The Bittersweet Mission

By zap427

Based on a prompt I found online, this is a story of one of the last missions Anakin, Obi-Wan, and Ahsoka go... More

Setting the Stage
The New Assignment
Playing Their Parts
Meetings
A Little Break
A Little More Freedom
"I knew this was a bad idea."
Truce
Catching Up
Highlights
Times of the Past
This Should Be Interesting
A Little Rain on the Parade
Pickup Day
Stakeout
Baby Blue
One Last Day: Part 1
One Last Day: Part 2
Return of the Facade
Author's Note
Bonus Scene #1: The First Night
Bonus Scene #2: A Walk
Bonus Scene #3: An Unheard Conversation
Bonus Scene #4: A Proper Goodbye

Full Moon Fest

451 19 5
By zap427

     Doll looked at the four of them appraisingly. Mark Laritzso and Rohja Gtaa stood just behind her, making a total of three unexpected guests that evening, although it would be four if they counted the human man that stood to the side of Doll, perhaps as her date. 

     Each of them wore considerably lavish clothing, some of which was bedazzled to reflect the odd blue lights hung in front of each vendor's booth and storefront for the night.

     Doll was the first to speak.

     "It's good to see that all of you made it to the festival. We weren't sure whether we would see you here or not."

      Anakin nodded out of courtesy. "We heard about it recently, and we decided to come see it for ourselves," he paused for a second, he then decided to ask, "Do you usually attend?"

     "Yes. In fact, Sam, who also attended our luncheon, usually participates in some of the drum performances. You may see him tonight as well."

     "This is a special night for him," Mark added, earning a sidelong glance from Doll. "There are many special celebrations for his ancestors and others who have lived here in the past."

     "Really?" Anakin inquired. "We haven't heard much about the history of the event. We were only told that it has ties to the moon."

     "Well, it does occur tonight due to the full moon," Doll explained. "However, the main reason it is associated with the moon is actually due to the moon's association with those who have passed away here. The festival is a celebration of lives once lived here and their connections to those who are here now. That is why you will see many people dressed as spirits in the parade and various performances. It contrasts with this weekend's Sun Fair, which celebrates the life of the present. This festival was simply never given an official title although it happens every few months and has become commonplace."

     "It sounds very interesting. I'd like to hear more, but it looks like everything is about to begin," Padmé spoke up, gesturing to the crowd gathering around a central stage in the marketplace.

     "Oh yes," Doll conceded. "We don't want to miss this."

     Ahsoka and Obi-Wan shared a glance, and the two of them closely followed their friends as they approached the stage.

     A voice suddenly rung out above the surrounding noise.

     "Welcome! Welcome all festival-goers! We are happy to celebrate another evening with you all! We hope you are ready for tonight's performances, as everyone has been working extra hard to make this evening special. Many of you may already know the story behind our celebration, but for those of you who do not, please stick around to see our very own academy students perform the play of our history.

      "Now, without further ado, let the festival begin!"

     The crowd began to cheer and whistle, and then it parted in two as the first parade set off on its march through the city. 

     Everyone watched eagerly as the first group of beings set out in their ghostly apparel and twirled to the some sort of flute-like tune. It definitely set the tone for the event, and surprisingly, the spirited figures were made to appear quite beautiful rather than haunted.

     Behind them was the first band, with each person carrying an instrument of their own.

     Behind that group were at least a dozen more figures painted white and twirling ribbons that created the illusion of blue flames in the air around them.

     And behind that group were many other assorted forms of entertainment.

     It was a very impressive display of fluid movement, talent, and formation.

     Anakin stole a glance at Padmé, who's eyes were showing her delight. 

     Leaning down, he whispered, "Still not as great as the festivals on Naboo."

     Upon hearing this, she laughed, squeezing his arm. "That's not a very polite thing to say, Myn. They clearly worked hard to put this together. Someone here might think you're biased."

     He hummed in response. "I am a bit biased. I'm quite fond of the festivals there. I remember some good times, although... I must admit some were less than ideal."

    Padmé risked looking at Obi-Wan in remembrance of the events of the Festival of Light on Naboo, but his eyes were focused on Doll, who was clapping appreciatively at one of the parade floats.

     "Well, we'll have to make sure your future festival experiences are more memorable in a good way," Padmé said softly back to Anakin, meeting his eyes.

     He was about to respond, but Doll interrupted them.

     "The two of you should join myself and my good friend for dinner this evening," she called out over the noise, looking their way. "We had reserved seating for Mark and Rohja, but they've decided they want to explore the rest of the festival a bit more."

     Anakin made eye contact with Obi-Wan and Ahsoka and then Padmé before responding. "We would gladly join you, but I presume servants won't be allowed?"

     "No, but perhaps you should let them enjoy the night. I'm sure it will be quite some time before you get to enjoy a festival like this again, so maybe it would be good to let them walk around as well."

     Noticing Anakin's hesitance, she continued. "They could even accompany Mark and Rohja if you're that worried about them. I've noticed that the two of you seem to be very fond of them, and I'm sure Mark and Rohja would make sure no trouble finds them."

     Anakin grimaced slightly, but relented. "Very well."

    He turned to Ahsoka and Obi-Wan. "Sasha and Vinorin, you are free to enjoy the festival tonight, but I expect you to stay out of trouble and return to us before the end of the last event so that we can leave together."

     Together his former master and his padawan bowed deeply, muttering their thanks.

     Padmé looked between the three of them worriedly, but didn't say anything.

     Doll smiled and took the arm of the man who was with her. "Good. Now, that that's settled, why don't we head to the restaurant? They have special appetizers for the event."

      And so, she led the couple away, leaving Ahsoka and Obi-Wan standing awkwardly next to Rohja and Mark.

     "Why don't we head over there for some drinks, eh?" Mark said cheerfully to Obi-Wan, placing a hand on his shoulder to tug him away. "I'm sure you could use one right about now..."

     Ahsoka looked to Obi-Wan in alarm, but Mark was moving him away pretty fast. 

     Just be careful, She could almost hear him say. Find your way back to Anakin and Padmé.

     Feeling more guarded now, she faced Rohja.

     "What would you like to see, kid?" Rohja asked with starry eyes that seemed impossible to read. "I thought about sticking around here for the dances. Want to stay?"

     Ahsoka looked around in the directions that everyone else had disappeared. "Sure, why not?"

*****

     Padmé looked over the edge of her menu at Doll. "Do you have a favorite meal to order here?"

    "Oh, yes. I always order their sautéed shellfish. It's served over thin pasta with their own sauce, and it's absolutely divine. It's seasonal."

     "Hmm, I'll have to consider that," Padmé said thoughtfully. "What about you, An--ahem, Myn?"

    Anakin looked over at his blushing wife, though thankfully no one seemed to notice her almost slip-up. "That does sound good, but I've already decided on the steak."

     The man who came with Doll, who had been introduced to them as Adder, nodded in agreement. "I think I'll have to choose the same. They always cook their meat precisely."

     After a few minutes, they had placed their order and were eating a type of roasted vegetable while they waited.

     "So, how long have the two of you been married, Mr. and Mrs. Thorne?" Doll asked. "I heard it hasn't been very long."

     "Only a few months," Anakin lied easily, recalling the details of the couple in custody. "But it feels like the ceremony was yesterday." 

     "You're still newlyweds?" Adder looked on them with a surprised expression. 

     "Yes," Padmé said as Anakin took her hand. "It really hasn't been that long, I suppose."

     "Well, anyone with eyes can see how in love the both of you are. It's good that you found each other while you're still young."

     "I just feel lucky to have met Shiemma," Anakin replied simply.

     "Adder is right," Doll said. "It's good that you found each other."

     Raising her glass, she eyed each of them. "To love."

     Echoing her sentiment, they all took a sip.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

32.6K 696 35
Ahsoka Tano's life has changed since the rebellion on Onderon. Her thoughts dwell on Lux Bonteri, the newly appointed Senator. She knows attachment i...
30.5K 1.1K 55
Obi-Wan had an extended mission on Mandalore when he was younger, protecting the Duchess. We never got to see their story, and this is what I believe...
341K 9.4K 200
COVER BY THE LOVELIEST OF HUMAN BEINGS @emmycristina_ I've felt very inspired since finishing the Clone Wars to write some oneshots/what ifs about...
153K 3.8K 52
A storyline if Anakin left the Jedi Temple with Ahsoka rather than remaining there. Prepare for a different way Anakin looks at the Jedi, the Sith, a...