𝐒𝐈𝐆𝐍 𝐎𝐅 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐓𝐈𝐌𝐄...

By cardiiac

⠀ ━━━ ⠀⠀❛ 𝒔𝒊𝒈𝒏 𝒐𝒇 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒕𝒊𝒎𝒆𝒔 ❜ 〔 WRITING TIPS 〕✷ ╱... More

𖩩 ┊ ❝ 𝐒𝐈𝐆𝐍 𝐎𝐅 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐓𝐈𝐌𝐄𝐒 ❞
⠀𝗂𝗇𝗍𝗋𝗈𝖽𝗎𝖼𝗍𝗂𝗈𝗇
𝐕𝐎𝐋 𝒊 ━━━ WRITING TIPS
⠀⠀¹ write the book you wish you could read
⠀⠀² said is actually dead
⠀⠀³ grammar and punctuation
⠀⠀⁴ how to write a bomb description
⠀⠀⁵ do your research, please
⠀⠀⁶ how to keep a story "entertaining"
⠀⠀⁷ flavorful character tropes
⠀⠀⁸ messy timelines/continuity errors
⠀⠀⁹ plot holes! fill them!
⠀⠀¹⁰ what NOT to do
⠀⠀¹¹ writing fight scenes
⠀⠀¹² don't edit as you go
⠀⠀¹³ tips on creating an outline
⠀⠀¹⁴ how to stop from publishing a new story
⠀⠀¹⁵ writing emotional scenes
⠀⠀¹⁶ increasing story tension
⠀⠀¹⁷ writing facial features
⠀⠀¹⁸ 35 plot twist & cliffhanger ideas
⠀⠀¹⁹ writer's block
⠀⠀²⁰ do's and don'ts
⠀⠀²¹ ending a story
𝐕𝐎𝐋 𝒊𝒊 ━━━ DEVELOPING CHARACTERS
⠀⠀²² how to create an oc
⠀⠀²⁴ things you should know about your characters
⠀⠀²⁵ how to write a good backstory
⠀⠀²⁶ character flaws
⠀⠀²⁷ creating depth & development
⠀⠀²⁸ reasons to kill a character
⠀⠀²⁹ the ultimate guide to villains
⠀⠀³⁰ writing in character
⠀⠀³¹ the perfectionist
⠀⠀³² stop with the mary sue's
⠀⠀³³ how to write character deaths
⠀⠀³⁴ writing female empowerment that doesn't feel forced
⠀⠀³⁵ the chosen one cliche
⠀⠀³⁶ why diversity in literature matters
⠀⠀³⁷ stories that are character-driven
𝐕𝐎𝐋 𝒊𝒊𝒊 ━━━ AESTHETICS
⠀⠀³⁸ intro to aesthetics
⠀⠀³⁹ symbols & fonts
⠀⠀⁴⁰ my app recommendations

⠀⠀²³ unique names

9.3K 128 41
By cardiiac

˒⠀S O T T . . . 𝙲𝙰𝚁𝙳𝙸𝙸𝙰𝙲

○○○○●○○○○
❛ JUST 𝑺𝑻𝑶𝑷 YOUR CRYING,
IT'S A 𝑺𝑰𝑮𝑵 OF THE 𝑻𝑰𝑴𝑬𝑺.

unique names! ━━ no. 023
▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

     ONE OF THE FIRST CHALLENGES ANY AUTHOR FACES WHEN CREATING A CHARACTER IS DECIDING THEIR NAME. Most writers don't want their characters to have basic names that are common in society. Sometimes they want something completely different and new, or something that is more historical and unique. No matter what type of name we want, we all come across the struggle of finding and deciding what name fits best.

     Now, I'm not going to make an incredibly long chapter on naming characters. Rather, I'm going to give you my top 3 tips when it comes to choosing a unique name for your character(s).

     Let's get started!

     ˏˋ°•*⁀➷ 𝟎𝟏. 𝐔𝐒𝐄 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐈𝐍𝐓𝐄𝐑𝐍𝐄𝐓: 𝑹𝑬𝑺𝑶𝑼𝑹𝑪𝑬𝑺 𝑻𝑶 𝑯𝑬𝑳𝑷 𝒀𝑶𝑼 𝑮𝑬𝑻 𝑺𝑻𝑨𝑹𝑻𝑬𝑫 ⸝⸝ ⇗
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀→ ⺌ This section is inspired by rptheme-helper on Tumblr. Credit for this portion goes to them. Disclaimer: I have added my own words, advice, and paraphrased sections of the article.

          The task of naming a new character can be really daunting and stressful. Especially if you're a perfectionist and want the perfect name. Here's a compiled list of resources that might make the process a little easier!

          ╰─── Lists. "On the Internet, you can run wild at Behind The Name, or for American-born characters, you can also browse the Social Security Name Database, which lists the most popular names in order. Google is also your best friend! Try searching "baby names" or "popular names in [insert country/region/culture]". You also come across these lists in real life; at schools, at work, at camps, at weddings, and at dinner parties."

          ╰─── Film & TV Credits. "There are literally hundreds of names you can choose from. You can mix and match or just blindly write them down as the black screen rolls on. If you are having difficulty with naming a character from a certain ethnicity, find a film that originated from that country and, boom, a full list to choose from. Obviously, you don't have to download the whole film to just read the credits, you can get the full cast and crew from IMDB."

          ╰─── Street Names. "Generally speaking, if it can be used as a street name, you should be able to use it for your character's name. Apart from places like the numbered streets of Manhattan, or certain districts (like Broadway or Chinatown), you can use street names as a starting point, and most of the time they make great surnames. Try using Google Maps if you're stuck."

          ╰─── Name Generators. "If you're spending too much time on a name, just use a generator. You can easily search these up on Google! You don't want to waste too much time and you can always change it later."

     ˏˋ°•*⁀➷ 𝟎𝟐. 𝐌𝐀𝐊𝐄 𝐒𝐔𝐑𝐄 𝐘𝐎𝐔𝐑 𝐍𝐀𝐌𝐄 𝐂𝐎𝐍𝐍𝐄𝐂𝐓𝐒 𝐓𝐎 𝐒𝐎𝐌𝐄𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐍𝐆 ⸝⸝ ⇗
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀→ ⺌ This section is inspired by rptheme-helper on Tumblr and Sandra Gerth's blog. Credit for this portion goes to them. Disclaimer: I have added my own words, advice, and paraphrased sections of the article.

          A lot of authors, myself included, like for their character's name to have some sort of meaning or cultural relevance behind it. These are just two tips when it comes to giving a name meaning. You want your character's name to connect to the setting of the story, the time period, culture, etc.

          ╰─── Time Period/Era. "Research the era your character was born. Just because something is popular or socially acceptable now, does not mean it was fifty, a hundred, or two hundred years ago."

          ╰─── Ethnicity & Culture. "Likewise, where the character was born is also important. There might be traditions when it comes to naming their children. Or some cultures may avoid using certain words or sounds. When picking names for your characters, keep their cultural and ethnic backgrounds in mind."

          ╰─── Personality. When picking a name, make sure to find a name that does well with your character's personality! "People often associate certain personality traits with a name. For example, Mara evokes different associations than Brooke, and Zeke implies a different personality than Alexander. Names with hard consonants such as t or k will more often be associated with strong personalities, while vowels such as a and softer consonants such as d or l might convey a more agreeable, warmer personality."

     ˏˋ°•*⁀➷ 𝟎𝟑. 𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐍𝐆𝐒 𝐓𝐎 𝐀𝐕𝐎𝐈𝐃 ⸝⸝ ⇗
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀→ ⺌ This section is inspired by Write It Sideways. Credit for this portion goes to them. Disclaimer: I have added my own words, advice, and paraphrased sections of the article.

          Like with most things, there are things you should and shouldn't do when it comes to naming characters. Although these are things recommended to avoid, you do not have to listen to or abide by these suggestions. Your character's name is solely up to you and your creative freedom!

          ╰─── Names that don't fit. This is probably the biggest naming dilemma. You don't want to saddle your character with an inappropriate name. So, be aware of the following considerations:

           ➳❥ Names with certain connotations or meanings: What are the first images you conjure upon hearing the names "Vlad," "Heathcliff," or "Scarlett"? Don't be too worried about the subliminal meaning of the names you choose, but do consider common perceptions. You wouldn't name a shy and conservative character "Lolita."
           ➳❥ Names from the wrong era: "Hayley" or "Jaiden" would be inappropriate names for characters in a historical book.
           ➳❥ Names from the wrong culture: An Italian probably wouldn't be named "William," and an Englishman wouldn't suit "Pasquale."
           ➳❥ Names that detract from the character's image: I don't know about you, but a villain named "Benjamin" or "Timothy" just wouldn't convince me.

          The only good reason to name your character something that doesn't fit is if you're being deliberately ironic, or if some element of your plot demands it.

          ╰─── Names that are too difficult to pronounce. "There's not much point in naming a character something no one will be able to pronounce. It's fine to choose something uncommon (or even something you made up), so long as it can be sounded out. Alternatively, if you want to use something that isn't spelled phonetically, make sure it's common enough that people will recognize it. Another pitfall to avoid is naming your character something that could be pronounced in more than one way. For example, "Briony" from Ian McEwan's can be pronounced BRI-o-nee or BREE-o-nee or Bree-O-nee."

          ╰─── Names that are too similar. "If your story has more than just a few key characters, you want to make it very easy for your reader to distinguish between them. That's why you should avoid using names that sound too similar:

           ➳❥ Similar beginnings: Readers might be confused by a "Cathy" and a "Cynthia," or a "Richard" and a "Roger" in the same story.
           ➳❥ Similar endings: Avoid giving your characters names that end the same way, like "Madison" and "Jason," or worse yet, names that rhyme, like "Shelley" and "Kelly."
           ➳❥ Repeated vowel sounds: "Janeen," "Lee," and "Edith" all share a long 'e' sound. This can be tiring for the ear.
           ➳❥ Similar length: You'd be confused too if you had to read a book about "Bob," "Ted," and "Joe." How would you keep them all straight in your mind?

          "Now, before you go and say you're writing about a set of twins, just remember: names can have a similar feel without sounding alike. For example, "Matthew" and "Luke," (both names from the Bible) or "Ava" and "Bette," (both Hollywood film actresses). Keep in mind, you want your characters to stand out as individuals, not meld in your readers' minds."

     I hope these were all helpful and if you have any questions or want more tips on this topic, let me know!

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

❛ THEY TOLD ME THAT 𝑻𝑯𝑬 𝑬𝑵𝑫
IS 𝑵𝑬𝑨𝑹, WE GOTTA GET 𝑨𝑾𝑨𝒀
FROM 𝙷𝙴𝚁𝙴.
○○○○○○○○●

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

28.5K 657 31
An Original Justin Bieber x Reader. Y/N has been dreaming of meeting her dream guy her whole life. Well, that guy may just be Justin Bieber himself...
1.5K 68 5
(No art is mine unless claimed to be) Read to find out what happens! I ain't giving spoilers
18.4K 386 22
Once it had been love, but with the coronation, so much changed and that in a direction that was difficult to put into words. In the following years...
2.7K 18 5
new and improved! if you want to roleplay with any of my ocs, simply pm me <3