A Fluke of Sorts

Per moon_rose_petals

a cedmione fanfiction by toastedmuffinz on fanfiction.net. He's the pretty boy, she's the brainy girl. It al... Més

Hogwarts' Book Thief
A Sunshine Fixation
Of Robes & Stars
Let Me Be Yours?
Between A Reality & A Memory
Keeping You Warm With Me
In All Honesty
Coming To A Full Circle
Epilogue

The Prince & The Princess

2K 52 18
Per moon_rose_petals

"Right, shall we get started?" Harry asked in loud voice as he tried to gather the attention of everyone in the room.

"Wait, Cedric's not here yet." Fred spoke up. Everyone turned to look at the empty spot beside Hermione before looking at the fifth-year witch.

"I'm not his keeper for Merlin's sake. Would you mind to direct your questioning gazes at someone else?" Hermione said, slightly flushed at the attention – and apparent connection she and Cedric seemed to have stamped on everyone's perception.

"Umbridge's got a hold of him." Haden answered as he stepped into Room of Requirement.

"The old toad?" George repeated.

"One and only, we haven't got many amphibians in Hogwarts to speak of anyway," chuckles arose within the students, "He's caught for a detention with her."

"Cedric? Detention?" Ron said in surprise.

"Umbridge was telling the class how incredibly foolish it was for anyone to think You-Know-Who's back and that it was complete, utter lies created to mislead everyone. She said that almost every lesson and Diggory didn't take it to heart because she's a professor after all, and it didn't matter to him so as long there were people like us who believed in You-Know-Who's return." Haden explained. "But I suppose he lost it when she started saying Dumbledore's lost a screw in his head and with him as headmaster, Hogwarts is simply becoming a breeding ground for unwanted grimy commoners." He muttered darkly.

"Dumbledore's lost a screw in his head? Sounds like she's lost more than just a screw." Fred bellowed. Angry words and profanities started spewing from the DA members.

"She's really got some nerves." Dean commented angrily.

"Clearly her statement was aimed at Muggle-borns." Cho said with a frown.

"Obviously." Ernie Macmillan agreed with an irate snort.

"That foul toad." Ron gritted his teeth.

"Silence!" Harry shouted over the commotion. "Come on, saying those things about Umbridge is not going to do us any good." He turned to look at Haden, "So Cedric's now in detention with her?"

"For almost an hour now. She wasn't impressed when Cedric hollered at her for her disrespect to Professor Dumbledore and her impartiality to purebloods." Haden looked at Hermione with a small smile for a brief moment. "But it didn't do him any good seeing as he's now scheduled for double detention with the toad."

"Double detention?" Harry echoed. He had a sinking feeling of the very punishment Cedric was going through at that very moment. Harry looked up at Hermione and her gaze told him the exact same thing. He wondered if Hermione wanted to skip their DA meeting for the day.

"Well come on, let's begin. No point on verbally cursing Umbridge if we can't get our hexes right to do her in." Hermione briskly said. Everyone fell silent for a few seconds before taking their usual places, Hermione's words running on the logical and rational side of their minds. However, once the DA meeting ended, Hermione immediately excused herself and rushed out of the room. Harry and Ron didn't need to ask to know where she was going.

Hermione soon found herself at the door of Umbridge's office but seeing as the lights were out; she hurried off again and went straight to the library. She stalked each and every bookshelf but found no sight of the seventh-year Hufflepuff. Although most would have reasonably thought he may have returned to the Hufflepuff Common Room, somehow, Hermione had a feeling he wouldn't have done so. 'Knowing Cedric, he wouldn't want to worry anyone with the punishment. Quite likely, he would have gone somewhere else to allow some time for his wound to heal before attempting to pass it of as nothing the next morning.' Hermione came out of the library with harsh breathing but she continued on to the ground floor of the castle and her next destination in mind had been the large tree by the lake, but as she bounded down the marble staircase, she caught sight of a small, flickering glow in the Great Hall. Hermione held her breath and cautiously crept closer to the great double doors which were slightly ajar. 'Please don't let it be Filch.' She quietly peeked from the opened door and saw a male figure sitting down at the table on the far end. He had his back towards the door, but Hermione recognized it well enough to slowly let herself past the doors and quietly made her way to the figure.

"Cedric?" She softly called out when she got closer.

The boy turned around with a jerk. "Granger. What are you doing here?"

"The same reason that you are here." Hermione answered and as she sat herself down next to him, she saw him quickly moving his right hand underneath the sleeves of his left's. Hermione said nothing but gently tugged at his right arm, non-verbally persuading him to reveal his hand to her. Cedric hesitated for a moment but Hermione tugged again – firmly, this time. He softly sighed and pulled his hand out. Hermione winced when she saw the fresh cuts on the back of his right hand. She had seen it on Harry's and the disconcerted pain she felt then seemed to double now.

"It's not that bad."

"Cedric, this is corporal punishment at one of its worst." Hermione said with a flash of anger.

"It will heal."

"It doesn't change the fact that she's not supposed to give out such detentions and that your hand is now barely able to even hold a quill." Hermione argued. "It's absolutely absurd and abhorrent for a professor to do something like this to a student who was merely expressing his opinions."

Cedric chuckled lightly, "Didn't Haden told you? I wasn't merely expressing, I actually shouted right back at her."

"It's still an expression of an opinion, just with a notch higher tone of voice." Hermione answered defiantly. Cedric smiled. "Have you tried going to Madam Pomfrey for a healing cream of some sort?"

"No, I didn't want to give her a scare." Cedric said with an amused smile.

"Just like Harry. Always thinking about others before yourselves." Hermione muttered. She sighed lightly. "Did you try healing the Muggle way?"

"Place pressure on it to stop the blood, before rinsing it clean?"

"Yes." Cedric nodded. "But it's still so furiously red." Hermione hesitantly reached out her hand to touch Cedric's. Her cool hand was a contrast to his warm one. Hermione's fingers gingerly traced the marks on the otherwise fair skin. A torrent of emotions flooded her as she felt bitter resentment and anger rising within her at Umbridge, while upset and despondency filled her heart at Cedric's hand.

"It will be fine by tomorrow." Cedric softly said.

"And only to get worse tomorrow night." Hermione answered.

Cedric stifled a groan. 'Did Whitlock really had to let that information out as well?' "Granger, I'm alright, it's not as if I'm bleeding to death with it. Besides, if you would like, you could always give it a kiss to heal it." He joked in attempt to make her laugh.

"We're not in a fairytale." Hermione dryly answered although a small smile cracked at her lips.

"So you can't be the princess to my prince charming?" Hermione almost fell off with laughter if it wasn't for Cedric quickly grabbing her by her wrist to hold her steady. "It's nice to know my mere words can provide you such humor."

"I'm sorry – I hadn't meant to laugh." Hermione explained as she tried to smother her laughter. "It is a rather flattering statement, really." Cedric eyed her with interest. "Though awfully hilarious."

"I suppose Hermione Granger is impervious to whispers of sweet nothings." Cedric said with a frown. He exhaled sharply.

"Oh come on Cedric, it really was funny. Look, I'll let you try again – and I promise I won't laugh this time."

"And you'll give an appropriate human response instead of a hyena's answer?"

"Yes."

"Will you be the princess to my prince?"

"That depends if you have a country to inherit and a crown jewel for my head." Hermione answered with a straight face. Cedric laughed.

"That's your appropriate human response?"

"Well, I would like to see you try." Hermione answered, slightly indignantly. "Will you be the prince to my princess?"

"Quite likely if you allow me a kiss on your fair lips, my princess." Cedric said with a half-smirk upon his lips.

"Oh and that fares better than mine?"

"At least my request in return was feasible."

"You asked for my chastity."

"You asked for a country." Cedric retorted.

The both of them looked at each other in incredulity before the ridiculousness of the situation dawned on them. Laughter spilled from their lips as they realize how silly they sounded and how dim-witted their conversation had been. Cedric ran his left hand through his hair, "You really are one of a kind, Granger. I can't recall if I've ever met anyone like you."

"Of course not." Hermione answered with a frown. "There's only one of me and it isn't possible for anyone else to behave exactly like me."

Cedric laughed again. "Rather impudent, aren't we?"

"It comes from being around you too much." Hermione teased. "I suppose it's rubbed off on me." Cedric snorted in response. He looked down at his hand again, tentatively moving his fingers. "Does it still hurt?" Hermione asked as she noticed his actions.

"As much as I would like to agree with the phrase – laughter's the best medicine, I'm afraid it doesn't hold justice in my situation."

"I wish I could do something." Hermione said despondently.

"You could always be my hand." Cedric offered.

Hermione laughed. "Are you still going on about that? Honestly, you've got to stop with your odd fixations. First the weather, and now appendages. "

"What's odd about it is that these fixations all relate to you."

Hermione bit her lower lip to prevent a smile from revealing the warm feelings that was rising rapidly within her. Her cheeks however, colored themselves in a light flush of red. The very boy who was sitting next to her, a crooked smile on his lips, ruffled dark hair that just got messier as he absent-mindedly run his hand through it again, and steel grey orbs that saw beyond her exterior appearance – was the cause of the warm feelings.

"Granger, Diggory, how lovely it is for the both of you to be spending a night out in the Great Hall." Both of them turned around with a startled look at the entrance of the Great Hall. Their eyes widened when they were greeted by Professor Snape. "I suppose the both of you wouldn't mind spending it in the dungeons as well, cleaning out the cauldrons that your classmates have dirtied today."

"Professor Snape –" Hermione began.

"Silence. The statement was not a proposal, but a decision. Thirty points each from Gryffindor and Hufflepuff for being out of your dormitories at such late hours. And another ten more points seeing as the both of you are prefects." Snape said with a smirk. "Now come along the both of you."

Hermione and Cedric dejectedly stood up and followed the Potions professor out of the Great Hall and into the dungeons. "Granger?" Cedric whispered as they walked into the cold and dimly-lit corridors, Snape several feet ahead of them.

"Yes?" Hermione whispered back.

"Do you remember your ideal way of going through fifth-year?"

Hermione nodded before abruptly turning to look at Cedric with a scowl. "I said it didn't involved being thrown into detention for being caught sneaking around with a seventh-year Hufflepuff prefect. And now here we are."

"Always believe in the impossible, Granger." Cedric snickered.

"Oh sod off."

"Good morning, Granger."

"Hand." Cedric pulled back in surprise at Hermione's sudden request. She held her own hand out expectantly. "Well, come on, let me take a look at it." Cedric let out a small sigh for exaggeration as he held his hand out for her inspection. "Cedric, the marks are rather obvious." She said with a pointed look, concern lacing her voice.

"I know. Hopefully it would go away."

"Harry's hasn't." Hermione answered with a solemn look.

"Harry had it worse than I did. This is just two detentions' worth, I'm sure it's nothing to worry about." Cedric gently said and tried to get her to look up at him. "My face is up here, Granger; I would appreciate it if you would refrain from talking to my hand." He teased.

"Sorry." Hermione looked at him with an apologetic smile. "I find it easier to talk to your hand than it is to your face." Cedric's expression turned into a mix of amusement and intrigue. "You're too tall, at least a head taller? I'd have to look up whenever I talk to you. It does little for my confidence on my stature."

"You're not short, just vertically-challenged." Cedric was answered with a scowl. "So what are you doing out here on a lovely January morning with none of your friends in sight?" Cedric breathed in the cold morning air and leaned back against the large tree they were under as he waited for her response. Most of the students were indoors, preferring the warmth of their common room's fire than the coldness of the outdoors.

"Studying." Hermione said, focusing her attention on the book in her hands. "I can't seem to get my mind around this star's location because it doesn't quite seem to be at where it's supposedly is in the sky when I last checked. Maybe I've gotten it wrong." Cedric casually looked over her shoulder. "Well, at least I've gotten the others right." She lightly sighed, "At least the planets are less confusing with its minimal count instead of the stars with its hundreds of existence.

"I could always help you if you'd like."

"And earn another detention with you for creeping around the castle in the middle of the night?" Cedric's lips quirk in a grin. "No, thank you. I'd rather not."

"Have you heard the news?"

"Whatever about?"

"Apparently someone has spread word about us sneaking around in the Great Hall and Snape caught us at our rendezvous." Cedric answered nonchalantly. Hermione's eyes widened. "I just thought I should warn you beforehand."

"Does the news involve something along the lines of – Hermione Granger and Cedric Diggory, secret lovers?"

"Possibly. Though I reckon the latest version should be – Hermione Granger and Cedric Diggory, soon to be married?"

Hermione snorted amusedly. "Typical rumors."

"It's not bothering you at all?"

"The insufferable and uncouth stories Rita Skeeter published last year provided me a fair share of these nonsense to prepare myself for any more." Hermione shrugged. "I suppose I've learned to bear with it and to turn a deaf ear."

"Very maturely taken." Cedric said with an approving smile.

"Does this bother you then?"

"Why would it? Part of it is true – we were in the Great Hall at a late hour and Snape caught us. It's just the whole relationship part that remains vague."

"What's so vague about it?" Hermione asked with curious eyes as she closed her book and focused her whole attention on him.

Cedric bit his lower lip for a moment before slowly beginning, "For starters, we are friends, but to which point are we friends? Perhaps we've crossed that line but we haven't quite notice it yet because we hadn't mean to cross that line. It's possible that somewhere along something else grew but neither you, nor me, found a need to address it." Cedric picked a blade of grass in his hand, examined it for a moment before blowing it away. "I'll speak for myself in saying that I know I haven't address it simply because I was awaiting to see the reaction on the other end. It's a little bit maddening but nevertheless, it keeps me on my toes." He stopped and looked over at her with a firm gaze. "I'd love to hear your take on this though."

Hermione's gaze shifted to the ground for a moment as if she was quickly mulling his words in her head, before looking up at Cedric again. "I think not addressing it is a matter of hesitance – not denial, just tentative. As for the line, perhaps we have crossed it but it hasn't gotten to the point where we feel it needs to be urgently dealt with. A matter of confidence or usual indecisiveness?"

"Confidence would be the way to put it. I think it's a mutual trust in the other's feelings." Cedric thoughtfully answered. "Trusting in the sense that each knows full well of the opposite's standing in the heart and of his, or hers, standing in the other's heart likewise."

"Fairly said." Hermione smiled.

"Although I must ask, how high am I placed as compared to Harry and Ron?"

Hermione laughed, "It's not on the pedestal if that's what you are going for."

Cedric laughed quietly and pulled himself up. He held out his right hand to her. "Borrow me your warmth, Miss Granger?" Hermione noticed his hand was as bare as it was almost a week ago in Hogsmeade. Her own hands were snugly gloved however. She shot him a suspicious look as something clicked in her head.

"You didn't forget your gloves, you left them on purpose. Didn't you?"

"What? Of course not." Cedric answered as if she had just said he had lied to her face without blinking, 'Which of course, I'm not. Not exactly anyway. I didn't leave them anywhere on purpose, they are in my pocket but I just don't see the need to bring it out.' Hermione looked at him with a frown as if examining if he was telling the truth. Cedric kept an unaffected gaze. With an inaudible mutter, she pulled out her left glove, much to Cedric's surprise, before taking his hand.

"It's only fair if you borrow me your warmth as I lend you mine." Hermione said matter-of-factly. A pleased grin crossed Cedric's features and his steel grey eyes colored with mirth. He pulled her to her feet and they began threading through the thick snow that covered the Hogwarts grounds. It started to snow again, and the both of them looked up in surprise and delight as little spheres of white came falling down on them. Cedric playfully tugged Hermione closer to him and guffawed when she bumped her head on his shoulder. He reached out his free hand and rubbed her forehead with a soft chuckle. Hermione resisted the urge to poke him in the sides for the tacky endearment, though her lips were tugging upwards. Instead, she nudged him back in the shoulder. Cedric looked at her in surprise. She grinned. As they threaded the snow that was above their ankles, the pair amusedly nudged one another in simple humor as their fingers interlaced with each others. They walked around the lake, towards the greenhouses, talking as they went. Their conversation ranged from books to past historical wizards and figures, Muggles to the Ministry of Magic, and even Crookshanks and house-elves. Cedric gently steered the conversation away from the last topic by informing Hermione the house-elves at Hogwarts were as happy as they can be and as for the others, well, she would require more research before attempting to set them all free without their own free-will and lead them to go barking mad at the loss of a home.

"Don't put them out of their homes so soon, Granger. Not all of them are horribly mistreated. Jingle for instance, if you'd allow me to brag, happily lives in his own cozy nook in our home with a freedom to visit other house-elves as he likes so as long as he returns in time for mom's daily gardening before supper. So you see, some actually love being where they are, though some may be oppressed, but don't jump into a generalization just yet." Cedric tactfully advised.

Hermione nodded considerably at his words, much to his relief. He had heard from Harry about S.P.E.W. and as much as he understood its cause, he knew full well that the house-elves wouldn't be too happy to be freed without knowing it.

"Will you join S.P.E.W. though?"

"Two sickles for the cause, right?" Seeing her eyebrow rose, Cedric helpfully said, "Harry told me about it. We were in the Hospital Wing after the third task and it happened to come up in our conversation. Anything was better than having those recurring visions of the graveyard."

"So you will join then?"

"I suppose." Cedric answered good-naturedly.

When it was almost time for lunch, they head back towards the castle, still in conversation. As soon as they reached the front doors, their hands slipped away from each other's. Cedric murmured a 'thank you' into her ear before walking away, leaving a smile permanently etched onto Hermione's face. She proceeded into the Great Hall. Upon her entrance however, whispers and glances were immediately directed at her but Hermione simply chose to ignore them as she proceeded to the Gryffindor table.

"Hermione, is the news true?" Katie excitedly asked as soon as the fifth-year sat down. The other girls at the table quickly huddled around, the boys simply looked on – pretending not to be too interested but their ears were equally tuned in to the response.

"Which version are we on at the moment?" Hermione wearily asked.

"The one where you and Cedric are planning to elope because you are not sure if your parents would accept someone two years ahead of you." Ginny supplied helpfully.

"It's gotten to that extent?" Hermione said in utter amazement. 'Creativity never seems to lack in the minds of humans when it comes to gossips.'

"Well, there is another one about Diggory's parents disapproving of you because of your Muggle background and he was debating if he should break up with you." Lavender Brown said.

"We are not even together, how could we possibly break up?" Hermione replied with a laugh.

"Hermione, you have to let us know which is true and which isn't." Ginny said, a little exasperatedly, "it's hard to keep up with all the new versions that keeps popping up." Lavender and Parvati Patil nodded their heads in agreement.

"So don't. Listen, Cedric and I were merely talking that night, here, in the Great Hall. You'd have all recalled Whitlock told us about his detention with Umbridge." Everyone nodded in unison. "Well, we were talking about that until Snape came about and decided that we made perfect candidates to clean the cauldrons in the Potions classroom. That's about it."

"Would you happen to know who started this?" Ginny asked. Hermione shook her head with a small frown.

"Cheer up Hermione, at least you are being rumored about with Hogwarts' Prince Charming." Katie said as she exchanged a giggle with Alicia. The boys unanimously groaned but quickly shut up when the girls shot them scowls in unison.

"Girls." Seamus muttered irritably. Hermione looked over at the Hufflepuff table and saw Cedric smiling ruefully as he explained the very same truth to his housemates. He caught her eye for a brief second and his smile widened a bit before his gaze shifted away. Hermione looked down at her plate of roast beef and fried tomatoes with a smile.

Since it was a weekend, Hermione had the rest of her day free of classes but instead of having time to herself in the library, she found herself with Harry in the midst of their Common Room – talking about relationships. Apparently, Harry and Cho had shared a kiss during Christmas and the former was now wondering what he should do next. Usually, such conversations would not be brought up in such a public place, but most of the Gryffindors were off and about and the other minority was too occupied in their games or conversations to bother with Harry and Hermione. Hermione bit her tongue to prevent herself from telling Harry off that she was not an expert in matters of the heart, seeing as the lad seemed rather troubled with his not quite relationship. She listened attentively and nodded when appropriate as her mind worked around on figuring an answer to provide him.

"So, what would you suggest Hermione? You're a girl, and I reckon you would understand her more than I would."

"Have you tried asking Cedric?"

Harry's eyebrows furrowed as he shook his head. "Hermione, you don't ask the ex-boyfriend of the girl for advice on how to approach her."

"Right." Hermione gave a brief nod. "Well, you could always ask her out. I suppose she'd like that, spending time with you alone instead of sharing you with everyone else during DA meetings."

"Where should we go?"

"Harry, I'm not quite too sure about this." Hermione admitted. "But Hogsmeade would be good, you could go Honeydukes together, or go for a cup of tea."

"I already asked her to go with me to Hogsmeade for Valentine's Day actually." Harry admitted with a bashful smile. "But surely there's got to be other things. What do you usually do with Cedric?"

Hermione almost fell off the couch she was sitting on upon Harry's question. "Harry, you do know that Cedric and I aren't going out." She whispered.

"But the both of you are often together – just the two of you." Harry said with a wry smile.

"As good friends." Hermione hissed.

"For now." Harry added. He laughed. "Come on Hermione, I know I wear glasses but that doesn't mean I'm blind."

"Well, they are awfully thick." Hermione pointed out.

"Funny, Hermione." Harry said with a small frown at her before he continued, "As far as I know, Cedric fancies you, more than you would probably think." Hermione quirked an eyebrow. "Trust me 'Mione. We've been speaking quite frequently, and the number of times 'Granger' comes out in our conversation is more than anyone could pass off as coincidental." Harry moved closer to Hermione, "And if I'm right – you fancy him too." He drew back with a grin.

"Not a word to anyone, Harry."

"My tongue tends to slip rather easily."

Hermione rolled her eyes, "What is it that you want you little blackmailer?"

Harry laughed again. "'Mione, that's an awful nickname to give someone who obviously cares about you tremendously much."

"And a dramatic prat while he's at it." Hermione added with an amused smirk.

"Your secret's safe with me. Though I would appreciate a little help with my Potions essay, if you don't mind."

"Hand it over, Potter."

Harry grinned and dug out his roll of parchment from his bag on the ground. Hermione shot him a mock scowl with a resentful grab of his parchment, and Harry chuckled as he sat himself comfortably beside her. The two Gryffindors spent the rest of their afternoon going over Harry's Potions essay – and the latter's Astronomy and History of Magic essays while they were at it.

"Thanks 'Mione." Harry said as he carefully rolled up the parchments when they were finally done.

"You're welcome." Hermione absent-mindedly answered as she stretched her arms.

"Cedric's definitely lucky to have you." Hermione stopped and stared at Harry. Harry smiled, "I'll make sure he knows that. If he ever causes as much as a tear to fall, I'll promise to hex him for all it's worth."

"Thanks Harry. But do try to leave him intact alright?"

As Valentine's Day rolled around closer, the students of Hogwarts began buzzing with excited murmurs as girls and boys alike decided it was a perfect occasion to declare their affections much to the vexation of the professors. Note-passing was rampant, so was constant whisperings, while occasional giggles from the female students among themselves would interrupt the classes. Hermione in particular, was equally irritated by the constant disruptions. She saw Valentine's Day as nothing more but an overly-commercialized day that's overtly fussed about. Cedric had good-naturedly said it provided a day for unrequited lovers to proclaim their fondness while Haden commented the former only said so because Cedric had an awfully sweet tooth for chocolates and he knew he would be receiving quite an armful come Valentine's morning. "He's spoilt for choice come every Valentine's." Haden said as the three of them sat at the same table in the library one evening.

"And I don't suppose you don't like receiving all those chocolates either, Whitlock?" Hermione's eyes widened with interest as a curious smile graced her lips. Haden wasn't too bad in his looks – in fact, next to Cedric, he faired rather well. Blond hair with hints of brown when looked closely, dark eyes that twinkled with mirth, and a charming grin that easily gained appreciative sighs from the girls. "He always picks out all the dark chocolates that he receives and gives the rest to other lads." Cedric said to Hermione with a shake of his head.

"That's terrible."

"I'm just particularly fond of them. A guy can have his preferences can't he?" Haden shrugged with a wry smile.

"Prat." Cedric rolled his eyes.

"Twat." Haden replied. Hermione silently laughed and shook her head.

So when the morning of Valentine's eve came around, the owls came in a flurry of wings and letters and packages into the Great Hall. It seemed as if not one student was left without a delivery for the day, and it seemed as if everyone was eager to secure a date for the following day. Harry was surprised to find a few packages dropped onto his table, along with a few letters which suspiciously smelled like perfume for each one. Ron even had a package and a few letters addressed to him. Hermione however, was the most surprised one when a package and two letters were dropped onto her plate of bacon and eggs. She eyed them with a slight frown of suspicion before carefully fishing them out from her breakfast.

"Who sent them to you?" Ginny eagerly asked. The younger witch had received almost an armful of packages and an admirable pile of letters. It was not a hidden fact that she was becoming a pretty young lady in her own right, catching the fancy of many.

"I don't know." Hermione answered as she opened the package first. Harry and Ron curiously looked over as well. The brown paper unveiled a silver tin box with a red bow tied horizontally across. Hermione opened it to be greeted by the sweet smell of chocolate truffles.

"Truffles!" Ron excitedly said. He attempted to reach his hand out for one but Ginny immediately swatted it away with a frown and a resounding slap on his hand.

Hermione picked up the piece of parchment that sat atop the truffles and quickly scanned the short message. 'Just thought I should extend the courtesy to a brilliant young witch.' She read.

"Who is it from?" Ginny prompted. Hermione looked up from the parchment and over to the Hufflepuff table. She smiled brightly when she caught the gaze of the sender and he immediately smiled back. Ginny looked to see who it was and a frown cross her features again at the sight of the supposed sender. "Whitlock?"

Hermione shrugged good-naturedly, "It's a friendly gesture." She looked back down at the parchment again, 'P.S – There's dark chocolate among the truffles, mind keeping them aside for me? Thanks Granger.' A small laughter emitted from her lips.

"Well, what about the letters?" Hermione picked up one of the letter and carefully tore across at the top before sliding its contents out. She unfolded the parchment and read it at a close distance, leaning away from the prying eyes of a curious and overtly excited Ginny. Ginny watched as the fifth-year's eyebrows furrowed, a brief smile graced her lips, and finally a bite of her lower lip. "Well, who is it?"

Hermione looked at Ginny with a faintly pleased smile, "Terry Boot." She softly said to avoid the attentive ears of Ron and Harry.

"I knew it. He was absolutely amazed at your Protean Charm and your, as I quote, extraordinary wizarding skills for a fifth year." Ginny grinned. "What did he say?"

"He said the exact same thing as you just did in the letter Ginny." Hermione answered amusedly. Ginny looked at her eagerly, as if waiting for more and knowing that there was more. "And he politely asked if I would like to go Hogsmeade with him tomorrow."

Ginny beamed for a moment before a frown appeared. "Doesn't he know that Cedric and you are going out?"

"We're not going out." Hermione quickly hissed. She distinctly heard Harry's snort and looked up at him with a glare.

"But at DA meetings –"

"Just very good friends, Ginny." Hermione interjected with a tone of finality. She folded Terry's letter and carefully placed it aside before picking up the second. The handwriting looked familiar and with a little more feelings of intrigue, Hermione opened the second letter quicker than the one before. By the time she got to the end of the letter, she felt flattered but slightly uneasy as she folded it and placed it in its envelope again.

"Who was that from?" Ginny asked as she sorted through her pile of letters. When Hermione didn't reply her immediately, Ginny turned her attention to the fifth-year witch. "Hermione?"

Hermione's gaze shifted to Ginny before averting itself down the table and back again to Ginny. "Seamus?" Hermione whispered meekly.

"Merlin –"

Hermione clasped a hand on Ginny's mouth. "Shush. Don't attract his attention, will you?" She pulled her hand away.

"But that's so unexpected." Ginny whispered hurriedly. "I never would've guessed. Ron and Harry are going to hex him over this."

"No, they won't."

"If they find out, they will. Well, what did his letter say?"

"Hogsmeade." Hermione replied matter-of-factly.

"Are you going with him, or with Terry Boot?"

Hermione stared at Ginny, "I'm still trying to take in the fact that a fellow Gryffindor and a Ravenclaw had just asked me to Hogsmeade."

"Well, digest it soon. You have a decision to make. Although I'm not quite sure why did Terry Boot approach you when he knows there's something going on between you and Cedric," Hermione rolled her eyes at Ginny's words but didn't bother saying anything, "I suppose with Seamus, I can understand – he hasn't been in DA to know of the going-ons between you and Cedric." Ginny mused. "But where is Cedric in all of this? Shouldn't he have asked you out? Or send you chocolates?"

Hermione shrugged wearily. The Hufflepuff prefect wasn't at his table though his empty spot beside Haden was loaded with packages and letters. She hadn't seen him for the morning when usually he would be just outside the Great Hall, seemingly waiting; – it appeared to be a habit the Hufflepuff had recently acquired. Harry and Ron had even grown accustomed to seeing Cedric by the double doors with Haden beside him, or a few other friends, and they would all walk in together, more often than not, Cedric would be by Hermione's side until they reached their respective tables. "Ginny, I'm sure he's occupied with his own matters for the day."

"But it's Valentine's." Ginny said, almost scandalized.

"And it has nothing to do with me."

Ginny narrowed her eyes, "He's a complete prat to not ask you to Hogsmeade or anywhere else for that matter."

Hermione bit her lower lip as she tried not to laugh. 'How is it possible that she's the one annoyed with Cedric's absence of letters or chocolates, and I'm not?' "What about your letters, who sent them?" Her question prompted Ginny to eye her warily before giving a small sigh as the fourth-year witch started to sift through her letters to answer Hermione's question. Hermione watched as Ginny tore her letters open, but her mind was elsewhere. Her mind was partly focused on wondering the whereabouts of Cedric Diggory while the other half was still digesting the fact she had just been asked to Hogsmeade by two rather charming young lads. By the time she was finished with breakfast, and Ginny had finally completed her pile of letters – "All of them were really sweet and nice, but I'm still spending it with Michael." the redhead beamed – Hermione had decided she wasn't giving another thought to Valentine's, though she would probably politely turn down Terry and Seamus' invites later, but instead focused on what she had arranged for Harry for the next day. Something which could possibly offer them a chance to inform the wizarding world the whole truth from the smothering that was done by the Ministry. Hermione gathered her things and excused herself from her friends, rushing off to locate Luna Lovegood for a final confirmation of details.

So distracted she was with her plans for Harry that when dinner came around, Hermione realized her intended polite refusal had completely slipped her mind and she had yet to give a response to either boy. Harry had learned of Seamus' invitation with a slight lethal glint flashed in his green eyes – and faded when she immediately told him of her planned decline. "Well, that's good, I suppose. Just make sure Ron doesn't catch wind of this." Hermione rolled her eyes and wondered if all boys had some sort of best friend complex, if said best friend is a girl. Lavender and Parvati had attempted to get her to tell them who her letters and package were from but she effectively dodged them by sitting far away from them as possible in classes and walking at a tremendous pace when they had to go from one class to another. Ron of course, was equally inquisitive, but she managed to put Harry between them at all times – serving as a successful distraction and impediment. Hermione apprehensively sat down at the Gryffindor table, carefully avoiding the gazes of Terry and Seamus. Ginny shot her a bewildered look and Hermione answered with a despondent look.

"What's wrong?" Ginny leaned forward to Hermione in concern.

"I haven't given either one of them an answer." Hermione softly replied.

A thoughtful look fell upon Ginny's features before she looked at Hermione with a wide grin. "I'll go tell them to meet you at the Entrance Hall, at the giant hourglasses – at different times of course, and you can just tell them there without having to pull an excuse to go talk to them face to face when they are with their friends. Since it's dinner, I'm quite sure no one's going to leave the Great Hall for at least another hour." Hermione beamed. "I'll tell Seamus and then go over to the Ravenclaw table on the pretext of talking to Michael. Ten minute intervals okay?"

Hermione nodded and casually excused herself from the table, unaffectedly walking out of the Great Hall. When Seamus appeared five minutes later, she offered a warm smile to the Gryffindor and gently told him she was pleased to receive his invitation but unfortunately, she couldn't make it as she had plans of her own which didn't quite involve anything Valentine's Day-related. Seamus nodded his head good-naturedly and offered a friendly handshake before retreating back into the Great Hall. Terry had taken to it just as gentlemanly as Seamus did, much to Hermione's relief. "Breaking the hearts of the poor lads, I see?" Hermione whirled around in fright at Cedric Diggory's sudden voice. She glared as Cedric nonchalantly walked up to her.

"How long have you been, wherever it is you had been sneakily hiding, and listening in?" Hermione demanded.

"I wasn't sneakily hiding, just conveniently discreet from your line of vision." Cedric smirked. "And long enough to hear you rejecting both lads."

"Where were you the whole day?"

"I had things to do. Dumbledore had wanted to see me. And I think you'd have a fairly good idea what's it about." Hermione's eyebrows knitted together. "A gathering for the good in an apparently grimy home with an adorable pet and a barking portrait, almost literally for the latter."

"You mean –"

"Yes. You're looking at the newest addition. Youngest too, I might add."

"Cedric, that's great." Hermione hurled herself to Cedric, capturing him in a sudden hug. Cedric chuckled.

"Thanks. I'm still unofficial until I complete my final year but nevertheless recognized by the others." Cedric said as Hermione began to pull herself back from him. "Now, about tomorrow, you really aren't going to be with any lad, are you?"

Hermione pulled herself from his grasp. "Well, I won't say I'll be completely by myself without a lad."

It was Cedric's turn to have his eyebrows knitted together in confusion as he took a step closer to Hermione. "You have got to be kidding me."

"No." Hermione honestly answered with a shake of her head.

Cedric groaned. "I knew I should have it done sooner."

"Done what sooner?"

"It doesn't quite matter now." Cedric said with a slight frown on his features. He ran a hand through his hair in slight evident frustration. He shook his head once and looked at Hermione, "You're not – in any manner, attracted to someone else are you?"

"What?" Hermione stifled a laugh. "Honestly Cedric." She shook her head in disbelief as mirth filled her brown orbs.

"Well, I wasn't expecting Finnigan and Boot to suddenly declare themselves to you, what do you expect me to make out of it?"

"You weren't expecting someone would actually notice me." Hermione pointed out in amusement.

"Of course anyone would take notice of you." Cedric said. "I just didn't think they would be so bloody upfront and audacious about it." He muttered to himself.

"Look, Cedric, I'm going to have my dinner now. Do try to refrain from talking to yourself too often. It's a first sign of delusion. If you hear a voice in your head replying you, you should really be extra cautious. And if you hear more than one, well, I'd advise a trip to St. Mungo's." Hermione said with an impish smile and walked off in the direction of the Great Hall, as Cedric stared after her. "Oh, and Cedric?" Hermione stopped and turned to look at him. "Always believe in the impossible." She teased.

When Valentine's morning arrived, more owls arrived with various colorful letters and packages and the Great Hall erupted with glees and squeals from the girls, hoots and shouts from the boys, singing and poetry recital – from charmed cards and letters, in short – the Great Hall was in a pandemonium of love confessions. Cedric Diggory stared at his breakfast, not quite sure what to make out of the day. Girls had come up to him with shy smiles before collapsing into fits of nervous, and thrilled, giggles with their friends when he politely smiled back. The owls had been dropping packages and letters on his breakfast more than enough to put him out of any appetite. Haden, seated beside him, eyed him interest but said nothing as the former sifted through his own packages, hoping to detect with his olfactory senses which contained dark chocolates and otherwise. Cedric had been late to breakfast today, having woken up later than he usually would. He looked over at the Gryffindor table where a particular dark-haired witch sat next to Ron. She was too preoccupied in her conversation with her group of friends to take notice of his gaze. Cedric felt a frown at his lips and looked away.

"Will you stop looking as if I had just hexed your pet?" Cedric looked at Haden. "And to think you don't even have a pet." Haden shook his head. "Out with it Diggory, what's wrong with you?"

"I never thought I'd see the day Haden Whitlock's actually being sincerely concerned for my well-being."

"Whatever are you talking about?" Haden snorted. "I just want to get to the bottom of the problem that's hindering me from completely enjoying my breakfast without having a scowling prefect beside me, and from getting to your batch of dark chocolates."

"Granger." Cedric answered simply as he picked at a package, curiously pealing off the brown wrapper.

"Didn't you send her anything yesterday?"

"No."

"Why not?"

"I was preoccupied with other matters." Cedric pulled out a card and a small box containing milk chocolates. He smiled at the chocolates before looking down the row where his house's first years sat. Cedric nodded his head in a friendly manner of acknowledgment with a smile at a first-year with soft curls framing her young, slightly freckled, face and tanned skin. She blushed and shyly smiled back at him. It was Cedric's usual courteous approach to every girl who gave him a card, or a chocolate, or anything at all, on Valentine's Day. 'And if I don't – Mom's bound to give me an earful about proper manners.'

"And you didn't think someone would be brave enough to actually approach Diggory The Great Prat's girl." Haden smirked.

"She's not mine. And I'm not The Great Prat, you incorrigible fiend." Cedric shot his best friend a frown.

Haden patted Cedric on the back. "You missed an r in the last word, mate. I believe you meant friend. Anyhow, I trust Granger would have declined her potential suitors."

"She did."

A quizzical look plastered itself on Haden's face, "And so what's the great dark scowl about?"

"I'm not scowling."

"Let's not discuss about facial expressions now, Diggory. And I believe it's not jealousy on your end seeing as there's no green-eyed monster clawing at my head, so I'm guessing it's along the lines of how you simply cannot figure out something that Granger said, or did."

"She said she wasn't exactly going to be alone today yet she didn't want to tell me who she'd be with." Cedric explained as he picked at another package absent-mindedly.

"Please tell me someone's got the decency to send you dark chocolates. Why don't girls understand that guys do not fancy overtly saccharine sweet things?" Haden said off-handedly as he pulled the wrapper off a package to see another box filled with chocolate caramel toffees. "Anyway, why don't you just ask her?"

"Because I don't want to be seen as a overprotective git when really, she has her choice to spend time with anyone on any given day." Cedric answered. "Here, dark chocolate-coated pralines." He handed over a few wrapped candies to Haden before looking around for the sender to give his thanks to.

"Lavender, Diggory's looking over here." Hermione, Harry, Ron, Ginny, and others within earshot looked up upon Parvati's excited tone of voice. They saw the Hufflepuff nod his head with a bright smile as he held up a box in his hand. Lavender blushed and giggled in response.

"What a gentleman." Ginny commented appreciatively.

"A gentleman?" Dean repeated curiously.

"Thoughtfully thanking each and every girl who gives him something during Valentine's Day." Ginny explained.

"He does it every single year." Parvati added with a beam.

"No wonder he's Hogwarts Golden Boy." Ron grinned. "Say Harry, going to Hogsmeade today?" He said as he turned to the green-eyed boy. Harry nodded with a small smile. "Good luck, mate."

"Ron, he doesn't need luck. He'll be fine as he is." Hermione said as she looked at Harry with an encouraging smile. Only Ron and Hermione knew of Harry's date with Cho, and how greatly nervous the boy was. When they finished breakfast and everyone trailed out of the Great Hall, almost all in pairs, Hermione and Ron walked slowly behind to allow Harry to catch up with Cho on his own. He had barely reached the Ravenclaw Seeker when Hermione suddenly remembered something. "Oh, no! I forgot to tell Harry." Hermione hurriedly ran after Harry as Ron stared at her bewilderedly. Ron watched as Hermione caught Harry in time to inform him to meet her at The Three Broomsticks at midday. Harry's face colored in bafflement but he nodded anyway. Hermione went into Hogsmeade with Ron, Neville, and Luna, but soon left their side to visit a book shop after promising to meet them much later in the afternoon.

And It wasn't until much later in the afternoon did Cedric finally saw Hermione as she walked out of The Three Broomsticks deep in conversation with Harry, her face aglow with happiness and her hands moving animatedly. Harry had a satisfied grin on his face. He watched in slight amusement as Hermione excitedly converse with Harry, almost like a child on Christmas Day who had spotted Santa. An eyebrow shot up in surprise however, when Hermione suddenly pulled Harry in a hug and the young wizard easily returned it by wrapping his arms around her with a warm smile.

When Harry finally pulled away, he caught sight of Cedric out of the corner of his eye. He smiled at Cedric and informed Hermione of the Hufflepuff prefect's presence with a slight chuckle. "Cedric's here, but I don't think I'm his favorite person at the moment." Hermione turned to look at Cedric before looking back at Harry. "I'll see you back in the Common Room. I think I should try finding Cho."

Hermione nodded. She waited until Harry left before she walked over to Cedric.

"Is that what you meant when you said you weren't going to be by yourself?"

"Yes."

"Why couldn't you have just told me that you were going to be with Harry?"

"Because that's not the complete truth." Hermione answered matter-of-factly. "I was also with Ron and Neville, and Luna of course. But most of the time I was at the book shop before meeting Harry and finally joining the others."

Cedric laughed. "I wish you'd have told me all this yesterday and save me from the sleepless night I had."

"You had a sleepless night over that?" Hermione said incredulously as a small laughter emitted from her.

"Well, I didn't think it was reassuring to know that I didn't have a single card or a chocolate from a particular person. And said person even informed me that she won't be without a lad by her side on, of all days, Valentine's Day."

"I'm sorry." Hermione offered, still with laughter in her voice. "I did get you something but it didn't seem personal to have it delivered by owl." She said as she dug into the pocket of her viridian-colored overcoat. Her hand pulled out a maroon square box, not bigger than three inches in size, and handed it to Cedric. He curiously took it and pulled the black ribbon off. He smiled when he saw six chocolate squares, lightly dusted with dark chocolate powder. "I figured from Whitlock that as much as males enjoy sweet things, occasionally, it still seems a little too effeminate for a male." Hermione explained. "Even for someone with a sweet tooth like yours, it would probably be just the same, though not as finicky as Whitlock is. And I thought chocolate squares would be easier to munch on, instead of messy chocolate balls with various fillings. I was debating how many pieces, but then there was about the consumption of lead, which cocoa beans inevitably have traces in them, so I thought six would serve just nicely." A short chuckle escaped Cedric. "What's so funny?"

"I think no one places as much thought as you do when they give someone chocolates." Cedric answered. "You made this yourself didn't you?"

"Dobby and Winky helped me with them." Hermione replied with a slight flush.

"I'll be sure to thank them later." He grinned.

"That's it?"

"What do mean, that's it?" Cedric asked with a confused frown.

"I heard that Prince Charming gives a proper thank you to every girl who gives him something on Valentine's." Hermione teased.

Cedric almost blushed at her words but caught himself in time to retain an unaffected composure. "Well, you see Granger. You are not just any girl," Hermione looked at him skeptically, "but one of royalty." All inhibitions Hermione had flew out as she burst out in laughter. "So, I reckon you deserve something more than just the usual."

"And what would being a princess ought to have from you then?" Hermione played along.

"A Valentine's present."

"Oh, you really don't have to. Whitlock gave me a good box of truffles and I've hardly gotten around to finishing it yet. Plus, Harry and Ron gave me a trio of Chocolate Frogs, while Fred, George and Lee –"

"Granger," Cedric interjected with a wry smile, "you're not getting chocolates from me."

"I'm not?"

"No. Unless you want to." Cedric's eyebrows furrowed.

"Non-chocolate is fine." Hermione watched as Cedric took out a package from his satchel and handed it over to her. She carefully unwrapped it from its plain wrapper to unveil a soft, sepia-colored leather bounded with tan cords. Hermione looked up at Cedric. She looked down again and untied the cords, revealing its inside to be a photo album with little corners to insert a photo on its page. The first half was already inserted with photos and brief descriptions and dates below each one. Hermione quickly noticed all of the photos were still shots – none of the moving sort. The first page had a photo of her, the very photo that was taken of her by Cedric during their DA meeting. Below was Cedric's handwriting – 'Charming witch with the sharpest tongue, and who thinks her smile isn't pretty enough for a picture – January 13th' Hermione read with a grin. She flipped the page over and saw captured shots of Harry and Ron messing around, pretending their wands were swords; Ginny, Luna and Neville laughing at something Neville had said; Fred teasing Angelina and Katie; George and Lee making horribly odd faces at the camera; Haden, Cedric , George, Ron, Ernie and Dean looking at everywhere else but the camera as they posed with their arms folded; Cho, Marietta, Lavender, Padma and Parvati in a massive group hug with Susan Bones squashed in the middle; amongst the many photos. "How did you do all this?" Hermione marveled.

"I had help from the others for a few of them."

She had even caught sight of photos of Hagrid, Professor McGonagall, The Weasleys, Remus Lupin and Sirius Black, various other members of the Order, and even Professor Dumbledore. She looked up at Cedric, speechless as she tried to form the words in her head.

"That's what took me the whole day. Merlin knows how difficult it was just to get Professor Lupin and Black to behave themselves to take a photo." Cedric said as he pointed at the photo album. Hermione chuckled. "It's charmed by the way, anyone else but you who look into it will not be able to see anything. Well, anyone but you and me." He said as an afterthought. "I know it's a little odd for a Valentine's present but it's a day of love after all, supposedly, so I decided it would be nice to compile photos of people whom you love in a photo album. Sort of like an illustrative memory of love, in honor of the occasion."

Hermione flung herself at Cedric and the Hufflepuff stumbled back a little at the impact but amusedly wrapped his arms around her. "Thank you Cedric. This is really beautiful. And it isn't the least odd." She pulled back with a lone tear falling onto her cheek. Hermione quickly wiped it away with the back of her hand. She looked at her hand for a moment before looking at Cedric, "Harry's going to hex you."

"What?" A bewildered look crossed Cedric's face.

"Just," Hermione shook her head, "be careful of him for the next few days, alright?" She pulled herself from his arms and looked into the photo album again. "It's all still photographs, just like –"

"The Muggle ones." Cedric finished for her. "Although being a witch is part of you, but it's not entirely you. Your interesting Muggle background and lineage, that's who you are."

"So you thought you should present these memories in the manner that's the most natural for me – Muggle." Cedric grinned. Hermione beamed at the Hufflepuff prefect.

"Think I'm rather amazing don't you, Granger?"

"Perhaps." Hermione said with her most nonchalant look but the smile that pulled at her lips gave her away.

Cedric laughed and gallantly offered her his hand with a slight bow of his head, "Allow me to escort you back to the castle." Hermione noted his hand was bare again. She grinned and took off the glove of her right hand without a second thought and slipped her hand into his.

Continua llegint

You'll Also Like

37.2K 983 26
[COMPLETE] [BOOK ONE] In Hermione Granger's fourth year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, she finds herself falling for the most popular...
15.6K 354 18
After Cho Chang and Ron Weasley leaves the school Cedric Diggory starts to date Hermione Granger But Cedric is not that all of a good boy your know h...
292 38 9
"So I guess you like the lake, huh?" "What makes you think that?" She smiled and leaned her head to the side like a puppy "Well we always come her wh...
359K 9.9K 51
Cedric Diggory during his 6th year at Hogwarts was well known. But not as well known as you knew Cedric. Or how well you knew the future. As Cedric/G...