Vehemence

By LieutenantLoki

ve·he·mence ˈvēəməns/ n. the display of strong feeling; passion. Lany, a fresh graduate from the Starfleet Ac... More

Author's Note
Chapter 1
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Epilogue
Author's Note
Déjà Vu - Vehemence Sequel

Chapter 2

893 30 4
By LieutenantLoki

Enterprise

"Hi." The Captain, himself, greeted me as I walked out the shuttle that flew me to the Enterprise. "Hi." I said airily, grinning at him, "Good to see you, Captain Kirk."

He was in complete uniform, hair fixed back and face clean shaven. He had a lot more professional stance today than he did yesterday. A small smile was tugging on his lips that felt welcoming and excited.

"Good to see you too, Lieutenant Nova." He said with a quiet chortle. He gently placed a hand on the small of my back, escorting me through the halls while he tries to make small talk. "Are you ready for your first day?" He asked, briefly giving me a glance. "Nervous," I breathed nervously, "but I'll be okay soon... Still adjusting."

"I'm sure you'll adjust well and fast," he said confidently. He cocked his head a little to the right, like someone inviting you to some secret place. "Let's go here, I'll have you meet someone."

We walked through what felt like endless halls, well-lit with smooth-looking surfaces from ceiling down to the floor. The Captain would tell me a little detail about every significant person that we saw on our way and I would just nod quietly to signal I was listening and mentally taking notes. Finally, we stopped in front of an entryway towards an enclosed room that looked like an office.

"Good morning, Spock!" The Captain shouted with an intention to be heard without repeating himself, and at the same time knocking on the door once before letting himself in without giving the other person inside the room any chance to even say, 'come in.' He motioned for me to follow after him with yet another slight tilt of his head. I hesitantly followed, standing right next to him in front of a desk. I was greeted with a look of... just nothing from this man with pointed ears and pointed eyebrows as well.

Strange... I usually could guess emotions but this man had none. And he seemed awfully familiar. I thought, wondering to myself.

"To what reason would the Captain be going here for, unannounced?" He asked, looking at the Captain and then at me. His voice was deep and monotonous, also something I've heard before. I wondered even more what his relationship was with the Captain, because, to me, his statement sounded so cold and unwelcoming, like he didn't want the Captain interrupting whatever he was doing, and he didn't exert the slightest effort to even hide it. They had to be pretty close for him to be that comfortable to say things like that.

As I raked my brain for answers, a memory popped into my head and the itch was solved: Ah! Professor Spock. Vulcan Studies. How could I not remember --- I laughed mentally, What is there to remember when I would always fall asleep in his class? I snorted, causing both of them to look at me.

I cleared my throat and mumbled an embarrassed "sorry."

"Lieutenant Nova, I am making you a Science officer and you will be under this nice man right here, Commander Spock." The Captain said enthusiastically, gesturing at the professor. "Commander Spock, this is Lieutenant Nova, a very well trained, straight-A graduate, recommended by the Admiral himself. I put her into your responsibility." He continued on, introducing me to the professor.

"If I may speak, Captain, another science officer would be totally unnecessary, especially one under my care, as I did not ask for and do not require any assistance in any form, especially not from a --- forgive me for a lack of better word --- newly graduate with no significant amount of experience. "

I scrunched my nose. Everything he said was true but I found it insulting that he had to say it right at my face. The apology was no use at all.

"That's exactly your duty, Spock, to give her experience. Come on, we all start at nothing." The Captain pushed persistently. "I'm sorry, Captain, but is there anywhere else I could be placed? I believe my presence would only be unacknowledged in this office and as he said it, he does not need any assistance." I said, trying not to make rude comments at the professor.

"You'll be fine here, Lieutenant Nova. I'll check up on you often." He smiled, "Spock is a nice guy. I promise you'll get along."

I just wrinkled my nose in response.

"I'll be leaving you two to be acquainted, if you have questions, don't hesitate to ask me. Goodbye, Lany." He gave me a thumb's up and a wink, "Spock, I'm trusting you." He added seriously, walking towards the door.

"Wait." I called to him before he could leave. He turned his head, his eyebrows raised, and with a patient smile, "Yes?"

"What will I be doing here?" I asked cluelessly. He slightly pursed his lips to think. "That's up to Commander Spock," he ended up saying. "Communicate with him, he's not as bad as he looks. I'll see you!"

I watched the Captain disappear from view as I awkwardly stood, frozen where he left me. I didn't turn back around to him and instead just waited for him to give any instruction or just say anything --- anything at all. Should I be the one to say something? Do I even have the permission to say anything? God, why did it have to be professor Spock. He was always such a boring and serious man. The only thing I liked about him was how his voice could easily bring me to sleep, like milk before bed.

"Lieutenant Nova..." He finally said after what felt like an eternity, motioning for me to sit down on one of the chairs in front of him, "Yes, professor - Commander, sorry." I fumbled, groaning mentally. "You have got outstanding records..." He said, browsing my file, not even taking a second to spare me a glance. "And you have attended my lectures..." He continued on quietly, his eyes never leaving the page. I gulped nervously, hoping he either remembers me for what I was good or not at all. Please don't ask me if I've learned anything, I don't think I can rememb ---

"Were you not always late in my lectures?" He said, finally looking at me with those eyes that were just... there. It was so weird. I've never got to look at him this close before. I always sat at the back of the room so he wouldn't see me sleep.

I awkwardly laughed, "That was... two years ago. I... changed...?" I said, not sure what else to say that could satisfy him. "I'm sorry." I mumbled, more to myself. "Apology accepted." He said, going back to my file and scanning it more before finally standing up and motioning for me to follow him.

We walked out the room and out to the halls, "I will be showing you around so you could familiarize the place quickly just in case I ask you to report somewhere, you would be quick on your way." He said, his hands clasped behind his back. I have also never stood this close to him, I never thought he was this tall. He is literally towering over me, god, I'm scared. I thought he was my height, or at least close, he looked so small during his lectures.

"I have got rules..." He started. Great. "Immediately respond when called and do not be late." He said. I laughed mentally, Yeah, I can't do this. I need to resign. Do they just throw people out if they resigned in the middle of nowhere? That'll be funny. "I must remind you that you are under my supervision and you're my responsibility as assigned by the captain, I don't need you making trouble as it will be reflected on me." He continued on.

"Also, just because you did well in the Academy does not guarantee you can immediately do everything perfect out here so I will be asking you once in a while to perform experiments, I hope that is not a problem to you." Wow, this is just another Starfleet Academy but it's the private tutor version.

He faced me, still talking about more stuff but I just stared at his eyes. I know how Vulcans purge emotions and stuff but I heard he was half-human, that is weird... he's acting like a pure Vulcan. Totally no hints of being human. I heard about what happened to Vulcan, it was truly devastating, I hope it hasn't affected him a lot.

"Forgive me, but I might misinterpret your stare, Lieutenant Nova." He said and I blinked twice at him before shaking my head, "I'm sorry, I was... thinking." I said, "Of course you were." He sarcastically said, almost insultingly while he continued on walking. I gritted my teeth and ignored every urge to kick him.

"This is the medical bay -"

"God Spock, what are you doing in he -" The man stopped talking when he noticed me, "Oh sorry, I thought... youwerealoneorsomething." He said, mumbling the rest.

"This is doctor McCoy, the chief medical officer." Commander Spock introduced, emphasizing on the word 'chief' as if hinting the doctor to act as sophisticated as his title is.

"Please, call me Bones. Pleasure to meet you." He said kindly, his hand held out for me to shake. "Ulani Nova." I smiled, shaking his hand. "Are you okay?" He asked with concern, leaving me confused for a second. "Uhm, yes, doctor... why?" I asked anxiously, thinking that maybe he noticed something that's medically concerning on my face or body, or the way I spoke. He leaned in slightly closer as if he was going to whisper something, "You're spending time with Spock, I just assumed you were already having a headache." He joked, clearing my anxiety and instead making me laugh out loud before Commander Spock sent us both a look. It was just his normal, plain look, yet I don't know why I got scared.

"On to the next," he said, very slightly tilting his head for me to follow. I waved the doctor goodbye before leaving with the Commander. He showed me to the quarters and other lounging areas before we went down to what seemed like the Engineering department. All sorts of people running and rushing from one place to another. Everyone was busy and loud. It was hard to focus on anyone and anything at all.

Commander Spock was explaining something about the ship and its functions, all in detail, but I was too bored to pay even a single drop of attention.

Why is his voice so booOOOoOoooOring? I was mentally groaning, throwing my head back in boredom.

"Hey. Commander Spock, what are ye doing down 'ere?" A voice with what seemed to be a Scottish accent took me out my complaining and I turned my head to see whom it was coming from. "Ah, you brought company, 'ey there lassy." A man with messy brown hair and wrinkled face said with a huge smile. I smiled back kindly, "Hello, sir." I said with a curt nod. "The name's Montgomery Scott. They all call me Scotty so feel free to do so as well." He said with a wave of a hand, granting me permission to call him his nickname.

"Nice meeting you, Scotty. I'm Ulani, but friends call me Lany, so feel free to do so too," I said with the same energy as his, making him smile appreciatively. "Lany, tha's a nice name," he complimented. "You tourin' her 'round, Spock?" He turned to the Commander, waiting for a response. When he didn't answer, I nodded quickly, "he is."

"Oh okay, well have fun then." He waved both me and the Commander off before walling away and throwing a white face towel over his shoulder.

***

"Permission to enter the bridge, Captain." Commander Spock said as the elevator door opened. Should I say that as well? I asked to myself, looking at the Commander and then at the Captain. But before I could open my mouth to repeat what Commander Spock said, the Captain already replied, "Permission, granted. Hi Lany," he said with a smile.

"Hello, Captain Kirk." I replied with a grin. He got up, walking towards me but with his eyes on the Commander. "Spock, act Captain," he said briefly. "I'll be going out for a few minutes."

"Yes, Captain." Commander Spock said, sitting on the sole chair located in the middle of the wide room.

We walked out and got into the elevator with no other words spoken. "How was your day with Spock?" He asked as the doors closed, trying to make casual conversations. "It was great." I said with a fake enthusiasm.

"You can tell me honestly." He nudged me lightly. "How'd you know I'm not already being honest?" I asked sarcastically with a light laugh. "Well, for one, no one ever says their time with Spock was great, and two, you look exhausted." We got off the elevator and continued walking, with him leading, towards the small bar if I was recalling correctly from the little tour with mr. Spock earlier.

I sighed deeper than I intended. "It was... a bit intimidating... I'm sorry." I mumbled, looking down at my feet. He laughed, proud that he was correct, "I kinda knew that was gonna happen. I'm sorry about him- Spock. He's like that on first meetings, I promise he'll be less strict as time pass. Just be more patient."

We sat down on the stools in front of the counter. "Would you mind drinking?" He asked, and I shook my head. "Not at all."

He walked behind the counter and opened a tiny drawer, pulling a fancy-looking bottle out. It was probably more expensive than all the combined cheap alcohols I used to drink after every hell week in the academy.

I looked around the dimly-lit place, trying to read the labels on each and every alcohol displayed on the built-in shelf on the wall behind the counter. He must've noticed how tensed I was still so he asked if I was alright and I only nodded in reply, still busy reading the labels, though I could hardly make one out.

"You can act casual, I'm your friend when we're not at work." He said reassuringly as he wipes two small glasses clean with a white towel. "What did you and Spock do today?"

I placed my chin on my hand as I leaned on the counter, watching him open different compartments, taking everything he needed and then putting them back after. "We walked around. He showed me my locker and my room, the laboratory, med bay, all lounge areas, and then we went to the Engineering... He gave me lots and lots and LOTS of rules, he also slipped some additional information about the ship here and there, he gave me rules, and --- oh did I mention he gave me lots and lots of rules?" I said sarcastically, making him chortle at my response. "Did you get all the rules?" He said in amusement, finally pouring an appropriate amount of alcohol on each two glass after putting ice in them.

"I kinda spaced out after a while," I admitted, adding in a quiet voice, "I hope they weren't too important." He lets out another chortle, handing me my glass and sitting next to me. "You don't need to listen to them all. I didn't when I was at the Academy. M'sure it's the same." We both laughed at his statement. "You've got quite the reputation, Captain." I smiled, tilting my head a little to look at my glass.

The doctor that I met a while ago at Med Bay, Doctor McCoy, walked in, making me look up from my glass and to his direction. He sat next to Captain Kirk, his hands clasped together on the counter. "Hi Ulani," he greeted with a tight-lipped smile afterwards. "Hello, doctor." I managed to give him a little wave of the hand. "How was your tour with Spock?" He asked, although his expression says he already knows I didn't have a good day. I scrunched my nose and, like as if that's all I needed to do, he bursted out laughing loudly. His contagious laugh getting me and the Captain.

"I pray to all the gods to give you the patience you need."

"Come on now, Spock's not that bad." The Captain said in defense of his dear First Officer, "He's just a bit... restrained. You know, he's not very good with his emotions, Lany."

"I've heard." I smiled. "He's a Vulcan, yes?" The two nodded. "How was he after what happened to Vulcan?" I asked nosily, "Was he still... You know, a stone, robot, emotionless?"

"He was devastated about it... Especially when Jim right here, triggered his emotions. He was so mad." Doctor McCoy explained and I just nodded as a response.

I didn't want to talk anymore about the Vulcan behind his back as it always made me uncomfortable when I acquire knowledge from people they did not tell me personally.

I excused myself from the two after about two shots because my alcohol tolerance wasn't as good as theirs yet so I didn't want to join them in drinking.

I walked back to my quarters and decided I'd just end my day here, if this was even a day. I didn't even know anymore. I sleepily lied on my bed and waited for myself to completely drift to sleep.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

852 27 7
Requests are: Closed A book full of one shots (sometimes with a second part) that I write for different characters in Star Trek, including TOS, AOS...
5.9K 173 14
[Entered in Watty's 2016] Krystine T. Kirk joins her dad on the Enterprise after successfully graduating Starfleet Academy. Her first day doesn't g...
21.6K 589 23
At the Academy Bones, Lex and Jim were inseparable until Lex was assigned to base on Endoran just 2 weeks before the destruction of Vulcan. Wwhen new...
15.6K 528 10
James T. Kirk. A narcissistic, playboy with a tragic past. Ariana Hebel. A girl who lost her way after her parents' death and trying to find her pla...