The Mix-Up

By Megzcat

Having given up on finding the man of her dreams, Theodora Thompson, decides to become a single mother via an... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Ten
Black Lives Matter

Chapter Nine

4.6K 204 56
By Megzcat

Alexander held the strap of his leather shoulder bag as he entered his office. Raising his thermos to his lips he took a deep gulp. He wasn't sure what to expect coming into work Monday morning but so far things were much calmer than he anticipated. Moving towards his office he entered and took a seat in his leather chair. There was a stack of files on the side of his desk that he assumed needed his immediate attention. The man had barely gotten started on the first file when the glass door slid open.

"I thought I had made myself clear when we spoke on Saturday" his boss stated entering the office with his arms crossed against his chest. The man didn't seem impressed, with his brows furrowed and his forehead wrinkled.

"And I said we would talk more about this on Monday. Well it's Monday. So I'm here to talk" Alec said closing the file. "I know you wanted me here on Saturday, but I truly couldn't make it. Yes, I will always make myself available for the company but that's within reason. The weekend is the one time I get time off. And I wanted to take it."

"I'm disappointed in you Alexander" the other man spoke deeply in a scolding voice. "You could've done great things, and you were moving up so quickly. You're focus driven. You're confident and determined. You're good on the artistic side. You had so much potential in this company my boy. But lately, I've been watching you get distracted. You've been leaving earlier and seem distracted by your phone throughout the day."

Alec scoffed at those words. "I'm on my phone during my breaks, never in my working hours. And I am not leaving early. I work nine to five just like every other employee here. The only thing I'm not doing is working the two extra hours a day. But that doesn't mean I'm not pulling my weight."

His boss sighed softly "but that is exactly my point Alexander. You were never like everyone else. You always went over and above with everything you did in this office. It's what made you stand out. That is why you caught my eye and why I saw you going places. But that spark is gone now."

"The spark isn't gone. It's just become a burning fire for something other than work" Alec insisted. "I love what I do here. But I can't keep doing it the way I did for years. I have new responsibilities."

"I came in here this morning with the intentions of laying you off" his boss stated. He was watching the younger with intense set eyes. "But I know you're a good worker. So I'm willing to keep you on." as the man spoke the words Alexander's blood started to boil. This guy was acting like Alec hadn't given the past several years to the company. That he hadn't long since earned his keep in the company. "Now, there is the topic of that promotion we discussed with the raise in pay. Unfortunately I wont be able to offer it to you anymore. Not with the way your behaviour has changed and affected your work. I don't feel as though you have earned it anymore."

"Excuse me?" Alec frowned and slowly stood. "You are retracting the promotion because I didn't earn it anymore? But I already had the promotion. You promised me it on Wednesday. You can't just come in here now, and retract it. I had earned based on my performance. I worked my ass off for years to get it. I'm the best choice in this entire damn office."

"Not anymore" his boss stated. "You proved that to me on Saturday. I need a worker who will put the company first. You can be a workingman or a family man. There is no down the middle, both aspects would suffer. And I don't want this company to take a fall because I entrusted this position to someone who was only ever half here."

Alexander clenched his jaw in anger. "So because I have a family now, I can't be considered a top worker anymore? That's ridiculous!"

"You are lucky to be keeping your job at all after the way you treated the company on Saturday."

Alec watched the elder man with stunned looking eyes. Giving his head a little shake in hopes of clearing his thoughts. He moved to grab his bag from under his desk and took hold of his thermos. Slowly he stood, squaring off with his boss. "I quit."

"What?" the other man gasped out. It appeared he never considered this possibly happen. Despite the way he treated his best employee, it seemed as though he expected him to just take the abuse.

"I said, I quit" Alexander repeated. He stepped out from around his desk. He grabbed the few personal items he held on his desk, a couple photographs and some books. But everything remained.

"Excuse me?" his boss opened and closed his mouth several times in confusion. "You c-cant just..." he trailed off unable to finish the complete sentence.

"I can and I did" Alec stated approaching the older man. "For me to remain here any longer would be unfair to the both of us. You stated it yourself; you need workers that are completely dedicated to their job. And that's not where my mindset is anymore. I need to put my children and family first. It would be unfair for either of us to hold the other back from what they need most. So I quit. It'll give me more time with my kids. And this will allow you to fill my position with someone who will be able to give their entire attention to you."

"Alexander" his uncle in law stated, "this isn't what I wanted. You are part of this company."

"Might not be what you wanted" Alec offered the sweetest smile he could muster in that moment. "But it is what you deserve." With that final statement in mind, Alec stepped around the elder man and exited his office. Of course he could've left in a big huff, he could've screamed and yelled or made a fuss. However for him to leave in a dignified manner, one with a speech that put the reason behind him leaving looking like a positive idea, well that was much more likely to annoy the older man.

Alec let out a huff when he had entered his car. Tossing his bag into the backseat he paused for a moment and considered what he was going to do next. He would need another job. That was as clear as day. It would already be a struggle to support himself with Stephanie and Teddy with the kids – not that Teddy was asking for any monetary support.

But for now, Alexander wanted nothing more than to be with the people that mattered the most to him. Even if it was only for a week or so. He could send out resumes, but in the meantime of waiting to hear back – he would be doing something worthwhile.

Without a second thought Alexander started the car and drove the short distance to his apartment. What was waiting for him behind his door would not be one he was excited about. But he'd rather face the lion now than later.

"You quit your job?" Stephanie snapped the second the front door opened. The man had barley stepped inside when she came bulldozing towards him. "How dare you do something like that before discussing it with me."

"I see your uncle called you" Alec stated and added, "it was my job to quit."

"A job that supports the two of us" Stephanie argued. Her eyes were closing into angry slits and she was talking more with her hands to appear forceful. "What are you going to do now? What job is going to get? Cause you need a new job."

"Well, right now, I am going to spend some time with my kids" Alec said moving towards the bedroom starting to pack his bag. When he caught sight of Stephanie's scandalized face he further explained. "I'll never get a chance like this again, to spend a long period of time just focused on the girls. I'll be applying online to positions and of course taking interviews. But in the meantime, I'm going to enjoy the time I have with my kids." The man opened his suitcase and started stuffing as many articles of clothing he could fit.

"Okay that's all well and good, you get time with the children" Stephanie said running a hand through her long hair. "But we still need money. We have an apartment to pay rent for, and utilities or groceries. Not to mention what about things like my nails or my upcoming spray tan. How do you expect me to pay for something like that?"

Alexander zipped his bag shut "we have enough saved to pay rent for a few months. As for the extra things like nails and tanning..." he lifted his bag and stepped towards her. He reached forward and patted her gently on the arm as he moved past her. "Maybe you could find yourself a job."

"Excuse you!" Stephanie screeched, but her husband had already long since left the room with a chuckle. She spun on her heels and charged after him. "So you're just leaving me here alone?"

"Oh I'm sorry" Alexander said dramatically "did you want to come with me?"

"Of course not!" Stephanie gasped "why the hell would I ever want to come spend time with you and those brats."

"Excuse me?" Alec frowned, turning slightly to lock eyes with the women. "What did you just call my children?"

"Oh come on" Stephanie rolled her eyes. "That one with the blonde hair and blue eyes spilled her juice box all over my plush throw blanket, and I still cant get the stain out. They don't exactly have the best behaviours."

"That's because they're three" Alec insisted, giving his head a shake of disbelief. "And you left the blanket out even though I warned you to put it away. Plus, you do realize they are identical twins right? They both have blonde hair and blue eyes."

"Okay whatever" Stephanie waved him off, "you're still picking them over your wife. Go be with them and leave me here alone?"

"A chance to spend time with my daughters? Whom I haven't known about for three years? I offered you the chance to come, you said no. So yes. I will be going." Alec sighed softly as he watched the women before him. When had this shift in her come? Had it just so slowly naturally occurred that he hadn't noticed it? Or was it possible that this behaviour had always been there and he hadn't noticed due to rose coloured glasses.

The longer he got to experience Stephanie around or in regards to the girls; he began to see more of her negative centric behaviours. Stephanie was incredibly needy when it came to materialistic goods, she demanded the biggest and best, and if she didn't obtain the demand she would throw a fit like a child. She valued physical items more than the emotions of others, such as her concerns over a rug or a blanket. Not to mention she expected everything to be handed to her on a silver platter, she despised having to obtain or work for anything herself.

For the longest time all Alec could recall was Stephanie wanting and longing for a child. All those appointments and tests the two of them had gone through. They had been fighting so hard to build a family together. Or at least that's what Alec had thought they were moving towards. But now that he has seen the behaviour Stephanie has towards the girls – he was beginning to realize that she was never going to be a mother towards the twins. Not in the way he needed her to be.

When he had first set out on this journey of getting to know Charlie and Joey he had envisioned Stephanie taking on the role of a second mother. Sharing the load of having the children. Behaving like a parent should. He had dreamed about how he would on occasional weekends have the girls spend the night and wake up early to make pancakes together as a family. He would watch Stephanie brush back the girls hair whispering a story to entertain them. Maybe spend the afternoon walking the busy streets of Toronto to the nearest park where they will play on the slides.

He had dreamed of sharing those moments with his wife, with Stephanie. He didn't care if the children were biologically his and his wife's. He had only ever wanted to have a family with her.

But it appeared as time went on the only individual he was sharing any memorable moment with was Theodora.

As Alexander started his two-hour drive north of the city, his mind began to slip away from the present and back to the past.

Alexander had been in his second year of university when he had first encountered the feisty young beauty that is Stephanie Edgewood. At time she had been nearly everything every man on campus had dreamed of – and the University of Toronto was huge, so it had a lot of eligible bachelors. But Stephanie had wanted nothing of it.

At the time Alec had been an art major, with a minor in English. He would rarely go anywhere without a sketchbook in hand. Spring had come early to the city, and by early April the man was able to sit outside tucked into the corner of the University gardens. Pressing his back against the metal wall, the young adult had his sketchbook opened on his knees. With a pencil in hand he began to draw out the scene of the flowers around him, focusing in on the bright yellow one near his feet.

"I didn't know you could draw" a feminine voice stated from above where he was seated. Her blonde hair was pulled back into a high ponytail, a pair of high waist jeans and a crop top showcasing her middle where a belly button was pieced.

Alec glanced at her curiously, with a hint of confusion etching his eyebrows. "I'm sorry? Do I know you?" he was racking his brain trying to recall whom she was, but to no avail.

"We have a couple English classes together," Stephanie stated with a warm smile, her lips tilting slightly to one side. "And I think maybe history." The young lady didn't wait for so much of a response from the man before she tucked herself down into the dirt – absentmindedly crushing the yellow flower beneath her. "I'm Stephanie" she held out her pale slender hand for him to shake.

He continued to watch her stunned for a moment too long. He was never one to be open and social – preferring to spend his free time alone rather than surrounded by others. But for a moment it felt nice to have someone begin a conversation with him. "Alexander" he said accepting her hand "but everyone calls be Alec."

"Oh I know" Stephanie announced easily. When the man before her raised a curious brow she laughed and tossed her hair playfully over her shoulder. "We have class together remember? The professors seem to love calling on you," she giggled playfully.

Alec chuckled a little in return and gave his head a small shake "more like they hate me and choose to pick on me." he folded his sketchbook closed and slipped it into his bag, his full attention had now shifted to the women before him. She appeared to have more confidence in her single pinky finger than he had in his entire body. And maybe that was something he'd be able to learn from her.

"Aren't you cold?" Stephanie asked eyeing him in the shade with just a light shirt on. Although spring had come fairly early that doesn't mean they had entered a heat wave.

With a slight shrug Alec answered "no, not really. I actually like the cold. Its much better than being too hot."

But the man didn't miss the disappointed look cross Stephanie's face. "Oh" she answered softly. "That's too bad. I know this cute little coffee cart nearby that serves just the best coffee and muffins. Perfect to warm you up on a cold day."

Alec opened his mouth to assure her once again he was fine without any coffee, however he quickly shut it when he realized the underlining meaning behind her offer. A small smile tugged at his lips and he leaned forward slightly, a teasing look in his eyes. "Was that you're way of asking me to get coffee with you Stephanie?"

"What if it was?" Stephanie huffed, her pale cheeks puffing out like a cute little chipmunk as she pouted. "It clearly didn't work."

Alexander found himself chuckling lightly once again. He pushed himself off the ground and dusted the stray dirt from his jeans. Grabbing his bag he stepped out of the gardening, pausing slightly to glance over his shoulder at the girl. "Well? Are you coming or not?"

"What?" Stephanie answered in confusion. She glanced from side to side quickly as though she was checking if there was someone else he was possibly addressing.

"You wanted to get coffee didn't you?" Alexander asked with a warm smile. "Lets go to that coffee cart you say you love so much."

Stephanie in response burst into a beaming smile as she pushed herself off the ground and guided him off to what would later become known as their first date. The couple had moved forward rather quickly within their relationship. But to Alec it had all felt right. When he was with Stephanie he began to feel like a better version of himself. He lacked the shyness and carefulness he had as a teenager, and became a confident and determined adult. There was no longer a linger fear of being enough; he had grown to know he was more than enough in everything he did. He began speaking out willingly in class, entering his artwork into exhibitions and making a greater circle of friends.

And once his school career had come to a close he had found himself asking Stephanie to move in with him. Which is how they ended up moving into their first single bedroom rundown apartment in the heart of Toronto.

"Be careful with that box," Stephanie warned as she carried in a couple bags of lighter items. "It has the dishes."

"Yes ma'am" Alec answered with a smile, moving the box onto the kitchen counter. He paused for a moment and looked around. The space was certain small and it was rather run down. But for two fresh of university students it was set to be perfect. Once they found better jobs the two would surely be able to afford something of greater taste.

"Wow" Stephanie breathed looking around. "I cant believe we actually did it." she moved across the room to stand beside her boyfriend, her slender arms snaking around his waist to hold the man close.

"We will get something better soon" Alec answered her. Gently he planted a kiss on top of her head. "Once I get a better job we will find something newer."

The women gazed up at him with soft eyes. "Speaking of jobs" she spoke carefully. "You remember my uncle, you met him over Christmas?"

Alec could remember the middle aged, pampered man that discussed nothing unless it was related to work. He was an office man first and foremost. "The advertiser right?" he questioned, his fingers making their way into her hair to stroke slightly.

"Yeah" Stephanie nodded in reply. "Well I was talking to him the other day. And he mentioned that he needed a new ad artist. You know, someone to draw out the sketches and whatnot."

Now Alexander understood where this conversation was going, he glanced down at her. "And?" he asked encouraging her to continue.

"And I was thinking you should apply" Stephanie said. "It's a fulltime position. Gives you the opportunity to grow within the company. You'll be able to continue doing art within the company, but you can still continue it as a passion outside of work too."

"But I'm not an advertiser" Alec argued, trying to rationally explain why it wouldn't work well.

"You could be" Stephanie offered. "Online college courses that you could take in the nights and weekends" her slender hand rubbed across his chest. "But you don't have to baby. It was only an offer. But I do think you should consider it. Even just for now, you can leave when you find something more ideal."

Alexander gave a small nod, glancing down at his girlfriend and planting another gentle kiss on her head. "I'll consider it baby," he promised her.

Stephanie snuggled into his chest and rested her head against his shoulder. "That's all I'll ever ask baby – for you to consider things. The choice will always remain with you."

But over the years where had their partnership gone? When did things start going wrong?

Hey Kittens! If you like this story be sure to like and leave a comment down below - love hearing from you. If you want to be notified and kept up to date with my writing give me a follow.

Chapter Question: Do you think Stephanie changed much over the years? Or did she maintain a similar personality?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.3K 96 8
“You’re always going to be my bestest friend no matter what. Our friendship is unbreakable and NO-ONE will ever come between us! I mean NO-ONE! Me an...
938 140 17
After reading a letter from someone she has never met, Gemma Moreno is offered a once in a lifetime opportunity that could change her life forever...
100K 2.7K 33
Ben Wheeler, a twenty-something bachelor, suddenly becomes a father when his baby daughter Emma is left at his doorstep. With the help of his overbea...
4.6K 459 70
|| 3rd Place, Teen Fiction winner of the Lavender Awards|| Right out of high school and starting her first year in university, Claire Paisley thought...