The Black Dane : The Fools War

By Skipology

[ Book 1 of my "The Last Kingdom" Fanfiction series] Khaana was a rare find and a wild prized gifted to Earl... More

C A S T
SOUNDTRACK
Sleeping Hounds
The Saxon Child
Uhtred son of Uhtred
A Wasp and a Promise
The Runts
The Humane Monsters
A Fight, Not His Last
Silver Bonds
The Littlest Dane
The Forwarding of Time
Hel Fire
Shifting Through Ruin
A Plague of Lies
The Creature Caught
The Scent of a Trap
The Taking
The Den of the Lion
No Saints Among Them
No Prey
Arselings and Urswines
Alfred
Idiocy
A Test of Flames
Restless Wessex
A Slow Turn
The Unforeseen
Crowned King of Wessex
Negotiations
Trying Times
Minds Eye
Decisions
So Vows Uncertainty
To Build Understanding
Even Match
Unholy
Brewing Machinations
Watchers
Forsworn
Something Borrowed
Well Wishes to Ill Beginnings
Conceived Bonds
Something Soured
Makings of a Spy
Fyrstburðarsonr

The Fork In Destiny

1K 33 16
By Skipology

Khaana caught up with Uhtred outside the gate to Ubba's new fortress,  before him stood the great black steed, "why are you a horse?" Uhtred asked her. "You're so frightened you've lost all sense" Khaana chuckled softly "get on, Osbert, you will be too slow on foot, and we must make haste back to Brida." she said.

Uhtred reached up to her neck and pulled himself up, taking hold of her mane to stay steady. " We won't have much time, if Ubba's men do not find Storri somewhere on the road back soon, they will come for us, and this time we may not be so fortunate." Khaana advised. "You are right, run with the speed of Svadilfari." Uhtred said. "Faster, even." Khaana said her voice full of ego as she took off into the trees.

Khaana listened to the surrounding woods, for fear that they would be followed and ambushed. After all it had been an eventful couple of days and nothing, nowhere felt safe. Uhtred had fallen uncommonly quiet and Khaana could feel his eyes watching the back on her head as she carried him along. 

"Speak." she said.

"That king back there, did you know him?" Uhtred asked. Khaana side glanced "why do you ask?" she questioned. Uhtred let out a small laugh "because you told me to speak." He said.

Khaana huffed, "No, not personally, but he is a Saxon king, and I seek death to all Saxon kings." She explained plainly. "It was more than that, you are a Dane, we all feel the same mostly. This was more than that. You were hungry for it." said Uhtred.

Khaana said nothing and pressed on through the trees "A Saxon king took from me my skies, all I had left here on the earth. When I was placed for Earl Ragnar to find me by the gods...the Saxon King found me, captured me and took my wings as his prize. Ragnar the Younger, made me a promise that they would help me take revenge on the blood of the one who wrong me -all Saxon kings." She explained.

Khaana's gaze focused on the path headed, an unsettling feeling that all at once felt slightly comforting nestled in her core. "But as king Edmund was put to an end, it did not feel as fulfilling as I had hoped, something replaces my vengeance slowly - I have more than just my hate left, I have purpose." Khaana spoke quietly.

Uhtred tilted his head to the side "what is this purpose?" He asked. 

Through the Tree's Khaana could spot Brida, she stood before a bay horse, her back turned to them as she was busy fiddling with something the horse carried. Khaana could hear her giggling, "Khaana?" Uhtred asked, She smiled and shook her head "it's a secret, Osbert." she said with a sly tone. "That's not fair, I wish to know." Uhtred complain, slightly sulking he looked like a boy all over again.

"You will one day, I may tell you when I can stomach your teasing." Khaana chuckled.

Hearing the thundering hooves of Khaana, Brida turned around to greet them. "You're back!" she called hopeful. She looked from Khaana to Uhtred, neither so much as cracked a smile "That's good, right?" she asked.

Khaana came to a stop, and once Uhtred got down from her back she took her true for again. Her eyes looked to Brida and a frown stretch crossed her face. "Did he here you?" Brida asked Uhtred. "He did not" Uhtred sighed "not a word."

"The lumbering fool is deaf to truth, he trusts no one but Storri and Guthrum. He trusted old Ragnar but... It may just be he is blinded by grief as well as stupidity. They were friends. It is hard on everyone. Though I can't believe I say this, even on Ubba." Khaana sighed crossing her arms.

"So what did he say?" Brida asked.

"That he will kill me" Uhtred replied with a light shrug. "That's it?" Brida questioned, following Uhtred as he walked past her. Khaana's eyes looked towards Brida's horse, and quickly they did a double take. "That's...a lot of freckles for one ass..." Khaana said while fighting against laughter.

"Is that Storri?" Uhtred questioned. "Uh huh, what did Ubba say?" Brida said.

"He's naked..." Uhtred murmured. "It was necessary, tell me what did he say, Uhtred." Brida continued to press.

"There is a branch up his ass!" Uhtred gasped. "Which is why it was necessary" Brida said through a shivered chuckle. Khaana giggled "good girl, Brida, is it just in the crack or-" Khaana asked with an amused smirk stretched across her face. "Its in there." Brida replied proudly. "Good, if you want to grow a tree the branch will need the fertilizer." Khaana laughed.

The three of them surrounded Storri who looked up at Uhtred hopefully,  Brida smiled and reached out to wiggle the branch, cause Storri to yelp. "Poor bastard." Khaana snickered. 

"Come now, He must have said something" Brida spoke, bring back an air of seriousness. Uhtred sighed, and looked to Khaana. "He said lots of things, but to a pitiful Saxon king mostly," Khaana explained. "And he believes the lie." Uhtred added.

Brida's smile fell, "He believes that I killed Ragnar." said Uhtred, he gave the horse a swat, and he took off with the branch impaled  seer upon it's back. Brida looked to Khaana "there was nothing you could do? He wouldn't listen, not even to you?" she asked. "Ubba see's me as an object and weapon only. Items such as lack wisdom, so anything I say that's not a threat goes out one ear and out the other." Khaana said.

"She has power but at the end of the day, she was sent as a slave, and that's how he sees her." Uhtred sighed and looked about the woodlands, "we should distance ourselves from this place." he said. 

"And go where, Uhtred?" Brida asked, she stood rigid as she watched him. Khaana looked on her carefully and sighed softly, Brida wasn't going to like their options as it was clear, none of them involved staying within Dane territory. They had to go into hiding at best, Brida was strong, brave and stubborn, she would not like it.

"Anywhere that is not here." Uhtred whispered. 

Brida looked to Khaana "I say we go and find young Ragnar." Brida offered. "He is in Ireland." Uhtred murmured "then we go to Ireland, Khaana could lead us right to him, He hears word she is there, and he will show. He follows her like a dog in heat." Brida pushed. "I...have heard from Ragnar. He won't be in Ireland long." Khaana said "we should wait here, his path heads for us eventually, we just need a place to wait safely. These forests won't do." she added.

"We just need to find someone who will keep us, if only for a little while, we can cut our hair...you can shave  and with Khaana we can pledge to serve a new lord until Ragnar comes back." Brida said. She looked  between Uhtred and Khaana with hope. "it can work." she added, Uhtred grimaced "any Dane would sooner kill us than be our master, word has spread like fire in a dead wood." Uhtred said.

"Brida." Khaana called softly, she rested her hand on the girl's shoulder and leaned her forehead to the side of Brida's head. "No, it can work, it could it has to." Brida murmured. "We are no longer Danes Brida..." Uhtred said. He watched Brida's eyes shimmer with water, she searched his eyes, and somewhere inside Brida felt he was right, though the very thought scared her more than anything else ever could.

Khaana nudged Brida, and quickly took the form of a horse again "I will carry you until we find a safe spot to rest, come Brida" she called to her.

Brida looked up at Khaana and climbed upon her back "it must be bad, you've never truly spoken to me before like this." Brida thought back to her. 

"You, Brida, are stubborn. You will not let your suffering known out loud and so, I need you to do so  silently, my mind is open to you whenever you need me. You're mine too, know that, always. I will keep you and Osbert safe, anyway I can." Khaana thought, the calmness in her words settling over Brida like a warm pelt of furs. Brida nodded and leaned forward giving the horse's neck a hug.

"It will be alright." Khaana promised.

______________________________________________________________

Through the evening, straight through night the three road on in search of a safe village. Dawn would break  soon, and Khaana followed at the side of Uhtred's horse as Brida slept upon her back. "Osbert, you are tired. You should rest, you will need all of your facilities should we hit a village." Khaana called. 

Uhtred glanced at her "I will not stop, it is more dangerous out here in the open fields than in the woods, we might have been followed, we can hide from them in the village." Uhtred said, through fluttering eyes. "I do not fear Ubba's men, out in the open.  you will fall from your horse at this rate. We camp out here and I will stand guard." Khaana reasoned.

Uhtred ignored her and Khaana let out a snort "boy, you will listen to me, I am not asking anymore. We will stop or you will go ahead without Brida and I." Khaana warned, an edge to her tongue. Uhtred smirked but halted his horse as he looked back at Khaana.

"You would not. You are not able to let me stray alone. You care too much and your heart is made of feathers." Uhtred teased. Khaana took true form, cradling Brida in her arms which caused Uhtred to chuckle "what?" Khaana asked. "You look like you ought to fall over" Uhtred said. "She's light," Khaana said an amused smile coming to her face, "I've carried wounded Dane men in my arms before, Brida is nothing." Khaana said.

Uhtred dismounted from his horse and unpacked thier bed rolls. Khaana gently lay Brida on the furs. "dawn is coming, we will do without fire, rest. I am watching." she urged.

Uhtred, rolled out his bedding and lay next to Brida. "you really contacted Ragnar?" Uhtred asked, watching Khaana's sillohette in the dark. "I did, I wanted him to hear the news from me, however I was too late." she said.

"did he, does he believe what other says?" Uhtred asked, she could hear concern dripping from every word. "you kill the man who saved you? no- Ragnar could never, you are his brother." Khaana sighed, she side glanced to Uhtred "but he will want to hear if from you, he will want to look in your eyes and see it for himself. No mater what bond you share, he will test the Saxon in you. but in his heart he will always believe the Dane you've become." Khaana added.

Uhtred smiled faintly "I miss the stubborn bastard, I haven't been called a wasp in ages it seems. I'd like to see him try to knock me down now." Uhtred said with a chuckle.

He looked up at Khaana who fell silent, "do you miss him, no ones every said anything but, there is a bond there. its evident to all." said Uhtred.

Khaana looked down at him "stop being nosey, Osbert, I can tell you are stalling so you do not have to sleep." she hummed. Uhtred settled down into the furs and turned to lay on his side, so that he might watch her.

"That wasn't an answer." He said.

Khaana exhaled "He drank of my blood before he left, so yes, we are bonded in a way." she said.

Uhtred shook his head, "That is not what I was asking and you know it. You won't tell me, and that tells me enough. Your pride gives all your secrets away Khaana," Uhtred gave a long yawn and rested his head, "he will win you over, its a battle you have already lost." he chuckled, with those words Uhtred closed his eyes and tried to find sleep.

Khaana sat in the grass and listened to the light breathing of her two wards, she waited until she was sure that they were well lost in thier dreams before releasing a long sigh. Her eyes scanned the sky and it's fading stars and the deep indigo blanket turned a gentle silver-blue.

"The question I've been left to answer is, was it a battle I ever wanted to win." she thought.

Once the sky had turned it's vivid blue, Khaana awoke the sleeping pair, "Oxnaforda, is not far from here." Khaana reported. "you searched?" Brida asked. "no I stayed, I send shadow hounds to be my eyes and look for me. It seems safe, for now." Khaana said. "then we head there, how far?" Uhtred asked "a couple of hours, we will come to a hill soon and find the village bellow it." she said.

Khaana continued to carry Brida, the great back horse trailing behind Uhtred as they continued on, the hill was in sight and from it's top, the three of them looked down upon the city. "what is it you wish for me to do Osbert? Do I show myself, or would another form be best?" she asked Uhtred.

"why ask me? you do as you please, I will not treat you as a slave." He said.

Khaana let out a bitter laugh.

"I am afraid it has been so long since I was let to roam freely, that I fear what may happen should I walk around as myself. I do not have the air of a mortal Osbert, others have always felt that I am different. but as a hound or a horse, i'm just another animal." Khaana murmured.

"then let them fear you, it will help us." Brida said.

Khaana smiled as Uhtred tilted his head towards Brida "she is not wrong, you two will take the horse and I will elad it tot he gates." Uhtred said.

Oxnaforda was a small bleak little village, Uhtred lead Brida and Khaana's through the street on his horse. Khaana's eyes scanned thier surroundings as people stared.  "they may fea rme but it is a lot of unwanted attention." Khaana muttered, though uneasy she made sure to look as if uneffected. If she wasn't bothered, they would have no reason to be either.

"but this will be a good place to hide, small, but busy. New faces are noticed, and while that means they will remember us, they will also remember anyone else who looks as if they do not belong." Khaana poke quietly. "which means they will not Danes or Saxons not of the area. should my uncle, Ubba or Kjartan find us." Uhtred said.

before long they came to a stable, Uhtred hitched the horse, "pay the stable master and find an Inn." He said after Khaana helped Brida down from the horse. "where are you going?" Brida asked. 

"to find a smith, ther eis something I need done, should anyone ask we are looking for work and Khaana is a slave we found lef to rott on the road." Uhtred said. Khaana nodded "you know how to reach me should trouble arise." She told him as they parted.

"are you sure you do not wish to share a room with Uhtred and I?" Brida asked, the two wemon stood before the Inn rooms, modest and open to the world but for a thin curtain. Khaana looked over to her room near the end of the row, "Uhtred will have...plans to keep you busy and my stomach will not stomach it. I won't be run out, its better that i've got a room to myself." Khaana chuckled. Brida smirked and shook her head "you are probably right." she sighed.

Khaana watched Brida carefully as her smile fell and she bit her lip.

"you'd not want that?" Khaana asked. Brida looke dup startled "no, no, it's not that..." Brida said quickly "because if he acts an ass...I can tell him-"

Brida covered Khaana's mouth and giggled "I could handle Uhtred just fine if he was...unkind in that way. it is not that..." Brida murmured. Khaana raised a brow and crossed her arms. "you have been quiet since we returned from Ubba. If you are bbother by what is going on-"

Brida shook her head and silenced Khaana again. "then what is it, child." Khaana siad, her words lighting coaxing Brida to speak.

"it's not Ubba, or the betrayal..." Brida sighed. Khaana waited quietly, eyes fixed ont he girl who gave a great big sigh again. "Storri...threw a curse, If I tell you he says it grow worse." Brida confessed.

Khaana dropped her arms,  and glared through to the horizon "then I go back, drag him here." Khaana said. "you can not it isn't safe, it may be what he wanted. Lure you back so Ubba can capture you again and make you his weapon as he has always wanted. I won't leave you to that." Brida said.

She ruffled her hair and looked out into the streets of Oxnaforda, "besides, drag him here and do what? they are already leery of us and torturing Storri won't help." Brida sighed.

Khaana chuckled "you think that is what I aim to do?" she asked Brida. 

Brida shrugged "isn't it?" she asked. "no, I would want to, yes. However, no." Khaana laughed softly. "He would be for you," Khaana said, her hands gently reached to caress the rope used to draw the curtain closed. "a rope around the neck, a cloth over his nose,  twist his neck," Khaana said in a whisper, she lightly caressed her own neck "crush the adam's apple." she added.

Brida looked at her in confusion, "or get a blunk obect, and swing for his heart, if it were Uhtred, i am sure his fist could be used, but for you, you will need help. whatever it is, you cannot, bring blood outside of his body, do not leav ehim with a single scar." Khaana whispered.

Brida shook her head "why tell me this?" she asked. Khaana sighed "to free yourself, should a curse be cast, you can only free yourself. it is the way it is done." Khaana said before walking off to find her room.

Khaana lay on the bed in her room, and closed her eyes "Osbert? you've been gone a while." She said contacted Uhtred. she could hear him chuckle in her mind. "I am fine, stop worrying, I just went to have a sword made with my amber. I will take back my lands, one way or another. I am headed back now." He said.

Khaana dropped the connection and plucked up another one.

"you leave me lingering too long and you make my gut hurt, is all well?" Ragnar said, his tone was one that was heavily annoyed. 

"I am ok, we all are for now. In hiding, Mercia, Oxnaforda, for now. " Khaana said. she could feel Ragnar sigh in relief, "but we are being hunted, and I am unsure of how long this village will be safe. Ubba would not hear Osbert we are out of preffable options at the moment." Khaana stated.

"perferable?" Ragnar questioned.

"There are other options aside from hidding in a tiny depressing village in Mercia. But Brida would not handle it well. If they cannot serve the danes, they are both of saxon blood, england will lie open to them." Khaana said. Ragnar quieted for a moment, from across the sea he watched his men make ready the ship, it seemed they could not do so fast enough.

"But you are not, and you're blood thirst is high for saxon blood." Ragnar said slowly.

"I will be fine, I have means to conceal myself until I feel it safe, I can controll my anger. Brida's spirit is broken by the thought of parting with the Danes, Osbert will press on no matter what." Khaana said. Ragnar frowned "and how will you fair?" he asked.

"somewhere the priest Osbert grew up with may still linger. we could try finding him, or at wrost I can try and bargan with Kjartan, he betrayed your father then surely he could do that same to Alferic, for a price." Khaana went on.

"I will not see you given to that kin traitor!" Ragnar's thoughts raged loudly.

Khana chuckled silently at his anger and her words traveled to him softer than she ment them to, "you would come for me." she hummed. 

Ragnar's anger defused and he exhaled, a small smiled ticking onto his lips.

"what was that?" he teased. "nothing I care to repeat." Khaana said quickly.

"when was hte last time you saw sleep?" Ragnar asked, "I can feel you tire from here."

Khaana opened her eyes, gazing with a void expression at hte ceiling "I don't remember, but I am fine, if things are calm I may sleep tonight." She said. 

One of Ragnar's men adressed him, "we are nearly ready to head out." the sword-dane said. Ragnar gave him a nod, and sent him on his way.

"I am needed we leave soon, don't leave me to linger, keep me informed when you can." He thought to Khaana before dropping the connection.

______________________________________________________________

Winchester, The Kingdom of Wessex

Alfred and Aelswith sat and enjoted a meal together, or at least one of them was "enjoying" it. the porrage like brother was white, soupy and gritty. Alfred ate quietly with a grimace about his face, while Aelswith ate with poise and grace.

Down the halls of the palace Father Beoca headed towards the Kings brother and his wife.

"More ale, my lord?" the servant girl chimmed softly, offering the pitcher over to Alfred while he ate. Aelswith watched the girl carefully as she hovered above her husband. "Just a little to take the taste away, yes." Alfred said as his cup was filled.

"You stand to close girl." Aelswith warned quietly.

The servant girl narrowed her eyes down at her slightly while Alfred took a sip of the ale, paying neither women much heed. "Prehapes it shall take away the taste of the guel..." Alfred muttered hopefully.

"I said you stand to close." Aelswith spoke again louder this time. Still the servant girl kept her eyes narrowed in annoyance, she had served int he castle for well over a year now, since her brother Leofric, Elderman Odda's guard, had put in a goodword for her and yet, this woman never once dared to utter her name.

"my name is Eadgyth...cow" The Servant girl thought to herself, as she bowed her head and quietly distanced herself from Alfred.

" it is not guel, it is broth." Aelswith replied to her husband. "is it? can we calll it that?" he asked looking at her, before frowning down at his meal once more. Aelswith smiled down at her food sheepishly "well, I think it is." she said with a soft laugh.  "you should be thanking God, for casting away those ugly cramps in your gut, for his goodness" she added, Alfred watched his smiling wife with a hint of a smile. he enjoyed hte times when she dared to be playful but they never lasted very long "I am happy to eat as you eat." Aelswith added. 

"You my dear, are my sanity." Alfred said.

Aelswith watched as Eadgyth quietly took her leave and Father Beoca entered in.

"Join us for breakfast Father Beoca, I dare you." Alfred teased pouring the gruel out of his spoon and back intot he plate. "alas, my lord, I have already eaten I'm afraid." Beoca said quickly with a smile. "how fortunate for you." Alfred murmured.

Beoca leaned down to Alfred's level near his ear " I am also afraid, I come with bad news." the priest sighed. Alfred turned to look at him his playfullness vanishing. "It is Aethelwold, your nephew..." beoca said with a sigh. Aelswith rolled her eyes "when isn't it, Aethelwold, Father." she muttered.

"He is sleeping in the gardens, he has had to much to drink, much to much...again" Beoca said, his eyes went from Alfred to Aelswith. "its the second time this week, the fourth time this month, should I take him tot he king?" Beoca asked.

Alfred watche dhim steadily and sighed a long heavy sigh, annoyance clear across his face. An experssion share with Aelswith who glaced up at Beoca in the midst of eating "I should hope that god shall strike him down painfully." she said.

In the hall Leofric stood ready for orders, in his hand a cup of mead, half empty which he sipped on while trying to enjoy the mornings peace. He spotted his sister heading towards him down the hall with a grimace on her face. "Eadgyth?" He questioned. "Just a bit of a hint, Father Beoca is going ot seek you out, prepare your your morning to be ruinned brother." She warned sqiftly passing him by. leofric sighed "Aethelwold?" he questioned.

Turning to look behind him Leofric indeed spotted Beoca now heading his way. "am I to drag the idiot boy our of the flowers again, Father." Leofric sighed, as Beoca nodded Leofric headed out towards the gardens.

There in sleeping on a low stone all was a young man, he resembled the king and snored loudly. Leofric marched up to him, and in a movement faster than anyone should expect from such a tall warrior, he kicked the young Aethling from his call and into the grass. the impact cause Aethelwold to groan and wake. "wh-what?" he asked stammering as his eyes took a while to focus on the hulking scowling soldier towering above him.

"get up on your feet boy." Leofric grummbled reaching down to yank Aethelwold to his feet. It had far to many times he been sent out to retrieve the kings drunken boy and Leofric was well tired of it. "wait! wait, wait wait!" Aehtelwold pleaded into the angry face, held up by the colar of his tunic. "come, Aethelwold the king wishes to speak to you." Beoca called.

Leofric dropped Aethelwold and allowed him to scurry free after Beoca. He watched the young man go and shook his head. It was hard for him to believe he'd been the kings son at all, if they'd not favored each other so much, he would have advised the King to question Aethelwold's breeding.

Leofric sighed, it was just another day in the Winchester palace. his eyes looked to the early morning sky, its colors looked so peaceful. He watched a group of nuns head into the halls, and spotted his sister returning with a jug of milk. "did he only get drunk? or did he also bed half the barmaids?" Leofric asked. Eadgyth have him  dry look and arched a brow "Wynflaed, Eaba and Modthryth in one night....together. the boy is...hungry and he shames the king." she whispered. 

Leofric shook his head "I am sorry I asked." He said. Eadgyth smirked "you're shy about such things consider how much time you spend at the taverns." she said. "Eaba talks about you, brother." she added. Leofric sniffled and looked away "I've no need for an alehouse whore beyond what I pay her for. I'm a warrior i've no time for anything more." He said.

Eadgyth giggled and continued on her way "keep tell yourself that, you're lonely and one day you'll change your mind. Pick the one that can actually get you to smile, when you do." she added, vanishing into the palace halls. 

"Leofric! a hand please!" Beoca called as Aethelwold could be heard creating a fuss up the halls.  Without a word Leofric went to find them and drag the boy to his father,

"Drunk!" the king roared, looking down at his son, who stood  mouth ajar as his father berated him infront of a small audience. Behind him stood Elderman Odda. the kigns gaze was harsh, and he looked more distraught than the many times before this situation had been played out. "do you find this fit behavior?" the king asked. 

King Aethelred  turned to the small crowd and in his anger his raised voice was more of a yell as he shouted "all of you, will leave us!"

At his words no man hesitated and in ahurry fled the room, all but Elderman Odda the Elder, whom served as the kings best advisor, and a very displease Leofric who was still trying to figure out why lord Odda had requested his presence in the first place. Aethelwold was rowdy but Odda as old as he was could hold him in the room just fine on his own as could the king, they boy was no fighter.

"do you find this fit?" King Aethelred repeated, "I have been loathsomely mistreated!" Aethelwold whimpered. " Y-you saw it! I- you sa wit all for yourself!" He stammered quickly under his fathers displeased gaze. Aethelwold glanced behind him at the scowling Leofric "and I-I demand this, this...Bear...be punished for his cruelty to my person!" he shouted pointing a shaking finger towards the soldier.

The king however was unmoved, in the the stillness of the quiet room, looked at his son halfheartedly. " Your years do not hide the fact that you are a grievous disapointment, Aethelwold." he murmured, ignoring the whining boys plight.

"and may I ask why?" Aethelwold asked with pointed words, "that you need to ask only proves  it, and tell your father all that he would need to know." Odda spat, coming out of his silence. Odda didn't take kindly to the boy trying to turn everything around on his loyal retainer. 

Leofric, stood quietly, itching for the moment he would kindly be dismissed form the spectical of the ignorant child.

"what would that be?" Aethelwold asked. 

"That you are not a sutable heir!" King Aethelred barked. 

Aethelwold raised his brows as he face paled slightly "then I will change." He said gulping. "as you should" The King shot back. "I will," said Aethelwold. The king saw how his son was fretting and sighed, stepping forward he held  Aethelwold by his shoulders. "all I ask is that you become a man, and do so quickly. for my sake and the kingdoms." King Aethelred said calmly. Aethelwold searched his fathers eyes "I will, father.  Today, even. I promise...today." he said.

Aethelwold glanced between his father, Lord Odda and Leofric. the king released him and sighed. He could see in the boys eyes that he held no meaning to his words, they were just to sooth his rage. "am I, can I be excused?" Aethelwold asked. The King sighed again, and Odda shared a disapointed glance with Leofric as the king gestured for the boy to take his leave.

Aethelwold gave a slight bow of his head "my lords" he said befpre turning to leave, he brushed by Leofric who with a sharp turn followed after him, lightly shoving him out the room.

Odda nad the King glanced at each other before taking seats aorund the fire to warm themselves. "with each day that passes, I am less sure that he is my son." The king murmured.

"had his mother still been alive I'd take her head for adultery." he said in jest. Odda chuckled softly and took a seat next ot the king.  The fires in the small pit danced around, cracking softly in a cold quiet. King Aethelred gazed into the flames deep in thought. 

"if I am to fall in the coming battles, he mustn't take the throne." He said clearly, "you favor Alfred?" Odda asked un suprised. The king nodded "I do, Aethelwold cannot take the throne." said King Aethelred. "even though his body is weak?" Odda asked. " Alfred's illness has not bound him to his bed, shows my great strenght of my brother." said the king.

King Aethelred turned to Odda with resolve, "Alfred will be my heir and he know this." he said. Odda nodded please with the king's choice, Aethelred rested a hand over Odda's arm and gave it an encouraging shake. "when the time comes, I will be trusting in you to lead the Witan to making that choice, Odda." he said to him. "my lord." Odda said with a nod, silence fell over the room again but a peace lingered as the flames danced on in the early morning and two old warriors sought a short break of quiet calm.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

My England By ᐃᓐᓄᒐᑎ

Historical Fiction

2.5K 195 43
Book 1 A Legend Of Blood And Love - An abandoned frail boy left to die in the forest of Jørrghimmyer was found by the Kæl prince Siftrethörn who carr...
17.5K 502 44
Part one of The Mórrigan's Wolf series, a The Last Kingdom Fanfic Series. Featuring Finan and a female OC Faoladhean (FAY-luh-yin) is part of one of...
29K 1.8K 10
She was a dream, the calm in the storm, since being a babe, the youngest of her siblings, Young Ragnar, Uhtred and Thyra. A girl much too gentle, her...
747 33 7
As a child, Estrilda fled Danish invaders in Bebbanburg and settled in Wessex. She lived an unassuming life as a healer until the return of her broth...