Lamentations #Wattys2020

By thismeanstheend

A best friend can be anyone. They could be the person to help you when you're down, the person who's there to... More

1
2
3

4

0 0 0
By thismeanstheend

4

I knew it.

I knew they wouldn't really believe me.

Detective Tames comes to tell me that they have proof Katarina was on the flight at the time of the fall, putting an end to the 'investigation'. There was nothing I could do to convince him otherwise, to him, to all of them, I was just the girl who was too embarrassed to admit that the fall was my own doing.

That's all I can think about for the next couple of weeks. How do I convince them? How do I try to show them? But as time goes on I realise that there's no sign of Katarina and no sign that she'll ever come back. Maybe I could get past this, I think. Maybe I could be happy again.

But that's not how it works. Every night I'm plagued by the same nightmare, and every day I face the same fear. This isn't something that can be repaired; whether or not Katarina's coming doesn't change the fact that she broke me. And it doesn't change the fact that I can never fix this; what's she's made me into. That's the thing that bothers me most: the fact that the same person who would hold my head high and tell me that I was the strongest person on Earth is the same person who's turned me into nothing but a shadow.

'Get better.' Detective Tames had told me. 'Just focus on yourself.'

The counselling sessions don't start until next Thursday and the group sessions the next one after that. When Doctor Richards was informed by the police that I'd supposedly made everything up, he didn't hesitate to do another evaluation on me. They deemed me fit for release after I decided to act as normal as possible, as if nothing was wrong in the world, and so now here I am. Free but not free, trapped within the confinements of my fear.

It's important for you to try and return back to your old routine, Richards had said. But my old routine only consists of reminders that she's still out there.

I slam the door to the car shut as my dad pulls out some of the stuff that they'd brought to the hospital for me during my stay. Home sweet home. It's supposed to be the place where I feel safest yet I can't deny the fact that I know this is where I'm most vulnerable. I look around me, taking in the view of the neighbourhood that I'd so dearly missed. The houses are all shaped the same and only differ in colour and the cars that are parked outside.

It makes me think about the car that I'd fallen onto and the huge shard of glass that had pierced through my stomach. I shiver. I must have been unconscious at that point, but I can still feel the coldness of the glass and the squelching sound it must have made when it came into contact with my body.

'Akwaaba!' Mum shouts from the door, a ginormous smile plastered on her face.

The smell of jollof rice, my absolute favourite, hits my nose as I walk into the house. Sweet scents of fried plantain soon follow me around as I head to the bathroom to wash my hands. Coming back out, I give my mum a hug and let her lead me into the kitchen. I know how much she wanted our family and friends to be here so that they could all welcome me home, but I'm glad she listened to my request to not invite anybody over. The attention people were giving me was disheartening because that's what they thought I wanted: attention. When in reality, I could go the rest of my life being around as little people as possible. Every smile that I pull is a smile that requires effort, none of them are genuine. I don't want someone to give me attention. All I want is for them to listen to me.

To believe me.

But as I eat my jollof, all I can think about is how my parents would react if I tried telling them again. They'd immediately call the doctor.

'Are you not hungry?' My mum frowns. Despite it being my favourite, I can barely peck at my food.

'Not really.' I sigh. 'Can you excuse me for a second, I've got to go to the toilet.'

I make my way to the second floor of the house, completely ignoring the right corridor where the bathroom is situated, and head to my bedroom instead. Lying down on the bed, I put a hand to my forehead as I start to feel the distressing pangs of a headache start. It's when I stand up again to get some paracetamol from my top drawer that I notice the quote stuck above my vanity.

Nobody is ever a victim although your conquerors will have you believe in your own victim hood. How else will they conquer you?

It's a quote that's stuck with me ever since I first heard it in an episode of Criminal Minds. This was a quote that I would repeat to all my friends, both in England and in America, one that they'd be sure to tell anybody I was obsessed with. I stare at it now; thinking about how Guinevere had decided to stick it on the wall because my room had been 'too bare' for her.

I go back downstairs and smile at my parents, attempting to finish my dinner with meagre conversation when there's a knock on the door. My dad leaves the room to go open it and exchanges a few words with whoever's outside, coming back a few moments later with a bewildered Sarafina.

She's holding a bunch of chocolates and flowers, smiling awkwardly as she stands in our living room. I'm not surprised to see at least one of them here but it only reignites everything I've been trying to forget. These past few weeks haven't been easy at all, and the fact that I have yet to tell Guinevere and Sarafina the truth about what happened is overwhelming.

'Hey Sada.'

'Hey.' My voice is so flat it's hard to believe that it's mine. Sarafina nods. That's all she does: nods, and then she seems to realise that she's brought some things over.

'These are for you,' she says, holding out her gifts to me. 'Just wanted to welcome you back home.'

'Thanks.'

My dad clears the air with a cough. 'Sada, why don't you invite your friend to sit down?'

'Of course. Sarafina, would you like a plate?' I'm already up before she can answer, picking up my parents' empty plates and signalling for her to follow me into the kitchen. I dump the plates into the sink without a second thought and Sarafina cringes at the sound they make.

'Are you okay?' She asks.

No. I'm not okay. I'm so angry.

'Yeah, I'm good.' I lie. Liar, liar, liar.

'I came because I wanted to check on you. I know this isn't going to be easy for you but I thought you might want to talk about everything that's been going on.'

She hasn't been to visit me since the day I woke up and neither has Guinevere for that matter. Actually, the only people who were regularly at the hospital for me were my parents. I'm not going to be angry at Sarafina or Gwen because I can't blame them for wanting to get on with their lives, they have school and other things to be getting on with that doesn't involve me.

'Do you want some jollof?' I ask again.

She shakes her head. 'I had some food before I came here. I didn't want to bother you.'

My heart drops at her sad tone; all of a sudden I feel bad. She's so sheepish and it's very unlike her, it kind of sucks to know that she's only dimming down her personality because she's around me. I'm not really trying to lose another friend.

'Um sure, we can talk. There's actually something that I need to tell you. About what happened.'

Taking a deep breath, I pour myself some water and take a couple of sips before I talk.

'Katarina tried to...' I pause. 'Katarina tried to kill me. She's the reason I was in the hospital.'

I wait for a response but it's like she's frozen. What was supposed to happen? She probably thinks I'm having a laugh but I don't think that's the case. Her expression remains dead neutral, no sign of the shock and disbelief that I expected would be present.

After a while, she gives me a small smile. The funny thing is, when I envisioned this moment, I imagined many different scenarios. Obviously I thought of the fact that they might not believe me, but I never thought I'd be met with any pity whatsoever.

'I've been told Sada,' she begins, 'That that's what you...think you saw.'

So she doesn't believe me.

I lick my lips, picking at the dryness that's consumed them. It's not like my friends were my last hope. There's nothing they could have done for me that the police wouldn't. I just wonder why it never occurred to her to say anything about this before, to try to convince me that it wasn't Katarina that I saw and that I'm definitely mistaken.

'Sada...you don't have to be scared. She wouldn't...she wouldn't try to hurt you.' She reaches a hand over and places it gently on my wrist, supposedly as a sign of compassion from her but it only feels like a slap to the face.

'I wouldn't try to hurt myself! I wouldn't do that, why don't you believe me? Why won't anybody believe me anymore?'

'Sada, she was on that flight. They have proof. I'm not saying it's impossible that somebody tried to hurt you but it couldn't have been her.'

Scoffing, I throw the rest of my water into the sink before slamming my glass onto the counter.

'The police don't seem to think that there was anybody at all. I'm surprised they even set up security for me that first night. You know how they're like with us.'

She nods, understanding that all too well.

'Where's Guinevere?' I murmur. I'm desperate for a subject change but it's a genuine question. I haven't spoken to her in what feels like ages and it's weird that her and Sarafina didn't decide to come together. Now Sarafina's the one who looks embarrassed, guilty too.

'We had an argument. It's over something silly though so we'll get over it.' She waves it off as if it's nothing important but she doesn't go into any more detail.

'When did you get so secretive?'

'I'm not being secretive Sada. I'm not going to bother you with petty beef when you've just come out of the hospital.'

'I could use a distraction right now. If I'm being honest.'

She's about to speak but a sharp ringing interuppts her. She holds out her hand and leaves the room for a moment, returning after a few minutes with a perfectly practised apologetic smile.

'It's my mom, I'm sorry I told her I was only going to be a minute.'

'It's okay.' I say.

I walk her to the front door and give her a hug in an attempt to get rid of the unnecessary tension that's somehow snaked its way in.

'Thank you for coming Sarafina.' I whisper in her ear.

'You know I got you.' She gives me one final tight squeeze before walking away, holding her thin coat tight against the chilly afternoon breeze.

'Hey!'

I turn to find a twenty-something make his way towards me, holding out an unusual package. It's covered completely in black wrapping paper and decorated with what seems to be pieces of shredded sheets glued to its sides. A perfectly tied bow sits quietly on top, waiting to be ripped apart.

The guy himself isn't the usual postman either, he's got on casual clothes and looks like he's half about to vomit on the road. I don't recognise him as a neighbour, although he could be one's relative, but I don't know why he'd have a package for me since at least one of my parents has been at home all day.

'This is for you.'

He throws it in the air and I barely have time to catch it before he's off again, disappearing round a corner. I decide to open the package outside rather than indoors because I don't know where it's been and my mum would have a fit if she knew, my curiousity for what was inside was growing by the second but I know better than to think it's not a good idea to just bin it.

Regardless, I rip off the pretty bow on top and remove the wrapping paper. There's nothing special about the box. It's plain and cardboard and brown but its tiny size makes me more curious as to what's inside. When I remove the lid, my heart stops.

It's the bullet.

This is the bullet that was supposed to kill me.

#

Whatever your plan is Katarina, you're not going to win. For a momentt, I thought that this was the type of evidence that I could take to the police but no. Apart from the fact that they'd probably think I'd somehow conjured it up myself, this isn't about them. It's about me and you Katarina Anders. Besides, I know you're too smart for that because...why on Earth would you give me any sort of evidence that may implicate you ? But just watch Kat, I'm going to find you and when I do, you're the one who should be scared because I'm smart too.

And I know you know that better than anyone.

#

It starts with him.

The guy who delievered this package to me must have gotten it from her. I run across the junction in the same direction that he'd gone but there's nobody there. My blood boils as I look down at the bullet again, wanting to bash my head in for ever feeling sorry for myself. This is evidence that she's taunting me, mocking me, that she's going to try again. I've been feeling down for so long, giving her the power that she'd wanted so dearly from me but this was what I needed. A wake-up call.

There's a voice in my head that's telling me this is going to be a big feat, that I should call Detective Tames and show him what I've got but I'm not stupid. Katarina wants me to track her down. And I've got to get to her before she gets to me first.

With renewed energy, I head back home and debate where to place the bullet. Making sure to preserve the package as carefully as I can, I decide to tuck it behind my wardrobe as it's a place that's hard to reach.

Good choice. I think to myself as I struggle to squeeze my arm back out into open space.

My parents don't feel it's appropriate for me to have access to my own computer and phone just yet so I settle for using the computer in the living room instead. The heater's on and my fingers practically tingle with impatience as they hover over the keyboard but I don't know what to type. Or what I'm looking for.

I should have asked more questions ; my gut instinct had warned me that that guy was giving off bad vibes. Was he working with Katarina ? Or was it just a one- off job to make some quick cash ?

Regardless, now I know that Katarina is in the area. Her house would be the obvious place that she would go to, but considering the fact she'd told everybody she was going to boarding school, I can't imagine that she'd be there. No, she'd stay close if she wanted to keep an eye on me but far enough that she wouldn't be recognised.

I type in Greenfalls into the browser and search for the nearest towns, coming up with Crowley and Danson as the closest. I doubt my parents would let me go off anywhere on my own right now but perhaps if someone came with me they'd let me. Guinevere and Sarafina are out, despite their good intentions it's obvious that neither of them would believe me over Katarina unless they had proof, especially given recent events. There's not really anybody else who I talk-

Rakeem !

I mean, he's got a car. And the whole thing took place in his house, his room of all place, maybe Katarina left something else behind.

Or maybe she's been back.

If Rakeem hadn't noticed anything different in his room apart from the broken mirror during the two weeks that I'd been unconscious, that means Katarina must have either picked up the bullet during our fight (which I would have noticed) or maybe she snuck back in during all the commotion and panic that was caused by fall. Maybe I could some more information out of him.

I send a message to him through my mum's phone, making sure to let him that it's me who's texting him. It's the first time I've texted him in ages so it sort of feels foreign to me to take the initiative to speak with him.

A reply comes within minutes.

Sure. You want me to come by ur house ?

The Quansah parents don't trust their daughter enough to even stay in her room on her own so I doubt they'll let her go off with a boy that they've only briefly met. I tell him to meet me by the park that's only a couple of minutes away from my home, wondering how this going to by with my parents. I delete the conversation before going to find my dad, who's watching the news.

It's not surprising that my request is met with a subsequent no, but I am surprised when my mum steps into the room and says that it's a good idea.

'The doctor evaluated her and said that she's fit enough to be released,' she says, 'She needs to get back to her normal routine.'

'Then she should be going to school !'

'So you know better than the doctor ?'

'When did I say that?'

Mum sucks her teeth. 'Kwasias3m. It's only afternoon, Sada you can go but don't be too long.'

Dad doesn't argue with her and mum walks back into her room. As their only daughter, I know that everything that's been going on with me has been causing them a significant amount of stress but I hope with all my heart that I won't cause a rift between them.

The fresh air hits me again as I make my way towards the park. It's only a ten minute walk but it feels a lot shorter with all the thoughts jumbled up in my head. Am I really doing this? Am I really going to after the girl who attempted to kill me? Doubts start to enter into my mind, breaking down the wall of courage that I'd previously had up. It feels like she's watching me now; an omniscient being who's got eyes and ears everywhere. If she is watching, then I try to appear strong, like nothing can break me. But it doesn't stop the only-human fear that constantly makes me shiver. It's like nothing is the same. The rustle of the leaves that I'd find to be a peaceful sound only makes me feel as if someone'shiding in the trees, waiting for me to get close enough so that they can catch me. I debate turning around for a second and heading back home until I see Rakeem. It's strange that he got here so quickly since he doesn't live that close to me but I'm grateful nonetheless.

Now we can get this over with.

'Hey,' I greet, forcing a grin, 'You got here quickly.'

He gives me a wave as he walks closer, wrapping his arms around me when we're close enough. I frown at his embrace but make no comment until he takes a step back. It's like I've forgotten everything. I can't remember how to feel those butterflies that I always used to feel when I was around him, even after our breakup, or his sweet Moschino scent that would always make me hug him just a smidge tighter. I've forgotten how to feel like the only girl in the world when he looks at me.

'I was actually already on my way over here.' He says. I raise an eyebrow. He's never been to my house before, I don't even think I ever gave him an address. He bites his lips, probably realising this. I can see the red tinge creeping onto his clear brown skin as he tries to fight back a smile.

'I got your address from Sarafina. I'm sorry that probably sounded creepy.'

'It's fine Rakeem. Anyways, thank you for coming at such short notice.'

He leans against his car. A white 2019 Model 3 Tesla that his parents had gifted to him for making the winning basket at five games in a row. 'What are you planning on doing in Danson and Crowley ?'

A good question. I don't actually have a plan. It seems all so silly to me now, calling Rakeem all the way over here without having a proper reason to give him. I could tell him the truth, after all, I haven't got a reason to lie to him if he's going to help me.

'I'm looking for Katarina.' I say. I await a response, and the longer I wait the more evident it is to me that he already knows the story. But he doesn't meet my stare with pity, or try to convince me that I'm wrong.

'Cool,' he says, signalling for me to get into the passenger seat, 'Let's go.'

#

We head to Danson first, and the smooth ride that carries us there is filled with an awkward silence. I don't know what to say to him and I guess that he doesn't know what to say to me either, but thinking about what we would usually say to each other before everything changed leaves me with no idea of what to speak about. It's not a comfortable silence either ; it's the type that's forced, the type where there is so much that should be said but nobody wants to go first. Sitting here with Rakeem now and in such a confined space only makes me feel as if we've missed a chapter, something was supposed to happen, a proper conversation, but we've completely skipped it.

'Sada...' Rakeem trails off, 'I'm sorry.'

'You said that already.' I reply, bitterness clear in my tone.

He swallows, his Adam's Apple bobbing along with the movement. 'I know, but we never got a chance to...I never got a chance to fully explain myself. And with everything that's been going lately, I regret that. So much.'

'Somebody shouldn't have to fall out of your bedroom window in order for you to apologise for doing something wrong Rakeem.' I turn to face him. 'You had time.'

'I know I had time.' His grip on the steering wheel tightens. 'But I was ashamed. And I was scared of what you would say. I thought you'd reject me.'

Sighing, I lean my head against the window, watching as the landscape blurs away. 'I might have rejected your apology Rakeem and that shouldn't be a problem with you.'

'I know what I did was wrong-'

'Then why did you do it ?' I whip my head around to face him.

'I don't have an excuse. I thought I was King of the World, who could make any girl get on her knees for me.'

Scoffing, I get my Carmex out of my pocket and apply some to my lips, soothing the dryness.

'Well,' I mutter, 'I certainly did that.' The red tinge graces his skin again but he doesn't say anything else.

'Aren't you going to ask me why I need to go to Danson and Crawley ?'

'You already told me.'

I lean my head against the chair and let the heat from the car's radiator kiss my skin. It seems to have a calming effect on me, making me want to close my eyes and go to sleep despite the awful dreams I know I'll have. 'And you believe me ? Just like that ?'

He lets out a small laugh. 'Maybe I just want to spend some time with you.'

It doesn't take me too long to realise that he thinks he must be the reason that I supposedly jumped and so I let my mind wander to how horrible that must be, believing that you're the reason that somebody wanted to end their own life. It makes me start to think about whether he's ever actually loved me. Because then that would be worse.

'You don't need to feel guilty.' My tone softens. 'What happened honestly had nothing to do with you.'

He slows down the car and moves out of the main road so that he can park on the side. Rakeem squeezes his eyes tight, placing his hands behind his head before biting his lip, a nervous habit he seems to have had since I met him.

'I get nightmares Sada.' His voice is so quiet, so little, I have to strain to hear him. 'Every night. I see you lying on that car, that piece of glass in your stomach. I thought you were going to die ; I was sure you were going to die. It was the scariest thing I'd ever gone through and I- I-'

Loud sounds blare behind us and interrupt our conversation. I can see Rakeem tense further as he checks the rearview mirror and signs of any previous emotion disappear from view, a neutral and blank stare making an appearance instead as he grabs his driver's liscense from the compartment box.

The man walks up to the window, his uniform and badge worn proudly on his body. He's quite an old man- he's got a pot belly and the remaining tufts of white hair protrude unkindly from his scalp. The strides he took to get to us were calm and relaxed, as if he had all the time in the world and we were quickly running out of ours.

'Is there a problem Sir ?' Rakeem asks.

The officer shrugs. 'Just wanted to check if everything's alright. Since y'all are parked on the side of the road.'

Putting on a smile Rakeem shakes his head, his grip on the wheel never lessening.

'Nah, we're just having a conversation.'

The officer bends down a little more and takes note of me ; a toothy grin takes over his face as he puts his own two and two together.

'Ah,' he smirks, 'I see.'

The warmth spreads to my cheeks as I cross my arms.

Rakeem clears his throat and maintains eye contact with the officer. 'It's not like that. We were just talking.'

The officer takes a step back, raising his hands as if he's surrendering, the smirk that's plastered on his face never disappearing. 'I ain't going to blame you son.'

My lips curl with a hint of disgust. It takes everything in me to not throw something at his stupid face and as I look at Rakeem I can tell that he's thinking the same thing. But all he does is smile, a forced smile but a smile nonetheless.

'This your car ?'

'Yes Sir.'

'Damn. Wonder what you had to do to get this.' He laughs when he notices Rakeem's expression, obviously finding his discomfort amusing.

'Y'all have a good day now.' He takes another step away from the window before making his way back towards his own car. It's obvious when Rakeem releases a sigh of relief ; the atmosphere in the car completely changes. It's a while a while before the squad car disappears, the sirens blaring into the air once again.

'Are you okay ?' I mumble.

Rakeem nods, bringing the car back onto the main road again. The drive continues again in silence before the town of Danson starts to come into view. Reality sets in for me as I stare out the windshield : Katarina might not even be here. What was I thinking ? I've got no leads, no clues as to where exactly she might be or how to find her. She came at me with a gun and pulled me out of a bloody window ! I've got no means to defend myself if she tries to kill me again. The adrenaline and courage that fuelled me when I first discovered the bullet leaves in an instant, the urge to crawl back into my bed taking over instead.

'Maybe we should just turn back.' My mind flashes back to the night of the fall, Katarina's face so clear in the dark.

'We've come all this way.' Rakeem says. The encounter with the officer has dampened his mood ; his tone is tight and it's obvious that he's trying to soften it but to no avail.

'I don't know what I'm doing here Rakeem,' I say as he makes a turn into the car park of a supermarket, 'I don't know how I'm supposed to find her. It's not like we can walk around this entire town all day in hopes of bumping into her.'

He comes into a space and puts the car in park before turning to me, subsequently making me turn away. I feel frustrated ; which obviously means that somehow someway tears are going to start falling. And I don't want him of all people to see me vulnerable.

Again.

Not everybody deserves to know everything about you.

I sniff. 'This was a stupid idea. I'm not prepared for this at all, I was just so angry about everything and I just wanted to ask her...why ? Why would she try to kill me ?'

Rakeem doesn't answer which makes me sigh. I know Detective Tames must have explained the situation to him, I know that he knows about Katarina.

'I'm going to be right here with you when you find her.'

I scoff. 'You believe me ?'

'Yes.'

'No you don't. You're only saying that because you feel guilty.'

He looks me in the eye. 'I do feel guilty. That doesn't mean you're lying. And why would I have driven you all the way here if I thought you were ?

'You've said that maybe you just wanted to spend time with me.'

'Sada.'

For a moment I remember. The goosebumps that'd crawl up my arms every time he said my name. The way I'd look at his lips and the way they'd entice me. The way I'd always want more.

It brings me back to that night, when I'd given myself to him.

And that brings me back to reality.

It's just lust. I think to myself. You don't need to be ashamed of it.

'Where would you start ?' I ask, in urgent need of a distraction.

He licks his lips, leaning his back against the headrest on his chair. 'Has she ever mentioned Danson or Crawley before ? Any relatives, friends here ?'

I shake my head. Katarina had never mentioned any of these two towns and I wouldn't be surprised if she didn't even know they existed. But that doesn't mean that there's nothing here that can help me. I know Katarina, and I know that she doesn't like to be far from home which is why I was so shocked when she'd told me she was off to boarding school.

'Can we just get out of the car ?'

We walk side by side through the streets of Danson. It's a cute little town, not unlike Greenfalls but different in a multitude of ways I suppose. It's not the type of town I thought Katarina would be drawn to. The air of mystery meets us with a force as strong as our silence. Literally. There's next to nobody around. But I suppose that maybe this is what she would want.

'Nathalie wrote you a card.' Rakeem says, kicking the dirt as we go along.

'She told you ?'

He nods.

So they still speak.

'What did it say ?'

I look at him, confused. 'She didn't tell you ?'

'Nope.' He pops the 'p'. 'She told me it was none of my business.'

Sighing, I stand in front of a shop window so that I can see how I look. Tired. Tired is the answer. The bags underneath my eyes seem to take up my entire face.

'She just wrote about how she's sorry that this happened to me, she hopes I get better blah blah...blah.'

The lighting in the shop is quite dim, a single bulb flickering on and off in the middle of the room, but I notice the wrapping paper. It's exactly the same. Black, with shredded pieces of paper attached to the perimeter.

God is on my side today.

'Do you mind if we go in here ?' I ask Rakeem. I trudge up the small steps and push the door slightly open. There's a gross odour circling the air, a smell that slightly resembles the scent of B.O and what you get when the clothes haven't dried properly. Strange items decorate the place too, some glass balls have been hung from the ceiling, as well as things with the most obscene images on them. There seems to be nobody in the shop until a woman, seeming completely out of place here, appears. She's wearing a black suit, the type you'd see businesswomen wearing around, with a white collared shirt and matching black boots.

'May I help you?' She speaks with dominance, making me nearly shrink back.

'That wrapping paper.' I point to it. I decide to pick my next words carefully. 'Somebody said that they got a discount for it.'

The lady raises an eyebrow. 'Did they really?'

'Yes. I don't think it was too long ago either...'

'We don't do discounts.' The lady says, already turning away from us. 'Your friend must be mistaken.'

'Right.' I say, 'But she's been telling multiple people this and she's bought the wrapping paper. I don't think it's right for you to be advertising lies and then claiming otherwise when people believe them.'

'Sada.' Rakeem nudges me. 'What the hell?'

The lady gives me a mean look. 'It's your friend that's the liar.' She spits. 'Or maybe it's you. Our prices are cheap and have always been cheap, it's not my fault if you can't afford them.'

'But my friend said-'

'Who exactly is your friend? I'm sure she's never been in this shop before.'

I swallow. 'Her name's Katarina. She's tall, blonde and she's got the most beautiful grey eyes. Remember her now?

Her face pales as the hint of recognition pokes through her expression.

I got her.

'That girl was here and she did buy the wrapping paper but not for a discount. She payed the full price.'

It seems nearly too easy. The whole thing. I haven't even been to Crawley yet I know that Katarina was here. My heart begins to race as I realise what this means. The story has just began, but I'm already close.

'Do you know where she went afterwards ?' My character breaks as the panic starts to set into my tone. The lady gives me another strange look but I carry on. 'Where'd she go after she bought the wrapping paper from you ?'

'I've never seen that girl around here before so I can assure you, I don't know. She probably took a bus, or a train right on to the next trashy town.'

'You don't think she's still here ?'

'Why would she be ?' The lady walks towards the cash register, adjusting some bits and pieces as she goes. 'I've lived here all my life and I know everybody here. If this girl was still here, I'd know.'

Right. So she's not here. But how would I know this strange lady isn't lying ? Then again, I don't know her, and apparently Katarina doesn't either.

Don't trust anybody.

I look over towards Rakeem who'd gone off on his own, browsing through the strange collection of items that the shop boasts.

'Okay, thank you.' I say hurriedly, before pulling Rakeem out of the shop with me. 'Let's go home.' I mumble. 'I've got everything I need from here.'

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

280 8 19
"If you ever tell me your feelings then I am gone. I don't want to know how you feel about me, because I will never be able to recognize such feeling...
3.7K 158 38
Pretty Boy How could you exactly define yourself as being pretty? Is keeping myself high, be enough? Would the wounds around my body, mark me as to...
718 49 36
There was a group of friends, perfectly inseparable. Until tenth grade. If you ask them, they'll say they had a falling out, but how bad would the fa...
33.7K 3K 50
We never notice something is missing until it's gone. We never know about the void until we know what was supposed to fill it. We never know the magn...