Demus: The Prince And The Mil...

By CandiWolfe

Even though Prince Janus's father was always gone, for the first ten years of Janus's life, he's has been hap... More

Prologue
Herbivore Dragons
Interaction
Friends?
It Was Right There!
*Teleports*
Nighttime Adventures
Should've Known It Was A Bad Idea
Getting To Know Your Friends
Moving Along
Market Squares And Gold Coins
Searching For Shadows
Burning It Down
Flickers Of Firelight
Escapees

Spiderweb Cracks

323 32 17
By CandiWolfe

A milkman? But this person was hardly over Jan's age, maybe sixteen or seventeen! He was a milk boy, more like. And what was going on? Jan didn't have a milkman, and he told the boy so. 

"I don't have a milkman, silly," Jan shouted to him. "I've never had one!"

Milk, though... he remembered what it was like back when he was in the castle, rich and creamy. Every evening, he would ask for a glass of milk from his mother. The castle cooks would give him little sips of milk and cream when the others weren't looking. He remembered drinking a bottle in the courtyard and watching clouds go by, the occasional bird singing a sweet melody. 

It did sound lovely this hot afternoon. Disi let out an approving and pleading whine as if he too could remember what milk was like and wanted a drink. 

"Well now you do," the boy shot back up, interrupting Jan's train of thought. "Anyway... where's the door to the tower?"

"Doesn't have one," Jan replied snarkily. 

The boy hesitated. " Then how will we get the milk up there?" he asked, pointing to the tower.

Jan realized this was quite a predicament. The tower was high up, and the only way in would be through a door of sorts... but as mentioned before, there were no doors in this prison-like tower.

And the only dragon here was scared of heights. Great. How would Disi even get out in the first place? The hole that the postman used was a tiny slit in the bricks. There was no way Disi would fit.

But milk...

So immersed in his thoughts was he, Jan almost didn't hear the boy speak. "Will your highness please come down so we can talk easier?" he asked, nearly making Jan jump. 

"Whatever," Jan muttered, retreating from the window to gather Disi in his arms. "Can you believe this guy?" he whispered to the dragon. "So rude!"

Disi sent Jan a look that said, You're going to go down the stairs though, right? Manners first, Jan. 

Sighing, Jan nodded. "...yeah, whatever Disi. You're worse than Mom was." 

He exited his bedroom and ran down the stairs, nearly tripping at the end. The closest window to the boy was in the dining room, which didn't have very comfortable chairs, so Jan slipped into the window frame instead. Disi, never one to miss a comfy place to nap, jumped onto Jan's stomach, and curled up. 

The boy smiled, seeing that Jan had come downstairs. "So how will we do it?" he asked.

Jan shrugged. "Hell if I know!"

The boy paused for a second, then seemed to think of something. "How much do you want the milk?" he called. 

What? How much do I want it?

"I mean," Jan hesitated. "A lot? I haven't had any in a long time," he admitted, shrugging. 

"How does food normally come in?" the boy asked.

Jan stopped. "I don't know," he replied. "I usually just wake up and there's food. I dunno if my dad's paying some fairy from the West Hills to teleport it in, but it just appears. But there's never any fucking milk!"

The boy raised his hands, laughing a bit as he tried to calm Jan down. "Chill, chill," he giggled. "Milk is good, but not that good. But you really want it?"

Jan nodded. "Yeah."

"Okay, then we're going to need to find a way to get in the milk..." The boy's voice trailed off, as he was apparently thinking hard. 

"Excuse me," Jan murmured from the window, stroking a single finger down Disi's back, making the dragon coo. "Excuse me, but are you going to tell me your name? It's getting a bit tiring to just think of you as the 'milk-boy' all the time."

He smiled at Jan. "Oh, sure! I'm Remus Mottle, your highness Prince Deceit," he said, taking a deep bow. "Pleasure."

Jan gave a short little laugh. "Oh, do call me Janus or Jan, no 'Prince' anything. I've been locked up here, I'm the farthest thing from a royal now. And the pleasure is all mine," he responded, smiling. "Anyway, I'll leave you to your thoughts again."

"Thank you," Remus laughed. "That will be nice."

Five minutes passed in silence, with Remus sitting on the ground and taking the occasional sip of his water, and Jan sitting on the windowpane, body curled to fit snugly in the round circle of bricks and mortar. 

After a few more minutes, in which Jan's patience wore out, Jan sat up. "Have you come up with anything, Remus?" he asked, tapping the glass to get Remus's attention. 

Remus's head snapped up. "Oh! Um, well, there's one idea. Do you have a cracked window anywhere?"

Jan nodded, looking around for the window. His gaze fell on it, placed in the kitchen. It had obviously been cracked several times, as someone could tell from the mess of spiderwebbed cracks. 

"Yeah, one of the knights came and tried to break a window. He got about halfway through before I scared the horse with a red banner and it ran off blindly. I dunno what happened to them, though. Why?"

"Can you lead me to it?"

"Sure. Why?"

"Alright." Remus pulled his sack over his shoulder again and smiled. "Let's go!"

Jan gave Disi a quick pat, for the dragon was becoming a bit restless and was nipping at Jan's boots. "For the third time, why?"

"I'll explain later," Remus responded, his eyes glittering. "Now show me!"

Jan gave him a nervous, confused smile. "Okay...?"

The prince led the milkman around the tower, which was quite large, containing a living room, a kitchen, a dining room, a bathroom, and a shower room with several baths that were somehow always stocked with various scents and lotions. 

"Alright, so here we are," Jan said, stopping at the cracked window. A brick had fallen out, but was too small for the milk to fit, so that wasn't an option. "What, in the name of heaven, are you going to do, though?"

Remus took a deep breath. "Does your dragon breathe fire?" he questioned, glancing at Disi, who flicked out a gold-bronze tongue. 

Jan shook his head exasperatedly. "No, just frost--"

"Perfect!" Remus cried, clapping his hands together with a grin. "Can you get him to breathe on the window? It'll all work, I promise."

Jan tilted his head, bewildered. "...sure, but why?"

Remus looked at Jan with pity. "You never learned much science, did you? When you freeze something..." 

Disi let out a thin stream of snowflakes, which quickly spread throughout the window. It filled the cracks, wrapping the glass in a blanket of frost. Jan watched in wonder. 

Remus continued. "If you freeze it, making it brittle, you can do this!" He raised a hand and hit the glass hard. "It'll splinter-- watch out, your highness!"

The glass shattered, pieces going everywhere. Some fell onto the floor, some landed on Janus's dark gold jacket, and others sprinkled on the outside grass. Janus shrieked, jumping back just in time to avoid most of the dust. It didn't work completely, though. He coughed from the dust as Disi took cover behind Jan's boots. 

"What in bloody hell was that, Remus?!" Janus yelled. "What did you just do?" He looked up, incredulous, then his gaze flickered to the broken glass pieces on the floor, then back to the boy standing there, an apologetic grin on his face. "That was dangerous!"

Remus sighed. "I know, I know, sorry. But at least now I can give you your milk, right?" He reached into his bag and pulled out a bottle of white liquid, frothing slightly at the top. "Here you go, enjoy."

Jan took the bottle hesitantly, then opened it. "Is it... going to poison me?" he asked carefully, looking into the opening. 

Remus laughed. "Of course not, Prince Janus! Are you barking mad? It's just cow milk!"

"...okay," Jan said, still unsure. He took a small sip. 

It was cool and sweet. The first time he'd had milk, or any drink except for water, in years. Seven years, to be exact. And while it wasn't exactly like what he had imagined-- slightly more watery and much less creamy-- it was still startling, the ways it was different and the ways it was the same. 

He paused. Took another drink. And sat down, still thinking. 

"Are you alright, Prince Janus?" Remus asked worriedly. "You seem to be... transfixed. Have you eaten anything sour, like cottage cheese with a cookie?"

Jan looked at him incredulously. "Are you stupid? Who would eat something like that? A madman, that's who."

Disi let out an approving chirp. 

Remus sighed. "Well, you seem slightly out of it, your highness."

"Stop with the formal stuff," Jan reprimanded him. "I told you, it's Janus, not your highness."

"Sorry, your-- I mean, Janus."

"Thank you. No, I am not transfixed, I'm just... thinking about some stuff. I haven't had milk in a while," Jan admitted.

Remus grinned. "Happy to oblige! Now, what are we going to do about this window?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

32.2K 1.1K 28
Prince Patton White, son of Snow White, has always thought that the kids over on the Isle deserved a chance to be good. With the help of Prince Roman...
5.6K 460 40
//Descendants au. Ships: prinxiety, demus, and logicality\\ Ever since the good side had lost the great battle, villains ruled Auradon. What was now...
2.7K 179 15
Janus Owens would do absolutely anything in his power for his little brother Virgil. The chances of a sixteen-year-old getting adopted weren't very...
13.2K 822 21
Virgil Storm has grown up in a world where everything is normal, but it's turned upside down when he suddenly develops powers. How will this hormonal...