Aeleva; The Viking Saxon

By CuriousAngel87

*COMPLETED * England, AD 792. When all she knows is burnt to the ground, Aeleva is taken by the feared Danes... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 17.5
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Historical Note
Acknowledgements
Sneak peek! - Innocent Eyes
SilverLavender Awards

Chapter 13

2.6K 145 20
By CuriousAngel87

"Aeleva" A gentle hand brushed my cheek as a voice woke me.

"Aeleva." I opened my eyes and was met with Hagen's face, smiling at me.

"It's time to go." His hand travelled up into my hair and worked his fingers into my scalp. I closed my eyes at the sensation. He moved in a circular motion, sending shivers of pleasure down my neck. His hand then traced down my jaw line to my chin. I turned my face away to hide the blush that was creeping up my cheeks. But he drifted my face back, to turn to him, to meet his eyes. His thumb brushed the side of my face.

"You will ride with me again." I nodded and got up to gather my things.

"Find your horse and food. Quickly, we need to move." Hagen then turned and walked out the tent.

It was riding day. We were to start making the journey to Ribe. We would travel over half the journey today and make camp close enough to Ribe to attack but far enough away to remain unnoticed. Earl Hagen and Earl Leofric would ride with their men. Whilst Earl Arne and Earl Harald would sail with theirs. We would meet in Ribe in two days.

I gathered my things and attempted to find Hilda but she was gone. Her things had been taken and her horse was gone. Perhaps she was to sail with Earl Harald.

I packed my things on Ghost and walked him to the east of Kolding where the men had gathered. Around 500 men were ready to march, carrying all sorts of weapons, tents and food. Women were there too, not just shield maidens. Women from the towns, to supply food and warm comforts in the night. Together we were probably 700. Although I believed the women would not stay for the whole journey.

The journey was long and tedious. We marched for hours. Sometimes I walked next to ghost just to have a difference in rhythm and relieve my sore arse. We were headed North East, inland. Ribe sat in a meeting of two huge rivers. Meaning it's south and west borders were water. We would come from the North and breach the gates. The ships from the south and attack the ports upon our break. But that meant we would have to move, to come from above. We rode for hours and made camp an hour before sun down.

I was so pleased to sit down around the camp fire. The women had prepared a stew from animals that were hunted along the way. And it was delicious, but I think anything I would've put in my mouth would've been heavenly.

Men had gathered to eat and enjoy some mead after the days travel. Hagen sat down next to me and my body tingled just a little bit. The pain of our fight days ago, had faded. It was no longer sore between us, it seemed we had regained our familiarity.

We all sat crossed legged on the floor. There was a rather eccentric man in the middle of a makeshift circle around the camp fire. His body was lanky and his clothes were too small for him. He had short hair, just an easy cut, no long braids or expensive beads woven in.

"Ok, ok. Fine." Cheer erupted from the men sitting around the fire as the man spoke. It was a funny sight, grown men sat around a camp fire begging for a story of the Gods. The rains had stopped and the ground was dry but the trees still smelt like damp. And the smoke from the fire was comforting and relaxed me.

"I will tell a story of Thor!" Excited shouts came from the men at the mention of the much-loved god. "The mighty God of strength and protection!" This drew more sounds of encouragement.

"Our Gods begin at a might feast. The grand hall of Asgard was filled to the brim with juicy boar and stewed fish. Massive fires with massive bears roasting. The tables were full of every kind of food you could think of! Fish pickled, salted and boiled, stews of vast number and every kind of berry.

"Thor was celebrating along with all the gods for they had defeated an army of Draugr!" Another acclamation from the crowd. The man walked heavily to show the defeat of such giant creatures.

Sven came to sit the other side of me. I only noticed him as he grabbed my shoulder to steady himself as he sat on the floor. I was too captivated by the man.

"Each and every God was gathered to feast... and drink! Odin, Frigg, Freya and Tyr, all had gathered. And like all good feasts, they all drank too merry!

"Thor wondered home but alas didn't make it... so slept under a tree." The man fell to the ground, knocked out by drunkenness. He curled up and sucked him thumb. The crowd giggled, myself included.

"But in the shadows... Big Head was waiting." The man jumped up and walked slowly around the fire, crouching behind imaginary trees.

The crowd booed and the mention of the ugly Giant.

"He saw an opportunity and grabbed Mjöllnir and ran! He ran all the way to Giant Land with that hammer!

"When Thor awoke, he was raging. No one had ever seen him quite so angry! He ran all around Asgard and searched every corner. But nothing. He could not find it anywhere. The other gods tried to sooth him but it was no use. Thor was inconsolable.

"Then a messenger arrived." The story teller put on a deep voice of a Giant. "'I, Big Head the giant, have taken your hammer Thor! And I will never return it! Unless... Freya agrees to marry me!'

"Thor was beside himself, he begged Freya to marry the Giant but it was fruitless."

The story teller put on a high-pitched voice and held his body like a woman. "I would never marry an ugly Giant! That is ridiculous. No, no way!" And he flicked his hair over his shoulder. The drunk crowded roared with laughter.

"And so, Thor did the only thing left. The only other way he was going to get his precious Mjöllnir back."

He waited, looking around at the men who were captivated by his words. Waiting with eagerness for the story to continue.

"He dressed as a woman." The crowd lost it. Shrieks of laughter erupted from the men at such a ridiculous idea. Sven, next to me, was rumbling with laughter. I was so swept up in the story I was giggling at the silly words too.

The storyteller got a sheet and wrapped it around himself in a dress. Prancing around the fire as he was Thor dressed as Freya.

"Thor raced across to Giant land in his new dress. And when he arrived, he beckoned Big Head.

"Oh, Big Head! Oh, Big Head! My long-lost love. I had to rush here the moment I learnt of your love for me! We shan't be apart anymore!" Freya flicked her hair and battered her eye lids.

"The moment Big Head saw Freya, he rushed her inside to marry her. The ceremony was about to begin and Giants had assembled to see the God of Beauty.

"'Oh, but my dear, are you not forgetting something?'

"Oh yes." Big Head replied in a deep rumbling voice. "'Thor's hammer.'

"And so, the hammer was brought out. And in a flash Thor tore off his disguise and grabbed the hammer. 'Ah ha! Stupid Giant, I have been Thor all along!' With one mighty swing Thor crashed the hammer in the Giants head! Big Head fell to the ground from one single blow!" Great howls of praise for the fall of the Giant.

"You enjoy our stories." Hagen said next to me. He was watching me cheer and boo with the men. I turned to look at him.

His eyes flashed comfort though me and his smile encouraged mine. We were staring into each others eyes but not from anger or confusion. I was not trying to figure him out. I looked at him because I wanted to, because it felt amazing.

"Come," Hagen breathed in my ear. He grabbed my hand and lead me away from the commotion that had been created. Before I left, Sven's scared face gave me a knowing smirk that made a blush appear on my cheeks.

Hagen led me through the forest to a quiet clearing. The moon was full and it shone down, illuminating the night as clear as day. The peace struck me. It was so still, so alluring.

"I will tell you another story."

There was a fallen tree in the middle of the clearing. The moss on it looked blue in the moon light. I walked over to it and jumped up to sit. Hagen hadn't moved from the tree line and was watching me intently.

"Have you ever heard of Freyr?" He asked as he leant on the tree beside him. I shook my head in response.

"He was a powerful god. Leader of the Vanir tribe. Ruler of peace and fertility. He chose when the sun shone and when it did not." I sat there listening to him. I loved the stories of the gods. It was fascinating to me.

"He was sitting on Odin's throne one day and looking over the 9 worlds." Hagen pushed of the tree and slowly walked into the moon light. The light slowly revealed him. Shining down his forehead, his nose, his lips. It fell upon his chest rising and falling with each breath.

"He looked upon the land of the Giants and saw the most beautiful being he had ever seen. He saw the Giantess Gerd."

"It's a love story." I whispered as I understood. He nodded.

"Of sorts." Hagen answered.

"He was so infatuated with her. He wouldn't eat, he wouldn't drink. He never slept." He resumed walking slowly towards me.

"His family became very worried and asked his servant to find out. When his father learned of his obsession, he went to fetch her and brought her to Freyr."

"The moment the met, it was exhilarating. They fell madly in love. Could not ever be without the other. They married on the spot." I was transfixed by his words. Reading them as they came off his lips.

"But you have to remember, Gerd was a giant and Freyr was of Vanir. Their union was forbidden." Hagen moved closer to me. He came within touching distance. I bowed my head, not wanting to keep his eyes anymore. He came to stand in front of me, his hand rested on the tree to my side. He was so close his musk was the only thing I could think of.

"Slowly the Gods in Asgard turned against Freyr. First it was Tyr, then it was Frigg. Until all that was left was Freya, his sister. She loved him dearly but even she could not overcome the differences." My heart beat fast in my chest. His breath hit my neck from where he stood. The sensation made my skin tingle and my stomach flutter.

"It became too much for Gerd so she tried to run. But Freyr's servant gave her away. The moment Freyr learnt of this, he ran to chase her. And he was too quick for her. When he caught her, he held her down and drew a knife to Gerd's throat." Hagen reached up and touched my cheek, lifting my head so I could see him.

"But when he looked into her eyes, he couldn't do it." His hand left my check and trailed down my neck. "And so, cut his own throat instead." I gasped at the horror.

"But why?" I whispered. Only loud enough for him to hear me.

"Because he could not live without her."

~~~~
Vote if you like!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

283 52 20
This story is about two 'lookers' twins that is searching peace in this world. They are known for their broken family but also known as the deadliest...
81.1K 1.6K 68
Faith never treated failed lovers kind. For Hella one tragedy hits the other. Hoping she could get freed from her curse she travels to Kattegat. Ther...
22.2K 896 27
3 book of the series Feeling the anger well up, she slowly rose from the table, " No one will come and save us! Alfred will marry a Mercian lady, and...
The Virtue By Noopzee

Historical Fiction

1.2M 30.6K 108
Can love really transform you into Better or worse? {Worth binge reading} Will Ivar, the ruthless handsome Viking fall in love with Nova, a French p...