it was placed in front of them.

They told Ratanana about all the sick, ill, and dying as they ate.

It sounded so familiar to Katara's own family she could not stop her eyes from misting. Ratana listened, absorbing it, but was unable to do anything.

When they had to leave, Ratana nearly could not.

"What if this is the last time I see you?" she asked. "I'm going to leave the competition. I can't! I can't."

"No, my sweet," her father said firmly. "You will see us again. And I will not allow you to throw away this chance."

"I don't want it without you."

"We are strong. We will prevail," her mother said. "Now go, before you get in trouble."

Outside the doors of the factory, Katara turned. She put Ratana's hair back into a braid, wiped the makeup that had messed up her face, and helped her dust off her robes. They both knew Ratana would not be allowed a moment to collect herself, or a night alone.

They were led into the main mess hall, where the factory workers gathered and had music nights after long days of work. Avizeh and Jin were already being friendly, playing board games or talking to different groups.

Ratana forced a bright smile and greeted a group that called over to her. Across the way, Katara saw Avizeh and Jin turn in question, about to ask about their little trip, but one firm shake of Katara's head sobered them.

Katara feared if Ratana were asked about it, she'd break down in tears and be unable to pick herself back up.

The night dragged on. It felt so stupid that Katara had to sit there doing little waterbending tricks for these villains while people were dying down in Jang Hui. She was itchy and distracted most of the night, despite her best efforts. When they were finally brought to their rooms, Katara muttered 'finally' out loud. Jhon, if he heard, ignored her.

Once in their rooms, Katara leaped on her suitcase.

She now knew she could not wait for Zuko's arrival. She couldn't wait two days for him to fix things. She had to do something immediately.

When she'd been packing, her fingers had grabbed something she'd almost forgotten. It was like there had been a fog around her mind, concealing this from her until this very moment. It was the oddest addition to her suitcase. She could not explain in any words or gestures what in the world had possessed her to grab her Painted Lady costume to bring.

Though, as she laid it out, it felt like kismet.

The real Painted Lady wasn't going to help her town? Fine, Katara would do what she could. She was never going to turn her back on those that needed her.

======

Right now the schedule will be that this updates every three weeks. I meant to update this yesterday, and told a few people online that May 5th was the day, but Grad School and a 'surprise' last observation got in the way and tied me up for a good chunk of time there. I'm writing pretty steadily and I know you all are anxious to read what happens, but I'd rather give myself time to write more than update it all really fast and leave you with nothing for months, if my muse takes a vacation. We're two chapters away from the Masquerade ball, so probably about 4 chapters away from the fights if that gets any of you excited!

If you have a tumblr or an a03 or follow 'karios' on here and follow the 'shorts' as gifts for those who review consistently, I've also been getting through those like crazy! I think that I uploaded THREE Zutara ones in the time since the last update, or at least 3 Avatar the Last Airbender ones. So check out my tumblr or a03 to see those! If you're thinking that you 'requested' one a while ago and you haven't seen it...it's a'coming. As I said, I'm working through those right now to get the list back down to a more manageable size lol

Also, who is super excited about The Painted Lady episode!? I know a lot of you have been waiting for this! I hope you enjoy my twists on it. I also want to tell you that there WILL be some major Zutara moments in the next chapter! A lot of you might be pretty happy with where the next chapter ends, I'll just say that.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

146K 6.2K 41
10 years after the 100-year war you moved to the Fire Nation to start your medical career. You did this so that you could work as a clinical psycholo...
394K 17.2K 42
*FINAL BOOK* At last, Saki found her place in the world - fighting side by side with the soon-to-be-legendary Team Avatar. That is, until she's forci...
22.7K 397 13
When the South Pole is being threatened by the North... When rebels protest for Gilak's imprisonment... When Fire Lord Zuko arrives in the South Pole...
45.9K 1.1K 34
Katara is preparing for the one position she never imagined: Fire Lady. Can young love be found amidst the tradition, politics, and intrigue as Katar...