Annabeth's Mortal Friends

By liladres

(!!) COMPLETE (!!) Yes, this is another cliche story. However, cliches are only popular because they're fun t... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine

Chapter Sixteen

42.9K 502 723
By liladres

Caleb Pierson's POV:

I half-jogged to my locker, dropping my bag on the tile floor of the hallway and spinning the lock, entering my combination.  There was an extra skip in my step today.  It was phase one of the plan, and I was excited, but I just had to figure out where exactly to begin.

I figured I had to pick someone in the school who was a pretty big gossip.  Word needed to spread fast. I had originally planned for Jordan to do it, because she's basically the center for this kind of stuff.  She was sick today, though, and I can't afford to wait any longer to put this plan in motion, so I have to find someone else.  The cheerleader route is probably a good one to take, though.

Glancing down the hallway, I notice a head of familiar blonde curls.  I look away before she can notice me, though.  After our conversation on Friday, I can't say that I'm eager to talk things out with her, which is weird, because normally I would've dropped anything to talk to her.

I scan the hallway a bit more, trying to find someone that'll spread the word.  Lizzie and Mimi, they're perfect.  They're both cheerleaders, which means that they'll tell their squad, and the rumors will spread like wildfire from there.  Well, they aren't really rumors if they're true, but that's besides the point.

"Hey Liz, Mimi."  I said, walking up to them and leaning against the wall.  They had both gone to my grade school, so I was decently close with them.

"Hey Caleb, what's up?"  Mimi asked, brushing her hair behind her ear.

"Nothing much, just wanted to see if you guys had heard the news yet."  I whispered, eyes flickering around the hallway for dramatic effect.

"The news?"  Lizzie wondered, glancing up from her phone.

I shrug, trying my hardest to look disinterested.  "Well, you know the new kid, Percy?"

Mimi smirked, elbowing Lizzie in the side.  "Oh yeah, we do.  Why, what happened?  He didn't get a girlfriend, did he?"

I winced.  Gonna have to ignore that second question.  "I just heard that he apparently has a record."

"A record?"  Lizzie gasped, a little too loudly if you ask me.  I don't need Annabeth knowing that these stories came from me, and she's right down the hall.

"Like a criminal record?!"  Mimi asked, grabbing my arm.  "What did he do?"

"Well, not a record exactly, but there's some seriously crazy stuff about this guy.  Apparently, if you google his name, all this stuff about arson and kidnapping his mom comes up.  It's crazy."

"No way," Lizzie muttered, shaking her head. 

"No way?" I parroted, frowning.

"That's impossible, you should probably check your sources." She said, returning to her phone.

Mimi turned to Lizzie and laughed.  "Oh come on, you can't be serious!  Percy totally looks like the bad boy type."

I stared at them as they bickered, my mouth probably hanging open in shock.  I just told them about actual crimes, and it's not even some petty shoplifting.  It's legitimate destruction of property and kidnapping.  Kidnapping!  I can't believe I'm listening to this.

"Liz, bad boys are hot, you can't deny that."  Mimi said, crossing her arms.

Lizzie laughed, shrugging.  "Yeah, I guess you're right,"  she said, turning her attention back to her phone again.

"Who are you texting, you're practically glued to your phone!"  Mimi giggled, reaching for the phone.  Lizzie snatched it away, blushing and turning it off.

I rolled my eyes, watching as they completely forgot that I was standing there.  I walked back to my locker, grabbing a few books for my next class.  Why isn't this working?  I thought for sure that those two would snatch that story up, but they were barely fazed by it.  I probably just made their crushes on Percy even bigger!  There's something wrong with girls, I swear. How does Percy get them all under some kind of spell? It just doesn't make sense.

I dropped my bag down at my desk, opening my notebook and writing down the prompt on the board.  None of my friends were in this class, so it was pretty much just my free time to think.

Ms. Clements walked up to my desk, tapping on it with a pencil.  "Caleb, your homework?"

"Oh, sorry Ms. Clements!"  I stammered, leaning down in my chair and grabbing my binder out of my bag.  I opened it up, pulling out the assignment and handing it to her.  She smiled warmly at me, grabbed the paper, and walked back to the front of the room. 

I reached forward to close my binder, but paused.  I forgot that I had printed out Percy's articles.  All the information I needed was in this binder, but I just needed someone to tell everyone.  Once everyone found out, Annabeth was bound to know, and then she'd leave Percy for good.

Or maybe I could skip the first step all together.  If there was a way for Annabeth to find out directly, then the rest of the school doesn't even matter.  I just need to get Annabeth to see these articles.

The little cartoon light bulb went off in my head.  I stacked the papers as quietly as I could, slipping them into my jacket and pressing my arm against them subtly, keeping them from falling on the floor.  I raised my hand slowly, waiting for the teacher to turn around.

"Yes, Mr. Pierson?"  She asked, cocking her head slightly.

"Can I go to the bathroom?"  I put my hand down, rising slowly out of my seat.

"I don't know, can you?"  She chuckled to herself.

I sighed.  I love Ms. Clements, but no one can pull that joke off.  "May I go to the bathroom?"  I said, jaw clenched through a smile.

She waved her hand to dismiss me.  "Go ahead, just grab the bathroom pass on your way out."

I thanked her, standing up and shoving my chair back in with my foot.  I pulled the pass off of the wall, putting it in my pocket and heading toward Annabeth's locker.  The hallways were basically empty, as no one was free during the morning.

I stepped up to Annabeth's locker, sliding the papers out from under my jacket.  I tried to open it, but it was locked shut.  Of course it was, Annabeth was prepared for anything.  I folded each paper in half.  It had to be short and thin enough to fit through the tiny slits on the tops of the locker.  I took a deep breath, lining up the papers with the holes before slipping them in.

I smiled to myself, putting my hands in the pockets of my jacket and strolling down the hall.  By the end of the day, Annabeth would learn all of Percy's secrets, and it would be over.  Then, she'd need someone to comfort her through her breakup.  Who better than me to be her shoulder to cry on?

—————————————
Am I writing this instead of doing the homework that was due several weeks ago?  Hmm maybe.

Ugh I just want to write this whole story right now, but I'm trying to pace myself because I don't want to finish it too quickly :(

5/6/20

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

375K 9.6K 23
In this story, Annabeth and Percy are not demigods. They are students at Goode. Annabeth and Percy. Just some other people at school, right? Wrong. A...
7.1K 148 21
Annabeth Chase is just a normal girl....Well not really. She is abused by her stepmother while her father pays no attention to her. Percy Jackson is...
286K 3.9K 32
[COMPLETED] 『M.M.D』 Stands For Mortals Meet Demigods. • Why don't you start reading it? Open the book! Whaat- No I'm not kidnapping you, Gods, your m...
250K 4.1K 15
Everyone has their soulmate's name tattoed on their back. AU, where there are only Greek gods but two camps. Annabeth went to the camp in San Fransi...