The Gate of E.N.D.

By AbbyLe_

When a tragic accident strikes Fairy Tail, Lucy finds herself with a new key. But this key is more powerful a... More

Chapter 1: The Job
Chapter 2: Fighting the Monster
Chapter 3: Taking Natsu Back Home
Chapter 4: Lucy and Gray
Chapter 5: The Details
Chapter 7: E.N.D.
Chapter 8: An Explanation
Chapter 9: A Plan
Chapter 10: The Mistake
Chapter 11: Setting Off
Chapter 12: Flying to Hargeon
Chapter 13: The Boat
Chapter 14: Caracole Island
Chapter 15: Infiltrating the Enemy
Chapter 16: The Alvarez Empire
Chapter 17: Carla and Happy
Chapter 18: The Prison
Chapter 19: Carla's Journey
Chapter 20: Hiding Out
Chapter 21: Meeting Jellal
Chapter 22: E.N.D.'s Rampage
Chapter 23: Zeref's Plan
Chapter 24: The Unwanted Date
Chapter 25: Captured Again
Chapter 26: Back in the Empire
Chapter 27: Fairy Tail Prepares for War
Chapter 28: A Sense of Urgency
Chapter 29: Getting into the Palace
Chapter 30: Sorano's Help
Chapter 31: The Brandish Squad
Chapter 32: Arriving at Fairy Tail
Chapter 33: Gray v.s. Invel
Chapter 34: Lucy v.s. Dimaria
Chapter 35: Team Natsu v.s. Irene
Chapter 36: August
Chapter 37: The E.N.D.
Epilogue

Chapter 6: The Funeral

2.2K 45 13
By AbbyLe_

"We are gathered here today to mourn the loss of one of our own." Makarov said sadly. "Natsu Dragneel was a beloved member of the Fairy Tail guild. He was kind, reckless, and brave."

"This doesn't feel right." Wendy whispered to Lucy.

"I know," Lucy whispered back tearfully. She stared at the casket and trembled.

"Shhh..." Erza muttered.

"All of us were greatly impacted by his passing, especially his own team: Gray, Erza, Wendy, Happy, Carla, and Lucy. It is horrible that someone so young had to die, but he died a hero. He saved Lucy's life."

Everyone stared at Lucy. This was new information for most of them. She lowered her head as she noticed some people glaring at her. Gray shook his fist at her. Great, now everyone else hates me. She thought sadly.

"Would anyone like to say a few words?" Makarov asked.

Lucy raised her hand. "Natsu died saving me. He was impaled by the monster we were fighting. Happy and I tried to get him help, but it was too late. His wounds were...too severe." Her voice caught. "I can't believe he is gone. Natsu was my best friend and I cared about him more than anything. I didn't want him to die!" She started crying. "I wish he was still here, I miss him so much!" She started shaking as she sobbed uncontrollably. She stepped back and murmurs ran through the crowd.

"I wanna say something." Gray said angrily he stepped forward. "It's Lucy's fault that Natsu died!"

Gasps rang throughout the crowd. Erza and Wendy clenched Lucy's hands.

"Gray!" Wendy whispered nervously.

"Lucy killed Natsu! If she hadn't been there, he would still be alive! He died saving her! She should be dead instead!" He spat, ignoring Wendy's plea. 

"Stop it! It's not Lucy's fault! Natsu knew what was at stake. Gray, your best friend has died and this is what you do?! What the hell is wrong with you?" Erza demanded angrily as tears ran down her face.

Gray looked shocked at seeing Erza cry. "E-Erza..."

"Natsu was your friend! You grew up together, laughed together, and fought together. Hell, you were on the same team! Regardless of what you showed, you cared about him! How do you think he would feel if he saw you right now?! You should be ashamed of yourself!" Erza yelled.

"I should be ashamed of myself?! Lucy should be ashamed! She let him die!" Gray argued.

"NO I DIDN'T!" Lucy screeched tearfully. "Gray! I loved Natsu! I would never let him die! I swear on my damn life, I didn't let him die!"

"Stop it!" Makarov demanded forcefully. "Natsu has passed on. You are tainting his memory with your foolishness! This is over." He stormed away to the guild hall. Everyone slowly followed, except for the few people who would lower his casket in the ground.

Mirajane squeezed Lucy's hand as she passed. "It's not your fault." 

"It is her fault!" Gray growled.

Mirajane shook him. "Gray. I know you're having a hard time dealing with Natsu's death, but you need to stop. You've abused Lucy physically and emotionally and you're blaming her for his death! She's your friend, too! She cared about Natsu too! Do you honestly think she would let him die?!"

"I'm sorry..." Gray's face broke as he ran towards the guild hall.

Juvia followed him. "Gray!"

"Natsu, you were like my big brother. You were always there for me, and would always help me with my dragon slaying. You made everyone in the guild happy. Thank you for being my big brother. I love you, Natsu." Wendy choked out as she kneeled in front of his grave. 

Carla held her hand grimly. "Please rest in peace, Natsu."

"Natsu, I wish you were still here." Erza sobbed as she stared at his grave. "I miss my reckless friend. You were brave and stupid, and always made me mad. But you were caring and also made me smile. You protected all of us. Rest in peace, my friend." She took a moment to compose herself. She and Wendy exchanged glances as they looked at their blonde friend, who was staring off into space.

"Come on, let's go, Lucy." Wendy grabbed her teammate's hand.

"I'll be there in a sec. I need some time." Lucy said as she knelt by Natsu's grave.

"Do you want to be alone?" Erza asked.

"Please." Lucy begged. 

Wendy and Erza laid their hands on Natsu's casket before leaving, tears running down their faces. Happy stayed behind to watch Lucy. 

"Natsu...I never got to tell you how I felt." Lucy's lip trembled. "I loved you. You were so sweet and energetic, and always made me happy. I wish I had gotten to tell you that...I'm sorry. I don't know why you saved me, you big idiot. Obviously, you're more important to everyone. They all miss you deeply. Thank you for protecting me. I love and miss you...so much..."

"Lucy." Happy popped up behind her.

Lucy quickly wiped her tears and fake smiled. "Yeah?"

"I'm sorry." He started weeping.

Her brow furrowed. "Why are you sorry? If anything, I'm sorry."

"I'm sorry you never got to tell him that." Happy jumped into her arms and hugged her.

"Aw, buddy, it's okay." Lucy held the blue Exceed tightly. "Let's go back to the guild hall, okay?"

"I have something to give you." Happy reached behind him and pulled out Natsu's scarf. "I think he'd want you to have this."

Lucy handed the scarf back to him. "You were his best friend. You should have it."

"But he loved you!"

"But you've known him since you were born!"

"But you're his soulmate!"

"Fine, we'll share it, sound good?" Lucy slightly smiled.

He nodded. "Aye!" He walked over to Natsu's casket and gingerly laid his fish on it. "Natsu, you and I would always argue about the fish. So here you go. I cooked it for you too, buddy. Just how you like it. I miss you so much, Natsu! You were my best friend and now you're gone! I wish you were still here!" He sniffled and tried to be brave. "I know you're in a better place, now, where you're not in pain. Sweet dreams, my best friend. Goodbye, Natsu."

"Happy, that was so sweet." Lucy said as she picked him up.

He crookedly smiled. "I miss him."

"Me too." They walked to the guild hall. "Do you think Gray is still mad at me?"

"I'm not sure. He looked pretty upset after Mira reprimanded to him." Happy said.

"Yeah..." They entered the guild hall. Lucy started walking towards Levy, but someone grabbed her hand.

"Lucy..."

She turned. "Gray?"

"Can we talk?" He asked.

Lucy hesitated before nodding. He led her outside. "Gray, if you're gonna yell at me-"

"I'm sorry." He blurted out. He covered his eyes and wept. "I'm so, so sorry. I should've never treated you like that! It's not your fault, I was just so angry, and-"

Lucy shut him up by hugging him. "It's ok."

Gray looked down at her. She was crying, but had a forgiving smile on her face. "I know you didn't mean it. You lost your best friend. I understand."

"Why are you forgiving me?" 

"Because I don't want to spend my life holding grudges. Natsu died so young, who knows when the rest of us will? I don't want to be angry my whole life, I want to forgive and keep our friendships."

"Thank you, Lucy." Gray buried his face in her hair. "And I knew how Natsu felt about you. I'm sorry you guys never got to tell each other."

Lucy sighed. "Me too."

They sat hugging each other for a moment. Lucy closed her eyes as it started raining on them. 

"Should we go inside?" Gray suggested. She nodded. They went back into the guild.

"Hey, Lucy..." Levy cautiously approached her.

"Hey, Levy." Lucy quietly smiled.

The petite Mage threw her arms around her. "I'm sorry, Lucy. I feel so bad!"

"It's okay, Lev. How is Gajeel processing this?" Lucy asked.

"I don't know. He hasn't said anything all day. He just looks like he's gonna cry. I've stayed by his side, though, just to make sure he doesn't try to do something drastic." Levy said as she worriedly looked at her partner.

"I imagine the dragon slayers are all having a hard time processing it." Lucy sadly looked at Wendy, Gajeel, and Laxus. "They had so much history, and a close bond."

"Yeah. Do you think they'll be okay?"

"I don't know. They were all family. They grew so much closer after their dragon parents left them."

"Yeah, I imagine it's hard. I'm sorry, but I better go check on Gajeel again." Levy gave her best friend a quick hug and left. 

Lucy headed back towards her team. She saw Erza reprimanding an apologetic Gray. Wendy grabbed Erza's hand as she raised it to slap him. "Guys, I-"

Suddenly, the doors were thrown open. The people closet to them flew backwards.

Makarov looked at the intruder furiously. "You have some nerve sauntering into our guild hall like that! Who are you?"

The man smirked as he made his way over to them. His black robes flowed behind him.

"Zeref..." Wendy whimpered. Erza protectively wrapped an arm around her.

"Where is Lucy Heartfilia?" Zeref demanded.

Lucy's heart raced as he scanned the guild for her face. Gray stepped in front of her, shielding her from Zeref's view.

"Why should we tell you?" Gray glared at him as he stood in a fighting stance. He ripped off his shirt. Other members surrounded the Black Wizard, ready to attack.

"I'm not here to fight." Zeref held up a hand. "I just need to give Lucy Heartfilia something."

"What is it?" Lucy asked curiously as she stepped forward.

Makarov held up his hand. "Don't get any closer, Lucy."

Zeref pulled out a key. Lucy gasped. "Is that a zodiac key?"

"No, it's something...different." Zeref slightly smiled as he approached her. Makarov carefully watched the Black Wizard's movements. Zeref handed Lucy the key. "Summon it in private." He said before vanishing.

Lucy stared at the key in awe. It had red and black flames with the letters E.N.D. on it. "What's E.N.D.?" She asked.

"I don't know..." Makarov shrugged. "Be careful summoning it, child."

Lucy nodded. "I will." She smiled as she examined it. "It reminds me of Natsu."

Erza slightly smiled. "Yes, it does."

"I wonder what's so special about it." Gray said as he stared at the key. He suddenly felt a strong desire to destroy it.

"Lucy, I think you should go home and see what it does." Erza suggested.

Lucy nodded. "Okay. Goodbye, everyone."

"Goodbye." They smiled as she left, but their smiles were tinged with sadness.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

12.4K 479 18
When levy decides to try a new enchantment on her favourite book of fairy tales, the spell goes horribly wrong. Natsu, Lucy, Gray, Juvia, Erza and Je...
5.9K 138 26
Lucy was fine and happy, she and Fairy tail had just finished getting rid of Meer Gard but then some news breaks Lucy down. Will Natsu and her friend...
199K 7.4K 22
Lucy Heartfilia's death came as a shock to the entire Fairy Tail guild, but to none more than Natsu Dragneel. Devestated, he loses the will to fight...
973 24 10
"He was injured severely, but we're confident he'll recover," The doctor told her and she let out a sigh of relief. Her precious Gray would be alrigh...