Tiger, Tiger

By I-ate-Narnia

Alexis Matthews is a shifter, a member of the most coveted pack on Earth. With Alpha's blood flowing in an Om... More

Tiger, Tiger: Prologue
Tiger, Tiger: Chapter 1
Tiger, Tiger: Chapter 2
Tiger, Tiger: Chapter 3
Tiger, Tiger: Chapter 4
Tiger, Tiger: Chapter 5
Tiger, Tiger: Chapter 6
Tiger, Tiger: Chapter 7
Tiger, Tiger: Chapter 8
Tiger, Tiger: Chapter 9
Tiger, Tiger: Chapter 10
Tiger, Tiger: Chapter 11
Tiger, Tiger: Chapter 12
Tiger, Tiger: Chapter 12 - Part 2
Tiger, Tiger: Chapter 13
Tiger, Tiger: Chapter 14
Tiger, Tiger: Chapter 16
Tiger, Tiger: Chapter 17
Tiger, Tiger: Chapter 18
Tiger, Tiger: Chapter 19
Tiger, Tiger: Chapter 20
Tiger, Tiger: Chapter 21
Tiger, Tiger: Chapter 22
Tiger, Tiger: Chapter 23
Tiger, Tiger: Chapter 24
Tiger, Tiger: Chapter 25
Tiger, Tiger: Chapter 26
Tiger, Tiger: Chapter 27... The End

Tiger, Tiger: Chapter 15

42.6K 1K 94
By I-ate-Narnia

Hellllloooo! I am SO HAPPY! 

I got on the front page and to 111 on what's hot! I can't believe it! Thank you to all my fans, new and old, and for all the comments and votes. It means so much to me! 

I'm still a bit dazed at how people are enjoying this n__n 

I hope you enjoy this chapter and have a brilliant New Year :D xxxx

....................................................................................

A long time must have passed. It was impossible to judge how long in this plain white room. My tired body insisted that it must have been at least a week, but my mind knew that that was ridiculous. No scientists came to test on me and Simon never did return, not even for his clipboard. Food was slipped in occasionally through a hatch in the door, but I only played with it for want of an appetite until it was pulled out once again.

I was caught between a mixture of self loathing for being so blind and horrible, bouts of claustrophobia and possibly madness from seeing nothing but white for hours upon end. I missed and worried about the others with an intensity that threatened to swallow me. I knew the humans were watching me, probably very pleased with themselves, as I reacted in such a fashion, pacing the room. So I decided to just to sit in the corner, close my eyes, and escape into my father’s nightmare.

* * *

I was aware of something touching my hair and I jerked awake, shooting into a sitting position and throwing out a fist. Instantly I regretted the decision as waves of pain spread across my aching body. I blinked drowsily and looked around to see what had woken me.  My fist had not connected with anything.

Simon was crouched in front of me, a little further away this time, balancing on the balls of his feet. The shirt beneath his white coat had changed so a day at least must have passed. I rubbed my face and scooted backwards, pressing right into the corner. A low, warning growl escaped my lips. It was a noise that would have told another shifter to back off and give me space. Simon didn’t move an inch.

“What do you want?” I growled again, “Aren’t I supposed to be in isolation?” My voice felt raw having been unused for some time. I didn’t want to talk to this strange man if he was supporting this ridiculous cause. Sure, he pretended to offer his friendship but it was too intense and too close for me to handle.

His brow creased. “You were. That was until you refused two days worth of food and water. It’s dangerous for your health so we had no choice but to pause the experiment.”

“You haven’t sent Tom to chastise me then? I thought that was his job,” I retorted with a snap. My words seemed to have no distinction from each thought. Maybe I was suffering from lack of food? I tried, however, to ignore the tray of it that I could see behind him.

“His job is to keep things running smoothly around here, and if that means reprimanding people who misbehave, kitty, then that’s what he’ll do.”

I bit back another snarl. “Please do not call me that.”

“What? Kitty?” he smiled impishly, making his young form seem even younger, “Don’t you think that it’s fitting?” His hazel eyes glittered and it made the hairs rise on my arms.

“Not from you,” I replied.

“Why do you hate me so much? I haven’t hurt you,” he frowned.

Anger flared in my chest like a match being lit. “Why would I like you? You didn’t think twice about hurting Alexander, did you? Or about taking the rest of my family away from their homes? About poking us with needles and stealing our secrets?”

"I’m not in control of any of this. I just follow orders-”

“-Tom’s orders?” I cut in with distaste, “He is one of the most awful people I have ever met. You follow his orders, and that is why I dislike you. You have no right to do this to us. None.”

“This work is all I know!” he exclaimed, throwing his hands into the air, “It’s always been my life. My father cares more about this than he does anything – anyone – else!” I saw a flash of something in his eyes that looked like sadness.

"Your father?” I asked, brow furrowing. I rubbed my forehead to keep my temper down.

“Yes, my father. Your species is all he speaks about. He lives you, breathes you.”

“Who is he though?”

“Tom.”

That singular name was a response that shocked me more than Simon’s touch. “Tom is your father. That Tom. Him?” I gasped.

Disgust flooded through me, followed shortly by surprise and then finally pity. No wonder he was so strange. With such a messed up person for a father and growing up in a place like this, no kid had a chance. I didn’t worry for Camille; she had a wonderful mother and a family of devoted weres and shifters, but Simon did not. I doubted that a place like this had toys and safe places to play like a child would have back at the forest. He was a boy thrust into an adult’s world filled with horror.

My anger dissipated from me like steam that left a chill on my skin. “Why don’t you say no?” I said quietly, “Leave and never turn back. Just because he’s your father it doesn’t mean you have to be him.” My words were ones I had only realised myself recently.

“This work could save people’s lives. There is no greater thing I could be doing with my own life,” he recited with the practiced perfection of a child groomed to follow orders. It made the anger boil within me once again though. The pity for Simon was still there, but I hated how blind he was being.

“Human lives, Simon,” I snarled, “You might be saving human lives, but you’re willing to sacrifice us in the process, to hurt little children? We were perfectly happy to stay hidden away, living our lives without needles stuck in our arms. Part of me is animal, but I have just as many human rights as you do. Freedom is one of those.”

“But what if, say... your blood could save someone dying from cancer? Or your DNA could heal someone in a car accident before they died of blood loss?” he countered.

“Then we should have the right to choose whether or not we help them. Our lives are worth just as much as theirs.”

“You don’t have to die for them!” he exclaimed, drawing closer and making me retreat back against the wall, “We’re not going to kill you or let you die.”

“Some would say that this life here is worse than dying,” I snarled, remembering Sally’s words.

They’re not kind enough to kill us.

He made an exasperated noise. “Whatever,” he spat with a harshness I did not expect of him, “There’s no point trying to explain this to you. All I’ve tried to do is help you and you’ve thrown it all back in my face.”

“Like the chocol-” I began, before he shoved his hand roughly over my mouth. I jolted back in surprise, hitting my head against the wall, and went to claw the hand away from my face. Crimson circles danced across my eyes as I tried. He held on too tightly.

“Don’t mention that out loud,” he hissed, too close to me for comfort, “I’ll be severely reprimanded if anyone finds out.” He pulled his hand away and I wiped my mouth. “When I went to erase the part of the tape where I thought you would have eaten it, all I saw was you throwing it aside. Luckily it went under my clipboard, but still, all I wanted was to help you. You can trust me,” he pleaded, bambi eyes wide.

“Your kind has given me no reason to trust you. No offering of sweets is going to change that,” I growled. I didn’t want him to think he was on my side. Sure, I wouldn’t hurt him for the small kindnesses he had shown me, but if he were really trying to help me then I would have been out of this place by now.

Simon opened his mouth, as if to reply, when a shrill beeping sounded instead of his voice. His clenched fists moved to the pager at his pocket and he briefly scanned its display. As he did so I realised that this fragile boy could be my escape. No other scientist I had met had been so willing to talk to me without shocking me into submission first, and no other scientist would be as likely to make a mistake.

“It seems they want you back with the others,” he read, and then stuffed the pager back into his pocket, “It doesn’t seem this experiment is producing enough conclusive or interesting results to continue. They have other things planned instead.” A shiver ran down my spine at the thought, but at least I would be able to see if my mishmash pack were safe. My heartbeat fluttered.

Simon quickly pushed himself back to his feet looking sullen. A thought struck me. “Did you develop this experiment, Simon?” I asked, curious.

“Yes and it isn’t good enough,” was all he said before he turned and stalked to the door, quickly unlocking it somehow. He was upset at not pleasing his horrible father, and that meant he would be distracted and moody, as I knew he could be when something agitated him. He gestured for me to follow.

As I pushed myself onto to shaky and unused legs, my eyes caught the keys that dangled in Simon’s back pocket. A little lightbulb flickered on in my head. Drawing the door open, they jingled tantalisingly with his steps, our ticket to freedom just hanging there. If these collars were taken off and our doors unlocked then the humans would be powerless to stop our escape. Those keys, right in reach, could do all of that.

I padded quickly up to him, closing the distance between us, but not so much that he would think it suspicious. I hoped that he wouldn’t hear my heartbeat as it slammed frantically against my ribcage, threatening to burst free. We passed out of the room full of monitors that now showed only blank space and I took my chance while we were alone. My breath caught in my throat.

I snatched the keys out, ducking down and lithely pick pocketing him. They made the slightest jingle as I pulled them free, before I crushed them against my chest and waited for him to turn and all hell to break loose.

A moment later he still hadn’t turned and I let my tense muscles slack. I let out a shaky breath of relief and the thrill of anticipation. My pulse pounded in my head till the rhythm drowned out every other noise.

Simon had literally given me the keys to our freedom.

.......................................................................................................................

Squeal! The happiness hasn't worn off yet. I don't think it will for a while :3

I hope you enjoyed this chapter. Let me know with VOTES, COMMENTS and FANS! I appreciate every single one :) xxx

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

220K 7.2K 40
Alexi is your average high school junior. He gets good enough grades, he has an amazing best friend, and his family is super caring. But, there is a...
13.9K 726 56
Hi this is Sonakshi and this is my first ever fan fiction love story. I hope you'll like it. Here's the short description of the story : Marco and...
346K 13.7K 24
This book is a sequel to His Miracle Mate. *** **** *** Orla learns the secret of her ancestry, a secret that will make her a target if reveal...
9.4K 300 14
"Do you remember when we used to look up at the stars?" "I'm looking at the most beautiful star right now." "You sure ? because you're looking at me...