BLOOD WARS | D. Targaryen

By sansasrose

Selena Baratheon has nothing but her desire for revenge. The Targaryens took everything from her and she plan... More

summary + cast.
i.
ii.
iii.
v.
vi.
vii.
viii.
ix.
x.
xi.
xii.
xiii.
xiv.
xv.
xvi.
xvii.
xviii.
xix.
xx.

iv.

4.9K 262 34
By sansasrose

BLOOD WARS | IV.
SELENA BARATHEON
King's Landing | 300 a.c.

"WHAT'S WITH THE ARRIVAL OF ALL THE ladies to court?" Viserys asks her as she watches the many carriages arrive. She noticed him indiscreetly leering at one of the girls and hits him in the chest.

"Ouch!" he exclaimed from beside her, "What was that for?"

"I thought you were trying to join the Kingsguard," Selena asks him, "Did you forget they cannot father children or marry?"

Viserys rolls his eyes, "Yes, yes. Well, I figured till I am a member of the Kingsguard I can look but not touch."

Selena rolls her eyes, but she also finds herself looking at the women. Most of them were quite beautiful and she felt a little insecure. She'd never thought she was the prettiest girl in the world, shamefully she decided that title went to Daenerys.

"I'm getting ladies-in-waiting," she voices, answering Viserys earlier question, "I had Connington send out a raven."

Viserys chuckles, "I can't believe he actually did it."

"Neither can I," Selena says, she then looks up at Viserys. She never knew exactly how to feel about him. He did somewhat worship Rhaegar, but not to the degree Daenerys did. He also was a bit arrogant, thinking that he'd definitely receive the open Kingsguard spot left by Gerold Hightower. But unlike his siblings, Viserys never bothered Selena, he simply let her be and she liked that.

"Tell the ladies that you turn away that my bed chamber is open," Viserys tells her suggestively and Selena slaps him on the shoulder this time Viserys laughs it off as he walks away from the window.

Selena continues to watch, there had to be at least twenty or thirty women. She was curious about which ones were coming for her or simply the experience of being at court or to see the Targaryens. She'd easily weed those women out and then she'd pick out ladies that she knew she could trust, ones that would aid her in her goal of toppling Rhaegar.

She and Rhaenys had decided to keep the information between the two of them for the time being. She'd also heard rumors that Lyanna had begun to make arrangements to travel North, which further solidified the truth in what she had heard the other night.

She decided to hold her interviews in the Great Hall since everyone else in the royal family was occupied with other activities. The ladies lined up outside and Selena begins asking random questions, about their families, hobbies, and other things that allowed her to get a feel for their personalities.

"What is this?" Daenerys asks as she walks in during Selena's interview with a girl named Alla from somewhere in the Riverlands.

Selena smiles at Daenerys, "I'm trying to find my ladies-in-waiting!"

"Really?" Daenerys asks her, "Why do you need them now?"

"Because I'm going back to Storm's End," Selena says happily before looking back at Alla, "Tell me, what are your thoughts on Princess Daenerys?"

Alla glances from her to the Princess, unsure of how to respond, "She's quite lovely, my Lady."

"I see," Selena says, "I don't believe that this is going to work out, can you send the next lady in?"

Alla's face falls as she slowly gets out of the chair and walks toward the large door of the Great Hall. Selena looks over at Daenerys whose mouth is open staring at her surprised.

"You can't not let her into your service because of her opinion of me!" Daenerys asserts.

"Yes, I can," Selena says, "Actually, I just did."

"Do you know how childish you sound? She might have served you well."

Selena stands from her seat, "Do you know why I'm doing this, Princess?"

Daenerys shrugs, "Because you're going home."

Selena nods, "Yes and that means that I need people that are loyal to me and only me. If one of them says something that I don't like, then I have the right to turn them away. As I just did."

"No one is ever going to be completely loyal to you," Daenerys says, "It's unrealistic."

Selena smiles at her answer, "I want you to remember that. No one is ever completely loyal to anyone. That includes your precious older brother."

The door opens and the next woman walks in, forcing Selena to tear her eyes away from Daenerys and look at the newcomer. She had long black hair, but what stuck out most was her eyes. They were violet, like  the new Lord Commander, Arthur Dayne's.

"Hello, I'm Selena Baratheon," she says as she makes her way over.

"Ashara Dondarrion."

Selena smiles at that, this was the first girl native to the Stormlands, "Please take a seat," she looks back over at Daenerys, "Did you plan on staying?"

"No," Daenerys tells her as she heads for the door that she entered through. Selena waits until the door is closed before she begins her questioning of Ashara.

"Ashara Dondarrion. Daughter of Beric Dondarrion and – "

"Allyria Dayne," she answers, "I was named for my Aunt, Ashara Dayne."

"She served as Lady Elia's lady-in-waiting before returning to Starfall," Selena recalls, "Your family seems to have a history of being loyal to the Targaryens."

Ashara smiles at her, "Is that a problem?"

"You tell me," Selena says, "As you know my brothers were killed by Rhaegar. I'm not much of a fan."

"Good," Ashara says, "Because neither am I."

Selena smirks at that, "May I ask why?"

"Your brother was the liege lord to my father. He knew him well, claimed Robert and Stannis were both good men. I've never seen him angrier than when Stannis was publicly executed," Ashara tells her, "You'll find that most people in the Stormlands hold some sort of animosity toward House Targaryen."

"Fascinating," Selena says, "And you'd be willing to stay at court for some time? At least until the King officially approves of my return to Storm's End."

"Of course," Ashara says, "It'd be an honor to serve you."

After Ashara the rest of the girls are either boring, Targaryen loyalists, or both. She does, however, find three other girls that fit exactly what she's looking for. Larrisa Arryn the daughter of the disgraced Lord Arryn and his wife Lysa. Jessamyn Tully who was simply too kind for Selena to turn her away. And finally, Allara Veleyaron. Selena had liked the way she carried herself and the way that her father despised Rhaegar.

"Ladies," Selena says as she gathers them in the Great Hall after finishing with the rest of the girls, "I'd like to thank you all for coming. Recent events have caused me to realize that I need allies, people that I can count on and I'm hoping that I'll be able to count on you four."

The four girls look at each other, almost as though sizing each other up. They were all from different parts of Westeros with families that had fought with or against each other. However, here they were hopefully united for one cause.

"So, what are we doing?" Allara asks, "I mean we're here for a reason, right?"

"Yes," Selena says, "But I haven't thought that far ahead, simply because I didn't expect Connington to send out the ravens so soon."

Ashara laughs, "Connington?"

"Lord Hand – whatever," Selena says flicking her wrist, "Anyway I guess I do have a simple set of rules. The first would be to filter what you say around the royal family. Especially Daenerys Targaryen. She loves to run her mouth off to Rhaegar."

"Second," Selena says, "I assume you all are here to find husbands as well, which is just fine, but Aegon and Viserys Targaryen are off-limits."

"Why?" Larrisa asks and Allara laughs from beside her.

"If you have to ask, then it's clear you may be part of the problem."

"I'm not!" Larrisa exclaims defensively, "I just want to know why not."

"Aegon is most likely going to be betrothed to Margaery Tyrell. If not, then feel free to pursue him. Viserys is working to join the Kingsguard, so he will offer you nothing but a terrible evening."

The ladies laugh at that and Selena smiles, "The third and final rule is that we trust each other. Here at court, the Targaryens will only look out for themselves, so we have to look out for each other, at least until we go to Storm's End. I'll do my best to protect you, but I can only do so much in my position."

"We'll look after you as well," Jessamyn tells her with a genuine smile, and Selena returns it.

"What she said," Ashara tells her as she looks at the rest of the girls, "We protect each other."

"Allies," Larrisa says.

Allara nods with a smile, "Allies."

~*~

"Have you thought any more about what you want to do?" Selena asks Rhaenys. The two of them were walking by the docks, watching as the ships came and went.

"No," Rhaenys says with a sigh, "But I've thought about it and we need to speak to my mother about this. She needs to know."

"Elia will want to go about this peacefully," Selena says, "She'll want to bury it."

"I won't let her," Rhaenys tells her firmly, "I just need advice. She'll know what to do."

Selena sighs but nods, "Okay then. We take it to Elia."

They find the Queen in the castle library, not alone, but with Ser Arthur Dayne. When Elia sees them, she quickly dismisses the knight and gives them her undivided attention.

"Ladies," Elia says, "What can I do for you?"

Selena allows Rhaenys to take the lead, "Mother, Selena and I have discovered something rather, upsetting."

Elia closes her book, "Selena would this have anything to do with what you saw the other night?"

Rhaenys looks at her, "You told her?"

"I freaked out! Rhaegar was threatening Lyanna and I didn't know who to talk to!"

"So it is," Elia deduces, as her eyes dance between the two of them, "Well go on, someone explain."

Selena hands Elia the folded parchment and looks away as she unfolds it. Elia simply stares at it before promptly folding it back up and handing it back to Selena.

"That bastard," she says softly, "Where'd you get that."

"Connington's office," Selena answers and Elia nods.

"You need to return it," Elia tells her firmly, "Before he knows it's gone."

Selena nods her head quickly. Rhaenys takes a step forward, taking her mother's hands int her own as she kneeled before her. Desperation on Rhaenys's face, "Mother what are we going to do?"

"Nothing," Elia says, "You will do nothing."

"But – "

"Rhaenys, you are not going to do anything," Elia states more firmly.

"Actually, she should do something," Selena voices and both sets of eyes look at her, so she explains further, "If this gets out or even if it doesn't. Rhaegar has to have a plan that will satisfy those who will challenge Jon's rule. So, he'll marry Rhaenys off to Jon."

"No," Rhaenys says shaking her head, "Father said I'd get to choose who I'd marry."

"He also said Aegon was his heir," Selena noted, "But that was a lie."

"She's right," Elia says, "He'll want to smooth this over nicely. Marrying you to Jon is the way to do that."

"I've recently learned that Rhaegar isn't too popular in the Seven Kingdoms. Especially amongst a few liege lords. He's trying to secure allies, that means marrying Aegon to the Tyrells, keeping Jon and Lyanna in King's Landing as hostages and possibly marrying Daenerys off to a Lannister or a Tully."

"You've thought about all of this?" Elia asks and Selena simply shrugs.

"Ever since I found out about the annulment all I've done is think and every possibility results in war. All we can do is make sure that the war is in our favor."

"War?" Elia asks, "With what allies?"

"We have Dorne and the Stormlands. They'll back Aegon. As will the Tyrells if he and Margaery were to marry. The Vale and the North will too if they know that Lyanna is a hostage."

"The North went to war for her once, they will not do it again," Elia tells her.

"The North will do whatever Eddard Stark tells them to do," Selena says, "Disgrace or not, he loves his sister."

"This is mad, Selena," Elia tells her, "You're speaking of war."

"I'm speaking of justice," Selena asserts, "Rhaegar abandoned you. He annulled your marriage and has allowed you to think that your children are his heirs when they're not. If anyone should want war, it's you."

"You didn't witness what happened with Robert's Rebellion."

Selena scoffs, "I didn't? I was three years old when I watched Rhaegar publicly execute Stannis. He surrendered after they stormed King's Landing and he said he was going to give him mercy. Death isn't mercy."

"And what will you do?" Elia asks her, "Kill him?"

Selena looks at Rhaenys. No matter what Rhaegar had done, he was her father. Despite her hatred for Rhaegar, she didn't want anyone to ever feel the way she did, "No, I know what it's like to lose family. He should be exiled."

The room is eerily silent after Selena says that. Maybe she's foolish to believe that Elia and Rhaenys would turn against Rhaegar, but it was a gamble she needed to take. By herself, she's powerless, but if she can convince House Martell to support her, then maybe not. Maybe she's capable of something.

"We will figure something out," Elia tells the two of them, "In the meantime, do not tell Aegon. He will react poorly and that's the last thing we want."

"Of course, mother," Rhaenys says as she stands up.

"Be on your best behavior, Selena," Elia states and she nods begrudgingly.

Later that evening, she makes a plan on returning the annulment back to Jon Connington's office. However, she needs some sort of insurance, a way that if anything happens the information is still known.

"He annulled his marriage to the Queen?" Ashara asks, "How is that possible?"

"I'm not sure," Selena answers, "But I have the document right here. Should anything happen to me, you need to know where you can find it after I return it."

"You're returning it?" Allara asks, "Why? This is evidence."

"If they find out that it's missing then they'll enact their plans quicker," Ashara states, "She has no choice but to return it."

"I knew Rhaegar wasn't a good man, but to lie to your wife and children like this," Jessamyn shakes her head, "It's cruel."

"Which is why we have to do something about it," Selena says, "But first I need your help getting this back in Connington's office."

"What do you need us to do?" Larrisa asks.

"Everyone should be at dinner currently. I need you all to be on the lookout. If anyone makes their way back to the Hand's tower, warn me."

"Got it," Allara says and the five of them make their way to the Hand's Tower.

They make it there without any problems and Selena knocks on the door. When there are no answers she looks back at the girls, giving them a nod before heading up the stairs and carefully placing the document back in the book. 

She runs back down the stairs and closes the door behind her and lets out a sigh of relief. Ashara chuckles as she looks at her and Selena shakes her head. She looks at the rest of the girls to see them smiling at her.

Selena smiles back, "Shall we head to dinner then?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

43.5K 3.3K 63
Visenya who is the heir to the Iron Throne just wants to make the realm better and safer like no one did before. While trying to grow up and prepare...
221K 8.5K 190
Aelinor Baratheon stands out in her family. She doesn't have the golden hair and green eyes of her mother and younger siblings. Nor does she have bla...
111K 2.6K 11
π˜ͺ𝘯 𝘡𝘩𝘦 𝘦𝘯π˜₯, - 𝗍𝗁𝖾𝗂𝗋 π—…π—ˆπ—π–Ύ 𝖽𝗂𝖽𝗇'𝗍 π—Œπ–Ίπ—π–Ύ 𝗁𝖾𝗋. ©𝘦𝘀𝘭π˜ͺ𝘱𝘀𝘦π˜ͺ𝘴
49.2K 1.4K 39
Rachelle Targaryen was stolen away to Neverland while the rest of her family was massacred, unbeknown to her of Robert's rebellion or her niece, Daen...