Tempting Darkness [17+] ✔

Av Daydream1011

Copyrighted 2020 **Book 1 in the Darkness Series!** **Completed!** *Under construction* There was a cre... Mer

Under Construction!
**Warning!**
Description
Preface
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 10
Chapter 11 -M
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31

Chapter 9

26.5K 1.3K 334
Av Daydream1011

Hey guys! That's it for the covers so far! Feel free to send me any art or more covers!

Sorry for any grammar and editing mistakes!

Please comment, vote, and follow!

Enjoy!

-&-

Chapter 9

       The next morning was fairly... ordinary. River, Siena and I all got coffee at the café, discussed the latest gossip revolving around a rather scandalous party in the freshmen dorm the night before-even though it had been a Wednesday-and went home for lunch, where Adriel was waiting with some crummy take out. But I didn't complain. No matter how badly the guy could get under my skin, I would never scoff at spending time with him.

       It wasn't until later that day when I went back for my afternoon classes, that things took a turn for the worst.

       "Oh my God. Did you guys hear?" River exclaimed loudly, despite the quiet of our Deshua of the Ages classroom as he took a hurried seat at my side. My raised eyebrow matched that of Siena's pierced purple one. "That freshman party last night? A girl went missing!"

       "And why exactly do you sound excited about that?" Siena drawled at my other side, but I didn't pay much attention. An icy chill went down my spine as a tight ball of anxiety settled heavily in my stomach.

       "Because it's a mystery, Siena! Finally, something interesting happened in this God-forsaken town."

       "She probably just got too drunk and wandered off. I'm sure the girl will show up soon." Siena's disinterest was the exact opposite of her best friend, who was so excited that he was practically bouncing out of his seat.

       "We should go look for her after class."

       That ball of anxiety grew, but I couldn't find the words to figure out why as Siena rolled her eerie gray eyes. "I'm sure the cops are doing a good enough job of it on their own."

       "Really? I figured you would take up any excuse to go see Lady Jess." The goth perked up almost immediately at his words and the disinterest in her eyes faded to excitement.

       "I have been wanting to buy a few new crystals."

       "Lady Jess?" I said around the unease slithering through me. Whatever the reason, this whole situation didn't feel right.

       "The town's psychic. Si is obsessed with her." Siena lifted her arm behind me to shove at River, but the ball in my stomach turned to lead.

       "A psychic?" And her name was Jess?

       "Oh yeah, you're going to love her."

        I wasn't so sure about that.

-&-

       "Come on," Siena laughed as her pierced tongue flicked out to lick that ruby red lollipop clenched between her slender fingers. The stark contrast of the candies color and her dark purple lips made her look even more edgy-not that the black charcoal eyeliner circling her bright gray eyes needed any help with that. "You can't tell me you've never been to a psychic before."

       I shrugged my shoulders and glanced away from the cavity-wielding sugar. "Never really had a desire to." I didn't need some crook telling me my love life was shit, and that I suffered a hard past. I knew that well enough on my own, but the excited gleam in Siena's eyes made the disdain die on my tongue. Besides, if a girl really was missing and if this Jess character knew how to find her, it wouldn't be right to ignore it. Despite the unpleasantness swirling in my gut. Though I only had about an hour to play hero before I had to go relieve Raf's babysitter.

       "Lady Jess is so fucking cool. She knew about the scar I have on my shoulder, even though I was wearing a jacket! And she knew exactly where it came from!"

       "Everyone has a scar or two." River scoffed at his best friend. "And anyone can figure out you fell and scraped it on a rock." Even though he was the one who suggested going to see her River had been grumbling the whole way. Apparently, he didn't believe in the psychic mumbo-jumbo either, but suggested it to get Siena on board with the search. This was just a 'pit-stop' in his plans-as he called it.

       "You weren't there, River." Siena snapped and shot icy gray daggers his way. "She knew right off the bat. The ladies legit!"

       "I can't stay long guys." I reminded them as we turned towards the center of town, leaving my little yellow bug parked on the side of the road. "I have to get home for Raffie."

       "Yeah, yeah, you already said that. It shouldn't take long though, she's really good. We'll even have a chance to get our own readings once she figures out where that girl is."

       I really didn't want one of those readings, no matter how 'good' she was, but Siena was pointing towards a brightly decorative shop and the argument died from my lips. Crystals of various sizes hung inside the window, along with colorful charms and antique looking candles. It was just like any other psychic shop I had seen in California. 

       The only interesting thing this one had going for it was that it stood right across the street from the cathedral. My eyes glanced back nervously at my car as Si dragged us through the shop's door. There was a plain wooden sign hanging above the entrance reading: Embrace the cleansing aura of dreams.

       Clearly, this woman has never been inside one of mine.

       "Back so soon, Siena?" A light gentle voice greeted as a bell rang behind us. There was no one in sight, and suddenly the space around me was too small, too tight. We were caged into the place, surrounded by walls and walls of candles and crystals, and various plants. With no escape. I sucked down a shaky breath.

       "Yeah, we were wondering if you could figure something out for us." Like she had been here a million times before, Siena pulled me through the multitude of shelves lining the store until we reached a counter at the far back-the only space not littered with merchandise. We had already lost River in the tightly compacted aisles, but from the soft snickering behind us I assumed he found something to amuse himself with.

       There was a girl standing behind the counter, one who couldn't have been more than a few years older than us. She had long straight blonde hair cascading in a waterfall down her back, a thin heart-shaped face and pretty smile that shone brightly against her tan skin. She was wearing a pair of skinny jeans and large sweater, nothing like the long dresses and clanging jewelry I saw on the psychics in California. If it weren't for those unnaturally bright green eyes, she would have looked like any other girl walking down the street.

       "This is Larkin." Siena announced as her grip on my wrist pulled me right smack into the counter. I shot her a narrowed look before glancing back at the girl.

       A sense of warmth and calm washed through my veins as-who I'm assuming was-Jess turned that sweet smile on me. The feeling was so strange and foreign that it had the completely opposite effect. The anxiety in my stomach started to creep like ice through my veins "Larkin? That's a-"

       "Weird name, I know."

       The girl's smile widened, and those bright green eyes seemed to spark in amusement. No way was that color natural. "I was going to say unusual, but there is nothing wrong with weird either." She ran her hand through the top of her hair, brushing the long streaks back across her shoulders from where they had fallen. She moved so fluidly, with calm, soft motions that seemed to discourage any unnecessary adrenaline.

       "If you say so." I muttered as I forced my gaze from those unnerving eyes. Siena was leaning against the counter beside me, her gaze wide in encouragement. I resisted the urge to reach down and check the time on my phone. This place was giving me the creeps, and if I didn't get home soon Adriel was going to be furious. "Look, I'm kind of on a time crunch, so if you could just help us out that would be great."

       "Of course," Jess spoke softly, that easy calm smile still resting on her lips. "I'm free right now." Jess stepped towards a dark purple curtain at the back of the room that I hadn't noticed before and swept it out of the way. "Come right through here. I always ensure every customer's privacy."

       Ugh customer. How much was this bogus shit going to cost?

       "We're not here for ourselves." Though Siena's narrowed glance suggested otherwise. "A girl went missing from the freshman dorm last night. They were hoping you could help-"

       "The girl is fine. Drank too much and stumbled home with some overzealous junior boy. I've already informed the police."

       Well, that was quick and easy. Though I wasn't sure if anything she said was true. "Great, thanks. Let's go." I mumbled toward Siena who shot me a disapproving frown.

       "Oh no, you still have time before you have to go back. It's not even three-thirty."

       "Siena..."

       "Just do one reading! Live a little Larkin. It's not going to hurt you." I groaned as she gripped onto my shoulders and spun me to face that dark purple curtain still held open by Jess. I ignored her warm inviting smile. I wasn't a fan of the dark, especially not in creepy shops with strange people I didn't know.

       Siena gave me a little shove towards the curtain, and despite my grumbling I went without a fuss. The goth was weird, but if listening to some woman talking nonsense for a while was going to make her happy, then why the hell not? Trials of making friends, and I did promise Adriel I would try.

       I walked slowly behind the counter and slipped by Jess's outstretched hand. The room was small, only two silver barrel chairs sat on either side of a square wooden table, with-what looked like--the galaxy painted on the far wall. A stack of tarot cards rested on the end of the table farthest from the door, and four large different colored candles sat directly in the middle. That uneasy chill from before ran down my spine as the 'psychic' closed the curtain. The room became shrouded in darkness.

       "Sorry about the dark." That soft, gentle voice filled the air, and I followed its sound as she brushed by. "I prefer only candle-light when I read." The white candle in the middle of the table flared to life at her words. My eyes widened. "Have a seat, Larkin. I want to get you home in time for your sister. The babysitter leaves at four, right?"

       "Uh, um, yeah." I stammered uncertainly before taking a seat on the chair closest to the entrance. The girl was already sitting in the other, her hands clasped loosely together on the tabletop. I know I sure as hell hadn't told her any of that.

       "Professionally, I go by Lady Jess, but you can just call me Jess if you want." The smile was small, secretive, like she already knew things about me that I didn't even know. "Have you ever been through a reading before?" Her voice was casual enough though those bright green eyes studied me intently. The candle lit the table but cast shadows over her features and kept the rest of the room in darkness.

       "No."

       "You don't believe in them." It wasn't a question, and that smile of hers turned more sly than warm.

       I nodded.

       "It's alright to be skeptical, most people are. And it doesn't help that there are so many out there without gifts who only deceive."

       "And you claim to be the real thing?" I didn't bother hiding the scoff in my tone, but she didn't seem offended.

       "I'll let you decide that." For the first time since I sat in the barrel chair, those unnatural eyes turned away from mine to glance down at the candles. "There are many different readings I can do, though the two that most are familiar with are palm and tarot." She started softly, her voice smooth and light as it eased the anxious knots tearing at my shoulders. 

       "With palm readings I can see into your past, and your future. With tarot cards I can see the struggles you are or will be facing and how to overcome them. Since this is your first reading there will be no charge. The choice is yours."

       No charge? "You'll do either one? For free?"

       She nodded, her hands still resting patiently against the tabletop. I bit my lip and shrugged. I didn't really care much about my future, and I already knew my past. But if her little cards wanted to somehow magically tell me how to get over my struggles, who was I to stop her? Maybe she'll tell me how to get over my lustful thoughts about a certain pig-headed, arrogant, blue-eyed male.

       "I guess the tarot cards?"

       She finally pulled her hands away, that smile pulling at pale pink lips. "Good choice. Palms can be tricky, and some people's spirits are a lot stronger than others. I can't read everyone." Jess spoke nonchalantly, like it was completely normal to discuss reading people's spirits. "I like cards, they can't hide anything. Though they often hold dozens of meanings."

       Well, that didn't sound very reassuring.

       "First thing to know before we get started, are the importance of the candles." She raised one, slim, delicate hand over the flame of the white candle, just high enough so it wouldn't burn her skin. "The white is for peace, and purity. It is used often with divination and the cleansing of bad spirits." Despite not believing in any of it, she had my complete attention as her palm moved over the next candle. "The black is for safety and protection. It is used to banish the negative and welcome the positive." The candle's wick lit as she spoke, and I had a hard time convincing myself it was just a parlor trick. Batteries or hidden wires or something.

       "The purple is for spiritual power. It helps awaken the third eye in both myself and you." Like the black candle, the purple's wick flared to life. "And the blue is for protection, and focus. It helps me safely see into that which is hidden." Once all candles were lit, and a soft warm glow washed over the small room, Jess pulled her hand away. "Each one serves a specific purpose and will help us on this journey."

       Just great. Now we were taking a journey together. I better get paid mileage.

       "Now, it's very important you do as I say." Her tone was still light and gentle, but it sounded with an authority that I wasn't about to challenge. "Take the cards." I reached slowly across the small table and grabbed the deck. "Good, now shuffle them." I did as she said and used my really awful shuffling skills to mix the cards together. "Split the deck and put both halves on the middle of the table."

       "Good job." She announced cheerfully once I did everything she had asked.

       "Thanks, I put all my effort into it."

       She laughed and shook that delicate head before reaching for the cards. "I see why Siena thinks so highly of you."

       "When did she say that?"

       "When she brought you over to the counter."

       "But she didn't-"

       "Sh, you need to be quiet now so I can see."

       I sat back grumpily in my seat and crossed my arms over my chest. I was getting really sick and tired of people telling me what to do. She picked up the two halves, shuffled them together herself, then laid out three cards in a row. That's when the show began.

       "The Lovers is a very common card and has many different meanings." Jess announced softly as she pointed at the first card with the image of two separate hands holding a stitched together heart high into the air. It was gruesome looking.

       She placed the palm of her hand about an inch over the card and closed her eyes. "You are... struggling between what your heart wants and what your mind is claiming." I tried not to roll my eyes. How freaking basic was that? Almost everyone in existence struggles between what they want and what they think. Nothing spiritual or exciting there. "You battle over your lust for him and his for you."

       "Um, no, no. No one's lusting after me." I interrupted halfway through her explanation, heat flaming the back of my neck. She might have gotten her guess right on my whole attraction for Adriel, but he sure as hell wasn't lusting after me. I paid so much attention to the guy it would be impossible not to see if he did.

       That unnatural gaze of hers blinked slowly open, and her lips pulled at the corners. "If that is what you wish to believe. I just say what the cards read."

       M'kay, sure. Right.

       "And what about this one." I pointed towards the card clearly labeled Death at the bottom. As if the giant grim reaper looking creature pointing directly at me wasn't enough of a sign. "Let me guess, my love is doomed to fail?"

       "No, on the contrary, you have nothing to worry about your love." What the hell was that supposed to mean? "The Death card is corresponding to this one." She gestured to the third card she had laid down. "Judgement usually follows Death in matters of reincarnation." The one she was referring to had a young blond boy hanging in clouds with purple wings sprouting out of his back and a long trombone looking instrument pressed to his lips on the top half. The bottom of the card had three very naked people standing out of rectangular dirt graves. Their pale, thin hands raised to the angel.

       "Reincarnation?" I raised my brow in blatant disbelief. "Are you saying I'm reincarnated? Like The Mummy?" This girl was more bonkers than I thought.

       "No, not like The Mummy." Jess let out a small laugh, not at all concerned with the graphic images before us. "It is not uncommon to see. Many souls are reincarnated throughout the years. They are known as 'Old Souls'. It's quite an honor to be one actually. Those picked by Azrael often serve high purposes than regular souls."

       "Whose Azrael?"

       "The Angel of Death." She pointed again at the Death card. "He is in charge of sending souls to Heaven, Hell, and back to Earth." She held her hand over the judgement card and let out a slow breath. "And he has apparently sent yours back quite a bit."

       I let out a haggard breath and tapped anxiously on the edge of the table. This girl was freaking nuts. Heaven and Hell didn't exist. There was no such thing as angels or souls. There was only us. That's it. When you died, you died. There was no such thing as reincarnation. I had to get out of there. Raf and the babysitter were expecting me, and the longer I spent with this lunatic, the more my brain cells died.

       "Listen, Jess, this has been fun and all, but I need to get going."

       "Wait, there's one more card in the reading." She spoke softly, sounding not at all offended that I wanted to leave. She flipped the card as I stood to leave.

       "I really need to go-"

       "Wait." She suddenly sprang forward, her thin hand wrapping tightly around my wrist with more strength than I had expected her body could hold.

       "What the actual fuck lady?" I snapped and tried to rip my wrist from her grasp, but those slender fingers were like iron around my skin.

       "Does this card mean anything to you?" She pointed down at the card, but I didn't want to look. This whole thing was massively creeping me out, and I was going to give Siena hell for asking me to do this.

       "I don't care-"

       "Look." Her voice held a certain authoritative tone that was hard to ignore. I couldn't help it, my eyes snapped down to the card. The very air around us seemed to freeze, and my pulse pounded against my ears.

       "Is this some kind of joke?" My voice was soft even to my own ears. My breath came out shaky as my eyes locked on the depictive image. Large black eyes stared from a blood red canvas. Raven wings coated the cards edges, their feathers circling that unwavering gaze in an iron cage. I knew those eyes. I had seen them often enough in my dreams.

        "No, it's not. Do you have any idea what that is?"

        "You tell me!" I snapped before finally ripping my wrist from her grasp. "They're your damn cards!" My breathing started to turn into hard, fast pants and I backed unsteadily away from the table.

       "That's not my card. I don't have anything like that in any of my decks."

       "You're lying." I stumbled back against the galaxy-painted wall. My eyes were wide in horror as they stayed locked on that black soul-shaking gaze. "How did you know?" I never told anyone about those dark body-binding dreams. Not even Adriel, though I wasn't necessarily sure I could tell him about my erotic visions of a man I could never see.

       "Larkin-"

       "How did you know?" I was seething now, my gaze finally tearing from those black eyes to lock on hers. Those unnaturally bright green irises were wide, her lips slightly parted in surprise as she stood slowly to her feet.

       "Larkin, you have to listen to me." Jess began softly, her thin hands outstretched as she took a step forward. "There is a legend, an old one. You are in danger." I stepped hastily away from her hand. The wrist she had grabbed clutched tightly to my chest.

       "Yeah, from crazy people like you!"

       "No, not from me. From them."

       "Y-You're insane. Stay away from me!" I burst through the dark purple curtain and raced for the shop's door without a second thought.

       "Larkin? Wait, what's wrong?!" I ignored Siena as I ran past her and River, making a vicious beeline for the exit.

       I was so close. So close to the freedom of outside and my little yellow bug, when Jess's retreating words sent a sucker punch straight to my stomach. "Stay out of the shadows, Larkin. They're looking for you."

-&-

Hope you all enjoyed!

Just to let you know this book gets a little spooky at some parts. Hehe.

Fortsett å les

You'll Also Like

12.4K 1.2K 50
Some things are stronger where they have been broken, other things shatter with the slightest pressure. Loyalty, secrets, and souls can do both, but...
33 0 1
This is a fated mate romance between a reluctant fiery woman and an alpha male who is more then used to getting his way. Their bloodlines make them s...
10.4K 1K 53
**SPOILERS** **SPOILERS** **SPOILERS** **SPOILERS** After their defeat by the Collector, and multiple revelations of both family and blood, Jordan is...
293 105 24
In the beginning, our universe was dark and cold, with no life. Until the creator of the outerverse, Nova, breathed life into existence, bringing bal...