Love is a Flower

By _blue_birdie_

Elliot recently moves and gets a job at a nearby flower shop. Hopefully the four men he meets will help him a... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16

Chapter 9

8K 354 126
By _blue_birdie_

Eli's pov

I turn off the vacuum and wind up the cord on the hooks of the machine. I shove it back into my closet along with the broom and mop I recently used.

I quickly wipe down the counters and smile at my newly cleaned apartment. I didn't have work today and decided it would be a good day to do this.

I actually like cleaning. It calms me down and has a good outcome. The corner of the apartment I purposely left empty when unpacking suddenly catches my eye.

If I got a cat I would have to clean more. That doesn't sound to bad. I would also have a snuggle buddy and someone to come home to. Even if it's just a cat that may or may not scratch me all the time.

But I'm sure after several hours alone it would appreciate my affection.

What am I talking about? I can't get a cat, I can hardly take care of myself. But maybe Noah would want my cat to meet their cat. It would give me an excuse to see him and his partners away from work.

I groan and smack my self in the forehead. I can't get a cat just for an excuse to see them.

A cat would be nice, though, I would prefer a dog. But I would have to walk it all the time and with being in the city it seems too complicated.

I turn to clean my fridge and notice I'm almost out of certain necessities. I make a list of things I need and after cleaning the fridge I get dressed.

I grab my list on my way to the front door. I sigh and leave my apartment knowing what will happen in a few seconds. The door behind me opens and I pretend I don't hear it as I walk down the hall.

"Oh, wait Eli." I pick up my pace and don't turn around. Footsteps follow me until Grace is walking next to me.

"Hi, you're in a rush today." She says with a cheshire cat smile.

"Yep. I have to go shopping." I say taking the steps downstairs quickly.

"Me too! Want to go together?"

"No thanks." I bite out.

"Okay. That's okay. Maybe next time?" I ignore her and make my way to the bus station. A few minutes later the bus pulls up. I don't even feel guilty for treating her like this anymore.

About a week ago I caught her messing around with my door handle. I don't know what she was doing but when she saw me she immediately ran back to her apartment.

It takes fifteen minutes to get to my stop. A few other people get off but I ignore them and quickly walk into Walmart. I grab a cart and go straight to the produce section.

It may not look like it but I do like to eat healthy. It's yummy and makes me feel good. I just wish I could get into working out, maybe then I could lose the fat around my stomach, face and thighs.

I take my time with shopping and when I pass the pet section I stop to look at the cat food for a few minutes.

I really want a cat.

I take my cart to the front and on my way I pads a stand with reusable shopping bags. Maybe I should try to be zero waste. It doesn't seem to be that hard.

I grab three bags and make my way to the check out aisles.

When I get back to my apartment I put all my stuff away and pull out my phone.

Hey, I was thinking of going zero waste do you have any tips?|

I think over the text before hitting send and turning off my phone. Okay, that wasn't that hard. I take a deep breath but ot doesn't stop the butterflies in my stomach.

My phone dings and I quickly pick it up.

Noah
well...its a lot of work, and its okay to not be 100% zero waste because that's almost impossible. just try to filter in reusable and eco friendly items into your daily life. like when you run out of shampoo instead of getting another bottle get a shampoo bar or go to a bulk store and get a reusable container filled with shampoo. or the next time you go shopping bring reusable shopping bags

Me
I did that! today I went shopping and bought bags because of what you said.

Noah
really?! thats great! im so excited i'll show you everything I know so if you have any questions just ask me. if you want i can show you the bulk store i always go to

Me
That would be great thanks!

Noah and talk for about an hour and he tells me all kinds of things about being eco-friendly. He told me all the reasons that made him want to start doing and it made me want to stick to it even more.

***

Noah's pov

"I want a cat." Eli says to me as he counts the cash in the register.

"Really?" I ask grinning leaning against the counter.

"Yep. An older one though."

"That's amazing! We should go look at some after closing up today!" I cheer leaning up on my tiptoes.

"Wait...Okay." He says with flushed cheeks as he looks back down at the money in his hand. We finishing closing the shop and grab our belongings.

"Matthew and I drive together so I'm gonna borrow his car." I explain to Eli as we walk down the side walk. I don't really like driving in the city but I'll do it for Eli. When we get to the the bakery I send Matt a quick text before we get in the car. "What kind of cat do you want?"

"One that is a few years old with short hair is about all I want." I turn the radio on but keep it low so that we can talk on the way to the pet adoption center. We pull into the parking lot and I hop out. I grab Eli's hand and drag him into the building and up to a desk.

"We're here to look at your cats."

"Second door on your right." The receptionist says hardly looking away from her computer.

I lead Eli to the door and inside, where dozens of cats are walking around the room. Toys and cat trees are spread around the room.

Thankfully no one is there and we get all the cats to ourselves. I reach for the one closest to me but it quickly stands and struts away.

Eli and I split up and a few minutes later he has two cats in his lap begging for his attention. An orange one with long hair and a dark colored tabby cat. The orange one leaves after a few moments of his attention to claw at a cat tree.

I sit next to Eli with an old, rough looking one in my arms. His ear is ripped and his hair is patchy but he's super sweet.

Half an hour later Eli's still playing with the dark haired one who is apparently named Liquorice. One of the volunteers had come in and given us information about both cats.

The one I'm petting is a six year old tabby named Oscar who has been here a little too long and they plan on putting down.

"What do you think of Liquorice?" I ask Eli after almost an hour of being here.

"I really like him I think I want to adopt him. What about you?"

I look down at the cat in the lap. Another cat wouldn't hurt right? I can't just not adopt him knowing he will be put down. "Yeah, I think I'm gonna get him." They will understand I'm sure of it.

I move Oscar off my lap and zoom out of the room to get to adoption forms.

When I come back into the room we fill out the paperwork. Since adopting is a big deal we have to put down recommendations and who we live with. We hand our forms to the receptionists and she says she will call us within a week.

Eli and I leave the center with grins.

"Now we should go to the store and get stuff for Liquorice." Eli agrees and I drive us to a pet store a few blocks away. I grab a cart once where there and head towards the cat food.

"Okay. Cat food is very important. The center probably buys this food but you should use this kind." I grab a small bag of the kind the center uses and a larger bag of the kind we use. "When he first moves in with you fill most of the bowl with the centers food and add a little bit of the new food. Everyday you should add more of the new kind and less of the old until only the new kind is left."

"Okay..." He says slowly.

"Sorry," I mutter.

"No, no Thank you. I have never had a cat and want to know as much as possible." I grin and get him all the other necessities before bringing him to the toys and cat trees.

"I would suggest one item he can scratch on like a tree or scratch pad. Trees are pretty expensive."

Eli looks at all the trees.

"I want to get him a tree. It looks like something a cat would like and now that I have two jobs I have extra money I can spend." He grabs a tree and after grabbing a few toys we check out.

Since it's pretty late I drive us straight to the bakery and pick up Matt. I hop out the car when I park and wrap my arms around Matt.

He kisses me and I lean in putting my hand on the back of his neck. We pull apart and I smile at him.

"Sorry that we're late. Eli found the perfect cat and we went to the store to get stuff for him."

"It's okay." He gives me another kiss and slides into the drivers seat with out me asking. "What's your address Eli?"

"Oh, I can just take the bus. It's fine." Eli rushes out.

"I know but It's dark and I'm sure you have a ton of bags." Eli gives up and gives Matt the directions to his apartment.

I grabs the cat tree and Matt Eli grab the bags. We're halfway inside his apartment when the door behind us opens and I hear Eli sigh. I turn around and see a beautiful blonde woman step out of her apartment.

"Hi Eli! Who are your friends?" I can't help but be jealous of the nickname. I suppose other people besides me and my partners call him that.

"Just co-workers." He says and walks into his apartment Matt and I hesitantly follow him and Eli shuts the door cutting off whatever the woman was about to say.

"Do you not like her?" I ask after a few awkward moments.

"No she's creepy and always opens her door to talk to me when I'm leaving my apartment or coming back."

"Oh." She seemed nice but if she creeps him out I gotta respect that.

"Where do you want to put this stuff." Matthew asks setting his bag. I put the tree in the corner of the living room area like Eli instructs as Matt helps him set up the litter box. As they do that I give him a few tips about litter boxes.

"When we get our cats you should bring Liquorice over to meet Bear and Jake." I say before we leave.

"Okay." Eli replies with a smile. I grin and give him a hug. He gives such good hugs. I sigh and lean against him more.

I take a step back and smile at him. "Okay, well um bye."

"Bye."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

465K 17.7K 81
"Moving his hips to the music, dancing against his best friend Elliot actually shocked himself. He was normally kind of shy, awkward and nerdy but th...
525K 17K 51
A cliche wrong number story. Boy gets girl's number, boy texts the wrong person, etc. You know how it goes. But what if boy finds the exact opposite...
102K 3.9K 46
All Noah wants to do is finish high school without any problems. Until a problem arrives in the form of the new kid, Aaron. Noah begins to fall for...
11.8K 348 15
Cosmo never was a social person. He preferred to keep to himself. After the death of his father, he slowly closed off from the world. He rarely spok...