Loving Him

By oyinthewriter

Sophia gets a job offer to be a private nurse for a temporarily crippled man for three months. She doesn't he... More

Author's note
Chapter 1
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Epilogue
Bonus chapter: Ama&Daniel special
Sequel alert

Chapter 2

2.8K 396 212
By oyinthewriter

Nervous was mild to describe how Sophie was feeling as she made her way to the address Daniel had texted her. The moment she'd seen 'banana island', nerves like she'd never felt before had sprung up out of nowhere. Ama had tried her best to calm her down but even she had been nervous even though she wasn't the one going for the interview.

After getting down from the cab, she knocked on the gate of the house she presumed was the address described to her. The gate opened and the gatekeeper frowned at her, "Ehn ehn?"

"Good morning. My name is Sophia, I have an interview with Mr Adams this morning."

"Oookay, is you... Ehn oya come inside," he replied as he opened the door wider to let her in. "Go ring the bell... them go answer you."

"Okay, thank you," she replied as she made her way to the door. I can do this, she repeatedly whispered within herself as she rang the doorbell.

The door opened about five minutes later and a tall, good looking and well built man opened the door, "You must be miss Sophia, am I right?"

"I am. Good morning sir," she replied timidly. Was this Mr Adams? He didn't look much older than she was, probably around twenty five or something. He was light skinned, his hair was cut really low which really suited his face and he was tall, probably around six feet. There was no doubt he was gorgeous. Ama would definitely want to meet him.

He nodded, "I'm Raymond Adams, but you can just call me Ray. Please, come in."

"Thank you, sir," she replied as she followed him inside. Jesus Christ of Nazareth! This place is expensive! In all twenty two years of her life, Sophie had definitely never seen a house so huge or so beautiful or so well furnished. The walls of the house were painted white, the chairs were so white that she was afraid to sit in case she might taint them. The staircase leading upstairs were a perfect spiral that she felt she might just trip if she ever tried to go up. Different artworks hung on the walls, obviously expensive though there wasn't a single picture frame in sight. Sophie had never felt so intimidated by something so inhuman in her life.

Her thoughts must have been clear by the expression on her face because Raymond chuckled, "The house is nice, isn't it?"

"Nice is a very mild word for it," Sophie muttered in response.

He smiled, "Thank you. Please, have a seat."

She did as asked and took a seat on one of the oh so perfect chairs, "Thank you, sir."

"Ray, not sir."

"Okay sir... Ray sorry," she quickly amended, chuckling nervously.

"It's okay. So I'll get straight to the point, I heard you're fresh out of the university. To be honest, I would have preferred someone with experience because my brother can be a little difficult to handle and may prove a bit too much for someone like you."

"I assure you, I'm more than capable sir. I'm a first class graduate and I'm very good with people." She was aware that she was very close to rambling but she had to get this job.

"And I'm sure you are. You see, my brother had an accident, a bit fatal and he's wheelchair bound for now. The doctors are going to discharge him tomorrow and he's been recommended three months of complete rest. Knowing my brother though, that's going to be very hard so that's why I need you. I need someone who would keep an eye on him, make sure he rests and takes his medications and of course someone who would be able to know if he's having problems at all."

"Okay... Are we talking older or younger brother here sir?" Sophie asked.

"Older. Do you have a problem with that?" He replied.

She shook her head, "No, I'm totally fine with it sir. If you would just trust me, I promise I'll do a very good job."

He nodded, "Okay, I'll give you the chance so please do not fail me."

"I won't, sir."

"Ray," he corrected. "So you'll be earning two fifty per month for the next three months. Is that okay?"

Holy... "Two hundred and fifty thousand naira???" she asked incredulously.

He nodded, "It's not okay?"

"No,no,no sir. It's more than fine, thank you very much sir." She was grinning from ear to ear even though she was trying to keep her cool.

"Again, it's Ray. We really need to work on that," he said, smiling.

"Sorry, Ray. I'm just really excited, when do I start?"

"Tomorrow, please," he replied. "I'm hoping you'd see his doctor tomorrow so you can get familiar with the things he's supposed to do and what not."

"Tomorrow's perfect."

*     *     *
"I'm so happy for you," Ama gushed. "Have you told your mum yet?"

Sophie nodded, "She was so ecstatic. I can't even believe it myself. With this, Kemi's hospital bills to some extent would be settled."

"I know, right? I really am happy for you but..."

"But?"

"This one they're offering to pay you this sum of money... the job go tough gan oo."

"Ah, I don't mind, babe. See, no matter how tough it can be, once I remember the money like this, forget it."

Ama nodded, "Hmmm true. So, about Mr Adams..."

Sophie rolled her eyes, "I knew you'd go back there."

"Before nko, abeg tell me everything. How cute is he, really? On the scale of one to ten."

Her friend's hyper mood almost had her bursting into laughter. Sophie pretended to think about it, "Hmmmmm... I'm hungry, is there food at home?"

"Why are you changing the subject now?"

"Feed me and I'll tell you," Sophie replied, making her way to the kitchen.

"Sophie..." Ama whined as she trailed after her.

*     *     *
Sophie was on cloud nine as she got ready for work the next day. Confused about what to wear, she decided to ask for Ama's opinion, "What do you think I should wear? I don't want to look too corporate but I don't want to look too casual either."

Ama shrugged, "Wear a suit jacket and pajama bottoms then. The corporate balances the casual, problem solved."

Sophie glared at her and was searching for a befitting response when her phone started ringing. Picking up, she said, "Hello?"

"Morning, Sophie. It's Raymond."

"Oh, good morning si...Ray."

"Yeah. I just wanted to let you know there's been a change in plans. You head straight to the house, we'll join you there."

"Okay, that's fine sir. I'll be there shortly."

"Alright then." The line went dead.

"Who was that?" Ama asked.

"Mr Adams," Sophie replied. "He asked me to go straight to the house."

"Oh. You seem excited," Ama teased. "Just yesterday, you were practically shivering from nervousness."

Sophie grinned, "Two hundred and fifty thousand can do that to a person."

"Hmmm... Are you sure it's just about the money?" Ama insisted, wiggling her brows at her.

Sophie ignored her, "I think I'll just wear that gown you got me on my last birthday, what do you think?"

Ama rolled her eyes. "It's fine. Just hurry up already, you don't want to be late on the first day."

"Right."

*     *     *
About an hour later, Sophie was once again ringing the doorbell at the Adams' residence. This time around, the response was not as quick as she had been standing there for almost five minutes already. She wondered if nobody was home. Ringing the bell again, she was about ready to give up when the door opened and before her stood a girl who looked about ten years old.

"Yes? How may I help you?" The girl asked.

"Uhm...I'm here to see Mr Adams?"

"And who are you?"

"My name is Sophia and I have an appointment with him." who are you? Sophie silently added.

The girl stared at her, obviously sizing her up. Sophie did the same. The girl was pretty, angelic even; light skinned and tall, almost as tall as she was but something in Sophie's gut told her she was anything but angelic.

"Come in," the girl finally said, opening the door wider and stepping aside for her.

"Thank you," Sophie said as she stepped in. Even though she had been there before, the magnificence of the house still took her breath away.

"Who are you?"

Sophie startled and almost shrieked as she turned in the direction the deep voice had addressed her from. A man was sitting on the sofa, a magazine in hand, staring at her. Oh lord God, he was attractive! Even sitted, he was obviously tall and built. He was wearing glasses so she couldn't really see his eyes but his face--

"I believe I asked you a question."

Oh lord, that voice...What? She suddenly realized she had been staring at him like a fool. "I uh..I uhm... My name's Sophia and I have an appointment with Mr Adams."

"I'm Mr Adams and I don't remember scheduling an appointment with anyone."

He was Mr Adams? Just how many brothers did Raymond have? "I uh...I'm the nurse employed for the other Mr Adams."

"Really though... I had no idea Raymond was sick."

"No sir, not Raymond... the other one, the Mr Adams that had an accident." Why hadn't she asked for the name of the brother?

The man was staring at her like she was stupid, "I'm the one that got in an accident."

He was the one...? Sophie mentally face palmed as she noticed the wheelchair bedside the sofa. How had she not seen that before? But if he was the one... "Why are you here and not at the hospital? Raymond told me you'd be discharged today."

He ignored her question, "I'm not sure who employed you but I did not ask for a nurse and I definitely do not need one."

Sophie blinked. Once. Twice. Thrice. Okay, what was she supposed to say to that? She hadn't known she had been hired against his consent but she definitely wasn't giving up two hundred and fifty thousand. "Your brother hired me sir, and I believe with the doctor's agreement."

"So?"

"Um...So I don't think the doctor would have agreed if he didn't think it was necessary, sir."

"I don't care what the doctor thinks though. I do not--"

They were interrupted by the sound of the doorbell ringing; Talk about being saved by the bell. The girl, who Sophie hadn't noticed had been standing there the whole time went to open the door. Raymond and a man who Sophie assumed was the doctor entered, Raymond lifting the girl up and tickling her as he did so, making her squeal.

"Sophie, good thing you're here already. I'd like you to meet Dr Andrew. Dr Andrew, the nurse I told you about." Raymond introduced them as he came to stand next to her, the girl on his shoulder.

Sophie and the doctor exchanged greetings.

"What exactly do you people think you are doing?" 'The Mr Adams who Sophie didn't know his name yet' asked, his voice hard.

"I think you already figured it out yourself, Alex," Raymond replied. So his name was Alex.

"I don't need a nurse," Alex stated.

"Actually, you do," It was the doctor that spoke this time around, "You stubbornly checking yourself out of the hospital against the doctor's orders proves it."

Alex frowned, "What's the difference between yesterday and today, really? And what does that even have to do with this?"

"Well, I do not trust you to observe the three months rest I asked you to or even to take your drugs as you should. Raymond won't be able to monitor you as you deserve and I cannot keep you in the hospital because you won't have it, so this is the only other way about it."

"I can take care of myself, Andrew," Alex insisted.

"Yeah, you can but you won't," Andrew replied. "And that's it. Doctor's orders. You really don't have a choice here, Alex."

Sophie felt there was a double meaning behind the doctor's words because surprisingly, Alex stopped arguing.

"Okay. Since we've gotten that out of the way, Doctor, why not get Sophie acquainted with what she's supposed to be doing?"

The doctor nodded, "Let's do that. He handed Sophie a small box, Sophie opened them, there were several tubes containing different medications and prescriptions. "You make sure he uses those drugs as prescribed there unfailingly. He also has to come into the hospital at least once in two weeks for checkup. Raymond will give you my number so you call me if you think anything's not right, anything at all. Even if you feel he isn't breathing right, you give me a call." Alex snorted but the doctor ignored him, "And if there's anything at all you need to know, you call me."

Sophie nodded, "Alright, doctor."

"Good." The doctor turned to Alex, "Take good care of yourself."

Alex ignored him. Again, Sophie felt there was an hidden meaning behind those words.

"Okay doctor, let's go. I still have to go to work," Raymond said as he placed the girl on his shoulder down.

"Do you have to go?" The girl whined.

"Yes Angel, I have to. Someone has to make sure we don't go bankrupt while your dad's under house arrest," Raymond joked. "Close your eyes and I'll be back before you open them, alright? With ice cream."

She smiled. "Deal."

"Alright then. Walk us out, Sophie?"

Sophie nodded as she followed them out. Once out the door, he turned to her, "You looked about ready to flee in there. Relax, okay? He looks scarier than he actually is."

Sophie chuckled, "I doubt that. But I'm not about to bail if that's what you're asking."

He laughed. "Alright, just don't pass out before I get back."

"I'll try."

"Please. See you later."

Sophie nodded and with that, they were off. "I can do this, two hundred and fifty thousand," she muttered to herself and braced herself as she opened the door only to be faced with glaring father and daughter. Oh God, I can't do this.

**********

Vote, comment, share.😘

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

63.4K 10.4K 36
18+ only! 🔥🔥🔥 | Toyin was living her best life! She had the perfect job with an Oil Major, amazing friends, a suitor and a fabulous apartment with...
22.5K 3.1K 60
She felt his warm palm on her wrist and at once she was facing him. Without warning, his lips engulfed hers, setting her on fire just like she did h...
157K 14.9K 59
A NIGERIAN THEMED NOVEL. *COMPLETED* Highest ranking. #1 out of 369 lagos #2/22/20 #1 out of 28 lekki #3/11/20 #9 out of 1.52k besti...
58.1K 8.7K 31
Wattysng2020 Completed✅ #1 in Nigerianromance. .............................. The story of a young, beautiful lady named Sola, who has dreams and...