BOOT STRAPS

By AbadeOghenekeno

You know that feeling when there are lots of responsibilities and things you have to do pulling you down alon... More

Graduation
He's a mafia Lord
GoodBye Andre !
Divorce
I'm leaving home
You got it skai !
Responsibilities
Dinner
Threats
Goodbye Sekani
The Contract
A new Boss
Confrontation
Wake up call
More Responsibilities
Black Roses
Fears
New York City
New Actions
The Uncle
Complications
Revelations
The Deal
The Note
Moving In
Going Home
Standing Up
The Bomb
Loose Ends
Wet Cheeks
Taking Actions
Twisted Turns
Finding Peace
Heated Arguments
Grabbing The Horns
Gloomy Clouds
Needing Him
The Request
Double Happiness
Mood Swing
Seat of Authority
It's Official
A New Journey
Life Is a Mist
Abrasive Side
Tight Knot
Untameable Anger
Bad Hair Day
High State of Euphoria
Reconcilation
Shattering Glasses
Double Faced
Bloody Hands
Here Comes The Boom
Change of Plans
Reassurance
Entrapped
Failed Attempt
Breath of Relief
Epilogue

Coming Back

59 12 0
By AbadeOghenekeno

I heard loud noises from outside and I stood up from where I laid. I rushed outside and I saw multiple bodies laying lifeless on the grass.

I turned around to see if anyone was out there and that was when my eyes landed on Andre. He shirt was covered with stains of blood and he had a machete in his hand.

I took to my heels and ran with all my strength, he chased after me with the most wicked look on his face. I tripped on the grass and I couldn't stand up which made it easy for him to catch up with me.

He rose his hand that was holding the machete, probably aiming for my head which made me scream at the peak of my voice. That was when reality rushed into me and I woke up from my sleep with a strong force.

My heart was racing and I couldn't control my breath. A figure got up from one of the couch and rushed towards me.

"Hey hey hey calm down, it's just a night mare." Drake said as he sat on the couch where I laid and he put his hands around me wrapping me in a hug.

"H-h-he w-was ....."I stuttered trying to tell Drake what the dream was about.

"It's okay I've had night mares too, you're safe here."He rubbed my back in a soothing way.

I cried on the shoulders of Drake, I watched as my tears soaked his shirt. He pat my hair as I cried.

I took in a deep breath and exhaled deeply. I was able to calm myself in the arms of Drake who continuously stroke my hair. We were silent for a while as we remained in that position.

"Were you sleeping in the couch too ?"I broke the silence after a moment of silence.

"Yeah, I had to watch over you."I broke the hug but my hands were still around him.

"Why ?! You shouldn't have." I said looking into his eyes.

"Skai it's fine, that should be least of your worries, now go back to sleep."He got up from the couch and ushered me to lay down.

"See you in the morning."He walked over the couch on the other end of the room and laid there.

"Thank you Drake."I whispered and he slightly nodded as he pulled the duvet over his body.

#########

I woke up having a slight headache. I sat up on the couch. A sweet aroma tingled in my nose, I guess someone was cooking something delicious.

I walked into the kitchen and a lady probably in her mid forties was flipping pancakes. She was average in height with a pale skin and she had her hair in a thick bun which complemented the floral dress she had on. She looked up at me and gave me a warm smile.

"Good morning."She said as she put some pancakes into a dish.

"Morning, you are ?"I wondered who she was because I didn't see her here last night.

"Monica, I'm the maid."She gave a quick bow before returning to her work.

I took a seat in one of the high stools behind the kitchen counter. I looked down at the dishes which had pancakes in them. They looked really good.

"Good morning Skai !"The twins melodiously greeted me as they stormed into the kitchen.

"Hmmm pancakes !" Busayo exclaimed as she reached out for one of the dishes.

Monica turned sharply away from the burner and held Busayo's hands, stopping her from taking the dish.

"That's for Mr Drake, you can take any other dish."Monica gave the twins a stern look but the twins didn't look  bothered as they took from the other dishes.

"What's the deal if she took this one ?"I asked her with an arched brow pointing at the dish meant for Drake.

"Anytime I cook, I make one dish especially for him. It's my way of showing appreciation for all the kindness he has shown to me."She blinked her eyes repeatedly as she took the dishes off the counter.

"Let's go have breakfast."She went out of the kitchen and I gave the twins a look and they shrugged and trailed after her.

We were all seated at the table prepared to eat then Becky rushed down the stairs and grabbed a piece of pancake from my plate and shoved it in her mouth.

"Why the rush ?!"I asked her as she rushed the cup of coffee down her throat.

"I'm super late for work, I'm suppose to be there 1 hour before Drake gets there ."She kissed my forehead and waved the twins bye and dashed towards the front door but for some reason she paused.

She turned around swiftly and gave me an awkward look as she stepped aside revealing a figure at the door.

It was her. It was my mom after five months since she divorced dad and abandoned Sekani and I, she's here. I got up immediately from my seat and walked up to her with clenched fists.

She looked worried and scared, I could see dried tears on her face as she rushed inside and wrapped me in a hug and I didn't return the gesture.

"I think I'd be on my way now. " Becky dashed out of the front door. I looked at my mother with mixed feelings of anger and sadness. It's been so long I saw her.

"What happened to your house ? I went there and there were cops all over, they said it's a crime scene. " She said as she removed her arms from my body and her eyes scanned me to see if I had any physical injuries.

"I think we should take this outside."I gestured for us to walk outside. We walked towards the pool and stopped walking when we reached the pool chairs and we settled down.

"What's going on ?" She asked as she looked over at me.

"Andre vandalized my house." I said as I turned my attention to the pool.

"What ?! Whose blood is dripping in your house and I hope ." I cut her off not wanting to prolong the discussion because this is not what I wanted to talk to her about after five months of not seeing.

"Is this what you really want to talk about now ? After five months ?" My eyes blinked severally as I looked at her with anger.

"I know you are a angry at me because I divorced your father but you have to understand what I was going through."She said as she looked at me with eyes that showed her eye bags and dark rings around them.

"You think I'm angry because you divorced dad ?! You see that's where you get it wrong mom."I looked away from her and my gaze fell upon the body of water peacefully flowing in the pool.

"Then why have you been withdrawn ?" She asked as she shifted towards the edge of her seat so she could be closed to me.

"You abandoned us mom, your divorce with dad was your personal decision to make but that doesn't mean you should leave Sekani and I like we were part of the marriage that you didn't want anything to do with. Mom, I struggled to make ends meet, I sent Sekani to college and were where you and Dad ? Yeah that's right, nowhere to be found and now you're here acting like it's been rosy between us. " I got up from the pool chair and walked closer to the pool.

"Do you think you're the only one who did the struggling ?!" She got up from the chair and walked up to me.

"I worked as a maid for a month before I was fortunate to get a job at a bank and trust me working in a bank at the age of 47 is not worth wishing for. I'm struggling with heavy bills on my neck, I work overtime to make ends meet. I couldn't take you and your brother, y'all wouldn't be here today !"She yelled at me and this time tears were rolling down her cheeks. I turned around to face her.

"But you could have tried something." I said with gritted teeth with my hands crossed above my abdomen.

"You're 23 for crying out loud! You could have gotten a job and start up your life as for Sekani I never knew you'd stand up to your father and make everything more sour than it was. Skai everything isn't about you for crying out loud, I called you severally but you declined, at a time your line wouldn't even connect, I thought you blocked me. Skai I love you and Sekani too much but I was in debt and shame didn't make it easy for me to come by. I'm sorry Skai." She was crying profusely which made her face red, she looked helpless and I knew I had to drop whatever dispute there was.

This was my mom and I can't avoid her forever. I love her and I think it's time to let go of the pain and move on.

I took her in my arms and hugged her tightly taking in her familiar scent. I missed her so much.

"How did you know I'd be here ?" I asked her as we broke the hug.

"The cops directed me here and I rushed here as fast as I could." She put one of her hands on my cheek slightly stroking it.

"Yeah I had to stay here for the meantime, don't worry the police would make him pay for what he has been doing."I said looking down knowing the kind of news I'm about to tell her.

"What ?! This has been going on ?" She looked really concerned.

"Yes for some months." Her eyes went wide opened and her face slowly evolved into a frown.

"So he really meant what he told me, that maniac !"I was confused as to what she said and I held her by the shoulders and looked into her eyes.

"What did he tell you ?" I peered into her eyes with all seriousness.

"He came over to my apartment one evening and told me I should convince you to get married to him else I would be attending a burial." Anger rushed into my head knowing that Andre is dragging my mom into this foolish game he's playing.

"I tried calling you so I could tell you but ....."I cut her off as I took her into my hands.

"It's okay Mom, I'm fine and he wouldn't dare hurt any of us."I stroke her long dark hair slightly putting a loose strand behind her ears.

"Thanks for taking me back Skai, Sekani was right, he said you wouldn't sweat it."She smiled at me widely.

"Sekani ?! You've spoken to him lately ?" I asked her wondering how she got to hear from Sekani.

"Yeah, I visited him at school and I love the man he's becoming."I smiled at my mom as warmth filled my heart. Even though she wasn't able to pay for his fees she visited him and showed him care. She was way better than my dad who didn't even bother to show up after the night I left his house.

"Mom, I love you so much." I put my arms around her shoulders and walked her towards the pool chairs.

"Yes I won't abandon you anymore ." She wrapped her arm around my torso as we walked.

"And I'd make sure of that." Her eyes looked at me in confusion trying to understand what I said.

"How would you do that ?"She chuckled.

"You'd be moving in with me." She removed her arms from my body and had a shocked expression on her face.

"What ?! No"She had her hands over her mouth with her eyes widened.

"Yes Mom, as soon as I get a new apartment, you're moving in with me and you can't say no."I drew her close as I put my arms around her shoulder which made her put her arms around my torso.

"Thank you so much Skai, you don't know how happy you make me." She rested her head on my shoulder as we walked towards the doorstep.

"Yeah, let me introduce you to my boss and his family."We climbed the little steps before entering the door.

We walked into the living room and headed for the dinning where I spot Drake having breakfast with the twins.

He was dressed up in a grey suit and his haircut was looking sharp like he just had an haircut. He looked up at me and my mom, immediately he walked towards us.

"Mom this is Drake Johnson, my boss and friend."I introduced Drake as I he walked towards us.

"Good morning, you must be Skai's mom."He stretched his hands out to shake my mom as he gave a slight bow.

"Yes that's right but how did you figure that out ?"She asked him as she shook his hands.

"The resemblance gave you guys away."He smiled widely at us and he took my mom by the hand and settled her in one of the seat.

"You must have breakfast with us. "He told her as he walked towards his own seat. I took my seat in where I had sat previously.

"How can I say no."My mom chuckled as she looked down at her own piece of pancakes.

"Hello, my name's Busayo. It's nice to meet you."Busayo said as she stretched her hands over the table to shake my mom.

"Oh I'm Linda, Skai's mom and that's your twin ?" My mom shook hands with Busayo and then Busola who later stretched her hands to shake my mom.

"Yeah I'm Busola, we are Drake's daughters" The twins giggled which made Drake groan.

"Yeah I adopted them from a pig farm." We all laughed out loud except my mom who was lost as to what was going on.

"Mom, they are his cousins."I told her as relief went through her face and then she started laughing finally getting the joke.

I sat there feeling happy and fulfilled because I just made peace with my mom and she's really getting along with Drake and the girls but mostly because she was moving in with me as soon as I get a new apartment.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1K 55 35
Elena Marie Owens, a cool, Independent 15 year old. A very well known person around New York due to her talents in the Arts and Crafts, and one of he...
601 8 12
Alexandra conner is the it girl, she's beautiful, popular, kind, smart oh and rich. She lives with her father and little brother. Her father is a l...
1.4M 40.8K 49
Completedβœ”οΈ Disclaimer: I wrote this when I was 15 so it is a bit clichΓ©, and many mistakes in the story:) All Brooklyn's life, she's been more of a...
388K 17.3K 77
Romance|Action|Mystery|Humour Highest Rank- #7 Teen Fiction. #8 Mystery/ Thriller ...