Tempting Darkness [17+] ✔

By Daydream1011

Copyrighted 2020 **Book 1 in the Darkness Series!** **Completed!** *Under construction* There was a cre... More

Under Construction!
**Warning!**
Description
Preface
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11 -M
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31

Chapter 7

27.9K 1.2K 374
By Daydream1011

Hey guys! Thank you so much to Camillabean5 for the amazing cover above and the ones below!

Sorry for any grammar and editing mistakes!

Please comment, vote, and follow!

Enjoy!

-&-

Chapter 7

       I knew those five nights of dreamless sleep were too good to be true.

       The nightmare tore through me like a hurricane wrecking the Gulf of Mexico. Much like the first night in that god forsaken town, I stood at the base of the beautiful cathedral. Unlike that night, dozens of people surrounded me. Their lips pulled into cruel smiles with pointed teeth. Deep, ruby, red eyes watched hungrily as I fled up the large marble steps.

       Heat suddenly pressed against my back and licked at my sides. I turned, expecting to see those demons right on my heels, instead fire had engulfed the whole town. The bright red and oranges flames rolled over buildings charring their ancient bricks. I blinked, and the fire gave way to bodies coating the cobblestone streets.

       I fell harshly against the rough marble, blood coating my skin and staining my white dress red. I looked desperately around for someone, anyone, but no one came. Not even the shadowed man with the pitch-black eyes. I was alone in a mass of fire and death.

       "Larkin." A strong grip suddenly wrapped around my arm and yanked me from the darkness. My eyes shot open, and I choked down tears of desperation. I will never cry because of a nightmare again.

       Adriel was sitting on the edge of the bed, the warm palm of his hand placed gently on my shoulder. I let out a shaky breath and closed my eyes against the worry in his. "I thought your nightmares were getting better." He spoke softly, and that low dark timber washed away the fear racing through my veins.

       "So did I."

       His thumb rubbed slow soothing circles into the skin of my shoulder. I had worn my usual tank-top to bed and the heat of his skin against mine made my heart race for a whole new reason. "Do you want to talk about it?" I shrugged my free shoulder. "Come on, Lark. It will help."

       His grip coaxed me into a sitting position, even though I just wanted to curl up in the corner and wallow in self-pity. "It was just... really weird." I tried not to pay attention to the fact that he placed his hand on the bed beside my waist and all but caged me in his strong arms. I wonder what it would feel like to wrap my hands around that bicep and squeeze.

       "What happened?"

       I shrugged again, and my eyes dropped to my fingers as they played with the edge of my comforter. "There were these—I don't know what the hell to call them—people chasing me. They had fangs, and red-eyes. And then there was this fire and it burned the whole town, and then it disappeared, and everyone was just dead."

       I stopped resisting the urge to touch him and lowered my forehead until it rested against his strong shoulder. "And there was blood everywhere, Dri." I let myself cuddle into him, my arms wrapping tightly around the one he had thrown across my torso. Fudge it. I just dreamt of blood and fire eating me alive. If I wanted to hold the damn man than I was going to.

       "It's alright, Angel. It was just a dream." His lips pressed softly against the top of my head and those strong fingers eased through the loose curls of my hair. I relaxed into him. Adriel made everything better.

       "I—I didn't tell you this earlier, because I thought I was just being ridiculous. Especially with the nightmares and the sleepwalking. But the other week, when you gave me the SUV for the day, I swear I saw a group of guys with red eyes."

       Adriel was silent for a moment, but that hand continued to stroke through my hair and lull the terror away. "Really?" His voice was quiet in my ear, but not surprised. I guess the whole 'me screaming about a shadowed man in my room' was the cherry on top of my insanity, and nothing I said seemed surprising now. In all honesty, I judged him for not sending me away to a looney bin.

       "Yeah, I'm convinced they were just contacts, though. But I think that's where the dreams are coming from."

       Adriel shrugged and pulled gently on the ends of my hair. "Maybe, but don't be afraid to tell me something like that next time. I won't think you're crazy."

       "Yeah right." I grumbled against his bare skin. He chuckled, and the sound shook through my entire body.

       He never wore a shirt to bed, a fact I admired quite a lot whenever we ran into each other in the middle of the night. His body and muscles were nicely toned from his job, but not overly buff like those gym junkies. Still, I knew those fists could do some serious damage to anyone who tried him.

       He also had this huge intricate knot tattoo running from the top of his left shoulder down to his elbow. One time I asked him what the design was supposed mean, but he had just glanced down at it before shrugging and said, "Not sure, I just liked it". I wasn't quite sure why I found that nonchalant response so attractive.

       "We're all a little crazy. The world wouldn't be any fun if we weren't."

       "Are you admitting to being crazy, Mr. Perfect Adriel Marko?" I teased and forced myself to pull away from him.

       His lips pulled up at the corners. "Only a little." Then he leaned slightly forward and bumped his forehead against mine. "Can you go back to sleep, or do you want to watch a movie with me?"

       "Movie, please." I answered without hesitation. It's not that I wouldn't have been able to fall back asleep, he had chased all the fear away, but I jumped at any chance to hang around him when he was shirtless and not being all arrogant.

       "Alright, Chainsaw Massacre, or As Above so Below, you pick." His smile with teasing as I groaned.

       "I just had a nightmare, Dri. Why can't we watch like Princess Diaries, or something?" I pushed against his shoulders in annoyance.

       He 'hm-ed' curiously, his face pulling into a serious scowl like the decision took a lot of thought. "The first or the second?"

       "Second, obviously."

       "Deal."

-&-

       "Larkin! Over here!" I glanced across the large studio styled room to see Siena, of all people, waving at me. I gave her a polite nod but kept my steps cautious as I walked towards her. Last I knew the pretty goth girl didn't give one flying bat wing about me. Hehe, get it?

       "Hey Siena." I greeted and set my stuff down on the easel beside her.

       "Hey, look, I wanted to apologize for yesterday. Despite what River says, I'm not usually like that. It just takes me a minute to warm up to people." I instantly relaxed at the apologetic smile pulling on her purple stained lips.

       "No worries, I can be the same way."

       We fell into an easy conversation after that. I found out she was a second semester freshmen like River and majoring in Art History and Conservation. Emphasis on the Gothic era—though she didn't say that. I did. In my head. She even invited me to get coffee with her and River after class.

       "We get done with our classes today around two, if you want to come hang with us." River announced sometime later as we all sat around the small circular table in the café, drinking coffees filled with chocolate and caramel.

       "Thanks, but I have to get home to pick my foster sister up from the bus stop." Even though Dri promised to get a babysitter A.S.A.P. I knew it was hard since we just moved in, but like, come on, that's why they have apps for this kind of thing.

       "Oh, your family takes care of foster kids? That's awesome!" River exclaimed with those bright hazel eyes wide in astonishment. I tried to ignore the painful jab it sent to my heart.

       "Um, kind of, but I'm the one they took in..." It was always weird talking about being the sad little orphan with no parents. It was even worse when I was reminded that I tore apart the one family that actually did want me. Rafael was too young to remember, but Adriel should have hated me. I had no idea why he didn't, why he cared so much. I judged him for that too.

       "Ah, that makes sense. You give off 'parent-issue' vibes." River sat back in his chair with a dramatic sigh. Those creepy gray eyes of Siena's snapped over to the tall skinny kid with a scowl.

       "Way to be considerate, moron." She muttered and reached over to punch him hard in the shoulder. He swayed out of his seat and fell theatrically to the ground.

       "Siena! How you break my heart!" River cried but jumped quickly to his feet. I tried to shove down my amused smile. They were both weird, but definitely entertaining. "And I didn't hurt her feelings! Look, she's fine." He threw one long thin finger my way and gestured towards my homeless appearance.

       After last night's latest nightmare episode, I stole one of Adriel's flannels—again—and wore it like battle armor. The yoga-pants and Converse were just added comfort. It's not like I was there to impress anyone. The only guy I cared about looking good for had seen me in every possible scenario except the one I desperately wanted us to be in. Even though I knew that could never happen. It would only destroy what little sanity I had left.

       "You don't know that." Siena hissed, but kept her hands to herself as River sat back in his chair.

        "No, it's okay. He's right." I shrugged and pushed the rest of my coffee away. I suddenly wasn't in the mood for caffeine anymore. "I have no idea who my parents are, but the family I live with now are better than anything I could have ever asked for." I didn't mention how they didn't have parents anymore either. I didn't feel like that was really a good 'bonding' topic.

       Siena suddenly leaned over, those creepy gray eyes almost warm as her slender fingers and black painted nails squeezed my hand reassuringly. "They sound awesome." I gave her a smile and didn't rip my hand away like my first instinct told me to.

       "Yeah, they are. Um, if you guys to want to come over and hang with me and my sister you can." I wasn't sure where the thought came from, but the words were passing my lips before I could stop them. "Her brother might not be back for a while, and she's only nine, but the kid is scary smart."

       "Yeah! That sounds awesome!" River's smile was bright enough to outshine the sun, that hurt expression from before completely gone. "I love adventures!"

       And that's how we ended up on the wooden floor of my foyer playing 'Monopoly' with a manipulative nine-year-old.

       "Damn..." Siena said on a bewildered breath as Raffie wiped out the rest of her money. That bright gray gaze flickered to the kid, who was shining that sweet manipulative smile of hers over at the goth. "You're a little too good at this."

       Raf shrugged her tiny shoulders and divided the money into their specific amounts. "I had to be to beat Adriel. He never lets me win, even though he lets Larkin." She pouted, and I narrowed my eyes at the little turd.

       "He does not let me win."

       "Yes, he does." She argued, and those big blue eyes glared at me. "He says he doesn't like seeing your sad face, so he always slips more money onto your pile when you're not looking."

       My mouth dropped open. "He does not!"

       "Yeah huh!"

       "Nuh uh!"

       "Ladies, ladies! I'm sure this 'Adriel' guy can resolve the issue when he gets home." River intervened at great personal risk. Both of our daggered gazes snapped to his, fists clenched and jaws tightly shut. He held his hands up in surrender.

       "What am I resolving?" That familiar tingle bringing voice of the older Markos reached our ears. My head whipped over to see him stepping through the front door with a small scowl on his lips. "And who are you?"

       "They're friends from school!" I answered quickly before he could go all macho 'get out of my house' caveman on them. One eyebrow raised as he locked that dark gaze on mine. I gulped. He really was good at making me want things I couldn't have.

       "You made friends already?"

       The hot electricity surging through my body disappeared as I crossed my arms over my chest. "You don't have to sound so damn surprised." I snapped as he closed the door.

       "Adriel!" Raf suddenly exclaimed at my side. "Tell Larkin you let her win!" Adriel shot a narrowed glare at his sister as he dropped his toolbelt on the bureau by the door.

       "You weren't supposed to tell her that."

       "Ha!" Rafael cheered and pointed in my face at the same time I shouted, "Adriel!".

       "Yeah, I don't want to be a part of this." The blue-eyed monster grumbled as he walked towards the stairs. "Hope you had a good day." He leaned down to kiss the top of his sister's hair before glancing over at me. "Did you take one of my flannels again?" Adriel sighed as I gave him a sheepish smile and pulled at the ends of the button down tightly.

       "I promise I'll wash it."

       He rolled his eyes before starting up the stairs. "Whatever, I stopped caring about that a while ago. Nice to meet you two." He nodded at Siena and River, even though they hadn't uttered a word since he got there.

       I watched him walk away with a small pout. He seemed grumpier than usual, or just a lot more tired. I shouldn't have let him stay up with me the night before. He was the one that had to get up early all the time, and I'm sure dealing with me wasn't easy. I was being selfish.

       "That is your foster brother?" River finally chirped at my side. I glanced over to see those bright hazel eyes following Adriel's beautiful body until he disappeared into his room.

       I let out a small sigh and started gathering up the Monopoly pieces. "Yeah, that's Adriel."

       River scoffed, and Siena's pale cheeks were tinted slightly pink. I guess I wasn't the only one who found that man beyond attractive. "Now I know why you don't live on campus."

       "What does that mean?" Raffie asked with her own little pout as I swept away all her 'hard-earned' money and deposited it back into the box.

       "He's just being funny, Raff." I answered quickly before River and Siena could start talking about how hot her brother was. Though, maybe it was for my own benefit. I suddenly had the strangest urge to shield Adriel from anyone that wasn't us. He wasn't mine, he never would be, but that didn't mean I wanted someone else to have him. Switching the topic was the best course of action.

       "Do you guys want to stay for dinner? I'm making chicken." I asked politely as I placed the game back on the shelf next to the stairs.

       "Thanks, but I'm going to head back and start working on that art project. Better early than late." Siena answered with a long stretch as she stood to her feet.

       "Yeah, I don't think I can be around that meat-stick for much longer without doing something I'll regret." Siena shoved River with a pointed look at the kid, who was watching them with wide and confused eyes. "Oh, uh, I meant the chicken! I'm a vegetarian." That was so not smooth, but he beamed at me and Siena like it was the best possible response he could have come up with.

       "Thanks for coming over, guys." I said instead of prolonging that conversation and walked them to the door. "See you at school tomorrow!" I called as they walked down the stone steps and towards River's car. They waved at me in acknowledgment.

       "What's a vegetarian?" Raffie asked from the bottom of the stairs as I turned to head into the kitchen.

        "It's someone that doesn't eat meat." I answered as her little bare feet followed me.

       She gasped. "Not even chicken nuggets?"

       I couldn't help my smile as I grabbed a baking pan and took the defrosted chicken out of the sink. "Exactly, not even chicken nuggets."

       "They must not be human."

       Turns out, not a lot of people were.

-&-

Hope you guys enjoyed!

Thank you again to CamillaBean5 for these awesome covers!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

78.2K 2.9K 31
On angel wings he hauls you into hell where his master waits. Can you escape their clutches? Or will you lose your soul to the flames? You're a norma...
261K 8.9K 45
He caressed my hair gently, his fingertips touching large chunks of silky strands, ❝I wanted to give you a chance to win and escape me. I couldn't w...
3.1M 137K 44
****COMPLETED**** "You're driving me crazy," I growled, dropping my hand down to her waist then around to her lower back, sucking her earlobe into my...
1.3K 144 68
(Book 1 of Monstrous Sarang) Natasha Dark was a 19-year-old college student. A normal human, who had no friends except her brother and his soon-to-be...