Rose

By babyXvee

Rose never had the ambition or the confidence Lily had. She was always living in the shadow and was always be... More

01
02
03
04
05
06
07
08
09
10
11.
12.
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
21
22
23
24
25
Lily

20

354 7 0
By babyXvee

20.

Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns; I am thankful that thorns have roses. - Alphonse Karr

There was one thing I knew I had to do, I had to talk to Jason. I wasn't angry at him or anything and I know I should be...but I'm not. Yes I am a little bit disappointed in him for not telling me the truth from the very beginning. But everyone has their secrets that they don't want to share...however I just thought that we agreed to be completely honest with each other even though we're not engaged anymore. The talk with Jason can wait though since he is out of the country and I think I've had enough information in my brain to fit anymore.

I sighed quietly to myself as I sat inside Aiden's office. Aiden had called me earlier in the morning to ask me to come over. But Aiden is currently in a meeting...actually since he didn't go to Germany as planned, his business was delayed. So instead of going to Germany himself, he catered all fifteen businessmen in his private jet that he was supposes to meet back here. I stared out into the city from Aiden's office as I waited. On the bright side, Luke was here to keep me company on his boss's order.

"He should be done soon." Luke was sitting across from me with a grin on his face.

I've always like Luke because he has such an awesome personality. He can be serious when he needs to be but he knew how to be outgoing and fun despite being with a boss like Aiden every day.

"Okay," I replied. Luke continued to grin and his arm was resting on the back of the sofa. I arched an eyebrow and thinned my lips. That grin of his is starting to bother me a little bit. "Why are you grinning at me like that?"

"Oh nothing," The grin widened. "I'm just happy that the employees here don't have to feel much of Aiden's wrath anymore."

"Is he that bad to the employees?" I asked.

"He's bad but he's gotten a lot better since you've been in his life." He chuckled. "I still can't believe what you did to that man."

"I don't think I did anything to him."

"You give yourself too little credit you know." He replied. "That man never smiles and I've been his friend for a very long time Rose. He has always been so isolated and strict with himself that makes it hard for others to approach him. I swear that man didn't have any emotions...besides anger...I see that way too often with him." He shivered in fear and I laughed softly.

"How long have you known Aiden?" I asked.

"Since college." He replied. "We were studying different majors as I was in law and he was in business. I have no idea how we even met but we did and we've been friends since then."

"I still can't believe you're a lawyer, I mean what is your job title?" He laughed.

"Superman."

"I would believe that." I laughed. "You're his lawyer, his assistant, his chauffeur, and what else are you that I don't know?"

"Well he's my side kick when I save the world and stuff..." He continued his joke and I rolled my eyes. "I'm just kidding, but that's all I really do."

"That's all? I'm sure that's enough for one man to do." I replied. "You're a lawyer but how did you end up an assistant as well?"

"Well Aiden pays me well that's a given but Aiden graduated earlier than I did and by the time I graduated I was a poor graduate with student loans in desperate need of a job. I was lucky enough to have found a small law firm and I learned enough of the basics. But I wanted something bigger, something more and since the firm I worked at was small, it didn't have much potential.  I worked there for nearly a year and that was when Aiden asked if I wanted to join him since his company was starting to take off. At first I was hired to be his company lawyer and he didn't have an assistant to manage most of his things. He handled everything by himself back then and I thought he was going to die from lack of sleep or stress. Since there was only so much I could do as a lawyer, I decided to help him out a little bit and well I've been stuck with the job ever since."

"It's nice to know that Aiden has such a great friend with him."

"And it's nice to know that the man is in love and isn't always firing someone every day." I gasped.

"He fires someone every day?!" He laughed.

"Only the useless people who clearly doesn't know how to do their jobs. That's why a lot of the executives are always on their toes, Aiden doesn't care if they're a high ranked employee, if they did something wrong, it's game over for them."

"But what about Ellen?" I asked, remembering that Ellen once worked for Aiden a couple of months ago until she was let go.

"Aiden only meets with the executives or head departments Rose, Ellen was someone he probably would have never known if it wasn't for you."

"But that's so wrong," I protested. "Aiden's company wouldn't be what it is without them! He should treat them with more respect and kindness." He smirked.

"Yes I agree with you, sometimes his foul aura and persona make others fear him but I told you Rose, he's changed because of you. He's been taking time to look and help his employees."

"Oh really?" Luke nodded.

"Yes really. Don't you find it weird that Aiden was at Jane's wedding? He wanted to personally congratulate her." My mouth dropped, I would have never expected Aiden to be so... I have no words to express myself with. "Ever since you two split six months ago, he's been nicer to the employees, greeting and acknowledging them in the lobby. He even took the time to get to know some of them whenever he had the chance. Of course it freaked the employees more than when he ignored them but as his friend, it was nice to see."

"I would have never expected that from him."

"I know, see Rose you've changed him for the better." I blushed at the thought that I made such a big impact on Aiden.

"So that's why you have that ridiculous grin on your face." I pointed out and he grinned once again which looked a lot like Cheshire cat. "Then you must know a lot about Aiden right? I realized that I don't really know a lot about his past and his family." His grin disappeared and was replaced with a more serious expression on his face.

"I'm sure Aiden would have no problem discussing his past with you but-" He paused and he decided not to continue.

"But?" I waited and he sighed.

"He doesn't really enjoy talking about his family."

That was the catch. Not everyone is lucky to have a loving family growing up. There are those out there that experienced hardship when they were younger and Aiden was no exception. Just because he is probably the most wanted bachelor and a very wealthy man, he became what he is today with his own two hands and that is something not everyone could do. He must have a past where he didn't want anyone to know about. But the world is scary, he made such a name for himself, there must be something on the Internet about him isn't there?

"I think it's best if you ask him that yourself." Luke continued as if he has read my thoughts. Or he probably just knew I was curious about Aiden's past. "I'm sure he'll feel comfortable talking to you about it."

"Is it really bad?" I asked, mentally preparing myself and Luke shrugged his shoulders.

"It really depends on what you define as bad Rose."

"In your opinion, does he have a bad relationship with his family?"

"Yes it's bad but-" He paused again and I was starting to get a bit irritated at him for always stopping at the most important part...just a teeny bit.

"Please stop stopping in the middle of your sentences Luke." I pouted and he smiled.

"But he really cares for his sister. He just doesn't know how to show his emotions very well as you know. But like I said Rose, I'm sure he'll feel comfortable talking to you about it." He has a sister?! Now that is a shocker, I wanted to ask Luke more questions but he's right, I should ask Aiden myself. There wasn't much I could think about anymore, there no use of assuming what might have happened to him. It's not like something crazy happened to him in the past right? Like being in a mafia group but somehow Aiden gotten out and his mother stayed behind or something like that. This isn't a god damn fictional story or was it a movie, I'm sure it's not that bad.

"Well do you know why Aiden asked me to come here?" I decided to change the subject. "He called me here but I've been waiting for an hour." I pouted.

"Yes I do know but you know there's no way I'll be telling you if I want to keep my head. And I'm sure he just gotten held behind, he is a very busy man." He winked and I arched an eyebrow.

"I still can't believe he catered all fifteen businessmen to come here on his private jet." I shook my head in disbelief. "He could have dealt with business there and I would have talked to him when he came back! What the heck is that man thinking?"

"That's an easy question." Luke snorted. "He was thinking about you." Okay, I suck at arguments and I have absolutely nothing to say to counter it except for blushing."You've got to understand how important you are to him Rose," Luke pointed out. "He felt guilty for what he's done and believe me when I say this...that man never regrets what he's done."

"But still," I bit the bottom of my lips. "The talk was going to happen regardless, I'm sure waiting another week or so wouldn't make a difference." He laughed so hard as if I was joking.

"Oh you'll be surprised Rose. I'm sure if he went to Germany he would be so ruthless. He's been starting to invest into Germany and companies all over the country are interested in partnering up with him. He already decided which two companies he was interested in without giving the other smaller companies a chance, hence there are fifteen businessmen here now. Plus you'll be saving me too."

"I'll be saving you from what?"

"Aiden." He chuckled. "You'll be saving my ears from his constant worries. Do you know how anxious he's been after you told him you were going to talk to him whenever you're ready? He was so afraid of leaving the country because he didn't want to miss you. So of course you decided to visit just when he was about to board his plane to Germany. Did you do it on purpose or something?"

"No!" I exclaimed, "Of course not, how the heck would I know his schedule?"

"Well do you want to?" Luke leaned forward to pick up the iPad that was sitting on the coffee table. "You know I can give you his schedule, I'm sure he wouldn't mind."

"No! I don't need his schedule, I already know how busy he is." I protested and Luke chuckled. I knew he was just teasing me and I couldn't believe I fell right into it. He locked the screen on the iPad and placed it back onto the table.

"If you know how busy he is, just think about how important you are to him." My heart flustered at the thought of knowing that even though I subconsciously knew it. It was like I needed someone to tell me how important I am to him. I bit my lips nervously and furrowed my eyes at Luke.

"I like you Luke, but sometimes I do hate you." He laughed.

"Don't worry I'm sure Aiden thinks the exact same sometimes." He replied.

"What do I think about?" We heard Aiden's voice and we haven't even realized the door opening because we were so into our conversation.

I haven't seen Aiden since we got together at the hotel and that was only two days ago. I can't believe how much I missed him that just looking at him makes my heart beat ten times faster. He was in a navy suit with a white dress shirt and a red tie. His jacket was unbuttoned and he stood in the middle of his office watching the two of us. Luke casually leaned back against the sofa and looked over his shoulder with a smirk on his face.

"Oh just telling Rose all your dirty little secrets." He joked and Aiden arched his eyebrow.

"Is that right? I'm sure I don't have any dirty little secrets. But Luke on the other hand has quite a number."

"Not as much as you." Luke argued and I laughed. I smiled at the two man in front of me, Luke and Aiden were great friends and I knew I was happy that Aiden has a friend like Luke but seeing this between the two really made my day. "But just kidding, we were talking about how you like me sometimes and sometimes you want to murder me."

"And that's the truth." Aiden replied then made eye contacts with me. "So what makes you hate Luke like I do?"

"I'm not sure if I hate him like you do," I replied. "But he's been teasing me quite a bit." Aiden turned his attention back onto his friend.

"Oh really? You know Luke-"

"Okay I get it." Luke raised his arms up in the air to surrounding. Clearly Aiden does have some dirty little secrets of Luke that he didn't want anyone to know about. Luke dropped his arms back down and stood from his seat. "I'm getting out of here now." He buttoned his suit which I haven't even realized was unbuttoned before he walked over to Aiden.

"Sometimes I wonder about your timing Luke," Aiden mentioned, "I think you should work on it." Luke snorted.

"Yeah whatever." He patted Aiden on the shoulder. "But you my friend will have quite a bit of fun with Rose because I know she has quite a bit she wants to know. I hope you're prepared to talk." He chuckled before he walked out of the office with a soft click of the door.

The moment Luke left, Aiden walked over towards me and sat down beside me. He quickly wrapped his arms around me and kissed me on the lips. I melted into his arms without a second to spare and I nearly begged for more when he pulled back.

"Sorry for making you wait so long." He whispered, I pulled back and leaned back against the sofa.

"It's okay." I replied. "Though I'm kind of angry at you for everything you've done to see me. Look what you have to go through now." He smiled.

"It was worth it Rose and I've been through worse than this so don't worry about it." My lips thinned but I didn't press the issue longer than it should.

"So?" I started, "Why did you call me here?"

"I missed you." He nuzzled me on the cheek and laced his fingers with mine as I giggled. I felt myself blushing again and I couldn't shake off the feeling bubbling inside of me.

"Really Aiden," I pushed him away. "There must be a reason." He smiled and released me. He stood from where he was sitting and walked over to his desk to pick up a few files before returning to the spot beside me. He handed me two documents in a black file and I took it out of his hands with a curious look.

"It's yours." He replied and I arched an eyebrow. I flipped open the first document and I began reading all the pages of it. My mouth dropped as I continued reading. This isn't possible! I turned to Aiden and he wore a smile on his face.

"Why do you have the contract to my bakery with Mr. Greene here?" I asked.

"Did you even see all the pages?" He asked. I flipped through all the pages, recognizing all the familiar paperwork I went through and signed when I sold my bakery to Mr. Greene. However near the end of the document there were new paperwork I didn't recognize and it was a contract between Mr. Greene and Aiden.

1.      Ownership and property of Rosemary bakery will be transferred to Mr. Aiden Kingsley once Mr. Joe Greene receives ownership from Miss Rose Starr. Mr. Greene will continue to act as owner through the duration specified by Mr. Aiden Kingsley or deemed unnecessary.

2.      Any profit earned within the duration of the contract will be returned to Miss Rose Starr at the termination date specified by Aiden Kingsley.

3.      Mr. Greene will be in charge of hiring new employees to work at the property unless Miss Rose Starr requests staff of her own once the ownership is transferred. Miss Rose Starr will have all authorization once employees are hired if she wishes to terminate without the consent of Mr. Greene.

I didn't need to read anymore of the contract because I've gotten an idea what it was about. Now I was angry.

"Aiden!" I exclaimed, "You're the one that bought my bakery?! Why?"

"You should know why Rose. Your family is going through bankruptcy and you need to sell your bakery which you worked so hard for. I wasn't going to let it get into the hands of someone else Rose. The bakery is everything to you and you love it more than anything right?"

"But that doesn't mean you buy it Aiden! I would have gotten the bakery back by myself and Mr. Greene! Oh my god, why the hell did he decide to help you when there's nothing in it for him?!" He laughed and he held my hands in his.

"Mr. Greene is like a Dad to me Rose." My rage disappeared and I stared at him.

"What?"

"I-" He paused. "I lived on my own the moment I turned eighteen. I was lucky to have the fund to sleep in the college dorm for a semester but after that I was literally sleeping on the streets while attending school. But Mr. Greene is a very old friend of my Dad's and he took me in." He explained. So they have such a relationship eh? "Do you remember the doctor that took care of you when you fainted two weeks ago?" He asked and I nodded. And once again, all the answers were right in front of me but I was just too stupid to realize it. Aiden mentioned that Dr. Greene was a family friend. Dr. Julia Greene, Mr. Joe Greene...they were a married couple.

"I'm so stupid." I whacked myself against the head.

"No you're not Rose. I intended to hide it from you. If you were never going to forgive me, Mr. Greene would have gladly continued to be the owner and when the time was right, he would return the bakery back to you... that was the plan at least."

I stared down at the documents in front of me and I couldn't even bring myself to be angry at Aiden anymore. Yes what he did was absolutely ridiculous but deep down I was thankful. He is right, Rosemary is everything to me. It was my own achievement I was proud of in my life because it was something I built with my own two hands. The customers I've grown close to, the endless smiles and joy it brought over the years and even tears or how it mends those with broken hearts. Aiden realized how important it was to me even before I did.

I turned to Aiden and kissed him passionately on the lips. My heart was warm and I felt loved for once. Of course I felt loved from my family but it wasn't the same as the love I felt from Aiden. He made me feel special as if I was the only one in his life. I've always been compared to Lily my entire life and the love I received was always less than what Lily would receive. But Aiden is giving me everything he has and that thought alone means more than Rosemary or my family.

"Thank you." I muttered against his lips and I felt a smile forming on his lips and he quickly pecked me before pulling back.

"Don't say thank you yet, there's still one more." He pointed out and I remembered that he grab me two documents, not just one.

"I'm afraid to see what it is after this." I told him and he chuckled. I closed the file containing the contracts to Rosemary and I pulled the other file from underneath. I stared at Aiden and he nodded his head to tell me to open it. So I took a deep breath and flipped open the document.

I read the document and I felt my eyes filling with tears. This was more than receiving Rosemary by ten times...no even hundreds. It was the ownership and all the paperwork to my house...my family house. The buyer was once again Mr. Greene but I never bothered to ask my parents who purchased it as long as I knew the buyer loved the house as much as I did. Tears started falling down my cheeks and onto the piece of paper. I buried my face behind my hands and I felt Aiden wrapping his arm around my shoulder and pulled me into his chest.

He gently stroked my hair as I cried against his chest. He didn't care if I was going to leave a big wet mark on his suit when I'm sure he has other clients to meet. He didn't say anything while I cried because he knew I wasn't crying because I was hurt, he knew I was crying because I was happy. I was so happy that nothing in the world could express it. Rosemary may be important to me but if I had the money to purchase back my bakery or my family home, it would be the house. Nothing could beat the moments and memories I've built in that house. I pushed away from Aiden and wiped my tears with the back of my hands and I hugged Aiden with all my might. I didn't care (I did) that I was choking him but I wanted to show him how much it meant to me. Everything that he's done means the world to me.

"Thank you Aiden, thank you, thank you, thank you!"

"I thought you would put up more of a fight." I released him and stared directly into his eyes.

"I wouldn't if you let me pay you back."

"Okay please pick a fight Rose." Aiden replied and I furrowed my eyes.

"Aiden you spent well over a million dollars to purchase my family house and the bakery."

"Money is the less of my worries right now Rose. If I get to see that smile on your face, my whole fortune is worth it."

"I'm happy that I can get them back Aiden but this isn't me. I'm not going to accept something like this."

"Can you just think of them as a gift?" I shook my head.

"No I can't, this is too much."

"I told you money is the less of my worries."

"Can't you just compromise with me?"

"I'm a businessman Rose, do you think you can negotiate with me?"

"Yes." I gave him a firm look. I wasn't going to back down even though he is the CEO and owner of the company. He was giving me his stern, strict look as well and it was intimidating which I am thankful I don't always have to face but this is something I will not give up. After a couple of seconds he looked away and sighed. Yes I won!

"Okay what are your terms?"

"Let me pay you back." I told him. "Of course I won't be able to pay you back the full amount all at once, but I do want to pay you back in installments at least."

"You'll be paying me back for a lifetime." My lips thinned but I knew Aiden was right. I didn't have a million dollars to spare like he did. If I were to pay him back five thousand a month, I'll be paying him back for sixteen years...and I know I owed him more than one million dollars.

"I know but let me pay you back!"

"Please just consider them a gift Rose."

"We're negotiating here Mr. Kingsley." I told him and he arched his eyebrow.

"And you failed quite miserably trying to negotiate with me Miss Starr."

"Fine, I won't argue about the bakery and take it back." I back down slightly. "But the house isn't going to be a gift. The house was purchased by my parents and I grew up in that house so I'm sure you understand how important it is. I can't accept it as a gift, at least let me pay for the house even if it takes me sixteen years to pay off." He sighed.

"Fine. But I hope you know I purchased the house in full right? You and your family can move back into it without worrying about mortgage every month."

"Yes I'm sure you did." I rolled my eyes. "But my family isn't the same as it was before Aiden. My parents are separated and Lily is overseas to rebuild her reputation, it's not time." He brushed a strand of hair behind my ears.

"I heard that your Dad is trying to start another company."

"Yes he is." I replied and then he looked at me with a smile. I have a feeling... he's going to do something. "And you're not going to do anything to help him Aiden and I mean it. I believe in my Dad and I know he will get back up on his own two feet without any help."

"Who said I was going to do anything?" He looked innocently at me.

"I mean it Aiden, don't you dare do anything."

"Okay, I won't. I'll just watch okay?"

"Thank you." I replied. "Now can you get Luke to make a contract for us?"

"For what?"

"The house." I replied. "I'll give you all the profit that I've earned in the past six months at Rosemary and I'll start transferring money into your account monthly."

"We don't need a contract for that, I trust you'll pay me back every cent I paid for the house."

"You bet I would." I smiled. He sighed and rolled his eyes.

"You know most girls would just accept all these gifts without a complaint?"

"Because I'm not like most girls." I replied and he smiled.

"I know." He kissed me gently. "That's why I'm so madly in love with you."

(-)

The rest of the week flew by like a whirlwind. Things were just as busy at the bakery and same with Aiden. Mia and Ellen found out my relationship with Aiden almost instantly and even when I wanted to hide it, I couldn't hide the huge smile on my face. It also didn't hide our relationship when Aiden decides to visit randomly either. Aiden and I try to spend time together but since we were always busy, it's not possible sometimes. He needed to go out of the country again and he doesn't even know when he'll be back.

Jason came back from his business trip this morning when I received a call from him. I told him I needed to speak with him and to meet at the cottage whenever he had the chance. I was sitting with Rex on the porch of the cottage home that night. It was raining all day but the rain had stopped a couple of hours ago and now the sky was clear enough to see the stars twinkling in the sky. I managed to get Rex out of the house again and soon I will make sure he'll be comfortable to see what the world has. I'm still disappointed in Jason for what he's done to Hailey but it doesn't mean I abandon Rex because of what he did. I'm sure he has his reasons for what he did because I want to believe Jason wasn't that kind of person.

"What are you thinking about Lily?" Rex asked and I snapped out of my bubble. Rex was staring at me with a soft smile on his face and I couldn't help but smile back.

"Well I was thinking about your brother." I replied.

"Really? Why?" I turned my body to face him.

"What is your brother like?" I asked.

"Why do you want to know? Do you like him?" He snickered and I smiled.

"I like your brother but it's not the kind of like you're thinking about." I replied.

"Why don't you like my brother like that?"

"Because I love someone else." He frowned but he changed his expression quickly.

"Jason loves me." He replied and stared up at the stars. "I know he's done a lot for me to protect me and give me the best in the world so I want the best for him." I was surprised that Rex was saying these kind of things especially since I knew he had a mindset of a little kid.

"What did you think about Hailey?" I asked.

"I loved her and I was very sad when I heard Jason telling me I'll never see her again." Rex frowned. "Jason can sometimes be mean...I mean very mean but I know who he loves and cares about... Jason loved and cared for her."

"Do you miss her?" I asked and he nodded.

"But it's okay." He replied. "When Jason told me I wouldn't see her again, he was very sad. He was sad for a long time but he seems happier when he's with you."

"Really?" I asked and he nodded.

"Please don't leave my brother like Hailey." He replied. "I want him to be happy." If only he really knew what happened between Hailey and Jason, it was Jason that left Hailey.

One thing I knew for sure is that Jason loves Rex with all of his heart. He wasn't a terrible person, he knew what love was and what he needs to do to care for someone. There must have been a reason why he did that to Hailey if he felt miserable after breaking up with her. He was in love with Hailey and she probably meant the world to him back then.

Rex and I sat on the porch to enjoy the freshly cooled earth and evening wind. The sound of the waves crashing against the shore could be heard from a distance and the sounds of crickets were faintly heard. Summer was finally coming and it's crazy how fast time has passed and it's insane what happened within the past year. Not only what happened to me, but what happened to everyone around me.

My parents who were madly in love with each other are now living separately. The family business which my parents spent most of their lives developing became nothing but a worthless building. Lily who has always hated me for her entire life told me why she hated me. But through all those hatred, I found out she really cared for me. Aiden who was known to be cold hearted and stubborn is learning to care about those around him and finally showing compassion to others. And the man who loves me and made me loves me for who I am.

As I continued to reminisce all that has happened in the past few months, a car pulled up the long driveway. Even though it was dark, it was clear that it was Jason's black Maserati parking beside my Acura. Rex's face lit up when he saw his brother's car and his smile grew bigger when Jason emerged from the car. He had a big smile on his face as he approached us, he jogged up the steps every two steps and stood in front of us.

"Good evening you two," Jason greeted.

"Welcome back Jason." Rex smiled and I muttered a soft greeting to him.

"So I heard some things," Jason turned to me. "You and Kingsley eh?" I guess it's true when Aiden and Jason have been telling me that news does travel fast.

"Yes..."My voice was like a whisper. Jason stared at me like a hawk looking at its prey. "And I've heard of some things myself as well." I informed him. He continued to glare at me but I knew he had an idea what I heard and then he turned to Rex.

"Hey," He kneeled down to face his brother. "Is it okay if I steal Lily for a moment? We have some things to talk about." Rex nodded his head and he started to wheel himself back into the house.

Jason sat down beside me on the bench and leaned casually back against it. He turned to look at me and gave me a soft smile. "So where do you want to start?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

77.5K 2.8K 33
When Cecilia wakes up in a wattpad fantasy novel she's dumbstruck. Knowing the future of her character she tries to be on the good side of King Jaspe...
16.7K 338 15
Sorry for the terrible cover, I rushed it. Slow updates yay (KO and Tko are aged up to 17, and this is another twin au) ~~~ Y/n was always the advent...
178K 6.1K 37
Emily Montgomery had never done anything wrong in her life. She obeyed everything her parents ever asked of her. But now she finally has to break awa...
165K 5.5K 29
After escaping an abusive past, Rose wants nothing more than to stay away from trouble. But when trouble comes crashing into her life in the form of...